Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

1 hour ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Shouldn't the E be after I?

17498478_729154037242945_591642875508888

I meant to upload this one. I did the other one first because the letter fit better there and it made enough sense that you could figure out the point, but then I thought spelling was more important. If only I could color over one of the N's.

16 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

17498478_729154037242945_591642875508888

I meant to upload this one. I did the other one first because the letter fit better there and it made enough sense that you could figure out the point, but then I thought spelling was more important. If only I could color over one of the N's.

Hey, if the spelling is good enough for Bart, it's good enough for you. 

Spoiler

I am proud that I was able to think of this and find it without the help of Frinkiac, as glorious as that site is. :)

Edited by MosesRockefeller

5 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Hey, if the spelling is good enough for Bart, it's good enough for you. 

Hide contents

I am proud that I was able to think of this and find it without the help of Frinkiac, as glorious as that site is. :)

I laughed, while reading my copy of Weird Magazine.

7 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Wait, this isn't Weird, it's Wired! 

Weird Magazine would be such a cooler magazine. 

I forgot about these comments. So this is why I grabbed a Simpsons DVD like an hour ago to put on when I crash tonight. 

My only goal in life so far, since moving out, doing higher education, getting a bunch of money, having a kid and starting a family are already done, is to live longer than The Simpsons continues to get new episodes. I was thinking about this the other day, the potential finale, and here's my little fan fic. I hope that in the end, Homer wakes up from a coma and everyone is a lot older and they've all lived through (at least some of) the future scenes with older Bart and Lisa and the coma is why they never age, yet keep having birthdays, and the future scenes are just little bits of the real world trickling into Homer's psyche. Treehouse of Horror episodes can get thrown into the mix as a coma nightmare or something. I don't know. You get the idea.

Just now, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I forgot about these comments. So this is why I grabbed a Simpsons DVD like an hour ago to put on when I crash tonight. 

My only goal in life so far, since moving out, doing higher education, getting a bunch of money, having a kid and starting a family are already done, is to live longer than The Simpsons continues to get new episodes. I was thinking about this the other day, the potential finale, and here's my little fan fic. I hope that in the end, Homer wakes up from a coma and everyone is a lot older and they've all lived through (at least some of) the future scenes with older Bart and Lisa and the coma is why they never age, yet keep having birthdays, and the future scenes are just little bits of the real world trickling into Homer's psyche. Treehouse of Horror episodes can get thrown into the mix as a coma nightmare or something. I don't know. You get the idea.

Hmm, pretty creative. 

I'll admit that I prefer the original 12 seasons or so and haven't been watching lately, but I'm still annoyed that they stopped making the season set DVDs. They gave the excuse that people don't buy DVDs anymore, or some such load of crap, but Fox doesn't sell Seasons 18 and 19 digitally either... which bothers my collector's OCD. 

Well, this weekend I had a chance to try World of Goo in TV Mode with the Joy-con "Wii-mote" type controls. They work well enough, but I prefer the touchscreen. For playing in TV Mode, I'd rather use the analog sticks to aim but I can see why some people might find the Joy-con waving to be closer to using a mouse in the PC version. It looks like the other two Tomorrow Corporation games also support TV Mode so I'm thinking they do something similar. 

The eShop is supposed to get Has-Been Heroes and Snake Pass tomorrow in the USA (the same day PSN gets them), and I'm considering them both. Sure, the PS4 versions have trophies but they look like games I'd enjoy more having the portable option, especially Has-Been Heroes. I'll read some reviews before purchase though... there's no rush with no preorder bonus and I still have Zelda to keep me busy. 

On 26-3-2017 at 1:41 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

On 26-3-2017 at 1:54 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Hmm, pretty creative. 

I'll admit that I prefer the original 12 seasons or so and haven't been watching lately, but I'm still annoyed that they stopped making the season set DVDs. They gave the excuse that people don't buy DVDs anymore, or some such load of crap, but Fox doesn't sell Seasons 18 and 19 digitally either... which bothers my collector's OCD. 

I still want to start again on The Simpsons (missed just about everything in the last ten to fifteen years) but I want to get through South Park first, before Fractured But Whole. I'm around S12 at this point.

15 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Well, this weekend I had a chance to try World of Goo in TV Mode with the Joy-con "Wii-mote" type controls. They work well enough, but I prefer the touchscreen. For playing in TV Mode, I'd rather use the analog sticks to aim but I can see why some people might find the Joy-con waving to be closer to using a mouse in the PC version. It looks like the other two Tomorrow Corporation games also support TV Mode so I'm thinking they do something similar. 

