Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

46 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

Ah, I misremembered.

Too bad you gave up. Banner Saga 1 starts slow but the series keeps getting better and better (Banner Saga 2 compared to Banner Saga 1 is like Assassin's Creed II compared to Assassin's Creed I), and the gameplay is much more fun too. The story will keep going at a slow pace (even Tolkien and Martin make plots move faster than this) but it's still a story of escalation, and it has plenty of wow-moments as time goes on. Of course, that still doesn't change that the game's story goes slow, and that it even seems slower because it's reading instead of watching/listening. 

If you can stand the pace and work through the gameplay of the first game, the trilogy as a whole is brilliant though.

P.S. I'm at 40+ hours in Picross S 2 and at the final page for all kinds of puzzles.

The AC2 - AC1 comparison is high praise! I remember being blown away by the improvements of AC2, then come to hate it when playing Brotherhood and Revelations in a relatively short span. Still, that sounds like a set of big improvements.

I doubt I could get over the pacing of the Banner Saga trilogy though; it sounds like a game for a younger me. Back in my PC days I tolerated very slow pacing. I can't even imagine playing a game like X3 Terran Conflict now.

Nice job on Picross S2. I'm just over halfway done with the regular puzzles (still no hints so far), and I completed all the Clip puzzles I have access to (which was the first 3, and small parts of the 4th and 5th ones). I like how the Clip puzzles make a larger picture. The 3rd picture is fairly well detailed since it is made up of 20 smaller puzzles. I bet the 5th one looks pretty nice since it has SIXTY smaller puzzles. Anyway... I still haven't done many of the Mega Picross puzzles. I still hate them.

Oh, I forgot to mention but I picked up Yoku's Island Express on sale for 40% off. I loved the demo, so I'll start that one probably when I finish Kirby Star Allies.

32 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The AC2 - AC1 comparison is high praise! I remember being blown away by the improvements of AC2, then come to hate it when playing Brotherhood and Revelations in a relatively short span. Still, that sounds like a set of big improvements.

There's more combat character types (which fixes the gameplay aspect), a more evolving story (which helps with the pacing aspect) and an overall more streamlined experience.

I doubt I could get over the pacing of the Banner Saga trilogy though; it sounds like a game for a younger me. Back in my PC days I tolerated very slow pacing. I can't even imagine playing a game like X3 Terran Conflict now.

Too bad. I don't mind a story taking its time.

Mind you, there's a slow stoey (Banner Saga) and there's slow pacing hiding a lack of story (the new God Of War). I'm not a fan of the latter.

Nice job on Picross S2. I'm just over halfway done with the regular puzzles (still no hints so far), and I completed all the Clip puzzles I have access to (which was the first 3, and small parts of the 4th and 5th ones). I like how the Clip puzzles make a larger picture. The 3rd picture is fairly well detailed since it is made up of 20 smaller puzzles. I bet the 5th one looks pretty nice since it has SIXTY smaller puzzles. Anyway... I still haven't done many of the Mega Picross puzzles. I still hate them.

Well, those last three pages will take the most of your time, especially if you're going without hints :)

Oh, I forgot to mention but I picked up Yoku's Island Express on sale for 40% off. I loved the demo, so I'll start that one probably when I finish Kirby Star Allies.

Nice. Yoku's Island Express is worth its full price, you'll definitely enjoy it for a reduced price.

47 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

There's more combat character types (which fixes the gameplay aspect), a more evolving story (which helps with the pacing aspect) and an overall more streamlined experience.

Too bad. I don't mind a story taking its time.

Mind you, there's a slow stoey (Banner Saga) and there's slow pacing hiding a lack of story (the new God Of War). I'm not a fan of the latter.

It's ironic; back in my PC days when I had much higher tolerance for tedium in gaming (and even considered it a good thing!), I fell into the bad habit of gaming elitists using "streamline" as a negative description for "dumbed-down" games. Now, I am almost on the complete opposite of that viewpoint. :)

Sure, streamlining can go too far, but I usually find that it improves the experience. I think the same thing applies to gameplay length as well. I'd much rather play a short but sweet game than something that is dragged out.

Maybe I should consider trying the third Banner Saga game at some point, and just jump in with the third iteration of the gameplay to start.

