Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

RE0, RE1 & RE4 are on the eShop now, but i'm going to wait for a sale before picking them up. I haven't found any info if any of the games support the motion controls either, which is something i was looking forward to, especially for RE4 since its Wii version was so well done with the motion controls.

39 minutes ago, Ren said:

RE0, RE1 & RE4 are on the eShop now, but i'm going to wait for a sale before picking them up. I haven't found any info if any of the games support the motion controls either, which is something i was looking forward to, especially for RE4 since its Wii version was so well done with the motion controls.

They are all preorders right now. Once they come out there should be reviews covering the motion controls. NIntendo Life typically includes stuff like that in their reviews.

And yeah, it's a shame they all got the Nintendo Tax price increase.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

13 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

They are all preorders right now. Once they come out there should be reviews covering the motion controls. NIntendo Life typically includes stuff like that in their reviews.

And yeah, it's a shame they all got the Nintendo Tax price increase.

Which Nintendo Tax are you talking about? I live in the US and I don't think I got that.

13 hours ago, MMX20 said:

Which Nintendo Tax are you talking about? I live in the US and I don't think I got that.

It's a slang term for games that cost more on Switch compared to PS4/Xbox One. The reasoning given was that the game cards are more expensive than Blu-ray discs, which is probably true, but the "Switch tax" sometimes shows up on digital-only games too. 

The upcoming RE games are all $30 on Switch while they're $20 on PS4/Xbox One. 

Got my hands on a second hand copy of Diablo 3 for the switch. Second hand because there is no way on this planet that I'm paying $80 for a game that's $30 less on the Ps4 and technically been out for years. It is a good port and it looks like my entire collection is second hand at this stage and I'm fine with that.

On 3/2/2019 at 4:31 AM, Eyjabria said:

I don't think I've ever heard someone say they don't like character customization, haha.

I don't. I like having stuff just there for me. Fired up Jedi Outcast (or Academy, I forget with the names of that series) and it has this cool little customization thing, and I just pick a blue Twi'lek because it looked cool. Outside of like Tony Hawk, when I was like 10, and would make myself, I never get into the customization stuff. Even on like GTA, San Andreas I usually just make my IRL kinda look, GTA V I've gone far enough that I've got Trevor dressed up as Tommy from Vice City. I just don't care. And *most* of the time, when it comes to skill trees and choices and shit, I'd rather just have a list of upgrades and grab them as I go. The more basic, the better, most of the time. It really does feel like a chore to me most of the time.

13 hours ago, MMX20 said:

We have it BIG time here in Australia. LA Noire on PS4/Xbone, 20 anywhere, Switch, cheapest is about 45. Lego anything is at least 20 bucks more usually as they rarely go on special on Switch. NBA Playgrounds 2 was in a bundle a couple months back with 2K18 for 49 bucks at EB, no bundle for Switch, 48 for Playgrounds and 80 odd for 2K. Digital games are similarly more 9 times out of 10. Even Starlink that is being CLEEEEARED at most stores, it's hit 30 on PS4/Xbone (120 RRP), and the lowest it's gone on Switch is 47 once. Sucks. Buuut, on the flip side, the day and date games usually have a discounted price day one and if you buy then like I do, you usually end up coming out alright, the Switch games hold their trade value MUCH better than PS4/Xbone games, which is good.

^ They do however we have Cash Convertors :)

HongKong is an excellent town to buy switch btw, I know we don't live there but bought Psikyo collection 1 and 2 there at a discount. Here in Australia, the games are way too expensive and specially for those that are perma docked like myself.

10 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I don't. I like having stuff just there for me. Fired up Jedi Outcast (or Academy, I forget with the names of that series) and it has this cool little customization thing, and I just pick a blue Twi'lek because it looked cool. Outside of like Tony Hawk, when I was like 10, and would make myself, I never get into the customization stuff. Even on like GTA, San Andreas I usually just make my IRL kinda look, GTA V I've gone far enough that I've got Trevor dressed up as Tommy from Vice City. I just don't care. And *most* of the time, when it comes to skill trees and choices and shit, I'd rather just have a list of upgrades and grab them as I go. The more basic, the better, most of the time. It really does feel like a chore to me most of the time.

You and I are of a kind. Agreed about everything, especially skill trees. It's weird, because I LOVE JRPGs, but I don't like spending much time choosing between upgrades.

