Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

Somewhere in the pile of games I'm going to try to start sometime after Elden Ring, I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.  I hope it'll be a good JRPG fix in this break I'm trying to spend away from Final Fantasy XIV lol.  People seem to like it.

I just finished it this past week and I think it's a great RPG, especially if you enjoy the PS2 era of RPGs, (has that old-fashioned story-telling feel to me). The story is interesting and loved most of the characters (sorry Riki, you're a beast, but you are a weirdo). I liked it enough to go ahead and purchase the second game if that means anything.

I think the game was way ahead of it's time in regards to world building and open world. Graphics, monsters, and the rendering is really incredible for a game originally on the Wii. Puts Pokemon: Legends Arceus to shame.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnathan994 said:

Just bought my switch today and already love the little guy :D feels like a little brother next to my ps4 :D

Got Bayonetta 2 and CTR Nitro Fueled along with it and plan on getting 3 houses really soon! Any other recommendations for me as a huge RPG fan? 

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2, Bravely Default 2, and SMTV. Those would be my big ones.

Xenoblade Chronicles is pretty easy and accessable, but does have its challenges for a JRPG fan. The open would is probably the best I've seen on the switch minus BoTW. The story is great and will keep you interested.

If you are into old RPGs like Final Fantasy, Bravely Default 2 is a must-play. The voice acting (delivery) and overall story is a bit cliche, but the game lets you theory-craft your own strategy like I've never seen it before. If you like tinkering with your classes, equipment, and abilities, you'll love it for sure.

Lastly, if you want a challenging, more mature RPG that feels like Persona, but isn't quite the same? Shin Megami Tensei V is your game. I played on normal, built a great team that carried my into the last quarter of the game and started to get spanked by bosses because I wasn't making adjustments as I went. I ended up creating a really bulky, defensive team (instead of a hyper offensive one towards the first 3/4 of the game) in the end that allowed my MC to be the primary damage dealer.

It was a frustrating process, but in the end had a lot of fun with SMTV. Out of all the games I mentioned, that'd probably be at the top of my list.

Hope you really enjoy Fire Emblem 3 Houses. It's definitely the most ambitious Fire Emblem game out there, and although I enjoyed Fire Emblem Awakening more (I can go into more detail if your really interested, but it's probably not worth mentioning unless you're a total nerd xD ), it's still an amazing experience regardless. Probably a top 5 switch game, easily top 10 imo.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Johnathan994 said:

Just bought my switch today and already love the little guy :D feels like a little brother next to my ps4 :D

Got Bayonetta 2 and CTR Nitro Fueled along with it and plan on getting 3 houses really soon! Any other recommendations for me as a huge RPG fan? 

Ooh, nice! Which Switch model did you get?

Beyondthegrave07 already gave good recommendations. In addition to those I'd recommend Octopath Traveler. I've seen some critique of its story from some people but I suspect they haven't actually finished it (it continues after you've completed all 8 characters' story chapters). Golf Story is a little less known but a very fun and well-made game.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Beyondthegrave07 already gave good recommendations. In addition to those I'd recommend Octopath Traveler. I've seen some critique of its story from some people but I suspect they haven't actually finished it (it continues after you've completed all 8 characters' story chapters). Golf Story is a little less known but a very fun and well-made game.

A quiet reminder that I still need to buy Octopath Traveler. :D Probably pick it up this year... I just don't want to pay $70 for a physical copy of it. 

Golf story is really fun too. It has some amazing humor in it and a bunch of little funny easter eggs in it. Still need to go back to that one at some point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

A quiet reminder that I still need to buy Octopath Traveler. :D Probably pick it up this year... I just don't want to pay $70 for a physical copy of it. 

Golf story is really fun too. It has some amazing humor in it and a bunch of little funny easter eggs in it. Still need to go back to that one at some point.

47 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2, Bravely Default 2, and SMTV. Those would be my big ones.

Xenoblade Chronicles is pretty easy and accessable, but does have its challenges for a JRPG fan. The open would is probably the best I've seen on the switch minus BoTW. The story is great and will keep you interested.

If you are into old RPGs like Final Fantasy, Bravely Default 2 is a must-play. The voice acting (delivery) and overall story is a bit cliche, but the game lets you theory-craft your own strategy like I've never seen it before. If you like tinkering with your classes, equipment, and abilities, you'll love it for sure.

Lastly, if you want a challenging, more mature RPG that feels like Persona, but isn't quite the same? Shin Megami Tensei V is your game. I played on normal, built a great team that carried my into the last quarter of the game and started to get spanked by bosses because I wasn't making adjustments as I went. I ended up creating a really bulky, defensive team (instead of a hyper offensive one towards the first 3/4 of the game) in the end that allowed my MC to be the primary damage dealer.

