Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Yeah, there's already people speculating that GF purposely left Pokemon out to add as DLC to charge us more money.

I don't think that's the case.

I think GF was hurt so much by the backlash that they decided to make an expansion pass to make people happy. I think they already knew they were going to have an expansion with a few new Pokemon but I don't think they were originally going to add the extra 200 IMO. 

There's several interviews that talk about how employees were shaken by the negative backlash and were really upset about it. I think this was more of a move to show that GF is listening.

From what I just saw on Discord... it's not working. At all.

The complainers are now claiming it 'proves' the game was 'incomplete' at the start and doesn't fix how it's 'broken' and literally what I just said. That it should have been on the base game and it shouldn't be charged money for it.

It seems to be making matters worse.

I don't feel this way obviously. It's just what I've seen.

On 09/01/2020 at 11:42 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

Expansion Pass was announced for Pokemon Sword & Shield during the Direct today.

One for Sword & One for Shield. Armor & Tundra. Not sure which one is for which.

However... they are adding a bunch of old pokemon into the game through it as well as more Gigantamax forms, Legendaries, Galar forms, & Galar forms for previous legendaries (most notably Moltres/Articuno/Zapdos who look SO MUCH BETTER in the Galar form then the original Kanto versions IMO. 1f60d.png)

Pretty sure they have their own stories too. New legendaries as well.

This is isn't going to stop the National Dex complainers though. Now they will just whine that this should have been done in the first place and shouldn't cost money. 1f611.png

Oh... and the first Mystery Dungeon game is being released with a remake verison in March. 1f613.png

fuck my life

I understood if you buy the expansion pass for Pokémon Sword you can play both Isle of Armor expansion in June and Crown Tundra expansion in September(?) when it launches. However, if you want to play the expansion content in Pokémon Shield, you'd need to buy the expansion for Shield.
Would have been nicer if they had sold just one expansion pass which would work for both games as there are people/households who own both games. 

I agree about the Galarian legendary bird designs, they looked nice in the concept art. Maybe the original Articuno is nicer than the new design. 

The expansion content looks nice and interesting but I'm not sure I will play the game in June anymore. If it came out now, I'd purchase it for sure.

I'm still not done with Pokémon Shield, I have all 8 gym badges but still not ready to move on to challenge the champion. It's been fun to fill up my Pokédex and I bred a cute little Joltik in Premier Ball and EV trained her to be a Sp.Atk sweeper. She's doing a great job even though I haven't replaced her Everstone with an Eviolite yet to boost defs (don't want to risk accidentally forgetting to cancel evolution). 

I played Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon on 3DS last year and it was a really fun game. Might download the demo for PMD: Rescue Team DX.

• Like 1

Image result for mystery dungeon rescue team

F... this is my calling (even my pal Lucario was added for the first time in this installment). It's finally time to get my own Nintendo Switch. 

I already knew this year of gaming was going to have some surprises I want that haven't been announced yet, but I'd never have thought, realistically, it'd be a Nintendo Switch game called Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. (Well, I actually slightly entertained the idea that a MD could be developed after Pokemon Sword/Shield, but I didn't think it'd be this soon and necessarily on Switch, mainly a new installment though.) I have every other title (that released in the west), and I've heavily enjoyed every single one of them. While this is only a remake—which why would anyone say in a subordinated way, when Nintendo remakes, such as Pokemon FireRed and Pokemon SoulSilver, are known for being magnificently better games than their original counterparts and some even surpassing completely new installments, overall doing more than enough to warrant paying for them "again"—it's still something to be interested in and buy even if you've played the original.

I absolutely love the better choice to remake an older title than just dive deep into a brand new installment with relatively little experience with the hardware. A sequel or even another remake of a different title after this one is bound to benefit from this decision. Plus, remake of older titles are better suited for introductions into or rediscovery with, a series. Also, the installment being remade has the luxury itself of fixing mistakes made and implementing elements introduced in sequels to become a better game than its original counterpart.

This game and series needs to be supported. 

So at the start of 2020, I used one of my birthday and Hannukah money to buy a Wifi Extender, Netgear at Wally World. After a few issues setting it up, I managed to get it up and running and it really helped with my Switch's Wifi. Much better than before. Also, on my birthday last month, I somehow got a EU copy of Pokemon Sword as my birthday gift. But luckily, Nintendo Switches are region free and the upcoming Sword and Shield Expansion Packs will work with my EU copy of Sword. Other than that, I also got Luigi's Mansion 3 on January 2020.

