Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

I've always wondered why Nintendo didnt treat Smash Ultimate the same as how Capcom does Street Fighter V.

Capcom: SFV -> SFV:Arcade Edition(includes DLC pack 1 and 2) - > SFV Champion Edition (dlc pack 1,2, 3 and 4 + stages) -> season pass/DLC Pack 5 (you need to pay for)

Smash Bros Ultimate: base game. 80$CDN/60$USD. Never on sale. Single Character is 4$-8$, passes are i think 14? 

But i think Nintendo is just being greedy

On 6/27/2021 at 3:10 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I played and finished Super Metroid over the weekend. I didn't realize it was a available on the SNES classic collection and decided to give it a go.

I was really surprised how "modern" it felt and despite coming out 25 years ago, it aged well. The storyline is very interesting and the environments, art, boss battles, etc were all really cool and aesthetically pleasing. It makes me soooo hyped for Metroid Dread after playing it. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who is paying for the online services.

Super Metroid is one of my all time favorite games. Eclipsed only by Metroid Prime in the franchise.

Speaking of which, I hope Nintendo eventually releases the Prime trilogy on Switch.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
  • Like 2

I highly recommend that anyone who’s either a Monster Hunter fan or someone who has been looking for a Pokémon alternative to try out the demo for Monster Hunter Stories 2. I’m not going to go in depth about the demo because that would defeat the purpose of trying it out. What I will say though is that it’s clear from the visuals and the attention to detail in battles that unlike Game Freak, Capcom’s trying to make a masterpiece instead of a quick buck.

The only downside that I noticed is that the game has serious frame rate issues at certain points, which seems to be a common theme on the Switch. This game is pushing the hardware to it’s limits. It’s supposed to run at 60 FPS, but there’s points where it drops below 30. It would be better for his game to run at 30 since the frame rate drops would be less jarring. Frame rate isn’t a huge issue for a game like this though since it’s a turn based RPG.

Edited by whodeygamer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, whodeygamer said:

I highly recommend that anyone who’s either a Monster Hunter fan or someone who has been looking for a Pokémon alternative to try out the demo for Monster Hunter Stories 2. I’m not going to go in depth about the demo because that would defeat the purpose of trying it out. What I will say though is that it’s clear from the visuals and the attention to detail in battles that unlike Game Freak, Capcom’s trying to make a masterpiece instead of a quick buck.

The only downside that I noticed is that the game has serious frame rate issues at certain points, which seems to be a common theme on the Switch. This game is pushing the hardware to it’s limits. It’s supposed to run at 60 FPS, but there’s points where it drops below 30. It would be better for his game to run at 30 since the frame rate drops would be less jarring. Frame rate isn’t a huge issue for a game like this though since it’s a turn based RPG.

I haven't played the demo for Monster Hunter Stories 2 but I played the original on 3DS. It was a quality game with plenty of content and I expect the sequel to be on par. Based on my experience with the first game I'm getting a physical copy for Switch day one. 

Monster Hunter Stories pushed 3DS to its limits as well and at times it was a bit of a choppy ride when running or flying through the environments and textures on character models took a while to load when entering towns. Some performance issues didn't prevent me from enjoying the game for over 106 hours. I'm hoping to get Deviljho again or hoping I'll find a new favorite monstie. 

ae87a47e64830ebf79bafbbb96372ee3e603669b.jpg 4109d64d9df65ef345b7bddc272329ae3fe42bde.jpg

• Like 2

Recently finished Samus Returns, Fusion, and Zero Mission to 100% in anticipation for the release of Metroid: Dread. 

Really enjoyed all three thoroughly, although I have some issues with the latter two that hindered and dampened my experience with them a decent bit.

For example, Fusion's bosses deal way too much damage. (In addition to being annoying and repetitive due to having to fight a Core-X at the end of almost every boss fight)

Some of the shinespark puzzles that you have to do in both games in order to get certain collectibles are ridiculously complicated and poorly designed.
(Rather than being actually difficult or challenging in any meaningful way)

Other than that, I love all three games to death, so I'm even more pumped for Dread's release. ?

