Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

On 3/30/2023 at 10:45 AM, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm playing my first playthrough now, on Normal Classic. I've played fan translations of FE3 (DS), FE4, and FE5, and the official DS port of FE1, and all of them are just Classic since that wasn't a thing until later. But if I'm being honest, I used save states on 4 and 5, since the others were DS games and I was playing on 3DS, I didn't have the "crutch" of save states. But yeah, I rewind or reload to prevent actual deaths. The only real death I've had in my FE playthroughs was:

Hide contents

one guy who "story dies" in FE Fates Birthright if you don't build up your relationship levels enough before a certain mission. Guess who didn't use a guide for that game! 1f633.png But his death didn't hit me that hard, because I took a long break from the game and came back to it right around the time he died.

Louis goes on every mission, he's my tank and he's great at it. I like Clanne because I have a thing for the first mage you get in FE games, I love frying enemy tanks with a fire spell. I'm sure there's better mages later on but I tend to stick with average units as long as I can make them work in a role. That tactic probably wouldn't fly on higher difficulties though. Anyway I'm not too far into the game, I think I'm on story mission 11 or so.

About using Master Seals right away, I noticed that the level resets to 1 for advanced classes. Some past games had an overall level cap, like FE4 was 20 and when you promote you stay at your current level, so there was no reason not to promote immediately at level 10. But my assumption with Engage was that it had a level cap for base classes and a separate one for advanced. Is that incorrect?

Let me try and explain it the best I can. It can be a bit complicated so bear with me! xD

When you use a master seal, it resets your class level to 1. Max is 20 for most classes, but can be reset to 1 with second seals. However, the game has an internal level counter that determines how much exp you will get regardless if you are a base or advanced class. The higher the internal level, the less exp.

With that being said, each unit starts at a different internal level so it's hard to track the EXACT internal level. However, this means that you are not penalized for master sealing early. 

The reason why you do this earlier is strictly because of the Stat gains.

For example:

A mage has a 25% chance at increasing each level + the base growth Stat of the unit (for example, Citrinne's is 40, Louis's is 0). This means that mage Citrinne has a 65% chance of increasing magic each level and mage Louis is 25%. A Sage's magic gain is 30% + base Stat growth so you have a higher chance of growth leveling as a Sage vs staying as a mage. In this case, Sage Citrinne is at 70% and Sage Louis is 30%.

It's like this across ALL stats. Each one increases 5-10% so overall,  more bang for each level increased (which increases your internal level)

If you max out your level at 20, by the time you get to max, you'll likely have plenty of Second seals to reset it back to 1 or go to a different class. This is because weaker enemies give less experience so you'll likely run into a wall before then because a higher internal level will yield less exp. Especially,  if the enemies are weaker. 

Standard arena battles ignores the internal level though and will give a random amount of experience which further helps gains if you master seal early. Keep in mind though that the exp for arena decreases with higher difficulties. 

Not sure if all that makes sense, but hopefully that answers your question. 

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

Rito Valley, Zora's Domain, and Death Mountain's Divine Beasts are finally beat. I've saved the best for last, Gerudo Town! Currently exploring Faron Woods and I forgot how beautiful it looked. Trying to do some shrines for more stamina/hearts. 

Saw some gameplay footage of Tears of the Kingdom and just what I expected: more of the same, which is great! Hoping they dial back with the weapon durability mechanic though.

My biggest fear are the potential performance-issues since the Switch practically hit its limits back when it first launched. Breath of the Wild is amazing but filled with occassional frame-rate drops and pop-in textures and I hope Tears is a solid expirence. I'm still super excited for it and it'll be the first game I pick up Day 1 in years. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Let me try and explain it the best I can. It can be a bit complicated so bear with me! xD

Yeah that's helpful to know. Better than looking up some long GameFAQs guide about it that provides way more information than I care about. :)

I don't find it fun to spend time on "max stat" characters or character building in RPGs. I don't worry about who are the "low tier" characters in Fire Emblem games for example, I just use the ones who I like (looks, personality, starting role, etc.). Since I don't play on high difficulties, that strategy works fine for me. I know some people love that stuff but I have no interest in it.

