Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

I gave Super Smash Bros. for Wii U a go again after some years. Somehow I still can't get into the game. The game mechanics are so different from other fighting games and I have difficulty grasping the systems. Tried the board game mode for a while and a few times the CPU players annihilated me in a split second, when I was still trying to see where my character was on the screen. Maybe I'm just getting old(er). 

On the Switch side of life, I'm currently playing AI: The Somnium Files and it's even better than I anticipated. Gripping story with great art style and there's Japanese audio too. I like how there's some humor despite the dark tone of the game.

• Like 1

Among Us is now available on Switch. This makes it easier to access/play for me because for whatever reason my laptop doesn't like it when I play it on it for a long time and it likes to shut off on its own.

I tried it out a little too. No pets, no skins, and not as many hats. Some tasks are easier and some are harder. So right now I can't tell if it's better or worse than PC. I'd have to try it with an actual group I guess.

So my FC is in the FC thread. If you want me to participate in a group with you... either contact me on Discord or PM here on the forums.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Among Us is now available on Switch. This makes it easier to access/play for me because for whatever reason my laptop doesn't like it when I play it on it for a long time and it likes to shut off on its own.

I tried it out a little too. No pets, no skins, and not as many hats. Some tasks are easier and some are harder. So right now I can't tell if it's better or worse than PC. I'd have to try it with an actual group I guess.

So my FC is in the FC thread. If you want me to participate in a group with you... either contact me on Discord or PM here on the forums.

Can you play with people on mobile or PC or only others on switch?

• 2 weeks later...

What have you all been up to this holiday?
I got Bayonetta 2 for Switch and some Mario 35th anniversary shirts for Christmas.
Visited my parents on Boxing day and they still had my Nintendo 64 and my N64 games. Took them home with me and the console still works flawlessly after 20+ years! Fired up Blast Corps with my husband right away. I had been stuck in a level since the 90s, having no idea what I was supposed to do - but now thanks to some guides the game is finally beaten! Also took Nintendo Game & Watch Squish with me but haven't had time to get batteries for it to see if it still works. 

I also found my old "Nintendo notebooks" I had created in scrapbook style when I was a kid. They had tips and secrets for NES games, reviews clipped from magazines and I had even written some sort of guides for games in Finnish. There was a list of games I've beaten, which is kind of funny as I still enjoy keeping track of games I've beaten. I'll probably take photos of the notebooks at some point so you can all laugh at me having written down games' names such as "Antipacition", "Cremlins II" and "Chostbusters II"... 

Nintendo sent me a nice Nintendo Switch Year in Review infographic. I'm a bit surprised I had racked up over 500 hours of play time on Switch as I've spent a lot of time playing on PC and 3DS this year. 

ab751a801f4c39bfcbfa699b43d459daf96745ee

b7406fedbf8db0e8082e8cb0b09c4e750894c2b2

b98dc79cf0b77bc4d41f61f2f088626fd5e50003

14ee41ee69618fac3f326555e188d20ad3536b5b

How was your year with Switch and what are you looking forward to in 2021?

• Like 1

I finally got Octopath Traveler which currently has a 50% off sale.

Pretty excited about that one, I mostly play my Switch docked but I’m considering playing this one in handheld.

@Eyjabria I tried to check my stats on the website a few days ago but it looks like it’s not available in Europe :/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

What have you all been up to this holiday?

How was your year with Switch and what are you looking forward to in 2021?

I got Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening for my birthday (December 20th) and the game is absolutely amazing. There's so many references to other Nintendo franchises and the puzzles and dungeons are so much fun. I have noticed a few hiccups in handheld mode, but overall, it's been great fun.

I also participated in a pokemon tournament over the weekend for fun (no prizes) and got 249th out of 900-ish players. I went 6-2 and probably could've done better if I played more, but oh well. Overall, just happy to have a winning record (for once) and my team was definitely suboptimal.

As for next year, I'm looking forward to hearing more about what Gamefreak has in store for the pokemon anniversary and what is going to happen with the LoZ anniversary. Personally, I think next year would be a complete win if we can a Metroid Prime remaster and Breath of the Wild 2. However, I wouldn't mind a Splatoon 3 or N64 games being added to the NSO collection.

