Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

On 18/08/2022 at 1:40 AM, DeepEyes7 said:

Good night, more questions...

Can I have an account of the NA Store of the eshop even if I don't live in the US or it is region locked?

With the closure of the stores (I remember that the WiiU store was closed or will be closed soon) can I still download my bought games after the closure or the delisting of the games?

I remember that my 3DS had the damn account linked to the console, so when my console died I had to call for like 2 hours to support to had it activated on my new 3DS... Is that still like that?

Thanks!

Personally I have no experience of using different region's eShop but I hear people have been swapping the Switch eShop region to purchase games that are available only in Japanese eShop for example. So it should be possible. 

You can still download your purchases from the 3DS/Wii U eShop after their closure for the foreseeable future. Same kind of approach will probably apply for Switch in the future when Nintendo moves on from supporting Switch eShop. 

All eShop purchases are linked to your Nintendo account and you can use the same account on multiple Switch consoles. I use my account on two different Switches currently.

2 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Anyone else have trouble with the joycons in handheld mode? I love my Switch OLED so far, but god, the controllers leave my hands in pain. The PS5 controller is a dream compared to it. Come to think of it, pretty much all of Nintendo's recent consoles' controllers (3DS, DS, Wii U, and arguably the Wii) have just been bricks. 

I haven't had issues with the Joy-Cons myself (I play handheld most of the time) but have heard they're uncomfortable for many people. There are additional peripherals to help with ergonomy like the Hori Split Pad Pro and similar grip products.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Johnathan994 said:

Hey guys, how often are games like Triange Strategy, Octopath Traveler etc on sale? I am in a mood for an old school like rpg since we have tactics and other great RPG's of the same ilk coming out soon :D 

No sales for Triangle Strategy in eShop so far: https://psprices.com/region-de/game/4872970/triangle-strategy

But Octopath Traveler has been on sale quite often: https://psprices.com/region-de/game/2359382/octopath-traveler

Octopath was 50% off during Steam summer sale too and I might double dip on it when it goes on sale there next time.

1 hour ago, Johnathan994 said:

Hey guys, how often are games like Triange Strategy, Octopath Traveler etc on sale? I am in a mood for an old school like rpg since we have tactics and other great RPG's of the same ilk coming out soon :D 

If you don't mind renting and are in the US, I recommend GameFly. On Playstation it's harder to justify because games constantly get 50%+ off sales, but it's a life saver for Nintendo games. No way am I paying 50-60$ for a singleplayer game I'll be done with in a few weeks.

• Like 1

Slowly getting back into XEnbolade 2 so I can finish it before November which is when I intend to pick up 3.

God, I love all the xeno games. I just hate the gacha mechanic of blade 2. Puts too much of stress on  me even thogh its not like I need to play optimized and should jsuth ave fun . REally hopy they port X in the future

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

No sales for Triangle Strategy in eShop so far: https://psprices.com/region-de/game/4872970/triangle-strategy

But Octopath Traveler has been on sale quite often: https://psprices.com/region-de/game/2359382/octopath-traveler

Octopath was 50% off during Steam summer sale too and I might double dip on it when it goes on sale there next time.

Ah! Awesome! Thanks so much for the info, I will keep an eye on it :D 

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

If you don't mind renting and are in the US, I recommend GameFly. On Playstation it's harder to justify because games constantly get 50%+ off sales, but it's a life saver for Nintendo games. No way am I paying 50-60$ for a singleplayer game I'll be done with in a few weeks.

To be honest single player experiences are the only ones I pay 50-60$ for, especially when it's a game that I know I will return to :D 

• Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 6:40 PM, DeepEyes7 said:

Can I have an account of the NA Store of the eshop even if I don't live in the US or it is region locked?

The Switch is not region locked. You can play games from any region, just like PS4 and PS5. This includes physical games, which is handy if a game only gets a physical release in Japan.

You can also make alt accounts in other regions to access their eShops. Here's just one guide of many on how to do that. You'll need to provide funds in the local currency, however.

Regarding store closures, the Wii shop was completely inaccessible for a few months, but Nintendo finally fixed it and made it so users can download previously purchased content, even though it's been several years since you could make new purchases. So I imagine the same will be true of the WiiU and 3DS.

Sorry I can't help with your last question, but hopefully this is at least some help.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Johnathan994 said:

Just to parrot what @Eyjabria said, personally, I've seen Triangle Strategy on sale on the eShop, Amazon, and Best Buy several times and have yet to see Octopath Traveler on sale since they did the 2 games for $100 deal a couple of years back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnathan994 said:

If you want to play Octopath right away and are able to play on Steam, Eneba currently has global keys available for about $26 USD. Eneba has official partnerships with Konami and Team17, so as a 3rd party PC key seller they are legit (Sketchy sites like g2a are not legit. They may sell working keys, but the sellers probably acquired them illegally). Every key I've purchased from Eneba has worked.

