Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

I’ve completed Pokémon Legends Arceus. This is the most fun I’ve had with a Pokémon game since Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, or as far as mainline games go, since Emerald. Gotta give Game Freak a ton of credit, sure the graphics and performance issues have been run into the ground at this point, but there hasn’t been this much effort put into making a great Pokémon game since Black and White 2. Being a Pokémon fan had been rough over the last 10 years or so, but my faith in Game Freak at least for now has been restored.

Since I now have the Shiny Charm, I’ll still play Legends Arceus from time to time attempting to get more and more shinies due to how easy it is to get them nowadays.

• Like 2

rInPe9o.png

c5TnwlN.png

Wasn't sure if it'd be better to post these here or in the thread about it, but regardless I figured I'd share 'em after the news of the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS eShops closing.

Clearly I've played a lot more on my Nintendo Switch in a shorter time frame than both of them, though. ?

Here's the hours for all of the top three games that I've played the most on both consoles: (Is it too obvious that I'm a massive Zelda fangirl? lol)

wIJkKJG.pngxsHTfku.png

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 4

Really heartbreaking news indeed that the 3DS and Wii U eShops will be closing. Just yesterday I completed Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask on 3DS and I have a lot of great titles in my backlog - both physical and digital. I have a few digital-only titles I've been intending to buy, Liberation Maiden and Shin Megami Tensei IV for 3DS and Golden Sun and its sequel for Wii U Virtual Console. As my play time totals below may indicate, 3DS is my favorite console even today. 

My memories:

Wii U (1020 hrs) 26 Titles Played

Most played:

1. Crunchyroll - 222 hrs

2. Splatoon - 191 hrs

3. Wii Fit U - 182 hrs

Favourite Genres: Action, Other, Adventure

Most Unforgettable Game: Splatoon

3DS (4320 hrs) 71 Titles Played

Most Played:

1. Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 1147 hrs

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening - 312 hrs

3. Fire Emblem Fates - 283 hrs

Favourite Genres: RPG, Simulation, Other

Most Unforgettable Game: Fire Emblem: Awakening (wasn't able to pick Pokémon White 2 as it seems all Nintendo DS titles were absent on the list)

My total hours for 3DS don't include all the hours I've actually played as I occasionally play something on my other 3DS consoles (I own 4 of them). One of them is my "Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns machine" where I keep the cartridge so I can fire up the game whenever I feel the urge to jump into the game without having to worry about swapping cartridges.

Edited by Eyjabria
  • Like 4

For my top 10 most played games on 3DS they are:
10. Kid Icarus: Uprising 30 hours
9. New Super Mario Bros 2 41 hours
8. Super Mario 3D Land 50 hours
7. Ocarina of Time 3D 51 hours
6. Fire Emblem Awakening 58 hours
5. Paper Mario Sticker Star 61 hours
4. Mario Kart 7 94 hours
3. Luigis Mansion Dark Moon 96 hours
2. Animal Crossing New Leaf 202 hours
1. Super Smash Bros 4 333 hours

With a total of 85 titles played and 1287 hours play time. I hardly touched my Wii U. Only 28 hours in Mario Kart 8 and 330 hours in COD: Ghosts. I still have a lot to play on my New Nintendo 3DS XL, got to beat Ocarina, Bravely Default, Majora's Mask, Mario/Luigi Paper Jam. I really think Nintendo should reconsider this decision. But just in case, PLAY GUNMAN CLIVE 1 & 2. Both of those games are extremely underrated. Please buy them before it's too late. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, The Titan said:

But just in case, PLAY GUNMAN CLIVE 1 & 2. Both of those games are extremely underrated. Please buy them before it's too late. 

Thanks for the heads up, been eyeing it for years. There's an HD Collection for the Switch, so that's great too.

Some of my recommendations are Sakura Samurai, Pushmo, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Liberation Maiden, and HarmoKnight.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NullRay85 said:

Thanks for the heads up, been eyeing it for years. There's an HD Collection for the Switch, so that's great too.

Some of my recommendations are Sakura Samurai, Pushmo, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Liberation Maiden, and HarmoKnight.

