Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Honestly the only E.M.M.I that I really didn't like dealing with were the fifth and sixth ones, especially the former.
Prior to that point the three previous E.M.M.I (So barring the damaged one, obviously) only killed me about one or two times at best, and actually scared me quite a bit.

The fifth and sixth ones were just nuisances and frustrating more than anything, but the latter was more tolerable because its ability was less annoying and hindering.
(Not to mention easier to spot and avoid, because the ability for the fifth E.M.M.I is annoying as hell)

A lot of people have argued that the bosses in Dread are as bad if not worse than they were in Fusion in regards to difficulty, but I personally don't see how.
Only a few bosses felt that way to me, while most of the other bosses were pretty challenging in a fair way. (Other bosses felt unfair until I figured out their patterns better)

The game's certainly harder than the previous games in my eyes, mainly due to the E.M.M.I, the bosses in general including the fair ones, and some sequences.
But I've thoroughly enjoyed how they handled the difficulty this time around, and the incredible movement and fluidity of Dread makes it all the more enjoyable.

I noticed how good the controls were almost immediately, and it's probably one of if not the best games I have played in general in terms of controls.
(Minus speedboosting + shinesparking, which feel counterintuitive even when compared to past games, and pressing down on the stick hurts my thumb)

The entirety of the final boss battle was also really neat, and the twist reveal prior to the fight was also a nice touch of adding background information to existing things.
(Without necessarily undermining them either)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Zephrese said:

I noticed how good the controls were almost immediately, and it's probably one of if not the best games I have played in general in terms of controls.
(Minus speedboosting + shinesparking, which feel counterintuitive even when compared to past games, and pressing down on the stick hurts my thumb)

I got rid of purple E.M.M.I. yesterday and share your opinion on the controls. 

I'm perfectly able both physically and mentally (as far as I know) and I was struggling with the speed boost + shine spark combo. By the time I managed to get into speed boost I had already forgotten what button I should press next and what I was supposed to do with the stick and at what point. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I felt I need an accessibility feature where it would be easier to perform. Thankfully the moves weren't needed in any boss fight so far because I wouldn't have been able to advance in the game probably.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

By the time I managed to get into speed boost I had already forgotten what button I should press next and what I was supposed to do with the stick and at what point.

This is exactly what I was also struggling with. lol

I even had to map the button for initiating the speed booster to the right trigger because holding the stick down to do it isn't comfortable at all in my opinion.
Having to deal with that annoyance while also doing some of the overly precise shinespark puzzles is hell.

Not entirely related, but as much as I love the new flash shift ability, I keep forgetting to use it. lmao

I'm also trying to do a faster run in the hopes of beating the game in under four hours, or at least to practice for such a run. Will likely beat it in under at least eight hours, though.

• Like 2

So many great additions to ACNH coming soon! I especially like the ceiling furniture from Happy Home Designer (don't know why they weren't included in ACNH from the beginning) and the ability to change walls one by one. 
The new things coming in the Happy Home Paradise expansion also look awesome, like the ability to add partition walls. I haven't been playing ACNH in a long time but these new things will probably pull me back in and I'm considering getting the expansion as well since I liked Happy Home Designer.

• Like 4

Nintendo back at it again with overpricing the absolute hell out of things, and their bootlickers are just eating it up as usual. :/

I'm honestly disgusted with them for being this greedy and out of touch. 

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

Nintendo back at it again with overpricing the absolute hell out of things, and their bootlickers are just eating it up as usual. :/

I'm honestly disgusted with them for being this greedy and out of touch. 

I expected it to roughly double and leave itself open for a 3rd expansion that pretty much included everything before the switch, but $50 is pretty bonkers for just N64 and Sega Genesis games being added. At least give us larger store discounts, dlc for pac man/Tetris 99, and other stuff that people have been begging for since online started.

I should be able to get a discounted amount and will probably sub into the new plan until I run out if it's like $10 (5 months remaining), but after that, idk. I'll have to see how much we actually play the games if that's the case. Gut feeling tells me it won't be worth it and will stick with the $20.

Honestly though, I'd rather just pay $20 a piece to keep them permanently than $50 a year. I feel like you're pretty spot on here with them getting greedy. Virtual console was 10x better than this. Wish it'd come back.

• Like 2

I see absolutely no good reason why they couldn't have kept the Virtual Console service while also offering a selection of games from various past consoles via NSO.

It'd allow people to try out certain games before potentially buying them, while still leaving the option to stay subscribed if needed for online play and/or playing other games.

Perhaps NSO would get games added a week or more in advance to incentivize people, while online features for these games would still require an ongoing subscription.

