Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

42 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Feels like Nintendo did these "limited releases" a few times before at least, it's funny how they still seem to bungle it so badly.

I'm just still not totally sure how other releases like this have worked... if supply eventually meets demand and I can get a copy relatively easily, or if this is probably it for a few weeks/months/ever.  Do I cut my losses and just get the Asia English import while it's still cheap and readily available?

EDIT: You know what, the Asia English copy on Play-Asia, I think it's date changed to March 3.  I see an EU listing of it on there too (with the same box art as NA) and it's March 3 as well.  I think Nintendo just botched the rollout so retailers don't have copies, getting the sense March 3 might be the new delayed physical "launch" for all the copies that didn't make it the first time so I'll just keep an eye out around then.

You might be right.

IGN - Amazon Has Delayed Its Metroid Prime Remastered Preorders, It's Also Sold Out Everywhere Else

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

I think it's part of their push for digital since it's less expensive to produce. 

Though, the reasons why people don't go digital for Nintendo especially is for simple preservation which is something Nintendo has lacked with older titles so why should they be surprised when they sell out? Lol.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Zephrese said:

Physical copies were supposedly produced in very low quantities because it was meant to be a limited release, something which Nintendo clearly did not communicate very well.

Nintendo also clearly and extremely underestimated the demand for physical copies, and there's also the absolute cancer upon society that is scalpers doing their usual BS.

There's also a few other things going on, including:

Retailers appear to have, in some cases, taken pre-orders for stock they didn't have to begin with

Some people have had their pre-orders delayed either because of retailers rushing them all out and getting confused, and/or perhaps because of the above reason

I've also heard that some copies are just straight up missing? Haven't looked into that yet, though

It's a mess either way. lmao

Makes sense. On the day I preordered it, I checked Amazon, it wasn't available. I didn't trust GameStop, so I looked at Best Buy and they still had preorders, so got one for store pickup. I was able to pick it up no issue on Wednesday.

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 3

Will be getting a (used) Nintendo Switch lite next week or so. Pretty stoked because I've always wanted to play the Xenosaga Chronicles games and Link's Awakening! Played that game when I was a kid and never finished it. It's still on mind, even after all these years :D. Any other exclusive RPGs/JRPGs I should put on my wish list? 

Also, hit me up with any other advice or tips on accessories I should get.

EDIT: Just realized I wrote Xenosaga instead of Xenoblade!! Lol! 

Edited by Edunstar84
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Will be getting a (used) Nintendo Switch lite next week or so. Pretty stoked because I've always wanted to play the Xenosaga Chronicles games and Link's Awakening! Played that game when I was a kid and never finished it. It's still on mind, even after all these years :D. Any other exclusive RPGs/JRPGs I should put on my wish list? 

SMTV is an super fun JRPG. I would definitely pick it up if you are looking for the best of the best when it comes to turn-based combat.

Bravely Default 2 is also a great JRPG. Wasn't a huge fan of the voice acting in it and the story is pretty bland until the end, but the actual gameplay itself is great and the game was purposely made to challenge RPG players as bosses have an absurd amount of health and use their own strategies to stop you. Some people really hate the boss battles, but after you unlock a few classes, you're able to create some killing machines and it was really satisfying to me. 

Even if you don't like tactical RPGs, I would give the fire emblem series a try (3 Houses and Engage). It's more about building your party, giving them the right weapons, and picking good classes for them. Not so much about chess like, big-brained plays like you'd expect.

Some other RPGs to keep in mind:

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet (maybe wait for that patch)

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (like persona)

Octopath Traveler 

Triangle Strategy (like Final Fantasy Tactics)

Mario + Rabbids 1 and 2

Some of these are also on PC, but if you aren't a PC gamer, might as well be exclusive. So many good RPGs would be missed if you just meant non-playstation, haha.

As for accessories, since this is a switch lite, I would invest in a carrying case and a screen protector, but that’s just me.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Off the top of my head

Triangle strategy 

Fire emblem 3 houses

Astral chain

Edited by sephirothdude
  • Like 2

Well I was hoping to snag a physical copy of Metroid Prime Remastered, but like an idiot I waited too long and now it's not available anywhere. I decided I couldn't wait, caved and bought it off the eShop, because if you asked me to choose one single video game as my favorite game of all time - a damn near impossible task - I would probably choose Metroid Prime. At the very least, it would be one of the games I'd consider. If they make another batch of physical copies, I'll be tempted to buy it again just to have it. Although I also still have my original GameCube copy and my Wii copy of the trilogy, so maybe not...

