Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, BillyHorrible said:

Well, the game màkes fun of golf a bit as well. A lot, actually. It's really not so much a golf game as it is a humorous RPG with SNES-type golf elements.

I'm not into golf myself at all but I really like Golf Story.

Stop tempting me! $15 is at the price point where I don't hesitate as much, also. There are a lot of indie games that are $20 (or higher!) which I am more careful about. Generally speaking those have to be games I'm really excited about, like Axiom Verge or SteamWorld Dig 2. 

7 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Stop tempting me! $15 is at the price point where I don't hesitate as much, also. There are a lot of indie games that are $20 (or higher!) which I am more careful about. Generally speaking those have to be games I'm really excited about, like Axiom Verge or SteamWorld Dig 2. 

That's a big selling point of Golf Story - it's so cheap and you get so many hours out of it that it practically doesn't matter. As much as I liked Axiom Verge and Thimbleweed Park... I like Golf Story more, precisely because it's not just reminiscing on Metroid or LucasArts games, but it's decidedly doing its own thing.

I'll stop tempting you after this: Golf Story definitely gets the coveted BillyHorrible's Stamp Of Approval.

Edited by BillyHorrible
Hours, not jours - though really it's saying the same basic sentiment

15 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

That's a big selling point of Golf Story - it's so cheap and you get so many hours out of it that it practically doesn't matter. As much as I liked Axiom Verge and Thimbleweed Park... I like Golf Story more, precisely because it's not just reminiscing on Metroid or LucasArts games, but it's decidedly doing its own thing.

I'll stop tempting you after this: Golf Story definitely gets the coveted BillyHorrible's Stamp Of Approval.

Damn, that's a convincing argument. I may have to pull the trigger. 

I started playing Wonderful 101 on Wii U again. I hope PlatinumGames ports it to Switch, along with Bayonetta 2. It's a fun, silly game that doesn't take itself too seriously. 

Spoiler

WVW69kst_U34l_Gvq3_5.jpg

10 hours ago, Valyrious said:

I think we can officially say that the Vita is dead.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-17-sony-music-to-release-indie-game-on-nintendo-switch

It has been for ages, and honestly Sony should have just buried it in the ground several years ago... but this just cements its funeral.

Yeah I saw that. I don't think it's weird that a Sony devision publishes for Nintendo but I do think it's weird that said game is not coming to the Vita.

The Vita could have been so good... More games to appeal to the western audience, and a docking station, and it could be amazing. Still an uncomfortable grip for me but I since found out there are extension grips for the Vita.

On another topic, it's possible that I played more Stardew Valley than South Park last night. I had a late day at work , and combined with dinner and downloading the update and stuff I was ready toplay at eight or eight thirtyor something. Really liked the new game and already laughed uncontrollably a few times. Somewhere just after ten, I decided to quit, walk the dog and get ready for bed, where I would play a bit of Stardew Valley until I would be too tired.

... Well, at some point I noticed it was already past 2AM, so I decided that turning off the Switch and going to sleep would be the wise choice...

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah I saw that. I don't think it's weird that a Sony devision publishes for Nintendo but I do think it's weird that said game is not coming to the Vita.

The Vita could have been so good... More games to appeal to the western audience, and a docking station, and it could be amazing. Still an uncomfortable grip for me but I since found out there are extension grips for the Vita.

It does seem strange that Sony's side division is not bringing that game to Vita, but they abandoned the Vita in terms of first and second party games a long time ago. What will be interesting, is if indie developers abandon the Vita in the next year or so, "Switching" to another platform instead. :P 

Yesterday I read an article where an indie dev complained that Nintendo's story vetting process is a pain, giving the impression that there are indie games just waiting in the wings for Nintendo's eShop team to give them the green light. In that sense, some indie devs may keep making Vita ports to crank out games more quickly. But I have also seen indie devs praise the Switch for being their biggest platform in terms of sales. One theory is that this is due to no Virtual Console games to compete with indie games. There may be something to that idea. I recall that you (@BillyHorrible) suggested that a Switch Virtual Console would cannabilize first party games sales, which I disagreed with at the time. I still think selling Ocarina of Time a week before or after Breath of the Wild would not hurts the newer game's sales at all, but I can definitely see VC sales potentially taking attention away from indie games. 