True, but I feel you should play it on 3DS. The 3D effect in Gunman Clive is just soooo good. Trust me, playing it on 3DS is the way to go. And I've beaten Liberation Maiden. It was short but it was fun to play. It sucks that it sold poorly both in and outside of Japan. I haven't played the VN sequel mostly because it hasn't released outside of japan. Maybe if they re-release Liberation Maiden on Switch, people will give it a chance? 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, The Titan said:

True, but I feel you should play it on 3DS. The 3D effect in Gunman Clive is just soooo good. Trust me, playing it on 3DS is the way to go. And I've beaten Liberation Maiden. It was short but it was fun to play. It sucks that it sold poorly both in and outside of Japan. I haven't played the VN sequel mostly because it hasn't released outside of japan. Maybe if they re-release Liberation Maiden on Switch, people will give it a chance? 

That reminds me, I've heard the argument that the Phoenix Wright trilogy (the original one) is best on 3DS. When I finally get around to it, that's where I'll play it. I only ever toyed with 3D on the 3DS, but for me it's all about the games. I've been playing mine a lot lately, using a jailbroken New 3DS XL with a new battery (which definitely improved its play time) to go through the Fire Emblem series, including fan translations of the Japan-only titles. With the remakes included, you can play everything except the 3 "modern" home console entries (one each on Gamecube, Wii, and Switch) on a hacked 3DS/2DS. So far I've played the first 3 games (having already played Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses one playthrough each), and I just started the 4th game. I'm using RetroArch for the 4th and 5th games (they are SNES games), and I will probably port my savegame for 4 or 5 over to the Steam Deck once I get it later this year (depending on how much I've progressed in the series).

My 7 year old actually prefers Mario Maker to Mario Maker 2, because the Wii U Gamepad / TV format makes it easier to design levels.

I'm not surprised that Nintendo is shutting down the stores after more than 10 years. Still, it's a bummer. Miiverse was already discontinued, and that was a really cool service. I wish Nintendo would bring it back for Switch or its successor.

I do think it's silly that people are complaining that the Switch shop will be closed "once its successor is out". The Switch will be 3.5 years old when the Wii U and 3DS stores close, and it seems likely that the Switch's successor will be backwards compatible anyway. Putting things in perspective, both consoles lasted longer than I expected. I'm sure I'll keep playing both well past next year.

• Like 3

So much for my plans on cutting down on buying new games and playing my backlog... The eShop closure news made me panic and had to get a physical copy of Dragon Quest VII for 3DS now that I know it won't be available digitally either in the future. Also planning on getting multiple digital games I've been waiting for the right time to purchase (a sale or just a feeling of "I want to play this title right now after I just finished a game I was playing"). I truly live the hardest life. 

On Switch I've been playing Steins;Gate Elite in the evenings. I think I'm in chapter 7 now. The topic is interesting but it's been suprisingly lacking in the event department (I mean, the otome games I've played have had more action) and some of the characters have been kind of annoying but it has started to show its potential. Husbando seems to like it too as he likes to watch me play it.

• Like 3

Surprised nobody has mentioned this.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/02/metroid-prime-4-dev-retro-studios-updates-its-twitter-profile-with-a-new-banner

Hopefully more news coming soon finally.

Also made two new additions to the Switch library. Since I'm getting Rune Factory 5 and Kirby in March, likely that's it for now. I also enjoyed the Triangle Strategy demo, but probably will pick that up a little bit later.

81fTwwQLE6L._SL1500_.jpg

91Oxn+DAw0L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

On Switch I've been playing Steins;Gate Elite in the evenings. I think I'm in chapter 7 now. The topic is interesting but it's been suprisingly lacking in the event department (I mean, the otome games I've played have had more action) and some of the characters have been kind of annoying but it has started to show its potential. Husbando seems to like it too as he likes to watch me play it.

I've been wanting to check that out. I guess since Elite includes more cutscenes, it makes more sense to play the game before watching the anime? I haven't done either. Supposedly Steins Gate 0 (I refuse to do that goofy punctuation) is getting an Elite remake too.