I'll play World Of GOo in touch screen only I think. Still not so sure about that price though, if they ever do a 2+1 type deal them I'm in. It's weird that they say Nintendo told them bundles weren't possible when Shovel Knight is bringing out everything as a bundle, as well as all campaigns separately.

15 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The eShop is supposed to get Has-Been Heroes and Snake Pass tomorrow in the USA (the same day PSN gets them), and I'm considering them both. Sure, the PS4 versions have trophies but they look like games I'd enjoy more having the portable option, especially Has-Been Heroes. I'll read some reviews before purchase though... there's no rush with no preorder bonus and I still have Zelda to keep me busy. 

EU gets Snake Pass the 29th, both on Switch and on PSN. I'm probably going to go for the Switch version, mostly thinking about PS4 because of the pre-order sale and the current discount (buy for €50 worth of stuff, get €10 back on your account) but I'll probably get to that amount anyway and I feel like getting it for the Switch. I'm first going to play through Shovel Knight though.

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I still want to start again on The Simpsons (missed just about everything in the last ten to fifteen years) but I want to get through South Park first, before Fractured But Whole. I'm around S12 at this point.

I was never able to get into South Park myself. I've had friends suggest it but the clips I've watched were too gross for me to really get into it. It's not that I'm squeamish, but it's just not my type of comedy I guess. That being said, I haven't REALLY given it a fair chance. Compared to say Family Guy, where I watched the original run before it was canceled and have seen a few episodes here and there (e.g. the Star Wars parodies). I dunno, I like that Simpsons and Futurama (still my favorite two animated comedies) have heart and you want to root for the characters. Family Guy is just mean-spirited and seems to be nothing more than a compilation of gags (and endless flashbacks). I find that type of format works better in something like 8-minute Looney Tunes shorts, not 20-minute episodes where I'm supposed to sit through the whole thing. Strangely enough, after the success of Family Guy I feel like The Simpsons copied that format. More recent stories are typically "meaner" than old ones and there isn't usually a point to most of the episodes. I stopped watching a while back but that's the direction it seemed to be going.

Anyway, in my most-likely completely unfair appraisal of South Park, I get a similar unappealing sense as I do with Family Guy. Yes, I've seen the Family Guy manatee writers gag, which I admit was great. I'm not into the voice acting either... I think it's one of those cases where the presentation turns me off so much that I can't see past it to the core that I'd probably enjoy if I could overlook the rough exterior. I think I just don't appreciate the shtick that Stone and Parker do. I've watched a couple of their movies (Orgazmo and Team America) and I didn't hate them, but I wouldn't watch any of them again either. 

I dunno, I think that comedy more than anything else is really subjective. Most of my immediate family are in love with Wes Anderson movies, and I think they're pretentious drivel. I'm always thinking "can we get the Bill Murray from Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, and What About Bob back?" And for their part, I'm sure they think most of the comedies I like are stupid, or at least they would if I went around gushing about them (like they do with their movies) whenever we have family gatherings. And then there's my cohort in IT who doesn't watch Simpsons or any other animated shows to my knowledge, so all my Simpsons quotes are completely wasted on him. :) Yeah, comedy is subjective. 

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'll play World Of GOo in touch screen only I think. Still not so sure about that price though, if they ever do a 2+1 type deal them I'm in. It's weird that they say Nintendo told them bundles weren't possible when Shovel Knight is bringing out everything as a bundle, as well as all campaigns separately.

EU gets Snake Pass the 29th, both on Switch and on PSN. I'm probably going to go for the Switch version, mostly thinking about PS4 because of the pre-order sale and the current discount (buy for €50 worth of stuff, get €10 back on your account) but I'll probably get to that amount anyway and I feel like getting it for the Switch. I'm first going to play through Shovel Knight though.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they didn't do a bundle. I think all 3 for $20 would be a good price. Oh well, if nothing else they can put all 3 on sale at some point. I do think this is an area where Nintendo needs to improve. They made a big deal out of the 2 or 3 cross-buy games for 3DS/Wii U, but they should expand on that with the 3DS and Switch (e.g. Blast Master Zero). They should also do more bundles, and enticing deals like "buy World of Goo and get the other 2 TC games for 50% off". That's the kind of stuff that makes multiplatform gamers like us more likely to choose the Nintendo versions instead of just sticking with exclusives. 

Sadly when I tried Shovel Knight again recently, I discovered that it's still as frustrating to me as I remember. I don't mean to dissuade you from getting it, but I doubt I'll ever be able to finish it. It's a quality game though, I hope you enjoy it. 

