Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

14 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Well everyone... after over a year of not playing it...

I'm finally playing another Nintendo Switch game.

You know, maybe you're being TOO selective of a gamer there.

Seriously though, I play my Switch every day. I have always loved the Vita, and the Switch is a worthy successor.

Planning to finally start playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild this summer (got it at launch and watched husbando play it). Ordered a Link amiibo from eBay in preparation for that because I really want Epona. Will take a while before it gets here so I'm hoping to finish some games in the meanwhile.

Played quite a bit of Super Mario Maker 2 yesterday (had the day off from work).  Basically what I expected, having not played the first Mario Maker.  It's really cool, definitely scratches the Mario itch I've had.  Might even try my hand at making some levels at some point.  A few missed opportunities I think in things like letting people build out a world map/series of similar levels to kinda connect ideas instead of people "trying" to mimic that by naming their levels 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, etc where tracking down the next in a series can be a pain or just not worth it... but it's hard to complain when the game is basically a neverending stream of awesome Mario levels to play.  Feel like I never need to buy another 2D Mario game again. xD

Probably not really a game to make my "primary" though.  More one to just keep on hand to pop in and play for a few hours when friends are over, or when I'm between other games.  Might try and finish the story mode at least though, just to say I did it.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Played quite a bit of Super Mario Maker 2 yesterday (had the day off from work).  Basically what I expected, having not played the first Mario Maker.  It's really cool, definitely scratches the Mario itch I've had.  Might even try my hand at making some levels at some point.  A few missed opportunities I think in things like letting people build out a world map/series of similar levels to kinda connect ideas instead of people "trying" to mimic that by naming their levels 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, etc where tracking down the next in a series can be a pain or just not worth it... but it's hard to complain when the game is basically a neverending stream of awesome Mario levels to play.  Feel like I never need to buy another 2D Mario game again. xD

Probably not really a game to make my "primary" though.  More one to just keep on hand to pop in and play for a few hours when friends are over, or when I'm between other games.  Might try and finish the story mode at least though, just to say I did it.

I got it yesterday after work too. Definitely scratches the 2D Mario itch I've had. Definitely better than grabbing NSMB Deluxe for practically the same price. 

I made my first level last night. I think you'd enjoy it, Dreakon. It's very Metroidvania-ish.

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I got it yesterday after work too. Definitely scratches the 2D Mario itch I've had. Definitely better than grabbing NSMB Deluxe for practically the same price. 

I made my first level last night. I think you'd enjoy it, Dreakon. It's very Metroidvania-ish.

Got the code thingy?  The one I could use to search for it?  I'd definitely be interested in trying! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

Got the code thingy?  The one I could use to search for it?  I'd definitely be interested in trying! :)

It's YF4-TVC-11H. I think you'll like the name of it! ;)

Let me know what you think, good and/or bad. It's not perfect, but for a first attempt at a level (ever), I think it turned out okay!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

It's YF4-TVC-11H. I think you'll like the name of it! ;)

Let me know what you think, good and/or bad. It's not perfect, but for a first attempt at a level (ever), I think it turned out okay!

I liked it!  Honestly, I was having a heck of a time figuring out what to do.  Everything felt like a dead end, or the few paths I had left to try I couldn't figure out how to make the star last long enough or get the right powerups to get through something.  You might've gotten a little too creative for my brain tonight.

Then I kinda stumbled into what might've been an unintentional path to the end...

Spoiler

... in the musical note bouncy coin room if you jump over the right side...

... and then kept trying til I got the world record time on the stage. xD  Though that record holding probably won't last long.

My only advice (for whatever thats worth) is to play on the Metroidvania elements a little more.  There are lots of powerups in the game, see if there's any more creative ways to use them to either directly (or indirectly with keys) gain access to new areas.  Of course, maybe I missed big chunks of your level because I couldn't figure certain things out and you're already doing that more than I realize?  If so, maybe start off with some simpler environment puzzles and get more complicated as the player explores further out. 

All and all though, pretty cool level for your first one, and done in only a night it sounds like.  Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Does the game have a hard limit on how big and complicated a level can be?  I haven't actually tried the level builder yet.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I liked it!  Honestly, I was having a heck of a time figuring out what to do.  Everything felt like a dead end, or the few paths I had left to try I couldn't figure out how to make the star last long enough or get the right powerups to get through something.  You might've gotten a little too creative for my brain tonight.

Then I kinda stumbled into what might've been an unintentional path to the end...

Hide contents

... in the musical note bouncy coin room if you jump over the right side...

... and then kept trying til I got the world record time on the stage. xD  Though that record holding probably won't last long.

My only advice (for whatever thats worth) is to play on the Metroidvania elements a little more.  There are lots of powerups in the game, see if there's any more creative ways to use them to either directly (or indirectly with keys) gain access to new areas.  Of course, maybe I missed big chunks of your level because I couldn't figure certain things out and you're already doing that more than I realize?  If so, maybe start off with some simpler environment puzzles and get more complicated as the player explores further out. 

All and all though, pretty cool level for your first one, and done in only a night it sounds like.  Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Does the game have a hard limit on how big and complicated a level can be?  I haven't actually tried the level builder yet.

Yeah, you can only use "x" amount for each thing! I tried making a level with a bunch of warps and it tapped out at around 8-10.

Haha, I was wondering how someone cheesed through it! Makes sense now! I wonder if there's a way to fix that... You kind of miss out on the whole thing doing that! ? Anyways, to get the star to last long, you have to hit the block and run to the left immediately and let it come to you. Then hold down as you run into the pipe. It's a little bit of a time squeeze for sure, but I I had to make it precise because originally you had enough time to get to the beginning!

