Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

4 hours ago, FlareXV said:

Did anybody get to test out the Splatoon 2 testfire, how was it?

Played 4 sessions during the testfire and it was super fun in both my and husband's opinion. The game is exciting even when watching someone else playing. There was no lag at all, only a few disconnections. New weapons, sub-weapons and specials have been added. Looking forward to the new customization options. Splatoon 2 is a day-one purchase for me (and the reason I got Switch). 

• Like 1

On 7-4-2017 at 10:34 AM, iamjax said:

On that note, I'm probably going to be abusing handheld mode. So far, since owning a Switch, I haven't even set up the dock, like connected it to my TV or anything. The screen is beautiful and vibrant, and after years of putting up with tiny screens with lower resolution like the other handhelds such as the 3DS, this really is quite pleasant. I may end up playing all of Zelda in handheld mode before even attempting to dock it.

On 7-4-2017 at 2:20 PM, Zanreo said:

Yeah, I haven't used TV mode that much either... sure, big screens are nice but overall I find the handheld mode very convenient, and how even at home I can sit where I want in my room (I was also one of the people who loved the Gamepad and being able to play games directly on that, so yeah)

On 7-4-2017 at 3:21 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Me too, I still usually play on the Gamepad when I go back to Wii U games that support it. I have a big Wii U backlog so it's not going anywhere for a long time. 

I love handheld mode, although I have finally started playing TV mode a bit. Handheld mode is where the Switch really shines IMO, because it's something none of the other systems can do.

I started out only using docked mode but I have only played in handheld mode after finishing Zelda. I'll probably play Mario Kart in docked mode a lot though.

Edited by BillyHorrible

15 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Jeebus, half an hour... Any games we did not know about yet?

Depends which games you know about and how intensively you follow Nintendo news, I guess? 

This Direct didn't showcase the upcoming Senran Kagura game for Switch though. It was featured in the Japanese Direct only so far. 

Strangely enough, the biggest news for me in that Direct was about Bye-Bye BoxBoy on 3DS. I bought it as soon as I realized it was released, which was good timing as I just finished the 2nd game 100%. I just can't get enough of that series. I hope Nintendo brings the whole trilogy (or a sequel) to Switch. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

I'm looking forward to knowing more about Ever Oasis and wishing for a demo for ARMS. I was hoping Splatoon 2 release would have been a bit earlier. Considering rescheduling my summer vacation to fit more Splatoon into it. :P

Oh, and tried the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo today. It feels like a quality game and perfect for the handheld mode. It seems there is no "infinite" mode though which is a shame, but I'm considering getting the game at some point regardless. 

28 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

You mean HD hand holding :awesome:

I guess the water balloon squeezing and puddings were just a reference to Peach Beach Splash weaponry and eating desserts with the Senran girls.. ?

Edited by Eyjabria
Oops, typoed the game name.

Hey @BillyHorrible I wanted to tell you that Fate Extella the Umbral Star has been announced for the Nintendo Switch including 20 DLC in the game (pissed about that since PlayStation had to pay for the DLC). Anyways, I want to announce that since the Fate Series is loved in Japan and also the gameplay for Fate Extella is similar to Dynasty Warriors.

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheVader66 said:

Hey @BillyHorrible I wanted to tell you that Fate Extella the Umbral Star has been announced for the Nintendo Switch including 20 DLC in the game (pissed about that since PlayStation had to pay for the DLC). Anyways, I want to announce that since the Fate Series is loved in Japan and also the gameplay for Fate Extella is similar to Dynasty Warriors.

At first I thought "mèh, not really into JRPGs" but looking at that video it seems to be more of a hack and slash game, which I tend to enjoy from time to time. At any rate, thanks for the info!

Not really getting much out of wiki/metacritic about how good this game is, seems like many reviewers thought it was repetitive but most gamers really liked it.

Haven't played a hack and slash for a while now so I might just give it a try...

37 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

At first I thought "mèh, not really into JRPGs" but looking at that video it seems to be more of a hack and slash game, which I tend to enjoy from time to time. At any rate, thanks for the info!

Not really getting much out of wiki/metacritic about how good this game is, seems like many reviewers thought it was repetitive but most gamers really liked it.