So, has anyone tried the battle tower or online competitively for Pokemon? I'd love to hear what Pokemon/movesets people are coming up with.

I've taken out whole teams at the battle tower with this...

Milotic lvl 50/sp attck boost nature nature/marvel scale (EV is Defense maxed, and the rest split between HP and SP attk) holding leftovers

Protect

Aqua ring

Recover

Scald

I'm considering switching recover with whirlpool, but I haven't tested it yet. However, this definitely works at the battle tower. IVs are trash though on it so it'll be interesting to see how it works with perfect IVs.

Cloyster lvl 50/Adamant nature/Skill link (EVs max out Defense and Sp attk) holding razor claw

Icicle spear

Pin missile

Rock blast

Liquidation

So skill link allows multi-hit attacks to hit the max amount of times. This setup works well for me and usually can take out Pokemon in one move if weak against ice/rock/bug. IVs are trash on this too, but it seems to work pretty well in the battle tower (not as well as Milotic though). And again, this is with bad IVs too so it may get better.

I did hear this ridiculous strategy though with an dragophish (fossil Pokemon). You essentially EV train it's attack and speed, give it a choice scarf and spam an attack called "fishious rend." You can 1 hit KO almost every Pokemon if you outspeed. Toxapexes, Snorlaxes, and other tanks die in a single hit from it. I haven't tried it personally, but if you are wanting to beat the battle tower or go competitive, I'd suggest giving this a go.

I've been trying to find a good baton passing Pokemon. I used to use Gliscor, but he's not available (yet). I think a baton passer would work well with my cloyster. I'm using Umbreon, but I think there are better options out there.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

So, has anyone tried the battle tower or online competitively for Pokemon? I'd love to hear what Pokemon/movesets people are coming up with.

I've taken out whole teams at the battle tower with this...

Milotic lvl 50/sp attck boost nature nature/marvel scale (EV is Defense maxed, and the rest split between HP and SP attk) holding leftovers

Protect

Aqua ring

Recover

Scald

I'm considering switching recover with whirlpool, but I haven't tested it yet. However, this definitely works at the battle tower. IVs are trash though on it so it'll be interesting to see how it works with perfect IVs.

Cloyster lvl 50/Adamant nature/Skill link (EVs max out Defense and Sp attk) holding razor claw

Icicle spear

Pin missile

Rock blast

Liquidation

So skill link allows multi-hit attacks to hit the max amount of times. This setup works well for me and usually can take out Pokemon in one move if weak against ice/rock/bug. IVs are trash on this too, but it seems to work pretty well in the battle tower (not as well as Milotic though). And again, this is with bad IVs too so it may get better.

I did hear this ridiculous strategy though with an dragophish (fossil Pokemon). You essentially EV train it's attack and speed, give it a choice scarf and spam an attack called "fishious rend." You can 1 hit KO almost every Pokemon if you outspeed. Toxapexes, Snorlaxes, and other tanks die in a single hit from it. I haven't tried it personally, but if you are wanting to beat the battle tower or go competitive, I'd suggest giving this a go.

I've been trying to find a good baton passing Pokemon. I used to use Gliscor, but he's not available (yet). I think a baton passer would work well with my cloyster. I'm using Umbreon, but I think there are better options out there.

I had almost the same moveset for Milotic in earlier games except I had Ice Beam instead of Protect. Used Rocky Helmet to make physical attackers kill themselves while I kept healing with Aqua Ring and Recover. I haven't played the game far enough yet to check out Battle Tower but I need Giga Drain from there for my Joltik. Maybe I could finally stop catching Pokémon and actually advance the story... 

The Dracovish strategy sounds cool. I haven't made any of the fossil Pokémon yet as I only found 3 identical parts so far. ( -__- ) 

For Pokémon that learn Baton Pass, check here https://pokemondb.net/move/baton-pass

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I had almost the same moveset for Milotic in earlier games except I had Ice Beam instead of Protect. Used Rocky Helmet to make physical attackers kill themselves while I kept healing with Aqua Ring and Recover. I haven't played the game far enough yet to check out Battle Tower but I need Giga Drain from there for my Joltik. Maybe I could finally stop catching Pokémon and actually advance the story... 

