Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

1 hour ago, Zephrese said:

Inflation combined with Nintendo's usual greediness and trend following seems to be the most likely reason behind the price increase.

I think it's absolute BS either way, but I'm also probably going to buy the collector's edition anyways sooo...

Hey, I thought it was an absolute STEAL that they didn't charge $60 for Metroid Prime 1. $40 to me shows that they might be learning... lol. I think that price is more than fair assuming it runs well (which they redid the controls which indicates they ported it well).

Will probably pick up a physical copy in the  next month or two.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Hey, I thought it was an absolute STEAL that they didn't charge $60 for Metroid Prime 1. $40 to me shows that they might be learning... lol. I think that price is more than fair assuming it runs well (which they redid the controls which indicates they ported it well).

Will probably pick up a physical copy in the  next month or two.

While I would've also liked to see the other two games, $40 is great when you consider how good of a job they did with this "remaster".

I'm actually a little sad that they shadow dropped it like this, if only because it feels like a disservice to all of the work that went into it and how good it is. lol

Dropping another $40 on each of the other two games wouldn't exactly be preferable, but if they remaster them and put as much work into them as this one I'd happily do so. :P

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

While I would've also liked to see the other two games, $40 is great when you consider how good of a job they did with this "remaster".

I'm actually a little sad that they shadow dropped it like this, if only because it feels like a disservice to all of the work that went into it and how good it is. lol

Dropping another $40 on each of the other two games wouldn't exactly be preferable, but if they remaster them and put as much work into them as this one I'd happily do so. :P

Agreed, I look at Skyward Sword and feel like they learned their lesson here. I think $120 for the trilogy is fair if they give it the same treatment. Especially, since I didn't own a GC. :P But, we are just talking hypothetical here. I'm just happy we got the first one. Though,  it'd be crazy to think we won't see the other 2 remastered before Prime 4 drops in 2025, haha

I'll be going into this one blind. Hoping it doesn't disappoint!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nightstream88 said:

Any reason Nintendo stated for Tears of the Kingdom being $70

Inflation and Nintendo are pieces of trash. They think there switch is still up to par with modern technology. But could be worse, in the country I'm in, Hogwarts deluxe on ps5 after tax and warranty was $116. I personally don't care. But many people do.

@Beyondthegrave07 well, i owe you one :P you were right about Engage DLC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

They think there switch is still up to par with modern technology.

It clearly doesn't have to be in order to sell extremely well, and to continue to do so even after the release of new consoles.

The limitations of the hardware also doesn't necessarily make it any less expensive to produce some of these games, especially one in development for as long as this one.

Still think Nintendo's being greedy here to an extent, but hardware limitations - or the comparable lack thereof - doesn't really have much to do with it.

Edited by Zephrese

14 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

It clearly doesn't have to be in order to sell extremely well, and to continue to do so even after the release of new consoles.

The limitations of the hardware also doesn't necessarily make it any less expensive to produce some of these games, especially one in development for as long as this one.

Still think Nintendo's being greedy here to an extent, but hardware limitations - or the comparable lack thereof - doesn't really have much to do with it.

True but i mean, 6 years and they havent even mentioned having anything new in the pipelines. Switch news leaked way before being revealed. We have nothing. Sure sales are fine but they really are not doing much to make it keep going. I hope Mario Odyssey 2 or a new Mainline Mario game is revealed before the switch ends at this point but who knows. Zelda 2 taking so long is a bit weird considering how many assets they reused. It'll depend on all the changes but as far as i could see it didnt look like traditional dungeons were a thing in this game either.

Charging what they charge is dumb, but they know people are going to buy it regardless of price. They could sell standard TOTK for $100, and it'd still be a huge sales number. It's kind of dumb. But it is what it is.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

True but i mean, 6 years and they havent even mentioned having anything new in the pipelines. Switch news leaked way before being revealed. We have nothing. Sure sales are fine but they really are not doing much to make it keep going. I hope Mario Odyssey 2 or a new Mainline Mario game is revealed before the switch ends at this point but who knows. Zelda 2 taking so long is a bit weird considering how many assets they reused. It'll depend on all the changes but as far as i could see it didnt look like traditional dungeons were a thing in this game either.

Charging what they charge is dumb, but they know people are going to buy it regardless of price. They could sell standard TOTK for $100, and it'd still be a huge sales number. It's kind of dumb. But it is what it is.