Recently I started taking both my Vita and Switch to work, since they both fit easily in my backback. The thing is, I still have a decent backlog on Vita, and I don't find it uncomfortable for me. But... if the Switch eventually gets all the JRPGs, Visual Novels, and other niche genres where the Vita stands out, I could see myself eventually retiring my Vita. I do love my Vita, and it's definitely more portable, but the Switch is a great portable. I am excited to have more full-blown AAA game experiences on a handheld, which is the one area where Sony REALLY dropped the ball with the Vita. It's still great for JRPGs and a few other types of games, but very few of them push the hardware the way BotW, Mario Odyssey, and other games are doing on Switch. 

In terms of my Switch games, I'm almost done with World of Goo. What a great game. I'm enjoying Mario+Rabbids, although some battles are pretty tricky. Certain upgrades make a huge difference, and I also find that restarting a battle helps when the battle just goes completely south. I'm glad that the game offers that flexibility and manages to be challenging, while still approachable for people who don't want to be overly frustrating. It's a good balance so far (I'm on the 8th stage of World 1, which I assume is near the end of World 1). I also like playing a couple of Picross S puzzles each day, which helps me relax and challenge my brain. My only complaint so far is that I wish it was Nintendo themed. If it's an exclusive, why not feature Nintendo art and designs? That would make it more fun. Still a good game though. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

I'm going to get the network adapter tonight as I've given up on the Wifi. With that said I'm almost %100 sure I'll get Bomberman and maybe the pro controller and Ultra Sf2, It's tough to stop myself from buying Zelda but the Wii U Version is pretty damn awesome tbh. I can't help but to notice that there's an SMT coming out, It has a place holder on Australian stores (Retail stores) so we must be getting an English version. Pretty damn excited about this after watching the available videos, The opening brings me back to smt1 and 2 on the Snes.

Edited by Z1MZUM

5 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

I'm going to get the network adapter tonight as I've given up on the Wifi. With that said I'm almost %100 sure I'll get Bomberman and maybe the pro controller and Ultra Sf2, It's tough to stop myself from buying Zelda but the Wii U Version is pretty damn awesome tbh. I can't help but to notice that there's an SMT coming out, It has a place holder on Australian stores (Retail stores) so we must be getting an English version. Pretty damn excited about this after watching the available videos, The opening brings me back to smt1 and 2 on the Snes.

My WiFi works fine, except at work where the WPA2 Enterprise network isn't supported, and the guest network doesn't work either because of webpage redirect trickery that the Switch's limited browser doesn't support. But I have a question. Do you know if the Ethernet adapter works in handheld mode? The Hori one uses a regular full-size USB plug, which could theoretically work in handheld mode making use a USB-C adapter (like newer Macs and Windows laptops use). But knowing Nintendo, I wonder if that USB-C port on the Switch tablet won't work that way. 

I saw last night that the Switch got the 4.0 firmware update, which adds some neat features like video capture support. So that was nice. And also, I did see the eShop addition of the Games on Sale section, which I asked for earlier. The eShop still needs some work to bring it up to Wii U standards, but it does have some advantages (loading much quicker, navigating quicker, etc.). I miss the eShop music too. Also, why does Nintendo have so much trouble with search engines? I remember the ones on the 3DS and Wii U eShops were wonky but mostly reliable. On the Switch, meanwhile, I can search for Syberia and not get any results (which could be because it's not out yet, but it IS in the Coming Soon section so it should show up). 

I'm almost done with World of Goo, and I'm still on the first world in Mario+Rabbids. I definitely don't need more games before Super Mario Odyssey comes out. 

On 18/10/2017 at 2:22 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

It does seem strange that Sony's side division is not bringing that game to Vita, but they abandoned the Vita in terms of first and second party games a long time ago. What will be interesting, is if indie developers abandon the Vita in the next year or so, "Switching" to another platform instead. :P 

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that the Switch is already much more popular with indie devs than the Vita (at least devs with a western audience). It remains to be seen how well the indie devs fare once the AAA list starts growing.

Yesterday I read an article where an indie dev complained that Nintendo's story vetting process is a pain, giving the impression that there are indie games just waiting in the wings for Nintendo's eShop team to give them the green light. In that sense, some indie devs may keep making Vita ports to crank out games more quickly. But I have also seen indie devs praise the Switch for being their biggest platform in terms of sales. One theory is that this is due to no Virtual Console games to compete with indie games. There may be something to that idea. I recall that you (@BillyHorrible) suggested that a Switch Virtual Console would cannabilize first party games sales, which I disagreed with at the time. I still think selling Ocarina of Time a week before or after Breath of the Wild would not hurts the newer game's sales at all, but I can definitely see VC sales potentially taking attention away from indie games. 

