Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

10 hours ago, Spyro said:

If I get work or win the lottery soon, want to get that Pikachu and Eevee themed Switch. I don’t care as much about Pokémon Let’s Go, but it’s a cute Switch!

It's a cool looking system, I agree.

I started playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (yes, I'm pretty dumb for playing a JRPG on Switch and another one on Vita at the same time), and it's pretty cool so far. I just got to the first city in Chapter 2. So far I'm not seeing this infamous slowdown/graphical downgrade in Handheld mode. I played for about 30 minutes in TV mode last night, and I did not see a huge difference. It seems perfectly playable in Handheld mode to me, which is good. I grabbed the season pass so I could get the expansion and all the DLC.

Man, I have too many games to play! Which is a good thing...

Yo, y'all heard about the Mega Drive Collection from earlier this year / last year / whenever the latest set came out, finally coming to Switch? 

No idea what took them so damn long, but it will be a day one for me. Holy shit, is that a little bit of shade though, or entirely coincidental? 

Nintendo: We will charge you 35 a year for 20 odd 8 bit games, and if you don't pay it we'll lock away your online, and we'll let you do *some* cloud saves.

Sega on release day of NSO: Hey, fuck that, here's 50 odd 16 bit games with blast processing for 50 bucks and you actually own them forever. Fuck your online.

Like it's probably a coincidence, but there's definitely a fair few people who were only getting NSO for the NES games, who might think twice and just grab this instead. I mean, lets be real, they'll all probably come around and get NSO anyway it's still a decent deal just for the games, but this deal is hella good. I'm glad I didn't end up picking up the Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle now, that's 30 bucks toward this, which has all 3 Streets of Rage games instead, which is funnily enough exactly what I want to be playing on the Switch leading up to the new installment. If they had have surprise announced AND dropped the Mega Drive collection today, that would have definitely been a bit of shade in my eyes anyways.

Edit: God, I had a mini heart attack right there at the bottom. This is an email from Nintendo I just opened, scroll to the bottom red section about the online stuff and see the price. They listed the family membership as an "individual" membership at 55 a year and I was ready to speed run every NES game in that week trial.  http://view.ccg.nintendo.net/?qs=9b398de001b7a47a4a18d954d2f9e4fce9ae9afb655bee46fd83f3c09d29bac5f1c92835297ee94d3426a1c07c6d5515cd79fd77d734da981c08e2abdbe2b7623683ffb47ba44c19c70d78777e18a310

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

Today, Nintendo dropped their 20 NES game service.

Today, Sega announced they'd drop 50 games onto the Switch from the next generation.

Today, Sony announced they'd drop a micro console on it's own with 20 games from the next next generation.

It's 18:30 right now. By 21:30, I expect an Xbox portable with the entire console's library on a massive Micro SD. Jokes aside though, you can't think for a second the latter two companies didn't announce their things today to steal Nintendo's thunder. Sure, it *could* be a coincidence, an incredibly unlikely coincidence, but I mean, hot damn, either way, what are the odds on 3 big (arguable the Sega one isn't that big, but still) old school releases all being announced / dropped today?

Well, I started the week trial, and after only a few minutes, I'm already sick of it.

I started playing the NES version of Super Mario Bros. 3 and I was bored by the time I finished the first level. I prefer the 16-bit SNES version, which I actually own, and I'd rather be playing on in West Of Loathing.

... Come to think of it, Nintendo's waiting a year and a half with VC titles and then only doing NES seemingly cured me of retro urges, I've got so many cool games I have not played at all yet... And if I have a retro urge, I have a SNES and N64 at home, and if I'm on the go or on a holiday, well, I've got stuff like the Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 for a SNES title I want to replay.

So, I'm definitely not interested any more in Nintendo Switch Online. Sorry to those select few here that were planning on playing online with me at some point. Anyone interested in a final PSNP round of Mario Kart?

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy Actually, SEGA previously said that it would let go of the Collection thing, and would bring old SEGA Mega Drive games separately now, starting with Sonic, which is supposed to release within a few days from now actually.

@MosesRockefeller Velocity 2X somehow is $20 now on the US eShop, so it seems it was meant as a price increase across the board, which is better to stomach than the EU being shafted.