If you want to play it on Switch, 3rd party sellers on Amazon will sometimes sell it for about $50 USD.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
More info
  • Like 1

I've completed the routes for 3 of the 4 love interests in Variable Barricade and started Nayuta's route last night. Each of the characters have 4 different endings (bad end, marry end, love end and alternative end) and in addition to these there seems to be a true ending for the whole game. 
I've been enjoying the game a lot as all the characters have their own distinct personalities and quirks. Even though the guys are rivals there's a real sense of camaraderie between them and their interaction adds a satisfying flavor to the characters' invididual stories. Hibari is a great protagonist, a tsundere with a strong will but she's burdened with the expectations that come with being a heir to an influential family. 

The game is described as romantic comedy but it has drama and it portrays real life issues quite nicely. What I really like is the humor in the game. It's not in your face all the time but in subtle doses. Taiga's euphemisms made me and my husband laugh out loud.

a13de31a943ea7acf03e118d6ca378b86f145c0d.jpg2ab92a18ff7d3185ea1744ef099c86d29ccef503.jpge931eb99eb22a304473e8f60f105990c9c9945f0.jpgb811a4a55969485029fcedde5326185b9f6fb749.jpg

75e0e32ffc657078fc6de5eeb819ec13f01c2604.jpg0d25b84a3f916186963a0ebe563d63a9e6b0344e.jpg88f7aabd826c7d4ef8c47d42d5a8cd07e25eb0df.jpg

I find it peculiar that I've taken a shine to otome games as I'm probably the least romantic person on Earth. But I adore the art style in many of the games and the stories are usually interesting and well written - visual novels are a great genre to play when going to sleep too. I still avoid the titles that are described as having a lot of romance over plot as I have a feeling they wouldn't keep my interest for long. My husband likes to buy the games for me and he enjoys watching me play them. The next game we'll get is probably Piofiore as we are both interested in seeing what kind of a character the famous "trashbando" Yang is.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 8:57 PM, ZitMeatloaf said:

So the family took a week-long trip to NYC for one last hurrah before the end of summer, and naturally I made everyone go to the Nintendo Store! There are only two in the world (Tokyo being the other location, of course), so I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity. Although honestly, everyone was excited to check it out.

My family went there about 6 months ago and we didn't make it to the Nintendo Store. We did get to the LEGO Store in Rockefeller Center (which was great), but we'll definitely have to do Nintendo next trip. Nice pics!

• Like 3

So... I downloaded the Splatoon 3 Splatfest World Premiere for this weekend. Because it's free and that's the best kind of price. Even though I finally have 3DS back (THANK GOD) I still might try it out. Just be aware that I'm likely going to be shit at the game and I still won't likely buy or play the full game.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Not really interested in Splatoon 3. My next Switch exclusive will be Harvestella.

I didn't feel like taking a look at the demo Splatfest. Online subscription requirement was the first one to kill my enthusiasm, then I read the game mode was some new confusing thing with 3 teams and one team defending an area instead of the traditional 4 vs 4 Turf War. I can't even imagine how difficult it might be for colorblind people having to keep track of 3 different colors now. Splatoon used to be one of my favorite games but I'm not sure about the direction they're taking with the new entry in the series...

I spent my weekend playing other games and started Golden Sun: The Lost Age on Wii U Virtual Console.

• Like 2

Gamefly's offering 10$ for pre-ordering Splatoon 3 and I'm eager to try it since I missed out on 2 and was a big fan of 1, so I'll probably pull the trigger on it once I get next month's money. The first game singlehandedly made me hold onto my Wii U a lot longer than I would have otherwise, so I'm eager to be able to dip into the franchise again. Do wish Nintendo games had achievements, though, as it's much harder to motivate myself to play Nintendo games as Playstation games always have that feeling that I'm working towards an overarching goal by playing them that Nintendo games lack.

• Like 3

On 2022-08-21 at 4:21 AM, Eyjabria said:

I've completed the routes for 3 of the 4 love interests in Variable Barricade and started Nayuta's route last night. Each of the characters have 4 different endings (bad end, marry end, love end and alternative end) and in addition to these there seems to be a true ending for the whole game. 
I've been enjoying the game a lot as all the characters have their own distinct personalities and quirks. Even though the guys are rivals there's a real sense of camaraderie between them and their interaction adds a satisfying flavor to the characters' invididual stories. Hibari is a great protagonist, a tsundere with a strong will but she's burdened with the expectations that come with being a heir to an influential family. 

The game is described as romantic comedy but it has drama and it portrays real life issues quite nicely. What I really like is the humor in the game. It's not in your face all the time but in subtle doses. Taiga's euphemisms made me and my husband laugh out loud.

I find it peculiar that I've taken a shine to otome games as I'm probably the least romantic person on Earth. But I adore the art style in many of the games and the stories are usually interesting and well written - visual novels are a great genre to play when going to sleep too. I still avoid the titles that are described as having a lot of romance over plot as I have a feeling they wouldn't keep my interest for long. My husband likes to buy the games for me and he enjoys watching me play them. The next game we'll get is probably Piofiore as we are both interested in seeing what kind of a character the famous "trashbando" Yang is.