I think we read the same thing. One of Freedom Planet's devs, right? I would pick up that game on the Switch, for the right price. I do think that Nintendo's vetting is a good thing though.

Who is this BillyHorrible you try to talk to? :dance:

I still think VC would undermine AAA games as well, but yeah it would hurt indie devs even more.

Recently I started taking both my Vita and Switch to work, since they both fit easily in my backback. The thing is, I still have a decent backlog on Vita, and I don't find it uncomfortable for me. But... if the Switch eventually gets all the JRPGs, Visual Novels, and other niche genres where the Vita stands out, I could see myself eventually retiring my Vita. I do love my Vita, and it's definitely more portable, but the Switch is a great portable. I am excited to have more full-blown AAA game experiences on a handheld, which is the one area where Sony REALLY dropped the ball with the Vita. It's still great for JRPGs and a few other types of games, but very few of them push the hardware the way BotW, Mario Odyssey, and other games are doing on Switch. 

There's more wrong with the Vita than just that in my eyes, but let's not open that can of worms :)

In terms of my Switch games, I'm almost done with World of Goo. What a great game. I'm enjoying Mario+Rabbids, although some battles are pretty tricky. Certain upgrades make a huge difference, and I also find that restarting a battle helps when the battle just goes completely south. I'm glad that the game offers that flexibility and manages to be challenging, while still approachable for people who don't want to be overly frustrating. It's a good balance so far (I'm on the 8th stage of World 1, which I assume is near the end of World 1). I also like playing a couple of Picross S puzzles each day, which helps me relax and challenge my brain. My only complaint so far is that I wish it was Nintendo themed. If it's an exclusive, why not feature Nintendo art and designs? That would make it more fun. Still a good game though. 

Mario+Rabbids spiked in difficulty for me at the final boss of world three, the most difficult boss in the game in my eyes.

They make general Picross games and the occasional Nintendo themed one. I would pay double for the same number of puzzles without thinking if they were Nintendo themed (though then I would still be hoping on puzzles that are a bit larger).

9 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that the Switch is already much more popular with indie devs than the Vita (at least devs with a western audience). It remains to be seen how well the indie devs fare once the AAA list starts growing.

That's quite possible. As I said indie games on Switch are selling like hotcakes so the indie devs have to love that. But I wonder if that is largely because the shop is new and has little competition for some games (e.g. Axiom Verge and World of Goo have no direct competitors on the Switch). I think Nintendo is trying to build up the indie audience, which is a good thing. It's great to have $20 and under games available alongside the arguably overpriced $50 Super Bomberman R, and the full blown first party games like Zelda and Mario. 

12 minutes ago, Cubone said:

I think we read the same thing. One of Freedom Planet's devs, right? I would pick up that game on the Switch, for the right price. I do think that Nintendo's vetting is a good thing though.

The article I read didn't identify that dev's game, at least not that I could see. But I don't follow devs on Twitter or anything, so maybe this person was a "gaming celebrity" and most people recognized him or her and that went over my head. 

I agree about Nintendo's vetting, as long as it doesn't slow down indie games coming to the platform too much. Maybe they need to add more people to that team? One issue the Wii U arguably had is that there was a lot of shovelware on the eShop (similar to the Wii's retail shovelware), and Nintendo may be vetting the Switch more carefully in response to that. 

14 minutes ago, Cubone said:

There's more wrong with the Vita than just that in my eyes, but let's not open that can of worms :)

Even as a big fan of the Vita, I think one of its biggest problems is not improving enough on the PSP. Adding a second analog stick was great, and improved on the 3DS even, but the lack of L2/R2 and L3/R3 buttons crippled its ability to be seamless for Remote Play (some games work great in Remote Play, but every developer has to handle those missing buttons in their own way, and some of the implementations are horrible to control) and truly create a handheld experience that was nearly equivalent to a full-blown console experience. The Switch addresses all of those shortcomings. The only thing it doesn't do is trophies (not a big deal for me), and it doesn't fit in my pocket. I can live with that. 

23 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Mario+Rabbids spiked in difficulty for me at the final boss of world three, the most difficult boss in the game in my eyes.

They make general Picross games and the occasional Nintendo themed one. I would pay double for the same number of puzzles without thinking if they were Nintendo themed (though then I would still be hoping on puzzles that are a bit larger).

