Voodoo is putting pins in his backlog

voodoo_eyes

5 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

My biggest problem (well, maybe not so big) is that I tend to finish newer games rather than the games in my backlog, and I can't play 2 games at once. I wish I could - maybe I'd be able to finish games faster.

It comes down to a matter of preference. For you going for a game at a time seems to work well enough and as long as you get enjoyment out of it, there's no reason to change that approach.

For me it's the opposite, as I generally can't focus on just one game (unless it's of the Souls franchise), as I then tend to reach a point where I get bored of the game. Especially when it's games that need 2 or more playthroughs. I find it difficult to do those back-to-back unless the game is fun from start to finish.

• Like 2

Finished up Syberia, which doesn't hold up as well as I had hoped. I remember it being pretty good when I played it on PC, but the PS3 version doesn't come close to it. It doesn't run smoothly and the character gets stuck on every corner, which takes away the enjoyment of the game.

Also platted Xblaze Lost: Memories. Only worth it for the easy plat, as the "game" itself is pretty poor.

Dropped Forma 8 as I can't bring myself to play more of that trash any longer. One of the worst ps plus games by far.

• 2 weeks later...

Plat #230 was Cosmic Star Heroine, which was a fun little old school RPG. It falls a bit on the short side but offers a good variation in gameplay thanks to the various customizable abilities.

As always some new additions:

• Kona
  • Demetrios
  • Full Throttle Remastered
  • The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing

• 2 weeks later...

A few more plats out of the way. #231-233 were Demetrios for the Vita, Kona and Full Throttle Remastered.

Demetrios was alright. Props to how the Vita version was adapted.

Kona is pretty much forgettable, constant game freezing and having to wait for it to load was annoying and it even froze the game entirely at one point.

Full Throttle was pretty good, but disappointingly short in it's length.

New addition:

• Matterfall
Edited by voodoo_eyes

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a bit to update this time around. 5 plats, 100%ed game and one that I won't be getting back to.

#234 was the PS4 version of Demetrios. Pretty much like the Vita version, although I preferred that one.

#235 was another stack. This time for the ps3 version of The Book of Unwritten Tales 2. Still a good point-and-click, but not as good as it was the first time around.

Dropped GTA V for ps3. Plat is unobtainable and the online can be wiped from the face of the earth for all I care.

#236 ended up being another plus game. Wanted Corp for the Vita, which is a complete technical mess and was one of the worst Vita games I played.

#237 ended up being a game I had no real intentions of going back to, but due to upcoming server closure I ended up wrapping up Killzone 3.

Also got the 100% in Uncanny Valley, which was just plain boring.

#238 was similar to the previous game. Hadn't played Metro 2033 Redux in a few years and decided to give it another go.

New additions:

• The Solus Project
  • Salt & Sanctuary
  • Exist Archive
Edited by voodoo_eyes

Finished up a couple more games.

Plat #239 was Broken Age, which will continue to be one of my least favourite point-and-click games ever.

Plat #240 was Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness, and was a bit of a let-down  Endings were to similar and the minigame had no reason for being there.

Added 3 more games to the backlog:

• Rogue Trooper Redux
  • Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • Akiba's Beat

• 2 weeks later...

Have been messing about with several games I've no intention to plat.

GTA IV - still have the same issues I had when I played it the first time round back when it launched. Driving is awful, the checkpoints are a mess and glitches that force you to restart the game. Oh and let's not forget the absolutely retarded AI.

Red Dead Redemption - Story was alright and the shooting was fun. The problem comes with having to ride constantly back and forth through the desert, with the worst waypoint system ever. Had to restart the game a few times,because the NPCs glitched out and stopped moving halfway through missions. It also froze the console 3 times in a row.

Call of Duty: World at War - It's alright I guess. The missions being like 15 minutes each is disappointing though.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Got the plat in another mediocre Telltale game. Story was meh, game broke once and the lip sync is still slightly off.

New additions:

• Ghost Recon Wildlands
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Like 1

Red Dead Redemption also has crappy servers. 