Haven't played a hack and slash for a while now so I might just give it a try...

To give you a premise of the Fate Series, essentially it is of Historic Figures, Mythical Legends, and Religious figures fighting on behalf of their masters for the Holy Grail. The Holy Grail is able to grant any wish the master and servant desire. Like the character I was using in that video was Joan of Arc and I was fighting Gilgamesh and King Arthur. In this particular game, Fate Extella is instead about the servants uniting and trying to prevent the Umbral Star from destroying the moon and subsequently the earth. 

The game is already localized in the West for PS4 and PSVita and soon Nintendo Switch but the dialogue is in Japanese but everything else is English including the text boxes. The map designs are similar but the map layouts do change and sometimes you will be in scenarios that will require you to take on areas in specific ways. 

If you want to see more gameplay, I would recommend this video I made which just shows the gameplay and no commentary. 

If you want something shorter, there is this one at 5 minutes instead of 15 minutes. Though this video shows only the two boss battles.

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 1

I'm definitely interested in Fate Extella, was waiting for a sale on PS4 to pick it up but if the Switch has relatively good performance (mainly steady framerate), gonna go for that, sorta wish we could play as some of the Masters too though, imagine Rin blasting everything with her magic gems xD

6 hours ago, TheVader66 said:

To give you a premise of the Fate Series, essentially it is of Historic Figures, Mythical Legends, and Religious figures fighting on behalf of their masters for the Holy Grail. The Holy Grail is able to grant any wish the master and servant desire. Like the character I was using in that video was Joan of Arc and I was fighting Gilgamesh and King Arthur. In this particular game, Fate Extella is instead about the servants uniting and trying to prevent the Umbral Star from destroying the moon and subsequently the earth. 

The game is already localized in the West for PS4 and PSVita and soon Nintendo Switch but the dialogue is in Japanese but everything else is English including the text boxes. The map designs are similar but the map layouts do change and sometimes you will be in scenarios that will require you to take on areas in specific ways. 

If you want to see more gameplay, I would recommend this video I made which just shows the gameplay and no commentary. 

If you want something shorter, there is this one at 5 minutes instead of 15 minutes. Though this video shows only the two boss battles.

3 hours ago, blazeaire said:

I'm definitely interested in Fate Extella, was waiting for a sale on PS4 to pick it up but if the Switch has relatively good performance (mainly steady framerate), gonna go for that, sorta wish we could play as some of the Masters too though, imagine Rin blasting everything with her magic gems xD

Seems like a bit of a risk for me since it's way out of my comfort zone, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for it if it is ever a reasonable trying price. Is this a full priced title on PS4 or a bit less?

30 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Seems like a bit of a risk for me since it's way out of my comfort zone, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for it if it is ever a reasonable trying price. Is this a full priced title on PS4 or a bit less?

34 dollars for the standard edition on PS4 or 50 for the LE

• Like 1

I was in the coming soon section before and saw Puyo Puyo Tetris was coming soon, but that it had a demo now.

Guys, get this fucking demo.

You can play normal ass Tetris against the robot as much as you want, you can play normal ass Puyo Puyo (you may know it as Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, among other rebrandings) as much as you want, and you can play the two of them against one or more friends as much as you want, for free.

I had a blast playing "split screen" Tetris, and if the game is priced reasonably I'll be day one-ing this, but tbh, the demo includes all the stuff I want out of the main game anyways. Great little twist on an old classic tbh. What have you got to lose with a free download anyways?

• Like 1

Good news everyone, I've finally secured a Switch. Bad news is, that I won't get it until May 25th lol.

Also, I answered the questionnaire at the top of the page. I'm most excited for MK8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Mario O, DQ 11 and the much awaited Pokémon game. 

I was on GAF and saw rumors that XB2 maybe hitting our shelves in Autumn 2017, hype if that is true. 

Edited by FlareXV
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I was in the coming soon section before and saw Puyo Puyo Tetris was coming soon, but that it had a demo now.

Guys, get this fucking demo.

You can play normal ass Tetris against the robot as much as you want, you can play normal ass Puyo Puyo (you may know it as Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, among other rebrandings) as much as you want, and you can play the two of them against one or more friends as much as you want, for free.

