Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

18 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Man, you're playing the hell out of your Switch! You're shaming me into admitting I haven't finished the Ganon fight and need to go back and do that.

Well I've basically had a month nearly off my course, you get the standard 2 weeks but also a student free week and a week in which you can do placement, despite us ONLY being allowed to do it at the predetermined times anyway, but I'm not complaining. But on top of that, we've all had damn near every bug under the sun the last month, so I've mostly been sitting at home with the missus and bub, and whenever Billie's down, I'm playing on dat Switch.

13 hours ago, DuckSwimmer said:

So excited for Splatoon 2 this Friday! I got the game, headset and all the Splatoon amiibos (and others)  reserved and so hyped to get them on Friday \o/

11 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Heh, same! We have reserved the game and the 3 new Splatoon amiibos. Also going to eat fried squid rings on Friday. ?

May I ask you guys 2 things?

1. Did you play the original?

2. Are you going in for only the multiplayer?

I fired up the original for the first time in a long while the other day to burn through the story before the second one and I was so bored that after half an hour I gave up and realized I ain't gonna be touching the story on the second either if it's anything like this. MP was brilliant in the first, but I got my fill and the testfire for number 2 honestly felt identical. Tempting anyway, since I'd never have to plug the Wii U in again ever (until my fat PS3 dies and I bust Wii U out for GameCube HD) probably gonna get it, but I don't think it's gonna be worth the asking price honestly, if in my position.

1 minute ago, blazeaire said:

I had another go at the recent Splatoon testfire and yeah just wasn't for me sorry, you guys enjoy it though! ? I've already played Bayo 1/2 on Wii U so won't buy a port but a new game from Platinum would be cool

Every sentence in this post made me sad ?

Shame the testfire did nothing to convince you to pick up this game. Hopefully there are other games on the Switch that will interest you in the future ?

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I fired up the original for the first time in a long while the other day to burn through the story before the second one and I was so bored that after half an hour I gave up and realized I ain't gonna be touching the story on the second either if it's anything like this. MP was brilliant in the first, but I got my fill and the testfire for number 2 honestly felt identical. Tempting anyway, since I'd never have to plug the Wii U in again ever (until my fat PS3 dies and I bust Wii U out for GameCube HD) probably gonna get it, but I don't think it's gonna be worth the asking price honestly, if in my position.

I bought the original Splatoon on release day and it's my most played Wii U title. I mostly play the online multiplayer (Turf Wars, haven't played ranked matches) but I enjoyed the single player campaign + the amiibo challenges in the first one too. Splatoon 2's single player campaign also seems like it is more fleshed out so looking forward to it and Salmon Run seems like a great addition. Hoping I will find a new weapon as good fit for me as Splash-o-matic used to be. 

Sorry to hear the game might not be your cup of tea. The first game's single player campaign last boss fight is pretty epic IMO. ?

5 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I am 99% a singleplayer gamer, so MP has very little place in my life. I have been burned too many times by multiplayer games that claimed to have decent singleplayer components (at least I never believed that hype with Destiny). So I never played Splatoon. I don't see anything in the Splatoon 2 pre-release info to push me into getting it either.

Don't let me get the rest of you down though, that's just me. I'm the one Nintendo fan who doesn't like Smash and who doesn't get my money's worth out of Mario Kart (mostly buying it for nostalgia every time they make a new one). And hell, I've never finished a Zelda game or any of the Metroid Primes! I'm working on those last two things though.

19 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I am 99% a singleplayer gamer, so MP has very little place in my life. I have been burned too many times by multiplayer games that claimed to have decent singleplayer components (at least I never believed that hype with Destiny). So I never played Splatoon. I don't see anything in the Splatoon 2 pre-release info to push me into getting it either.

Don't let me get the rest of you down though, that's just me. I'm the one Nintendo fan who doesn't like Smash and who doesn't get my money's worth out of Mario Kart (mostly buying it for nostalgia every time they make a new one). And hell, I've never finished a Zelda game or any of the Metroid Primes! I'm working on those last two things though.

I actually never liked online multiplayer games (aside from PVE MMOs) until I tried Splatoon. At first I was hesitant whether I'd like it but after trying it in a Global Testfire I fell in love with the co-op team gameplay. I take it you didn't have a chance to try any of the demo sessions? 

But yeah, I understand not everyone likes the game - I'm not interested in all kinds of games either. If you're not interested in the multiplayer at all, I don't think Splatoon is worth getting as the main point of the game is the multiplayer - the single player campaign is just additional content. 

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

I actually never liked online multiplayer games (aside from PVE MMOs) until I tried Splatoon. At first I was hesitant whether I'd like it but after trying it in a Global Testfire I fell in love with the co-op team gameplay. I take it you didn't have a chance to try any of the demo sessions? 