@all, remember last month when I talked in a different thread about Life Goes On: Done To Death? Well, it releases on the Switch tomorrow! Now, I've bought it on PS4 and I just recently played through it, but at a price that's under €11 it's easy to recommend this fun and unique puzzle platformer at full price. I'll gladly rebuy it before I go on a holiday again, and I might even just give in since it's so fun and so cheap.

The patch notes for the new System Update: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22525/~/nintendo-switch-system-updates-and-change-history

Improvements Included in Version 6.0.0 (Distributed 9/18/2018)

Nintendo Switch Online* features and functionality have been added, including:

• Save Data Cloud Backup
    • User your internet connection to back up game save data for compatible games
    • Some games are not compatible with Save Data Cloud
    • To back up save data or download a previous backup, head to System Settings > Data Management > Save Data Cloud Backup

*Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online play. Not available in all countries. Internet access required for online features. Save Data Cloud backup available in compatible games. Terms apply. To learn more, click here.

Added the following system functionality

• Upload up to four Album screenshots at once on supported social network services
    • Only one captured video can be uploaded at once
  • Select from six new Captain Toad icons for your user
    • To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
  • Play your digital software and content on non-primary consoles by linking your Nintendo Account
    • The term "active console" has been renamed "primary console" in Nintendo eShops
    • Playing software in multiple consoles has certain restrictions
  • Display of Nintendo Switch News articles will be limited to match the restricted software parental controls setting selections
    • Please note that the restriction will only apply to News articles distributed after the release of version 6.0.0.
  • Change the layout of the USB keyboard to the desired language
    • To change the language, head to the System Settings > System > USB Keyboard

Removed the following system functionality

• After installing the system update, it will no longer be possible to unlink your Nintendo Account from your Nintendo Switch user

General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:

• Compatibility improvements have been made for a controller licensed by Nintendo

2 hours ago, Spawn said:

Well, I started the week trial, and after only a few minutes, I'm already sick of it.

I started playing the NES version of Super Mario Bros. 3 and I was bored by the time I finished the first level. I prefer the 16-bit SNES version, which I actually own, and I'd rather be playing on in West Of Loathing.

... Come to think of it, Nintendo's waiting a year and a half with VC titles and then only doing NES seemingly cured me of retro urges, I've got so many cool games I have not played at all yet... And if I have a retro urge, I have a SNES and N64 at home, and if I'm on the go or on a holiday, well, I've got stuff like the Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 for a SNES title I want to replay.

So, I'm definitely not interested any more in Nintendo Switch Online. Sorry to those select few here that were planning on playing online with me at some point. Anyone interested in a final PSNP round of Mario Kart?

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy Actually, SEGA previously said that it would let go of the Collection thing, and would bring old SEGA Mega Drive games separately now, starting with Sonic, which is supposed to release within a few days from now actually.

I'm in the same boat. I did the trial. I've clocked Super Mario, Excite Bike, and Donkey Kong (I played to like the fifth loop of the levels, point is there's just 3 levels so yeah), and played a bit of Mario, Balloon Fight, Double Dragon and River City Ransom. I've done just about everything I ever would with the online, I'd probably play them a lot more if, I don't know, they included the SNES games they initially promised. But yeah, I'm with you, it's already cured my desire to have these games on Switch. Now they're there, I've played them for a bit, I'll play a couple a little more, and then I'll move the hell on. 

That's so weird, Nintendo must have been trolling when they posted this today then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygLqvXf6mUo

10 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I'm in the same boat. I did the trial. I've clocked Super Mario, Excite Bike, and Donkey Kong (I played to like the fifth loop of the levels, point is there's just 3 levels so yeah), and played a bit of Mario, Balloon Fight, Double Dragon and River City Ransom. I've done just about everything I ever would with the online, I'd probably play them a lot more if, I don't know, they included the SNES games they initially promised. But yeah, I'm with you, it's already cured my desire to have these games on Switch. Now they're there, I've played them for a bit, I'll play a couple a little more, and then I'll move the hell on. 

Yeah, it's a big shame it's all going down like this. Nintendo already has a bunch of SNES/N64 titles on Wii, Wii U and 3DS, so you'd guess that porting them all over would have been a piece of cake. I actually postponed buying a working N64 (my old one broke a couple of years ago after over a decade of trusty service) since I wanted to play some N64 games last year but figured they'd be up and running before long. Finally bought a new N64 a few months ago, since I wanted to play some again, was sick of waiting and by now I've decided that having a bunch of old gen consoles in my mancave would be very cool.