I'm currently playing Super, and although I agree that it's aged well for the most part, there are some areas that are rather archaic compared to its successors.

(i.e Missile doors requiring five missiles instead of one, different recharge stations for energy and ammo rather than having the two unified, jumping feels floaty and slow, etc.) 

All that said, it's still a great game, it's just a little jarring to go back to after playing Fusion and Zero Mission back-to-back recently. lol

21 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Apparently, porting Prime 3 due to the Wii's specific pointer controls would be extremely difficult and makes the port of the trilogy extremely unlikely. Here's an interview with a former Metroid dev who explains why it'd be incredibly hard to port a trilogy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/metroid-prime-trilogy-switch-port-unlikely/amp/

But hell, I'll still take the first two games! xD Honestly though, they fixed/updated the controls for Skyward Sword so we can't say it's completely impossible. I'm sure their editor tools weren't ideal either for porting Skyward Sword to switch.

I wouldn't put too much credence towards something a former developer said.

Skyward Sword HD alone proves it's possible, especially when that game required much more precise usage of motion controls.
(And more "advanced" technology - via Wii MotionPlus - as a result)

That, and they could still incorporate motion controls using the Joy-Cons as SS HD is also doing despite still offering a more "conventional", button-only control scheme.

I'm not entirely sure what the deal with the "coding" is, although I'm having a hard time believing that Nintendo would have that hard of a time as this guy is implying.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Zephrese said:

I wouldn't put too much credence towards something a former developer said.

Skyward Sword HD alone proves it's possible, especially when that game required much more precise usage of motion controls.
(And more "advanced" technology - via Wii MotionPlus - as a result)

That, and they could still incorporate motion controls using the Joy-Cons as SS HD is also doing despite still offering a more "conventional", button-only control scheme.

I'm not entirely sure what the deal with the "coding" is, although I'm having a hard time believing that Nintendo would have that hard of a time as this guy is implying.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned Skyward Sword. The fact that they did it for this game means it's definitely possible.

I think you have to give him at least a bit of credit for the fact that he worked on the prime trilogy and understands the coding specifically for that game. Maybe there's something in the coding that he knows would be difficult to update for the switch.

However, you are right that he doesn't know what the current situation is. Editing tools could be more advanced now and may be more feasible than he realizes. Hard to say. Regardless, not exactly the encouraging news you'd want to read. 

I mean, sure, but I wouldn't say it's really that discouraging either, even when coming from someone who once held a position like the one he did.

Only time will tell if Nintendo's willing to put the amount of effort required into a hypothetical port of Corruption if it's even just a tad complicated, I suppose.

(Which I'd say is a 50/50 chance given how inconsistent Nintendo can be when it comes to wanting people's money)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

On 04/07/2021 at 5:00 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Apparently, porting Prime 3 due to the Wii's specific pointer controls would be extremely difficult and makes the port of the trilogy extremely unlikely. Here's an interview with a former Metroid dev who explains why it'd be incredibly hard to port a trilogy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/metroid-prime-trilogy-switch-port-unlikely/amp/

But hell, I'll still take the first two games! xD Honestly though, they fixed/updated the controls for Skyward Sword so we can't say it's completely impossible. I'm sure their editor tools weren't ideal either for porting Skyward Sword to switch.

as long as pro is 100% good without some funky shenanigans i am good.

Unlike Mario Galaxy. I had a hard time starting that lol. Also why did they exclude Galaxy 2 i wonder...

im not huge on ports, they are what they are, but damn I want a Minish Cap, Oracle of Seasons/Ages remakes, Twilight Princess ported and some Golden Sun. 

it wont happen though. 

• Like 2

A remake of The Minish Cap, if done well, would make me so happy. 

Really hoping that they'll port The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD, alongside a few other older games in the Zelda series as well.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

as long as pro is 100% good without some funky shenanigans i am good.