I had a blast playing "split screen" Tetris, and if the game is priced reasonably I'll be day one-ing this, but tbh, the demo includes all the stuff I want out of the main game anyways. Great little twist on an old classic tbh. What have you got to lose with a free download anyways?

I downloaded it and I agree that it's a pretty generous demo. That said, I lost BADLY in my first attempt at an AI Tetris match. Somehow the AI player always kept its blocks on the first 1-4 rows even though I kept knocking out multiple rows on my screen (which when the AI player did it, "sent" them over to my screen to push my rows higher and closer to losing). I might have accidentally picked a harder AI player, who knows. I'll keep at it and maybe I'll get better. I'd like to think I wasn't this bad at Tetris in my youth! 

Anyway, even though I had a truly terrible first match, the game seems very solid. I haven't tried the Puyo Puyo mode yet. 

On a side note, between this and Snipperclips I'm glad to see Nintendo is releasing demos. Some games like Zelda don't lend themselves to demos (and arguably wouldn't sway anyone regardless), but I think they'd be smart to do a Mario Kart demo. That's a high profile game and probably doesn't "need" a demo to convince anyone, but it would be a classy and cool move. Regardless, I hope this is a trend for Switch and that the demos keep coming. It's great for games where I'm on the fence; this and Snipperclips are both games that helped me make a decision to buy after a sale. 

29 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I downloaded it and I agree that it's a pretty generous demo. That said, I lost BADLY in my first attempt at an AI Tetris match. Somehow the AI player always kept its blocks on the first 1-4 rows even though I kept knocking out multiple rows on my screen (which when the AI player did it, "sent" them over to my screen to push my rows higher and closer to losing). I might have accidentally picked a harder AI player, who knows. I'll keep at it and maybe I'll get better. I'd like to think I wasn't this bad at Tetris in my youth! 

Anyway, even though I had a truly terrible first match, the game seems very solid. I haven't tried the Puyo Puyo mode yet. 

On a side note, between this and Snipperclips I'm glad to see Nintendo is releasing demos. Some games like Zelda don't lend themselves to demos (and arguably wouldn't sway anyone regardless), but I think they'd be smart to do a Mario Kart demo. That's a high profile game and probably doesn't "need" a demo to convince anyone, but it would be a classy and cool move. Regardless, I hope this is a trend for Switch and that the demos keep coming. It's great for games where I'm on the fence; this and Snipperclips are both games that helped me make a decision to buy after a sale. 

Puyo Puyo is a whole other beast, if you're familiar it feels great and it's probably the tightest version I've played, and if unfamiliar, it's pretty easy to work out. But playing the two against eachother is great. I was whooping ass in split screen so to make it a bit easier on my partner I played on Puyo against her in Tetris and, I still won, but it took a little longer.

I've had the Snipperclips demo on there for a while now but not booted it, I've been meaning to whenever we have the time, it's hard enough to squeeze in a solid sesh of games on my own, but even harder to time it not only when the missus is free, but when she's down to play too. As for Mario... I'd stick with the demo to be entirely honest. I adore MK8, but I still have it on the Wii U, and if I can download like a demo with just one GP or something, that would probably satisfy my itch. Still got MK7 on the 3DS anyway and that game is a blast, especially since some of my favorite levels off it aren't in MK8 anyways. But yeah, I love demos and miss the hell out of them being a big thing. They DO influence opinion. As a kid, I would have been about 11 at the time, I played a demo for Lego Star Wars II, with no prior Lego game knowledge, and loved the shit out of it. Ended up stacking up birthday money and pocket money and everything and threw down 70 on that sucker when I saw it in K-Mart. Of course, if I knew what I know now, I'd know I could have easily found it cheaper, but I was an idiot kid and I only knew what K-Mart was selling. Anyway, demos are bloody great and I miss the shit out of them. Problem with Nintendo and demos is that they often limit the number of uses you can do. Most of the 3DS and Wii U demos out there can be started 20 to 30 times before being completely locked from starting, which kind of works when dealing with people like me who would prefer to pay nothing and stick with the Tetris demo over paying 60 (yep, they want 60 for it here) for yet another Tetris game, but still.