Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Ah, like that. I thought you meant there was a set of 32, 24 or whatever of the rental games that would be repeated.

What makes you so sure they're not rental any more?

It's in various articles I read, e.g.: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/free-games-for-nintendo-switch-online-subscribers-/1100-6450512/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

On 2017-6-3 at 2:58 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Wow, that's awesome...

That's like if PS Now would be bundled with PS+, for a cheaper price, and without idiots with mics online!

On 2/6/2017 at 8:12 AM, BillyHorrible said:

I did see that trailer, forgot the name though. Sad to say I'm not into it at all. While this is one of the few semi-retro graphics I can actually get behind, the story/gameplay doesn't appeal to me. I'm almost never into RPG games.

I hope for you guys it's going to be good though. Seems like it's well made, at least.

Might as well try it in my eyes. We are in that period in the systems life where any game is worth a try before the library gets filled after the years.

8 hours ago, JesterZelfer96 said:

Might as well try it in my eyes. We are in that period in the systems life where any game is worth a try before the library gets filled after the years.

... Which game were we talking about back then again? xD

I'll try much, but not everything. Personally I'm buying a fair few Switch games already and there's several games out already that are still on my to-get list once I finish more of what I already have. I'm relatively certain about several games that I'll never get them, like King Of Fighters or that NBA game, without having to try them.

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'll never get them, like King Of Fighters or that NBA game, without having to try them.

KoF is another figher game.

Playgrounds is another NBA Jam game. 

If you like either genre, you'll like those two, if you don't, you won't.

Also, is this the thread I should be polluting with my crap? Because the other one seems pree dead tbh. Anyway, I clocked World of Goo like half an hour ago, not sure if it takes into account my time doing retries and stuff, but the in game clock says it took just over 9 hours to clock the thing. Pretty good game, fair few laughs here and there, difficulty level was pretty good, keeps you on your toes. Some levels were done on my first go in under a minute and others I swear I spent an hour on. Good level of variety too. I'd have loved if they could have pulled the price a bit more down to 10 bucks instead of 13 (it is a bit of an old game really, and it launched at that same price all those years ago) but it's well worth the 13 if you're gonna finish it. I tried playing with the remote a bit before and holy shit, I feel bad for people who played this on Wii, it's a great game on touch screen, but with those controls, I don't think I'd have stuck it out to the end, doesn't help that I have jittery hands (not helped by a good decade of caffeine abuse via copious amounts of Pepsi Max) either. Anyway, it was a good time, I trust your stamp so far dude. Good shit.

52 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Also, is this the thread I should be polluting with my crap? Because the other one seems pree dead tbh.

Which one is pretty dead? Because the event thread still has chatter, I thought.  Or do you mean that old general Switch thread? Because yeah that one is dead and buried.

52 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Anyway, I clocked World of Goo like half an hour ago, not sure if it takes into account my time doing retries and stuff, but the in game clock says it took just over 9 hours to clock the thing. Pretty good game, fair few laughs here and there, difficulty level was pretty good, keeps you on your toes. Some levels were done on my first go in under a minute and others I swear I spent an hour on. Good level of variety too. I'd have loved if they could have pulled the price a bit more down to 10 bucks instead of 13 (it is a bit of an old game really, and it launched at that same price all those years ago) but it's well worth the 13 if you're gonna finish it. I tried playing with the remote a bit before and holy shit, I feel bad for people who played this on Wii, it's a great game on touch screen, but with those controls, I don't think I'd have stuck it out to the end, doesn't help that I have jittery hands (not helped by a good decade of caffeine abuse via copious amounts of Pepsi Max) either. Anyway, it was a good time, I trust your stamp so far dude. Good shit.

Glad tou liked it, though I didn't have much doubt.

I played it on PC and Wii when it was new, I remember preferring the mouse controls but I don't recall the Wii controls being that horrible... Then again I played a bit of Wii earlier this year I jist couldn't get used to the controls so perhaps we'll just have to move on.

Now that I'm in the general Switch for Switch thread, I have to remark that I've noticed a bit of lag with the joycons when playing with more players the last time. Not as bad as people claimed beforehand but when we were Karting with four, I sat on the couch in relax position (one leg over the other, joycon in my lap) and I got turning right when I wasn't doing so or not turning when I tried to turn, once or twice on a track until I decided to sit straight, didn't have any more problems afterwards.

Come to think of it, might have been because the Switch was completely behind the television that time while I had it next to the television before. Might have to put it back on its old position.

