Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Has anyone gotten one of the new revision flagship Switches that runs cooler and has better battery life? If so, what do you think?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to upgrade just for the battery life. I wouldn't make much use of the better battery at home, but I can see it being very useful on trips, especially with a 7-year-old who likes video games (I try to raise them right).

Used early model Switches are still selling for more than $200 on eBay, so I could upgrade for less than $100 by selling my old one. Thoughts or experiences to share?

Been playing some expansions, got them for both Zelda BotW and XBC2. Generally it was good to play BotW again, I ended up doing all the shrines in the main game. The Champion's Ballad was mostly just more shrines and I was not happy to fight Waterblight with 10 arrows and a crappy spear, but extra cutscenes and the dungeon were nice. I also did the first round of Trials of the Sword, but I did not enjoy it very much. Took a long time and I rather not stealth around at this point in game. Also got the Tunic of the Wild, but that's a little late. I've already beaten the game with my hobo-Link.

Not far in Golden Country yet, but there are some much welcome QoL improvements in combat and exploring. Really enjoying seeing Jin with his driver too. Kind of sad, tho. One thing I do not like that player is forced out of the new continent before really even doing anything. I rather not explore places I already did in the main game. Haven't used the DLC code yet, but I might finish some side quests in the main game if I get in the groove.

Mario Maker 2 is my Dark Souls. xD

I've played Dark Souls and usually I'll get to a boss, try 2-3 times and give up.  Like I wasn't enjoying it that much, so why put myself through it.  The difference with Mario Maker is that I seem to be drawn to the tougher levels... so I'll try 2-3 times, then 2-3 more, then a dozen more, then a dozen more, then a couple dozen more... until I eventually beat it.  I see why people find difficult things exciting, but I think the only genre I have the patience for with that are platformers.

This level is probably the lowest clear rate I've finished (46 completions incl. me out of 9000-some attempts).  Really enjoyed it, it tested me but didn't really feel unfair at any point.  Started it last night since I had some people over and we were playing... decided to give it up for the sake of giving others a turn.  Went back and started fresh with/finished it this morning:

aWl3e03.jpg

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

For those in the United States, Target's website has a 12-month family membership to Nintendo Switch online on sale right now (August 30th) for $28 (compared to the normal price of $35). So if you have a family subscription to Nintendo's online service and need (and want) to re-up soon, this might be a good deal to jump on - I don't see it going on sale very often through any retailers. I can't find anywhere on the listing how long this sale will last, so I'd advise don't delay if you want to buy it.

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-switch-online-family-membership-12-month-digital/-/A-54259091

There's been a lot of rumors and speculation that Super Nintendo games will be added to the online service soon, which I'm personally looking forward to.

21 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

There's been a lot of rumors and speculation that Super Nintendo games will be added to the online service soon, which I'm personally looking forward to.

I hope so! I think they'll eventually raise the price of the subscription though and Pokemon/SMM2 is going to be the only reason I renew tbh. NES games are nice, but I hardly play them. I feel the same will happen with the SNES games in time.

Granted, SNES game selection is waay better than NES so we'll see.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Titan said:

Has anyone gotten Astral Chain? It's like an anime Cyberpunk game only on Switch. 

I skipped Astral Chain for now due to my backlog on Switch. I'm possibly getting it later. I see the reviews have been very positive and the setting is interesting.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:47 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I have Cuphead and it is a very difficult game (even the "platforming" levels), but it feels fair ... If you're okay with playing hard game and you really enjoy run and gun games, this is a must buy imo.

On 8/14/2019 at 5:17 AM, soniq said:

They are both great choices. Personally I'd prefer Cuphead over Cadence.

I purchased Cuphead and after adjusting to the steep learning curve, I'm really enjoying it. I finished the first world yesterday, and it's just what I was looking for: a great game I can play in short stints. In the complicated crossover world between adulting and the desire for more game time, it is often the case that I only have short periods of time to squeeze in some gaming: 15 minutes before dinner, 30 minutes during the kids' swim lesson, etc. This is the perfect kind of game for those situations.

I'll probably get Cadence of Hyrule eventually as well, but for now I'm loving Cuphead. I appreciate everyone's input.

• Like 2

I wonder if Deadly Premonition on the Switch will actually not run like crap and crash every 10 minutes... because if so, I may actually pick it up at some point.

EDIT: Also kinda thinking about picking up the game Chasm.  But would prefer either catching it on sale or going physical if it ever gets that treatment someday.

Edited by Dreakon13

On 3.9.2019 at 9:02 AM, The Titan said:

Has anyone gotten Astral Chain? It's like an anime Cyberpunk game only on Switch. 

Also got it this week. It does feel like it has some Nier Automata's mechanics in gameplay, but overall it's maybe a bit slower. You can choose to play male/female, there's visual customization and it's quite pleasing to look at. There's jap audio as well.

