Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Just now, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I saw this the other day. I'm very interested in it. Very cool to see old PS1 games coming to the switch (now let's see Klonoa, lol). Wonder if it'll get a physical release or how much it'll cost?

yeah i just saw it on youtube right before i posted. Im still bitter Grandia 1 and 2 was LRG only. Not even Play Asia has it. I like my physical copies. 

I remember hearing it costs more to put a game on a switch cart, than it is a disc. Which is why I've often wondered how switch gets classics like FF7,8,9, Saga Frontier, Legend of Mana all physical yet ps4 aside from FF8 in PAL(I think?) never got more than digital releases.

• Like 2

Lately, I've been playing a lot of Bravely Default 2 doing a no level up run. Essentially, I can level up my jobs, but I can't level up my characters so they are all at their default level when joining. This means that my health is low, stats are low, and good armor is too heavy to use.

Sounds hard, but I can still use all my abilities from my jobs, all jobs from my previous playthrough, and have several jobs mastered which can give me access to strong attacks, stat boosts, and passive abilities.

I am through the first 3 chapters and it's now starting to get difficult. My accuracy is low so I'm constantly missing attacks and had to change my builds to accomodate for getting 1-shot by attacks, moving slowly, missing attacks, etc. I'm still confident that I can get through this chapter as Beastmaster buffs help a lot for the low HP, but I have a feeling that Chapter 5 and 6 will be a challenge. Right now, my white mage/Beastmaster and Berserker has been carrying me this chapter, but it's catching up to me. 

Having fun regardless. Even though my options on what classes are viable are now narrowing to 7 or 8 classes.

• Like 2

Nintendo Direct will air tomorrow. Maybe this time they will have news about Sports Story or Bayonetta 3? Or some cool new announcements like Xenoblade Chronicles 3:)

Oh, and apparently a big sale starts in European eShop tomorrow as well.

Edited by Eyjabria
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, majob said:

Have to wonder how they're going to substitute the "put any disc in the console for a monster" gimmick

I read it'll be an internet-based search function based on a translated interview. Though, no one really knows.

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

Nintendo Direct will air tomorrow. Maybe this time they will have news about Sports Story or Bayonetta 3? Or some cool new announcements like Xenoblade Chronicles 3:)

Oh, and apparently a big sale starts in European eShop tomorrow as well.

Hoping for Bayo update, SMTV gameplay, and a surprise or two would be nice.

• Like 2

The only thing for certain about a Nintendo Direct is to expect the unexpected.

And to expect the "journalists" to guess... and get every guess wrong.

Still, it's always interesting... and surprising. Though I prefer to catch highlights afterwards. Long-winded speeches bore me. Go figure.

• Like 2

Triangle Strategy, Metroid Dread, Actraiser, and Voice of Cards all looked awesome and Rune Factory 5 has a release date. Not hyped for Bayonetta 3, but I know many are. However, for me, this was the highlight. :D 

Totally shameless about it.

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MidnightDragon said:

Triangle Strategy, Metroid Dread, Actraiser, and Voice of Cards all looked awesome and Rune Factory 5 has a release date. Not hyped for Bayonetta 3, but I know many are. However, for me, this was the highlight. :D 

Totally shameless about it.

Nothing wrong with liking Kirby! An open-world Kirby sounds unusual yet GLORIOUS! I loved Kirby in my younger years so I likely shall return!

1 hour ago, MissShake said:

What a weird world we live in. Genesis controllers being sold by Nintendo themselves...

You got that right! I openly wonder how much extra this "Switch Online Expansion Pack" will be. I'm game of course. Just curious.

If the N64 controllers are compatible with other games, I'll probably buy 2-3 of them lmao. Banjo and Kazooie being available for the switch was my highlight. When they showed the N64 games nostalgia hit me hard, lol.

Kirby looks like the next Mario Odyssey type game and am definitely interested in it. I'm still weary on Bayo 3 since I thought the 1st game in the series was meh at best, but I'll keep my eye out for more.

Wow, that was one of the best Nintendo Directs I’ve ever seen. Where do I start… eh, I’ll start with the end!

FINALLY AFTER 4 YEARS, BAYONETTA 3 HAS A RELEASE DATE AND A GAMEPLAY TRAILER OMG! People are going to have different opinions about what the biggest highlight was, but for me, it was that trailer. When the trailer first started, I was wondering if it would be Bayonetta, but then the soldiers showed up and I wasn’t sure what was happening, then the mascot from Astral Chain popped up and I started feeling let down again, but then… witch time happened and I knew, the Umbra Witch is finally back! 