I’ve had several instances of my game being stuck on the loading screen, especially when I jump on a free roam session with only 2 - 4 players. Other times I can get onto a session with 16 players without waiting for long at all. 

Then there’s the hacking and the people who glitch. It’s a pain in the ass getting those online trophies.

I have no real interest in the TellTale games. I have no idea how people can sit through stacking the same TellTale game several times. 

I hear it’s possible to get into a hacked lobby in Call of Duty World at War. Shame,   but that’s to be expected from old PS3 games. 

Good progress thus far. Salt & Sanctuary looks pretty fun. 

21 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Red Dead Redemption also has crappy servers. 

I’ve had several instances of my game being stuck on the loading screen, especially when I jump on a free roam session with only 2 - 4 players. Other times I can get onto a session with 16 players without waiting for long at all. 

Then there’s the hacking and the people who glitch. It’s a pain in the ass getting those online trophies.

I have no real interest in the TellTale games. I have no idea how people can sit through stacking the same TellTale game several times. 

I hear it’s possible to get into a hacked lobby in Call of Duty World at War. Shame,   but that’s to be expected from old PS3 games. 

Good progress thus far. Salt & Sanctuary looks pretty fun. 

Yeah, I hear that RDR servers aren't great. I wished the sequel would cut out the online entirely, but considering who the publisher is it's pretty much a 0% chance of that happening.

I enjoyed most of the Telltale games, but only end up stacking them if they end up free on plus. I feel most aren't really worth replaying as the outcomes are usually scripted anyway.

Hacked lobbies are the worst. Not really sure what kind of satisfaction people get from being able to see/shoot through walls or be unkillable and whatnot. It just makes them dicks really. It seems to be mostly a CoD and Rockstar issue though for some reason (I might be wrong, but I can't remember a Battlefield game that's been hacked to oblivion).

Anyway... another plat earned. #242 LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens was a lot of fun and the grind wasn't as tiresome as it is in their other games. Still a few minor annoyances here and there though.

Couple more plats done by now.

Rogue Trooper Redux - Decent game that has a few graphical issues and at times atrocious lip sync. Online portion was exceptionally bland.

Rime - Not my kind of game. The game is pretty and the platforming feels right for the most part, that's about it though.Has one or two chapters that have massive frame rate issues when turning the camera.

New additions:

• Feral Fury
  • Serial Cleaner

46 minutes ago, fabmorais_2011 said:

I can see you have a lukewarm reaction to most of the latest games you played. Hope you get to play some fun ones soon!

I'm going to start Cat Quest today, which I think will be more enjoyable than the last couple of games. I'll also be getting back to FF XV which I enjoy, so there will definitely be some good stuff  I've been playing some other games as well, that I enjoy, but I haven't finished them yet, so they haven't been part of the updates.

• Like 1

Another 2 plats to add.

Cat Quest. which ended up not being as good as I had hoped. Still a somewhat fun game that has a bunch of minor annoyances.

Dead Effect 2 wasn't all that great either. For a mobile game it was good I guess, but it got repetitive fast and the grind for 10k kills was extremely boring.

New additions to the backlog:

• Styx Shards of Darkness
  • Ben 10
  • The Evil Within 2

Plats #247 and #248 done.

Serial Cleaner was really fun. Reminded me a bit of Commandos gameplay-wise, although less complex and with a completely different theme. Who'd have thought that cleaning up crime scenes could be fun?

Ben 10 on the other hand was pretty weak. Dull gameplay and unpolished mechanics made this a bore to play.

New additions:

• Shadow Warrior 2
  • Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier
Edited by voodoo_eyes

• 2 weeks later...

Two more plats to add

#249 Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier - Predictable story and poor technical optimization keep this from being good. Even though the facial animations are well done for the most part and the game looks fairly good, it's not enough to make it any more than a borderline decent game.

#250 Final Fantasy XV - This one really kept me hooked. It's rare for a game to keep me playing for 5 or so hours straight. That being said, there are a few things I have issues with. The magic system is garbage and the party AI isn't very good.Continuous interruptions and moaning from said members were also somewhat annoying and got in the way of the gameplay a bit.

