Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

In case you're curious about Steam Deck's size and weight compared to Switch, we got ours a few days ago. This is the 512 GB model with a "premium anti-glare etched glass screen". 

db107d5888256947488000cf14c55b6bd662f26b.jpg

d3faad7e382f5299db1594280d4597aed962860c.jpg0ae0bf514b4735e6374c226361feaaf31475acc4.jpg

It doesn't feel that heavy thanks to its shape (similar to Wii U Gamepad) maybe. Granted I didn't spend more than a few minutes playing on it yet. But husbando played for longer periods of time and said his hands didn't get any more tired than holding other handhelds. The coarse matte surface gives a good grip. The rear of the Steam Deck has 4 additional trigger buttons you can enable and configure for games and there's gyro for games that support it (for example Dark Souls 3 has support). The device came in a smartly shaped hard carrying case that fits the Deck perfectly. 
Performance was very good on the few games we tried (Dark Souls 3Valheim, Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator) and they all looked good. 

The OS has performance settings that you can apply universally or per game, which helps with battery life. For example you can limit the FPS to 30 for games that don't necessarily require higher frame rates. There's also possibility to customize your controls per game in highly detailed ways. 

3f3bf34cfbc8f273f884b6095cf5c3b2e25419f1.jpgb829ca53439833e2553a8ae25106c16b3108f4a9.jpg

So far it seems like a nice device if we ignore the bad first impression we got when doing the initial device setup. We connected to our wifi, the Deck downloaded some updates and restarted - after that it had forgotten the connection settings. After reconfiguring them we couldn't connect to the network anymore and thus couldn't complete the initial setup. Turns out there's some issue in the current Steam OS version that you can't connect to a hidden wifi network. We had to create a new network with a visible SSID on our router to get the Deck to connect and be able to use the device. Valve was very quick to respond to a support ticket with possible solutions (none of which worked though) and they'll hopefully manage to fix the wifi issue soon.

• Like 2

Interestingly our local grocery store had added Nintendo eShop cards in their selection. Bought one in hopes that we'd get store bonus from it but turns out it was excluded from the total value that awards bonuses. Meh. 

The last couple of days have been rainy and we didn't feel like going out with husbando (yes, we are made of sugar), I just finished Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story on Nintendo 3DS today and I was in the mood for playing something on Switch next. Then I remembered the sinister plot by Nintendo: the Groups feature displaying three titles in the preview tile… It had started to irk me that my "Otome" group was missing one game icon. So I put the eShop card in good use and corrected this eyesore of an incomplete group tile by purchasing a new otome game. 

4a651e58e400a70877c91b47d892ca360790476a

67b0d8d455750b3b3abdf02438e8e6ff6621c581.jpgf0483ee7f33da2b7c9ffd15520ea506d403a5b0a.jpg

I picked Variable Barricade that had been on my wishlist for a while now. I’m hoping it’s as funny as people say as I’m in the mood for something lighthearted (Triangle Strategy was too serious to my liking). At least the art style and color scheme of the game are right up my alley if the humor won’t land.

• Like 3

Finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 over the 3-day weekend and here are my overall thoughts.

I'll apologize in advance as a lot of this will be a compare/contrast to XC1. To begin, let's talk about the story a little and keep it non-spoiler for the most part. The first game was a story about vengeance, hope, and breaking out of fate. Where we live a life where we control our destiny and it's not predetermined. I've always loved stories about fate, destiny and mixing in a tough, sad story of vengeance really made a good mixture that had me kept going until the very end.

XC2 was more about the power of friendship and overcoming life's obstacles together. I think it also has interesting concepts about the circle of life and how our past memories and experiences makes us who we are. I thought the concept of blades and their masters was very interesting, and made for an interesting dynamic whenever blades treasured their memories the most despite being "immortal."

In the end though, I think I found the first game's story more compelling. Mostly because there were so many mysteries, twists, and turns that just made me keep playing. XC2 was good too... It was just a bit more predictable. Even the ending was a bit predictable because it uses a lot of common tropes seen in movies and other games. 