But yeah, I understand not everyone likes the game - I'm not interested in all kinds of games either. If you're not interested in the multiplayer at all, I don't think Splatoon is worth getting as the main point of the game is the multiplayer - the single player campaign is just additional content. 

No, those scheduled demo sessions for online games never work out for me. Having a toddler and an infant means the weekends are usually pretty crazy.

I hate PVE MMOs (back in the day I played WoW and Star Trek Online for a while but got so sick of them that I swore off the whole genre) so my tastes are pretty different from yours.

I do like co-op multiplayer, but usually when it takes the form of drop-in, drop-out stuff in open world singleplayer games. So I don't think Splatoon or the sequel are for me. It does look like a well-made game though, so I hope it lives up to the hype for those of you who are getting it.

6 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

Every sentence in this post made me sad 1f62d.png

Shame the testfire did nothing to convince you to pick up this game. Hopefully there are other games on the Switch that will interest you in the future 1f44d.png

Hah yeah thanks, sadly for this year I think pretty much only Mario Odyssey and Pokken is a definite buy for me but hopefully Sonic Forces and Rabbids turn out well as I'm definitely interested in those

9 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Well I've basically had a month nearly off my course, you get the standard 2 weeks but also a student free week and a week in which you can do placement, despite us ONLY being allowed to do it at the predetermined times anyway, but I'm not complaining. But on top of that, we've all had damn near every bug under the sun the last month, so I've mostly been sitting at home with the missus and bub, and whenever Billie's down, I'm playing on dat Switch.

I did play the original, I found it alright. I never finished the story though, I don't remember why.

I'm going to be playing the story just because if the amiibos are going to work like the previous ones, you're going to need to get to a certain part of the story in order to unlock and be able to do certain challenges, but I'll definitely be playing Multiplayer as well.

12 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That's me completely. Splatoon 1 was one of the few games to break through and got a faaaaaair few hours of MP out of me. 

One of two. I tried Smash on 64 and it wasn't fun. I tried Smash on Game Cube and it wasn't fun. I tried Smash on a friend's 3DS and it wasn't fun. I tried the Smash demo on my 3DS and it wasn't fun. I've tried enough Smash for one lifetime, it's just not that good. Meanwhile, I actually enjoyed PS All-Stars a decent amount more than I thought I would have.

7 hours ago, DuckSwimmer said:

I did play the original, I found it alright. I never finished the story though, I don't remember why.

I'm going to be playing the story just because if the amiibos are going to work like the previous ones, you're going to need to get to a certain part of the story in order to unlock and be able to do certain challenges, but I'll definitely be playing Multiplayer as well.

What do the amiibos even do in this game? I've never had an interest in buying something like that as a toy, so to me they basically just represent locked off content.

15 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I bought the original Splatoon on release day and it's my most played Wii U title. I mostly play the online multiplayer (Turf Wars, haven't played ranked matches) but I enjoyed the single player campaign + the amiibo challenges in the first one too. Splatoon 2's single player campaign also seems like it is more fleshed out so looking forward to it and Salmon Run seems like a great addition. Hoping I will find a new weapon as good fit for me as Splash-o-matic used to be. 

Sorry to hear the game might not be your cup of tea. The first game's single player campaign last boss fight is pretty epic IMO. 1f60e.png

What's the amiibo challenges? Do they make the campaign better or? 

I'll be getting it anyway for the MP in all likelihood, but since I'm not interested in the SP so far, and the MP is very similar to the first...

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

That's me completely. Splatoon 1 was one of the few games to break through and got a faaaaaair few hours of MP out of me. 

One of two. I tried Smash on 64 and it wasn't fun. I tried Smash on Game Cube and it wasn't fun. I tried Smash on a friend's 3DS and it wasn't fun. I tried the Smash demo on my 3DS and it wasn't fun. I've tried enough Smash for one lifetime, it's just not that good. Meanwhile, I actually enjoyed PS All-Stars a decent amount more than I thought I would have.

What do the amiibos even do in this game? I've never had an interest in buying something like that as a toy, so to me they basically just represent locked off content.

I'll be getting it anyway for the MP in all likelihood, but since I'm not interested in the SP so far, and the MP is very similar to the first...

They give you exclusive outfits. All of the old ones work, including Marie and Callie (I think those were their names?) .. The new ones Girl -> Gives you this School Uniform. Boy -> Gives you this Ninja outfit. Squid -> Gives you this robot looking costume. All of the original three characters give you the same items as they did in the first one. Callie and Marie give you these casual looking outfits.

