Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

16 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I first tried to get into Monster Hunter with 3 Ultimate back on the Wii U. It was fun to play with a friend but it just didn't grab me. I tried again a couple of times on the 3DS and it never clicked. To be fair, I had the same issue with Playstation monster hunting games, so I think the genre isn't for me. I'm happy that Switch is finally getting a native MH game though for the fans.

I decided to preorder Super Mario 3D World even though I finished the Wii U version years ago (I didn't get close to 100% completion though). It's a great game and anybody experiencing it for the first time is in for a fun time. My daughter has played a bit of the Wii U version and she loves the cat suit. I think the Switch version will make it more accessible for us for family gaming. The Bowser's Fury trailer looked cool also.

I've always found the Monster Hunter games' aesthetics and the light-hearted attitude fascinating. Hearing about people playing the games for thousands of hours and seeing praise has led me to the conclusion that they are probably pretty good and satisfying games. So I've occasionally tried getting into the series by playing demos on 3DS, Switch and PS4 and I've also played the spinoff Monster Hunter Stories on 3DS which I loved. But the main series games never clicked with me either. I hear the demos don't do the games justice, are mostly aimed at series veterans and only show a tiny sliver of their content.
Been on the verge of buying MH Generations either on 3DS or Switch as I'm wondering if hunting the monsters would feel somehow less cruel if I played as a Felyne instead of a human hunter. 

Now the Monster Hunter Rise demo somehow pushed me over the treshold and I'm considering getting the game and seeing what it's really about. 

Super Mario 3D World was a very good game and I'm not even into platformers. I'd recommend it to anyone who might be interested. The photo mode and extra content in the Switch port look tempting but I'll probably hold off on buying it. I still have Super Mario Galaxy to play too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

I've always found the Monster Hunter games' aesthetics and the light-hearted attitude fascinating. Hearing about people playing the games for thousands of hours and seeing praise has led me to the conclusion that they are probably pretty good and satisfying games. So I've occasionally tried getting into the series by playing demos on 3DS, Switch and PS4 and I've also played the spinoff Monster Hunter Stories on 3DS which I loved. But the main series games never clicked with me either. I hear the demos don't do the games justice, are mostly aimed at series veterans and only show a tiny sliver of their content.
Been on the verge of buying MH Generations either on 3DS or Switch as I'm wondering if hunting the monsters would feel somehow less cruel if I played as a Felyne instead of a human hunter. 

Now the Monster Hunter Rise demo somehow pushed me over the treshold and I'm considering getting the game and seeing what it's really about. 

Super Mario 3D World was a very good game and I'm not even into platformers. I'd recommend it to anyone who might be interested. The photo mode and extra content in the Switch port look tempting but I'll probably hold off on buying it. I still have Super Mario Galaxy to play too.

Yeah, demos often are not a really accurate indicator of the full games. I have played the full versions of MH3U, MH4, and I think the demo of Generations. So I know I've given the series a pretty decent chance. I definitely understand the "cruelty" factor. I live in fairly rural America where hunting "for sport" is commonplace and it's always been a completely alien concept to me. I don't think that particular element was what turned me off to the games though, I think it was a combination of things but mainly the core gameplay. I do actually like the aesthetics and light-hearted nature of the series. But I don't like the pattern of hunting down a big monster, fighting it off with no "boss healthbar", etc. It's just not fun for me. I tried some other hunter games, mostly on Vita. Soul Sacrifice, God Eater, probably another I'm forgetting. I got pretty far in some of them but each time I ended up dropping the game and never looking back.

Obviously the MH series has a big cult following. Souls games and Pokemon both have very passionate fans who play them for thousands of hours, but neither of those series ever clicked for me either (of the three I'd say Pokemon came the closest to pulling me in though).

Galaxy is a very cool game. I have the Switch version but I played through it for the first time on Wii U fairly recently. I do want to eventually try the Switch version and see how it plays without the Wiimote. I didn't have too much trouble with the original controls but I never mastered the spring suit (I don't just mean it bouncing around, the timing of the jumps never worked very well for me). I wonder if it controls better on Switch.

I hope we eventually get Galaxy 2 on Switch also. I don't feel that Nintendo "owed it to fans" to include it in 3D All-Stars and I don't mind buying it separately. I wouldn't want to pay $60 without any major updates or new levels, but I guess it was $60 when it was a new game. :)

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Not sure if there is any progress that could carry over. You pick a weapon class (a preset character, preset armor set and preset buddies) and go on a quest. The demo is set in one area and it has 2 tutorials + 2 hunting quests, includes local and online multiplayer possibility. Looked it up and Capcom says "you will not be able to transfer your save data to the main game" but it seems they will offer a bonus in the full game for players with demo save data. (https://www.monsterhunter.com/rise/us/topics/demo/)

If you have time and interest, it's a good opportunity to check out the demo prior to release to get a feel of what the hunting gameplay is like.

