Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

50 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Ascension only seems to be a Catholic thing. I don't think Easter and Christmas are national holidays, but Easter is always on a Sunday, and most of the skilled workforce is off on Sunday. Christmas is a de facto holiday for just about every employer. In any case, most stores are still closed on Easter and Christmas (some grocery stores like Walmart will open on part of Christmas though). It was only a few decades ago that almost everywhere closed each Sunday.

Ascension is definitely a Protestant thing as well :). And yeah, Easter is always on a Sunday but for some reason ''2nd day of Easter'' is also a thing so most people have the Monday after Easter as a holiday as well here :P.

38 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Captain Toad is more entertaining than I thought it would be. Money well spent.

Good, only really been playing Mario Kart 8 so far as it's so damn addictive :lol:. I think I'll try Captain Toad out tonight for a bit though.

By the by, glad I stumbled upon this thread. Good reason to check PSNP at least once a day :lol:.

34 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

It's nice to Switch things up (man, that should have been a marketing campaign - "It's Time to Switch Things Up, With Nintendo Switch!").

51Bkr0SM1BL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Also...

For Rayman Legends, I gave up (at least for now) on the "8-bit" world remix levels. The Eye of the Tiger one is too frustrating for me. I can make it to the (first of probably many) alternating dragon/worms, where you have to avoid the spiked one by jumping over it and only touching the non-spiked one. I had lots of trouble getting the timing down on the regular version of the level for that part, and doing it again with reduced visual clarity? No, this is not my idea of fun.

... it IS my idea of fun, though :D

And you'll definitely hate the later ones, if this one already is giving you trouble. Might just want to YouTube what you're missing :)

I like this sort of challenge, to the point that playing this chapter again was what I was looking forward to the most when Rayman Legends got on PS+.

Right now I'm going through the Murphy's Touch stages, and enjoying them a lot. That said, it's harder to get 100% in those levels than I originally thought. Globox is pretty dumb, so getting him to grab all the Lums (either the loose ones, the ones from hitting enemies, or from freeing Teensies) is tricky. Still, they are fun. Maybe I will switch priorities to one of the Back to Origins worlds as my "token 100% completion world" instead of Murphy's Touch, since I have already decided I won't aim for 100% in the game as a whole.

BOOOOOH! Half-assed! Put a little effort into it!

59e8c05c7e7e3797601bb7dba9ab0217ce67725a

16 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Good, only really been playing Mario Kart 8 so far as it's so damn addictive :lol:. I think I'll try Captain Toad out tonight for a bit though.

As long as you're not one of those people who's too self-conscious about playing a bright and kid-safe game, it'll be alright. Captain Toad has more content and variation than I expected.

16 minutes ago, Lucas said:

By the by, glad I stumbled upon this thread. Good reason to check PSNP at least once a day :lol:.

I think we're all glad we have this thread. Can't imagine having most of the discussions we're having here on a dedicated Nintendo forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Ascension is definitely a Protestant thing as well :). And yeah, Easter is always on a Sunday but for some reason ''2nd day of Easter'' is also a thing so most people have the Monday after Easter as a holiday as well here :P.

I should have said, Ascension is only a Catholic thing in the USA. I had never heard of it until today.

We don't have any 2-day holidays in the US, except for the "time off" exception for national holidays. The way that works is, if a national holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, you'll get the Friday or Monday off if you work a Monday-Friday job.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Yeah, it's a fun thread. Welcome!

41 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

... it IS my idea of fun, though :D

And you'll definitely hate the later ones, if this one already is giving you trouble. Might just want to YouTube what you're missing :)

I like this sort of challenge, to the point that playing this chapter again was what I was looking forward to the most when Rayman Legends got on PS+.

Oh I'm sure. I've never really been a completionist though - the closest I've ever come is 100%ing LEGO games and going for Platinums here and there. But my backlog is too big and my tolerance level for "nonsense" is too log to waste time on memorizing timing for checkpoint-less platforming levels. I'd rather use that time to play something else.

41 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

BOOOOOH! Half-assed! Put a little effort into it!

Spoiler

1154986.jpg?b64lines=Tm8gb2ZmZW5zZSwKIEh

1157489.jpg?b64lines=IEJ1dCBJJ20gdXNpbmc

I DID put a little effort into it. I bought Rayman Legends physical, so I actually had to open the cardboard box, then open the shrink wrapped game case. AND every time I switch physical games, I have to swap out the game cards! Man, if that's not effort, I don't know what is! What's next, getting up off the couch?!?