I think we'll get a few surprises regardless... I'm just not sure what to expect. ?

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, iFraaN97 said:

I finally got Octopath Traveler which currently has a 50% off sale.

Pretty excited about that one, I mostly play my Switch docked but I’m considering playing this one in handheld.

@Eyjabria I tried to check my stats on the website a few days ago but it looks like it’s not available in Europe :/

I hope you'll enjoy Octopath Traveler. I've played it 130+ hours myself (fully handheld) and I'm planning to go after the real final boss again, in hopes of not getting mauled at first phase this time. 

I heard they only send the stats via email newsletter for us Europeans. Might have something to do with GDPR. It's a shame really, as I'd love to see this kind of stats somewhere. I'm still holding out hope for a proper activity log on Switch where we could properly see our most played titles and play hours. 

3 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I got Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening for my birthday (December 20th) and the game is absolutely amazing. There's so many references to other Nintendo franchises and the puzzles and dungeons are so much fun. I have noticed a few hiccups in handheld mode, but overall, it's been great fun.

I also participated in a pokemon tournament over the weekend for fun (no prizes) and got 249th out of 900-ish players. I went 6-2 and probably could've done better if I played more, but oh well.

As for next year, I'm looking forward to hearing more about what Gamefreak has in store for the pokemon anniversary and what is going to happen with the LoZ anniversary. Personally, I think next year would be a complete win if we can a Metroid Prime remaster and Breath of the Wild 2. However, I wouldn't mind a Splatoon 3 or N64 games being added to the NSO collection.

I think we'll get a few surprises regardless... I'm just not sure what to expect. 1f605.png

Link's Awakening was a nice game. I also remember liking the references to other franchises. Were they in the original game too? I played the whole game docked and remember seeing occasional frame drops but nothing that would have bothered me. 

Grats on placing so high in the tournament! I once took part in an online tournament in Black 2 / White 2 era I think. I remember my Eelektross was beating up someone's top-tier cookie cutter team and then he/she rage quit before I won. Other than that I didn't do very well. 

Many anniversaries coming next year, I think Project Zero (Fatal Frame) anniversary too? Would be nice to get a new Project Zero for Switch or a remake of the first two games (never finished them on PS2). Never played any Metroid Prime games and would be interested in trying them out. Wouldn't turn down a new 2D Metroid either. For Pokémon anniversary there's Pokémon Snap coming up, maybe a new game in the main series too. I'm ashamed to admit I still haven't even played the first Breath of the Wild so I guess I'd be in for some cool anniversary clothing or something at least.
The online subscription requirement killed Splatoon 2 for me even though I had a good time with the game. Maybe I'll cough up the sub cost if Splatoon 3 has the Splash-o-matic from Splatoon 1 or something similar with suction bombs.

Edited by Eyjabria
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2020 at 7:58 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

There are rumors about a 3D collection for LoZ and that the 3 games would be OoT, Windwaker, and Twilight Princess (to match the N64, GC, and Wii choices of the Mario collection) or that it would be 3 games from one time line, but at this point it's all speculation.

While I'm hoping for a 3D Zelda collection next year myself, I really hope that they don't exclude Majora's Mask like these rumors have been implying.

Majora's Mask is my favorite game in the franchise, and I'm still annoyed at Nintendo for excluding Super Mario Galaxy 2 from 3D All-Stars and charging people $60 for it.

Here's hoping that they don't release a half-baked Zelda collection like they did with Mario, and that they don't try to force that limited time baloney onto everyone either.

I'm also hoping that they go with the remakes over the original releases for all of them, if only because a lot of quality of life improvements were made in them.
(Something the Mario games never quite got; Super Mario 64 DS doesn't count, in my opinion, due to how radically different it was in some ways from the original)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

While I'm hoping for a 3D Zelda collection next year myself, I really hope they don't exclude Majora's Mask like these rumors imply.

Majora's Mask is my favorite game in the franchise, and I'm still annoyed at Nintendo for excluding Super Mario Galaxy 2 from 3D All-Stars and charging $60 for the latter despite that.

