Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

I ended up picking the Golden Deer. I liked Edelgard the most of the 3 leaders and her abilities too, but I thought the Golden Deer characters had the most charm.

I plan to do 3 playthroughs anyways (1 on Normal, 1 Hard, and 1 on Lunatic once that arrives) so it's not like I'm not going to try them all out eventually.

Bought Three houses and I'm enjoying it so far. Kind of wish there was a Voice Actress for the female avatar like I choose. If you can't customize the avatar, at least give them a voice during interactions? Doesn't make sense that the NPCs do but you don't. Maybe it's an interactive. 

6 hours ago, The Titan said:

Bought Three houses and I'm enjoying it so far. Kind of wish there was a Voice Actress for the female avatar like I choose. If you can't customize the avatar, at least give them a voice during interactions? Doesn't make sense that the NPCs do but you don't. Maybe it's an interactive. 

I thought it was weird too that you can't make the main character a real "My Unit". I'm worrying it will be harder to identify with the character and feel attached to her. Couldn't even give her a name I normally use because she didn't look like my usual avatar characters.
What makes the lack of voiced dialogue even weirder is that there's apparently been some controversy around the voice actor of English male Byleth. I play with Japanese audio myself and haven't heard female Byleth say anything so far. 

I played until I got to the monastery and now I'm trying to wrap up Persona Q2 (I'm in the last dungeon) to better concentrate on Fire Emblem.

11 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I haven't yet, but will this weekend. I've heard he's pretty OP. What do you think?

I'm not skilled enough at the game to offer a proper opinion (I'm just somewhere in the average range), but I can see how skilled players could make him a beast. He can charge up his neutral special (a fireball projectile) and save it for whenever you want to use it. His directional smashes have pretty good range (Edit: his smash attacks will also randomly [in RPG fashion, which makes sense] cause critical hits), and his recovery move gets absurd height (about half the vertical distance of the screen, if you have enough MP).

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
  • Like 1

On 28-7-2019 at 2:58 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I ended up picking the Golden Deer. I liked Edelgard the most of the 3 leaders and her abilities too, but I thought the Golden Deer characters had the most charm.

I plan to do 3 playthroughs anyways (1 on Normal, 1 Hard, and 1 on Lunatic once that arrives) so it's not like I'm not going to try them all out eventually.

3 playthroughs seem like a lot lol. It's a pretty long game, i'm 25hrs in and am about halfway through (i think).

I went with the black eagles. 

It's a really good game. It has a pretty good balance between the social life and battles. I really like that the support characters get so much screentime and are way more fleshed out than in the previous games. The overall story starts slow in this one though, at the point i'm at now (chapter 13) it's been picking up quite a bit. Excited to see where it goes.

The only thing that really bothers me though is the silent protagonist in this one. It always bothers me when JRPGs do this, he has voice lines in battles but not in convesations.

3 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

3 playthroughs seem like a lot lol. It's a pretty long game, i'm 25hrs in and am about halfway through (i think).

I went with the black eagles. 

It's a really good game. It has a pretty good balance between the social life and battles. I really like that the support characters get so much screentime and are way more fleshed out than in the previous games. The overall story starts slow in this one though, at the point i'm at now (chapter 13) it's been picking up quite a bit. Excited to see where it goes.

The only thing that really bothers me though is the silent protagonist in this one. It always bothers me when JRPGs do this, he has voice lines in battles but not in convesations.

Yeah, but I'm not going to do it back to back to back! Lol. I just mean, over time. I played Fire Emblem Awakening 700 hours total since it was released. I think I'll get to 300 hours eventually for 3 playthroughs. Haha.

Anyways, the silent protagonist is my only complaint so far. They put so much life into all the other characters that it surprised me that the MC wasn't given as much care.

8 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good traveling case for your Switch? I'm going to be flying across the country in a few weeks and want to grab a good traveling case that'll fit in a backpack.

Thanks in advance everyone! Any info would be appreciated!!!

I had a basic case (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYABCCJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that I upgraded to a deluxe case (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078WGWRBF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). They're both good, but the more expensive one has a tradeoff. It's a much taller case (although it still fits easily in a backpack), but it comes with a grip that actually works with the Switch dock (although it's a very tight squeeze). I really like the grip so that case has been very nice for me.

I'm still hooked on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. It has some difficulty spikes that have forced me to grind some levels, but it's so fun that I don't mind. I'm using Star-Lord, Scarlet Witch, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), and Spider-Gwen.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I had a basic case (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYABCCJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that I upgraded to a deluxe case (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078WGWRBF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). They're both good, but the more expensive one has a tradeoff. It's a much taller case (although it still fits easily in a backpack), but it comes with a grip that actually works with the Switch dock (although it's a very tight squeeze). I really like the grip so that case has been very nice for me.

I'm still hooked on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. It has some difficulty spikes that have forced me to grind some levels, but it's so fun that I don't mind. I'm using Star-Lord, Scarlet Witch, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), and Spider-Gwen.

Does the first one have a compartment to put games/charger? 

8 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good traveling case for your Switch? I'm going to be flying across the country in a few weeks and want to grab a good traveling case that'll fit in a backpack.