The other announcement that blew me away was Kirby and the Forgotten Lands. Kirby first came out the same year I was born, and yet has somehow never gotten the 3D treatment until now. I’m definitely looking forward to that one.

I had heard the rumors about N64 games coming to NSO, and I believed it because of the N64 controller leak, so that didn’t surprise me, but what did surprise me is that Sega Genesis is also coming to the service. I wonder what the price for that expansion is going to be.

The original KOTOR came out of nowhere. Anyone who’s not played that who is also a Star Wars fan definitely should get it, there or on Steam.

As far as games previously announced, I could care less about Metroid Dread or Splatoon 3, but there’s an audience for those games and they’ll have something to look forward to. Mario Party Superstars is on my radar, but my concern is how online play will hold up.

About the Mario movie, I actually forgot all about it until they talked about it. Not gonna lie, I laughed my @$$ off when they said Chris Pratt is gonna be voicing Mario. I have a feeling it’s going to be a trainwreck.

The first thing they showed is the last thing I’ll mention in this post, Monster Hunter Rise is getting DLC, which I’m now looking forward to.

Edited by whodeygamer
  • Like 1

That was a fantastic Direct all-round, in my opinion, with the exception of Nintendo asking for people to pay more money to play Nintendo 64 and Sega Genesis games.

It's just greedy Nintendo doing what they're best at, I suppose. :/

I'm going to put my thoughts on the announcements that stood out to me the most below, while also segmenting them to make it a bit more coherent and easier to read.

(Apologies for the walls of text in advance lol)

- - -

I'm really excited for Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak, as I loved the base game despite some of its flaws. (Sunbreak is also such a cool name to me for some reason lol)

Rise's endgame and post-launch support have both been extremely disappointing flaws to an otherwise great title, so it'll be nice to get some meaty, meaningful new content.

The new snake-like Elder Dragon appears to have a whole vampiric/Dracula motif going on, and I love its design.

Can't wait to see it in action, as well as what other new monsters await in this expansion.

- - -

The new DLC for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity looks pretty interesting. (I thought it was coming out in November, but now it's late October instead? Close enough, I guess lol)

Not sure what the hell is going on with the multiple Astors, or what appears to be Breath of The Wild Calamity Ganon attacking Terrako, but I'm excited either way.

Nice to see that Purah and Robbie will be added as playable characters, and I'm curious as to who the other mystery playable character will be.

(Interesting that the former two seem to serve as one character where you control both of them collectively as opposed to being separate, I must admit)

- - -

I've never been too invested in Kirby's games despite liking them well enough, but Kirby & The Forgotten Land looks amazing and I'm really excited to play it.

Seems to be Kirby's equivalent to Super Mario Odyssey in terms of presentation, following the trend of games released on the Switch "evolving" their respective franchises.

(The post-apocalyptic city setting of the game is quite interesting, and will be something for the people invested in Kirby's lore to eat up for sure lmao)

- - -

Outside of the aforementioned greed from Nintendo, it's still nice to see them finally adding games from consoles other than the NES and SNES to Nintendo Switch Online. 

Nintendo 64 games were expected due to recent rumors, but I honestly would've never expected Sega Genesis games being added too.

This implies we can get games from other Sega consoles, and potentially even other non-Nintendo consoles in general, down the line.

Both, especially Sega Genesis, are launching with a pretty impressive lineup. (And with a good few games already announced to come at a later point)

Banjo-Kazooie being announced as one of the future N64 games that'll be added to NSO was extremely surprising, and it was weird how they just glossed over it.

Hopefully this means that we'll get Banjo-Tooie at some point in the future.

I was kind of hoping both would be available for purchase rather than through Nintendo's garbage online subscription, but it's better than nothing I suppose...

(Still want a proper Virtual Console or replacement to it, though)

- - -

The casting for the Mario movie certainly is bizarre and made me laugh a lot, although at the same time I... kind of love it in a weird way?

That, and I feel like the cast weirdly fits for whatever reason. lmao Christ Pratt as Mario is honestly the only one I'm not positive on despite liking him as an actor, honestly.

(Although part of me isn't sure that Charles Martinet could do Mario's voice as well if he has to speak in entire sentences for a feature length film either...)

- - -

Splatoon 3 looks quite fun, although I've never really played the first two games sadly.

(Primarily because of the team multiplayer focus of the series, which seems like it'd be very stressful and put someone under a lot of pressure to not upset or let down their team)

I might have to give this one a shot, though, especially since I've always loved how these games look in terms of visuals and gameplay.

- - -

The Bayonetta 3 trailer was an excellent way to end the Direct considering how long it's been since it was announced.