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Haha, I was wondering how someone cheesed through it! Makes sense now! I wonder if there's a way to fix that... You kind of miss out on the whole thing doing that! 1f605.png Anyways, to get the star to last long, you have to hit the block and run to the left immediately and let it come to you. Then hold down as you run into the pipe. It's a little bit of a time squeeze for sure, but I I had to make it precise because originally you had enough time to get to the beginning!

I did manage to get the star to the pipe, then rode the snake to the other pipe... but first attempt I went through the 2nd pipe after the snake ride and it was a dead end (I think, maybe I gave up too quick lol).  Then the second attempt I got the giant mushroom and became too big to get back onto the snake and couldn't go anywhere. xD

Figured I needed to get the star to run past over top the biting plant things to get to the pipe towards the beginning but couldn't figure it out.  At which point I started exploring and found the cheese ending. :)

Edited by Dreakon13

5 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I did manage to get the star to the pipe, then rode the snake to the other pipe... but first attempt I went through the 2nd pipe after the snake ride and it was a dead end (I think, maybe I gave up too quick lol).  Then the second attempt I got the giant mushroom and became too big to get back onto the snake and couldn't go anywhere. xD

Figured I needed to get the star to run past over top the biting plant things to get to the pipe towards the beginning but couldn't figure it out.  At which point I started exploring and found the cheese ending. :)

Ah, when you're big, you just have to hold left and you go in automatically if you jump back on the tail of the snake.

7 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Ah, when you're big, you just have to hold left and you go in automatically if you jump back on the tail of the snake.

But the snake stops in that reverse L position right?  I feel like there wasn't enough space after going big to get between the platform that the mushroom was in and the wall of the snake to get down to the pipe.

I think I'll try and play through it again tonight (the right way) and see what I'm missing. :D

EDIT: I'm the same way with other Metroidvania games, always kinda looking for the trick or the easy way out and missing the forest for the trees sometimes. ;)

Edited by Dreakon13

@Beyondthegrave07  Okay, I figured it out.  The snake drops off in pieces so you kinda have to sneak into the pipe before the last remaining block or two fall off, after you get big.  From that point on it all started clicking for me lol.

Sorry, I hope you don't find my struggling with it discouraging. xD  That one part got me pretty good.  It's really a cool level once you see how all the pieces work together.

Edited by Dreakon13

8 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

@Beyondthegrave07  Okay, I figured it out.  The snake drops off in pieces so you kinda have to sneak into the pipe before the last remaining block or two fall off, after you get big.  From that point on it all started clicking for me lol.

Sorry, I hope you don't find my struggling with it discouraging. xD  That one part got me pretty good.  It's really a cool level once you see how all the pieces work together.

FYI, I patched the cheese part. Uploaded a new one if you want to replay it's 741-R2S-QBG.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Well... this might be a problem...

Apparently there's only 4 worlds in Kirby Star Allies and I'm already to World 3.

Looks like I won't be playing my Switch for as long as I originally thought... 1f605.png

Then how about trying Yoshi? I've only played the demo of Kirby, but it seems similar enough for you to have fun with it as well. And Yoshi will probably take you a little longer to finish (I'm still not done completely after three weeks).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

FYI, I patched the cheese part. Uploaded a new one if you want to replay it's 741-R2S-QBG.

Played through the new one a few times trying for the best time I could. :)

Very nice level!  And I couldn't cheese the end anymore. xD

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RachelCharlotte said:

Then how about trying Yoshi? I've only played the demo of Kirby, but it seems similar enough for you to have fun with it as well. And Yoshi will probably take you a little longer to finish (I'm still not done completely after three weeks).

I'll second the Yoshi recommendation. I've only completed the first level, but I was quite pleased at how well made the game is.

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Played through the new one a few times trying for the best time I could. :)

Very nice level!  And I couldn't cheese the end anymore. xD

Thanks for giving it a try! I appreciate all the feedback and letting me know how you cheesed it! Probably would've taken some time for me to figure it out. xD

• Like 1

Today I finished Yoshi's Crafted World and I was surprised how difficult it got at the end. Had I not changed the mode and without a second player, I think the final challenges would have been as excruciating as the harder relics in Crash Bandicoot. Apart from that weird difficulty spike (only rewarding you with a costume and not even an additional level to use it in) and too much repitition I really enyojed the game - there is a great cutscene involving an innocent Shy Guy and that alone was worth playing the game :D

• Like 1

Started playing Zelda BOTW again from the beginning, I can't mention enough how brilliant this game is. Just need more of this quality, Got a tonne of JRPGS and that's good, also the new skyforce but nothing drawing me back to the switch for 2nd play through's like BOTW. I'll openly admit that the switch I have is modded, the benefit of this is emus and I guess piracy, the latter I don't pursue because at this stage I'm buying the same games on the ps4.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:25 AM, Salima-sensei said:

Friends of Mineral Town is getting a remake!!! Finally a SoS for Switch and my favorite.

Super duper happy! 1f60d.png

Also looking forward to the Rune Factory 4 remake and Rune Factory 5. :D 

Still hoping to get one before the holidays. I have no shortage of things to play for it. xD 

Edited by MidnightDragon

13 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Also looking forward to the Rune Factory 4 remake and Rune Factory 5. :D 

Still hoping to get one before the holidays. I have no shortage of things to play for it. xD 

oh, totally forgot about this, but yeah I will definitely buy this, too.

Edited by Salima-sensei

8 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

WELP. THAT DIDN'T TAKE LONG.

Honestly... that was the easiest Kirby game I've ever played. Oh well. That doesn't mean I didn't like it though. 1f605.png

See you all when I get around to playing The World Ends With You Final Remix. 1f630.png

Kirby Star Allies was a fun game with cool surprises. Did you finish The Ultimate Choice too? There's a secret extra boss.