10 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

That's so weird, Nintendo must have been trolling when they posted this today then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygLqvXf6mUo

Huh, weird. I Googled a bit and I was thinking of Sega Ages, which would deliver a bunch of Sega games as separate entities, with Sonic (1) actually releasing tomorrow. Don't know how much of that will still happen now that they've announced the Collection for the Switch.

I would prefer the games separately, by the way. I tried the collection on Steam and I'm not interested in most of these games.

3 hours ago, Spawn said:

That's an understandable reaction. I also started the trial last night. For me, the NES games are just kind of... there as bonuses. I'm paying for the cloud saves, and it's possible I'll play a game or two online. But the biggest benefit for me is the cloud saves, which are definitely worth $20 a year. It would be nice if Nintendo added the ability to export saves to the SD card (or a USB drive via the dock), but I don't think they're going to do that because of hacking fears. But even if they did have that option, I'd still pay for cloud saves because they're way more convenient.

I played the first level of SMB3 and Dr Mario last night, and the emulator is competent and works fine. The save states are easy to use, which is nice. I'd say it's a slight improvement over the Wii U and 3DS VC emulator engine. I didn't try MP though. Like many of you, I will definitely be more excited if Nintendo eventually adds SNES or later consoles' games.

3 hours ago, Spawn said:

@MosesRockefeller Velocity 2X somehow is $20 now on the US eShop, so it seems it was meant as a price increase across the board, which is better to stomach than the EU being shafted.

Well, I'm glad the rest of the world isn't being shafted for a change, but $20 is a little too much for me to justify a repurchase (I liked the game, but I didn't absolutely adore it). I'll stick with the Vita/PS4 crossbuy version I already own.

8 minutes ago, Spawn said:

Yeah, it's a big shame it's all going down like this. Nintendo already has a bunch of SNES/N64 titles on Wii, Wii U and 3DS, so you'd guess that porting them all over would have been a piece of cake. I actually postponed buying a working N64 (my old one broke a couple of years ago after over a decade of trusty service) since I wanted to play some N64 games last year but figured they'd be up and running before long. Finally bought a new N64 a few months ago, since I wanted to play some again, was sick of waiting and by now I've decided that having a bunch of old gen consoles in my mancave would be very cool.

I'm not interested in old consoles myself... I've drawn the line at HDMI going forward (which means yes to Wii U, no to Wii). But, since you're interested, there are some interesting devices out there that make connecting old systems to modern TVs easier. Have you checked those out at all? I think they are called SCART adapters or something.

I find as I age that my nostalgia actually goes down rather than up. I have no problem calling a clunky controller exactly what it is, so I have no interest in "classic" console rereleases or for the most part, old consoles in general. I never could get used to the N64 controller in the first place ( I never owned one, so I just played at friends' houses). But I enjoyed playing N64 games on Wii U, and I would definitely be interested in some of those games on Switch if they ever come.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

12 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That's an understandable reaction. I also started the trial last night. For me, the NES games are just kind of... there as bonuses. I'm paying for the cloud saves, and it's possible I'll play a game or two online. But the biggest benefit for me is the cloud saves, which are definitely worth $20 a year. It would be nice if Nintendo added the ability to export saves to the SD card (or a USB drive via the dock), but I don't think they're going to do that because of hacking fears. But even if they did have that option, I'd still pay for cloud saves because they're way more convenient.

I played the first level of SMB3 and Dr Mario last night, and the emulator is competent and works fine. The save states are easy to use, which is nice. I'd say it's a slight improvement over the Wii U and 3DS VC emulator engine. I didn't try MP though. Like many of you, I will definitely be more excited if Nintendo eventually adds SNES or later consoles' games.

Cloud saves... èh. I don't have many games which I go back to after a playthrough unless it's for another full playthrough. It would suck knowing my Zelda and Mario Kart progress is gone without me having 100%ed those, but I'll live. I still think copying to microSD card should be allowed, but hey, Nintendo would rather inconvenience two dozen hackers than make life a bit better for millions of dedicated buyers of Nintendo games and products.

12 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Well, I'm glad the rest of the world isn't being shafted for a change, but $20 is a little too much for me to justify a repurchase (I liked the game, but I didn't absolutely adore it). I'll stick with the Vita/PS4 crossbuy version I already own.