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to try it out then as it may be worth it. Never played a MH game, but I've always been interested in them.

• Like 1

I was always waiting it seems to get a switch and it seems I always put it off for some reason? But its seems thanks to the PS5 I finally got one! Just trying to win a battle that I kn ew it was a 0.000 chance of getting a PS5 ... I just bought a switch and glad I did its been a awesome console! Its my first nin since my NES and my SNES. So, its been a while since I jumped back in the Nintendo pool. And honestly not really worried about getting a PS5 at the moment :)  Oh! Just got Inmost! Loving it! Seems switch has all the games I loved as a kid BUNCH of platformers and pixel 2d platformers :)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

I was always waiting it seems to get a switch and it seems I always put it off for some reason? But its seems thanks to the PS5 I finally got one! Just trying to win a battle that I kn ew it was a 0.000 chance of getting a PS5 ... I just bought a switch and glad I did its been a awesome console! Its my first nin since my NES and my SNES. So, its been a while since I jumped back in the Nintendo pool. And honestly not really worried about getting a PS5 at the moment :)  Oh! Just got Inmost! Loving it! Seems switch has all the games I loved as a kid BUNCH of platformers and pixel 2d platformers :)

Welcome to the Switch owners' club! Good to hear you've liked the console. Switch has a huge library of games, there's something for everyone and there's a good selection of quality exclusives.

• Like 3

I fell victim to the dreaded Joy-Con drift too. >_>

Just under 10 months of use, probably under 1000 hours of play time and the left Joy-Con of my Animal Crossing limited edition Switch started drifting to left. The right stick seemed like it's going to start drifting soon too based on how it looked like in the stick calibration (the indicator didn't stay completely still and was "stuttering" when I wasn't touching the stick). Took them to the retailer and they'll send them to the importer for fixing. Good thing they were still under warranty. I've used my ACNH Switch purely in handheld mode. 

Our launch Switch from 2017 is still fine but maybe the Joy-Con sticks haven't gotten that much use. On our docked launch console we use the Pro Controller a lot and use the Joy-Cons for games like Fitness Boxing and Ring Fit where you won't need the sticks that much.

8 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Just under 10 months of use, probably under 1000 hours of play time and the left Joy-Con of my Animal Crossing limited edition Switch started drifting to left. The right stick seemed like it's going to start drifting soon too based on how it looked like in the stick calibration (the indicator didn't stay completely still and was "stuttering" when I wasn't touching the stick). Took them to the retailer and they'll send them to the importer for fixing. Good thing they were still under warranty. I've used my ACNH Switch purely in handheld mode. 

Our launch Switch from 2017 is still fine but maybe the Joy-Con sticks haven't gotten that much use. On our docked launch console we use the Pro Controller a lot and use the Joy-Cons for games like Fitness Boxing and Ring Fit where you won't need the sticks that much.

I been using PS4 controller ..Only controller I like to be honest ..But that sucks it happens. When I get a PS5 I will use the PS5 controller..  Playing INMOST! Its awesome :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

It seems like it happens randomly on all of my Joy-cons (I have 3 pairs). I was one of those who originally thought the problem was probably overblown, but when it happens to you, it's frustrating.

That being said, I've seen problems on all my systems except the Xbox One, which I almost never play.

Wii U: I have the official Nintendo battery packs for my Wiimotes and one of them stopped charging. One other doesn't hold a good charge, but the other 2 still charge and work well. Gamepad and Pro controller still work well.

PS3: I have a few controllers with buttons that like to stick

PS4: One of my controllers seemed to be drifting, and I've had a few thumb sticks wear down.

Switch: Several Joy-cons experience drift.

Vita: Launch model has weird battery issues. It frequently reports the battery is almost dead and when I check it a few minutes later it shows almost full. It will drain suddenly but it's always retained enough standby power to resume my current game session once I charge it again. Revised model has drifting sticks so I stopped using it.

I recently picked up one of the 8bitdo controllers (this is the one that looks like a SNES controller but with analog sticks and two sets of triggers). It's cool because it is compatible with Switch and PC. I don't think it has rumble but it's a nice extra multiplayer controller for when I'm playing with my daughter.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 3:23 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

There are A LOT of rumors and rumblings going around... that around the end of next month for the Pokemon 25th anniversary and/or Pokemon Day...

Diamond and Pearl remakes will be announced.

I just thought I should let everyone know.

I, for one, am SERIOUSLY hoping this is true. ?

I would put $100 on it if I was a betting man.. Katy Perry is part of the celebration and has songs called both Diamond and Pearl. Not to mention there has been insider links that's HEAVILY pointing to the remake the past few weeks. Not to mention, leaks as early as last year in August about concept art for a G-max Floatzel surfaced, but was never in SW/Sh which is a gen 4 pokemon.... All of it points towards a remake.