Anyway, this is helpful, I'll stop hoarding Master Seals now. FE5 was one of the games where you could level to 20 in a base class, then level to 20 again in a promoted class and I was still in that mindset.

• Like 2

Great news for Switch owners: free Joy-Con repairs for drifting out-of-warranty products have apparently been extended to more countries! 

"You can set up a repair for affected Joy-Con controllers. Until further notice, Nintendo will not charge you in the European Economic Area (EEA), UK and Switzerland for the repair of the responsiveness syndrome irrespective of whether this is caused by a defect or by wear and tear."

In more detail on Nintendo UK site: 

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Contact/Repairs/Joy-Con-Control-Sticks-Are-Not-Responding-or-Respond-Incorrectly-responsiveness-syndrome-or-so-called-drifting--1867803.html

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-Switch/Control-Sticks-Are-Not-Responding-or-Respond-Incorrectly-on-Nintendo-Switch-Lite-responsiveness-syndrome-or-so-called-drifting--1659549.html

Edited by Eyjabria
Link for Switch Lite
  • Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 6:22 AM, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah that's helpful to know. Better than looking up some long GameFAQs guide about it that provides way more information than I care about. :)

I don't find it fun to spend time on "max stat" characters or character building in RPGs. I don't worry about who are the "low tier" characters in Fire Emblem games for example, I just use the ones who I like (looks, personality, starting role, etc.). Since I don't play on high difficulties, that strategy works fine for me. I know some people love that stuff but I have no interest in it.

Anyway, this is helpful, I'll stop hoarding Master Seals now. FE5 was one of the games where you could level to 20 in a base class, then level to 20 again in a promoted class and I was still in that mindset.

Yeah, and full disclosure,  I think everyone is usable if you know how to use them correctly and that's what makes Fire Emblem so great. I have not used Clanne in either playthrough, but I know others that really liked him because he has crazy speed stats for a mage and can be a menace with Lyn and Alacrity+ in late game and kill a lot of tanky bosses. That never even crossed my mind.

There's also a large amount of people who love using Chloé,  but I thought she was pretty underwhelming in my hard mode playthrough. Same for Anna. My friend really liked using Alfred, Anna, Diamante,  and Jade (characters I didn't use much) while I really liked using Panette, Louis, Goldmary, and Céline (characters he didn't use much). We all build our characters a little differently and that's what makes playing through it multiple times really fun.

• Like 2

Done with Faron Woods in Breath of the Wild. Embarassed to say that I missed out on the Eventide Island Quest and Lurelin Village, but that's what second playthroughs are for lol. 

Beat over half the shrines and got the Master Sword and I'm now in Gerudo Town. Love exploring the desert and I'm currently chasing after shrine quests. 

Also, I noticed this time around that if you attempt Vah Rudania (Death Mountain) first, you'll come across lots of ores that you can sell for tons of rupees, which is pretty helpful early on.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NullRay85 said:

Done with Faron Woods in Breath of the Wild. Embarassed to say that I missed out on the Eventide Island Quest and Lurelin Village, but that's what second playthroughs are for lol. 

Beat over half the shrines and got the Master Sword and I'm now in Gerudo Town. Love exploring the desert and I'm currently chasing after shrine quests. 

Also, I noticed this time around that if you attempt Vah Rudania (Death Mountain) first, you'll come across lots of ores that you can sell for tons of rupees, which is pretty helpful early on.

Reading your thoughts and progress on it legit makes me want to go back into the world and explore again. I legit would just explore for hours, look down at my phone, and go, "Oh shit, I've been playing for 3 hours!" xD

Keep up the posts; they've been fun to read!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

Is there any reason to keep my original launch model after i transfer everything if I'm not planning to jailbreak?

may sell it to my sister with a few games for a deal.

