Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

On 8/10/2022 at 3:23 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Really interesting team imo, I used Rex, Morag, and Zeke through most of my playthrough. Had 3 defenders with Morag, 2 healers and an attacker with Rex, and 2 attackers and a healer with Zeke. 

It was kind of a bizarre setup, but Morag was just so hard to kill for any boss because the defenders I had blocked like 65-70% of attacks and I was good enough with Rex to heal her if she got low health, which rarely happened.

I usually went with Morag as well. But I switched her up with Tora because of Poppi QT Pi. Just thought it'd be appropriate to end the game with the characters that I liked the most.

I'm on Chapter 3 of Xenoblade 3. So far, so good. Music is incredible. Starting to warm up to the new chain attack mechanic as well. I can tell it's going to get extremely powerful later, but getting used to fighting enemies without relying on it, since I know chain attack music will overwrite boss themes. I don't want that, even if I have to miss out on the bonus exp from overkill.

Starting to understand the bigger picture with what's going on with the consuls. I think this story is gonna be quite the tearjerker. For now though, I'm mostly just clearing story to the point where I can accept more side quests and explore the world more. Making everybody use classes they're not good at so I can max them and give them more options for master skills/arts is really fun too.

Xenoblade 3 really is an amalgamation of the best aspects of 1 and 2. I won't be surprised if it becomes my favourite game before long. The soundtrack is certainly in the running so far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

I usually went with Morag as well. But I switched her up with Tora because of Poppi QT Pi. Just thought it'd be appropriate to end the game with the characters that I liked the most.

I'm on Chapter 3 of Xenoblade 3. So far, so good. Music is incredible. Starting to warm up to the new chain attack mechanic as well. I can tell it's going to get extremely powerful later, but getting used to fighting enemies without relying on it, since I know chain attack music will overwrite boss themes. I don't want that, even if I have to miss out on the bonus exp from overkill.

Starting to understand the bigger picture with what's going on with the consuls. I think this story is gonna be quite the tearjerker. For now though, I'm mostly just clearing story to the point where I can accept more side quests and explore the world more. Making everybody use classes they're not good at so I can max them and give them more options for master skills/arts is really fun too.

Xenoblade 3 really is an amalgamation of the best aspects of 1 and 2. I won't be surprised if it becomes my favourite game before long. The soundtrack is certainly in the running so far.

Yeah, the soundtrack really feels like the best of both games, and I like the fact that the story feels more like 1 than 2. It really feels like Monolith Soft picked out the best things from the series and crammed it into this game. I've definitely been fond towards a few classes, but I'll save my thoughts and post it later once I get classes to level 20.

I just got to Chapter 5, and I can say that chain attacks become a big mechanic in the game, and you will likely end up building your team around it. I normally wait to do it until the very last sliver of health to maximize the bonus XP. Personally, that's what I would recommend.

Also, I want to note that the game opens up very early and can lead to over-leveling. Personally, I am not against this as it allowed me to hunt down some strong unique enemies which has always been one of my favorite things to do in the series. However, you can end up being 20 levels too strong for everything in the story.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'll wait for reviews and decide from there. It does look interesting though. Kind of sounds like Final Fantasy meets harvest moon. Lol.

Yeah haha thats sort of where I am sitting too. Considering Bayo 3 the week before, pokemon 2 weeks after, Gungrave nov 3, and obviously Ragnarok. That is an absolute tight spot to be put in for a new IP

• Like 1

Been playing Rune Factory 4 Special recently and I've been enjoying a lot.

I like the relaxing feel of the game where everyday you're tasked to do errands for the townsfolk while taking care of your own farm. It was overwhelming at first learning all of the farming mechanics but in the end it was easy to grasp (it's very newcomer friendly). There's even action-RPG segments where you're hunting monsters, gathering resources, levelling up, and exploring dungeons, all of which were fun. 

The visuals are... definitely from a 3DS game but the colorful backgrounds and artstyle do a fine job of hooking you into the game's world. I'm still early into the game, so I can't wait to play more of it.

I don't know what's funny, the story's humor or the fact that I'm playing it alongside God of War lol.

@ZitMeatloaf: Happy to see you enjoyed the Nintendo NYC store! I've been to it a couple of times back in 2012-2013 and I remember getting Kirby's Dream Collection for the Wii when it came out. I also remember getting a Mario wallet and some T-shirts too. The store looks way different than it was back in the day (the statues look cool) so I'm hoping to visit it in the future.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, NullRay85 said:

The store looks way different than it was back in the day (the statues look cool) so I'm hoping to visit it in the future.

There are also statues of Luigi and Toad (you can see Luigi on the far left of my Bowser picture), but they're in an inaccessible spot at the bottom of the staircase which makes it difficult to get a good photo of them. Also note the pipes and piranha plant behind Mario!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Its not getting a physical NA PS4 release.

No, it only did for PS5. Obviously will have to go digital. 

8 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Its worth it to get a Switch nowadays? I havent see any news about the next Nintendo console but dont know how many years could have the Switch left?

Its better to buy the normal version, OLED or Lite? Thanks!

I'd go with OLED, especially if you intend to play in handheld. Nintendo hasn't given any indicators of what comes next, but likely won't be before next year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I'd go with OLED, especially if you intend to play in handheld. Nintendo hasn't given any indicators of what comes next, but likely won't be before next year. 

I intend to use it docked, not too much as handheld, but I suppose that there isnt an only docked cheaper version right (if Im not mistaken the light version is onky handheld, right?)

If I want to play with another person MK8 I need to buy another controller or the joy con can be used for 2 players? I have a pro controller from WiiU but dont know if it is supported?