It was a frustrating process, but in the end had a lot of fun with SMTV. Out of all the games I mentioned, that'd probably be at the top of my list.

Hope you really enjoy Fire Emblem 3 Houses. It's definitely the most ambitious Fire Emblem game out there, and although I enjoyed Fire Emblem Awakening more (I can go into more detail if your really interested, but it's probably not worth mentioning unless you're a total nerd xD ), it's still an amazing experience regardless. Probably a top 5 switch game, easily top 10 imo.

Wow thank you so much on all of the quick and detailed replies :D You guys mentioned pretty much everything I had my eyes on, though I haven't heard about Golf Story, could you guys give me a bit more info about it? I mean I googled it but I  trust people on psnp more than most websites hahahaha As a huge fan of the FF and Persona series, as well as Bravely Default and Second on the 3ds I cannot wait to dig into these games :D

As for what switch I got, it was the basic model. I was thinking about the lite and Oled but this one won out! And do shoot your opinions on the newest Fire Emblem @Beyondthegrave07 I relished playing both Awakening and the Fates games! :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnathan994 said:

And do shoot your opinions on the newest Fire Emblem @Beyondthegrave07 I relished playing both Awakening and the Fates games! :D

Well, you asked for it. :P

I should preface all of this with Fire Emblem Awakening is a top 3 game for me all time. It's a game that's very special to me and one in which I spent 700 hours on my 3DS so just keep that in mind for what I say about it in comparison to 3 Houses.

Fire Emblem Awakening was originally supposed to be the last game in the series. The devs knew this going in and decided to make a list of things they wanted to include in this game as one last hurrah. This included the children units, branching out the relationships/marriages with dialogue, fighting characters from previous games, and adding as many easter eggs as possible, ones easy to spot (like Owain's battle cry in his recruitment battle being "SACRED STONES" and "RADIANT DAWN" or Tiki's reference to Marth) to very subtle references (as all of the children's birthday's being on release dates of the previous fire emblem games). With that in mind, this game was made to be the ultimate, final Fire Emblem and it's always how I envisioned it. Since you've played it before, I'm going to skip the mechanics of it and just say that the gameplay and map were still similar to previous games like Sacred Stones where you go from one mission at a time or can do side missions with the ability to do random encounters. The formula for 3 Houses is extremely different.

3 Houses feels like a mixture of Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates and Persona. In 3 Houses, you choose what to do each week, what your units train for, and who you want to build relationships with at the school (or go out and do random battles or side missions for secret weapons, new items, or to simply level up). The game is very customizable and allows you to build your team however you want as long as you train them the correct way. You can train anyone in your team to do anything. Almost like having 10 Robins on your team.

At the end of the month, you'll progress the story by doing a big battle and then repeat the process next month. It's an addicting loop (much like raising Pokemon or something like that) that will last for several months until *something* happens. The game will then speed up a bit more and you'll be thrown into battles much quicker until it ends. It's a very long game that personally took me 70 hours to complete.

In the end, I think I went end expecting a very customizable Fire Emblem Awakening and it ended up feeling like a very customizable Persona game where the battles play like fire emblem. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all. I just prefer the standard that was set with Awakening and the lack of time management in that game.

However, I did enjoy it more than Fates. The story, characters, and gameplay are all superior in my opinion in 3 Houses, and you can play through the game 4 times and get 4 different endings without buying a special version or 2 separate versions. They took the most interesting aspect of Fates imo and executed to perfection which is why I really appreciate the ambition of this game and would easily put it above fates, but right below Awakening as I think Fates struggled to recapture the charm that Awakening had.

Not only that, every, single cutscene has voice acting. This absolutely blew my mind. The amount of hours they probably spent voice acting for each individual character is mind boggling and is still probably the most impressive voice acting job I've ever seen in any video game.