I think they're just being more "careful" with how, and when, they reveal things. They're doing the same with TOTK, and we also should take into account the following:
#1: The Wii U had an abnormally short lifespan as a result of it being a commercial failure

#2A: The Switch, unlike the Wii U, has been an enormous and consistent success throughout its entire lifespan up to this point

#2B: Even the Wii, which sold very well in of itself, did not manage to keep sales going nearly this strong during the second half of its lifespan

#3: COVID happened, and while that appears to be more or less over and done with, it clearly had an effect on their release pipeline for some time (and perhaps still does)

Also, I'm confused as to what you mean by "they really are not doing much to make it keep going"?

If we're talking about releases, last year was one of their strongest thus far. This year is also looking pretty good, at least for the first half.

That is true, but let us also not forget that it was Sony who first decided it was a brilliant idea to increase the average asking price for AAA games.
Microsoft later decided to do the same despite initially criticizing Sony for doing it. Inflation is certainly to blame, but all three have been exceptionally greedy as of late, imo.

That all said, it does suck regardless. lol

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zephrese said:

I think they're just being more "careful" with how, and when, they reveal things. They're doing the same with TOTK, and we also should take into account the following:
#1: The Wii U had an abnormally short lifespan as a result of it being a commercial failure

#2A: The Switch, unlike the Wii U, has been an enormous and consistent success throughout its entire lifespan up to this point

#2B: Even the Wii, which sold very well in of itself, did not manage to keep sales going nearly this strong during the second half of its lifespan

#3: COVID happened, and while that appears to be more or less over and done with, it clearly had an effect on their release pipeline for some time (and perhaps still does)

Also, I'm confused as to what you mean by "they really are not doing much to make it keep going"?

If we're talking about releases, last year was one of their strongest thus far. This year is also looking pretty good, at least for the first half.

That is true, but let us also not forget that it was Sony who first decided it was a brilliant idea to increase the average asking price for AAA games.
Microsoft later decided to do the same despite initially criticizing Sony for doing it. Inflation is certainly to blame, but all three have been exceptionally greedy as of late, imo.

That all said, it does suck regardless. lol

i meant like, main releases. Retro style games dont work imo. They need games to take advantage of the hardware and aside from Zelda and FE they dont have much. Metroid Dread eh. a remaster of prime fine but again a remaster. Whats the deal with MP 4? its a pipe dream. Xenoblade 3 was fine but its so hit and miss with them i feel. Perhaps covid did screw a lot up though. I just feel they should have been a bit further ahead than they are. 

In terms of new hardware they even suggested not being backwards compatible because they prefer to be doing new things.... but.... remasters etc and a shit online service is annoying. Why cant we have a store where we can BUY N64/SNES/GBA and so on like the wii shop? its just annoying how Nintendo likes to say "hey you can play GBA Games now for premium price". When we may have already owned some of them on a previous account. There's no real carryover.

Small complaint but i have enjoyed FE Engage a lot and i probably will like but not love TOTK.

• Like 2

The switch? I love it to be honest but I really am close to hacking it. I don't think they need my money and for the love of god they are so f'n blind not adding trophies. I can't imagine MH rise having very good sales from now on given that it's on other platforms .

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20230208_26/?fbclid=IwAR1jrpiCZKUpIlIQk68ieq5QflbK0Y4nlBN9ynfhMneZmlJnPVZHGloxn64

3 hours ago, NullRay85 said:

Sucks that Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom $70. I know Nintendo's greedy but it's already bad enough when their games barely get a respectable price drop (digital and used), guess it was a matter of time.

I wonder why its 70 bucks? Probably because its Zelda. Pikimin 4 comes out after TOTK and its set at 60 dollars. 

• Like 2

Definitely going to get Metroid Prime Remastered, I missed it on GC and couldn't find a reasonable copy of the Wii Trilogy (although I wouldn't want to play it at 480p ?.

They read my mind with the GB & GBA emulator, I'll be on Minish Cap today!

My wife loves Professor Layton so will probably get that as well. All round a good Direct, even though I had hoped for WWHD or TPHD on switch.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Titan said:

I wonder why its 70 bucks? Probably because its Zelda. Pikimin 4 comes out after TOTK and its set at 60 dollars. 

Most definitely that, or they could be testing the waters when they release their next-gen system. Either way games are getting expensive lately, so all the more reason to wait for sales.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

@Beyondthegrave07 well, i owe you one :P you were right about Engage DLC.