On 3/1/2019 at 0:31 PM, Eyjabria said:

Ah, it's a shame you haven't liked the dungeon crawling in Persona Q. You might not enjoy the game much then. I personally like the Etrian Odyssey mapping aspect (I use the automapping too though, marking only doors, secret pathways and other spots of interest) and Persona Q's sub persona system offers more variation to combat and team customization than the main series Persona games, making battles more interesting.
If you're having trouble in PQ, try using status ailments. Bosses shouldn't be immune to them like in many other games.

I beat the first boss in PQ, and you were right about status ailments! I hit her with poison and it did like 150 damage each turn (my attacks only did about 50-70, since she was not weak to anything) which made a huge difference. I wasn't prepared though, and I beat the fight with only one character still conscious. Good thing it's not like regular Persona games and game over when the main character goes down!

Edited by MosesRockefeller

On 3/1/2019 at 11:43 AM, Eyjabria said:

I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 before I started XCX and didn't find the game jarring at all so far. 

I've played Xenoblade Chronicles X only for a few hours now so I can't really comment on much of the content. The art style is very different from XC2 and it seems it has heavier emphasis on exploration and lighter emphasis on story. Combat is quite similar to XC2 but the battle UI seemed confusing at first and it was a bit more tedious to trigger topples etc. quickly. It's still a lot of fun. The environments are impressive with humongous creatures roaming around - some were so big your own character is about the size of their toe.

You can customize your own character's looks, equipment, class and skills and you can select a division.

Bad points to mention: There's no Japanese audio option and the free DLC packs that make the physical game load assets faster were quite big so you might need an external drive if you want to install them all. The online features seem to have ceased to function at this point. The music so far hasn't been nearly as good as XC2's epic soundtrack. 

I quite liked the game so far and can see it becoming a huge time sink with places to explore and all kinds of missions to complete. Looking forward to flying a Skell.

I started XCX and it's cool so far. I just got to Chapter 2. I like the art style of XC2 better so far. I hear you about the online features too. That error message EVERY time the game loads is pretty annoying.

My daughter "helped" me design my character, which means he looks like me except with facial hair, purple hair, and butterfly face paint. It sort of takes the seriousness out of cutscenes... :P

I hope that I can swap my guns out for energy/laser guns. Bullets are boring, and I'd rather my "almost five year old" daughter not see real guns.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:20 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I beat the first boss in PQ, and you were right about status ailments! I hit her with poison and it did like 150 damage each turn (my attacks only did about 50-70, since she was not weak to anything) which made a huge difference. I wasn't prepared though, and I beat the fight with only one character still conscious. Good thing it's not like regular Persona games and game over when the main character goes down!

Good job!

On 3/4/2019 at 4:46 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I started XCX and it's cool so far. I just got to Chapter 2. I like the art style of XC2 better so far. I hear you about the online features too. That error message EVERY time the game loads is pretty annoying.

My daughter "helped" me design my character, which means he looks like me except with facial hair, purple hair, and butterfly face paint. It sort of takes the seriousness out of cutscenes... :P

I hope that I can swap my guns out for energy/laser guns. Bullets are boring, and I'd rather my "almost five year old" daughter not see real guns.

I was first put off by the character art style in XCX (one reason why I didn't get it back when it was released) but I quickly got used to it. XC2 art is much more to my liking. I managed to make a semi cute character but there were no proper blonde hair colors so I went with a weird gray hair. 

Maybe you should take your daughter's customization selections as a hint that you'd look much cooler with a beard, purple hair and a butterfly tattoo on your face. :D 

I'm not familiar with the weapon selection in the game yet but according to a wiki there are rayguns. https://xenoblade.fandom.com/wiki/Weapons_(XCX)

On 3/4/2019 at 7:20 AM, MosesRockefeller said:

You and I are of a kind. Agreed about everything, especially skill trees. It's weird, because I LOVE JRPGs, but I don't like spending much time choosing between upgrades.

Who are you using as your characters? Once you have access to both P4 and P3 characters, you can make a more balanced team. I went P3 MC, Akihito, Mitsuru in front and Naoto and Aigis in back. I did use Yusuke for a while, but realized how atrocious his luck is at the 3rd dungeon and switched. Also, used Rei and the other guy, but you'll realize that they aren't very useful because they are only useful for coverage. Their moves become pretty weak as soon as the end of the second dungeon. 

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

I was first put off by the character art style in XCX (one reason why I didn't get it back when it was released) but I quickly got used to it. XC2 art is much more to my liking. I managed to make a semi cute character but there were no proper blonde hair colors so I went with a weird gray hair. 