I think if you forced me to rank my favorite Fire Emblem games out of the ones I've played I'd go:

1. Awakening 

2. 3 Houses 

3. Sacred Stones 

4. Fire Emblem: Fates 

5. Fire Emblem Binding Blade 

6. Fire Emblem (original)

Anyways, you asked so I delivered. xD

TL;DR version: I really enjoyed 3 Houses, but I still enjoy the love that was piled into Awakening more and prefer it's gameplay loop for this series. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Johnathan994 said:

Wow thank you so much on all of the quick and detailed replies :D You guys mentioned pretty much everything I had my eyes on, though I haven't heard about Golf Story, could you guys give me a bit more info about it? I mean I googled it but I  trust people on psnp more than most websites hahahaha As a huge fan of the FF and Persona series, as well as Bravely Default and Second on the 3ds I cannot wait to dig into these games :D

As for what switch I got, it was the basic model. I was thinking about the lite and Oled but this one won out! And do shoot your opinions on the newest Fire Emblem @Beyondthegrave07 I relished playing both Awakening and the Fates games! :D

I've written a short summary of my time with Golf Story in my blog: https://nintendowife.tumblr.com/post/175406293019/finished-golf-story

I was wondering if you've already played Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia on 3DS. It's a really good game and I may have liked it even more than Awakening. Echoes is a modern remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden, the second game in the series which was originally released in 1992.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Well, you asked for it. :P

I should preface all of this with Fire Emblem Awakening is a top 3 game for me all time. It's a game that's very special to me and one in which I spent 700 hours on my 3DS so just keep that in mind for what I say about it in comparison to 3 Houses.

Fire Emblem Awakening was originally supposed to be the last game in the series. The devs knew this going in and decided to make a list of things they wanted to include in this game as one last hurrah. This included the children units, branching out the relationships/marriages with dialogue, fighting characters from previous games, and adding as many easter eggs as possible, ones easy to spot (like Owain's battle cry in his recruitment battle being "SACRED STONES" and "RADIANT DAWN" or Tiki's reference to Marth) to very subtle references (as all of the children's birthday's being on release dates of the previous fire emblem games). With that in mind, this game was made to be the ultimate, final Fire Emblem and it's always how I envisioned it. Since you've played it before, I'm going to skip the mechanics of it and just say that the gameplay and map were still similar to previous games like Sacred Stones where you go from one mission at a time or can do side missions with the ability to do random encounters. The formula for 3 Houses is extremely different.

3 Houses feels like a mixture of Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates and Persona. In 3 Houses, you choose what to do each week, what your units train for, and who you want to build relationships with at the school (or go out and do random battles or side missions for secret weapons, new items, or to simply level up). The game is very customizable and allows you to build your team however you want as long as you train them the correct way. You can train anyone in your team to do anything. Almost like having 10 Robins on your team.

At the end of the month, you'll progress the story by doing a big battle and then repeat the process next month. It's an addicting loop (much like raising Pokemon or something like that) that will last for several months until *something* happens. The game will then speed up a bit more and you'll be thrown into battles much quicker until it ends. It's a very long game that personally took me 70 hours to complete.

In the end, I think I went end expecting a very customizable Fire Emblem Awakening and it ended up feeling like a very customizable Persona game where the battles play like fire emblem. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all. I just prefer the standard that was set with Awakening and the lack of time management in that game.

However, I did enjoy it more than Fates. The story, characters, and gameplay are all superior in my opinion in 3 Houses, and you can play through the game 4 times and get 4 different endings without buying a special version or 2 separate versions. They took the most interesting aspect of Fates imo and executed to perfection which is why I really appreciate the ambition of this game and would easily put it above fates, but right below Awakening as I think Fates struggled to recapture the charm that Awakening had.

Not only that, every, single cutscene has voice acting. This absolutely blew my mind. The amount of hours they probably spent voice acting for each individual character is mind boggling and is still probably the most impressive voice acting job I've ever seen in any video game.

I think if you forced me to rank my favorite Fire Emblem games out of the ones I've played I'd go:

1. Awakening 

2. 3 Houses 

3. Sacred Stones 

4. Fire Emblem: Fates 

5. Fire Emblem Binding Blade 

6. Fire Emblem (original)

Anyways, you asked so I delivered. xD

TL;DR version: I really enjoyed 3 Houses, but I still enjoy the love that was piled into Awakening more and prefer it's gameplay loop for this series. 

Yeah I knew the story behind awakening, which is exactly why I bought it in the first place :D I loved the GBA fire emblem games so I wanted to support the series. From that moment on I bought every single Fire Emblem game on the 3ds! Perfect games all of them! Though I did not know that 3 hourses worked like that. Honestly it reminds me more of Trails of Cold Steel than of Persona. Both are perfect mind you :D  

And I heard that playing through the 3 paths is extremely different from one another which is another reason the game looks so appealing to me! I dread to count the hours I spent on fates just because I played through it 3 times :D I am guessing the 4th path is the mixture of the 3 like the third one was on fates? All in all you just hyped me up even more for the game!