On 3/26/2017 at 10:54 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

As does everyone. I can enjoy a lot of the newer ones, but they're just so forgettable, and if they're memorable at all it's usually due to a guest or some gimmick, the last one I remember propers is the Lego episode and that was a while back now. I still watch every episode, but they're just so eh. Not even bad per se (though there are a few few genuine dudes lately), just entirely forgettable. 

I knew about the DVDs being canned, which is honestly funny to me because in one of the very early DVD releases the included book basically said "so enjoy buying them on DVD now, until the next format comes along and makes it obsolete", as DVD had just overtaken VHS at that point as the leader. But no, it's really shitty to not do those last few seasons for the collector's and whatnot. Wonder how long it will be until they make them available digitally? I used to have like 4 or 5 seasons worth on VHS, there were all these tapes with like 2 episodes on them and shit and I had so many from like garage sales and markets when I had a boner for VHS tapes for a while there. Wonder if they'd have ever been worth something a thousand years from now? Nope

18 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I've probably mentioned it before on PSNP somewhere but like 2 or 3 years ago in high school on one of the holiday breaks, my partner and I got through every episode of The Simpsons in I think around 12 days, I calculated it and there was a solid 8 days of watching (24 hours a day) with credits cut and openings skipped. I think I wanted to do this because it was right after FXX did the marathon and I wanted to too, but Australia was left out. Anyway, it was great, we ended up having a couple of people over here and there and had a bunch of pizzas and shit. Feels like forever ago that I could spent literally a week watching tele and barely sleeping and having people over and all that, instead of quietly sneaking an episode of something if I'm lucky at around 11 at night on my laptop so I don't wake the baby.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why they didn't do a bundle. I think all 3 for $20 would be a good price. Oh well, if nothing else they can put all 3 on sale at some point. I do think this is an area where Nintendo needs to improve. They made a big deal out of the 2 or 3 cross-buy games for 3DS/Wii U, but they should expand on that with the 3DS and Switch (e.g. Blast Master Zero). They should also do more bundles, and enticing deals like "buy World of Goo and get the other 2 TC games for 50% off". That's the kind of stuff that makes multiplatform gamers like us more likely to choose the Nintendo versions instead of just sticking with exclusives. 

Bad example though since the Tomorrow Corporation games are still exclusives... I get what you're saying though. Personally, I've already bought a non-exlusive game just for the Switch because it has 8-bit graphics and I wanted to play it on a small screen. I'll also buy Yooka-Laylee physical for the Switch, it just feels right to play it on a Nintendo console. Fuck trophies, those aren't deciders for me.

I'm hoping there are some other incentives to buy on the Switch, though. Mainly for others, because personally, I'll buy on the Switch anyway unless either PSN has it much cheaper or it depends on PS4-class graphics, like Assassin's Creed.

Sadly when I tried Shovel Knight again recently, I discovered that it's still as frustrating to me as I remember. I don't mean to dissuade you from getting it, but I doubt I'll ever be able to finish it. It's a quality game though, I hope you enjoy it. 

YOU CAN'T SCARE ME, I'VE PLAYED THROUGH SUPER MEAT BOY!

Also, there's not much you can dissuade... I've bought the game about a week ago :) I was saying that I'll play through it before I buy another game, or at the very least another one player platformer.

I've played for an hour or three by now of the main Shovel Knight campaign. It's not so tough I think, I got through three bosses already and all of them took me only one or two deaths before I figured out the best counterattack. I like the game, it's a little bit tough but very fair and you can get through it if you don't rush things - I'm playing in handheld mode and I'm not in too much trouble, it would probably be even easier if I'd play in docked mode with the pro controller.

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

YOU CAN'T SCARE ME, I'VE PLAYED THROUGH SUPER MEAT BOY!

Also, there's not much you can dissuade... I've bought the game about a week ago :) I was saying that I'll play through it before I buy another game, or at the very least another one player platformer.

I've played for an hour or three by now of the main Shovel Knight campaign. It's not so tough I think, I got through three bosses already and all of them took me only one or two deaths before I figured out the best counterattack. I like the game, it's a little bit tough but very fair and you can get through it if you don't rush things - I'm playing in handheld mode and I'm not in too much trouble, it would probably be even easier if I'd play in docked mode with the pro controller.

Yeah, we're clearly in different leagues when it comes to platforming skills, which should have been clear when you mentioned playing Donkey Kong Country Returns (I got stuck towards the end and never looked back). I played maybe the first 4 or 5 levels of Super Meat Boy before I decided that I wanted to keep my controllers intact and it just wasn't worth the frustration to keep playing. 