(We've only had a logo for most of that time spent waiting for a more meaningful update on the game, for crying out loud lol)

The game looks very fun, and I like how they tried to trick people into thinking it was a sequel to Astral Chain at first. lmao

(I need to buy and finish the first two games, admittedly, but I'm still excited for this regardless as hack and slashes make up my second favorite video game genre)

- - -

The rest below is just other stuff that caught my eye, but wasn't necessarily as important to me. (Or at least wasn't as relevant to this Direct specifically)

Chocobo GP looks good, although I don't have much else to say about that game admittedly.

I'm obviously excited for the final Super Smash Bros. Ultimate presentation, although I expect to be disappointed with whoever the last character ends up being regardless.

I'm looking forward to the Animal Crossing: New Horizons Direct, as getting some major new content added to that game would give me an excuse to pick it up again. lmao

Additionally, I'm glad that they still felt the need to put Metroid: Dread in this Direct even though they didn't show much of anything new this time.

It really warms my heart to see Nintendo pushing this game and series so much now after all this time that has passed and the neglect they've showed it previously.
(They probably knew that they shouldn't reveal much else about the game since it's only two weeks away from coming out, which I respect and thank them for)

They also finally announced the Castlevania Advance Collection, which I was happy with. (I'll probably get it for PS4, though lol)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

Why in god's name was Seth Rogen chosen to voice Donkey Kong? I can't believe it. Oh and I guess toad's voice won't be annoying. It will just be that bald black dude from that Comedy Central Show doing the voice for him. I forgot his name, but I like him.

• Like 2

Regarding the Mario cast, it's the same kind of reaction we saw when Ryan Reynolds was announced as a VA for Pikachu and when Jim Carrey was cast as Robotnik. Both movies were alright, and no one really cares about those cast choices now. So maybe the cast choices for Mario won't look as bizarre after the movie comes out as they do now. Who knows. Although there's something to be said about Hollywood adaptations in general. Do they have to change the things fans already like every time? Do they have to have famous actors in VA roles?

In terms of games, to me, the most interesting announcement was probably the 3D Kirby game. The setting is an odd choice IMO, but the gameplay looks solid. And it's cool that Nintendo is making a 3D platformer that isn't Mario. I can't even remember what the previous one was. Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Kirby games have all been 2D in the last 5-10 years, haven't they?

• Like 1

The Direct was good. 

Love Platinum's games so I'm looking forward to Bayonetta 3 (also I'm liking Bayonetta's new redesign). The gameplay looks as solid and flashy as ever, definitely going to pick it up when it releases. Kirby and the Forgotten Lands looks really promising and I'm happy Nintendo's doing something new with Kirby again (I can definitely see the Mario Odyssey inspirations), excited to see more gameplay videos. 

About time Nintendo started putting some effort into the Switch's Virtual Console (hopefully GameCube is next!) though I'm wishing that they offer discounts to those who already bought some of the N64 games digitally like how they did it with the Wii and Wii U. I'm not really excited for the Mario movie and the casting seems odd (wish they'd let Charles Martinet voice Mario instead), but I hope it's good as Detective Pikachu and the Sonic Movie.

• Like 1

Great Direct! Watched it during lunch break today. 

I like Bayonetta's new design. Would be great to get an art book where they show the design process and describe how they ended up with the chosen look. 

Triangle Strategy will probably be a day one purchase for me (I'm just hoping it can deliver after Octopath Traveler set my expectations sky high). Played the demo earlier and it had some issues I'm hoping they have ironed out. The limited edition didn't convince me though as it's missing an artbook and soundtrack. 

The upcoming Kirby game looked pretty nice too. I liked the ruined city taken over by nature setting. 

I have some hopes for Rune Factory 5 too. Rune Factory 4 at least was a lot of fun to play on 3DS. 
Maybe I'll get back to Monster Hunter: Rise too with the upcoming expansion.

11 hours ago, Zephrese said:

Splatoon 3 looks quite fun, although I've never really played the first two games sadly.

(Primarily because of the team multiplayer focus of the series, which seems like it'd be very stressful and put someone under a lot of pressure to not upset or let down their team)

I might have to give this one a shot, though, especially since I've always loved how these games look in terms of visuals and gameplay.

Splatoon is actually a very nice game to play online. I've played the first one hundreds of hours and played Splatoon 2 a lot before they added a paywall to the online multiplayer. The game is so hectic no one will even notice if you "mess up" and there are players of all skill levels. 
I was worried at first too since I had never played competitive games against strangers but ended up enjoying the game a lot. Performing well usually earned some nice encouragement in form of some "woomies" from team mates and there was sort of a sense of camaraderie even with total strangers.

So if you have any interest in the game, I encourage you to try it. :)

• Like 1