Edited by MosesRockefeller

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I should have said, Ascension is only a Catholic thing in the USA. I had never heard of it until today.

We don't have any 2-day holidays in the US, except for the "time off" exception for national holidays. The way that works is, if a national holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, you'll get the Friday or Monday off if you work a Monday-Friday job.

In Germany we have 3 2-day holidays. At Easter, at Whitsun/Pentecost (never heard of these english words) and on Christmas. There we have the 25th and 26th plus normaly only have a day on the 24th.

14 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Oh I'm sure. I've never really been a completionist though - the closest I've ever come is 100%ing LEGO games and going for Platinums here and there. But my backlog is too big and my tolerance level for "nonsense" is too log to waste time on memorizing timing for checkpoint-less platforming levels. I'd rather use that time to play something else.

I'd see stupid grindy trophies as "wasting time" but not going for 100% completion in say, Rayman Legends, Super Mario 64 or such.

I find myself not having that drive with Super Mario Odyssey - too many moons lying about and not on real goals. I thought the star system in Super Mario 64 and the teensies system in Rayman Legends were much better.

I DID put a little effort into it. I bought Rayman Legends physical, so I actually had to open the cardboard box, then open the shrink wrapped game case. AND every time I switch physical games, I have to swap out the game cards! Man, if that's not effort, I don't know what is! What's next, getting up off the couch?!?

Yeah, physical games are too much effort for me ? I hear you. So what you're saying is, you'll 100% Rayman Legends, but only after you sell the physical game and buy it digitally?

11 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

In Germany we have 3 2-day holidays. At Easter, at Whitsun/Pentecost (never heard of these english words) and on Christmas. There we have the 25th and 26th plus normaly only have a day on the 24th.

I only know Pentecost as the leader from Pacific Rim.

9 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

DOOM ETERNAL IS COMING TO SWITCH!

In the words of the immortal Katy Perry, swish swish, bish.

Heck yeah, day one-ing that fecker.

I thought DOOM Eternal was an upcoming VR game... So it's just the regular 'DOOM 2' then?

I might play it but I think I'd do this kind of stuff on PS4 Pro retail; playing through it once then selling it on again.

Edited by Ezio Auditore

22 hours ago, Lucas said:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks awesome but isn't that a direct sequel to the other games? I haven't played any games in the Xeno series and I don't want to miss out on stuff of course :P.

As far as I know, XC2's story and world are unrelated to Xenoblade Chronicles so you won't have to know anything about the first game to enjoy it. It's actually quite rare to find a sequel that would require you to play the earlier installments of the series as it would probably drive away potential buyers. 

I haven't started the first game yet myself, have it for 3DS in my bookshelf.

I played through Typoman. As said before (though in a different thread I believe), much of my Switch backlog consists of actually pretty short games. Typoman is one of those games, I doubt it took me more than four hours to get through.

Typoman is a puzzle platformer in which much of the gameplay consists of overcoming obstacles by arranging letters into the right words. Example: making the word 'stairs' so that a set of crates arranges themselves in an elevated path to be jumped on so you can get to the higher level.

There's a decent difficulty curve and answers to puzzles never seem hard to reach, save for a puzzle or two (which might have been more difficult for me because I'm not a native English speaker). The story is pretty bland, but then again it's not why you play the game.

I'd say it's worth €10 for any big fan of puzzle platforming, and at least €5 for anyone else.

I played through Bloodstained: Curse Of The Moon, finally took the time for the last three stages.

Already gushed about this a couple of times so I'll keep it short: well made game, cool retro Castlevania game in a time when Konami doesn't know what to do with the franchise (or any of their other franchises, for that matter), and nice littlw warm-up for Ritual Of The Night.

By the way, I played a bit of Binaries. @MosesRockefeller, NEVER buy this game, no matter how hard people recommend it to you. Let's just say that I found a game I'll be playing whenever I want a platformer so annoyingly tough that I have to curse and yell at the screen. Good times for me, possibly, for you, definitely not.

16 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

By the way, I played a bit of Binaries. @MosesRockefeller, NEVER buy this game, no matter how hard people recommend it to you. Let's just say that I found a game I'll be playing whenever I want a platformer so annoyingly tough that I have to curse and yell at the screen. Good times for me, possibly, for you, definitely not.

Cool, thanks for the warning. :)

1 hour ago, The Titan said:

I'm worried that Nintendo Switch will stop getting 3rd party AAA support. Due to hardware limitations. 

Fixed. Third party support for smaller games that don't need as much graphical power, like Shovel Knight or Shakedown Hawaii or Ace Attorney or Mega Man, won't soon slow down.