I feel like this is the game that might get me back into otome (funny enough, I'm not a romantic person AT ALL either). I've played quite a few on Vita but then I just kinda... got bored of them? Collar x Malice is the only one I tend to replay from time to time (probably because it's plot over romance). This one actually sounds interesting after looking into it! Shame it got localized too late for a Vita release in the West, though! A good MC makes all the difference (I can't stand those like the one in Amnesia. She's basically a doormat).

On my end, I just ordered the third volume of Prinny Presents. Really takes me back to my college days.

Haven't played strategy games in a while so I'm expecting a lot of stupid deaths due to my terrible decisions, ha. I'd like to go back to using my Switch more. I mean, trophies do feel super rewarding (I mostly play jRPGs so it's a way to feel like I've accomplished "everything"), but they weren't a thing in the past and I still attempted to do "everything" regardless.I don't want to miss out on great exclusive titles.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Koppa said:

I feel like this is the game that might get me back into otome (funny enough, I'm not a romantic person AT ALL either). I've played quite a few on Vita but then I just kinda... got bored of them? Collar x Malice is the only one I tend to replay from time to time (probably because it's plot over romance). This one actually sounds interesting after looking into it! Shame it got localized too late for a Vita release in the West, though! A good MC makes all the difference (I can't stand those like the one in Amnesia. She's basically a doormat).

On my end, I just ordered the third volume of Prinny Presents. Really takes me back to my college days.

Haven't played strategy games in a while so I'm expecting a lot of stupid deaths due to my terrible decisions, ha. I'd like to go back to using my Switch more. I mean, trophies do feel super rewarding (I mostly play jRPGs so it's a way to feel like I've accomplished "everything"), but they weren't a thing in the past and I still attempted to do "everything" regardless.I don't want to miss out on great exclusive titles.

My first otome was Code: Realize on Vita and after that I didn't play the genre in years. It was Café Enchanté on Switch that ignited my interest in otome again - such a nice game if you can ignore the typos and grammar errors in the English localization. I've also had Collar x Malice on my wishlist for a long time. Switch is definitely the go-to platform if you have an interest in quality otome games.

Funny thing is that I was planning to get Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (part of Prinny Presents Vol 3) on Steam as it looks just like my kind of a silly game. We seem to have somewhat similar tastes in games as I have Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate on my Switch wishlist as well. :)

• Like 2

Finally got around to playing Kirby: Forgotten Land and it's been really great. Beat the first world and it was a lot of fun (the mouthful transformations were cute and neat). Definitely left a strong first impression compared to Star Allies and can't wait to play more of the game. 

Also did a final Wii U/3DS eShop sweep and got:

Sadame (3DS)

3D Classics: ExciteBike (3DS)

Mario Party 2 (Wii U)

Golden Sun: The Lost Age (Wii U)

Mario Bros Advance: Super Mario World (the title was confusing but it's the one with the e-reader levels)

I've started to notice that my 2nd Joycon set (left controller) is slowly drifting and I might need to start saving for yet another Joycon pair. One of the things I hate about Nintendo is that their accessories are expensive and like the games, rarely ever get a price cut, which sucks since the Switch is already like 5.5 years old now.

• Like 3

I just 100% completed Variable Barricade meaning I've seen all the 19 different endings, played all characters' after stories and unlocked all the illustrations (there are a lot of them!). There's a good chunk of content in the game as the play time recorded by Switch says it took me 60+ hours to get through everything. The true ending route was pretty surprising, I really didn't expect to see that kind of development of events. 
I can't overstate how beautiful the game is. Here's a little screenshot treat from Nayuta's route - the color harmony, composition, lighting and mood of that piece is just breathtaking.

01de7190db326ecff9a259c49c3150db213e3e72.jpg

Now that I'm done with Varibari I should maybe finish Shin chan: Me and the Professor on Summer Vacation and decide what will be my next title for handheld play on Switch.

• Like 2

On 2022-09-03 at 1:50 AM, Eyjabria said:

My first otome was Code: Realize on Vita and after that I didn't play the genre in years. It was Café Enchanté on Switch that ignited my interest in otome again - such a nice game if you can ignore the typos and grammar errors in the English localization. I've also had Collar x Malice on my wishlist for a long time. Switch is definitely the go-to platform if you have an interest in quality otome games.

Funny thing is that I was planning to get Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (part of Prinny Presents Vol 3) on Steam as it looks just like my kind of a silly game. We seem to have somewhat similar tastes in games as I have Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate on my Switch wishlist as well. :)

I'll look into that one as well, thank you for the recommendation! 

English isn't my native language so grammatical mistakes and all won't bother me much (I surely do much worse, haha).

I can only highly recommend Shiren, it's a wonderful series! It can be challenging, but that makes it all the more rewarding when you finally clear that dungeon! I'll probably double dip and get the Switch version myself as I've read they added extra dungeons. 

• Like 2