The gameplay in XC2 was much more fun imo. XC2 gave you a lot of flexibility with your teams and allowed you to create your own strategy. XC1 forced you to use certain characters together as teams since only two characters had decent healing abilities (Shulk and Sharla).

For example, I loved to use Morag with 3 Tanks to keep all the aggro on her and used 3 tanks that could block 60-70% of attacks which made her almost unkillable. Furthermore, I loved Rex using Pyra/Mythra with 2 healers like Boreas and Kora. It gave me a lot of flexibility because Pyra and Mythra were so powerful that I could use Rex as a pseudo support character with plenty of ways to heal the party. The last character I used was Zeke and normally put him with 2 attackers and a healer. I say this and this was only one of many strategies I used throughout the game.

XC1 just didn't have that room to play around. I pretty much used Shulk and Sharla most of the game in my party and switched between the other characters for that third spot (usually Reyn). I did enjoy another party where you could debuff your enemy with two characters and make them pretty much explode with damage from Riki, but this wasn't nearly as consistent against the strongest enemies in the game as the lack of healing was apparent.

As for characters, BOTH games really nailed this part. Both good guys and bad guys for both games were amazing. They were all interesting with good backstories that were at least decently explored if you did side missions or at least heart to hearts (affinity events).

In the end, I think if you loved XC1, you'll love XC2 and vice versa. Monolith Soft are just masters of creating interesting open worlds to explore and despite the differences, I would 100% recommend both! Both were amazing games that has me hyped for the next game!

• Like 4

Ok so I've bought my second Switch (Original not Oled) after giving my original SXOS modded switch away a few years back. Remarkably this is a new but really low serial number hackable Switch though this time I'll play legit. Why do I suddenly want this? Well after playing SMT 5 on PC through emulation and various other Switch games I though it was time to re visit the switch. And what did I buy with it? Well SMT 5 of course, Mario Allstars 3d because I love Sunshine and 64 and may also like Galaxy without the stupid Wii Mote, also Got Grandia HD. I had a laugh seeing Mario Allstars selling for thousands of dollars, I paid $45.

Now you guys have been plodding along for quite a while with this console, I'm interested in exclusives only at the moment so any suggestions would be great. Oh I got some weird trucking game with it as well that is somewhat addictive, Snow something, sorry at work.

I also bought a New 2DS LL from Japan and god damn I love it without the 3d screen, So much more comfortable for me and allot lighter. Of course Insta modded it when I realized that only my JP carts worked on it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Ok so I've bought my second Switch (Original not Oled) after giving my original SXOS modded switch away a few years back. Remarkably this is a new but really low serial number hackable Switch though this time I'll play legit. Why do I suddenly want this? Well after playing SMT 5 on PC through emulation and various other Switch games I though it was time to re visit the switch. And what did I buy with it? Well SMT 5 of course, Mario Allstars 3d because I love Sunshine and 64 and may also like Galaxy without the stupid Wii Mote, also Got Grandia HD. I had a laugh seeing Mario Allstars selling for thousands of dollars, I paid $45.

Now you guys have been plodding along for quite a while with this console, I'm interested in exclusives only at the moment so any suggestions would be great. Oh I got some weird trucking game with it as well that is somewhat addictive, Snow something, sorry at work.

I also bought a New 2DS LL from Japan and god damn I love it without the 3d screen, So much more comfortable for me and allot lighter. Of course Insta modded it when I realized that only my JP carts worked on it.

Metroid Dread was very cool, I enjoyed it a lot. I don't only play exclusives so I don't have a lot of exclusive recommendations.

I have 2 regular-model 2DSes for my kids and a New 3DS XL and backup New 3DS XL for myself. I've been keeping an eye out for a New 2DS XL since I never use 3D mode and I want to have some more spare hardware. I have a new battery for my N3DS and it helps a lot. All 4 of these systems are hacked. A hacked 3DS/2DS elevates what's probably my favorite portable to one of my favorite places to play period. Sorry Vita, I'll always love you but the 2/3DS is just that much better with access to DS, GB/C/A, NES, and SNES games with "native" controls. I took a break from 3DS for a couple of years I think, when the Switch launched. But I dug it out recently and I've been playing it daily again for a while now. My main game currently is Dragon Quest VIII, which I'm loving. I played DQXI:S on Switch as my first DQ, and this is just as great. I'm on the final story boss and it's a doozy. It might be time to grind a few more levels...