Probably going to give mine to my little brother, tbh. lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

its just the Nintendo account since i think i read those are system specific. IE. i cant log into my switch account on your console?

@Beyondthegrave07 is the resident switch man, maybe can shed some light?

It shouldn't take long at all. It'll probably take longer to update the new console to the newest version, log into your Nintendo Switch account, connect to wifi, and figure out how to do the transfer than the transfer itself.

Never done it myself, but from what my friends have told me and read elsewhere, it'll only take a few mins if you keep the consoles close together. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

It shouldn't take long at all. It'll probably take longer to update the new console to the newest version, log into your Nintendo Switch account, connect to wifi, and figure out how to do the transfer than the transfer itself.

Never done it myself, but from what my friends have told me and read elsewhere, it'll only take a few mins if you keep the consoles close together. 

So it'll be like my phone then. Not bad, though i just realized ill need to buy a new case and screen protector ? 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 7:24 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Reading your thoughts and progress on it legit makes me want to go back into the world and explore again. I legit would just explore for hours, look down at my phone, and go, "Oh shit, I've been playing for 3 hours!" xD

Keep up the posts; they've been fun to read!

Thanks, will do! Yeah, the game's so big that it's easy to get lost in, especially when you go off the beaten path to find some neat goodies. I got the expansion pass on discount a while ago, so it was my reason to jump back in. 

When I'm done with BOTW and the DLCs I'm planning on checking out Age of Calamity despite the tech issues it had since I really loved the first Hyrule Warriors game.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ziggypossum said:

Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II will be available for $11.99 each, while Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, and Final Fantasy VI will cost $17.99 each. All six games can be purchased as a bundle for $74.99.

Pre-orders are available now via Nintendo eShop. PlayStation Store sales will go live at a later date.

Damn, that's pretty pricey considering I could get most of these on PS3 for 6-$10. I was expecting them to all be around 10-$12.

Might just wait for a sale. I got plenty of other RPGs to play. Haha.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Damn, that's pretty pricey considering I could get most of these on PS3 for 6-$10. I was expecting them to all be around 10-$12.

Might just wait for a sale. I got plenty of other RPGs to play. Haha.

Yeah, as ive discussed at length with Midnight, i bought the physical to just keep in a protective case. I only have interest in playing FF6, but still a bit pricey considering i have FF Anthology collection that has 6 and Chrono Trigger.

My RPG backlog is daunting. I hate myself.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2023 at 8:13 AM, ziggypossum said:

Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II will be available for $11.99 each, while Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, and Final Fantasy VI will cost $17.99 each. All six games can be purchased as a bundle for $74.99.

Pre-orders are available now via Nintendo eShop. PlayStation Store sales will go live at a later date.

Yikes. Definitely waiting on a future sale for this for PS4. 

I'm not a FF fan as I've only ever played XV and didn't care for it. But thought it'd be interesting to jump into it right from the beginning...but that'll have to wait lol. 

• Like 2

Finally beat all four Divine Beasts! Naboris was a brain-twister for sure but easily my favorite! Also got the Master Sword and I fully upgraded my stamina wheel, which now makes climbing up mountains and cliffs a lot more easier. Before I head to Hyrule Castle for the big fight, I'm doing some last-minute exploration.

I'm embarassed to say that I've missed out on the Hebra region in my first playthrough since the Rito Domain just didn't interest me all that much. I've just climbed the region's tower and with that, I fully unlocked the map. I'm hunting for shrines to stock up on hearts for the final boss and I played the bowling mini-game, which was surprisingly difficult. (The Gerudo Sand Seal mini-game is way more fun.)

I remembered that the road to Hyrule Castle is filled with Guardians so I'm thinking of hunting some in Akkala to craft the Guardian Armor. I already have the money but lacking on the materials ( I love theme that plays when you're spotted by them). I found all of the great fairies and I've been upgrading my gear, but the last one took over 10,000 rupees from me...

All in all, so far so good. I've seen some videos of the Master Cycle and it looks nice so I can't wait to try it out after the main game.

• Like 3