I'm loving the game as much as ever, but for anybody else playing it I'm curious to know... is anybody using the gyro controls for aiming? I gave it a try and it feels... weird. Nintendo Life recently put out a video making the case that gyro controls are superior for aiming-and-shooting with a controller, whether it be third- or first-person, and Microsoft might be holding games back by not including a gyroscope in any of their controllers.

Gyro aiming is most prevalent in Nintendo titles, Sony does include the option for some of their games, but it's not an option at all on Xbox. So no gyro on Xbox, and since Xbox controllers are also the most frequently used for PC gaming, 3rd party developers aren't very likely to include gyro aiming as an option.

Any seasoned gyro aiming vets who can offer opinions on why they're superior? I admittedly haven't played any Splatoon, where I understand it's a popular option. Nor have I played Days Gone, I believe it's available as an aiming option for that game. It could very well be there's just an acclimation period I need to get used to, but right now they feel weird and I went back to stick controls for aiming.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Well I was hoping to snag a physical copy of Metroid Prime Remastered, but like an idiot I waited too long and now it's not available anywhere. I decided I couldn't wait, caved and bought it off the eShop, because if you asked me to choose one single video game as my favorite game of all time - a damn near impossible task - I would probably choose Metroid Prime. At the very least, it would be one of the games I'd consider. If they make another batch of physical copies, I'll be tempted to buy it again just to have it. Although I also still have my original GameCube copy and my Wii copy of the trilogy, so maybe not...

I'm loving the game as much as ever, but for anybody else playing it I'm curious to know... is anybody using the gyro controls for aiming? I gave it a try and it feels... weird. Nintendo Life recently put out a video making the case that gyro controls are superior for aiming-and-shooting with a controller, whether it be third- or first-person, and Microsoft might be holding games back by not including a gyroscope in any of their controllers.

Gyro aiming is most prevalent in Nintendo titles, Sony does include the option for some of their games, but it's not an option at all on Xbox. So no gyro on Xbox, and since Xbox controllers are also the most frequently used for PC gaming, 3rd party developers aren't very likely to include gyro aiming as an option.

Any seasoned gyro aiming vets who can offer opinions on why they're superior? I admittedly haven't played any Splatoon, where I understand it's a popular option. Nor have I played Days Gone, I believe it's available as an aiming option for that game. It could very well be there's just an acclimation period I need to get used to, but right now they feel weird and I went back to stick controls for aiming.

The reason why it's superior is because gyro aiming allows for more precise aiming and faster camera movement. 

Using the left and right stick makes it very difficult to know how long and where to point your joysticks to get it in the exact spot as there are an infinite amount of possibilities and it's very difficult to point your sticks in the exact location needed in shooting games. Instead, you can use muscle memory to know how much you need to turn your controller to point your controller in the exact spot on your screen and its a lot easier and much more accurate once you get used to it.

This guy explains and demonstrates it perfectly. He also explains how to properly turn too.

• Like 2

I got Octopath Traveler II on Friday at launch. Here’s the Traveler’s Compendium Edition of Octopath Traveler and the sequel side by side.

b23b7fc3b6cf63e95722a84a6ed557754f8dd450.jpg

I started with Castti the apothecary and finished their first chapter so far. Been playing other games on the side (like Pokémon Rumble World on 3DS and Unpacking on PC) so haven't advanced far yet.

• Like 3

I'm excited about the new tera raids and DLC at least. Though, my main concern is them fixing SV in it's current state. Granted, I didn't think they'd actually address it, but it's what I'm looking forward to most.

Though, supposedly, the next patch (coming tomorrow or later today I believe) is supposed to fix a lot of issues and one of the main ways they are fixing it is by reducing the spawn rate of Pokémon in certain areas... which honestly, I've noticed this being an issue in area zero and in the bamboo area too. I hope this actually fixes the frame rate issues. Otherwise, we are just losing shiny chances.

• Like 1

I was hoping to see some news regarding the GBC and GBA Pokemon games but nothing was announced unfortunately. 

About the new paradox pokemon raids in SV you can only catch one per save and those are shiny locked. I'm guessing the best nature for paradox Suicune is timid and for Virizion jolly since you can only catch one I'll be looking for those.

• Like 2

I too was hoping more for an announcement of the Gameboy Pokemon games...but mainly because it's just a rumor, and it'd be cool if it ended up being real. Whereas, we knew S/V were getting DLC, and now we know they aren't even out until the end of the year. 

