Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

To join in on the hardware quality topic:

The only Nintendo product I've had fail is 2 NES controllers from the beginning of the 90s. They worked fine until about 20 years later the cords had damaged after I had wrapped them tightly around the controllers for storage. The other controller didn't work at all anymore and the other one worked partially. 

I've had some issues with PlayStation products.

• 2 PS2 controllers died for no reason after a few years, they didn't respond to anything anymore. Same happened to my friend around the same time. 
  • PS Vita left stick broke for no reason after 8 months of purchase. Made some games unplayable. 

There's a lot of discussion on PS Vita memory card failures and PS3/PS4 disc drive failures, etc. on this site and elsewhere on the internet. Luckily I haven't personally encountered those issues yet. 

I've also seen discussion that some Nintendo Switch launch systems had poor signal on the left(?) Joy-Con and some have their Switch outer surface plastic chipping or cracking near the air vents and screws. The latter issue is apparently caused by something gone wrong in the parts' molding process. 

In my personal experience Nintendo products in general are of high quality and durable and I haven't encountered any issues with them so far.

20 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

To join in on the hardware quality topic:

The only Nintendo product I've had fail is 2 NES controllers from the beginning of the 90s. They worked fine until about 20 years later the cords had damaged after I had wrapped them tightly around the controllers for storage. The other controller didn't work at all anymore and the other one worked partially. 

I've had some issues with PlayStation products.

• 2 PS2 controllers died for no reason after a few years, they didn't respond to anything anymore. Same happened to my friend around the same time. 
  • PS Vita left stick broke for no reason after 8 months of purchase. Made some games unplayable. 

There's a lot of discussion on PS Vita memory card failures and PS3/PS4 disc drive failures, etc. on this site and elsewhere on the internet. Luckily I haven't personally encountered those issues yet. 

I've also seen discussion that some Nintendo Switch launch systems had poor signal on the left(?) Joy-Con and some have their Switch outer surface plastic chipping or cracking near the air vents and screws. The latter issue is apparently caused by something gone wrong in the parts' molding process. 

In my personal experience Nintendo products in general are of high quality and durable and I haven't encountered any issues with them so far.

Ah, your post reminds me that I wasn't very thorough in my discussion of problems. My launch Switch doesn't have any of those issues, but I have also read about them. My only minor issue with the Switch is that the right Joy-con is slightly loose. Bumping the bottom of that Joy-con in handheld mode, tends to push it out of locked position (not all the way out of the rail, just pushed up a few millimeters). It's not a very serious issue, and the right Joy-con from the second pair I have locks more firmly. So that's not an issue with the Switch rails, it's the Joy-con rail getting loose. Again, it's not a major issue.

For the Vita, I did have trouble with a 64GB memory card, which was especially annoying due to it costing so much. The card worked perfectly for a year or two, then it got corrupted. I've been using a 32GB card since then (which I actually bought before the 64), and it works flawlessly.

If we go back to the "retro" era, my used NES from the early 90s had issues pretty early on with the damned front-loading cartridge slot. That was just a poor design. I still have that NES but it hasn't been able to read any cartridges reliably for a long time. I even bought a replacement cartridge port a few years ago, but it wasn't much better. I have bought 2 third-party NES systems that have better success reading cartridges, but they're still not perfect. I got a used SNES about 10 years ago (I never had one growing up) that doesn't read cartridges consistently either, but it's better than the NES. I think the cartridge design and console design for the SNES and especially the NES was issue-prone. Thankfully that has gotten better over the years with new systems.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

14 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Shrek 1 was the first DVD I ever bought, as part of one of those Columbia House style subscription memberships. Years later I let me parents keep the DVD and I recently got the whole series collection on Blu-ray. I still haven't seen any of the sequels though... I'm waiting for my 4-year-old to grow up a bit. Currently she's going through a "don't like bad guys" in movies phase. She likes princesses and such, but as soon as a villain shows up, she wants to watch something else. A year ago she was fine with villains, but now she avoids them.

I started the 30-day trial of Just Dance Unlimited. On Switch it's only $25 a year and for the amount of songs it's not a bad deal if you like a few of those songs. Unfortunately, the songs always stream over the internet and the video quality occasionally gets pixelated before going back to HD. I'm assuming the service doesn't work at all when you don't have an internet connection. A next-level service would let you download the songs and avoid both problems.

In conclusion, don't believe everything you hear about defective hardware.

