Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

I may just have to wait and see what Black Friday brings for Switch deals. In the meantime, have a couple questions:

1. How much does the online cost a year?

2. Is any of the online free? (Like how you can still chat, access the online store, etc. on PS4 without Plus)

3. How much storage does the system itself have? I plan on buying a SD card, but still...

2 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

I may just have to wait and see what Black Friday brings for Switch deals. In the meantime, have a couple questions:

1. How much does the online cost a year?

2. Is any of the online free? (Like how you can still chat, access the online store, etc. on PS4 without Plus)

3. How much storage does the system itself have? I plan on buying a SD card, but still...

1. Here are the online subscription prices: https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/pricing/ Note that with the family plan you get subscription for 8 accounts / 8 consoles so if you have friends or family who want to sub too, you can share the cost. 

2. Accessing eShop is always free. I hear many online multiplayer games (such as Fortnite) don't require Nintendo Switch Online subscription either. I'm not very familiar with the features as I haven't found any need to subscribe after the online service stopped being free. 

3. Switch has 32 GB of internal memory. Regular microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards are compatible. 

Good guy Nintendo offers bonuses for any Switch owner. Having a My Nintendo account will earn you points for any eShop purchase, points can be used as a discount for any later eShop purchases. You can also register your physical games to get points. Also if you have a 3DS or Wii U and have My Nintendo points from eShop purchases, you can use them as discounts in Switch eShop. My Nintendo account is free and doesn't require any subscription.

• Like 1

What do you guys think of the Nintendo Switch Lite?  I almost never use it in handheld mode so it isn't really intended for me, but I see no harm in having a cheaper ($199) alternative for those who don't use it docked.

Edited by Dreakon13

24 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

What do you guys think of the Nintendo Switch Lite?  I almost never use it in handheld mode so it isn't really intended for me, but I see no harm in having a cheaper ($199) alternative for those who don't use it docked.

I think the colors are really ugly. Besides that, why not?

26 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I use it a lot in handheld so I think it's a good idea. The only game I really don't play in handheld at all is BoTW because that game should be enjoyed in 1080. The rest are hit and miss depending on how I feel.

For online, I always play in handheld because my switch can't get internet in my room for some reason on PvP games. Really my only complaint about the system.

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

For me the biggest disappointment about the announcement is they dropped support for TV play - I want to have the option to play the way I want. I don't get it why they're getting rid of the defining feature of the console. Why?? 

The worst thing about this is that the Animal Crossing limited edition console I've been waiting for since Switch was released is most likely going to be a Switch Lite (like the Pokémon Sword & Shield edition). Nintendo has promised a way to switch from playing a regular Switch to Switch Lite and the other way around but I'm not holding my breath and I'm almost certain it will be a feature linked to cloud saves and thus locked behind online subscription. 

The price point of Switch Lite is really attractive but may not be appealing enough for me considering no TV play possibility. 3DS is probably still a better handheld console.

19 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

For me the biggest disappointment about the announcement is they dropped support for TV play - I want to have the option to play the way I want. I don't get it why they're getting rid of the defining feature of the console. Why?? 

The worst thing about this is that the Animal Crossing limited edition console I've been waiting for since Switch was released is most likely going to be a Switch Lite (like the Pokémon Sword & Shield edition). Nintendo has promised a way to switch from playing a regular Switch to Switch Lite and the other way around but I'm not holding my breath and I'm almost certain it will be a feature linked to cloud saves and thus locked behind online subscription. 

The price point of Switch Lite is really attractive but may not be appealing enough for me considering no TV play possibility. 3DS is probably still a better handheld console.

I don't think it's intended to be a replacement for the base Switch (unlike say the PS4 Slim or Xbox One S), so the dropped TV/docked functionality makes some kinda sense.  It's just a pure handheld that can play the Switch library for those who don't use the dock, which is probably more common than people like me who don't use it as a handheld.  If you want the option, there's nothing stopping anyone from buying a normal Switch.