Next to that, I don't think third party support for a Nintendo console has ever looked better since before Microsoft and Sony started their own consoles. Publishers like Capcom bring out their new stuff for the Switch, Ubisoft makes games like Mario + Rabbids specifically for the Switch and ensures a special version of a game like Starlink for the Switch, and Bethesda not only ported Wolfenstein II, DOOM and Skyrim but promises a same-day release for DOOM ETERNAL along with the other platforms.

Yes, we're not getting all games, like Assassin's Creed or Call Of Duty or Grand Theft Auto VI, but then again if you want those games you knew in advance not to exclusively stick with Nintendo, and smaller third party publishers are tripping over each other to publish their games on the Switch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

Fixed. Third party support for smaller games that don't need as much graphical power, like Shovel Knight or Shakedown Hawaii or Ace Attorney or Mega Man, won't soon slow down.

Next to that, I don't think third party support for a Nintendo console has ever looked better since before Microsoft and Sony started their own consoles. Publishers like Capcom bring out their new stuff for the Switch, Ubisoft makes games like Mario + Rabbids specifically for the Switch and ensures a special version of a game like Starlink for the Switch, and Bethesda not only ported Wolfenstein II, DOOM and Skyrim but promises a same-day release for DOOM ETERNAL along with the other platforms.

Yes, we're not getting all games, like Assassin's Creed or Call Of Duty or Grand Theft Auto VI, but then again if you want those games you knew in advance not to exclusively stick with Nintendo, and smaller third party publishers are tripping over each other to publish their games on the Switch.

That's absolutely correct. No one buys a Nintendo console for 3rd party support. Thats why i have a ps4. Well that and exclusives.

32 minutes ago, The Titan said:

That's absolutely correct. No one buys a Nintendo console for 3rd party support. Thats why i have a ps4. Well that and exclusives.

Same here. I bought an X360 next to my Wii to be able to play stuff like Grand Theft Auto IV, Red Dead Redemption and The Force Unleashed. These days, it's a PS4 next to the Switch, to be able to play games like Assassin's Creed, Hitman, and exclusives big and small.

Nintendo seems much more open for and welcoming to devs, especially smaller devs, these days though, which is why I'm not really worried. My main hope for AAA gaming is that Ubisoft can keep up the winning streak they've had in my eyes with Mario + Rabbids, South Park 2, Watch Dogs 2 (still not amazing but much more fun than the first), AC Origins, Rayman Legendsand that they'll keep releasing cool stuff for the Switch. I have very high hopes for Starlink, especially now that they've made a deal with Nintendo so Fox McCloud and his Arwing can appear. I think Ubisoft is just about my favourite third party dev these days.

7 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

Same here. I bought an X360 next to my Wii to be able to play stuff like Grand Theft Auto IV, Red Dead Redemption and The Force Unleashed. These days, it's a PS4 next to the Switch, to be able to play games like Assassin's Creed, Hitman, and exclusives big and small.

Nintendo seems much more open for and welcoming to devs, especially smaller devs, these days though, which is why I'm not really worried. My main hope for AAA gaming is that Ubisoft can keep up the winning streak they've had in my eyes with Mario + Rabbids, South Park 2, Watch Dogs 2 (still not amazing but much more fun than the first), AC Origins, Rayman Legendsand that they'll keep releasing cool stuff for the Switch. I have very high hopes for Starlink, especially now that they've made a deal with Nintendo so Fox McCloud and his Arwing can appear. I think Ubisoft is just about my favourite third party dev these days.

Well I'm really hoping Doom on Switch gets a patch to let cross network play between pc and Xbox one users. Sometimes I can't find a lobby. Cross network play should be a new thing.

51 minutes ago, The Titan said:

Well I'm really hoping Doom on Switch gets a patch to let cross network play between pc and Xbox one users. Sometimes I can't find a lobby. Cross network play should be a new thing.

Rocket League was the first high-profile game to support cross-network play as far as I'm aware. Does Fortnite support it between Xbox, PC, and Switch? I agree that Bethesda should support cross-network play going forward.

I suspect that since Sony is opposed to the idea, most developers and publishers won't make it a priority. I don't play much multiplayer, so it doesn't really matter to me, but I think it's a good thing to implement.

Did anybody try the Valkyria Chronicles 4 demo? It performs and controls great on Switch, and the demo progress carries over to the full game. This is how demos should be made. Kudos to Sega for this one. I preordered the full game.

5 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Rocket League was the first high-profile game to support cross-network play as far as I'm aware. Does Fortnite support it between Xbox, PC, and Switch? I agree that Bethesda should support cross-network play going forward.