I never had enough patience/skills to stick with games like Mega Man, so it's probably no surprise that Shovel Knight is out of my league. To my credit, I did beat the first 3 or 4 bosses, but the game got too hard for me after that. There is a boss later on that was way too difficult for me, and I didn't stick around to look for alternate strategies, better gear, etc. Someone more skilled might not have those same issues though. I know my limitations and at this point in my life (and with my huge backlog), I have to decide what is worth struggling with and when it's time to say "wait, games are supposed to be fun and relaxing."

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Bad example though since the Tomorrow Corporation games are still exclusives... I get what you're saying though. Personally, I've already bought a non-exlusive game just for the Switch because it has 8-bit graphics and I wanted to play it on a small screen. I'll also buy Yooka-Laylee physical for the Switch, it just feels right to play it on a Nintendo console. Fuck trophies, those aren't deciders for me.

I'm hoping there are some other incentives to buy on the Switch, though. Mainly for others, because personally, I'll buy on the Switch anyway unless either PSN has it much cheaper or it depends on PS4-class graphics, like Assassin's Creed.

Yeah, well you COULD have played Shovel Knight on an even smaller screen when you had a 3DS and Vita... just sayin'. :)

I don't really have any hard and fast rules for what I'll get on Switch and what I'll get on PS4. On PSN, PS4/Vita crossbuy games are a big benefit for me. But in cases where there is no Vita version I'd be tempted to get it on Switch to have the option of portability. 

I do think it's interesting that you mention AC, because so far Ubisoft has not embraced the Switch like they did previous Nintendo consoles. They could easily have made Rayman Legends available at launch, but it's obviously not a huge priority for them. And they could have also ported AC Chronicles to Switch. I dunno, do you think we'll see the next AC on Switch? I mean it's not impossible but I'm not holding my breath. I loved the concept of AC Liberation on Vita, so I'd love having a full AC on the go. If the PS4 version had much better graphics though, I'd probably stick with that. 

5 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I knew about the DVDs being canned, which is honestly funny to me because in one of the very early DVD releases the included book basically said "so enjoy buying them on DVD now, until the next format comes along and makes it obsolete", as DVD had just overtaken VHS at that point as the leader. But no, it's really shitty to not do those last few seasons for the collector's and whatnot. Wonder how long it will be until they make them available digitally? I used to have like 4 or 5 seasons worth on VHS, there were all these tapes with like 2 episodes on them and shit and I had so many from like garage sales and markets when I had a boner for VHS tapes for a while there. Wonder if they'd have ever been worth something a thousand years from now? Nope

I've probably mentioned it before on PSNP somewhere but like 2 or 3 years ago in high school on one of the holiday breaks, my partner and I got through every episode of The Simpsons in I think around 12 days, I calculated it and there was a solid 8 days of watching (24 hours a day) with credits cut and openings skipped. I think I wanted to do this because it was right after FXX did the marathon and I wanted to too, but Australia was left out. Anyway, it was great, we ended up having a couple of people over here and there and had a bunch of pizzas and shit. Feels like forever ago that I could spent literally a week watching tele and barely sleeping and having people over and all that, instead of quietly sneaking an episode of something if I'm lucky at around 11 at night on my laptop so I don't wake the baby.

I remember that note too, it might have even been on Season 1. To your point about media formats, they did jump ahead and release Season 20 (the first HD season) on Blu-ray and then went back and started doing the in-between seasons in DVD and upscaled Blu-ray, but they stopped at 17. The annoying thing is, 20 and on are available digitally, but not 18 and 19, and maybe they never will be. I also don't know what version of the episodes are available digitally, but the DVD versions are uncut and have extra scenes that were removed for syndication. Beyond that, the DVDs had tons of extras, like cast/crew commentary on EVERY SINGLE EPISODE, deleted scenes, commercials, and other cool stuff. I admit that I don't have time to listen to commentaries much (I think I've sat through 1 each for Futurama and Simpsons, and they were great, but I prefer to watch the episodes themselves), but they were cool to have. Anyway, I miss those seasons sets and getting good value for the price. 