Speaking of Pokemon, for any online players, the next ruleset was announced 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyesports.gg/pokemon-vgc-series-8-rules-allow-one-restricted-legendary/amp/

After I finally made a series 7 team that could win, they switch it on me :P I like the 1 restricted legendary allowed. I already have a perfect IV Calyrex Shadow rider and Kyogre ready to go so hopefully I have some mons to build cohesive teams around it. I have some ideas around Regieleki, Comfey, and Kyogre and some ideas around Calyrex (Shadow rider), Togekiss, and Duraludon, but it's always soooo hard to predict what will work. The team I'm using now is super anti-meta (meaning it's specifically built to beat the most used pokemon) and I would have never thought it'd work if you told me otherwise before the start of the series.

On another note, I tried out Monster Hunter demo and I'm not sure if I'll get it or not. If it's strictly mission-based I probably will pass, but if there's more of an open world feel to it I might pick it up. Out of all the classes though, my favorite was probably the dual swords class. Probably because I had a Bloodborne approach to it and go in when I saw openings to deal some good damage. I think the problem with the demo though is that I literally had no clue how anything worked and even after playing 5-6 hours of it, I still feel a bit lost and I'm unsure if I am using any of the classes to it's full potential.

Anyways, I've dragged on a bit much. Maybe someone can fill me in on MH when it comes out.

• Like 2

On 19/01/2021 at 11:23 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

There are A LOT of rumors and rumblings going around... that around the end of next month for the Pokemon 25th anniversary and/or Pokemon Day...

Diamond and Pearl remakes will be announced.

I just thought I should let everyone know.

I, for one, am SERIOUSLY hoping this is true. 1f623.png

I'd welcome a Pokémon Diamond / Pearl remake. I have Diamond and Platinum but haven't played either of them yet. Husbando played Platinum and Diamond was a pre-owned copy. I didn't have the heart to start a new save when the previous owner had left his save on the Diamond cartridge. I only used the cartridge to transfer some previous gen legendaries to 5th gen games. 

14 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I would put $100 on it if I was a betting man.. Katy Perry is part of the celebration and has songs called both Diamond and Pearl. Not to mention there has been insider links that's HEAVILY pointing to the remake the past few weeks. Not to mention, leaks as early as last year in August about concept art for a G-max Floatzel surfaced, but was never in SW/Sh which is a gen 4 pokemon.... All of it points towards a remake.

Speaking of Pokemon, for any online players, the next ruleset was announced 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyesports.gg/pokemon-vgc-series-8-rules-allow-one-restricted-legendary/amp/

After I finally made a series 7 team that could win, they switch it on me :P I like the 1 restricted legendary allowed. I already have a perfect IV Calyrex Shadow rider and Kyogre ready to go so hopefully I have some mons to build cohesive teams around it. I have some ideas around Regieleki, Comfey, and Kyogre and some ideas around Calyrex (Shadow rider), Togekiss, and Duraludon, but it's always soooo hard to predict what will work. The team I'm using now is super anti-meta (meaning it's specifically built to beat the most used pokemon) and I would have never thought it'd work if you told me otherwise before the start of the series.

On another note, I tried out Monster Hunter demo and I'm not sure if I'll get it or not. If it's strictly mission-based I probably will pass, but if there's more of an open world feel to it I might pick it up. Out of all the classes though, my favorite was probably the dual swords class. Probably because I had a Bloodborne approach to it and go in when I saw openings to deal some good damage. I think the problem with the demo though is that I literally had no clue how anything worked and even after playing 5-6 hours of it, I still feel a bit lost and I'm unsure if I am using any of the classes to it's full potential.

Anyways, I've dragged on a bit much. Maybe someone can fill me in on MH when it comes out.

The Monster Hunter Rise demo was notoriously bad at teaching the basic controls. I'd suggest opening the Hunter's Notes from the game menus to check basic move lists and/or looking up a guide online.
I'd be interested in knowing more about the gameplay too since I haven't played any of the main series titles. I'd prefer free exploration in addition to timed hunting quests.

• Like 1

Got my Joy-Cons repaired and back to me in a week. It was super fast and now they work fine again. At least for now. 

Possible great news for Europeans suffering from drifting Joy-Cons: the European Consumer Organisation is asking Nintendo to repair affected Joy-Cons for free. 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/01/eu_calls_for_investigation_into_switch_joy-con_drift_following_more_than_25000_complaints

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who plays pokemon competitively (VGC), but I've been messing around with different teams on SW/SH and I've been getting a lot of rage quits on the casual ladder testing this team...