I also decided to drop Red Faction II. It's an alright game, that didn't age well. Having to play through it 4 times to get the various endings is just not worth it, so I'll content myself with having played through it once.

Edited by voodoo_eyes

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since my last update and a lot of stuff has happened since then.

Two 100% games completed. The first one was Contrast, which was a fun experience with coll mechanics, great aesthetic and good music. The other one was HiQ Ace, which wasn't that good. Essentially it's the most basic jigsaw puzzle game you can imagine.

Also have six plats to add.

Under Defeat HD Deluxe Edition (#251) - mediocre schmup, that lacked variety and game modes.

Sound Shapes (#252-#254) - interesting game, that ended up being overly dependent on RNG. As a result Death Mode just felt unfair at times.

Teslagrad (#255) - a platformer/metroidvania that had an interesting concept, but it's execution was bad. The controls aren't tight enoughthe story is garbage and the gameplay itself isn't all that great either

Agents of Mayhem (#256) - fun game, that could have been great. The lack of a minimap, needless collectible grinding and glitched online contracts end up holding this back.

New additions:

• Mages of Mystralia
  • Hidden Dragon Legend

• 2 weeks later...

A few more plats to add to the list.

#257 - Ginger: Beyond the Crystal was a fairly poor experience overall and one of hte worst platformers I've played.

#258 - Claire (PS4) was pretty good consifering I didn't like Lone Survivor at all and they are similar games.

#259 - Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey was a bit of a mess when it comes to quest structure and events. Still a solid game.

#260 - Chaos on Deponia could've been better than the first installment, but the inclusion of dumb minigames negate that.

New additions:

• Knack 2
  • Uncharted: The Last Legacy
  • Jydge
  • Twin Robots
  • Spellspire
  • Serious Same 3
  • Constructor
  • Time Recoil
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last update and by now I've a few plats to add.

#263 Ride 2 - The first on was better, because the devs decided to make this one pointlessly grindy.

#264 Constructor - Fun RTS, that actually works well on console.

#265 Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden - Mediocre hidden object game.

#266 Tera - Alright MMO that has severe performance issues, texture popping and a terrible draw distance. If it wasn't free, it would be trash.

#267 Don't Knock Twice - Decent horror game, that is just a bit too short. It also overcommits on the jump scares.

#268 Forma 8 - Hated it

New additions:

• Silence - PS4
  • Baja Edge of Control HD - PS4
  • White Day: A Labyrinth Named School - PS4
  • Need for Speed - PS4
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2 - PS3
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia U Action Unleashed - Vita
  • Yomawari: Night Alone - Vita
  • Beyond Two Souls - PS4
  • Like 1

#269 Silence - Very enjoyable point-and-click game, that looks fantastic. The story could've been better though.

Forgot to mention in my previous post, that I dropped Gravity Rush 2. The game keeps making me feel ill, so I don't see the point in continuing it.

New additions:

• Nex Machina
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
  • Earthlock - Festival of Magic
  • WRC 6
  • Megatagmension Blanc + Neptune vs Zombies

I notice you're playing a lot of games where you're commenting that they could of been better, the game sucks, this was horrible to play through, etc.

I always do my research before I buy a game, whether I buy a physical copy off of Amazon or buy a digital only game through the Store. I watch any Youtube videos of gameplay footage and if it's something I'm interesting in playing or even just trying out, I decide whether or not to buy the game.

Personally I just think a lot of these newer games like Don't Knock Twice and the slew of shit indie games are just not worth my time. So I don't buy them.

Not sure if you actually enjoy playing through medicore games or what.

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

I notice you're playing a lot of games where you're commenting that they could of been better, the game sucks, this was horrible to play through, etc.

I always do my research before I buy a game, whether I buy a physical copy off of Amazon or buy a digital only game through the Store. I watch any Youtube videos of gameplay footage and if it's something I'm interesting in playing or even just trying out, I decide whether or not to buy the game.