The Dracovish strategy sounds cool. I haven't made any of the fossil Pokémon yet as I only found 3 identical parts so far. ( -__- ) 

For Pokémon that learn Baton Pass, check here https://pokemondb.net/move/baton-pass

Haha, yeah. The Milotic setup is pretty classic and still effective. One of my favorites to use. The Cloyster one is new to me. Never knew about skill link.

BTW, whirlpool does work extremely well instead of recover, but ice beam is good too. I actually lost because I was left with my Milotic against a water absorbing Vaporeon. I like protect because it allows time to stall and heal up or let the enemy die from burn. 

Feel free to share with me if you learn of anything good.  I'd love to test it out! 

• Like 1

Anyone buy Tokyo Mirage sessions for the switch? Looks like it plays like a persona game crossed over with Fire Emblem characters as your personas.

It's piqued my interest to say the least. Definitely will be watching for a sale on it. Not a lot of switch games on my radar this year so I may come back to this once I finish some of my games.

Here's a trailer for those who are interested...

Had a real "fuck it" moment about an hour ago and ordered one of these...

569356-Mega-Man-Switch-box-set.jpg

The box set is in Japanese obviously, but the games have English language and are the only way to get a lot of them physically on the Switch.  Loved Mega Man back in the day, even though I always sucked at it.  It'll be fun to have ALL the games, and have the box set for the shelf. ;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

Had a real "fuck it" moment about an hour ago and ordered one of these...

569356-Mega-Man-Switch-box-set.jpg

The box set is in Japanese obviously, but the games have English language and are the only way to get a lot of them physically on the Switch.  Loved Mega Man back in the day, even though I always sucked at it.  It'll be fun to have ALL the games, and have the box set for the shelf. ;)

That box is freaking gorgeous, capcom needs to bring it west

17 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Anyone buy Tokyo Mirage sessions for the switch? Looks like it plays like a persona game crossed over with Fire Emblem characters as your personas.

It's piqued my interest to say the least. Definitely will be watching for a sale on it. Not a lot of switch games on my radar this year so I may come back to this once I finish some of my games.

Didn't get Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Switch because I own the original on Wii U (haven't had time to play it yet, though). Apparently it's quite a good game and I remember @MosesRockefeller recommending it here too. I'm currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U so not planning to pick up TMS quite yet. 

On the Switch side of life, I finally finished the main story of Pokémon Shield! 
It was a great game, probably the best Pokémon game since Pokémon X/Y (Black2/White2 is still my favorite). The art direction was good, I liked the characters and the new Pokémon were nicely designed. Maybe the music wasn't quite as memorable as in the past games but it still fit the events well. The quality of life improvements like easy access to Pokémon box, fast travelling, exp share for whole party and visible Pokémon in the environments made the experience very enjoyable. The renewed gym challenges were quite refreshing too. There were some slight annoyances but now I don't even clearly remember what they were. 
I'm still going to play the post-game content and catch some more Pokémon. :)

• Like 2

On 11/30/2019 at 9:36 PM, Dreakon13 said:

Tempted to pick up Ring Fit Adventure just to compliment some other health/exercise changes I'm looking to make.  I liked the Wii Fit's and this sounds like kind of a fun iteration of that.

Anyone have it and have any thoughts to share?  I hear it has a cute little story and RPG progression to it... is there anything else that motivates you to keep coming back every day?  Even after the story is done?

And do you need a lot of physical space to move around in for it to work, and do you need to be square to the Switch for it to pick up your movements?  Because I'm thinking I'd need to move the Switch out of the office and into the living room if I got it (I prefer it in the office for gaming but there isn't much standing room).

Hi, just saw your comment. I have Ring Fit Adventure and have been playing for a few weeks. It's a really good workout, you can customize to your workout lvl and the RPG  part of the game is excellent. You forget you are exercising which is pretty cool while earning points/coins and gear. You can also do exercise reps with the Ring with the Switch in sleep mode if you want. Also has leaderboards and you can send 'gifts' to your friends who also play, gifts being coins that you earn doing reps, etc. I find it all very motivating and know several friends feel the same way.