I suspect that since Sony is opposed to the idea, most developers and publishers won't make it a priority. I don't play much multiplayer, so it doesn't really matter to me, but I think it's a good thing to implement.

Fortnite supports cross-play between PC, XBOne, Switch and mobile. Everything except for PS4.

Bethesda wants to have cross-play in Elder Scrolls Legends, their new card game. The might not releas it on consoles that won't allow cross-play.

That's the second time someone put pressure on Sony to allow it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/08/13/bethesda-cross-play-for-elder-scrolls-legends-on-ps4-is-non-negotiable/#36e7e01a5ab1

Edited by MarkusT1992

1 hour ago, The Titan said:

44 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Did anybody try the Valkyria Chronicles 4 demo? It performs and controls great on Switch, and the demo progress carries over to the full game. This is how demos should be made. Kudos to Sega for this one. I preordered the full game.

39 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Fortnite supports cross-play between PC, XBOne, Switch and mobile. Everything except for PS4.

Bethesda wants to have cross-play in Elder Scrolls Legends, their new card game. The might not releas it on consoles that won't allow cross-play.

That's the second time someone put pressure on Sony to allow it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/08/13/bethesda-cross-play-for-elder-scrolls-legends-on-ps4-is-non-negotiable/#36e7e01a5ab1

Yeah Fortnite supports crossplay for everything, but Sony blocks it for PS4. Minecraft is another example, by the way. Crossplay across everyrhing, except PS4 since Sony blocks it.

@The Titan I get why it would be important to you, and it would be beneficial to see more crossplay, but personally I'm not that bothered since I ignore the multiplayer portion of a game practically always. I see the other growth Nintendo has shown - hardware that's easy to program for (unlike N64), no insane limitations on digital games (like Wii) - as much more important, as it resulted in much of the smaller games from independent third party devs that I loved to play like Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley, Celeste and Thimbleweed Park to be developed for Switch next to the other platforms without too much effort. Personally I think these small games are as important to the success of the Switch as AAA games, if not more important, since Nintando has first and second party developers for a nice set of exclusive AAA games, and what we currently get from third party devs is already better than before, at least in my experience.

Finally got through Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze!

I got at the boss of the fifth world (out of six) at the start of my holiday, found that I'd better wait with playing through until I could play on the television with my pro controller, and as it happens often when I pause a game, I completely forgot about it by the time I got home.

Glad that I have finished it now. Great platformer with some cool ideas and surprises, though even though it's Donkey Kong, it doesn't get to Rayman Legends levels of awesome in my opinion. Not that there's anything wrong with a solid eight out of ten.

Well, I guess the big news of today is that Diablo III seems to be coming to the Switch.

https://kotaku.com/diablo-iii-is-coming-to-switch-later-this-year-1828367234

I have zero experience with it or any other Diablo game. I've heard people praise it but I've also heard of the always-online problems it has, or at least had at the start.

13 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

Well, I guess the big news of today is that Diablo III seems to be coming to the Switch.

https://kotaku.com/diablo-iii-is-coming-to-switch-later-this-year-1828367234

I have zero experience with it or any other Diablo game. I've heard people praise it but I've also heard of the always-online problems it has, or at least had at the start.

I played a bit of Diablo 3 on PS4 but it didn't draw me in. I might try it again on Switch. It sounds like a very good port, with offline play, local co-op, single/multi-Switch options, etc.

I also saw this: https://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-new-super-mario-bros-u-coming-to-switch-with-new-super-luigi-u/

Yes it's just a rumor, but I have mixed feelings if it's true. A 2D Mario makes sense, in the gap between Odyssey and whatever is next, but I would rather see a new 2D Mario game (although again, porting makes sense due to the lower resources required, and the increased audience that never had a Wii U). Also, Super Mario 3D World is a better game than any of the NSMB games. But is a psuedo-3D Mario game, and it is probably too soon to release it with Odyssey still being relatively new.

9 hours ago, The Titan said:

I hope Senran Kagura games are coming to the switch 

That is probably the final barrier Nintendo needs to overcome to show everyone that the Switch is NOT only for "family-friendly" games. :pimp:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That is probably the final barrier Nintendo needs to overcome to show everyone that the Switch is NOT only for "family-friendly" games. :pimp:

I mean Gal Gun 2 is on Switch. So then Senran Kagura should also be on it. Senran Kagura is available in Japan on the switch. But I don't want to order an 80 dollar shipment of SK from Japan to USA. I'm glad there's no such thing called region lock on Switch but damn.