Here's hoping they don't half-ass the Zelda collection like they did with 3D All-Stars, and that they don't try to force that limited time BS on everyone either.
(I'm also hoping they go with the remakes rather the original releases for all of the games, if only because they made a lot of quality of life improvements and the Mario games never quite got that)

I heard it'll likely be OoT, Windwaker, and Twilight Princess to match the one per console (N64, GC, Wii) like the Mario Collection, but we'll see what happens.

If they are going to do simple ports, I'd like to see these 3 games and then just see MM get a whole remake altogether. I think MM would benefit the most from it since it has such a cult following and could draw more people in.

After seeing Link's Awakening remade though, I'd like to see other top-down LoZ games remade like Minish Cap (criminally underrated imo), Oracle of Ages, etc. I think there's a good market for remaking a lot of these older games with updated visuals and new added features so I wouldn't be surprised to see more of it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I heard it'll likely be OoT, Windwaker, and Twilight Princess to match the one per console (N64, GC, Wii) like the Mario Collection, but we'll see what happens.

If they are going to do simple ports, I'd like to see these 3 games and then just see MM get a whole remake altogether. I think MM would benefit the most from it since it has such a cult following and could draw more people in.

After seeing Link's Awakening remade though, I'd like to see other top-down LoZ games remade like Minish Cap (criminally underrated imo), Oracle of Ages, etc. I think there's a good market for remaking a lot of these older games with updated visuals and new added features so I wouldn't be surprised to see more of it.

I've heard that as well, although I think people are only assuming that because Nintendo handled Mario's anniversary that way.

(Which I don't think necessarily proves anything, as people are just making the baseless assumption that both franchises will handle their anniversaries exactly the same)

Plus, Twilight Princess was also on GameCube. Granted it was released on that console after the Wii version was released, but the former was in development first.

(And, IIRC, even ran on the same engine as The Wind Waker despite the near polar opposite art directions and styles the two games have) 

Neither of these points outright rule out Nintendo treating it as a Wii game if they were to handle a Zelda collection the same way they did Mario's, but it'd still be silly to me.

Majora's Mask already had a remake only about five years ago on the 3DS, so I don't think it needs another one anytime soon per se.

do think that they made some more "controversial" changes in its remake compared to the others, but I feel they could still fix those for a port/remaster of said remake.
(If they actually put in any meaningful effort into this hypothetical Zelda collection unlike 3D All-Stars)

The Minish Cap is great, so I'd love to see a remake of it or some of the other 2D, top-down Zelda games.

(Or, hell, I'd even love to see a completely new top-down game every now and then)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zephrese said:

I've heard that as well, although I think people are only assuming that because Nintendo handled Mario's anniversary that way.

(Which I don't think necessarily proves anything, as people are just making the baseless assumption that both franchises will handle their anniversaries exactly the same)

Plus, Twilight Princess was also on GameCube. Granted it was released on that console after the Wii version was released, but the former was in development first.

(And, IIRC, even ran on the same engine as The Wind Waker despite the near polar opposite art directions and styles the two games have) 

Neither of these points outright rule out Nintendo treating it as a Wii game if they were to handle a Zelda collection the same way they did Mario's, but it'd still be silly to me.

Majora's Mask already had a remake only about five years ago on the 3DS, so I don't think it needs another one anytime soon per se.

do think that they made some more "controversial" changes in its remake compared to the others, but I feel they could still fix those for a port/remaster of said remake.
(If they actually put in any meaningful effort into this hypothetical Zelda collection unlike 3D All-Stars)

I do agree. It's all speculation at this point. We can't really hang our hats on anything solid.

I just call for a remake because the 3DS one wasn't really a true remake for me. They just updated the controls and a few of the trickier game mechanics (time traveling in particular), but the visuals were practically untouched other than facial features and a bit of polishing here or there.

Maybe you are right though. They probably could get away with just updating the most recent one and improve upon it, but I can't help but to wonder what the potential is for some of these classic polygon-esk, N64 games would play like or look like with modern controls and graphics since some of these would be pretty high my list of favorite games of all time. 

I personally thought the Mario All-Star collection was okay, but they left a lot of potential on the table imo. I wish they'd added extra features to each game like the Mario 64 DS version, but to all 3 with more levels, characters, features, etc. NOW THAT was how a Mario port/remake should be done.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I do agree. It's all speculation at this point. We can't really hang our hats on anything solid.

