Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

3 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

With the closing of the 3DS shop, I decided to buy a few cheap games and buy 1 must-have game Radiant Historia. It's on everyone's list, and I don't think I'd be able to get a physical.  Also, bought Bravely Default physical for a decent price. I'm also hoping that we get more Dragon Quest games on PlayStation. Not sure I want to pay for the going price for one now.

I've been doing some eShopping lately as well. I got Pocket Card Jockey and some DLC for the Etrian Odyssey games. I'm still planning to get at least Layton vs Phoenix Wright. I haven't found a physical and now I'm kicking my past self for not buying it back when it was readily available. I still have Senran Kagura 2 on my wishlist, considering getting Kid Icarus Uprising and Pandora's Tower on Wii U if I figure out a way to free up space on Wii U.

I find it surprising that the Dragon Quest games are expensive as here you can get a new copy of DQ VII and VIII for 3DS for 45 €.

I had gotten multiple survey invitations for Switch games from Nintendo again and they've always expired before I see them. Latest was for Octopath Traveler II (didn't know they send those surveys for physical copies as well). They should really allow for more time to answer those...

• Like 3

Just dropping in to notify that Touhou Mystia's Izakaya is coming to Nintendo Switch. It's easily one of the best restaurant management games out there, so you might want to keep an eye on that one. It's currently available on Steam if you'd like to take a look. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1584090/Touhou_Mystias_Izakaya/

abef03d27d61b01a46a116489cfc2853745883ed.jpg

You also get a Cake Dress as a gift in the game to celebrate the occasion.

c1eb1f9cd70c4c465f7da31c269160ff6bf2b9bd.jpg 13f2f3b96bfee8321bb3785cab3a2d845bddd287.jpg

• Like 4

Beat Drill Dozer after getting on Wii U. It was a fun time and it's always good to see Game Freak branch-out from Pokemon to make some cool games. Loved the gameplay (even though it got frustrating by the end) and the cast were pretty charming too. You know the retro market is crazy when the game is selling for hundreds of dollars when you can get it for $8 on the eShop (while it lasts...). 

I've scooped some games on the 3DS/Wii U eShop like Apollo Justice ($2), NES Remix, Mario Vs Donkey Kong, Advance Wars: DS, Paper Mario 64, and Chronos Twin (a DSiware game). I'm still in a retro mood so I'm playing Mario vs Donkey Kong GBA next while also playing Breath of the Wild.

• Like 2

I spent my Sunday browsing the Nintendo 3DS Theme Shop for nice home menu themes I'd like to get. Did some research and bought a few nice ones for now:

• Mario Hanafuda
  • Etrian Mystery Dungeon
  • The Legend of Legacy: The Seven Adventurers Theme

It also occurred to me there's a game I never got (because "too many games", et cetera) and it's available only digitally in Europe. It's called Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale. I read the game offers English audio and not just one but two Japanese audio versions. That swayed me to grab it. https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS-download-software/Return-to-PopoloCrois-A-STORY-OF-SEASONS-Fairytale-1085359.html

Only about a week left until the eShop closes down and I'm facing the issue of running low on space both on 3DS and Wii U. I'm supposed to get at least a couple of more games for 3DS but not that many blocks left. I probably have to get Kid Icarus: Uprising as a physical copy at some point.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

@Eyjabria I really want the Return to PopoloCrois game. It looks so cool, but alas, I prioritized other games. More games should be on sale. Anyway, is Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 or 2 any good? Or maybe Persona Q. 

I have Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 and 2 both but haven't had time to start either. I've played Etrian Odyssey V and liked it a lot - very high quality game. I've bought all the Etrian games available on 3DS after playing EO V. The Untold games have heavier emphasis on story as they offer premade characters with a story mode. Etrian games in general have you create and customize your own characters and are very light on story content.

Persona Q has the Etrian Odyssey dungeon crawling gameplay formula (explore dungeons, map them, defeat monsters to advance to the next floor of the dungeon) and heavier emphasis on story. You form your party from Persona 3 & 4 characters and there are two new characters exclusive to Persona Q (Zen & Rei). There's a very enjoyable sub-Persona customization system where the characters have their main Persona and you can assign/swap a secondary Persona for the characters to equip them with additional skills and abilities. It makes combat very interesting.

The first Persona Q doesn't have Japanese audio option but the English dub is pretty good. 