Only thing is, I don't like playing it with the JoyCon. There's no control scheme that lets player remap dash (which is pushing down the left stick). I guess the reason is that it can be played in co-op mode. I'm thinking of changing to easiest difficulty simply to avoid dashing as to not break my controller. Game is cool but not worth breaking my second set of joycons over.

Edited by mecharobot

Super Nintendo games, now available on Switch. Me:

"Hey, some SNES games are finally available! What should I play? Maybe Breath of Fire? I've played a shit ton of RPG's, but I've never played the Breath of Fire series... Or how about Kirby's Dream Land 3? I mean, I finally played Kirby's Adventure on the NES app, and it's not like there's going to be a complex story to follow, so I could play that... Or maybe Pilotwings? That was a launch title, right? Never played that one before..."

So naturally, I started up what is probably my 17th playthrough of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 1:48 AM, mecharobot said:

Also got it this week. It does feel like it has some Nier Automata's mechanics in gameplay, but overall it's maybe a bit slower. You can choose to play male/female, there's visual customization and it's quite pleasing to look at. There's jap audio as well.

Only thing is, I don't like playing it with the JoyCon. There's no control scheme that lets player remap dash (which is pushing down the left stick). I guess the reason is that it can be played in co-op mode. I'm thinking of changing to easiest difficulty simply to avoid dashing as to not break my controller. Game is cool but not worth breaking my second set of joycons over.

Why would you ever pick a second set of joycons over a pro controller?

I was reluctant to buying one myself, but the joycons are so uncomfortable for my taste, so I ended up getting a pro controller and I never touched my joycons again xD 

10 minutes ago, Franciscoo- said:

Why would you ever pick a second set of joycons over a pro controller?

I was reluctant to buying one myself, but the joycons are so uncomfortable for my taste, so I ended up getting a pro controller and I never touched my joycons again xD 

I only do in handheld. I got the freaking joycon drift on one pair and now I try not to use them at all in case it does it again after I fixed it.

34 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I got the freaking joycon drift on one pair and now I try not to use them at all in case it does it again after I fixed it.

The drift issue sucks. I replaced the analog stick on one of my joycons myself (not too bad with a little YouTube guidance). So far so good with that one. After Nintendo started offering joycon repairs for free, I contacted them after the left stick on my second pair of joycons started drifting as well - got an email back pretty quickly, they sent me a shipping label to send back the controller and will mail it back to me when it's done, free of charge.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sasu_naru said:

Rune_Factory_4_Collectors_Edition.jpg

This special Edition was announced for Europe.

I'm crying, I need and want this so, so much. 

They're trying to reel me in using my weak spots: artbooks and soundtracks. I'll remain strong and resist as I've already played Rune Factory 4 on 3DS (excellent game btw).

Is it just me, or is the perspective or proportions wonky in the packaging artwork, especially for Frey?

40 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

They're trying to reel me in using my weak spots: artbooks and soundtracks. I'll remain strong and resist as I've already played Rune Factory 4 on 3DS (excellent game btw).

Is it just me, or is the perspective or proportions wonky in the packaging artwork, especially for Frey?

I've played it on 3DS and I'm willing to play it on Switch too and I'm afraid I can't resist and I'm going to buy this Edition eventually. (If I manage to grab one once it's up on their store).

And no, that's one of the first things I noticed too. Maybe it's just the perspective? :D 

On 9/5/2019 at 8:01 AM, Dreakon13 said:

I wonder if Deadly Premonition on the Switch will actually not run like crap and crash every 10 minutes... because if so, I may actually pick it up at some point.

EDIT: Also kinda thinking about picking up the game Chasm.  But would prefer either catching it on sale or going physical if it ever gets that treatment someday.

I bought it day one. Big fan of the game. It  runs better than PS3 (no crashes so far with 4~5 hours of gameplay) I have noticed some problems with the audio from time to time though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MMX20 said:

I just learned that Nintendo made a new Switch accessory and a RPG disguised as an fitness game. I want to try to lose some weight, so I want to give it a shot when I have the chance.

Have you tried Fitness Boxing? It's great for getting some exercise and actually quite fun. There's a variety of different routines (with jabs, straights, hooks, uppercuts, blocking, weaving, ducking, etc.) and selection for exercise duration and speed.

The game has helped with my stiff shoulders and you can get a good sweat playing it when you go for some of the more intense routines. We have played it every evening with my husband for the past 4 months. I've heard people have had good results using the game for losing weight as well.

There's a demo available on eShop if you want to try it out.

I saw the trailer for Ring Fit Adventure and it looked like it might be fun. The visuals made it look like a mobile game and I'm not sold on the gameplay I saw. I'm going to see some reviews before even considering getting it. I was hoping for a new Wii Fit, though I occasionally still play Wii Fit U on Wii U.

Edited by Eyjabria