As for the DLC, I might get it. I enjoyed Scarlet...but I haven't played it since I finished it. I was originally trying to get that Raid Charizard and eventually complete my Pokedex, but I kinda just stopped and haven't gone back. So there's no telling where my mind will be on it by the time Fall gets here, so I'll have to decide then. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Viper said:

I too was hoping more for an announcement of the Gameboy Pokemon games...but mainly because it's just a rumor, and it'd be cool if it ended up being real. Whereas, we knew S/V were getting DLC, and now we know they aren't even out until the end of the year. 

As for the DLC, I might get it. I enjoyed Scarlet...but I haven't played it since I finished it. I was originally trying to get that Raid Charizard and eventually complete my Pokedex, but I kinda just stopped and haven't gone back. So there's no telling where my mind will be on it by the time Fall gets here, so I'll have to decide then. 

No worries, the raid Charizard and buddies aren't part of Pokédex completion. I think they don't even show up in the Pokédex at all - at least the Charizard wasn't there when I checked after catching one.

I'm not sure if I'll go back to catch the new raid paradox pokémon as I've moved to other games on Switch (Piofiore and Octopath Traveler II). At least for the prior 7-star raids it was a bit of a hassle to make a suitable pokémon that can handle the raids - even with all the QoL additions of S/V. Not sure if these new raids are 7-star or easier?

While the Scarlet/Violet DLC looks interesting and I immensely enjoyed the main game, I'll have to see how I feel about it when it comes available.

I wasn't really expecting the GBC games. I was expecting Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2 since those were announced months ago.

Still confused why these haven't been released yet... maybe they'll be transferable Pokémon or maybe they'll release them with GBC counterparts for the in game transfer.

• Like 1

Not sure if I should post this or not... but I guess I will. I know how everyone thinks about 'rumors/leaks' though so you can take this however you want. Obviously.

However...

A couple of days before the Pokemon Presents there was a 'leak' about it that turned out to be 100% correct. At the end of the post... the leak mentioned that 'new Nintendo Switch Models' with 'graphical enhancements' for Pokemon S/V would be releasing alongside DLC2 (so in other words The Indigo Disk).

Jeff Grubb (well known insider I guess? I don't really know much about him honestly) has now officially come out and also stated he too has heard about possible new Nintendo Switch hardware releasing this year but only gave a '45%' confidence rate in it.

What's not stated, obviously, is if it's the long rumored 'Switch Pro' if it's an actual new console for Nintendo like Nintendo Switch 2 or whatever they hell they'll end up calling it.

Just letting people know for those curious. But like I said... take this however you want.

• Like 4

I'm inclined to believe that - if it's true - it's merely another console revision, rather than it being an entirely new console altogether.
If it were the latter, I'd imagine that they would've announced it by now (during the Nintendo Direct back in February, perhaps?).

The Switch is a massive and unprecedented success for Nintendo that - even despite the release of new consoles, like the PS5 and XSX - continues to absolutely thrive. It's not only doing infinitely better than the Wii U ever did, but it's also not slowing down nearly as much as the Wii did during the second half of its lifespan either. On top of that they largely don't - at least directly - compete with Microsoft nor Sony, and I can see enough reason for them to stretch the Switch's lifespan out a bit longer than what would typically be considered the norm (and, to be fair, the Wii U lasted for only about four years due to being a commercial failure, so that gives them all the more reason to milk the living hell out of the Switch as far as I'm concerned). That all said, we're still likely in the final stretch of the Switch's lifespan, so another refresh of it in the meantime will give it one last little extra push before we inevitably get an entirely new console in (if I were to guess) either 2024 or 2025. I suppose that there's also COVID - and the effects it's had on everything for the last couple of years - to take into consideration as well, which might very well lead to all current consoles having a slightly longer than average lifespan in general...

Regardless, I believe it's very possible that an enhanced Switch model is indeed coming out for real this time, especially because of that otherwise 100% accurate Pokémon leak and Jeff Grubb's input on the matter. Grubb predicted that Metroid Prime Remastered was a thing long before it was announced (and that it would exclude the other two games), albeit he got the release date wrong by a couple of months (although, that said, I think it was only "wrong" in the sense that Nintendo pushed the game back into February from November for whatever reason).

Of course it might also turn out to be complete BS like the last million times, which wouldn't be surprising at all either. lol

Although I guess we thought Metroid Prime Remastered wasn't real for the longest time, and now look where we are...