Thanks in advance everyone! Any info would be appreciated!!!

I ordered this one and I love it:

https://www.amazon.com/Hestia-Goods-Switch-Carrying-compatible-Nintendo/dp/B0711K97BS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hestia+goods+nintendo+switch+case&qid=1565268654&s=videogames&sr=1-3

I feel like it protects the Switch well and it has all the storage/compartments I need. I also received great customer service from the company when the nylon strap used to lift out the Switch began to fray - they sent me a new case at no charge. If you get this one, I'd recommend adding some electrical tape to the end of the nylon strap to prevent future fraying. The black tape blends in and actually makes it easier to get a hold of the end of the strap. For ten bucks I think it's a great deal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Does the first one have a compartment to put games/charger? 

No, it really just holds the Switch and some games. The bigger one has more room. I don't pack a charger with my Switch (I bring a USB-C charger separately for my phone, tablet, and Switch when I'm traveling).

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

I'm looking for a new game for my Switch, preferably something that can be played in short increments. While I'm sure massive games like Fire Emblem are great, I need something less... epic, shall we say, to be played in shorter stints.

Right now my two main contenders are Cadence of Hyrule and Cuphead. I downloaded the demo for Cadence and it seems like a lot of fun. I've always loved Zelda games, and the music would be amazing. I've never played Cuphead, but I've heard it's awesome and provides a good challenge.

Is there anybody who had experience with these games who wants to weigh in and help me decide? I like the Cadence demo, but is the full game worth $25? Cuphead is only $20, and by all accounts is well worth it at full price. Or feel free to throw out other suggestions.

7 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

I'm looking for a new game for my Switch, preferably something that can be played in short increments. While I'm sure massive games like Fire Emblem are great, I need something less... epic, shall we say, to be played in shorter stints.

Right now my two main contenders are Cadence of Hyrule and Cuphead. I downloaded the demo for Cadence and it seems like a lot of fun. I've always loved Zelda games, and the music would be amazing. I've never played Cuphead, but I've heard it's awesome and provides a good challenge.

Is there anybody who had experience with these games who wants to weigh in and help me decide? I like the Cadence demo, but is the full game worth $25? Cuphead is only $20, and by all accounts is well worth it at full price. Or feel free to throw out other suggestions.

I have Cuphead and it is a very difficult game (even the "platforming" levels), but it feels fair. There's no such thing as a cheap death like you'd feel in a game like hotline Miami. The game itself is only 3 worlds (that could take anywhere from less than an hour to several hours to complete), but each boss battle is a little different. You can equip items and switch your bullet types to make it easier. However, the enemies get faster and more health as you upgrade as well so you can't OP your way through.

If you're okay with playing hard game and you really enjoy run and gun games, this is a must buy imo.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Or feel free to throw out other suggestions.

Not sure what you're into really, or what you already have, but maybe Super Mario Maker 2?  As far as "short stint" games go, that game is going to probably be in my rotation forever... one level might take a few minutes tops.  I could spend all night playing the game, or just a handful of levels for a quick hit.  Even the crappy levels (and there's plenty of them) are fascinating just from the perspective that someone thought it was good enough to publish online. xD

But I LOVE the classic Mario games... so it scratches that itch for me in the best way possible. :)

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Or feel free to throw out other suggestions.

I forgot to mention this, but the Doom games are all on the Switch now. Just played through the first one and loved it (outdated graphics and all). You can save wherever you want and all the levels are pretty short. Might be good to consider since they're $5 a piece for 1-3.

If you like GoldenEye or Perfect Dark for the N64. You can see how those games took a page out of the Doom playbook.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I forgot to mention this, but the Doom games are all on the Switch now. Just played through the first one and loved it (outdated graphics and all). You can save wherever you want and all the levels are pretty short. Might be good to consider since they're $5 a piece for 1-3.

If you like GoldenEye or Perfect Dark for the N64. You can see how those games took a page out of the Doom playbook.

I played a ton of Doom and Doom II on PC back when they originally released. Way more than my parents probably wanted to see, I'm sure! They were great, but I think I'd rather try something new.

9 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

I bought Cadence of Hyrule at full price (well, got some discount with My Nintendo points) when it launched and it was well worth its price for me. Completed the game 100% once and enjoyed the game a lot. I'm planning to pick it up again and play as Link this time as I hear they've added achievements in a recent update. 

If you're looking for other suggestions for games that can be played in short bursts, maybe have a look at Baba Is You? The difficulty of the puzzles ramps up quite a bit at some point but boy is it satisfying to solve the levels. Played Baba for 55+ hours now and still haven't cleared all the levels.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Right now my two main contenders are Cadence of Hyrule and Cuphead.

They are both great choices. Personally I'd prefer Cuphead over Cadence. Similar games that I can recommend to you are The Messenger, Blazing Chrome and Hollow Knight.

• Like 1

In case anyone cares... I've decided to get the Switch version of Undertale (Physical Edition)

I'm doing Pacifist ONLY. No Genocide. This is not changing. Sorry. ?

Also... yes I'm aware of Deltarune. However... I don't like getting things in 'parts' so I'll probably end up waiting for a full release and/or a Physical Edition of that as well. ?