Personally I just think a lot of these newer games like Don't Knock Twice and the slew of shit indie games are just not worth my time. So I don't buy them.

Not sure if you actually enjoy playing through medicore games or what.

Well, any game could be better. There isn't a game that's perfect. No matter how much you like a game, if you look objectively at it, you'll find something to improve on.

I always do my research as well, and buy whatever I think might be enjoyable in some way. A lot of people don't seem to understand that there aren't just good and bad games and instead put anything that's in-between into the bad game category by default. The fact is that the vast majority of games, books, movies, shows, well anything really is purely mediocre. That doesn't mean that there is no fun to be had though.

Sometimes what looks like an OK game turns into one that is better or worse than expected, but you won't know until you've actually played the game. Just watching gameplay doesn't cut it in those cases.

Sure, if games like Don't Knock Twice and indies don't appeal to you from the get-go, that's fair. I prefer to try them out and have often been pleasantly surprised., even though there are definitely the occasional bad apples among them. All I know is that I would've regretted it more not playing the ones that turned out to be good, than playing the bad ones that came along with it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Well, any game could be better. There isn't a game that's perfect. No matter how much you like a game, if you look objectively at it, you'll find something to improve on.

I always do my research as well, and buy whatever I think might be enjoyable in some way. A lot of people don't seem to understand that there aren't just good and bad games and instead put anything that's in-between into the bad game category by default. The fact is that the vast majority of games, books, movies, shows, well anything really is purely mediocre. That doesn't mean that there is no fun to be had though.

Sometimes what looks like an OK game turns into one that is better or worse than expected, but you won't know until you've actually played the game. Just watching gameplay doesn't cut it in those cases.

Sure, if games like Don't Knock Twice and indies don't appeal to you from the get-go, that's fair. I prefer to try them out and have often been pleasantly surprised., even though there are definitely the occasional bad apples among them. All I know is that I would've regretted it more not playing the ones that turned out to be good, than playing the bad ones that came along with it.

Looking at the games you play it definitely looks like you're taking a bit of a gamble.

I bought games like Shovel Knight knowing full well I will enjoy them because they catered to my specific interests and I also have a lot of experience playing platformers. I bought the Mega Man games with trophy support because I really enjoy them.

I found other games like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture to be a pain to play through because it was just boring. A cool, short adventure taking place in a fictionalized 1980s rural England, but one I was more than glad to be done when I earned the platinum.

If you look at my profile I have already played a number of indie games. I don't like games that are obvious trophy grabs like Little Adventure on the Prairie, indie games that are just out there for the developer to make a quick buck. Compared to the PS3 library the quality check has definitely gone for the worse on the PS4. Because a lot of what I'm seeing I've already seen on Steam, and Steam is just filled with shitty shovelware games not worth anybody's time.

Last September I decided to stop with just getting games purely for trophies and focus more on games I wanted to get. All the inFamous games, a few indie games like Velocity 2X, a couple retro styled games like Sonic Mania, etc etc etc.

I couldn't care less about the leaderboards because the idea of just spamming easy platinums and getting Japanese visual novels just for trophies and nothing else is just a big waste of time. So I looked back at what I did and decided to just play a number of games that have already been established.

The last few 100 percent games I've played have all been indie, and they were all good in their own way. Mediocrity to me is something that I barely get any enjoyment out of. Orc Slayer for example borders on terrible and being medicore at best.

In my mind, the PS4 library is filled with medicore games I won't bother to ever buy, let alone touch. The PS3 library definitely looks like it has games that actually had you putting effort in to get all the trophies.

14 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

#269 Silence - Very enjoyable point-and-click game, that looks fantastic. The story could've been better though.

Forgot to mention in my previous post, that I dropped Gravity Rush 2. The game keeps making me feel ill, so I don't see the point in continuing it

I might have to check out Silence, I love a good point-and-click game.  Seems like a pretty long one too compared to most.

I can relate to what you're saying about Gravity Rush, I played the first one on my old account and it gave me terrible motion sickness.  It's a shame because the games are rated so highly and I just couldn't enjoy it.