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 4

Finally beat Live A Live a few days ago and it was a fun ride. I enjoyed the stories and the characters were cool-- the final chapter ended things a good note. Gameplay was solid and packed with variety even though it got boring at times with you being overpowered for the most part. The production values were awesome with the HD-2D style, voice-acting, and soundtrack all being great. All in all, a fantastic remake that took around 25 hours. 

I'm playing Ever Oasis on the 3DS at the moment and so far it's fun with it playing like a Zelda game. Can't wait to play more of it.

About the next-gen Nintendo system, it's anyone's guess what they'll introduce as a new concept. If they're going for a Switch 2, then they seriously need more  powerful hardware to rival the Steam Deck and handle current-gen games (will be a tall order if they're using cartridges). Since Nintendo and Microsoft recently signed-off on a Call of Duty deal, I think it's safe to assume they got the memo. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, NullRay85 said:

About the next-gen Nintendo system, it's anyone's guess what they'll introduce as a new concept. If they're going for a Switch 2, then they seriously need more  powerful hardware to rival the Steam Deck and handle current-gen games (will be a tall order if they're using cartridges). Since Nintendo and Microsoft recently signed-off on a Call of Duty deal, I think it's safe to assume they got the memo.

While I agree that Nintendo's next console should be significantly stronger than the Switch (at least relatively speaking, anyways), they have absolutely no need nor reason whatsoever to do so in order to compete with the Steam Deck because the latter is entirely irrelevant to them and vice versa. One is a dedicated console/handheld, the other is a (although amazing) niche piece of hardware that not nearly as many people will buy and/or can afford.

The COD "deal" doesn't really prove or show that they got any kind of memo when cloud gaming is an entirely viable option, and one that has been used for several multi-platform games and ports on Switch already.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Zephrese said:

While I agree that Nintendo's next console should be significantly stronger than the Switch (at least relatively speaking, anyways), they have absolutely no need nor reason whatsoever to do so in order to compete with the Steam Deck because the latter is entirely irrelevant to them and vice versa. One is a dedicated console/handheld, the other is a (although amazing) niche piece of hardware that not nearly as many people will buy and/or can afford.

The COD "deal" doesn't really prove or show that they got any kind of memo when cloud gaming is an entirely viable option, and one that has been used for several multi-platform games and ports on Switch already.

Fair point on the Steam Deck. I was just hoping that Nintendo would at least acknowledge Valve as an indirect competitor in the portable gaming space in an effort to bring better hardware.

I'm sure Cloud gaming will take off the coming years but right now, it still has some drawbacks on Switch. For one, the input delays when it comes to games like Call of Duty are a deal-breaker for those only interested in multiplayer (Kingdom Hearts on Cloud is single-player with noticable lags). Also, it removes the "play anywhere" factor the Switch is known for since you can only access the game online (even single-player). Doubt places like Starbucks has a stable connection for online shooters lol.

If you only have a Switch then it's a necessary concession, but if I had a PS5/XSX then I'd definitley play there. I'm guessing they can use Xbox's X-Cloud if it's any better?

Until these issues can be fixed, I still think it's a good idea for Nintendo's next-gen system to run COD games natively (or at least min. requirements). But again, it's Nintendo so who knows what they're doing.

Edited by NullRay85
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 5:54 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

Not sure if I should post this or not... but I guess I will. I know how everyone thinks about 'rumors/leaks' though so you can take this however you want. Obviously.

However...

A couple of days before the Pokemon Presents there was a 'leak' about it that turned out to be 100% correct. At the end of the post... the leak mentioned that 'new Nintendo Switch Models' with 'graphical enhancements' for Pokemon S/V would be releasing alongside DLC2 (so in other words The Indigo Disk).

Jeff Grubb (well known insider I guess? I don't really know much about him honestly) has now officially come out and also stated he too has heard about possible new Nintendo Switch hardware releasing this year but only gave a '45%' confidence rate in it.

What's not stated, obviously, is if it's the long rumored 'Switch Pro' if it's an actual new console for Nintendo like Nintendo Switch 2 or whatever they hell they'll end up calling it.

Just letting people know for those curious. But like I said... take this however you want.

Apparently it's true. It's usually better to post the source so people can make up their mind. Anyway, too early to tell. But the timing does make it seem realistic.

https://twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1631831152771080195

It's also possible that Riddler Khu, very infamous in the Pokemon leaker community, is only confirming specially the Pokemon leaks and not the Switch 2 stuff.

• Like 3