My only real complaint against the 3DS is that I had multiple systems that scratched the top screen from the bottom screen's plastic frame pushing into it. I can't remember if it happened on my original model 3DS but it definitely happened on the 3DS XL and the New 3DS XL (the only one of the 3DS line that I never had was the non-XL New 3DS). I always use screen protectors but that always bugged me.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

@Eyjabria Any idea how it compares in size to the OLED?

I don't have an OLED yet but the size difference between a regular and OLED Switch is just 3 millimeters in width according to Nintendo. So comparing the regular Switch to Steam Deck should give a pretty good idea of the size difference.

Steam Deck: 298mm x 117mm x 49mm, approx. 669 grams

OLED Switch: 242mm x 102mm x 13.9mm, approx. 420 grams with Joy-Cons attached

2 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

More Gen 9/Scarlet/Violet news coming tomorrow

My guesses as to what will be shown:

Starter gameplay

Region name

Gimmick revealed (?)

Legendaries revealed (?)

Some more new Pokemon

Some new regional forms

All of the above pls.

• Like 1

I've been out of the Pokemon loop for a long time now. Haven't played since the Gold and Silver days...was super into it in Gen 1 and 2, then just stopped caring. So I got Sword recently as I won an eBay auction for it...so we'll see if that gets me back in the groove or not before Scarlet/Violet come out. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Metroid Dread was very cool, I enjoyed it a lot. I don't only play exclusives so I don't have a lot of exclusive recommendations.

I have 2 regular-model 2DSes for my kids and a New 3DS XL and backup New 3DS XL for myself. I've been keeping an eye out for a New 2DS XL since I never use 3D mode and I want to have some more spare hardware. I have a new battery for my N3DS and it helps a lot. All 4 of these systems are hacked. A hacked 3DS/2DS elevates what's probably my favorite portable to one of my favorite places to play period. Sorry Vita, I'll always love you but the 2/3DS is just that much better with access to DS, GB/C/A, NES, and SNES games with "native" controls. I took a break from 3DS for a couple of years I think, when the Switch launched. But I dug it out recently and I've been playing it daily again for a while now. My main game currently is Dragon Quest VIII, which I'm loving. I played DQXI:S on Switch as my first DQ, and this is just as great. I'm on the final story boss and it's a doozy. It might be time to grind a few more levels...

My only real complaint against the 3DS is that I had multiple systems that scratched the top screen from the bottom screen's plastic frame pushing into it. I can't remember if it happened on my original model 3DS but it definitely happened on the 3DS XL and the New 3DS XL (the only one of the 3DS line that I never had was the non-XL New 3DS). I always use screen protectors but that always bugged me.

Metroid Dread is now on my watch list. 

There are so many things I like about the New 2ds LL and the main thing is no 3D. It's so light weight which I like but also somewhat fragile in comparison to the 3DS XL. The top screen is shrunk back a little into the frame so no scratches should happen. I went LL as I have quite a few JP carts bought from Book Off stores around Tokyo. Another bonus is that my R4 Cart still works and I've added the widescreen patch for DS games. It took about 2 hours for me to mod but I could do another now in say 10 minutes. What I do know is that Soul Hackers is probably my favorite SMT game to date and it's in English for 3DS.

And, My switch has arrived and sure enough serial number XAW7000535***** is unpatched so therefore hackable. I'm selling this before I even start and then buying an OLED. I just don't know how as it's brand new, Must have sat at the bottom of a pile since 2017.

• Like 2

The new legendaries look absolutely sick, although I think that I like Koraidon (S) just a tad more because the conjoined thruster legs on Miraidon (V) look a bit off to me...

Both are fantastic looking, though, at least imo. Love the "past vs. future" theme that both they and the versions themselves have going on as well.

The two professors - especially Sada - are beautiful too. ?

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

I pretty much agree with everything in the post above this lol

Game looks FANTASTIC and graphics appear to mostly be a MASSIVE improvement. 4 player online co-op is just..... *chefs kiss*

New Pokemon are hit or miss I guess... but I don't hate them.