Well, those last three pages will take the most of your time, especially if you're going without hints :)

That sounds about right. :) There probably is (or should be) a term for that "breakthrough" moment when you start really making progress in a puzzle like nonograms (it could apply to other puzzle types as well). I have had a few S2 puzzles around the point I'm at now, where I looked across the board and thought "well, I have marked out everything I can see, and I'm stuck". And then I'd keep staring at it and finally mark out that one row (or two) that started the chain of finishing rows and completing the puzzle. It's a very satisfying feeling.

Nice. Yoku's Island Express is worth its full price, you'll definitely enjoy it for a reduced price.

The demo for Yoku made me think it was worth the full price, but I am using sales to justify buying games when I already have an enormous backlog. Yoku's demo was lots of fun, but it was still on my "B tier" of "I'll play this game eventually but not right now". My "A tier" consists of games where my excitement level bypasses the logic of not buying until I'm going to play it; in other words those are the "Day One" games. That doesn't mean the "B tier" games aren't great, or even better than some "A tier" games. But I don't get as carried away with them, so I'm fine waiting for sales.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Has anyone played Blossom Tales yet?

It's on sale for €10 now (33% discount) and I'm thinking about diving in.

Also, I forgot about it until now but today's that other August Nindie video, which is supposed to show a bunch of new titles. 1600 GMT, so little over ten hours right now. I'm just hoping for a nice surprise or two.

15 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

It's ironic; back in my PC days when I had much higher tolerance for tedium in gaming (and even considered it a good thing!), I fell into the bad habit of gaming elitists using "streamline" as a negative description for "dumbed-down" games. Now, I am almost on the complete opposite of that viewpoint. :)

Sure, streamlining can go too far, but I usually find that it improves the experience. I think the same thing applies to gameplay length as well. I'd much rather play a short but sweet game than something that is dragged out.

Maybe I should consider trying the third Banner Saga game at some point, and just jump in with the third iteration of the gameplay to start.

I'm afraid you'd miss too much of the story if you just jump into number three. I'd maybe see it as possible to start with the second game, but as each title can be played through in under ten hours I'd say just power through the first game. You'll also be more invested in the story and the characters that way.

That sounds about right. :) There probably is (or should be) a term for that "breakthrough" moment when you start really making progress in a puzzle like nonograms (it could apply to other puzzle types as well). I have had a few S2 puzzles around the point I'm at now, where I looked across the board and thought "well, I have marked out everything I can see, and I'm stuck". And then I'd keep staring at it and finally mark out that one row (or two) that started the chain of finishing rows and completing the puzzle. It's a very satisfying feeling.

Picross is often the game I play just before I go to sleep and as I'm getting tired, I often don't see easy advancements that I immediately spot when I boot up the game the next day.

I've just got three puzzles left on normal mode, and two on Mega mode. It's tough seeing the one line of progression in those huge puzzles.

The demo for Yoku made me think it was worth the full price, but I am using sales to justify buying games when I already have an enormous backlog. Yoku's demo was lots of fun, but it was still on my "B tier" of "I'll play this game eventually but not right now". My "A tier" consists of games where my excitement level bypasses the logic of not buying until I'm going to play it; in other words those are the "Day One" games. That doesn't mean the "B tier" games aren't great, or even better than some "A tier" games. But I don't get as carried away with them, so I'm fine waiting for sales.

I'd use different wording but I'm also looking at a price to possible enjoyment weighing. Yoku's Island Express was something I just really felt like playing right away.

4 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

Has anyone played Blossom Tales yet?

It's on sale for €10 now (33% discount) and I'm thinking about diving in.

I haven't played it yet. In fact, I haven't even bought it and thrown it on my enormous backlog! That said, it looked kind of fun.

Also, I forgot about it until now but today's that other August Nindie video, which is supposed to show a bunch of new titles. 1600 GMT, so little over ten hours right now. I'm just hoping for a nice surprise or two.

Same here.

I'm afraid you'd miss too much of the story if you just jump into number three. I'd maybe see it as possible to start with the second game, but as each title can be played through in under ten hours I'd say just power through the first game. You'll also be more invested in the story and the characters that way.

Hmm. I don't remember anything about the characters in the first game, although as I said I only played a couple of hours. I guess I can always try to pick it back up. I do think it's a long shot though.

I just finished the second world in Kirby Star Allies. So far I'm enjoying it. No, it doesn't have much in the way of challenge, but that's okay sometimes.

This video is explicitly part two? Okay, more excited now, there should be minimal overlap.

Hyper Light Drifter: looks like a Zelda / Titan Souls combo. Hmmmm. I somehow get the feeling that I've heard of this game before but didn't pay it any attention back then.