Hey, Elma has white hair so weird gray can't be that weird. :)

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

Maybe you should take your daughter's customization selections as a hint that you'd look much cooler with a beard, purple hair and a butterfly tattoo on your face. :D

It woudln't take much to make me look cooler. That said, I hate facial hair. I dislike shaving but not as much as I hate beards.

44 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Who are you using as your characters? Once you have access to both P4 and P3 characters, you can make a more balanced team. I went P3 MC, Akihito, Mitsuru in front and Naoto and Aigis in back. I did use Yusuke for a while, but realized how atrocious his luck is at the 3rd dungeon and switched. Also, used Rei and the other guy, but you'll realize that they aren't very useful because they are only useful for coverage. Their moves become pretty weak as soon as the end of the second dungeon.

I haven't properly started the second dungeon yet, but right now I have Yu and Makoto in front, and Naoto, Yukari, and Yukiko in the back. I'm playing the P4 story, and I gotta say it's weird to hear P3 MC talk. I haven't seen any anime/films where he talks. I was used to Yu talking because of P4A, P4AU, and P4DAN.

I'm looking to pick up another set of joy cons somewhere... but it seems like it'll be hard to do for less than $70-80 or so.  Which is pretty steep.

Any ideas where I could go or sales I could wait for to maybe get them a little cheaper?  eBay is just a mess of listings since everyone wants to sell the left and right joy cons separately but price them like you're buying both.  The few I can find that aren't obviously trying to exploit people are pretty expensive still.  Starting to think just walking into Gamestop or surfing Amazon and buying a new pair for whatever it costs may be my best/easiest/least confusing option.

Edited by Dreakon13

Bought Baba Is You for Switch yesterday.

Really awesome game with a unique puzzle concept where you alter the rules in how things work to achieve the goal. It was a lot of fun to figure out how to clear the levels together with my husband. Some of the levels were pretty tough already! I adore the music and graphical style.

If the game ever gets a physical release I'm going to double dip (need to support a brilliant Finnish game).

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Bought Baba Is You for Switch yesterday.

Really awesome game with a unique puzzle concept where you alter the rules in how things work to achieve the goal. It was a lot of fun to figure out how to clear the levels together with my husband. Some of the levels were pretty tough already! I adore the music and graphical style.

If the game ever gets a physical release I'm going to double dip (need to support a brilliant Finnish game).

I thought about getting it, but I'm on the fence if it's worth $15. What are your thoughts on it's value and how long is it?

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I thought about getting it, but I'm on the fence if it's worth $15. What are your thoughts on it's value and how long is it?

Been playing Baba Is You maybe for 4 or 5 hours now and cleared two areas which consist of multiple levels. The levels are getting more complicated and apparently there will be more mechanics introduced at a later point. I read somewhere that the game has over 200 levels so I think it's quite a long game to complete. 

I like how you can go back in time if you mess up (can also restart the level) and if something is too difficult to figure out there are other levels you can select from the world map. There are also more than one way to solve a level in some cases. 

I paid 9.60 € myself as I had some My Nintendo points to use for a discount. Would have bought it at full price too. So far I've found it incredibly clever and enjoyable game - I haven't faced terribly frustrating levels yet though.

• Like 1

I FINALLY finished Zelda Breath of the Wild.  As in, the main story, to the credits.  Which is my goal for most games.  I started it up again a few weeks ago and, in particularly "unlike me" fashion... stuck with it pretty consistently.  An hour or two after work here, another hour or two on a weekend there, etc.  No big several week/month gaps inbetween sessions.

There's a lot of things I really don't like about this game at all.  But I won't get into that.  They're abundant but minor in the grand scheme of things.  It's definitely one of the most creative, interesting takes I've seen on the open world genre (a genre that I think is beyond stale these days).  The world is as large and colorful as it is fascinating.  I have a love/hate relationship with the open ended-ness of the whole thing.  It's oppressively open ended.  That's the best way I can describe it... but that's also part of its charm and what makes it different.  You get a few map markers (if that) pointing to 4-5 inconspicuous points on the giant world map and that's about it.  The world is yours to approach from any angle.  Bosses are yours to approach at any angle.  The final rush into Hyrule Castle is yours to approach at any angle.  You could run head first into the final boss area right after the tutorial plateau if you knew what you were doing.  That's basically the story of this game... do what you want, when you want, however you want to do it.  It's refreshing and frustrating at the same time.