If you're worried about mapping dungeon floors, there's auto-mapping available where walls are drawn automatically and you only place your own markers to points of interest (doors, secret tunnels, chests, etc.). You can also write short notes to specific tiles. 
I recommend Persona Q even if you weren't a fan of Persona series.

• Like 4

Did some final minute purchases from 3DS and Wii U eShop. Had to delete my digital version of Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker and order a physical copy to make room for more games. I also got more 3DS themes (Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival "Plaza", Hatsune Miku: Carton Box) and downloaded game updates just in case. 

Here's the games I got during March from 3DS/Wii U eShop in case some of these spark your interest.

24079d10ae089e2b9cfcbd8c662d8f36af1134d9.jpg

Crimson Shroud 
What is it? An experimental RPG inspired by tabletop role-playing games. Follow the tale of a young man and his team as they find themselves drawn into the mystery of the Original Gift, the Crimson Shroud. Only available digitally on Nintendo 3DS.

The Denpa Men 3: The Rise of Digitoll 
What is it? RPG that uses Nintendo 3DS AR features. Find and catch Denpa Men that live among radio waves in the real world and use them in combat to explore dungeons.

Pandora’s Tower
What is it? An action RPG originally released on Nintendo Wii in 2011. Break a curse that threatens to transform a beloved friend into a horrific beast. Available for Wii U in the eShop.

Pocket Card Jockey
What is it? Game that combines the thrill of horse racing with the classic card game solitaire. There’s even a story included!

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
What is it? Visual novel adventure puzzle game where Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright work together to solve a mystery. Combines the puzzle and exploration elements of Layton series and the trial mechanics of Ace Attorney series.

Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale
What is it? A farming simulation RPG where farming is mostly optional. Crossover between PopoloCrois (a popular fantasy manga from 1978) and the Bokujō Monogatari series (formerly known as Harvest Moon and now Story of Seasons). Only available digitally in Europe.

Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson
What is it? A fast-paced 2.5D side-scrolling beat ‘em up game with lots of playable characters. Can the Hanzo and Hebijo Shinobi Academies unite and work together to fight an army of summoned demons?

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
What is it? A tactical RPG spin-off of the Shin Megami Tensei series. Demons have invaded Tokyo and the city is in lockdown. You are inside the lockdown - will you survive? Forge contracts with demons who fight by your side, make decisions that will mean life for some and death for others.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
What is it? A tactical RPG spin-off of the Shin Megami Tensei series. Demons have invaded Tokyo and the city is in lockdown. You are inside the lockdown - will you survive? Forge contracts with demons who fight by your side, make decisions that will mean life for some and death for others.

That's the good shit™ Loved both games on the DS. Been meaning to get the 3DS ports of the Devil Survivor games for some time now, but physical copies - like the other SMT games on 3DS - are unfortunately pretty expensive. ?

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zephrese said:

That's the good shit2122.png Loved both games on the DS. Been meaning to get the 3DS ports of the Devil Survivor games for some time now, but physical copies - like the other SMT games on 3DS - are unfortunately pretty expensive. 1f622.png

Good to hear it's a quality game! Both me and my husband got it before the eShop doomsday.

Got two more games and a few more 3DS home menu themes so I wouldn't have any regrets.

33b9d178c7d3ad6ea011b2ac78443980f6d7d9e8.jpg

Kingdom’s Item Shop
What is it? Pixel graphic shop simulation game. You are the owner of an item shop in a fantasy role-playing game universe. Explore dungeons for ingredients, find recipes, craft items, and sell items to people in need. Make your shop the most popular in the kingdom!

Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
What is it? Action RPG spin-off of the Pokémon series, previously released on Nintendo DS and now available via Wii U Virtual Console. Protect hundreds of different types of Pokémon from an evil corporation. Capture Pokémon on the touch screen and use their abilities to save the day.

Here's a sample of one of the themes I got. The Legend of Legacy theme has a panoramic top screen wallpaper with artwork of the game's heroes and bottom screen has a static image with a logo. I like the colors and art style of this one and the game's main theme music included in the home theme is very nice as well.

9ce874d650a12724b48c846c9a85febb083a6e19.jpg 1514f052446db42042f7c9eefd04b3ae957b0c9d.jpg

I also noticed I owned zero Pokémon 3DS home menu themes so had to remedy that and buy a couple of those. Then I realized my physical copy of Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse had a theme code I hadn't redeemed - luckily it was still valid and the theme was cooler than I thought. To my disappointment my Etrian Odyssey V copy should have come with a theme code but they had forgotten to print it on the pamphlet... I'm very salty about that because the EO illustrator's art style may be my favorite ever.

