Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

They're Normal/Ghost-types, which - while seeming like an odd choice at first glance - makes them vulnerable only to Dark-type moves ironically.

Seems strange given their appearance, but it's also kind of neat as it implies they might've evolved over time to where their typing became what was once their main weakness.

(That, and we've never had a Pokémon with this type combination before, so that's kind of cool too I suppose lol)

As far as abilities go, evidently Legends: Arceus doesn't have them?

They don't appear in their status pages whatsoever from what I've been told, so don't take my word on this as I'm not entirely sure myself.

(Although I'd imagine that, since the game has confirmed compatibility with Home, they might have abilities when transferred to other games down the line if possible to do so)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

As far as abilities go, evidently Legends: Arceus doesn't have them?

They don't appear in their status pages whatsoever from what I've been told, so don't take my word on this as I'm not entirely sure myself.

(Although I'd imagine that, since the game has confirmed compatibility with Home, they might have abilities when added to other games down the line if possible to do so)

That's very interesting. That's something we haven't seen since Gen 2.

I'm not sure how I feel about that though. Abilities are the reason why you'd use a weaker Pokemon like Clefairy, Whimsicott, Ninetales, Bronzong, Porygon2, Hawlucha, etc. Almost feels like they are hitting the restart button on Pokemon with this. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Might be purposely trying to hide the new abilities too, but it's really hard to say.

• Like 1

I think it more has to do with the rather experimental nature of Legends: Arceus, rather than it being a sign that they're leaving abilities behind outright.

(Could be them hiding the abilities for the time being as well, true, although that doesn't make a lot of sense to me in all honesty)

While the game is still considered to be a mainline title, it's obviously quite different from what we've seen so far in numerous ways.

Given how young this is, it remains to be seen if both styles of gameplay will come to coexist (Which I would prefer), or if the old style will ultimately be replaced outright.

To be fair, the Let's Go games also didn't have abilities (IIRC), and those were also considered to be mainline titles in addition to games released afterwards still having abilities.

(Legends: Arceus sort of feels like a continuation of what they were attempting to achieve with some things first seen in Let's Go, albeit to a much larger scale and degree)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

The only one out of the new or upcoming Switch games that I would buy on day 1 is Kirby and the Forgotten Land because #1 it looks well done and very fun, and #2 it is the first 3d Kirby game.

Metroid Dread is surely worth playing too, but I am not willing to buy that one at full price on release month.

Also, since I'm here I may as well add that Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 are the must-have games for the Switch, if you ask me ;)

And the remake that I was looking for in that poll here was Xenoblade Chronicles X. If the maker of this topic or poll is someone from Nintendo, you guys need to get a clue. It's not all about Super Mario titles, you need other exclusive big-scale action and adventure games for the +17 year old crowd. Otherwise, the Ps4, Ps5, and especially the PSVR 1 and 2 will steal the show away from you. Guaranteed. (I own ps4 + psvr1, so I can tell Nintendo needs something new and big to stand a chance vs. all the epic stuff I've seen in psvr1. Astro Bot Rescue Mission was even better than Mario Odyssey, if you ask me. It was awesome. So yes, Nintendo desperately needs something like a very well-done Xenoblade Chronicles 3, perhaps. lol ;p)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zephrese said:

I think it more has to do with the rather experimental nature of Legends: Arceus, rather than it being a sign that they're leaving abilities behind outright.

(Could be them hiding the abilities for the time being as well, true, although that doesn't make a lot of sense to me in all honesty)

While the game is still considered to be a mainline title, it's obviously quite different from what we've seen so far in numerous ways.

Given how young this is, it remains to be seen if both styles of gameplay will come to coexist (Which I would prefer), or if the old style will ultimately be replaced outright.

To be fair, the Let's Go games also didn't have abilities (IIRC), and those were also considered to be mainline titles in addition to games released afterwards still having abilities.

(Legends: Arceus sort of feels like a continuation of what they were attempting to achieve with some things first seen in Let's Go, albeit to a much larger scale and degree)

All great points, and I think my mixed feelings comes as someone who plays competitively online and as someone who chooses Pokemon based on their abilities and how these abilities synergize together. 