Legendaries though.............. ALL OF MY YES. POSSIBLY THE BEST LEGENDARIES IN A LONG TIME. I also like the Scarlet one more but I do pretty much like them both.

'raidon'.... Ride... On.... TOTALLY NOT A HINT I'M SURE. ?

Seems to be a Past vs Future and/or Tradition vs Innovation theme with how the Professors are dressed and how the legendaries look.

BTW... the supposed rumor/leak for the Legendary types are Dragon/Fighting (Scarlet) and Dragon/Electric (Violet). Not confirmed obviously though.

SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS AS WELL

We still don't know the region name, the gimmick, or regional forms though... but that kid's shirt is definitely hinting at a regional Tauros (also rumored/leaked). Kind of weird... but hopefully they'll be more consistent with info now...? Time will tell I guess.

• Like 3

Ordered the double pack (did the same for Sw/Sh, and SD/SP.) I am curious at the start when the green starter was fighting what i assume was a rival, they had a little electric thing? i only watched the trailer once without breaking too much down though...

Also i will not settle for a male Sprigatito. She must be female ?

EDIT: PAWMI IS ADORABLE!

Screenshot_20220601-162153_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Infected Elite
Added Electric pokemon
  • Like 3

I'm really interested to see this open world concept and how 4-player co-op works. +1 to the hype train. However, this trailer left me with more questions than answers....

Graphics are a massive improvement, but how is the pop-ins, pop-outs/rendering?

What's the gimmick in this game. I saw Coalossal so is that hinting at a return of Dynamax?

What Pokemon are available from previous games? I saw a lot of reoccurring Pokemon so possibly all?

How will the 4-player co-op work?

Do you see shiny Pokemon in the overworld?

Is online ranked battling coming back?

Is this one going to be more difficult?

As a big Pokemon fan, these trailers are always torture.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

What's the gimmick in this game. I saw Coalossal so is that hinting at a return of Dynamax?

What Pokemon are available from previous games? I saw a lot of reoccurring Pokemon so possibly all?

Part of me believes that the gimmick this time around is the fact that the games are open-world, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong on this being the case either. lmao

Gimmicks are usually tossed to the side and eventually removed outright, but if this is the gimmick this time around it's most likely - and hopefully - here to stay.

I don't think Dynamaxing will be back, however.

There's a decent few returning Gen VIII Pokémon shown in the most recent trailer, but I don't believe that is in of itself an indication of anything whatsoever.

Game Freak has said that we won't have all Pokémon available from SW/SH onwards, so I extremely doubt we'd see all of the existing ones from past games here.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

In all honesty part of me believes that the gimmick this time around is the games being open world, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong there either. lmao

Obviously gimmicks are tossed to the side and eventually removed rather than kept, but if this is the gimmick this time around it's most likely - and hopefully - here to stay.

I don't think Dynamaxing will be back, however. There's a decent few Generation VIII Pokemon shown, but I don't believe that is an indication of anything at all in of itself.

They've said that they won't have all Pokemon available nor tradeable from SW/SH onwards, so I extremely doubt we'd see all of the existing Pokemon from past games here.

True, a true open world could very well be the gimmick. I haven't given that much consideration. I also wonder if they will be bringing anything from Arceus such as frostbite instead of freeze or any other changes to status ailments.

I guess I should rephrase when I say "all." I meant all from previous games on switch (let's go, BDSP, SW/SH, Arceus). Though, I think seeing Pokemon like the Mareep line is a positive sign that more Pokemon will be available than ever before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

True, a true open world could very well be the gimmick. I haven't given that much consideration. I also wonder if they will be bringing anything from Arceus such as frostbite instead of freeze or any other changes to status ailments.

I guess I should rephrase when I say "all." I meant all from previous games on switch (let's go, BDSP, SW/SH, Arceus). Though, I think seeing Pokemon like the Mareep line is a positive sign that more Pokemon will be available than ever before.

think I saw something akin to the sneaking mechanic from Legends at one point in the trailer, but I might be mistaken/misremembering.