4 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I've written a short summary of my time with Golf Story in my blog: https://nintendowife.tumblr.com/post/175406293019/finished-golf-story

I was wondering if you've already played Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia on 3DS. It's a really good game and I may have liked it even more than Awakening. Echoes is a modern remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden, the second game in the series which was originally released in 1992.

I just read the blog and, first of all, as a writer I'm glad you are writing it! Blogs are an awesome way of getting personal insight into games one might be interested in! But to be honest you had me convinced to get the game with the "The only thing you should be swinging is yourself, 180 degrees and out of here." ? Had me in tears! :D 

As for Shadows of Valentia, as I mentioned above I adored the game! I did find it a bit more difficult than the other 3ds games but seeing as DMC is my favorite series ever, I didn't really care for the difference but welcomed it :D And the story was amazing. If nothing else. I will always buy nintendo consoles for the Fire Emblem games :D 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Johnathan994 said:

Yeah I knew the story behind awakening, which is exactly why I bought it in the first place :D I loved the GBA fire emblem games so I wanted to support the series. From that moment on I bought every single Fire Emblem game on the 3ds! Perfect games all of them! Though I did not know that 3 hourses worked like that. Honestly it reminds me more of Trails of Cold Steel than of Persona. Both are perfect mind you :D  

And I heard that playing through the 3 paths is extremely different from one another which is another reason the game looks so appealing to me! I dread to count the hours I spent on fates just because I played through it 3 times :D I am guessing the 4th path is the mixture of the 3 like the third one was on fates? All in all you just hyped me up even more for the game!

I just read the blog and, first of all, as a writer I'm glad you are writing it! Blogs are an awesome way of getting personal insight into games one might be interested in! But to be honest you had me convinced to get the game with the "The only thing you should be swinging is yourself, 180 degrees and out of here." 1f602.png Had me in tears! :D 

As for Shadows of Valentia, as I mentioned above I adored the game! I did find it a bit more difficult than the other 3ds games but seeing as DMC is my favorite series ever, I didn't really care for the difference but welcomed it :D And the story was amazing. If nothing else. I will always buy nintendo consoles for the Fire Emblem games :D 

The 4th is a hidden one and once you play the game once, I'll tell you what to do to get the 4th one. It'll make more sense then. And, it's not a mixture of the 3... and doesn't make a huge difference in the fights, just who is with you from what I understand. I do think it has a different ending from what I heard so it's still worth playing. I still need to finish the character that takes you on this route so I can't confirm anything.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

The 4th is a hidden one and once you play the game once, I'll tell you what to do to get the 4th one. It'll make more sense then. And, it's not a mixture of the 3... and doesn't make a huge difference in the fights, just who is with you from what I understand. I do think it has a different ending from what I heard so it's still worth playing. I still need to finish the character that takes you on this route so I can't confirm anything.

Thanks a lot for all of the info mate! You really helped me out :D Just got 3 houses and cannot wait to jump in :D 

Edited by Johnathan994
  • Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 8:12 PM, Johnathan994 said:

Congrats on your new Switch! One RPG I'd love to recommend to everyone is Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age!

It's a turn-based RPG with a big world to explore and a wide variety of monsters to battle. The story is clichè with you being the chosen hero of light who must rid the world of monsters, but the lovable cast made up for it. The visuals and orchestral music are some of the best on the Switch.

Make no mistake, it's a meaty game with lots of side content to tackle-- my playthrough took me close to 90 hours, which was good value. There's a demo that's around 10 hours long if you'd like to try it out too.

Edited by NullRay85
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, NullRay85 said:

Congrats on your new Switch! One RPG I'd love to recommend to everyone is Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age!

It's a turn-based RPG with a big world to explore and a wide variety of monsters to battle. The story is clichè with you being the chosen hero of light who must rid the world of monsters, but the lovable cast made up for it. The visuals and orchestral music are some of the best on the Switch.

Make no mistake, it's a meaty game with lots of side content to tackle-- my playthrough took me close to 90 hours, which was good value. There's a demo that's around 10 hours long if you'd like to try it out too.

Yeah one thing I forgot to mention was that all multiplatform games I will be getting on my ps4 :D but thanks for the recommendation i saw DQXI on sale a few days ago for like 12 Euro's so I will be getting that as well!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nightstream88 said:

With Breath of the Wild 2 delayed to 2023 hoping this means they can release both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on the Nintendo Switch, but not really counting on it.

Is it weird that I'm kind of hoping Oracle of Ages/Seasons get the Link's Awakening treatment this year too? Wasn't a fan of twilight princess, but would definitely want to play WW.