I gave Xenoblade Chronicles X another try on Thursday for about an hour. I was at the beginning of Chapter 4 and needed to "sync" more of the map or whatever to unlock the story mission. So I followed a guide to unlock a few more checkpoints. To be honest, it didn't pull me in. I find the exploration in X to be tedious, and the silent protagonist isn't my cup of tea. I can see how it would appeal to people wanting an "offline MMO". That's not me though.

Yesterday I remembered that I had not yet started Xenoblade Chronicles 2: The Golden Country, so I started playing that. 5 minutes into it I was having more fun than with XCX. I think it's time to conclude that XCX just isn't for me. I think there's a core of a game I would like there, but it's buried beneath too many layers that annoy me. The main characters (Elma and Lin so far I think?) are interesting but there isn't enough story and character interaction for me. I loved the story and characters in XCX2 so Golden Country is way more appealing to me. Eventually I'll get around to playing XC Definitive Edition too, but maybe not before XC3 is out. So many games.

I saw an article on Nintendo Life related to the XC series that I found amusing and perplexing. It was asking what people thought of the British voice acting in the English dubs of the series (and a few others, like Dragon Quest XIII and XI). I was surprised to see that some people don't care for it. For me it's a huge part of the charm of these series. I've only played XC2, DQXI, and bits of XCX and XC2: The Golden Country, so I still have to try DQXIII and XC1. But I am sure I will find the voice acting charming there too. I'm American and maybe it's more annoying to Brits, but I can't get enough of it. It's a fun change from most video games (which tend to have American voice acting) and I find it refreshing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I saw an article on Nintendo Life related to the XC series that I found amusing and perplexing. It was asking what people thought of the British voice acting in the English dubs of the series (and a few others, like Dragon Quest XIII and XI). I was surprised to see that some people don't care for it. For me it's a huge part of the charm of these series. I've only played XC2, DQXI, and bits of XCX and XC2: The Golden Country, so I still have to try DQXIII and XC1. But I am sure I will find the voice acting charming there too. I'm American and maybe it's more annoying to Brits, but I can't get enough of it. It's a fun change from most video games (which tend to have American voice acting) and I find it refreshing.

I saw this article too. As an American, it doesn't bother me if they have accents as long as the acting is believable if that makes any sense. I have found the voice acting in Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive edition great and honestly haven't given it much thought until I saw that article.

On the other hand, I thought the voice acting overall in Bravely Default 2 (also European voice actors) were pretty bad. Maybe part of it was the stale dialogue too, but it felt like some characters were overacting and others fell flat the whole game.

I guess in the end, I care more about the quality of the voice actors than the accents they have.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I've been wanting to check that out. I guess since Elite includes more cutscenes, it makes more sense to play the game before watching the anime? I haven't done either. Supposedly Steins Gate 0 (I refuse to do that goofy punctuation) is getting an Elite remake too.

I gave Xenoblade Chronicles X another try on Thursday for about an hour. I was at the beginning of Chapter 4 and needed to "sync" more of the map or whatever to unlock the story mission. So I followed a guide to unlock a few more checkpoints. To be honest, it didn't pull me in. I find the exploration in X to be tedious, and the silent protagonist isn't my cup of tea. I can see how it would appeal to people wanting an "offline MMO". That's not me though.

I haven't seen the Steins;Gate anime but I'm quite sure the game would be the better experience. I remember the awful Persona 4 anime and can't imagine anyone who hasn't played the game would get anything out of it as it barely made any sense to someone who had completed the game. 

Xenoblade X's exploration is somewhat tedious in the beginning but once you unlock a Skell it becomes a breeze. The mountains or other vertical structures can't stop you anymore. I think you're pretty close to the most interesting parts of the story. I believe in chapter 5 there's something cool coming up. :3

• Like 1

The more the days pass... the more I begin to legitimately feel like we aren't getting a Pokemon Presents this month. Which would be really shocking to me to be completely honest with all of you.

I suppose it's still possible they announce one this upcoming week with a one day notice like with what Nintendo did with their Direct this month. Only time will tell I suppose.

BUT IT'S OKAY BECAUSE DIGIMON CON IS NOW ONE WEEK AWAY. ?

