Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Wonder if Switch will ever be easy to come by again. They're going for high prices on eBay. The Lite isn't as much, but you can still sell one for over retail. I've also decided to downsize my Switch library quite a bit. You can PM me for a link if interested, but I only sell to the US for the most part because of issues with international orders in the past. 

On 7/4/2020 at 3:25 AM, BlackTorito said:

I just finished Mario Odyssey, and what a blast.

Good story, good graphics, great music, great gameplay mechanics (possessing things are great), great innovation and puzzles, great and innovative boss battles (I wish BotW had these bosses), nostalgia bits, great pacing that kept me going even after having to lay it down off for a week or two, just the right amount of content; and there is also some more endgame content, and a new mode to gain coins for additional cool costumes.

I can’t seem to find anything bad, close to a 10/10 for me.

Yeah, I'd actually put it up there as my favorite Mario games of all time. It's one of those games I feel like I can just pick up, earn some moons, put it down, and come back days later and keep going where I left off. And each time, it's refreshing to return to and never overstays its welcome.

Before I beat it, I literally had my own "Mario time" where I'd sit down and play it every week. Haha. Definitely a game all switch owners should play!

• Like 1

I'm a bit ashamed to say I haven't bought Mario Odyssey yet (not much of a platformer fan) and I've had Zelda: Breath of the Wild since launch and still haven't started it. Instead I keep picking up other games to add to my never-ending backlog. Like Snack World: Dungeon Crawl Gold on Friday... :blush: 

I'm close to 100% completing Octopath Traveler, just a few more side stories to do and then I'll be ready for the real final dungeon. I have about 120 hours in my save file now and I've loved the game a lot. The visuals, music, gameplay and world-building really hit a home run with me. I really liked the 8 individual down to earth stories for the characters and how they have slowly started to connect. If Square makes a sequel like they had planned, I'm getting it day one.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

I'm a bit ashamed to say I haven't bought Mario Odyssey yet (not much of a platformer fan) and I've had Zelda: Breath of the Wild since launch and still haven't started it. Instead I keep picking up other games to add to my never-ending backlog. Like Snack World: Dungeon Crawl Gold on Friday... :blush: 

I'm close to 100% completing Octopath Traveler, just a few more side stories to do and then I'll be ready for the real final dungeon. I have about 120 hours in my save file now and I've loved the game a lot. The visuals, music, gameplay and world-building really hit a home run with me. I really liked the 8 individual down to earth stories for the characters and how they have slowly started to connect. If Square makes a sequel like they had planned, I'm getting it day one.

How was the “grinding” part? One of the downsides I heard is that combats get old quickly.

5 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

How was the “grinding” part? One of the downsides I heard is that combats get old quickly.

So far I haven't had a reason to grind. I just beat one of the hardest bosses in the game and after failing many many times, I thought I'd need to get more levels to survive. In the end it was enough to change my strategy slightly. Just doing each characters' story quests and having them around has been enough so far. I'll see soon if I'm underleveled for the last dungeon...

Battles can last long, especially the boss battles. I find the battle system and secondary job system interesting with its many options so I haven't gotten tired of it.

9 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I'm close to 100% completing Octopath Traveler.

This is literally me right now with my Switch! I've just brought three games on the eShop and I'm quite ashamed to say I've NEVER finished a single game on my Switch, unless Stardew Valley counts ?. I have a couple of weeks of soon so my plan is to finish a few games to 100% to try and ease the shame ?

I think Octopath Traveler will be one I play as the more I see you write about it, the more I want to play it!

Edited by AshestoAshes28
Spelling
  • Like 2

Once again in case anyone on here cares...

I have finally started playing Pokemon Sword for myself. I'll be making my own decisions about it despite all the negativity it has received.

I'm not against trying a Raid. If you want to do one with me... that's fine. Contact me I guess. But I feel like I need to get a decent team and get them to decent levels first... but I'm willing. lol. ?

My team right now: Shinra the Scorbunny and Crow the Rookidee ?

Edited by SelectiveGamer
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I have finally started playing Pokemon Sword for myself. I'll be making my own decisions about it despite all the negativity it has received.

I'm not against trying a Raid. If you want to do one with me... that's fine. Contact me I guess. But I feel like I need to get a decent team and get them to decent levels first... but I'm willing. lol. 1f605.png

My team right now: Shinra the Scorbunny and Crow the Rookidee 1f60d.png

You probably don't need help with earlier raids, but I play a lot of Pokemon so I can always help you out if it gets too tough. Just hook me up on discord. It's in my about me.

I also play a lot of competitive Pokemon so if you want to battle, I'm down for that too.

On 8/2/2020 at 0:00 PM, AshestoAshes28 said:

This is literally me right now with my Switch! I've just brought three games on the eShop and I'm quite ashamed to say I've NEVER finished a single game on my Switch, unless Stardew Valley counts ?. I have a couple of weeks of soon so my plan is to finish a few games to 100% to try and ease the shame ?

I think Octopath Traveler will be one I play as the more I see you write about it, the more I want to play it!