I had trouble in world 1 when the game first introduced a battle that was about surviving rather than wiping out the enemies. Once I restarted and played more intelligently, it went much better. Also, upgrading skills to be able to heal makes a big difference. I do wish the game let you use a 4-person team though. How come I can only use 3 when I'm fighting 8 enemies? Yes I know I have more health but still. Anyway, I'm enjoying it despite my minor complaints. So far the balance has been very good. 

On the subject of Nintendo Picross, I was reading some reviews of 3DS games in the series and looked up the Nintendo-themed Picross 3D 2. It's $30. I'll gladly take Picross for what it is (with 300 puzzles to boot!) for $8. Anyway for the size of puzzles, I still mostly have 10x10 puzzles, which I think is a good size. But I think you are more accustomed to puzzles than I am, so what seems perfect to me is probably limiting to you. 

Oh, nice stealth name change by the way. :)

7 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

I can't help but to notice that there's an SMT coming out, It has a place holder on Australian stores (Retail stores) so we must be getting an English version. Pretty damn excited about this after watching the available videos, The opening brings me back to smt1 and 2 on the Snes.

I meant to comment on this earlier. Despite having several of the mainline SMT games on PS3 and 3DS, I haven't really dug into any of them yet. I have tried a few first person dungeon crawlers and I enjoy the combat gameplay in Persona 3 and 4 (and presumably 5, which I haven't played yet) a lot more. I only played a little bit of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (I will go back to it eventually since I liked it so far), but from what I remember it's similar to P3/4. Still, having a SMT on Switch is a good thing, and I will check it out when it releases. I don't know if a Western localization has been confirmed, but I think it's a safe bet considering the recent history of the franchise. 

47 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That's quite possible. As I said indie games on Switch are selling like hotcakes so the indie devs have to love that. But I wonder if that is largely because the shop is new and has little competition for some games (e.g. Axiom Verge and World of Goo have no direct competitors on the Switch). I think Nintendo is trying to build up the indie audience, which is a good thing. It's great to have $20 and under games available alongside the arguably overpriced $50 Super Bomberman R, and the full blown first party games like Zelda and Mario. 

Yeah Nintendo is definitely handling third party better now, especially independent developers.

It's not an argument, Super Bomberman R is massively overpriced.

The article I read didn't identify that dev's game, at least not that I could see. But I don't follow devs on Twitter or anything, so maybe this person was a "gaming celebrity" and most people recognized him or her and that went over my head. 

They were one of the commenters on the article, if we read the same article.

I had trouble in world 1 when the game first introduced a battle that was about surviving rather than wiping out the enemies. Once I restarted and played more intelligently, it went much better. Also, upgrading skills to be able to heal makes a big difference. I do wish the game let you use a 4-person team though. How come I can only use 3 when I'm fighting 8 enemies? Yes I know I have more health but still. Anyway, I'm enjoying it despite my minor complaints. So far the balance has been very good. 

Yeah it's not perfect but it gets many points just by being different. I thought the W1 and W3 bosses were hilarious.

On the subject of Nintendo Picross, I was reading some reviews of 3DS games in the series and looked up the Nintendo-themed Picross 3D 2. It's $30. I'll gladly take Picross for what it is (with 300 puzzles to boot!) for $8. Anyway for the size of puzzles, I still mostly have 10x10 puzzles, which I think is a good size. But I think you are more accustomed to puzzles than I am, so what seems perfect to me is probably limiting to you. 

Once we got to 15x10 and more difficult it was fine, but 10x10 was too small for us playing together. Looking forward to the 20x15 ones. And I now understand that any larger would probably be unreadable in handheld mode. 

Oh, nice stealth name change by the way. :)

Join usss....

I think it would be pretty funny if more people would rename themselves to a Pokémon. I saw @Blissey around when they were Chancey but once DamagingRob became @Ditto, I felt like I just had to join in.

Figured I'd lampshade it in here as in this Nintendo thread, there are probably more people willing to go along with this.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Once we got to 15x10 and more difficult it was fine, but 10x10 was too small for us playing together. Looking forward to the 20x15 ones. And I now understand that any larger would probably be unreadable in handheld mode.

Oh okay, that makes sense. For solo play 10x10 seems perfect to me. Even so, I still use the assist thingy at least 50% of the time, especially when I have mostly wide open rows (e.g. 1 1 2). 

49 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Join usss....