15 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Which one is pretty dead? Because the event thread still has chatter, I thought.  Or do you mean that old general Switch thread? Because yeah that one is dead and buried.

Glad tou liked it, though I didn't have much doubt.

I played it on PC and Wii when it was new, I remember preferring the mouse controls but I don't recall the Wii controls being that horrible... Then again I played a bit of Wii earlier this year I jist couldn't get used to the controls so perhaps we'll just have to move on.

Now that I'm in the general Switch for Switch thread, I have to remark that I've noticed a bit of lag with the joycons when playing with more players the last time. Not as bad as people claimed beforehand but when we were Karting with four, I sat on the couch in relax position (one leg over the other, joycon in my lap) and I got turning right when I wasn't doing so or not turning when I tried to turn, once or twice on a track until I decided to sit straight, didn't have any more problems afterwards.

Come to think of it, might have been because the Switch was completely behind the television that time while I had it next to the television before. Might have to put it back on its old position.

I thought this was the old general Switch thread, there's a THIRD thread?

To be fair, the Wii controls for pretty well every game ever aren't for me. I remember Scarface, a game I've aced on PS2 countless times, being no fun at all to play through. 

I had issues from the get go, though weirdly mostly in Blaster Master. Considering for a while, that it and Fast RMX were all I had, that's not much of a surprise. What is a surprise is that the issue rarely, if ever, appeared in any of the subsequent games I purchased, regardless of where I sat. The other day I was on the bed, a good 2 or 3 metres from the Switch, with the controller under the doona with me playing NBA with the missus and the thing worked fine. So maybe, despite the fact it was physically shown to be a hardware thing, some games are affected more? Every now and then when I jump back into Blaster Master my guy will try to run to the corner, so it could very well be something that stupid.

5 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I thought this was the old general Switch thread, there's a THIRD thread?

There was a thread made when the Switch was revealed (I think it was from even before the Switch had its current name), which was getting a bit crowded with negative nancies not actually interested in Nintendo, so this thread was created for people to actually talk about Switch stuff without having to defend liking Nintendo every second post. After that, the event was created, which is often less crowded than this one because there's less people in there and it's only about games played, while this thread has more people and is also about upcoming games and whatnot.

5 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

To be fair, the Wii controls for pretty well every game ever aren't for me. I remember Scarface, a game I've aced on PS2 countless times, being no fun at all to play through. 

I had issues from the get go, though weirdly mostly in Blaster Master. Considering for a while, that it and Fast RMX were all I had, that's not much of a surprise. What is a surprise is that the issue rarely, if ever, appeared in any of the subsequent games I purchased, regardless of where I sat. The other day I was on the bed, a good 2 or 3 metres from the Switch, with the controller under the doona with me playing NBA with the missus and the thing worked fine. So maybe, despite the fact it was physically shown to be a hardware thing, some games are affected more? Every now and then when I jump back into Blaster Master my guy will try to run to the corner, so it could very well be something that stupid.

When playing on my own, I always use either the pro controller or I use the Switch in handheld mode so that might be why I feel like it's only happening when playing multiplayer. Removing whatever was between the controller and the Switch (mostly my own leg) has always fixed it for now, though.

On 3-6-2017 at 1:22 PM, Eyjabria said:

Whether you buy physical or digital, remember to use your My Nintendo reward points (and register your physical Switch games to your My Nintendo account). They're going to start offering rewards for Switch soon.

Just logged in there again, those gold coins are stacking up nicely, can't wait to get some cool rewards! Don't really see what I should do with my platinum coins though, I just got a whole bunch of them but I can't seem to use them for anything except some wallpapers I will never use anyways... (Edit: never mind, just saw that there's some discounts on 3DS / Wii U games that go on platinum coins as well, guess we'll get that for the Switch too.)

Also, thanks to my Switch points appearing I know for certain that I'm linked with my Switch account yet they're still talking about linking a Nintendo Network ID... I guess that's some old kind of ID for Wii U and 3DS.

I'm pleased about the pricing (and delay) of Switch online service fee. Quite reasonable price compared to competitors. I don't think I'm ever going to pay for PS Plus as I think it's overpriced and offers nothing for me. 

For me it offers a lot of fun games I haven't tried yet and didn't know about before they went on PS+ but if the IGC offers are not to your liking then I can get why it would be overpriced for you.

Are there any details about how the Switch online service subscription works for multiple accounts on the same device? Can people in the same household use the same subscription logged in their own accounts?