Yeah I bought several games as well, and started some but have  yet to finish any ....

can you ever finish Star Dew ... thought that goes on and on and on .... lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I'm not against trying a Raid. If you want to do one with me... that's fine. Contact me I guess. But I feel like I need to get a decent team and get them to decent levels first... but I'm willing. lol. ?

My team right now: Shinra the Scorbunny and Crow the Rookidee ?

Sword is one of those games i haven't finished lol...started it and even restarted ... got past 3rd gym this time ... need to get back on that

On 02/08/2020 at 5:17 PM, Eyjabria said:

So far I haven't had a reason to grind. I just beat one of the hardest bosses in the game and after failing many many times, I thought I'd need to get more levels to survive. In the end it was enough to change my strategy slightly. Just doing each characters' story quests and having them around has been enough so far. I'll see soon if I'm underleveled for the last dungeon...

Battles can last long, especially the boss battles. I find the battle system and secondary job system interesting with its many options so I haven't gotten tired of it.

Ok, I wasn't expecting that... Strolled into the final dungeon of Octopath Traveler, was doing fine in the boss rush section, thinking to myself that this seems easy peasy. Then the final boss kicked my ass. I couldn't even get through the first phase of the boss fight. So now I'm back to the drawing board with my party setup and I need to level some of my characters a bit as some were just lv 40 (I've seen people recommend lv 65 for the fight). Leveling has been fast though as I found a great place for that and equipped exp accessories and support skills.

Took a small break from Octopath for now to play Paper Mario: The Origami King, Cat Quest and Touryst on PC.

On 02/08/2020 at 8:00 PM, AshestoAshes28 said:

This is literally me right now with my Switch! I've just brought three games on the eShop and I'm quite ashamed to say I've NEVER finished a single game on my Switch, unless Stardew Valley counts 1f633.png. I have a couple of weeks of soon so my plan is to finish a few games to 100% to try and ease the shame 1f602.png

I've been better at finishing games after I started using Backloggery. Beating games might take me a long time as sometimes I get distracted with other shiny games... At least I was able to resist the eShop summer sales. Almost bought AI Somnium Files as it was -50% but decided I need to finish some of my backlog first and I wouldn't have played it right away anyways. Might as well wait for another sale.

At the moment I have 11 unfinished Switch games and 6 of them I haven't even started yet. ? 

If Octopath seems like your kind of game, there's a demo on eShop you can try out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I've been better at finishing games after I started using Backloggery. Beating games might take me a long time as sometimes I get distracted with other shiny games... At least I was able to resist the eShop summer sales. Almost bought AI Somnium Files as it was -50% but decided I need to finish some of my backlog first and I wouldn't have played it right away anyways. Might as well wait for another sale.

At the moment I have 11 unfinished Switch games and 6 of them I haven't even started yet. 1f605.png 

If Octopath seems like your kind of game, there's a demo on eShop you can try out.

I've heard of that site and I've been thinking about giving it a go so I might do that!

That is me when I go on the eShop and see several games that I like/don't need ? there's so much stuff on there, it's hard not to buy something ? I think I have at least 20, maybe more, that I haven't even started yet ??‍♀️

Octopath is one of the games in my backlog as I fell in love with the demos when they originally came out ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my adventure in the world of origamized crime (Paper Mario: The Origami King) yesterday. I quite liked it, lots of fun characters and dialogue, cleverly written scenes, great looking environments and nicely designed levels/areas. The story was pretty good and I was surprised at how some events hit me in the feels - I was definitely not expecting to see that kind of content in a Paper Mario game. The battle system could have been more fun (I was very bad at it) and rewarding, boss battles sprinkled an additional layer of planning/strategy on top.

Finding hidden Toads was probably my favorite thing in the game as usually it led to some kind of silly dialogue and/or event. Such as a Toad in his underpants being released from a giant clam and covering himself up, resembling the Birth of Venus painting.

• Like 2

Alright... to be completely honest... that didn't take as long as I was king of hoping/thinking it would. Oh well I guess. I finished my Galar adventure last night and have completed Pokemon Sword & Isle of Armor to my liking.

Here are my final thoughts about it. Most people probably won't like how I feel about it but I literally don't care at all.

9/10. All of the whiny baby complaints were complete and utter BS nonsense. As expected honestly. Allow me to quote someone I used to know on GameFAQs for this situation. 'Story doesn't matter. Gameplay does' that applies to this game TO A T. He used this to describe Final Fantasy X-2, another game most people complain and hate on. This applies to this game too. Is the story bad? Sure. Though it got REALLY damn good around endgame IMO. Are the backgrounds and environments bad and PS2 like? Yeah. BUT EVERYTHING ELSE LOOKED AMAZING. Basically what I'm trying to say... is what I said at the start. All of the whiny baby complaints were complete and utter BS nonsense. THIS WAS THE MOST FUN I'VE HAD WITH A POKEMON GAME SINCE PROBABLY X/Y. It was SO MUCH BETTER than Alola/Gen 7 it just wasn't even close for me at all.