Towerfall: actually one of the few PS+ PS4 games I didn't even bother putting in my library. No thanks.

Treasure Stack: it's like inverted Tetris, or something. Look, can I please see an indie game without bit graphics?

Zarvot: D'aw. I'll get it if the price is right.

Maneko's Night Market: Graphics remind me of Road Less Taken. It seems like a cool game, I'll keep track of this one.

Samurai Gunn 2: No thank you. Stop it with those ugly bit graphics, please.

Bullet Age: ... Maybe, if the reviews are excellent and it's under €7.

The World Next Door: Seems cool but it's not for me.

Level Head: Again, maybe, if I feel generous and the price/reception is good.

King Of The Hat: Nope. Not a fan of multiplayer only battle games. Unless it's Super Mario Party.

Untitled Goose Game: HAH! Now that's the kind of stupid game I can get behind. Definite buy as long as they don't go overboard with the price. That reminds me: everybody go buy Octodad!

Wooooooh... Title overdose. I don't know most of those snippets but saw a few I want to keep track of: Desert Child, The Messenger, Light Fingers, Superbrothers.

New channel on the Switch for Indie games? Yes please!

Uh oh, one more announcement? - oh, never mind, whatever that is, it's not for me. Out now, I'm guessing? Yup. Mèh.

Well, all in all, not that much for me, which is surprising since Nindie Directs are usually a highlight for me. They saved it at the end with Untitled Goose Game though. Must have that one.

19 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

Hyper Light Drifter: looks like a Zelda / Titan Souls combo. Hmmmm. I somehow get the feeling that I've heard of this game before but didn't pay it any attention back then.

I never played Titan Souls, but I think the Zelda comparison is apt.  With a big emphasis on dashing around.  I wasn't sure what to expect out of Hyper Light Drifter and I felt pretty 'meh' with its opening moments... but by the end it had its hooks in me.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Probably pick it up again for the Switch if it finds its way to a physical release.  Exactly the kind of high end retro indie title that I wanted in my Switch collection.  Same with games like The Messenger, Axiom Verge, etc.

Edited by Dreakon13

44 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

I haven't watched the video, but I tried HLD on PS4 for a PSNProfiles event. I wanted to like it, but I think I got too hyped up by it. First of all, I was disappointed that it wasn't on Vita at the time. I think it is the kind of game that is a better fit for Vita/Switch than PS4. Dreakon13 mentioned that it is "meh" in the opening, so maybe I just didn't stick with it long enough. I think the biggest problem I had with it, is I never got a sense for where I was and where I should go. Again, it's the "map" issue I have with some platformers, that I like to whine about over and over. :P I don't even remember if HLD had a map, but if it did, I couldn't figure out how to use it effectively.

I'm not sure which one I disliked more, Salt and Sanctuary or HLD. Hmm.

I'll watch the Nindie video later and see what it does for me. But from your list (not sure if it's exhaustive), HLD and Towerfall were the only ones I had heard of, and I'm not interested in either one.

6 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I think the biggest problem I had with it, is I never got a sense for where I was and where I should go.

I had the same beef with it.  Probably why I wasn't a huge fan initially... but I think after some aimless wandering and finding my way to one of the bosses, the way forward became pretty clear.

35 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I had the same beef with it.  Probably why I wasn't a huge fan initially... but I think after some aimless wandering and finding my way to one of the bosses, the way forward became pretty clear.

So on a related note, you probably remember how apprehensive I was about Hollow Knight having maps that need to be found and purchased to unlock. After playing the game to the point I got the "normal" ending and unlocked all the maps without looking up guides, I think that HK handled it perfectly. It was a nice balance between having maps for people like me that need them, and providing some tension and mystery by making the maps initially locked out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the Super Metroid-style approach of having the map open up as you explore it, but HK had some real design go into the map unlock functionality, and it was perfect IMO. There was only one area where the map wasn't straightforward to find (I forget the name, but the area with the flying electric jellyfish enemies) where you had to pass through the area and then come back to it from another area. Even there, it wasn't detrimental to my enjoyment.

I think as the Metroidvania genre continues to evolve, I would like to see games either just have a map that is there and fully usable, or take a carefully designed approach like Hollow Knight IF it works to the benefit of gameplay. I guess what I'm really saying, is I hope more developers take maps seriously and devote time to their design and implementation. The map system in Hollow Knight was memorable, and it's one of the positive things that will stick around when I remember the game. I love unique takes on time-tested game features (and innovative new features), when they work out this well.