Shrek 2 was the first DVD I ever got pirated, a friend had a copy burned when it was recent and we tried to tape it on the VCR but it didn't go so well, had lines or something go over the screen yelling about copy protection and the sort. First DVD I ever had in the house was Spider-Man 2002. First DVD I ever actually owned fully on my own was Kiss Symphony.

I'd hope Rock Band, if it were ever to go that route, would handle it better and load the game characters locally, maybe only streaming the music. Streaming audio vs HD video should be night and day in terms of demands and problems.

That's actually where I was intending to go with my post before I realized how many Sony issues I've had and it turned into a mini rant.

I do have an addendum though, I forgot to mention the Joy-Con issues. I had that, my left one from launch would desync at times, got both replaced in warranty. Then the right one of the new set would start to drag not long after the warranty on the initial purchase ended and as I had no receipt or proof of the new Joy-Con, it meant they were effectively out of warranty. Thankfully I stumbled into a single black right Joy-Con on sale not long later, incredibly low stock anywhere as they don't sell them individually anymore apparently, only in pairs, which meant I'd have to blow 120 RRP on a set, fuck that man, but given all my problems prior, I wasn't about to buy a preowned one with no warranty either.

14 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

If we go back to the "retro" era, my used NES from the early 90s had issues pretty early on with the damned front-loading cartridge slot. That was just a poor design. I still have that NES but it hasn't been able to read any cartridges reliably for a long time. I even bought a replacement cartridge port a few years ago, but it wasn't much better. I have bought 2 third-party NES systems that have better success reading cartridges, but they're still not perfect. I got a used SNES about 10 years ago (I never had one growing up) that doesn't read cartridges consistently either, but it's better than the NES. I think the cartridge design and console design for the SNES and especially the SNES was issue-prone. Thankfully that has gotten better over the years with new systems.

It was clearly a mistake when SNES and N64 had normal top loading slots. Everyone I've ever known has issues with the NES cartridge loader. Not sure if the Famicom was better than the NES with this.

4 hours ago, mecharobot said:

It was clearly a mistake when SNES and N64 had normal top loading slots. Everyone I've ever known has issues with the NES cartridge loader. Not sure if the Famicom was better than the NES with this.

Whoops! I see in your quote of me here that I meant to type " I think the cartridge design and console design for the SNES and especially the NES was issue-prone."

Anyway, yeah, it was a consistent issue that most people seemed to have.

Holy shit, boiz!

The Sega Mega Drive set on Switch (and PS4/Xbone by extension) is AMAZING.

Sure, there's no Sonic 3. Or Sonic & Knuckles. Or OutRun. Or Duke 3D (I can forgive that one, but the other 3 NEED to be here IMO).

But that quick save feature is honestly worth buying the collection again...again.

So you're playing your game right, and you're bopping along, doing your thing, and you're afraid you're gonna die as you often do in 16 bit games. No problems! Just flick the right stick down for about half a second, and you've made a quick save. Did you die, you pathetic loser? Well, flick the right stick up for half a second to be instantly transported back to the moment you made your quick save, and I do mean instantly, the thing has no menus, no pausing, no waiting, no loading, no nothing. It's an instant save and an instant load and it's honestly so much more fantastic than I can say. It got me through Chemical Plant Zone just then without getting annoyed once, because I just pussy'd my way through until I got it right. Beautiful.

I'm in a bit of a Mega Drive mood lately admittedly, I bought one of them AT Games Mega Drives that plugs into your tele with AV cables (AV!!!) and has corded controllers on sale for the shit of it, and arguably, yeah, 47 bucks for that versus the 70 (plus shipping) the NES Classic was on sale for a few hours ago, it'd be a better idea to go with the Nintendo, I know, but I don't care, and I value the extra controller and actual cartridge slot more than being able to mod the thing to play ROMs of games I already have on my PSP anyways. So that Mega Drive claims to have 80 games, but just under 40 are actual Mega Drive games (I think I counted 39, or 41, one or the other) and the rest are basically like pissy little flash games that have been programmed to work on a Mega Drive. Kinda interesting and novel at first, but GAAAAWD do I wish there was an option to just blacklist them and only see the MD games. Anyway, audio is as shit as you've heard and then some, and gameplay is a bit slow too, but you know what, I have it sitting in the kitchen and only use it when like I'm cooking some snags or something and have to stay in there and whatnot to turn them. For that, it's hella fun. More than anything though, I love that I can finally play the version of Duke 3D the Mega Drive got, the way it was meant to be played... except it's on a clone console, on an old plasma TV, in my kitchen, and apparently doesn't believe I'm using a 6 button pad and is making me use 3 button mode, and is produced on a cheap repro cart that doesn't allow for progress saving. Anyway, weirdly enough the cartridge seems to run full speed with proper audio, when the ROMs on the system don't do that so good, which really confuses me. Anyway, kind of off topic, I know, but like, I'm feeling the Mega Drive lately,