• Like 1

With the Wii U and 3DS eshop closing down been making some last minute purchases before its gone 
Bought a lot of games already still got 20 more that I want yet
and I'll need to send a bunch of Pokemon into Pokemon Home so I have access to those Pokemon in future titles, however the majority will likely be staying in previous titles. 

Then I will have to cycle through every Wii U game and 3DS game I have to see which one needs updated. 

This could take quite sometime. 
 Also started up Pokemon Shining Pearl and Brilliant Diamond to get the Platinum outfit. 

As long as I'm still able to trade Pokemon between previous games should still be good. 

I just hope I can still re-download purchased games, although not sure how that would work with 3DS. and wonder if I will still be able to change the 3DS theme as well. 

• Like 3

Okay, I'm officially a fan of Xenoblade Chronicles. I am near the end of Chapter 13, 60 hours in, and it's the only thing I've been playing all month practically. The gameplay is stale at the beginning, but once you unlock abilities, arts, and more characters, you actually get to build a bit of a strategy based off of different combinations and start feeling like an actual strategy game. It's pretty enjoyable to see all the characters interact in battle and it feels rewarding to put in the effort to put affinities up between the characters and seeing the neat little conversations too. It reminds me in a sense of Fire Emblem and building relationships, and that's one of my favorite series.

So far, these have been my favorite team combos (SPOILERS AHEAD, NO SERIOUSLY). Shulk seems so overpowered due to the monado's abilities, but I feel like each character has a specific role that they thrive on and make each one viable. 

Spoiler

Shulk, Sharla, Reyn - This is such a classic combo and easy to use. You pretty much make Reyn an aggro tank, have Sharla heal him, and Shulk do back and side attacks. It's the one I used for most of the game and is my go-to for bosses. You can also get this topple, daze, headshot combo off in combos and literally never give the enemy a chance to attack. It's hard to build up for the attack, but with a little prep of the party gauge, you can go into a battle and just dunk 100K damage on an enemy.

Shulk, Reyn, Dunban - This is more of a hyper-offensive combo. Shulk is a part-time healer, part-time attacker, Reyn is still a tank, and Dunban is a toppler and big damage dealer. I had fun using this one for a bit as you can end battles really quickly if your party meter is charged. Dunban also has some great buffs to the party and can really make himself an absolute monster. If Shulk or Fiora is not my leader, he's a great party leader.

Fiora, Shulk, and Riki - This is an amazing sleeper pick. Shulk and Fiora can put their stats down just like Riki and then Riki can literally take MASSIVE damage from all the debuffs put on enemies. I took tens of thousands of damage just putting 3 or 4 debuffs and going into a chain attack. This has to be the deadliest chain attack combo I've come across. This has been really the only team where I feel like I don't need to control Shulk.

The story is also really, really interesting. Despite always getting sidetracked, I'm always excited to see what's going to happen next. With how this game is building up, I'm REALLY curious how this all ends and how this game has two sequels. It's so hard to not watch videos that break down the games, but I do not want to be spoiled in the slightest. The game's story has been the most surprising part of the entire game and I've enjoyed every bit of it. I might just end up buying Xenoblade Chronicles 2 after this and then buy 3. However, I don't think I could play through a series back to back to back. lol.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 3

Well it's going to be a busy weekend for me everyone. Digimon Con and now a Pokemon Presents.

Pokemon Presents has been confirmed for the day after Digimon Con on Sunday February 27, 2022 at 9 a.m. EST (so just calculate from there to figure out what time it is for you and your time zone)

Speculation for what will be shown:

Home connectivity for BDSP and Legends Arceus

Legends Arceus DLC

Generation 9

Detective Pikachu 2 (game not movie)

New Pokemon Stadium game

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game

Random Pokemon spinoff game

We'll find out soon enough I suppose. Just a busy and long weekend for me. I'm not sure whether to be happy... or scared... ?

• Like 3

In case you hadn't heard already, you can support Ukrainian Red Cross and victims of war by purchasing This War of Mine through any platform where it is available (Switch, PC, PlayStation, Xbox, iOS). All profits from the game and its DLC will be donated to aid the victims of war in Ukraine. 