Also, on the subject of not waking babies, the headphone jack on the Dual Shock 4 is your friend! I've used that a bunch of times for gaming and watching stuff, and it's pretty awesome. But yeah, I get your point about being a parent, it's interesting for sure. Very rewarding, but also frustrating at times. :)

On 3/28/2017 at 0:04 AM, MosesRockefeller said:

I remember that note too, it might have even been on Season 1. To your point about media formats, they did jump ahead and release Season 20 (the first HD season) on Blu-ray and then went back and started doing the in-between seasons in DVD and upscaled Blu-ray, but they stopped at 17. The annoying thing is, 20 and on are available digitally, but not 18 and 19, and maybe they never will be. I also don't know what version of the episodes are available digitally, but the DVD versions are uncut and have extra scenes that were removed for syndication. Beyond that, the DVDs had tons of extras, like cast/crew commentary on EVERY SINGLE EPISODE, deleted scenes, commercials, and other cool stuff. I admit that I don't have time to listen to commentaries much (I think I've sat through 1 each for Futurama and Simpsons, and they were great, but I prefer to watch the episodes themselves), but they were cool to have. Anyway, I miss those seasons sets and getting good value for the price. 

Also, on the subject of not waking babies, the headphone jack on the Dual Shock 4 is your friend! I've used that a bunch of times for gaming and watching stuff, and it's pretty awesome. But yeah, I get your point about being a parent, it's interesting for sure. Very rewarding, but also frustrating at times. :)

Yeah dude, I love the features. A good example I always use was the season 12 (I think) episode with The Who, a Tale of Two Springfields (I think), the blooper when he hits Marge with the mike and tells her "shut the fuck up, Marge", whenever I throw that at people they usually have a good laugh. I also have the Futurama DVDs too (except season 7, could never find it) and shit like the full episode of Hypnotoad is great. And "The Lost Adventure", which took the clips of the game and made it into an episode, that shit is great.

I always use headphones, or the mute button. Either way, it's just tough to tell. Sometimes she'll wake up from nothing, and sometimes she'll sleep through a tsunami. The other week I cracked my knuckle and she woke up, and some times, like the other day, a nearby car backfired and she didn't even flinch. Never know.

HOLY SHIT, WHY HAVE I NOT PLAYED SHOVEL KNIGHT BEFORE THE SWITCH

I got the Spectre campaign on Switch for 13 and it's sooo fucking good. Now I want the physical version on PS4, but I want the Vita version if I'm playing on PlayStation since it's a great game to take with you. But like, I can't be bothered paying 32.50 to buy the full thing on Switch when I have Spectre already, so now I'm stuck. Sheet. New game plus time I guess. I'll be picking up a disc copy on PS4 whenever I see it on sale next, holy shit, this is a great game. Damn I wish I bothered sooner.

On 28-3-2017 at 3:04 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, we're clearly in different leagues when it comes to platforming skills, which should have been clear when you mentioned playing Donkey Kong Country Returns (I got stuck towards the end and never looked back). I played maybe the first 4 or 5 levels of Super Meat Boy before I decided that I wanted to keep my controllers intact and it just wasn't worth the frustration to keep playing. 

My wife actually understands me better than I do... I can get quite pissed at annoyingly hard platformers but she's stated once that most of the time when she sees me super happy because of a game, it's when I finally managed to beat a level that's so tough even I failed two dozen times. I now realise that I indeed love those "tough but fair" games, which is why I keep going back to them. I really should give Spelunky another go...

I never had enough patience/skills to stick with games like Mega Man, so it's probably no surprise that Shovel Knight is out of my league. To my credit, I did beat the first 3 or 4 bosses, but the game got too hard for me after that. There is a boss later on that was way too difficult for me, and I didn't stick around to look for alternate strategies, better gear, etc. Someone more skilled might not have those same issues though. I know my limitations and at this point in my life (and with my huge backlog), I have to decide what is worth struggling with and when it's time to say "wait, games are supposed to be fun and relaxing."

Then again, I can get very relaxed when I finally beat something that's tough. I was more relaxed after beating boss #1 (and boss #2) of Bloodborne than I was after chilling for a day with The Crew, even though I love both games for different reasons.

Yeah, well you COULD have played Shovel Knight on an even smaller screen when you had a 3DS and Vita... just sayin'. :)

I don't really have any hard and fast rules for what I'll get on Switch and what I'll get on PS4. On PSN, PS4/Vita crossbuy games are a big benefit for me. But in cases where there is no Vita version I'd be tempted to get it on Switch to have the option of portability. 

I'll remind you that I thought the Vita was a pain to hold in my big hands, a problem I don't have with the Switch unless I try gaming while lying on my back. I also sold my 3DS before Shovel Knight was released (I think).

I do think it's interesting that you mention AC, because so far Ubisoft has not embraced the Switch like they did previous Nintendo consoles. They could easily have made Rayman Legends available at launch, but it's obviously not a huge priority for them. And they could have also ported AC Chronicles to Switch. I dunno, do you think we'll see the next AC on Switch? I mean it's not impossible but I'm not holding my breath. I loved the concept of AC Liberation on Vita, so I'd love having a full AC on the go. If the PS4 version had much better graphics though, I'd probably stick with that. 