• Like 3

I'm officially halfway through my Maddening, CLASSIC playthrough on Fire Emblem Engage. I'm doing this without DLC (so no broken Tiki ring),  and I'm not grinding out xp through the relay tower either (you can't grind xp in skirmishes).

I haven't had too terrible time with it due to great engraving choices, well-timed master seals, and decent (not great) bond rings.

So far, the best units have been Alear, Citrinne, Lapis, and Louis for me. I gave Lapis a crit build, Citrinne is just such a magic monster, and Louis is just a physical tank (who is clearly a play on Kellam from FE: Awakening).

Of course Alear is Alear and with their Liberation sword, they'll always be a super useful for any mode.

Funny enough though, I didn't use Citrinne,  Lapis, or Diamante much in Hard mode and chose to use Alcryst, Anna, and Céline early on instead. 

My tips so far would be:

Use Master Seals ASAP. Don't worry about only being level 10, Stat gains are better on advanced units so no need to wait at all!

Use engravings wisely. Do not just put it on your strongest weapon and call it a day. Use Michiah's and Lucina's engravings on units you want to be dodge tanks (Yunaka, Alear, Jean, Zelkov, etc), use Roy's on physical or magic walls, etc (Louis, Jade, Timerra,  etc). Think about how the stats increase/decrease with each engravings and who it would be most effective on.

Upgrade your weapons. I hardly donate to nations, have a kennel of dogs, and have focused my efforts on upgrading my engraved weapons which has made the game much easier. I think donating to brodia for the crit sword is good, but other than that, not really worth it imo.

Use Tonics and Healing Items If you struggle right out the gate, by Tonics to help you. Seriously, they're super good early on. So are Vulneraries. Don't go into a battle without them!

Lastly, do Somnel activities after each battle. You don't have to do everything there is, but use the arena, check your pets, and do training. Those 3 alone will make a huge difference. 

Wonder how I will feel going forward. I plan on making a tier list for characters after I'm done so if someone else wants to know from a quick glance what units are strong, I'll have something usable. I've seen a few tier lists and some are really really bad (Clanne is a shit character and so is Etie, I'm sorry! I really tried, lol.)

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'm officially halfway through my Maddening, CLASSIC playthrough on Fire Emblem Engage. I'm doing this without DLC (so no broken Tiki ring),  and I'm not grinding out xp through the relay tower either (you can't grind xp in skirmishes).

I haven't had too terrible time with it due to great engraving choices, well-timed master seals, and decent (not great) bond rings.

So far, the best units have been Alear, Citrinne, Lapis, and Louis for me. I gave Lapis a crit build, Citrinne is just such a magic monster, and Louis is just a physical tank (who is clearly a play on Kellam from FE: Awakening).

Of course Alear is Alear and with their Liberation sword, they'll always be a super useful for any mode.

Funny enough though, I didn't use Citrinne,  Lapis, or Diamante much in Hard mode and chose to use Alcryst, Anna, and Céline early on instead. 

My tips so far would be:

Use Master Seals ASAP. Don't worry about only being level 10, Stat gains are better on advanced units so no need to wait at all!

Use engravings wisely. Do not just put it on your strongest weapon and call it a day. Use Michiah's and Lucina's engravings on units you want to be dodge tanks (Yunaka, Alear, Jean, Zelkov, etc), use Roy's on physical or magic walls, etc (Louis, Jade, Timerra,  etc). Think about how the stats increase/decrease with each engravings and who it would be most effective on.

Upgrade your weapons. I hardly donate to nations, have a kennel of dogs, and have focused my efforts on upgrading my engraved weapons which has made the game much easier. I think donating to brodia for the crit sword is good, but other than that, not really worth it imo.

Use Tonics and Healing Items If you struggle right out the gate, by Tonics to help you. Seriously, they're super good early on. So are Vulneraries. Don't go into a battle without them!

Lastly, do Solm activities after each battle. You don't have to do everything there is, but use the arena, check your pets, and do training. Those 3 alone will make a huge difference. 

Wonder how I will feel going forward. I plan on making a tier list for characters after I'm done so if someone else wants to know from a quick glance what units are strong, I'll have something usable. I've seen a few tier lists and some are really really bad (Clanne is a shit character and so is Etie, I'm sorry! I really tried, lol.)

I do it on the. easiest differculty and casual mode since I don't want to lose units forever in Casual mode.