I personally bought the game on Steam yesterday (as did my husband and at least one of my coworkers) and in the first 24 hours $160 000 has been raised but more help is needed. 

A little background info on the game: 

"This War Of Mine provides an experience of war seen from an entirely new angle. For the very first time you do not play as an elite soldier, rather a group of civilians trying to survive in a besieged city. During the day snipers outside stop you from leaving your refuge, so you need to focus on maintaining your hideout. At night you get a chance to scavenge nearby locations for items that will help you stay alive.

Make life-and-death decisions driven by your conscience. Try to protect everybody from your shelter or sacrifice some of them to endure the hardships. During war, there are no good or bad decisions; there is only survival. The sooner you realize that, the better.
"

Here's the official site of the game: https://www.thiswarofmine.com/
Metacritic score is 80 (Switch version).

This War of Mine has gotten official recognition from Poland's Prime Minister and the Polish Ministry of Education and has been named as recommended reading for high school students in Poland (2020/2021). The game is used in education for the human sciences: sociology, ethics, philosophy and history and it's been made available to all Polish high schools free of charge. 

And a reminder to anyone living in Ukraine or in nearby areas, you can offer invaluable and irreplaceable help by donating blood.

• Like 3

I honestly went into that Pokémon Presents with hardly any expectations at all. lol

And yet somehow, while some of what was revealed - like the Shaymin event for BD/SP, and the free update for Legends - was nice, I still felt underwhelmed...

...And then at the end they revealed GEN FUCKING IX COMING OUT THIS YEAR AND SOMEHOW LOOKING INCREDIBLE BABY, LET'S GO!

Obviously I'm a tad worried given how little time has passed since the last two games - even knowing that this is from a different team -, but it still looks incredible so far.

It's apparently a legitimate open-world game this time unlike Legends, which also admittedly concerns me a little bit. That said, I'll remain optimistic in the meantime. :P

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

Hoping Ninetales will be in the gen 9 games, so far I've been pretty lucky with Ninetales appearing every game lately
 Been in Sword & Shield, Legends Arceus, New Pokemon Snape and even Pokken Tournament(Non playable, but still in it).
 Think Espeon is a safe bet on being in it given Eevee is like the 2nd Mascot and Lucario already confirmed.
Not too hopeful about Absol, Lycanroc and Primarina.

Suppose if I get gen 9 looks like I might go with the grass starter this time around.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Slava said:

Graphics-wise, Scarlet/Violet looks exactly the same as Legends: Arceus. Same issues. But in terms of world design, it looks better. Would be weird if it didn't, frankly.

Saying that it looks "exactly" the same as Legends sounds a bit disingenuous to me, personally.

It still has some similar issues here and there, obviously, but it's a lot more colorful and detailed in a lot of ways from what little we've seen so far of it.
Not nearly as rough around the edges, even if it could - of course - still use some work.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

I just saw the trailer for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet. I’m pumped up for gen 9 because the visuals basically look like a modern Legends Arceus. My only gripe is with the starters. First impressions about them is that this is the worst starting trio of all time. The fire starter is easily the ugliest starter ever and it looks like a bad fake mon that some fan made. The water type starter design is the definition of lazy, it’s literally a duck with a hat. The grass one is the only one that I don’t hate, but even that one is “meh” to me. For the first time I’m strongly considering boxing my starter.

• Like 2

Really liked the direction of the trailer for this one. Take a look.

I like the look of the starters, but I normally do. It's usually the final evolution I don't like. xD

They said this one will be truly open world and will have no boundaries between towns and will truly be "evolutionary."

It's too early imo to say it will have the same issues as PLA, but I like what I saw so far. I think if they just fix the pop-ins and pop-outs, that'd fix 90% of their problems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whodeygamer said:

The fire starter is easily the ugliest starter ever and it looks like a bad fake mon that some fan made.

Little pepper crocodile is the best of the three, imo.

I think the cat is great too, but the duck I'm still warming up to. The other two stand out more to me, and it kind of just looks like Ducklett 2: Metrosexual Edition. lmao

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2