And no you don't need alot of physical space. You are basically running in place and the joycon on the ring and leg strap do a good job of reading your movements. Again, you can choose which exercise movements you want so if something doesn't work for you or your space, you can just replace with something that does.

Anyway, you posted this a while back so not sure if you already got but wanted to respond just in case.

18 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I played Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE on WiiU and loved it ... and am now playing on Encore on Switch. Great game! Not perfect but the Persona battle system combined with the music is fantastic. The voice actors are excellent and the story is alot of fun, ending is intense. Encore includes all the dlc from the WiiU game & also has some new content. If you like JRPG's, you would probably like.

lol I guess you can tell I'm a fan of the game? Have to say my only complaint with Encore is that I had hoped the graphics would have been improved but overall it still looks pretty good. Like I said, not perfect but still a great game.

It's nice to have something to play on Switch tbh. I played BotW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and still play Splatoon 2 occasionally but otherwise my Switch was just collecting dust.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2020 at 0:11 PM, Eyjabria said:

Didn't get Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Switch because I own the original on Wii U (haven't had time to play it yet, though). Apparently it's quite a good game and I remember @MosesRockefeller recommending it here too. I'm currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U so not planning to pick up TMS quite yet.

I enjoyed TMS on Wii U but the dungeons got a little repetitive towards the end. Maybe my problem was doing too much fighting and overleveling? I played Persona 5 afterwards and enjoyed it more (although the Mementos dungeons were very bland and the biggest weak point of that game). I am not getting the Switch version of TMS, but I would say it's worth a look.

I was also playing XCX on Wii U but I had the Wii U disconnected for a long time before, during, and after our move. Now that I have it hooked back up, I realize how bored I had gotten in XCX, and I have decided to abandon it. It was too directionless and open for me. I have lost almost all interest in "open world" games over the past few months, and XCX being so open combined with a lack of story focus, made me really lose interest. I liked XC2 a lot though, so I'm looking forward to playing the original game when it gets ported to Switch.

On Switch, I recently finished Fire Emblem Three Houses. I took the Edelgard path, and I had FemByleth romance her (yes, it's kind of subtle since it's Nintendo, but it's there). I enjoyed it, although I can see why hardcore strategy fans think it's not challenging enough. I played on Classic but thanks to Divine Pulse and overpowering Byleth, Edelgard, and my black magic characters, combat wasn't usually very challenging. I have the season pass so I'll check out this new story DLC, but I doubt I'll do another full run through a different house.

I'm mostly playing Luigi's Mansion 3 now, which is a lot of fun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo... I went and pre-ordered Animal Crossing: New Horizons Edition Switch yesterday. It's going to be my 4th Animal Crossing limited edition console (and our 3rd Switch). 
I was hoping for a white console but this one doesn't look that bad. The pastel Joy-Con colors are pretty and the subtle pattern on the back of the console looks stylish. Also put in a pre-order for that matching carrying case. 

1a.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Sooo... I went and pre-ordered Animal Crossing: New Horizons Edition Switch yesterday. It's going to be my 4th Animal Crossing limited edition console (and our 3rd Switch). 
I was hoping for a white console but this one doesn't look that bad. The pastel Joy-Con colors are pretty and the subtle pattern on the back of the console looks stylish. Also put in a pre-order for that matching carrying case.

I was going to ask why you have 3 Switches, and then I realized the answer is "because we don't need 4". What a dumb question! ?

Anyway, I agree, that's a nice looking edition.

I want to get a Switch so bad, but I keep waiting for a "Pro" model.

If I had a Switch I would immediately get Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Super Mario Odyssey, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Regardless if there is a pro model or not, once Metroid 4 Prime releases, I will get a Switch the same day.

Edited by Bodyodorthegrave69

5 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I was going to ask why you have 3 Switches, and then I realized the answer is "because we don't need 4". What a dumb question! 1f61c.png

Anyway, I agree, that's a nice looking edition.

Hehe, actually if Nintendo released a nice looking white Animal Crossing Switch Lite, I'd buy that one too. At the moment we have the regular launch Switch and my husband has a Pokémon edition Switch Lite. Some people spend money on subscription services, booze or travelling, we buy 8 different 3DSs... :lol:

• Like 1

Anyone still playing Smash Ultimate? I've finally gotten around to playing it for myself.