I think it would be pretty funny if more people would rename themselves to a Pokémon. I saw @Blissey around when they were Chancey but once DamagingRob became @Ditto, I felt like I just had to join in.

Figured I'd lampshade it in here as in this Nintendo thread, there are probably more people willing to go along with this.

Confession time... I've never finished a Pokémon game. I started SoulSilver, Black Version 2, and Y, and I always lose interest after a couple of trainer fights. I have come to accept that the series is just not for me, much like the Warriors series (which makes me a little sad, since Hyrule Warriors especially made great use of the license). 

So I only know 3 or 4 Pokémon names, unless I go back to load my Pokémon Y savegame, and I renamed most of my team there with non-canon names like Poop and ButtHead. 

Oh okay, that makes sense. For solo play 10x10 seems perfect to me. Even so, I still use the assist thingy at least 50% of the time, especially when I have mostly wide open rows (e.g. 1 1 2). 

We do zero assists, but then again me and the missus both do these kind of puzzles all the time on holidays

So I only know 3 or 4 Pokémon names

One is enough :dance: do it! Take the leap!

So, an IGN interview with Shigeru Ohmori, a producer for Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, confirmed that these two games are going to be the last mainline Pokemon games on the 3DS. We already know that a mainline Pokemon game is being worked on and releasing for the Switch in 2018. So I guess now only spinoffs, if any, may possibly go to 3DS and the mainline games have a new home on the Switch. I don't see Nintendo releasing another portable console yet, I dunno what it'd even be, so I think they're gonna keep Pokemon on the Switch, since the home/hybrid thing will let people play how they want. This is just me thinking out loud, though.

Also, tomorrow is finally the day Fire Emblem Warriors releases! I'm so hyped for it, I've already watched the unboxing video from Nintendo, and everything in the CE is so good. I couldn't pass it up for $80, so many PS CE/LEs go for way more and have much less. Season pass will also be available for $20, so I'm gonna get that, and if at all possible, I'm gonna try and get the Chrom and Tiki amiibos when I go pick up the game tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, TheFinalEmblem said:

So, an IGN interview with Shigeru Ohmori, a producer for Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, confirmed that these two games are going to be the last mainline Pokemon games on the 3DS. We already know that a mainline Pokemon game is being worked on and releasing for the Switch in 2018. So I guess now only spinoffs, if any, may possibly go to 3DS and the mainline games have a new home on the Switch. I don't see Nintendo releasing another portable console yet, I dunno what it'd even be, so I think they're gonna keep Pokemon on the Switch, since the home/hybrid thing will let people play how they want. This is just me thinking out loud, though.

Also, tomorrow is finally the day Fire Emblem Warriors releases! I'm so hyped for it, I've already watched the unboxing video from Nintendo, and everything in the CE is so good. I couldn't pass it up for $80, so many PS CE/LEs go for way more and have much less. Season pass will also be available for $20, so I'm gonna get that, and if at all possible, I'm gonna try and get the Chrom and Tiki amiibos when I go pick up the game tomorrow.

Sounds like the beginning of the end for the 3DS.

It's been a good run, but making way for the Switch is the right thing to do.

10 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Sounds like the beginning of the end for the 3DS.

It's been a good run, but making way for the Switch is the right thing to do.

Maybe, even though I don't entirely like it, but yeah, it definitely did have a good run. I still don't agree that they should phase it out just because the Switch CAN be portable, I still see it as a home console primarily, with the ability to become portable. Focusing on one console rather than 2, though, is easier though. Guess we'll have to wait and see to find out the fate of the 3DS in the future.

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

We do zero assists, but then again me and the missus both do these kind of puzzles all the time on holidays

I wonder if my non-gamer wife would like the game, since puzzle games are a good entry point to video gaming. But she hates math so I don't think she'd like number based puzzles. 

Anyway, I've gotten stuck a few times when a 10x10 Picross puzzle gave me no rows or columns with a 4 or higher. I tend to turn on the assist feature unless I see at least one 6+ (which sometimes the assist marks out the easiest row and/or column anyway, defeating the purpose). I generally don't use the Check Errors feature though. So I'd like to think I'm improving. 

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

One is enough :dance: do it! Take the leap!