Most of my guesses were correct. Granted, I didn't swing too wildly either and some guesses were kinda vague. :P

The only thing I got totally wrong was more N64 Classics announced, but I was correct about the update to the service so I give myself half credit. Haha.

• Like 2

Watched the Nintendo Direct during lunch today and wow! The new Fantasy Life game has me excited. And a new Style Boutique/Style Savvy game under a different name. I bought the Nintendo DS version of Ghost Trick last summer, so most likely won't be getting the Switch port. And I have the Untold versions of Etrian Odyssey 1 & 2 on 3DS so I'll most likely skip the Switch ports of 1-3. 

There were quite a many other interesting games announced too. The Japanese Direct had an announcement for Atelier Marie remake as well. Very good direct. But I need more time to actually play all these games...

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

no switch 2? :(

I don't recall Nintendo ever revealing a new platform in February. I'm predicting a March 2024 release with a Summer 2023 reveal date. Of course, it's entirely possible the next platform doesn't launch until Holiday 2024 or beyond. I truly don't know Nintendo's long-term plan and I would be shocked at a Pro model. DS and 3DS already had Pro models under 5 years into their lives. The Game Boy Color (which is considered by some to be a Pro model of the OG Game Boy) took an unprecedented 9 years, and the GBA came out less than 3 years later. All this to say, even the Switch living a really long lifespan before replacement probably won't get a Pro model at this point. Switch hit its absolute hardware peak in 2020, but the years since have been superior to 2017-2019 on the hardware sales front. 2023 will almost surely still be a very successful year even with the saturation point looming or already reached. 

The Zelda price sucks, though the NSO Game Vouchers can lessen some of the blow if you want to buy 2 games like a lot of Switch players probably would anyway. 

• Like 3

Preordered Metroid Prime Remastered’s physical, but seeing Kirby comes out two days later, won’t play it immediately. 

Also, according to Nintendo, the $70 price tag for Zelda won’t be the norm going forward. We shall see. 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/02/nintendo-usd70-usd-wont-be-a-trend-games-priced-on-case-by-case-basis

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

With the way things are going... Xenoblade Chronicles 3 has so much content at this point that it might become my first game I actually spend 200+ hours in. Or not. Only time will tell.

Glad to see that GB and GBA are going to be on NSO now. Makes me wonder if Pokemon games will follow on it. We might find out during the Pokemon Day stream. But TPC/GameFreak do weird ass shit so it's possible they just... don't.

I'm happy for Metroid and Zelda fans. I really am. I'm just personally not interested in either.

First half was extremely bad. But that's just how I felt obviously.

Nothing here was really for me other than RainCode with a solid release date. Still unsure on if I'll get it for Switch or wait for a PS4/PS5 version for the possibility of an easy Platinum.

But I do have two buffers between the Xillias now with both a Kirby Return to DreamLand Deluxe and Octopath Traveler II demos.

As much as I'm against games being at $70 to begin with...I wouldn't be as upset about this if it wasn't for the fact that first party games rarely go on sale, and when they do they're barely sales. The fact that Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild or Mario Kart 8 still hit sales for $40-$45 is atrocious. Which means Tears of the Kingdom may never officially fall below $50, and nowadays every damn reseller on the eBays and Mercari's of the world have to be big shot entrepreneurs, selling their used crap for the same price Nintendo does, so you can barely find it elsewhere for a good price anymore either.  

Not to mention, I'm pretty damn certain Tears of the Kingdom is going to be a launch title for the next Switch (or whatever it ends up being called), and that'll be the pretty definitive edition and all that...STILL for $70, but Nintendo just couldn't wait to do that. They literally priced this based on hype. Every goddamn Youtuber on the planet that makes a "Top 10 Best Switch Games" or "Let's rank every Zelda game", always puts Breath of the Wild at number 1 and Nintendo knows this...they know they banking on people not giving a shit and pricing accordingly, because it's Zelda and they're going to buy it anyway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

If you're not into paying $70 for games, the NSO vouchers can be used to purchase Tears of the Kingdom. So if you spend $100 on the vouchers to claim two games, you could get TotK and another $60 game, save $30 in total off both games.

List of eligible games

That's a good catch. I may have to do this as much as I want a physical copy...

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

That's a good catch. I may have to do this as much as I want a physical copy...

Yeah, that's my problem as well. For any Zelda game, and especially a new Zelda game, I'd really like to have a physical copy... but psychologically the $70 price tag is hard to swallow for any game.

• Like 3