It'd actually probably be moreso (internal) competition for the 3DS.  Maybe even outright replacing it if/when support for the DS family ceases.

Edited by Dreakon13

So I'm curious what upcoming games (both confirmed and unconfirmed) are others excited for? Happy to share mine here:

Astral Chain - Compare to the other games on my list, my excitement for this game is more on the tepid side, but it looks awesome. I know Platinum Games has a good reputation, especially for their work on the Switch, but I haven't played any of their stuff yet. I've still got Bayonetta 1 and 2 in my Switch backlog, so my excitement for Astral Chain might increase if I play the Bayonettas first and enjoy those.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Really looking forward to this one, as I never owned a Game Boy and never played the original release. It's an old school Zelda game which will be totally new to me, and I'm excited for it.

Metroid Prime Trilogy - This hasn't been officially confirmed yet, but come on, is HAS to be coming at some point. It would sell a ton of copies and tide fans over until the delayed Metroid Prime 4 gets released. Since so many people bought new GameCube controllers for Smash Ultimate, the original controls from the first two games could be kept the same (a comfort for us old gamers), and Metroid Prime 3 could adopt the same controls. Speaking of Metroid Prime 4...

Metroid Prime 4 - Definite must buy for me. The Metroid Prime series is one of the best in all of gaming, and the first Metroid Prime might be my favorite game ever. Certainly one of my top contenders at a minimum.

Luigi's Mansion 3 - More on the tepid side again because I've never played a Luigi's Mansion game, but it looks fun. Might wait for a sale or special occasion to pick this one up.

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Like the yellow, but wanted to be able to play some on TV. Still, that price point is tempting.

Edited by MidnightDragon

58 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

So I'm curious what upcoming games (both confirmed and unconfirmed) are others excited for? Happy to share mine here:

Astral Chain - Compare to the other games on my list, my excitement for this game is more on the tepid side, but it looks awesome. I know Platinum Games has a good reputation, especially for their work on the Switch, but I haven't played any of their stuff yet. I've still got Bayonetta 1 and 2 in my Switch backlog, so my excitement for Astral Chain might increase if I play the Bayonettas first and enjoy those.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Really looking forward to this one, as I never owned a Game Boy and never played the original release. It's an old school Zelda game which will be totally new to me, and I'm excited for it.

Metroid Prime Trilogy - This hasn't been officially confirmed yet, but come on, is HAS to be coming at some point. It would sell a ton of copies and tide fans over until the delayed Metroid Prime 4 gets released. Since so many people bought new GameCube controllers for Smash Ultimate, the original controls from the first two games could be kept the same (a comfort for us old gamers), and Metroid Prime 3 could adopt the same controls. Speaking of Metroid Prime 4...

Metroid Prime 4 - Definite must buy for me. The Metroid Prime series is one of the best in all of gaming, and the first Metroid Prime might be my favorite game ever. Certainly one of my top contenders at a minimum.

Luigi's Mansion 3 - More on the tepid side again because I've never played a Luigi's Mansion game, but it looks fun. Might wait for a sale or special occasion to pick this one up.

I should probably be more interested in Link's Awakening than I am, maybe that'll change as it gets closer to release.  I remember playing that on my Gameboy as a kid, it was a staple of my late night gaming one summer break... plus it's the only Zelda title that I seriously started and finished, all the way up until Breath of the Wild recently.  Great game.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

It'd actually probably be moreso (internal) competition for the 3DS.  Maybe even outright replacing it if/when support for the DS family ceases.

Yeah it's definitely aimed at the 3DS crowd. The 3DS is what, 8 years old now? It's still getting a trickle of new games, but no new first party support that I know of.

Japan loves their portables, it's probably not a stretch to think that the majority of Japanese gamers who have the current Switch will buy the system again for a dedicated portable version with a D-pad.