Kyogre -weakness policy

Hitmontop - eject button

Comfey - sitrus berry

Goodra - Assault Vest

Regieleki - light clay

Articuno (G) - Focus sash

Essentially, the team revolves around comfey and Goodra or Kyogre. Goodra is a tank and comfey can boost it's attack with giga drain since it has sap sipper as its ability. As for Kyogre, Comfey can self proc WP for it to sweep as the dynomaxed mon. Articuno is a good tailwind setter, but can also deal big damage especially if it's stats are dropped. Regieleki sets up screens and can self proc WP on Kyogre as well with volt switch. It's got some bulk to take some hits too. Lastly, Hitmontop is a good fake out/intimidator. I hate that Inceneroar is used so much, but I think Hitmontop is extremely useful in this format with wide guard and can be used instead.

I may switch out Articuno or Regieleki since I don't really bring them much, but I think I'm going to go into ranked matches before deciding. If I ever create a really successful team that gets me high on the ladder, I'll make a rental code and share, even if no one here uses it. Haha.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SelectiveGamer said:

To further my previous conversation/post...

The Pokemon 25th anny is this month I think?

So... I'm fully expecting a Pokemon specific Direct around the end of this month......

where hopefully D/P Remakes will be revealed. join me in the daily prayer. *does daily prayer at D/P Remakes shrine* 1f64f.png

February 27th is Pokemon Day. I'd expect an announcement then. ?

I'm very nearly done with Pokemon Let's Go Eevee. 13 pokemon to go in the Pokedex, minus Mew & Mewtwo (who is being difficult to catch, & I never use the Master Ball). Had to use my GO account to fill in the version exclusives, which was about the time I realized you couldn't breed pokemon in the daycare. I knew about the merge of GO's catching mechanic - which is fun in handheld mode - but that was disappointing. I like having my storage boxes lined numerically. & with one off pokemon like the starters, I had to bring in extra from GO.

Still, once I get that shiny charm I'll be shiny hunting on occasion. Between breaks of course from Sword, my next game to start.

Also, my Switch library has grown with its first additions.
Digimon Story CyberSleuth Complete Addition; played & earned the platinums for both on Vita, but I loved these games & will happily play them again on a bigger screen.
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate; I had a birthday coupon from GS, plus the monthly pro one, & it was there on the shelf. So I ended up getting both for about $40.
Not a bad start to the collection I'd say.

• Like 3

I want Johto remake's on Switch so badly I hope that's want they announce for the 25th anniversary. Really getting my hopes up because it won't happen, it's time for a Diamond and Pearl remake, which I'd also welcome ^^

I got Super Mario 3D World this morning, ordered it from Nintendo UK so it came with a cat Peach plushie and a steelcase which was a nice surprise, I didn't know the steelcase was included. 

DyTGh0Y.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Alantor32 said:

I got Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury today. So far, I am enjoying it. Now I need to play online with people who have the game.

I got it today too. Like most of the rest of the gaming world, I never owned a Wii U, so this is my first time playing it. The first two levels were great, but that's as far as I made it before my kids claimed the Switch to play more Minecraft.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

I got it today too. Like most of the rest of the gaming world, I never owned a Wii U, so this is my first time playing it. The first two levels were great, but that's as far as I made it before my kids claimed the Switch to play more Minecraft.

wii u is honestly still worth it today just for Xenoblade X

• Like 3

I got my switch about 6 months ago! Absolutely fallen in love with the console since then and have had the privilege to play so many amazing games I've missed out on over the last few years! So far, I've been through:

- Octopath Traveler - Excellent classic-style JRPG with gorgeous pixel art and an excellent implementation of the FF5 job system!

- Xenoblade Chronicles DE - A fabulous upgrade to my all-time favourite game!

- Fire Emblem Three Houses - Randomly picked up the first localized FE on the GBA when I was, like, 6/7 years old. Somehow, little me managed to make it through and fall in love with the game (and franchise ever since). 3H is absolutely the best the series has been since the Gamecube and Wii games, being a HUGE step up from the 3DS era.

- Fire Emblem Warriors and Hyrule Warriors AOC - Big warriors fan, and these two are absolutely some of the best Koei has put out in the last few years, especially compared to the mainline DW series post 2014.

- My partner got me Breath of the Wild for Christmas and it was my first 3d Zelda game. Excellent game! Much better than any open world game I've played on other consoles, though the DLC was surprisingly lame.

- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Far and away the worst game I've got on the Switch right now. It's not... horrible, but it's absolutely shocking how poor the characters, story, and dialogue are in this one. Combat is fine and the world is beautiful and fun enough to explore, but gosh I cannot believe this is the same team that brought us XC1 and the equally fabulous Xenoblade Chronicles X on the WIi U. I'd LOVE to see X get a nice remaster treatment for the switch. It could really use a broader audience!

Looking forward to many more wonderful experiences with the console, and it makes me happy to see so many people sharing such positive experiences too! ?

• Like 2