:dunno:

Edited by BillyHorrible

Excited for Pokken DX, I did buy the Wii U release and had quite a bit of fun with it since it has easy inputs for a fighter, so glad they're porting over to Switch with the new characters, finally get to play as my fav Pokemon, Scizor ?

39.jpg

Plus Decidueye looks pretty neat and Litten/Popplio support 

13.jpg

5 hours ago, blazeaire said:

Excited for Pokken DX, I did buy the Wii U release and had quite a bit of fun with it since it has easy inputs for a fighter, so glad they're porting over to Switch with the new characters, finally get to play as my fav Pokemon, Scizor 1f60a.png

39.jpg

Plus Decidueye looks pretty neat and Litten/Popplio support 

13.jpg

Okay, so I guess if it's coming to Switch then I should look into this game some more... What exactly is it, just a fighting game? Is it turn-based like the main Pokémon games? How many Pokémon are in there?

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy Shakedown Hawaii is still listed as Q2... Meaning it should be released in less than four weeks.

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Okay, so I guess if it's coming to Switch then I should look into this game some more... What exactly is it, just a fighting game? Is it turn-based like the main Pokémon games? How many Pokémon are in there?

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy Shakedown Hawaii is still listed as Q2... Meaning it should be released in less than four weeks.

Yep, pure fighting game but also a pretty unique one since you can fight on both a 3D and 2D plane and there's a dedicated special button so special moves are really easy to pull off as well a triangle battle system where grabs beat counters, counters beat normal attacks and normal attacks beat grabs as well as a dedicated block and jump button.

Sounds confusing for sure but once you get into it's not that hard to grasp and the Switch ver will have 21 characters

pk2.png

Yes there's 2 Mewtwos and 2 Pikachus for whatever reason but they play pretty differently from each other thankfully, Blaziken was my main on Wii U but I'm definitely gonna try Scizor and even Empoleon to see what fits me best

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

Yep, pure fighting game but also a pretty unique one since you can fight on both a 3D and 2D plane and there's a dedicated special button so special moves are really easy to pull off as well a triangle battle system where grabs beat counters, counters beat normal attacks and normal attacks beat grabs as well as a dedicated block and jump button.

Sounds confusing for sure but once you get into it's not that hard to grasp and the Switch ver will have 21 characters

pk2.png

Yes there's 2 Mewtwos and 2 Pikachus for whatever reason but they play pretty differently from each other thankfully, Blaziken was my main on Wii U but I'm definitely gonna try Scizor and even Empoleon to see what fits me best

Thanks for the info. I just watched a gameplay video and it seems pretty cool. Is it full priced?

Too bad there's such a small roster. Guess it's regular for a fighting game but with so many Pokémon to choose from...

I'd probably pick Pikachu or Charizard, I guess. Empoleon was my man back in the day in his game, I also had a card dack based around him... Damn, I think I have so many Pokémon cards lying around somewhere....

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Thanks for the info. I just watched a gameplay video and it seems pretty cool. Is it full priced?

Too bad there's such a small roster. Guess it's regular for a fighting game but with so many Pokémon to choose from...

I'd probably pick Pikachu or Charizard, I guess. Empoleon was my man back in the day in his game, I also had a card dack based around him... Damn, I think I have so many Pokémon cards lying around somewhere....

Most likely yeah seeing MK8D was, Pikachu is a good choice since he's kinda an all round character but Charizard is too slow for me but all the Pokemon play pretty different to each other so you should definitely them all out to see what fits your playstyle

2 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

Most likely yeah seeing MK8D was, Pikachu is a good choice since he's kinda an all round character but Charizard is too slow for me but all the Pokemon play pretty different to each other so you should definitely them all out to see what fits your playstyle

So it was full priced on the Wii U then, I reckon.

They're just Pokémon I like :) I figured Charizard would be a Mighty Glacier type fighter, I don't mind - I often go for slow, but strong (or like Bowser in the Kart series and Samurai Goroh in the F-Zero series, slow accelleration but high top speed). Guess once this game is priced to my liking (I'm not that into fighting games usually so I don't mind waiting for a sale), I'll get it.

Still sad that the Switch will probably not get a "full" Pokémon game. Here's hoping the VC goes the "also handheld" route, since the 3DS has Red/Blue and I wouldn't mind getting those again (saw them on a flea market a couple of days ago but I figured the batteries would be dead anyway).

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

So it was full priced on the Wii U then, I reckon.

They're just Pokémon I like :) I figured Charizard would be a Mighty Glacier type fighter, I don't mind - I often go for slow, but strong (or like Bowser in the Kart series and Samurai Goroh in the F-Zero series, slow accelleration but high top speed). Guess once this game is priced to my liking (I'm not that into fighting games usually so I don't mind waiting for a sale), I'll get it.