I have been wanting a Switch for a while now but I was on the fence about buying one because I rarely play my other Nintendo consoles/handhelds. I was also worried that when I bought one that a new model would get released; I guess I don't have to worry about that happening now.

Now I'm unsure if I want the regular Switch or the Lite version. The regular version is better but the Light is cheaper and has a D-Pad.

@ZitMeatloaf,

I'm stoked for Fire Emblem 3 Houses and Pokemon Sword the most. I love FE and this new game feels like it's going to be very Persona-ish which I'm 100% okay with. And although Pokemon isn't going to have all 900 Pokemon, I can't stop from picking up a great RPG. It looks open worldish which makes it easier for me to put together teams.

I also have Astral Chain and Link's Awakening on my radar. I might try to snag those in a Black Friday sale if they get good reviews. Actually, might just snag them anyways! Haha.

As for games past 2019, Animal Crossing is high up on the list along with BoTW 2. BoTW is my favorite switch game and really hope they build off the first one. I loved Animal Crossing on the DS, even though I found it boring after getting a huge house. I think the new version will add more to do and have some fun co-op stuff that will keep me coming back for more.

You have a solid list though. I'm not buying the Metroid hype until we see some gameplay. Still, great time to own a switch!

14 minutes ago, SixyLove said:

I have been wanting a Switch for a while now but I was on the fence about buying one because I rarely play my other Nintendo consoles/handhelds. I was also worried that when I bought one that a new model would get released; I guess I don't have to worry about that happening now.

Now I'm unsure if I want the regular Switch or the Lite version. The regular version is better but the Light is cheaper and has a D-Pad.

I think it depends on how much you value 1080 HD graphics and upped visuals. I personally don't find it any less enjoyable to play games in handheld than docked, but some games are meant to be on a big screen (BoTW and SSBU to name a couple). I can definitely tell the difference between the two, but people don't normally play Nintendo for the graphics.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SixyLove said:

Depends on how you want to play really. If you see yourself using the switch as handheld more, go lite. If you want to play it like a traditional console then get the original. I rarely ever play my switch off the dock in my case.

• Like 1

Got Senran Kagura Peach Ball and while I like the game, I'd say it's definitely not worth the asking price of 39 €. The premise is funny and the pinball gameplay is fun but it doesn't quite make up for the lack of content. I completed the story mode of all characters and have been playing a bit in Free Play. 

There's only two pinball tables with changeable background and different seasons or time of the day which alter the look slightly. The other table has various minigames (in addition to the sexy challenges) opening up as you clear challenges listed on the side of the screen. I would have hoped there would be more lanes in the tables to add more variation to gameplay. There are only 5 characters which seems lazy on the developer's part as there's a huge roster of characters in the game series. I say lazy and not greedy as they aren't selling additional characters as DLC (yet). 

Art is very nice as expected from the Senran Kagura series and the music is energetic. I noticed in Free Play you sometimes get secret super sexy challenges that unlock special items not found in the shop which is nice.
Technically the game performs flawlessly. There's no framerate issues in either TV or handheld mode. HD rumble can be switched off completely or partially choosing to turn it off from certain features. 

There are some strange design issues like the logos at the start of the game being unskippable, sexy challenge animations being unskippable and chosen pinball table background suddenly resetting to default after a super sexy challenge. I also didn't understand what the setting of randomizing outfit in Free Play was supposed to do as the characters' outfits were always the ones chosen in Dressing Room. 

Diorama interface is clunky (I think that was the case in Estival Versus too, though). Yesterday I was trying to make a nice scene with a couple of girls and I couldn't even see the outfit as I was changing it - the UI was covering the character I was trying to customize. After posing the characters nicely and changing the diorama background the girls were swallowed by the ground and I was supposed to go through the tedious process of positioning the characters again. You'd think they would have made sure it's easy to swap the backgrounds with matching elevation in each one but that wasn't the case. Things like this make it feel like a sloppy release. 