Well, €20 is still more expensive than $20, but that's the mini-shaft we're nearly always getting and which we're used to.

I've also got doubts about buying it right away now, since my backlog is big enough and I've already got it on PS4. Life Goes On also releases tomorrow and it's just over half the price that Velocity 2X asks for. I might just wait for a sale.

36 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

I tested the NES app on Switch when I first subscribed last night this morning and I fell in love with it.

Question: at which console generation did you start gaming, and/or do you have any retro consoles or VC titles at home?

@MosesRockefeller, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy and me not being charmed by it might have to do with reasons like that. I know the second argument doesn't work for @Super-Fly Spider-Guy but I believe he has most of those games through VC.

36 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

Does anyone think the Switch's Online Service will improve over time?

It probably will, but it'll have to improve a lot before I'm interested. Like, say, two dozen of both SNES and N64 games in the service a lot. It'll probably be hard to resist for me at that point.

1 hour ago, Spawn said:

Cloud saves... èh. I don't have many games which I go back to after a playthrough unless it's for another full playthrough. It would suck knowing my Zelda and Mario Kart progress is gone without me having 100%ed those, but I'll live. I still think copying to microSD card should be allowed, but hey, Nintendo would rather inconvenience two dozen hackers than make life a bit better for millions of dedicated buyers of Nintendo games and products.

Everyone's gaming habits are different, of course. Save game backups are very important to me because of my habits. I often come back to games after long breaks, and I don't have time to lose progress. I don't care about 100% completion in nearly all my games, so that's not as much of a concern. I've also had a few bad experiences losing savegames, so to have a safety net for $20 a year is a no-brainer for me.

1 hour ago, Spawn said:

Well, €20 is still more expensive than $20, but that's the mini-shaft we're nearly always getting and which we're used to.

I've also got doubts about buying it right away now, since my backlog is big enough and I've already got it on PS4. Life Goes On also releases tomorrow and it's just over half the price that Velocity 2X asks for. I might just wait for a sale.

I meant to mention it before, but I tried Life Goes On on PS4. It's pretty charming and fun. I haven't fallen in love with it, and some puzzles are more annoying than fun for me, but it's a neat little game. I doubt I'll buy it again on Switch though.

54 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

I tested the NES app on Switch when I first subscribed last night this morning and I fell in love with it.

Do I hope it will improve? Yes. Do I think it will improve in an appreciable way? Skeptical.

14 minutes ago, Spawn said:

Question: at which console generation did you start gaming, and/or do you have any retro consoles or VC titles at home?

@MosesRockefeller, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy and me not being charmed by it might have to do with reasons like that. I know the second argument doesn't work for @Super-Fly Spider-Guy but I believe he has most of those games through VC.

It probably will, but it'll have to improve a lot before I'm interested. Like, say, two dozen of both SNES and N64 games in the service a lot. It'll probably be hard to resist for me at that point.

Just to throw in my two cents on nostalgia and retro gaming: my first console was the NES. I had 4 or 5 games (one of which was an unlicensed third-party game, and several more were definitely not "classics"), and I rented probably a dozen more (back when you used to be able to rent video games in video stores - which don't really exist anymore). There are a few games I never tried that are on Switch Online, such as Dr Mario and Yoshi. The only NES games I have any motivation to play seriously is SMB3, and even in that case, I like Super Mario World more. I have SMB3 and LoZ on 3DS VC, so having them on Switch is nice, but not essential. So I'm not very excited about it.

Call me a pessimist, but I am not very confident that Nintendo will add other consoles' games to Switch Online. As I said before, the service is fine, and the emulator has nice features, but I am just not super excited about NES games. The service needs to expand to GB/GBC/GBA, DS, SNES, N64, and maybe Gamecube for it to really stand out as a great service.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

I played an NES game on my Switch through the NES NSO App and learned that like with Virtual Console, it has a suspend state which acts like save files. Which means it will be good for those who have issues with dying a lot on NES games. :) The Suspend feature is amazing and I can use to reload my save if I messed up.

14 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

I played an NES game on my Switch through the NES NSO App and learned that like with Virtual Console, it has a suspend state which acts like save files. Which means it will be good for those who have issues with dying a lot on NES games. :) The Suspend feature is amazing and I can use to reload my save if I messed up.

Yeah, it's actually even better than a suspend state; it's a true save state. Nintendo has made it more flexible with each generation of their emulators.