In Zora's domain in Breath of the Wild, forgot how fun exploring the world was.

Beat Mario vs Donkey Kong GBA over the weekend and it was a decent game though the controls were kinda stiff. Enjoyed solving the puzzles and the mini marios were an adorable bunch. 

I can say that I got most of what I wanted from the Wii U/3DS eShops. Calculated the damage and I spent over $260 over the past months getting all the games I wanted. Didn't get everything since some games were grossly overpriced but oh well... will miss the eshop themes though. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alantor32 said:

I do it on the. easiest differculty and casual mode since I don't want to lose units forever in Casual mode.

Personally, I hate casual mode. It forces you to use units as pawns instead of treating them as actual people. Your decisions hold very little consequences, and you don't get that heightened feel of urgency or adrenaline when new enemies invade the map. The best part though is that you get waaay more attached to characters this way. For example, I absolutely loved Yunaka and Panette on my Hard Classic run, and on this run, I'm really loving Zelkov and Citrinne.  They are both so badass and love them so much for just absolutely slaying bosses and preventingsome deaths. Lol. If I played on Casual, I'd never be so pumped about them.

There's also the ability to turn back time, and there's a retry button so it's not as bad as you think. You should give it a try on a subsequent pt just to get a feel for it. 

I mean, you're free to play it as you want. I'm not in any position to tell you how to play your games, but if you want some replayability, trying classic mode isn't a bad idea. ;)

And that goes for anyone here who has never tried it. It really makes you play the game much differently. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Personally, I hate casual mode. It forces you to use units as pawns instead of treating them as actual people. Your decisions hold very little consequences, and you don't get that heightened feel of urgency or adrenaline when new enemies invade the map. The best part though is that you get waaay more attached to characters this way. For example, I absolutely loved Yunaka and Panette on my Hard Classic run, and on this run, I'm really loving Zelkov and Citrinne.  They are both so badass and love them so much for just absolutely slaying bosses and preventingsome deaths. Lol. If I played on Casual, I'd never be so pumped about them.

There's also the ability to turn back time, and there's a retry button so it's not as bad as you think. You should give it a try on a subsequent pt just to get a feel for it. 

I mean, you're free to play it as you want. I'm not in any position to tell you how to play your games, but if you want some replayability, trying classic mode isn't a bad idea. ;)

And that goes for anyone here who has never tried it. It really makes you play the game much differently. 

I've always wondered about the permadeath mode's point when most of the time I see people comment how they lost units in a battle and reloaded from save. I mean, what's the point to play on permadeath when the actual outcome is the same as playing on casual (only that it might take more time and attempts)? The other player didn't lose a unit on casual mode and the other player didn't lose a unit on permadeath.

I haven't played Fire Emblem games on permadeath and yet I felt attached to the characters, so there's no general correlation between the difficulty mode and emotional attachment in my case. I'd rather avoid the frustration of losing units or having to play the same battle multiple times.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NullRay85 said:

Beat Mario vs Donkey Kong GBA over the weekend and it was a decent game though the controls were kinda stiff. Enjoyed solving the puzzles and the mini marios were an adorable bunch. 

I can say that I got most of what I wanted from the Wii U/3DS eShops. Calculated the damage and I spent over $260 over the past months getting all the games I wanted. Didn't get everything since some games were grossly overpriced but oh well... will miss the eshop themes though. 

I spent a good chunk of currency on 3DS/Wii U eShop as well. Haven't calculated the total sum but many of the games I bought recently were 30 € - 45 €. Yesterday I decided it would be a good idea to pick up Kid Icarus: Uprising too, just in case I can't ever find a physical copy. Now that I think about it, I think it was a fitting game for a last purchase. I recall Kid Icarus was a 3DS launch title and now it was the title that ended the 3DS eShop era for me. 
I got everything I wanted. I don't really care what it cost as it's more important for me to have no regrets later. It's the worst to look back on lost opportunities. Now I just need time to play all those games..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

I've always wondered about the permadeath mode's point when most of the time I see people comment how they lost units in a battle and reloaded from save. I mean, what's the point to play on permadeath when the actual outcome is the same as playing on casual (only that it might take more time and attempts)? The other player didn't lose a unit on casual mode and the other player didn't lose a unit on permadeath.

I haven't played Fire Emblem games on permadeath and yet I felt attached to the characters, so there's no general correlation between the difficulty mode and emotional attachment in my case. I'd rather avoid the frustration of losing units or having to play the same battle multiple times.