I don't even care if we see the next AC on the Switch because I'll play it on the PS4 anyway. Something like Chronicles would be better suited for the Switch though I personally didn't enjoy them enough to play through them a second time.

And the Rayman Legends thing is a joke. If it had been a Rayman Origins / Legens combo on a cartridge then I would have wanted it but just Legends, nah, too little too late. (even though I think Legends is much more fun than Origins)

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

HOLY SHIT, WHY HAVE I NOT PLAYED SHOVEL KNIGHT BEFORE THE SWITCH

I got the Spectre campaign on Switch for 13 and it's sooo fucking good. Now I want the physical version on PS4, but I want the Vita version if I'm playing on PlayStation since it's a great game to take with you. But like, I can't be bothered paying 32.50 to buy the full thing on Switch when I have Spectre already, so now I'm stuck. Sheet. New game plus time I guess. I'll be picking up a disc copy on PS4 whenever I see it on sale next, holy shit, this is a great game. Damn I wish I bothered sooner.

I know why I never played it before the Switch; first I misunderstood what kind of game it was and now I'll rather have it for the Switch since I don't want to play an 8-bit graphics game on a large television - Shovel Knight gets a pass because it is so well designed but usually I loathe 8-bit fake retro games with a passion.

32 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Then again, I can get very relaxed when I finally beat something that's tough. I was more relaxed after beating boss #1 (and boss #2) of Bloodborne than I was after chilling for a day with The Crew, even though I love both games for different reasons.

I'm finding a great sense of accomplishment with the Zelda BotW puzzles. I finally looked at two smallish hints last night that pointed me in the right direction, but that's the only time I've gotten outside help for the game. I really have to give Nintendo credit for making the puzzles so rewarding, and I'm not just talking about shrines. I completed my 3rd Divine Beast and unlocked the final tower as well, both of which required some creative thinking. I liked that many of the towers needed a trick to climb them (because of barriers, nearby Guardian snipers, etc.). 

I do also experience a sense of accomplishment for beating something really tough, but I'm finding that I'm enjoying it far less than I did when I was younger. Especially with a growing family and decreasing gaming time, I want to enjoy the time that I do have. I think I'm reaching the point where puzzles are more rewarding to me than things needing ninja reflexes. I suspect I'll always like platformers, but I'll probably need to stick more to ones that are more like Mario than Super Meat Boy. I do think I should give Shovel Knight another real effort but I have a nagging sense that it's beyond the level at which I can reasonably stretch my skills to enjoy a game. 

Basically I'm saying I want more games that have clever puzzles. That's where it's at for me now. BotW is really high in terms of memorable puzzlers for me (and of course it's only part of the game in BotW, it's not actually a puzzle game), alongside Portal 1 and 2. I started Talos Principle a while back but it didn't grab me the same way... I guess I need to go back to that and also try The Witness, and other similar types of games. 

I'll remind you that I thought the Vita was a pain to hold in my big hands, a problem I don't have with the Switch unless I try gaming while lying on my back. I also sold my 3DS before Shovel Knight was released (I think).

I know about your issues with the Vita, although it's fine with my apparently giant mitts. As a teenager my piano teacher always said I had enormous hands, but that may have just been because she was a fairly small person. :) 

And the Rayman Legends thing is a joke. If it had been a Rayman Origins / Legens combo on a cartridge then I would have wanted it but just Legends, nah, too little too late. (even though I think Legends is much more fun than Origins)

Hmm, that reminds me that I need to try Legends. I got through a large percentage of the levels in Origins but some of the boss levels and especially the "run from a giant thing about to kill you" levels that have zero margin for error frustrated me so much that I abandoned the game before finishing it. I hated those types of levels in Donkey Kong Country Returns, and I hated them in Origins. That might actually be the number 1 thing that pisses me off in platformers... I don't like being rushed through a level like that. It's unfortunate because I really liked both games apart from that. Anyway, I suspect that Rayman Legends has more levels like that, which will make me give up completing it too, but at the very least I should enjoy the rest of the levels. 

On 01/04/2017 at 3:12 AM, FlareXV said:

Does anyone know of any good Switch focused forums? 