The items in the shop are pretty expensive compared to the amount of money you are awarded when playing so if you want to purchase all items prepare for a grind.

tumblr_puhi5tbZKP1tyw21qo3_1280.jpgtumblr_puhi5tbZKP1tyw21qo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_puhi5tbZKP1tyw21qo5_1280.jpgtumblr_puhi5tbZKP1tyw21qo4_1280.jpgtumblr_puhi5tbZKP1tyw21qo2_1280.jpg

Edited by Eyjabria
  • Like 1

I've already played the JPN version of Peach Ball enough, so I'm definitely waiting for a discount on this one.

Also for money, I've gotten over 50 000 per level a few times. You'll need to activate hustle mode (3 balls) and Super Fever Time at the same time and mash away (preferably on the Peach Land stage). Use score multiplier items if available.

I think the most money I've gotten has been something like 37 000? Been using the multiplier balls at times too. Not sure how the points convert into money or if something else asides from points give money. Considering many items cost 10 000 or 30 000 in the shop, it's going to take a while to buy everything. 

By the way, @mecharobot have you found a way to randomize both outfit and accessories for the characters? I think there was a setting for outfits only.

5 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

By the way, @mecharobot have you found a way to randomize both outfit and accessories for the characters? I think there was a setting for outfits only.

The japanese menu guides were a bit lacking, so it's not something I fully understand. Maybe it has something to do with saved outfits? All I know is I got dressing room stuff show in free mode and the menu screen for some reason.

2 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Anyone getting Fire Emblem 3 Houses on Friday? I got it pre-ordered on Amazon. I've been watching a lot of footage to get myself ready for the 80-hour journey!

I'd be curious to see what house everyone picks and how people mold their characters in general. 

I'll definitely get it. 

I got into fire emblem quite recently. Played through awakening and conquest just a few months ago and absolutely loved t hem. Not sure yet which house i'm going to go with. Will probably make my decision when i fire it up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

I'll definitely get it. 

I got into fire emblem quite recently. Played through awakening and conquest just a few months ago and absolutely loved t hem. Not sure yet which house i'm going to go with. Will probably make my decision when i fire it up.

Same, I am feeling Black Eagles for my first playthrough, but I'm just going to talk to everyone and look at the stats before I decide. I like my sorcerers and my vengeance (hopefully still a skill). It's how I beat Classic Lunatic mode on Awakening. xD

I've seen a lot of reviewers pick either Black Eagles or Golden Deer so I wonder if the Blue Lions are just boring or something. I hope there are in-game stats on who picked what. :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Anyone getting Fire Emblem 3 Houses on Friday? I got it pre-ordered on Amazon. I've been watching a lot of footage to get myself ready for the 80-hour journey!

I'd be curious to see what house everyone picks and how people mold their characters in general. 

I'm getting the limited edition on Friday! I'm going in pretty much blind. I've seen some trailers but haven't looked much into the characters or gameplay mechanics, etc. beforehand. 

I'm planning on picking the... whatever that red house was called because I liked the leader's design and style the most. I'm surely going to make my own character a berserker or something similar like in the earlier Fire Emblem games. Brute forcing with raw power is my thing, I'll leave picking flowers and casting fairy-fart spells to others (to my husband).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I'm getting the limited edition on Friday! I'm going in pretty much blind. I've seen some trailers but haven't looked much into the characters or gameplay mechanics, etc. beforehand. 

I'm planning on picking the... whatever that red house was called because I liked the leader's design and style the most. I'm surely going to make my own character a berserker or something similar like in the earlier Fire Emblem games. Brute forcing with raw power is my thing, I'll leave picking flowers and casting fairy-fart spells to others (to my husband).

I preordered the digital version with an eShop voucher. Not sure what house I'll pick, I'm also mostly going in blind. I never finished Fates (I only started one of the modes, even though I had all 3), only Awakening, so I'm hoping this will get me back into the series. I doubt I'll play through multiple times, I have too many games on my backlog to do that with anything these days.

• Like 1