I just call for a remake because the 3DS one wasn't really a true remake for me. They just updated the controls and a few of the trickier game mechanics (time traveling in particular), but the visuals were practically untouched other than facial features and a bit of polishing here or there.

Maybe you are right though. They probably could get away with just updating the most recent one and improve upon it, but I can't help but to wonder what the potential is for some of these classic polygon-esk, N64 games would play like or look like with modern controls and graphics since some of these would be some of my favorite games of all time. 

I personally thought the Mario All-Star collection was okay, but they left a lot of potential on the table imo. I wish they'd added extra features to each game like the Mario 64 DS version, but to all 3 with more levels, characters, features, etc. NOW THAT was how a Mario port/remake should be done.

The visuals were pretty touched up in the 3DS remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, actually, at least as much as they could be on a handheld anyways.

They didn't just polish everything, port the game, and call it a day, as they literally redid the visuals completely.
(On top of making numerous other changes and quality of life improvements to both games)

They'd obviously need to touch them up a bit further for them to look good on screens with higher resolutions, but they were still remakes all the same.

They likely wouldn't require too much of an improvement when compared to their original N64 counterparts, at least.

(Maybe you're confusing the term remake with reimagining? I don't know, it's all rather semantical more than anything despite the distinction between the two in all fairness lol)

That said, I'd definitely like to see remakes of more N64 games like the two Banjo-Kazooie titles, a less monotonous and more streamlined Donkey Kong 64, etc.
Hell, I'd even love to see a remake of Super Mario 64 in Odyssey's engine despite the fact that it's already been remade once before for the DS.

3D All-Stars is more than serviceable of a collection in of itself, but it definitely had the potential to be better and more worthy of its $60 price tag.
Added features would have been nice, and - while added content might have been asking for a bit too much - it still would have been very welcome.
(And made the asking price more worth it :P)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

The visuals were pretty touched up in the 3DS remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, actually, at least as much as they could be on a handheld anyways.

They didn't just polish everything, port the game, and call it a day, as they literally redid the visuals completely.

I didn't know that actually rebuilt it from the ground up, but I guess I couldn't really tell because of the limitations of the 3DS. I did play both the original and the remake and graphically I couldn't tell a huge difference between the N64 version and the 3DS version other than the facial features on the characters and texture smoothing. But then again, it'd been years since I played the original.

Anyways, I'm 100% on board with N64 remakes. Banjo and Kazooie would be close to the top of my list (hell, I'd take simple ports of the game), but Rare is owned by MS so it'd more likely be an XBOX exclusive.

I wouldn't mind seeing old Kirby games being remade either. I think Nintendo has a lot of room to play with if they wanted to go back to remaking older games. We just have to hope they pick the right ones. ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I didn't know that actually rebuilt it from the ground up, but I guess I couldn't really tell because of the limitations of the 3DS. I did play both the original and the remake and graphically I couldn't tell a huge difference between the N64 version and the 3DS version other than the facial features on the characters and texture smoothing. But then again, it'd been years since I played the original.

Anyways, I'm 100% on board with N64 remakes. Banjo and Kazooie would be close to the top of my list (hell, I'd take simple ports of the game), but Rare is owned by MS so it'd more likely be an XBOX exclusive.

I wouldn't mind seeing old Kirby games being remade either. I think Nintendo has a lot of room to play with if they wanted to go back to remaking older games. We just have to hope they pick the right ones. 1f605.png

I think they still used the originals as a base for model rigging, animations, geometry, and stuff like that.
But otherwise they redid the visuals quite a bit, and added a lot more detail to existing things to make everything look finer and more polished.

(The art direction of both remakes kind of looks like a more colorful Twilight Princess to me, ngl)

I'd also be fine with a Rare Replay port, or just ports of the original Banjo-Kazooie games in general if remakes are asking for too much.

It is true that Microsoft owns Rare, thus making it unlikely for that to happen. But then again they've ported both Ori games, and I'm pretty sure they own those too.