But... you know... what the hell do I know? ?

• Like 4

So I got around to finally playing my switch again after not touching it in a long time and have beaten both Fire Emblem the 3 houses and shining resonance.

Really enjoyed fire emblem, except for the large amount of slowdown at the church when there were a lot of npcs there. Ended up going with the claude route, don't remember the house name.

Shining resonance was not very enjoyable though, it got to the point where I was forcing myself to finish the game

• Like 1

@SelectiveGamer, I totally agree with Pokemon SW/SH. I think there could've been some improvement, but I absolutely love the Pokemon models in the game, the new dynomax mechanics, max raids, the personal customization, online play, and the open feel to the game overall.

I think people focus too much on the negative and don't want to acknowledge the positives.

So, last week I got the 100% on Paper Mario, since I had a blast with the game and honestly wanted to complete it. The game is gorgeous honestly, compelling story, full of humour, varied scenarios, a lot of imaginative encounters and boss fights, I think anyone on the fence should buy it, since I think they will enjoy it.

The combat may get a bit repetitive towards the end, and seems pretty basic, and annoying at times (since is puzzle based), I would've loved a more deep and rpg-like system but it works fine, sometimes they make a twist and it's enjoyable. Also not fan of breakable weapons, I would've rather get a powering up weapons system. This being my only downside, I would gladly give it a solid 8,8+.

As if it's worth to 100% it, I would say not materially, but yes if your soul wants it. It's a bit tricky on some challenges but most can be made easier except the boat one. You get a gold star on your savefile, a few additional dialogues, toads will fill the museum and you get a new ending scene (true ending), though it's nothing out of the mind. Here are some screenshots.

0pEWxrH.jpg

1ubKlLC.jpg

27tD8db.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Alright... to be completely honest... that didn't take as long as I was king of hoping/thinking it would. Oh well I guess. I finished my Galar adventure last night and have completed Pokemon Sword & Isle of Armor to my liking.

Here are my final thoughts about it. Most people probably won't like how I feel about it but I literally don't care at all.

9/10. All of the whiny baby complaints were complete and utter BS nonsense. As expected honestly. Allow me to quote someone I used to know on GameFAQs for this situation. 'Story doesn't matter. Gameplay does' that applies to this game TO A T. He used this to describe Final Fantasy X-2, another game most people complain and hate on. This applies to this game too. Is the story bad? Sure. Though it got REALLY damn good around endgame IMO. Are the backgrounds and environments bad and PS2 like? Yeah. BUT EVERYTHING ELSE LOOKED AMAZING. Basically what I'm trying to say... is what I said at the start. All of the whiny baby complaints were complete and utter BS nonsense. THIS WAS THE MOST FUN I'VE HAD WITH A POKEMON GAME SINCE PROBABLY X/Y. It was SO MUCH BETTER than Alola/Gen 7 it just wasn't even close for me at all.

But... you know... what the hell do I know? 1f644.png

I haven't gotten far enough in Pokemon Sword to have too stern of an opinion, and I will say the game looks great, but the core gameplay really hasn't evolved much since my time on the OG Gameboy and Pokemon Blue 20+ years ago.  At least not that I can tell in the first 5 hours or so.  There are some new modes and online functionality I haven't gotten to yet I guess, but in general.  Not that I expect it to change too dramatically but it'd be nice if the battles were a little more animated/lively at least.

I'll probably go back to it eventually, but it kinda dropped down my gaming priority list a bit.

Edited by Dreakon13

I got a Switch Lite for Christmas and I play it more than you might think. I like how it mixes old and new very well. The game I have the highest number of hours is Fire Emblem Three Houses (400+ Hours). Other games I enjoy are Clubhouse Games, Dragon Quest 1-3 (sold digitally and separately), GRID Autosport (the PS3/XB360 game from 2013 ported to switch last year) and the NES and SNES Classics Suite, among others. 

Speaking of retro revisited, here is a trailer for Collection of SaGa: Final Fantasy Legend. Coming December 15th and just 20 USD, I'm excited to relive 3 Game Boy games that defined my childhood (obscure as they are). I don't know how popular they will be but I'd figure I would share all the same.

• Like 1

I'm old, evidenced by the fact that I played NES games in my room during its heyday. While the problem of "Too many games, not enough time" is felt much more once you can afford to purchase your own games and don't need to wait for your birthday and Xmas, it's truly been a problem for my entire gaming life.

StarTropics was a game I really wanted to play when I read about it in Nintendo Power (see how old I am?), but alas, it never happened. Until now, that is, with the NES app on my Switch. I started playing it about a week ago and you know what? It's still a pretty damn good game. Some 8-bit era games don't hold up well over time, but I'm having a blast with StarTropics. Plus, it's the first time I can think of that I've ever killed enemies by flinging a yo-yo in their face, so it has that going for it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iFraaN97 said:

Nintendo saved the year, I still can't believe the rumors were real :wub:

Glad to see it ! Hope to see the same with more Zelda games too !

But man what a lazy way to give us those games ... no remaster with new graphics ? What a shame :(