Either way I'm - obviously - very curious as to what will be carried over from Arceus as well. Hoping for a decent bit of its mechanics to have been carried over at the very least.

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't be surprised if you're correct on that last part, yeah.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

Super Mario All*stars arrived today in the mail. Luckily I still have my pro controller from my previous switch. Nice to play Galaxy without the wand thingy and Sunshine is fantastic with the right stick controllers reversed, was late to work,,,,,,,,,,,

Edit: And holy f, Finally I get to play Skyward sword without motion control. I don't regret getting rid of the switch when I did, I also don't regret buying it again.

Edited by Z1MZUM
  • Like 3

I don’t know what is up with my “sixth sense” when it comes to games I start playing. Last year it was 7th Dragon III Code: VFD that referred to a deadly pandemic happening in 2020-2021. Today I started playing Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux on Nintendo 3DS and at the start of the game I’m greeted with a news broadcast stating: “A new weapon seems to have been used in the increasingly prolonged Eastern European hostilities”. I wonder what’s next...

220c44bc3ee8826d33d9550ea702591f6e81d582.jpg

Finished Ys Origin (my first Ys series game) on PC today. I'm a fan of fixed camera in games, the gameplay was really fun and the soundtrack was super good. I liked it so much I might try a new playthrough with another character and I also wishlisted Ys: Ark of Napishtim. At some point I was considering Ys Origin for Switch but got it from Steam for a few euros.

On Switch front I'm playing Variable Barricade mainly in the evenings before I fall asleep. It's been a pretty nice visual novel so far. Nothing outrageously funny happened yet but I have my fingers crossed for more hilarious things.

• Like 1

https://www.ign.com/articles/pokemon-scarlet-violet-legendary-gym-motorsports

interesting take on Pokemon Violet/Scarlet. Could be accurate too. They all have a gimmick recently

Sun/Moon.... 4 islands or whatever it was

LetsGo Pikachu/Eevee: Pokemon Go inspired

Pokemon Sword/Shield: Dynamax

Pokemon Arceus: Open world 

maybe this one has some form of racing or something. Theme wise anyways... gyms plus Arceus mechanics etc.

• Like 1

I haven't been on this thread in years, or PSNP really much at all either, but since I'm on and you're on the home page

idk I barely play Switch and haven't for years. Fortnite is liek the one thing and even that I played 3 or so matches all last season, and on the Xbox at that.

But I did buy the GTA trilogy around Christmas last year on Switch. It works serviceably. I have no real problems, like, they're still great games at their core even if the ports are shit. That being said, the night before Ray Liotta died coincidentally, I finally installed Vice City on my Vita (I potentially may have the last install of Vice City in the world before his death, what an obscure fun fact), and goddamn, it's so much better than the "definitive" edition, I put the reVC version on my Wii U ages ago but on account of it being a Wii U I never really use it, so I forget, but damn, the work the guys at reVC and re3 did only to have Rockstar stomp 'em out and shit out this defective edition, truly sad, absolutely fantastic work those guys did and if you've not already, definitely try their stuff out, the (New) 3DS running GTA 3 and Vice City was a sight to see. Vita is impressive, sure, and they even have the Android port of SA on there, but seeing the 3DS run shit it was so clearly not meant to do is fascinating. Like there's so many better ways to play Tony Hawk (also got that on Switch, good port, load times are a bit long coming from the Series X but otherwise, good job) but playing THPS2 for PS1 on a 3DS is just my kind of stupid fun. That being said, I bought the iOS port of THPS2 for my iPod touch over a decade ago so, know what, I don't know what I was really getting at, but point being, I sold my Switch ages ago and got a Switch Lite instead, never played on the tele anwyay, so a bit bigger battery, nice new fixed joycons (in theory...in actuality I've seen my Fortnite guy drift since I got the thing like 2 years ago) and a hundred or so bucks in the pocket, why not. Then I found out people are after launch ones to mod and I could have charged a lot more than what I did (I think I said 400 for the unit and an extra (unused) dock I had laying around, supposedly could  have easily got 600, oh well, live and learn. Anyway point is, fuck Pokemon.

• Like 2