Thanks!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Its worth it to get a Switch nowadays? I havent see any news about the next Nintendo console but dont know how many years could have the Switch left?

Its better to buy the normal version, OLED or Lite? Thanks!

As a general rule, I'd say if you think a console has at least two years of life in it, it's worth a purchase (I bought my PS4 in 2018 and am getting great use from it). The Switch is still selling like crazy, has a huge catalog of awesome first party games (and a few third party exclusives) with more to come, and I think easily has more than two years of full support left in its life cycle. If you think you'll enjoy it, I'd say go for it.

The only word of caution I'll give is that Joy-con drift is a very real thing. I've replaced the analog stick on two of mine; if you're cursed with a drifting controller and are comfortable working with fiddly small repairs, it's much cheaper to make the repairs yourself. I'd avoid the Switch Lite for that reason alone, it can't be opened up very easily for joystick repairs.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

I intend to use it docked, not too much as handheld, but I suppose that there isnt an only docked cheaper version right (if Im not mistaken the light version is onky handheld, right?)

If I want to play with another person MK8 I need to buy another controller or the joy con can be used for 2 players? I have a pro controller from WiiU but dont know if it is supported?

Thanks!

I'd say go with a standard if you are going docked more than 70% of the time. I have a standard and it's held up fine for 3+ years now. Hardly have any issues running games on it either and use it a ton.

The fact that they already said that Splatoon 3 will be supported with new content for two years makes me think it has at least 2 years left. With how much the switch sells, I think it will be very much like the 3DS which just slowly died off over time. Lots of indie devs support the switch too so I think we'll see support for a long time and first party support for at least the next two years.

You can use your pro Wii U controller, but you have to buy an adapter. It comes with a pair of joy cons which can be used to play multiplayer on Mario Kart with just one pair, but the controllers are tiny so it's not the best way to play imo. I did it a few times for Mario Party and it was pretty hard to control sometimes, but you get used to it I guess after a while.

There's also the option to buy some off brand controllers... I don't think it's a terrible idea to look into it you don't want to spend 60-$70 on a second controller.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'd say go with a standard if you are going docked more than 70% of the time. I have a standard and it's held up fine for 3+ years now. Hardly have any issues running games on it either and use it a ton.

The fact that they already said that Splatoon 3 will be supported with new content for two years makes me think it has at least 2 years left. With how much the switch sells, I think it will be very much like the 3DS which just slowly died off over time. Lots of indie devs support the switch too so I think we'll see support for a long time and first party support for at least the next two years.

You can use your pro Wii U controller, but you have to buy an adapter. It comes with a pair of joy cons which can be used to play multiplayer on Mario Kart with just one pair, but the controllers are tiny so it's not the best way to play imo. I did it a few times for Mario Party and it was pretty hard to control sometimes, but you get used to it I guess after a while.

There's also the option to buy some off brand controllers... I don't think it's a terrible idea to look into it you don't want to spend 60-$70 on a second controller.

Thanks for the answers.

The standard version has the same hardware than the oled version for the docked setup? Or is the docked hardware of the oled better (ram or something better) I remember the New 3DS could move games that the nornal 3DS couldnt

• Like 2

I can't wait for Splatoon 3 to come out. ^_^ 

Put over 1,000 hours into Splatoon 2 already. I'm itching for the sequel. 

I'm getting both the U.S and Japanese release of Splatoon 3 thanks to my boyfriend  (He pre-ordered both for himself and I) <3 

We'll be playing this game quite a bit. ?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

The standard version has the same hardware than the oled version for the docked setup? Or is the docked hardware of the oled better (ram or something better) I remember the New 3DS could move games that the nornal 3DS couldnt

The only difference is the OLED screen, all of the internal specs are the same as the standard model.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Thanks for the answers.

There's no performance boost in the OLED switch, just better visuals in handheld only. It's the exact same hardware to hook up to. Meaning, you could take my docking station (for the standard version) and put a OLED switch in it. It'll still work and still look the same docked. 

I also looked it up and you can get a Wii U pro controller adapter for $20 online. I would definitely go this route if it is still in good condition. Assuming you buy a Switch ofc. ;)

Hope that helps. There's plenty of other people here who will definitely help if you are looking for options on controllers, games, accessories, etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

oh well

3 hours ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Thanks!

handheld mode is pretty meh anyway. Battery life isn't long, system isn't too comfortable to hold either. I suggest a grip set fornthe switch at joycons, or a pro controller and just play on the tv.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Thanks for the answers.

I mainly got the OLED for the pretty display since I play a decent amount in handheld. But if you aren't, definitely would just go with the normal one. Though this one looks pretty cool if you can find it.

untitled-1657115080436.png  

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 3

Good night, more questions...

Can I have an account of the NA Store of the eshop even if I don't live in the US or it is region locked?

With the closure of the stores (I remember that the WiiU store was closed or will be closed soon) can I still download my bought games after the closure or the delisting of the games?

I remember that my 3DS had the damn account linked to the console, so when my console died I had to call for like 2 hours to support to had it activated on my new 3DS... Is that still like that?

Thanks!

Edited by DeepEyes7
  • Like 1

Anyone else have trouble with the joycons in handheld mode? I love my Switch OLED so far, but god, the controllers leave my hands in pain. The PS5 controller is a dream compared to it. Come to think of it, pretty much all of Nintendo's recent consoles' controllers (3DS, DS, Wii U, and arguably the Wii) have just been bricks. 

4 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Kirby's Dream Buffet is quite fun and adorable. Played it with my nephew and he had a ball. Think it should've been F2P, but it's all right. For me, worth the $15.

I'm glad it's not, personally; the other f2p Kirby game was super basic and had really annoying monetization systems. 15$ is a fair price for a small game IMO.

• Like 2