1. Wii - a single suspend point to resume where you left off. If you screwed up, too bad.

2. Wii U / 3DS - true save states that could be overwritten and reloaded at will. Screwing up could be rolled back.

3. Switch - multiple save states (5 or 6 from what I could see) that have all the same features as the Wii U / 3DS version of the VC.

I can't remember if the Wii U and 3DS had a single save state or 2 or 3 per game. But the Switch definitely increased that count.

Of course, these save states are heresy to purists, but they are life savers for people like me.

9 hours ago, Spawn said:

Huh, weird. I Googled a bit and I was thinking of Sega Ages, which would deliver a bunch of Sega games as separate entities, with Sonic (1) actually releasing tomorrow. Don't know how much of that will still happen now that they've announced the Collection for the Switch.

I would prefer the games separately, by the way. I tried the collection on Steam and I'm not interested in most of these games.

But that would make sense.

If they are gonna be like the PS2 Ages set, completely remade in 3D, I'll buy them as well tbh. The Ages version of Out Run was dope.

I'd prefer them separately also, but at 5 bucks a pop (realistically a little more for me, the ACA games are 10.50 and NES games in the past were / are 6.50, as were the "Sega 3D Classics" on 3DS, it's better for me to have the whole set anyways. Things Like Vectorman and Ristar, and even Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (yes, I know it's Puyo Puyo and yes, I still have the Tetris demo installed), are things I would never buy, unless they were on sale for a dollar or two, but in a set I've already paid for I would play them here and there for a little bit. I wouldn't buy them on their own, and I think the collection honestly should have kept Mortal Kombat from the latest AT Games MD, and DEFINITELY NEEDS OUTRUN ON THERE, but for 50 odd bucks, less if on sale, I'll gladly take it, because I would buy Sonic, Streets, Altered Beast, and probably a few others again instantly and that would end up costing more in the long run anyways. I've got 8 or 9 of those ACA NEO GEO games on Switch as it is already and IMO they're hella overpriced. Though that reminds me, I better finish up Magician Lord since I only bought it to have something similar to Altered Beast, and now that I can have Altered Beast, well, see ya chump.

8 hours ago, MMX20 said:

I would bloody well hope so. 35 dollars a year for a handful of NES games and all the stuff you either let us do already, or should have let us do already but half assed (because backing up SOME games to the cloud while still blocking ALL SD backups is most definitely half assing it), is far from value. I shop the sales for just about everything, obviously, and the last time I paid for Gold I think I paid about 48/49 bucks for a year through a reseller. Not all that much more when you look at it that way, and unless things change, the only way to get Nintendo's service will be through the eShop, meaning no third party resellers or discounts. Xbox got me better quality online without constant drop outs (and yes, voice chat, not that I use it anyway), guaranteed 24 games a year (half of which are current gen games, and the other half I actually get to own forever), decent discounts on other things I've bought on the Xbox shop, and cloud saves / USB back up are free out the gate anyways. Tough call, 35 bucks for 20 old games, or 50 odd for 24 bigger, newer, and in most cases, better games. 

7 hours ago, Spawn said:

Speaking of retro consoles, Double Dragon looks a SHITLOAD better on my BittBoy than on the Switch.

@MosesRockefeller know what we forgot when discussing the Velocity 2X price increase from PS4 to Switch?

The DLC.

The Switch version contains both DLC apparently, and at a total price of €20 it's actually just under the PS4 total price of €21.

Seeing as I played Velocity 2X ages ago, I'm still thinking about rebuying. I've played Life Goes On much more recently so I'm less compelled to buy it right away, but I definitely want to have it come my next summer holiday.

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy if the Sega games would release separately, I'd probably just buy Sonic Sonic & Knuckles, Ecco and then I'd be done with it.

4 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I read it's only available if you have Nintendo Switch Online.

It's true, but there is a 7-day free trial you can use if you'd wanna try that out. Be careful though, once you start the trial, apparently it defaults into having you pay $4 every month after, so you should turn off the auto-sub option.

8 hours ago, Spawn said:

if the Sega games would release separately, I'd probably just buy Sonic Sonic & Knuckles, Ecco and then I'd be done with it.

Apparently it's an unpopular opinion, but I absolutely can't stand Ecco for more than five minutes. 

Look at me, I'm a dolphin with sonar, cool, can you go fast though?