6 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

The amiibos added challenges to play single player with different weapon types (Inkling Girl = Charger, Inkling Boy = Roller) or as a Kraken (Squid amiibo), some with a limited amount of ink and some with a time limit. Completing the challenges unlocked minigames, special gear and weapons to use in multiplayer mode.

13 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

For me it's not that Smash is bad... it's apparently very good at what it does, judging by the rabid fanbase. The problem with Smash is that I hate fighting games. It's one of the genres I just can't enjoy.

I guess I need to try Splatoon 1 or 2 at some point. I wonder if Splatoon 2 will be a demo game at Gamestop or something.

8 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

For me it's not that Smash is bad... it's apparently very good at what it does, judging by the rabid fanbase. The problem with Smash is that I hate fighting games. It's one of the genres I just can't enjoy.

I guess I need to try Splatoon 1 or 2 at some point. I wonder if Splatoon 2 will be a demo game at Gamestop or something.

Some participating GameStops(one's that have switch displays) yes

Also for those who are going to be using voice chat. There's an app you have to download on your phone called Nintendo Switch Online, if I'm not mistaken by the name.

• Like 1

Tomorrow is the day, squids. :highfive:

Have my nails done with Splatoon inspired colors, pre-order for Splatoon 2 is in, pre-order for Splatoon 2 amiibos is in, squid rings purchased, apartment cleaned, Splatoon shirt washed, Switch Joy-Cons charged. My body is ready.

Edited by Eyjabria
  • Like 1

I picked up Splatoon an hour or so back. I've got 15 minutes until my hour lunch break. I finally figured out how to get my Switch to work on the internet here. I am so keen.

also, Retro City Rampage is coming to Switch in a week or so and I love the game to death, but I've got it on 3DS, PS Vita, PS3, PS4, and bloody PSP. $22.50 is a decent chunk of cheddar to dump on something I've already got on 5 other machines, but if it was maybe 10 or so I'd still jump back in while waiting for Shakedown Hawaii. If you've somehow not played it yet, it's really worth it though.

Got my amiibos and Splatoon 2!! Played it for a bit last night and it's really fun. 

The only upsetting thing is this.

2HmvOgQRT0uhpRkur771mw.png

I ordered this back on the 10th of July. The release day for it was yesterday and was supposed to get to me yesterday... Clearly it was never even sent out so.. :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DuckSwimmer said:

Got my amiibos and Splatoon 2!! Played it for a bit last night and it's really fun. 

The only upsetting thing is this.

2HmvOgQRT0uhpRkur771mw.png

I ordered this back on the 10th of July. The release day for it was yesterday and was supposed to get to me yesterday... Clearly it was never even sent out so.. :(

Both me and my husband are enjoying Splatoon 2 a lot as well. I played Turf Wars until 1:30 AM last night and got my inkling to lv 8. Even tried playing with a slosher for the first time and I kind of liked it except it wasn't that good for covering turf. Oh, and also ordered some gear from SplatNet. Now I'm going to try Salmon Run. Here's my current fashionable getup.

DFW5nrMU0AA5bm-.jpg

What type of weapon do you usually use? 

I wanted that headset because it looks really cool but can't find any retailer selling it here. I'll have to see if I need to order it abroad. Didn't know it's that affordable.

Edited by Eyjabria
Added pic of my fashionable squid.

Splatoon 2: Those squid sister things are really annoying, so instead of getting rid of them, we're gonna just change them into basically the same thing but with different names and you still can't skip them whenever you turn the game on, stay hooked or whatever.

On 18/07/2017 at 10:33 AM, Eyjabria said:

Splatoon 2's single player campaign

... There is a single player campaign? 0.o

Good to see you're all enjoying Splatoon 2. It's not really for me; I tend to dislike multiplayer games unless they're fun offline stuff like Kart or Party, but seldom do I like online multiplayer games.

I think I already mentioned getting Snake Pass in the sale. I've played through ithe first two worlds now and I'm halfway through the third world, I think out of four. I think it's a really awesome game and I'm glad to have supported these devs.

I bought both Death Squared and Bulb Boy a few days ago.

Death Squared: amazing puzzle game and very funny. My wife once claimed that the games I love the most are the ones that make me swear with anger, and this game is certainly up there. Figuring out the solution can be a lot easier than actually performing it at times. All in all, it's not too bad though and even puzzle newbies should be able to get through this game. Can't wait to try out the multiplayer modes with friends!

Bulb Boy: I've only finished the first two rooms but I'm already loving this game. It's so funny and weird... Some reviewer compared it to Courage The Cowardly Dog (if you still remember that one) and while I'm not completely sold on the comparison, it does strike a few of the same chords.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 2