If you can deal with neverending trolls, gamefaqs is alright, otherwise I use neogaf mostly, wish both of them had a forum layout from this decade though, they're both so plain :/

32 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

If you can deal with neverending trolls, gamefaqs is alright, otherwise I use neogaf mostly, wish both of them had a forum layout from this decade though, they're both so plain :/

GameFAQs is so full of toxicity, it's unreal. It's hard to have civil discussions there anymore (as someone who has been around that site since 2000, when the site still had CJayC and was still actually relevant in the gaming community), and it just seems to be spiraling even more downwards as the years progress and the site goes into its dying cycle. No moderator interaction at all, just simply people shit flinging. I used to be on there a lot, but the boards I usually attend have gotten so unbearably bad that I'll go months at a time without signing in.

The only other mainstream forum I can think of is IGN, which is slightly better, but I think if you can deal with the nontraditional layout, reddit might be your best bet.

Anyway, just found a Switch the other day and picked it up along with the Zelda Special Edition (comes with a REALLY awesome case for the Switch, which is shaped like the Sheikah Slate from the game), Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth and Bomberman. Recently re-added World of Goo to my collection, which was a classic on the Wii so I had no problems justifying the ten bucks to throw at it again. It's funny, because I'm getting bombarded with releases on PS4, but I'm finding myself getting lost in BOTW, and even Binding of Isaac (though I know I could technically play that one on PS4). Bomberman's good, too, but it's not worth the price of admission.

Currently looking to add Fast RMX and Blaster Master Zero to my collection, and patiently awaiting Mario Kart. A good start already, so far, and can't wait for mobile Skyrim.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 10:15 AM, iamjax said:

Currently looking to add Fast RMX and Blaster Master Zero to my collection, and patiently awaiting Mario Kart. A good start already, so far, and can't wait for mobile Skyrim.

Welcome to the club of Switch owners! Your note about Mario Kart and Skyrim reminded me of something. 

I traded in my Wii U copy of MK8 at Gamespot the other day, and I got $20 something for it (which is high for Gamespot and a game that old, they pay higher for Nintendo games I guess). I figure I wasn't going to play it again on Wii U, and with the added content (including the DLC I never bought on Wii U), paying the $40 difference isn't a bad deal. I think I'll pick it up after all, even though I'm not really a racing fan. The return of the true Battle maps got my interest as well, that was weird about the original Wii U version. I think the game can be played with a single Joy-con, right? I recently got the Pro Controller so that's support for 3 players right there. I'll pick up an extra set of Joy-cons some day, but I'm in no rush. 

Skyrim is a funny game for me. In the past decade or so, I've gotten far more into JRPGs (which I never gave a fair chance before) and lost all interest in Western RPGs. I got a cheap copy of Skyrim for PS3, then traded that in and got a cheap copy for PS4... neither of which I have played at all. I think having it on the go might be the tipping point for me, but it's a bit silly to buy it 3 times. I'll probably wait for reviews and a sale, but it's on my radar. 

So far I still only own Zelda, World of Goo, and Blaster Master Zero. 

For Zelda: 

Spoiler

I beat all 4 Divine Beasts and have the Master Sword. I have 2 stamina upgrades and I think 14 hearts (it might be 15). I headed to Hyrule Castle last night but I reloaded my previous save after using up a bunch of food getting to the entrance to the area (and running like hell from Guardians but taking lots of hits). I think I need to stock up on "heal all" food and maybe get a couple of extra hearts before trying to tackle the castle. I haven't gotten most of the memories yet, and I think I have visited 99% of the Shrines I spotted and marked from towers and from adventuring. I have a few Shrine Quests but I am stuck on the ones I've tried. 

I am glad that I've managed to get as far as I have in Zelda with barely any online tips. I did look at a guide for one shrine (which pointed me in the right direction), and I also checked a guide for how to survive the volcano area (with the lizard Beast). For the latter the game hints at what you need, but I missed talking to the guy at the stables who sells heat elixers. 

I am considering LEGO City Undercover but not at full price since I finished it with 100% completion on the Wii U. Great game though. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Welcome to the club of Switch owners! Your note about Mario Kart and Skyrim reminded me of something. 

I traded in my Wii U copy of MK8 at Gamespot the other day, and I got $20 something for it (which is high for Gamespot and a game that old, they pay higher for Nintendo games I guess). I figure I wasn't going to play it again on Wii U, and with the added content (including the DLC I never bought on Wii U), paying the $40 difference isn't a bad deal. I think I'll pick it up after all, even though I'm not really a racing fan. The return of the true Battle maps got my interest as well, that was weird about the original Wii U version. I think the game can be played with a single Joy-con, right? I recently got the Pro Controller so that's support for 3 players right there. I'll pick up an extra set of Joy-cons some day, but I'm in no rush. 