• Like 1

There was nothing too exciting in that Direct for me. The last Nindie Direct a few days ago had a lot more interesting stuff in it. Saying that, Undertale releases next month. If you haven't played this game yet I would highly recommend it, particularly if you like Earthbound.

Oh by the way, I've finally crawled back out of the woodwork. Where have I been? Why, playing Octopath Traveler for the last month and a half. I'm on the last chapter of everybody's story so I don't have too much longer left. Just in time for Spidey on PSFour ? (my number four on my keyboard is suddenly not working ?).

I also picked up Morphie's Law the other day. It is essentially Splatoon without the paint. It's fun but I don't think it will keep me entertained for very long unless they provide frequent updates. Recommend if i goes cheap on a sale though.

Two points I'd like to make, one pertaining to today's video.

1) Fuck, I just checked the eShop and in the upcoming section, among others, I see Dust: An Elysian Tail. If we're getting cool stuff like that, why the hell did the video need to spend nearly all of its time on ugly bit-graphics games? I'm not against bit graphics all the time, but it seems like for each good looking bit graphic game like Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge or Fez we get at least a dozen ugly looking games. 

2) Super Mario Party is up for pre-order and it has the same 2x coin action that Mario Tennis Aces had. Now Tennis was a mis-buy on my part, but Party is something I always enjoy, and like Kart and Smash it's something that's easy to whip out when people are coming over. Oh yeah: by now, I'm pretty much sure I'll buy Smash as well, by the way. 

15 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

1) Fuck, I just checked the eShop and in the upcoming section, among others, I see Dust: An Elysian Tail. If we're getting cool stuff like that, why the hell did the video need to spend nearly all of its time on ugly bit-graphics games? I'm not against bit graphics all the time, but it seems like for each good looking bit graphic game like Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge or Fez we get at least a dozen ugly looking games. 

17 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

Samurai Gunn 2: No thank you. Stop it with those ugly bit graphics, please.

Absolutely agreed. I'm pretty sure these bit graphics cause cancer now. Seriously though, I watched the Nindie Direct on my smartphone, which has a smaller screen than the Switch. If these games look like ass on that smaller screen, they will look even worse on Switch Handheld, and look like complete dogshit on my 55" TV. STOP with the fugly graphics already. They're not cute or charming in 2018.

Funny enough, I also spotted Dust in the eShop Coming Soon section, and thought "hmm, I liked it but never finished it on PS4". Why can't we get more indie games with that kind of art style?

There wasn't much for me in the Nindie video. I loved Bastion and Transistor on PS4, and I platinumed both (I actually complete Bastion 100% on Steam when it first came out also). I highly recommend both games, and they should be great in Handheld mode.

While we're talking about Dust...

The Limited Run Games release pre-order for it on the Switch opens up this Friday:

https://www.limitedrungames.com/products/limited-run-12-dust-an-elysian-tail-preorder

And Yooka-Laylee the following Monday:

https://www.limitedrungames.com/products/limited-run-13-yooka-laylee-preorder

Both are open pre-orders for a few weeks to a month (then its closed forever), so ample opportunity to pick either one up if interested.

EDIT: Also, I've been interested in the game Snake Pass for a while and was happy to see Super Rare Games doing a physical release sometime in the near future.

Edited by Dreakon13

I've been a little under the weather this past month (yes... month... FML), and still kinda am but feeling a bit better today for some reason, so I think I forgot to post this here...

Skybound-Hollow-Knight-XboxOne-PS4-Switc

Yaaaay!

EDIT: Physical edition of my favorite game (and a PS4 / Xbox One release).  Sometime in 2019.

Edited by Dreakon13

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

I've been a little under the weather this past month (yes... month... FML), and still kinda am but feeling a bit better today for some reason, so I think I forgot to post this here...

Skybound-Hollow-Knight-XboxOne-PS4-Switc

Yaaaay!

I wonder how that works in terms of DLC, since the (digital) Switch version launched prior to the latest DLC (Godmaster), and release dates for PS4 and Xbox One have not been announced to my knowledge, but will presumably launch with Godmaster included. Also, I'm kind of surprised they aren't using a label like "Complete Edition" to advertise the DLC added since the original PC release.

1 minute ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I wonder how that works in terms of DLC, since the (digital) Switch version launched prior to the latest DLC (Godmaster), and release dates for PS4 and Xbox One have not been announced to my knowledge, but will presumably launch with Godmaster included. Also, I'm kind of surprised they aren't using a label like "Complete Edition" to advertise the DLC added since the original PC release.