You'd still be allowed to buy games and keep them without the need of staying subscribed to an online service you might not care for in of itself or the games it offers.

Even more insulting considering the fact that NSO was only so cheap because it's crap compared to other similar services, and yet Nintendo is basically charging people to fix it.

At least throw in a relatively newer game every now and then more regularly, including big first-party titles like Super Mario Odyssey, to make things more worthwhile.

It's honestly kind of sad and embarrassing that the Wii U's Virtual Console lineup had been handled so much better than what Nintendo is currently doing with NSO. lmao

Nintendo's greed, arrogance, and mistreatment of its consumers has gotten tremendously worse these last few years due to the massive success of the Switch.

(People eating up $60 remasters of 10+ year old games probably hasn't helped with this much either lol)

It's only going to get worse from here, I swear. :/

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

I see absolutely no good reason why they couldn't have kept the Virtual Console service while also offering a selection of games from various past consoles via NSO.

It'd allow people to try out certain games before potentially buying them, while still leaving the option to stay subscribed if they need it for online play and/or playing other games.

Maybe NSO gets games added a week or more in advance to incentivize people, and online features for the games would still require an ongoing subscription to utilize.

But you're still allowed to buy games and keep them without the need of staying subscribed to an online service you might not care for/not care for most of the other games offered through it.

It's even more insulting when NSO was only so cheap because it's crap compared to other similar services, and yet Nintendo is basically charging people to fix it.

At least throw in a relatively newer game every now and then more regularly, including big first party titles like Super Mario Odyssey that's been out for four years now, to make things more worthwhile.

Honestly kind of sad that the Wii U was handled so much better in this department. lmao

Nintendo's greed, arrogance, and mistreatment of its consumers has increased tenfold due to the success of the Switch and people eating up $60 remasters of 10+ year old games.

It's only going to get worse from here, I swear. :/

I feel like maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal if Nintendo had more than just the barebones for online play.

I mean, we don't even have a proper messaging system, no rewards system, no themes, very few avatars... If you really think about it, we don't even have simple stuff like FOLDERS to put games in to organize our collection or any streaming capabilities built in like twitch. It feels half-assed already and now Nintendo wants to charge us more to get access to older games that anyone could emulate on their phone or PC and games they know would sell like crazy $20 a pop. It's just disappointing to see tbh. I'm not outraged about all of this like others, but I definitely understand why others are.

Like I said, I'll get the discounted one for my remaining sub most likely and judge from there, but I don't think anyone should be praising Nintendo for this. PSN and XBL/gamepass are way better than this imo.

• Like 4

People in defense of Nintendo for this keep saying that a lot of the games offered through PS Plus and XBL are "bad".
Which is not only entirely subjective, but also completely ignoring all the other things they do better.

(Not to mention the games being offered are typically newer and more expensive, hence the value)

Having themes, more avatars, and folders would be spectacular, and it's strange that the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS had more or less all of that while the Switch still doesn't.

(I know it's a small thing in of itself, but I'm disappointed that there aren't any avatars for Metroid: Dread, and that the only Metroid avatars we do have are from Other M lol)

Speaking of Dread, I did another normal playthrough and a hard one as well, and in both cases I got surprisingly close to beating the game in under four hours. lmao

I actually took less time to beat it on hard and had a pretty easy time after learning enemy and boss patterns, so I'll just need to not get as lost next time. ?

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

I am buying the Expansion Pass. I don't care what people say, I think the idea of playing N64 and Sega Genesis games on the Switch is cool. Plus, I don't mind the price for it since I can add $20 a week to my eShop wallet.

And plus, I am thinking of letting my PS Plus membership run out since I am burnt out with PlayStation right now. Dunno when I will get back int it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Alantor32 said:

I don't care what people say, I think the idea of playing N64 and Sega Genesis games on the Switch is cool.

I think it's cool, I just don't agree with the pricing nor do I appreciate the fact that it took them this long to add games from other consoles beyond the NES and SNES.

(That, and we're just now getting N64 games when we should've already gotten them a long time ago, and should already have games from other consoles past it)

Not to mention that the service needs a lot of work to begin with, so it seems rather inappropriate to charge more before you've even addressed a lot of the service's issues.

You're basically charging people to fix something that you've left broken for such an extended period of time, and that just isn't acceptable in the slightest.

There's also the fact that most of those Genesis games included with NSO were already readably available on the Switch anyways via the eShop, but I digress...