Skyrim is a funny game for me. In the past decade or so, I've gotten far more into JRPGs (which I never gave a fair chance before) and lost all interest in Western RPGs. I got a cheap copy of Skyrim for PS3, then traded that in and got a cheap copy for PS4... neither of which I have played at all. I think having it on the go might be the tipping point for me, but it's a bit silly to buy it 3 times. I'll probably wait for reviews and a sale, but it's on my radar. 

So far I still only own Zelda, World of Goo, and Blaster Master Zero. 

For Zelda: 

Reveal hidden contents

I beat all 4 Divine Beasts and have the Master Sword. I have 2 stamina upgrades and I think 14 hearts (it might be 15). I headed to Hyrule Castle last night but I reloaded my previous save after using up a bunch of food getting to the entrance to the area (and running like hell from Guardians but taking lots of hits). I think I need to stock up on "heal all" food and maybe get a couple of extra hearts before trying to tackle the castle. I haven't gotten most of the memories yet, and I think I have visited 99% of the Shrines I spotted and marked from towers and from adventuring. I have a few Shrine Quests but I am stuck on the ones I've tried. 

I am glad that I've managed to get as far as I have in Zelda with barely any online tips. I did look at a guide for one shrine (which pointed me in the right direction), and I also checked a guide for how to survive the volcano area (with the lizard Beast). For the latter the game hints at what you need, but I missed talking to the guy at the stables who sells heat elixers. 

I am considering LEGO City Undercover but not at full price since I finished it with 100% completion on the Wii U. Great game though. 

Thanks for the welcome, and yeah, it's good having yet another Nintendo console in my catalog of games. Just also bought a NES Classic Edition after months of trying to find that sucker, and it's been all things Nintendo lately. Even though I use my Wii U -- and now Switch -- as complementary consoles to my mainstay with Sony, it's funny how easy I still get sucked into all of Nintendo's big releases, the point where I'll own a fraction of the amount of games, but still find myself distributing play time fairly evenly.

As far as Skyrim goes, it took until the PS4 remaster for me to truly appreciate it. So far, I've bought it twice on the PS3, once on the PC, once on the 360, and now I own all three versions of the remaster (though, Steam gave it to me for free since I owned all the DLC of the base game, and I only own the One version because of better mod support). You'd think I was in love with the game, but I had never truly sat down and played it to all of its glory until I tried to find a way to like it on PS4, and at that point, it finally clicked. Don't know if its because of being far more playable than any of the versions on the PS3, the reduced amount of bugs, or the amazing visuals, but it quickly became a favorite of mine, and I trucked forward to the platinum after playing it nonstop for a couple months. Having it on the go, it's an instant buy for me. Not even just to take with me when I go somewhere else, but to even just play it casually while in my bed on a bad weather day while utilizing handheld mode.

On that note, I'm probably going to be abusing handheld mode. So far, since owning a Switch, I haven't even set up the dock, like connected it to my TV or anything. The screen is beautiful and vibrant, and after years of putting up with tiny screens with lower resolution like the other handhelds such as the 3DS, this really is quite pleasant. I may end up playing all of Zelda in handheld mode before even attempting to dock it.

Edited by iamjax

I might get Lego City Undercover, have it on Wii U but never finished it but really enjoyed the humor of the game but I am pretty stacked with games rn with P5, KH1.5/2.5 and may get LoHToCS2 in the next few days so yeah depends on how much I can knock off by then

3 hours ago, iamjax said:

On that note, I'm probably going to be abusing handheld mode. So far, since owning a Switch, I haven't even set up the dock, like connected it to my TV or anything. The screen is beautiful and vibrant, and after years of putting up with tiny screens with lower resolution like the other handhelds such as the 3DS, this really is quite pleasant. I may end up playing all of Zelda in handheld mode before even attempting to dock it.

Yeah, I haven't used TV mode that much either... sure, big screens are nice but overall I find the handheld mode very convenient, and how even at home I can sit where I want in my room (I was also one of the people who loved the Gamepad and being able to play games directly on that, so yeah)

50 minutes ago, Zanreo said:

Yeah, I haven't used TV mode that much either... sure, big screens are nice but overall I find the handheld mode very convenient, and how even at home I can sit where I want in my room (I was also one of the people who loved the Gamepad and being able to play games directly on that, so yeah)

Me too, I still usually play on the Gamepad when I go back to Wii U games that support it. I have a big Wii U backlog so it's not going anywhere for a long time. 

4 hours ago, iamjax said:

I love handheld mode, although I have finally started playing TV mode a bit. Handheld mode is where the Switch really shines IMO, because it's something none of the other systems can do. 

Thanks for the comments about Skyrim, I'll definitely check it out when it gets a release date, videos, reviews, etc.