There's still A TON that I haven't done in the game yet.  Big continents of the map not unlocked.  Probably 70-80 or so shrines to do.  I've only upgraded my armor once, and that was this morning prior to the final boss.  I was planning on spending the next week or so just putzing around unlocking things before wrapping up the story but figured I'd see how difficult the final story stuff was... and ended up finishing it.  I did all of the Divine Beasts... which is probably the only reason I could stomach that final boss battle.  In my defense, I did a bit more side stuff in my last attempt at a playthrough of the game... so this time I stayed more focused on the main quests.

I'm happy to set the game aside for now though and just let it be that game I jump back to when the random mood strikes for some mindless exploring.  That is when the game is at its strongest afterall IMO.  'Til then, it's going back into its case and onto my 2019 game completion list.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 10:32 PM, Dreakon13 said:

I'm looking to pick up another set of joy cons somewhere... but it seems like it'll be hard to do for less than $70-80 or so.  Which is pretty steep.

Any ideas where I could go or sales I could wait for to maybe get them a little cheaper?  eBay is just a mess of listings since everyone wants to sell the left and right joy cons separately but price them like you're buying both.  The few I can find that aren't obviously trying to exploit people are pretty expensive still.  Starting to think just walking into Gamestop or surfing Amazon and buying a new pair for whatever it costs may be my best/easiest/least confusing option.

I ended up getting mine at Gamestop. I was worried about used or resold ones being faulty, and I had some Gamestop points so I just went there. They don't go on sale very often. 

I got the "watermelon" ones (bright green and pink), which I think look cool and go nicely with my red/blue ones. 

Seems all Valkyria Chronicles 4 DCL was on sale, so I got everything. Well, except the beach missions, which I did earlier. Not sure if I will actually play them all, but should be great doing Selvaria and Squad 7 mission at least.

Also tried getting back into Breath of the Wild. Can't say I'm feeling it. One of my favorite open world games, Morrowind, is very open-ended and relies on player paying attention to know where to go and what to do, but this isn't open ended same way as those old RPGs. Here you could still use fast travel and follow map-markers, but there might not be any reason to do that. I don't feel like I've yet to discover something amazing or truly useful. So many cooking items too... why does every game want to have their own terrible item creation system again? I don't know, maybe I should just decide on a strategy to get the game out of the way asap and see if I'm strong enough to pull it off.

2 hours ago, mecharobot said:

Also tried getting back into Breath of the Wild. Can't say I'm feeling it. One of my favorite open world games, Morrowind, is very open-ended and relies on player paying attention to know where to go and what to do, but this isn't open ended same way as those old RPGs. Here you could still use fast travel and follow map-markers, but there might not be any reason to do that.

Yeah, Morrowind was on another level in terms of open ended-ness.  That's probably the harshest open world single player title I've ever played, as evidenced by the fact I never really made it past the first town getting off the boat.  At least not progressing through the story/world in any meaningful way.  Of course, that was also 17 years ago.

BotW is a little more mindless than that... but still on it's own level compared to other more recent open world titles.  You aren't completely hung out to dry, but the four initial map markers for the Divine Beasts are almost literally in the four corners of the game world.  The other main quest marker that you get at the beginning of the game is pointing you literally to the final area.  It's more helpful than nothing, sure... but pretty intimidating all the same.  Especially when the game basically shows you how to run, jump, fight and glide, shows you a few tricks with the runes, and leaves you to your own devices with the rest.  It's not a terribly complicated game by any means, but for better or worse it's rare these days to see an open world title content to let you learn anything the hard way.

I mean most games nowadays have a great big world... but send you on a fairly linear path through it following a story, or only opening up chunks of it as you reach a certain chokepoints.  With functionality and exhaustive tutorial sections that open up as the world does.  There's no denying BotW is different, even if it isn't Morrowind.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 5:19 PM, mecharobot said:

Seems all Valkyria Chronicles 4 DCL was on sale, so I got everything. Well, except the beach missions, which I did earlier. Not sure if I will actually play them all, but should be great doing Selvaria and Squad 7 mission at least.

I guess I missed the DLC sale (or it wasn't on sale in the US eShop). I wish DLC sales were highlighted better. PSN shows them separately from the base games, but even then it's easy to miss. On eShop you have to know to look for DLC sales.

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

@Eyjabria agreed. I'm excited for those 2 games. I also thought My Friend Pedro looked pretty good. Kind of reminded me of a goofy version of the matrix. Cuphead is a D1 buy for me though!

My Friend Pedro looked fun and interesting but I'm cautious about how it will actually play and how everything is executed in the game. I'll have to see more of the game and read some reviews before I'm convinced.

I remember Morphies Law looked like a really fun and cool concept but in the end it got quite bad reviews because it had technical issues and it was lacking in many areas.