I don't think the DLC situation has been clarified though I'd assume these retail copies would have all of the updates.  I mean, why not? :) If it didn't, it'd be a shame as the content is finished/readily available to include, and half the appeal of physical releases is having everything without needing an internet connection.

Considering the added content has all been via free updates... I'm guessing there isn't a ton of marketing incentive to name it differently.  If there were a vanilla edition, it would also technically include everything once you update.

16 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I don't think the DLC situation has been clarified though I'd assume these retail copies would have all of the updates.  I mean, why not? :) If it didn't, it'd be a shame as the content is finished/readily available to include, and half the appeal of physical releases is having everything without needing an internet connection.

Considering the added content has all been via free updates... I'm guessing there isn't a ton of marketing incentive to name it differently.  If there were a vanilla edition, it would also technically include everything once you update.

I know I've played multiple physical releases where they weren't patched up (I think it was mostly PS3 games though). Hopefully that doesn't happen much anymore. In any case, I assume that the not-yet-released PS4/X1 versions of HK include the DLC already, whether digital or physical.

Of course I realize that the physical version of any game allows you to download free DLC. It just seems like Team Cherry would want to advertise the additional content that presumably comes with this release. Maybe that's on the back ("includes all 4 DLC packs!").

The example that made me think of this is Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, where the physical release was rebranded as Ultimate Edition to advertise the fact that it included all the DLC. That case is somewhat different though, since the original digital DLC was only free for backers of the game. It probably makes more sense in that case.

So I got home today and found a package from the UK Royal Mail and opened it up to find a PAL copy of Dead Cells for the Switch.  I live in the United States.

I initially ordered the game via Signature Edition Games, which is based in the UK, because I assumed that was the only way to get a physical copy... kinda like how Super Rare Games and Strictly Limited Games works also based outside of the US... only then I came to realize the game was coming out here via retail.  Even though it's region free, I'd still rather have my own region whenever possible... so I asked to have my order cancelled (especially since it was pre-order, easy peasy) and they refunded my money.  And I believe it's still refunded since I can see what happened on PayPal, and nothing happened after they added the money back.

I guess they never actually cancelled the order though because, well, here I have it.  Free copy of Dead Cells. xD

Now I'm kind of wondering if there's etiquette for this sort of thing.  I could reach out and inform them of the error, but what good would come of that?  I cancelled the order and already have a copy of the game that I picked up from Gamestop so I don't want to pay for it, and I'm certainly not going to pay to ship it back overseas.

Edited by Dreakon13

We all remember The Messenger, which was shown dueing the Spring Nindie Direct? Or has everyone forgotten?

Turns out, the game releases today. I also still think that it looks promising - I think 8-bit is over and done, but The Messenger seems to be among those like Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge that actually bothered to still make the game look and sound nice even though it's bit-graphics and bit-music. Also, it's a no-nonsense platformer with a weird time travel mechanic that makes you jump into the "future" for bits of the game... Said future is 16-bit. @MosesRockefeller since you enjoyed Shovel Knight in the end... The Messenger might be on the tough-but-rewarding side, so I'll let you know how it is if I've played some myself, but I think you'd want to know that some reviewers now state that when in 16-bit, the game suddenly gains MetroidVania aspects.

Anyway, a whole bunch of reviews are puiling in and The Messenger is getting damn near universal praise. As in crazy hype talk much.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-messenger

So yeah, I've bought it. Bring it!

28 minutes ago, The Titan said:

My money is on untitled goose game. Goty contender.

Yeah, luckily it's not out until 2019 so I don't have to be in conflict about it or the AAA games I've pre-ordered. Seems like I just have to keep working on my backlog the next half year and I'll be ready for Untitled Goose Game when it releases.

• Like 1

Yo, has anyone on here tried out Western 1849?

I preorded it a week or so back apparently and turned my Switch on yesterday to see it waiting for me.

Thing is great, it's like an old school Namco arcade light gun shooter, in a western setting. TBH I see myself spending more time in it than on Red Dead 2, but then, that's more about my disinterest in Red Dead 2. Anyway, the thing is pretty cool, check a look if you are after something for under 10 bucks, that could easily give you 10 hours. I will say though, once you get the hang of it and max out your powerups, it does get a bit easy, but you can play without powerups and it provides a relatively decent challenge in some of the later unlocked difficulties.

Check a look 

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy
Wrong link