I find the choice interesting nevertheless because it feels like they're putting focus on the strong style/agile style and other aspects, similar to what they did with let's go games.

8 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

All great points, and I think my mixed feelings comes as someone who plays competitively online and as someone who chooses Pokemon based on their abilities and how these abilities synergize together. 

I find the choice interesting nevertheless because it feels like they're putting focus on the strong style/agile style and other aspects, similar to what they did with let's go games.

Additionally, from what I can recall, Legends: Arceus doesn't have an online component whatsoever.

Perhaps that's why the Pokémon don't have abilities regardless if they're new, old, or new/regional forms of older ones?

(Likely still means that they will have abilities when transferred via Home to future games that do have online, or maybe even just to Home itself as it does display abilities IIRC)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

So... just thought I'd let everyone know... or for those that care I suppose...

That once I beat Akiba's Beat... (my next game and potentially starting it as soon as tonight)

I will finally be getting around to playing Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. My first time playing this game ever. I've avoided spoilers or even basic game information for the most part. Somehow.

I just hope that it lives up to all the hype surrounding it that made me pick it up when it came out. I also hope I don't struggle with it constantly like I did that god damn Cold Steel 2... ?

feel free to give me advice though because we all know i'll need it

• Like 3

If this is how DLC for Zelda games - mainline or otherwise - is going to be from hereon out, I'm not going to be happy. lol

Age of Calamity's second DLC has great character interactions, but it possesses nothing of narrative substance that is interesting or moves the story forward.

It just fills in gaps that didn't really need filling in the first place more than anything, which feels like a waste of the player's time and the narrative potential this game had.
(Be it because there was already enough information to come to a conclusion on something, or because it's not needed to understand the main plot)

Kind of expected this after how the second DLC for BOTW turned out, even if this isn't as bad as that was.

They could've included another playable character or two, especially a certain zealot, but nooo... (Nintendo does DLC "right"? Nah lmao)

Hopefully I'm not coming off as too critical, as I'm exaggerating a bit here for comedic effect, but I'm just a tad disappointed despite fully expecting to be anyways. ?

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

More reasons for Wii U's relevance even today: playing Project Zero 2: Wii Edition which I got from eShop yesterday. 
I never finished the original version on PS2 and I'm too lazy to dig up the old console to see if it still works so the improved remake should be a great way to finally see how the game ends. 

1bbef6ece2ae923f6a761cd98a79ea17ec3aa2df.jpg

Did any of you get the Switch port of Maiden of Black Water, btw? Or port on other platforms? The anniversary art stuff and photo mode were enticing additions but I skipped it for now as I've played the game on Wii U already. 

I wish they would remake the first Project Zero, which I also never finished. Got to the third night and then got stuck when I didn't dare to waste better film to a ghost on a balcony. ? 

Oh, and happy Halloween to you all! ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

More reasons for Wii U's relevance even today: playing Project Zero 2: Wii Edition which I got from eShop yesterday. 
I never finished the original version on PS2 and I'm too lazy to dig up the old console to see if it still works so the improved remake should be a great way to finally see how the game ends. 

Did any of you get the Switch port of Maiden of Black Water, btw? Or port on other platforms? The anniversary art stuff and photo mode were enticing additions but I skipped it for now as I've played the game on Wii U already. 

I wish they would remake the first Project Zero, which I also never finished. Got to the third night and then got stuck when I didn't dare to waste better film to a ghost on a balcony. 1f605.png 

Oh, and happy Halloween to you all! 1f47b.png

Have you tried out fatal frame 4? Or the 3rd game

2 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

No, I haven't played either of them. I think the fourth one was never released in Europe? Also haven't tried the 3DS spin-off Spirit Camera.