• Like 3

Had a slight feeling that Breath of the Wild 2 would get delayed since we've barely seen anything in terms of gameplay footage.

But I'm also hoping Nintendo would put out a remastered collection for the meantime (though I'm sure that's just wishful thinking). 

• Like 3

On 3/27/2022 at 5:30 AM, Johnathan994 said:

I just read the blog and, first of all, as a writer I'm glad you are writing it! Blogs are an awesome way of getting personal insight into games one might be interested in! But to be honest you had me convinced to get the game with the "The only thing you should be swinging is yourself, 180 degrees and out of here." ? Had me in tears! :D 

I forgot to mention that you can skip weeks of training and such to have the game do it yourself and jump straight from month to month, battle to battle. However, this robs you of opportunities to build relationships, recruit other members, and level up via side battles so it's not recommended if you are wanting to experience the game to it's totality. 

The game is definitely beatable though on Normal mode doing this, but I'm testing whether or not doing this is really feasible on higher difficulties (aka hard mode) on classic mode. I'm like 8 or 9 chapters in, and I am sorely underrated for everyone, broke with little money, and the only people who can do damage for the most part are my mages, archers (with the right equipment), Byleth (MC1) and Edelgard (MC2) which is about half my party. Haven't touched it in a while though, but I would say it's possible if your house head and Byleth are the focus of your party and if you can have them eat all the damage while others stay behind them and pick everyone off 1 by 1. Typical Fire Emblem Hard/Lunatic strategies if you're familiar with the modes. Just thought I'd mention that if you are strapped on time.

• Like 2

On one hand I'm relieved that Breath of The Wild's sequel got delayed because there's already way too much coming out this year as it is. lol

On the other hand I'm annoyed that more or the less the exact same thing that happened with the first game is happening with this one.

I'm at the point where I'd kind of prefer them to just announce things when they're confident/only a few months in advance because the amount of waiting has gotten ridiculous.

I'm sure this game will be great, but it better have a lot to set it apart from its predecessor to justify how long it's taking when it's still using the same overworld as the first game.

Hopefully they have something else planned as a "backup" of sorts to hold people over, like a collection and/or another remake of some kind.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Nightstream88 said:

With Breath of the Wild 2 delayed to 2023 hoping this means they can release both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on the Nintendo Switch, but not really counting on it.

Not surprised it got delayed since we hadn't heard anything. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Not surprised it got delayed since we hadn't heard anything. 

To be fair it seems like they've purposefully been drip feeding us information to keep things a mystery, and I wouldn't have expected anything on the game until E3 anyways.

Not surprised it got delayed either way, though, yeah.

We will probably still get a bigger trailer at E3, however, as they likely wanted to announce the delay ahead of time so as to not lessen the impact of a potential trailer there.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

To be fair it seems like they've purposefully been drip feeding us information to keep things a mystery, and I wouldn't have expected anything on the game until E3 anyways.

Not surprised it got delayed either way, though, yeah.

We will probably still get a bigger trailer at E3, however, as they likely wanted to announce the delay ahead of time so as to not lessen the impact of a potential trailer there.

I wonder if E3 we will finally get a title for it. It's clearly obvious that the title won't be "Breath of the Wild 2" My guess is that it will be something along the lines of Breath of the Skies or Winds of the Sky or something similar to go off the fact that this one will be exploring in the skies and land.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I forgot to mention that you can skip weeks of training and such to have the game do it yourself and jump straight from month to month, battle to battle. However, this robs you of opportunities to build relationships, recruit other members, and level up via side battles so it's not recommended if you are wanting to experience the game to it's totality. 

The game is definitely beatable though on Normal mode doing this, but I'm testing whether or not doing this is really feasible on higher difficulties (aka hard mode) on classic mode. I'm like 8 or 9 chapters in, and I am sorely underrated for everyone, broke with little money, and the only people who can do damage for the most part are my mages, archers (with the right equipment), Byleth (MC1) and Edelgard (MC2) which is about half my party. Haven't touched it in a while though, but I would say it's possible if your house head and Byleth are the focus of your party and if you can have them eat all the damage while others stay behind them and pick everyone off 1 by 1. Typical Fire Emblem Hard/Lunatic strategies if you're familiar with the modes. Just thought I'd mention that if you are strapped on time.

I never skip anything hahahaha I love RPG's because I get to sink into them and really breathe the world and the story :D I'm on chapter 3 right now, at the final battle of the month and I didn't really have any trouble so far. Playing on Hard-Classic :D Chose Black Eagles as my starting house as well and I really like all of the characters so far! Though I gotta admit, I miss Tharja ?

• Like 2