(That, and Banjo being in Smash at least gives me some hope that we'll get something from the series on the Switch in the future)

They've already made some pretty good remakes in recent years, but they definitely have a lot more great games to choose from that could make for great remakes.
(Not to mention that they have so many great franchises under their belt to choose games from)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

Really excited for the upcoming anniversary of Pokemon and LoZ although the Mario anniversary was quite a bit of disappointment for me. I have been replaying all Pokemon games on my Gameboy Sp and 3DS as well as the remakes of Zelda. Would also love to see some titles on the 3Ds on the Switch like a Bravely Default bundle to celebrate Bravely Default 2!

Lately I have been into more games like farming, life sim, cooking and decorating much more on my switch than on the PS due to loving the comfort on having in handheld during this cold weather. ? 

• Like 3

Nintendo of Japan had apparently just recently listed Blast Corps (strange coincidence as I just finished the original, are they spying on me?) and Banjo Kazooie for Wii U Virtual Console release. If you're into N64 titles, Wii U has quite many of them available via eShop already. I'm personally planning on getting Paper Mario on Wii U VC (9,99 €) sometime soon as N64 physical copies in good condition are difficult to come by at a reasonable price. 
Then there's Zelda Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD available on Wii U as well.

Oh, and the Wii U Crunchyroll app skips all ads! No more "don't buy rhino horn" ads interrupting anime. :D

Edited by Eyjabria

Honestly, if the Switch had the VC like the Wii U, I'd probably have already sold off the old N64. I'd definitely take games like Banjo and Kazooie (both 1 and 2), 007 GoldenEye,  Perfect Dark, Paper Mario, Mario Party, Star Fox 64, Kirby, Conker, Pokemon Stadium, etc. for $10 a pop. 

Unfortunately, we'll probably get them through NSO so I'll have to keep paying to play them. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Honestly, if the Switch had the VC like the Wii U, I'd probably have already sold off the old N64. I'd definitely take games like Banjo and Kazooie (both 1 and 2), 007 GoldenEye,  Perfect Dark, Paper Mario, Mario Party, Star Fox 64, Kirby, Conker, Pokemon Stadium, etc. for $10 a pop. 

Unfortunately, we'll probably get them through NSO so I'll have to keep paying to play them. 

I'm not expecting much when it comes to NSO, given the whole thing being a big letdown, but here's hoping something good comes out of it. Despite its flaws I really loved the Wii U's eShop and nowadays I keep my Wii U as a VC machine since I've bought tons of GBA and Wii games that I missed out on. We need an Advance Wars Collection...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Nintendo of Japan had apparently just recently listed Blast Corps (strange coincidence as I just finished the original, are they spying on me?) and Banjo Kazooie for Wii U Virtual Console release.

They were removed from the store today apparently. It was a (dare I say it?) Rare mistake by Nintendo. One that has pretty much turned the Nintendo community on their head speculating a switch release in the very near future.

I doubt as much, but I could see them making their way onto the console at some point. As @zephrese mentioned earlier, there is some hope with the inclusion of Smash Bros. and Nintendo has had good relationships with Microsoft recently too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

They were removed from the store today apparently. It was a (dare I say it?) Rare mistake by Nintendo. One that has pretty much turned the Nintendo community on their head speculating a switch release in the very near future.

I doubt as much, but I could see them making their way onto the console at some point. As @zephrese mentioned earlier, there is some hope with the inclusion of Smash Bros. and Nintendo has had good relationships with Microsoft recently too.

Ah, damn. What a weird mistake to make though. Hmm...

Can anyone recoomend a switch game to me that is nice to play in short sessions? I often sit there and think about what i should play next and like to have something That i can play while thinking

on ps4 it was resogun und psvita i had lumines

i would be really in the mood for somethinglike that
Fast gane i can get into fast, doesnt need any story or curscenes or all that stuff but some kind of challange would be nice

if that matters i purely play in handheld mode

my dock is still in its packaging

24 minutes ago, Ich1994-1994 said:

Can anyone recoomend a switch game to me that is nice to play in short sessions? I often sit there and think about what i should play next and like to have something That i can play while thinking

on ps4 it was resogun und psvita i had lumines

i would be really in the mood for somethinglike that
Fast gane i can get into fast, doesnt need any story or curscenes or all that stuff but some kind of challange would be nice

if that matters i purely play in handheld mode

my dock is still in its packaging

Maybe Tetris? Or a driving game, Fast RMX for example (that’s the first switch game I bought, so there are probably more options by now)