And the Mega Drive collection on Switch is fantastic. The fun little 90s style bedroom acting as a menu, the cutesy little TV border thing it has going on, the kickass games list (with some saddening exemptions), and all that, it's as great as you'd expect, but that save game function is just the dog's balls, it's so fucking good man. If you love the 16 bit Sega console, you owe it to yourself to pick up this kickass collection. I'd be fine with them re-releasing these games every generation, I'd be fine with the old versions being backwards compatible too, whatever, but what they have here, with that amazing instant save feature, it's managed to make me genuinely justify my purchase of this set for the X'th time. Go buy it

Or wait on a sale, like I will, when I return the game in mid January when EB's no questions asked gift return deal ends.

Also bought the Lego Harry Potter set for 35. Bought it for 30 'round this time last year on PS4, played maybe half an hour with the missus. Here's hoping the Switch version gets more use, if not, it can get returned too.

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Also bought the Lego Harry Potter set for 35. Bought it for 30 'round this time last year on PS4, played maybe half an hour with the missus. Here's hoping the Switch version gets more use, if not, it can get returned too.

(Not) interesting story - I played the LEGO Harry Potter games partway through watching the movies, so certain story beats were spoiled for me. I still loved the movies though. I remember the games being fun, but the highpoint of the series is still LEGO Marvel Super Heroes and LEGO City Undercover.

And that quicksave/quickload feature of the Mega Drive collection sounds pretty sweet. I probably won't buy it since I have no nostalgia for a system I never owned, but I like the sound of that feature.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:34 PM, Eyjabria said:

I'm missing 6 rare Blades from the main game and I haven't tried the New Game+ stuff at all yet. The content in the main game lasted me 220+ hours so far and I probably have a lot of the Blade quests unfinished and then there's that lv130 or something boss creature waiting for me out there (got him out of the ice block and had to run for my life).

Just to circle back to this - this morning I unlocked the 2nd-to-last Rare Blade, so I'm only missing one at this point. I'm not counting the New Game+ ones, since those are just Blades used by the Torna group. However I did watch the Heart-to-Hearts on Youtube for those New Game+ Blades (they each get one).

My plan is to finish up the Rare Blade quests and Heart-to-Hearts since those are voiced and unique side stories. I may also finish up the non-Blade quests in my mission log. After that, I'll move on to the Prequel Story.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

5 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Boi, it's been out here for over 9 hours. 

Fortnite season 7 is where it's at, yo!

Ew fortnite.

SMASH TIME

11 hours ago, MMX20 said:

Smash Bros Ultimate is only one day away! Get hyped, guys!

It's here!

Game Awards 2018.

Nintendo logo, cool. Guardians, cool, I guess Telltale's game is coming over. Oh shit, he's not a Guardian. Neither is he. Neither is... Wait. FUCKING ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3?!?!?!? SWITCH EXCLUSIVE!?!?!?!? JESUS THIS IS GONNA BE A GOOD SHOW

*Show ends*

Well, it was alright, I guess.

Highlights:

Crash Team Racing HD, cool. Oh, it only has a PS4 logo. Oh, it isn't out until mid next year. 

Tomb Raider 3, wow, you look uglier than I remember.. Switch port? Nope. Free to play, okay, coo...never mind, it's a free trial.

Devil May Cry 5, oh a demo is out tomorrow, cool... probably just what I played at PAX anyway, but cool.

That shot of Reggie, Phil, and the PlayStation guy, doooooope.

I don't really remember anything else. All together, it was my first year watching the whole thing, and next year I'll just wait for the highlight reel I guess.

5 hours ago, The Titan said:

Ew fortnite.

SMASH TIME

Ew Smash.

Edit: Crash Team Racing is coming to Xbox and Switch day and date with the PS4 version... also with a 70 dollar tag, hmm, no thanks.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

So.. Joker from Persona 5 coming to Smash Bros Ultimate.. Could this indicate negotiations going on between Nintendo and Atlus to bring Persona main series games to Switch? Or is it just because of Persona Q2 on 3DS?

I'm somewhat interested in getting the new Smash Bros especially after seeing how great reviews it got, but I have too many games.