The difference is the mindset of survival vs winning the battle. The mindset going into battle is a bit different. Yeah, it'll likely take more attempts if you retry to get the same outcome, but the way to get to said outcome is not the same. You're forced to play slower and less aggressive to ensure your team survives the whole chapter instead of foddering someone when something unexpected happens.

To give you an idea, a chapter on Maddening classic takes me an hour and a half, maybe 2 because I'm always thinking two turns ahead on my unit's health, the enemy's health, the position of my units, deciding who gets the kill, etc.

I do use the time crystal a few times in each battle; usually towards the end when I miss a 85% attack on a boss or get hit with a 11% crit and lose a unit. I'm sure those who play on casual use it too. It's a great feature to have so one screw up or crit doesn't shatter an hour of playing. 

However,  you can only use it so many times and go back so many turns so there's still weight behind each decision and to me, that's the fun part of it. 

And, you feel attached to your units now, but wait until Diamante dodges a 65% attack that would murder him on classic mode and returns it with a 6% crit to survive. It's stuff like that which makes you really pop off, lol.

Again, I'm not saying you're playing it wrong, it shouldn't exist, etc. I'm not that sort of elitist (They do exist). But as someone who played Fire Emblem Awakening on Normal Casual first, THEN on Normal Classic right after (My first Fire Emblem game), Classic was 10x more fun.

I'm just saying it's worth trying if you never have before. 

• Like 1

Wasn't as big of a deal as I was hoping it'd be, especially since we've seen these abilities before, but it was cool to learn how they work and they also sound amazing to use.

Love the even larger emphasis on player creativity and imagination this time around. Might have to drop some cash on the OLED Switch, Pro controller, and carrying case. lol

It's also nice to have confirmation that the Zonai from BOTW are indeed involved with this game in some larger way (as people have been theorizing for quite some time).

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

Just not hyped for it at all. Don't get me wrong it looks great...but I just don't unconditionally love BOTW like most people do. BOTW is a lot like RDR2, where it's a fantastic game, but it just feels like too much some times, and this game is just doing EVEN more.

Plus I refuse to believe the Switch successor isn't around the corner...and knowing Nintendo, a definitive edition of this would be a launch title for it...so I can wait. 

• Like 3

On 3/26/2023 at 9:00 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

My tips so far would be:

Lastly, do Somnel activities after each battle. You don't have to do everything there is, but use the arena, check your pets, and do training. Those 3 alone will make a huge difference. 

I'm playing my first playthrough now, on Normal Classic. I've played fan translations of FE3 (DS), FE4, and FE5, and the official DS port of FE1, and all of them are just Classic since that wasn't a thing until later. But if I'm being honest, I used save states on 4 and 5, since the others were DS games and I was playing on 3DS, I didn't have the "crutch" of save states. But yeah, I rewind or reload to prevent actual deaths. The only real death I've had in my FE playthroughs was:

Spoiler

one guy who "story dies" in FE Fates Birthright if you don't build up your relationship levels enough before a certain mission. Guess who didn't use a guide for that game! ? But his death didn't hit me that hard, because I took a long break from the game and came back to it right around the time he died.

Louis goes on every mission, he's my tank and he's great at it. I like Clanne because I have a thing for the first mage you get in FE games, I love frying enemy tanks with a fire spell. I'm sure there's better mages later on but I tend to stick with average units as long as I can make them work in a role. That tactic probably wouldn't fly on higher difficulties though. Anyway I'm not too far into the game, I think I'm on story mission 11 or so.

About using Master Seals right away, I noticed that the level resets to 1 for advanced classes. Some past games had an overall level cap, like FE4 was 20 and when you promote you stay at your current level, so there was no reason not to promote immediately at level 10. But my assumption with Engage was that it had a level cap for base classes and a separate one for advanced because of the reset to level 1. Is that incorrect?

On 3/26/2023 at 10:35 PM, NullRay85 said:

Mario vs Donkey Kong is great. I need to finish it, it's one of those games I play a level or two at a time so it's taking a while. But I love it.

I ended up not doing much "last minute" eShop shopping. I took the stance that I've had a Wii U and a 3DS for 10+ years so I already have what I will actually play. And my backlog is crazy anyway. However I did discover that I traded in all Pokemon games I used to have, so I bought Moon for my daughter to play on her 2DS. She is starting to get interested in it because of friends playing Pokemon Go, but I want to start her off with an "actual game" instead.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 3