It's fun. I'm just bad at it. Which is fine because I'm only playing it for fun anyway. It's taking way to long to get all of the characters though... ?

If you want to play me... that's fine with me. I'm just bad so expect to kick my ass. PM for Friend Code I guess.

1 hour ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Anyone still playing Smash Ultimate? I've finally gotten around to playing it for myself.

It's fun. I'm just bad at it. Which is fine because I'm only playing it for fun anyway. It's taking way to long to get all of the characters though... ?

If you want to play me... that's fine with me. I'm just bad so expect to kick my ass. PM for Friend Code I guess.

Iirc all you have to do is play a regular smash match and you'll get a new challenger after every single match.

I did it the slow way using the spirit board to unlock characters

2 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Iirc all you have to do is play a regular smash match and you'll get a new challenger after every single match.

I did it the slow way using the spirit board to unlock characters

Unlocking characters via the story mode on the spirit board takes forever. Regular smash matches unlock characters faster, but you don't necessarily get a new challenger after every match. With standard match durations, it's more like every 3 or 4 matches.

The frequency with which the game presents new challengers is based on horizontal distance travelled during matches (distance travelled on the spirit board overworld doesn't count, unfortunately). So if you want challengers more quickly, set up a custom match with a 20 minute time limit, run back and forth with player one for 19 minutes and 50 seconds, then have player two jump off a ledge so the match has a winner before the time runs out. You'll get new challengers at the end of matches several times in a row after that.

If you lose to a challenger, you can fight them again after a cool down period of about 10 minutes on the Games & More section of the main menu (doors in the lower right corner). Hope this helps.

On 23/01/2020 at 3:49 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I enjoyed TMS on Wii U but the dungeons got a little repetitive towards the end. Maybe my problem was doing too much fighting and overleveling? I played Persona 5 afterwards and enjoyed it more (although the Mementos dungeons were very bland and the biggest weak point of that game). I am not getting the Switch version of TMS, but I would say it's worth a look.

I was also playing XCX on Wii U but I had the Wii U disconnected for a long time before, during, and after our move. Now that I have it hooked back up, I realize how bored I had gotten in XCX, and I have decided to abandon it. It was too directionless and open for me. I have lost almost all interest in "open world" games over the past few months, and XCX being so open combined with a lack of story focus, made me really lose interest. I liked XC2 a lot though, so I'm looking forward to playing the original game when it gets ported to Switch.

On Switch, I recently finished Fire Emblem Three Houses. I took the Edelgard path, and I had FemByleth romance her (yes, it's kind of subtle since it's Nintendo, but it's there). I enjoyed it, although I can see why hardcore strategy fans think it's not challenging enough. I played on Classic but thanks to Divine Pulse and overpowering Byleth, Edelgard, and my black magic characters, combat wasn't usually very challenging. I have the season pass so I'll check out this new story DLC, but I doubt I'll do another full run through a different house.

I'm mostly playing Luigi's Mansion 3 now, which is a lot of fun.

Chiming in to tell you that I finished Xenoblade X last night. I have a feeling it's worth playing until the end. I don't know how far you're in the main story, but chapter 5 had a really cool plot twist and the last chapter (chapter 12) is amazing IMO.

I had problems knowing how to fulfill the story mission prerequisites (affinity missions, etc.) or where to find items required sometimes, so I actively used a wiki to find NPC and item locations: https://xenoblade.fandom.com/wiki/Xenoblade_Chronicles_X That made playing a lot smoother and I didn't have to waste time running around aimlessly. 

Once you get your Skell license, leveling up becomes a lot faster and easier. And once you get a flight module to your Skell, exploration and installing probes on Mira gets really fast and easy. When you get your Skell, upgrade it to a lv 30 Skell frame as soon as possible and get a G-Buster shoulder weapon (same goes for your party). A team of 4 lv 30 Skells can wreck many lv60 enemies. 

Xenoblade Chronicles X is a really impressive game in terms of scale and scope of the world, one of the most ambitious games I've seen and I'm surprised it runs so well on Wii U. I was also surprised the online features are still active (minus Miiverse integration). I'm going to continue playing post-game content at least for a while to see what kind of higher level Skells and/or additional content become available.

• Like 1