3 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Game Awards 2018.

Nintendo logo, cool. Guardians, cool, I guess Telltale's game is coming over. Oh shit, he's not a Guardian. Neither is he. Neither is... Wait. FUCKING ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3?!?!?!? SWITCH EXCLUSIVE!?!?!?!? JESUS THIS IS GONNA BE A GOOD SHOW

*Show ends*

Highlights:

Crash Team Racing HD, cool. Oh, it only has a PS4 logo. Oh, it isn't out until mid next year. 

Tomb Raider 3, wow, you look uglier than I remember.. Switch port? Nope. Free to play, okay, coo...never mind, it's a free trial.

Devil May Cry 5, oh a demo is out tomorrow, cool... probably just what I played at PAX anyway, but cool.

I don't really remember anything else. All together, it was my first year watching the whole thing, and next year I'll just wait for the highlight reel I guess.

Ew Smash.

Edit: Crash Team Racing is coming to Xbox and Switch day and date with the PS4 version... also with a 70 dollar tag, hmm, no thanks.

how dare you....

14 minutes ago, The Titan said:

how dare you....

Not sure which part, since you quoted the lot, so I'll assume Smash.

But yeah, I don't like Smash at all. Nothing against it, mind you, but like, I just don't care. Maybe because outside of Mario and maybe Kirby I don't give a toss about any of Nintendo's characters when I stop and think about it. Maybe that's why I enjoyed PS All-Stars. 

Just now, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Not sure which part, since you quoted the lot, so I'll assume Smash.

But yeah, I don't like Smash at all. Nothing against it, mind you, but like, I just don't care. Maybe because outside of Mario and maybe Kirby I don't give a toss about any of Nintendo's characters when I stop and think about it. Maybe that's why I enjoyed PS All-Stars. 

no worries man. I was only joking around. 

7 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Game Awards 2018.

*Show ends*

Highlights:

I read the announcements afterwards. Meh, I shouldn't have expected anything interesting.

I wish I could be excited about Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, but I can't. I got the collection of the first 2 games on PS4 when the bundle went on sale, but I couldn't even finish the first mission. It was probably a groundbreaking game back in the day, but the game was so bland and annoying to play. I kept thinking, "THIS is what everyone was so excited about?" LEGO Marvel Super Heroes was about a million times more fun, while having a much bigger playable cast and a great plot. I guess the 3rd game might be better, but I think the series most likely just isn't for me. That being said, it's a great exclusive for Switch to add to its library in terms of marketing.

I know the Metroid Trilogy port was just a rumor, but dammit I was holding out hope for it.

23 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Just to circle back to this - this morning I unlocked the 2nd-to-last Rare Blade, so I'm only missing one at this point. I'm not counting the New Game+ ones, since those are just Blades used by the Torna group. However I did watch the Heart-to-Hearts on Youtube for those New Game+ Blades (they each get one).

My plan is to finish up the Rare Blade quests and Heart-to-Hearts since those are voiced and unique side stories. I may also finish up the non-Blade quests in my mission log. After that, I'll move on to the Prequel Story.

I liked the Rare Blade quests a lot and I'm planning to complete most of them too. My favorite quest line was probably the one about Argentum's secrets that you start by finding the Nopon murals and gain a key to a special door. It was hilarious.

So Smash...

1. Forcing me to use the stick on the joycon for movement instead of the dpad.  For a fighter that plays like a platformer, that's a HUGE misstep IMO.  Mind-blowingly bad.  Reading around, I think that there are some features that require the stick but seriously, fuck that.  If nothing else, let me choose.

2. Adventure mode is hot garbage.  In fact the Spirits thing in general is trash.  IMO.  All you had to do was do something like Subspace Emissary.  You had one job.

I'm also pretty steamed up because I just lost one fucking crazy one-sided fight against the cheap ass AI in Adventure mode like 9 times in a row before turning that pile of shit off for a while.  This is clearly one of those situations where half of these matches I'll just keep losing and keep retrying and retrying and retrying until I manage to get the one time where the AI isn't playing like they have God mode turned on.  In other words, zero fun to be had.

I'm sure the game will be a hoot to play with friends and worth keeping around for that... but I can tell messing around on my own to unlock fighters is going to be a real big fat fucking annoyance.

Edited by Dreakon13

23 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

So Smash...