Unlike Mario Galaxy. I had a hard time starting that lol. Also why did they exclude Galaxy 2 i wonder...

im not huge on ports, they are what they are, but damn I want a Minish Cap, Oracle of Seasons/Ages remakes, Twilight Princess ported and some Golden Sun. 

it wont happen though. 

I actually could see them remaking older games like minish cap, Oracles of Seasons, etc. in the Link's Awakening's style. It's a different team that worked on it than the one that works on BoTW, and the fact that Link's Awakening sold well show there's a market for them. But Nintendo always going to be weird. I still find it strange they chose Skyward Sword out of all games to port for the 35 year anniversary.

• Like 3

I personally hope that they don't reuse the artstyle from the Link's Awakening Nintendo Switch remake going forward.

It's cute, sure, but I just felt that it was... pushing it a little, for a lack of a better term.

I know the series has had numerous artstyles over the years, which is something that I really like, but I just wasn't really a fan of the way that remake looked specifically.

(At least as an artstyle used in a Zelda game, anyways) 

That said, I could kind of understand hypothetical remakes of the Oracle games using the same artstyle given that the originals reused assets from the original Link's Awakening.

But even then I'd prefer a new artstyle for them, or something more reminiscent of A Link Between Worlds. (Albeit prettier and HD, obviously)

A remake of The Minish Cap, on the other hand, should more or less look like a top-down version of The Wind Waker given that it was one of the "toon-styled" games.

(So think something like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, only better)

And nah, porting Skyward Sword makes a lot of sense due to the following:

• Since the original Wii version was released in 2011, this year is the game's 10th anniversary (And the 35th anniversary of the franchise overall)
  • Same thing happened for Twilight Princess, as it was released in 2006 during the franchise's 20th anniversary, and later got a remaster for its 10th/the series' 30th
  • Despite how divisive the game is, a lot of people wanted it to get ported and numerous people warmed up to it over time (Aonuma even hyped it up for a bit)
  • It seems like it'll somehow tie into Breath of The Wild's sequel, at least based on the recent footage for said game and the islands floating in the sky

With that all in mind, I will say that - while I still intend to get the remaster, as I still liked the original despite my numerous issues with it - the game is overpriced as hell.

That, and I was hoping for a remake or even a reimagining of sorts instead, but oh well. lmao

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

Releasing October 8th,

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) brings the versatility of the Nintendo Switch experience

with a new vibrant 7-inch OLED screen, a wide adjustable stand, and more.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Family/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model-/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model--2000984.html

Edited by ziggypossum
EDIT

32 minutes ago, HusKy said:

This is pretty underwhelming to be honest.

Only for people that blindly believe rumors. 
The LAN port is a win for me if it truly offers gigabit speeds.
The color scheme makes it perfect shelf companion for my PS5

• Like 1

The improved battery life could come in handy. Otherwise I don't see a need to upgrade into the OLED model at the moment. We already have 2 Switches and a Switch Lite, all still work perfectly. 

If they released a nice looking Metroid Dread or Animal Crossing edition (preferrably with a white console body), I'd probably get one. Those white Joy-Cons however could go on my shopping list if they're sold separately.

Hoping they've changed the materials in the Joy-Cons' sticks to ward off drift. Or maybe the new model release is to dodge the ongoing lawsuits about Joy-Con drift issues in Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite.

• Like 1

I'm glad they kept it simple.  Spent an assload on new consoles lately and a new and improved Switch would've been tough... as compelled as I might've been to get it.  I mostly play my Switch docked and my office is not in any kind of proximity to the router that'd make hardwiring with the ethernet port reasonable, so most of the improvements don't really apply to me anyways.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stan Lee said:

This new Switch won't be the be all, end all for the console. There'll surely be a "Pro" model sometime next year. 

I agree. People are acting as if because this new version has been announced, it means that we won't see a pro version down the line. The switch has only been around since March 2017. There's still time for it to expand.

I understand that it's behind in comparison to the current gen, but it's pretty clear that Nintendo is not trying to directly compete with Sony or Microsoft. They shouldn't feel pressured to release new tech... Especially since Nintendo switches were still the best selling console in 2020 and have had great numbers every single year since release.