Keep in mind that this is just my perspective on the whole ordeal, so you do you and what you're comfortable with and enjoy.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zephrese said:

Speaking of Dread, I did another normal playthrough and a hard one as well, and in both cases I got surprisingly close to beating the game in under four hours. lmao

I actually took less time to beat it on hard and had a pretty easy time after learning enemy and boss patterns, so I'll just need to not get as lost next time. 1f602.png

Just did my first playthrough on Normal and unlocked hard. Do you get anything or see anything new for beating the game on hard mode? If so, I might just jump back into it. If not, I'll go back to finishing Luigi's mansion 3. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Just did my first playthrough on Normal and unlocked hard. Do you get anything or see anything new for beating the game on hard mode? If so, I might just jump back into it. If not, I'll go back to finishing Luigi's mansion 3. 

Not really, sadly. Both difficulties have three ending rewards, all of which are cool pieces of art that depict each of the mainline games released so far.

(Excluding the Prime games and the original versions of the first two games, since their respective remakes are included instead, while including Other M and Dread itself)

There are three ending rewards per difficulty that you unlock by beating the game period, beating it in under eight hours, and beating it in under four hours respectfully.

Doing this for both difficulties will give an additional reward, although it's exactly the same as the last piece of art you unlock for collecting everything.
(Minus Samus' attire being different in this version of it, but otherwise it's exactly the same)

There's not really any major new unlockable or secret foreshadowing scene rewarded for beating the game on hard mode, or even for getting 100% completion unfortunately.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

The Animal Crossing direct was everything to me! Finally more customization options, farming, cooking, new villagers, returning iconic NPCs, QoL features, new Amiibo card set, a Happy Home expansion, and so much more all dropped on November 5th! ?

I honestly was just expecting the Roost update with a few announcements of future events, so glad it didn't turn out like that. The only thing I'm still not sure about is if our Nook's Cranny will get another store upgrade, that will be the cherry on top for this massive update!

Disappointed with the huge price increase in the online service if you want the expansion service as well. Hopefully it will get a discount price in the future as for what it is now, it's not worth it. I don't use the online service as it is and when I did, it was the free trial to visit and exchange items on Nookazon for ACNH.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I guess Pokemon thinks it's a horror game/FNAF now. 1f605.png

(in all seriousness though... this is pretty interesting I guess. Hopefully they'll officially reveal whatever this is teasing soon)

I wonder if it'll be the reveal of another noble Pokemon or just a regional variant.

Regardless, I hope they continue to hype up the game even if it's not a true "open world" like others hoped. I still think it won't be that big of a deal as even if it's more like monster hunter as just from what we've seen so far, the individual maps look massive.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

I kind of expected it to be Hisuian forms for Zorua and Zoroark after the person in the footage mistook it for a Growlithe and (IIRC) a Vulpix. 1f602.png

My guess is that it is a noble Pokemon and will be a new evolution of Vulpix (similar to what we saw with Scyther and Kleavor), but I think I actually like your theory better. ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

My guess is that it is a noble Pokemon and will be a new evolution of Vulpix (similar to what we saw with Scyther and Kleavor), but I think I actually like your theory better. 1f606.png

Oops, I should've clarified that this was confirmed. lol A new evolution to Vulpix depending on how they would do it would be pretty neat, though.

• Like 1

Looks like the speculation was right. So that's a thing I guess.

I'm not a fan of those Pokemon but it's good to see Gen 5 getting some regional variant love. Admittedly it's a mostly popular pokemon so it was probably going to get one sooner or later so I suppose it's better to get it sooner?

I don't know if I'll go after one myself though. (but there's a PokeTuber I like that most definitely will due to it being their favorite Pokemon lol. HeroVoltsy)

so this means we are getting new evolutions for the legends starters right

5 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

so this means we are getting new evolutions for the legends starters right

God, I wish. lol

I'm not getting my hopes up after thinking they'd do different forms for the Alolan starters, though.
(That said, perhaps that was my fault for thinking that'd be a thing in the first place since it did seem like kind of a reach ?)

Edited by Zephrese

4 hours ago, Zephrese said:

Oops, I should've clarified that this was confirmed. lol A new evolution to Vulpix depending on how they would do it would be pretty neat, though.

Yeah, didn't know it was confirmed, haha. Very cool! Zorua is one of my favorite Pokemon from that gen. I wonder if it'll be ice/dark type, and I'd guess it'll still have illusion? Now, I'm kind of curious if they'll do a variation of illusion... Variants almost always have different abilities (in fact, can't think of two that are the same). I'm glad that Pokemon company seems to be hyping it up more than DP remakes, lol.

• Like 1