1. Forcing me to use the stick on the joycon for movement instead of the dpad.  For a fighter that plays like a platformer, that's a HUGE misstep IMO.  Mind-blowingly bad.  Reading around, I think that there are some features that require the stick but seriously, fuck that.  If nothing else, let me choose.

2. Adventure mode is hot garbage.  In fact the Spirits thing in general is trash.  IMO.  All you had to do was do something like Subspace Emissary.  You had one job.

I'm also pretty steamed up because I just lost one fucking crazy one-sided fight against the cheap ass AI in Adventure mode like 9 times in a row before turning that pile of shit off for a while.  This is clearly one of those situations where half of these matches I'll just keep losing and keep retrying and retrying and retrying until I manage to get the one time where the AI isn't playing like they have God mode turned on.  In other words, zero fun to be had.

I'm sure the game will be a hoot to play with friends and worth keeping around for that... but I can tell messing around on my own to unlock fighters is going to be a real big fat fucking annoyance.

Um... Are you sure you played well enough in Smash Bros Ultimate? I have been a fan of Smash Bros ever since N64 and I never had any problems fighting the AI in the Classic and Adventure Modes in Smash Bros Melee and Brawl. Or is it your first Smash game? Either that or you must have played on either Hard Mode or Normal Mode.

4 hours ago, MMX20 said:

Um... Are you sure you played well enough in Smash Bros Ultimate? I have been a fan of Smash Bros ever since N64 and I never had any problems fighting the AI in the Classic and Adventure Modes in Smash Bros Melee and Brawl. Or is it your first Smash game? Either that or you must have played on either Hard Mode or Normal Mode.

I've played all the Smash games at one point or another.  Either owned them or played them religiously at friends houses.  I don't think I'm bad at the game, but there's a mix of...

a. being forced to play as characters I usually don't play as while I unlock the rest

b. the awkwardness of the joycons and forcing me to use the stick to move (I can't remember how it worked with other Smash games and other controllers but it doesn't feel right at all here)

c. rarely having played against the AI in the past, usually just with/against friends

... happening here.

The AI is definitely cheap at times though.  There's just no question about that.  Or at least the game intentionally puts you into crazy one sided situations where even borderline cheap AI behavior thrives.  Maybe some folks are just so acclimated with the games that they know all the tricks to beating the AI... but if you don't, it's super off-putting.

EDIT: And that's on top of adventure mode just being a longer, cheaper, more repetitive arcade mode with modifiers thinly veiled by some pointless world map.  Which is disappointing when it could've been Subspace Emissary 2.0.

Edited by Dreakon13

Just another ragequit rant, but Smash Bros against the AI has to be one of the worst gaming experiences I can remember.  IMO, it's not a "git gud" situation... it's flat out broken.  I've never seen a game go from ridiculously easy to ridiculously hard difficulty-wise in the same damn mode just one match apart from eachother.  If that isn't the definition of imbalance I dunno what is.  Folks can disagree with me but I have to think Smash fans are just conditioned to accept this shit, since the single player content has probably been this awful from the start.

Doesn't help Adventure Mode is trash and the posterchild for this particular lack of balance.  I can't even pretend I care enough at this point to keep playing through it,  Smash is 100% a party/tournament game intended to be played with other people.  Everything else in it is a joke.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

Just another ragequit rant, but Smash Bros against the AI has to be one of the worst gaming experiences I can remember.  IMO, it's not a "git gud" situation... it's flat out broken.  I've never seen a game go from ridiculously easy to ridiculously hard difficulty-wise in the same damn mode just one match apart from eachother.  If that isn't the definition of imbalance I dunno what is.  Folks can disagree with me but I have to think Smash fans are just conditioned to accept this shit, since the single player content has probably been this awful from the start.

Doesn't help Adventure Mode is trash and the posterchild for this particular lack of balance.  I can't even pretend I care enough at this point to keep playing through it,  Smash is 100% a party/tournament game intended to be played with other people.  Everything else in it is a joke.

I disagree, playing against the AI is the only way I find smash to be fun, especially with a friend teamed up with you.

• Like 2

I can't comment on the AI difficulty in Smash Ultimate, but I certainly played some tough fights to unlock characters in Smash Brawl. That's the only game in the series that I played much of. 

I finally managed to unlock the last rare blade in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The only ones I don't have at this point, are the New Game+ blades that were added later, but they only have unique Heart-to-Hearts, not Blade Quests. I Youtube'd their Heart-to-Hearts. 

Progress in The Messenger has been kind of slow. I am on a boss fight against a giant purple boss, and the game is hinting that it's about to do the 16-bit switch.