Still sad that the Switch will probably not get a "full" Pokémon game. Here's hoping the VC goes the "also handheld" route, since the 3DS has Red/Blue and I wouldn't mind getting those again (saw them on a flea market a couple of days ago but I figured the batteries would be dead anyway).

Yeah I'm pretty shattered UltraSM was not for Switch, even just an upres port would be cool and I like fighting games but suck at pretty much all of them haha so I'm glad Pokken is so easy to play especially since Pokemon is one of my fav franchises

Skyrim trailer, pretty cool you can play as Link, still no release date though hmm

And another fighter for Switch! Pretty interesting that's it's using easy Smash like inputs which is good cuz the Switch has no dpad lol

If it's budget priced, might get, can never have enough anime fighters ?

So, the Nintendo Direct is tomorrow at 0930 PT, which I checked and is tomorrow 1830 for me (GMT+2, or CEST in this case (fuck daylight savings time)).

Was thinking about creating a new thread for it but may as well keep it in here since the Switch regulars check this thread anyway :)

Looking forward to Blade Strangers. I find the description of the control scheme (no quarter/half circle inputs) inviting. I liked the characters in Code of Princess on 3DS (not the awful English dub though) - I'm disappointed if they don't bring over Lady Zozo and Helga.

Okay, so recap, highlights...

Reveal: Kirby. New game, 2018. Looks to be four player co-op, action oriented. Awesome.

Reveal: Yoshi. New game, 2018(?). Looks to be (at least) two player co-op, platform oriented like the Yoshi's Island games, and an interesting camera swap technique. Awesome.

Reveal: There is a Pokémon RPG in development, probably not to be expected before 2019. Cool, after some recent statements by the devs (like feeling more comfortable with small screens because it demands less of the graphics) actually made me think there would never be a main Pokémon game for the Switch. First Pokémon game I'll get through since Y.

Reveal: There's a Metroid Prime 4 in development (2018). Awesome. Surely, this must be the game Retro Studios has been working on for the past four years. To my shame I must admit I never played through the third game, here's hoping for a collection later this year.

Any one of these games makes me happy, but Nintendo drops them all like a ton of bricks. I think I have to collect my thoughts for a while.

... And then there's so much new info on Super Mario Odyssey... Apparently Mario can use his hat to take over bodies now, and even cars. Cue Driver: San FranMario jokes. Looks to become an awesome game though.

I think Nintendo actually makes me feel proud with this. People were dismissive about the Switch, but I had faith - Nintendo showed us some awesome stuff, making me state that the Switch would be the best Nintendo console since the N64. So now I've been rewarded. Really, awesome news all around. The Switch will remain a huge success, no doubt about it any more. Guess I'll have this year to do something about my PlayStation backlog, keeping the Switch for the holidays, the Kart days with friends and for when I'm in bed but don't feel like reading a book. Then next year, the Switch can become my main console while I keep the PS4 for graphics powerhouses like Assassin's Creed, Horizon Zero Dawn and the likes.

Only bad thing: Super Mario Odyssey seems to release October 27th, the same day as Assassin's Creed Origins. Guess I'll have to take a couple of days off from work. Yeah, my problems are real.

Bunch of Switch announcement ? I'm so so glad they didn't focus on 3DS at all during the conference, it's good to show strong support right off the gate even if some games aren't coming for awhile

Mario is definitely the hypest one though, you can freaking controls enemies!!

And Zelda DLC looks cool but ofc there's more amiibo cuz why not lol, finally a HD Kirby is cool too although I wish we could finally get a 3D one, FE Warriors looks awesome and so glad my girl Corrin is in 

20 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

Oh man, my hype for that Mario/Rabbids game went from a 4 to a 10.  It looks really good.  I won't spoil anything for those of you who haven't seen the reveal trailer but hoo boy.  

Yeah it looks interesting gameplay wise, not many RPGs besides Xcom play that way so curious how it turns out

2 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

there's more amiibo cuz why not lol

Shoot, the games sideswiped me so hard I forgot about this! Reallt want Mipha, possibly Revali as well!

Also entirely missed that we got zero info about the Virtual Console. Really expected something about it, paid online is four months away I think.

Sonic Mania Switch gameplay. 

I'm getting the game on PS4 but it looks fantastic on Switch too. Hell, I may get it on both consoles to support 2D Sonic and show Sega that this is what we want more of. 

Parker