The 4th game was a japanese only release, but I think it has a fan translation online

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I wish they would remake the first Project Zero, which I also never finished. Got to the third night and then got stuck when I didn't dare to waste better film to a ghost on a balcony. 1f605.png 

I own the first three Fatal Frame games on PSN but never got around to playing them. I heard about the Wii U game but didn't expect a Switch version. 

Is the gameplay fun?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I recently returned to Metroid Prime (Metroid Dread, which I loved, got me in the mood) in its Wii Trilogy form, on Wii U. I was at "60%" completion when I took a long break, for a year or two maybe. My sensor bar was broken and I have never gotten the Wii U gamepad lined up right to get its internal sensor bar working well for games that use Wii Remote pointing. I found a used official sensor bar at Amazon and I'm getting close to the end of the game I think.

My daughter loves playing Mario Maker on Wii U, using the gamepad. I have Mario Maker 2 also, but that isn't as accessible or fun for her.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Would it be a problem to play Metroid Dread without having played the other Metroids?  A problem meaning, even just not appreciating it fully.

I think you should at least play or look up the story of Fusion before playing Dread. It certainly isn't necessary, but if you want to fully appreciate Dread, you should understand what happened in Fusion.  

Parker

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Parker said:

I think you should at least play or look up the story of Fusion before playing Dread. It certainly isn't necessary, but if you want to fully appreciate Dread, you should understand what happened in Fusion.  

Parker

I might try to hit a few of the games in the series while I'm kinda in the mood, though I think I generally like modern retro more than actual retro. xD I'll keep Fusion in mind in particular.  Thanks! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

I might try to hit a few of the games in the series while I'm kinda in the mood, though I think I generally like modern retro more than actual retro. xD I'll keep Fusion in mind in particular.  Thanks! 

If you have NSO, you could play Super Metroid which will give you a good chunk of the story. Personally, I think if you know what happened in Super and Fusion, you'll fully understand the story.

I played super and just watched a yt video to fill in the blanks and enjoyed the story a lot and didn't feel like I missed anything. The game does recap the story, but you really miss out on a lot of the context behind the recap that helps you understand Samus.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, NullRay85 said:

I own the first three Fatal Frame games on PSN but never got around to playing them. I heard about the Wii U game but didn't expect a Switch version. 

Is the gameplay fun?

The gameplay is pretty slow. The playable characters move slowly even when running probably to increase the tension and feeling of helplessness. The Camera Obscura controls are very clunky on PS2 when you have to aim with the stick, so motion controls really improve that aspect of the games. Wii U gamepad was great and intuitive in Maiden of Black Water since you actually used it like a camera. 
There's a significant amount of backtracking in the games which I personally don't care for. Sometimes I've also needed a guide to know where to go next. 

But the lore and stories in the games are very intriguing. Love all the gruesome things the games have. I really enjoy the way you find out more about the events little by little, exploring places, finding newspaper articles, old notes, audio records, etc. to paint the picture. 

The atmosphere in the games is to die for (heh). Just last night walked into a terrifying doll shrine in Project Zero 2 and was attacked by incredibly creepy ghost twin girls. *shudder*

3 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Would it be a problem to play Metroid Dread without having played the other Metroids?  A problem meaning, even just not appreciating it fully.

There's a short summary of the prior games' storyline in the beginning of Metroid Dread. I've only played the original Metroid on NES (which I never finished) and Metroid: Samus Returns on 3DS prior to Dread and I was able to enjoy the game just fine. The story was great even though I don't know all the details about the earlier games. 
Surely people who are more familiar with Samus' past can appreciate the game more but it shouldn't stop you from playing the newest entry first if you'd like.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Surely people who are more familiar with Samus' past can appreciate the game more but it shouldn't stop you from playing the newest entry first if you'd like.

Alternatively one might come to appreciate Dread more when looking back on it after they've played the other games.
(Therefore having certain elements that were also touched up in Dread, no matter how in-depth in that game, explained in greater detail in the previous games)

In either case, you don't need to play the others to appreciate Dread or understand it in of itself.

Playing the other games will obviously aid in both departments and add on to them, but it doesn't make much of a difference if you play them before or after Dread itself.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2