But if I change my name to Pikachu can I keep my Ratchet & Clank picture? Wouldn't that confuse people? Hell, for that matter I don't need a copyright notice from Nintendo! :P

12 minutes ago, TheFinalEmblem said:

Maybe, even though I don't entirely like it, but yeah, it definitely did have a good run. I still don't agree that they should phase it out just because the Switch CAN be portable, I still see it as a home console primarily, with the ability to become portable. Focusing on one console rather than 2, though, is easier though. Guess we'll have to wait and see to find out the fate of the 3DS in the future.

I feel your pain. The 3DS did recently get the phenomenal Metroid Samus Returns. While playing it I started asking myself "why has this console been collecting dust for a while; I have tons of great games to play on it!" There is also the Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga port that I will eventually get. Sadly I tend to bounce between my 3DS and Vita for long stretches of time, where the other one is largely neglected. It's a sad reality of owning too many consoles. Hopefully the Switch being a hybrid will help me consolidate my gaming platforms eventually (once my backlog on 3DS and Vita gets smaller).

Anyway, I think Nintendo would be smart to keep the 3DS going for a bit longer at least, if only to have a cheaper alternative to the Switch for kids. I do think the closure of Miiverse is a sign that the 3DS is losing support though. At least on the Wii U there is an alternative browser-based method of posting screenshots... the 3DS doesn't have that option. I will definitely miss Miiverse too, it was a great community. 

From a business perspective Nintendo has to eventually drop the 3DS, but it's anyone's guess as to when that will be. Maybe Pokémon Ultra Sun & Moon will be its last big game, or maybe it has a few more left in it. Either way, 6+ years is not a bad run at all. I can't remember when I got my first one, but I remember in 2013 ("The Year of Luigi") Nintendo cranked out so many games for 3DS and even Wii U. It really has a great library. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Well, I just bought Putty Pals to play with the missus. By the looks of the trailers this is strictly a co-op game.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I wonder if my non-gamer wife would like the game, since puzzle games are a good entry point to video gaming. But she hates math so I don't think she'd like number based puzzles. 

Anyway, I've gotten stuck a few times when a 10x10 Picross puzzle gave me no rows or columns with a 4 or higher. I tend to turn on the assist feature unless I see at least one 6+ (which sometimes the assist marks out the easiest row and/or column anyway, defeating the purpose). I generally don't use the Check Errors feature though. So I'd like to think I'm improving. 

Keep playing for a few months and you won't know any better.

But if I change my name to Pikachu can I keep my Ratchet & Clank picture? Wouldn't that confuse people? Hell, for that matter I don't need a copyright notice from Nintendo! :P

I smell someone chickening out... It's all or nothing on the joining :)

2 hours ago, TheFinalEmblem said:

It's more of a phasing out because it's old enough and the Switch can become very successful if it's embraced by both the home console and the handheld console gamers.

I feel your pain. The 3DS did recently get the phenomenal Metroid Samus Returns. While playing it I started asking myself "why has this console been collecting dust for a while; I have tons of great games to play on it!" There is also the Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga port that I will eventually get. Sadly I tend to bounce between my 3DS and Vita for long stretches of time, where the other one is largely neglected. It's a sad reality of owning too many consoles. Hopefully the Switch being a hybrid will help me consolidate my gaming platforms eventually (once my backlog on 3DS and Vita gets smaller).

Anyway, I think Nintendo would be smart to keep the 3DS going for a bit longer at least, if only to have a cheaper alternative to the Switch for kids. I do think the closure of Miiverse is a sign that the 3DS is losing support though. At least on the Wii U there is an alternative browser-based method of posting screenshots... the 3DS doesn't have that option. I will definitely miss Miiverse too, it was a great community. 

From a business perspective Nintendo has to eventually drop the 3DS, but it's anyone's guess as to when that will be. Maybe Pokémon Ultra Sun & Moon will be its last big game, or maybe it has a few more left in it. Either way, 6+ years is not a bad run at all. I can't remember when I got my first one, but I remember in 2013 ("The Year of Luigi") Nintendo cranked out so many games for 3DS and even Wii U. It really has a great library. 

Samus Returns can be called "going out with a bang" :)

All aboard the Switch train! CHOO-CHOO!

Switch story of the day, but the day is yesterday, because it happened yesterday, the day before today, so like 18 odd hours ago, yesterday, a day ago. Got it?

Alright. So I'm in the city for an excursion thing with my course. Due to the stupid planning of the stupid person taking us, instead of the usual person we have Thursdays, we had three quarts of an hour or so to kill for lunch. So I went over to a nearby JB HiFi and picked up a 15 buck eShop card with some survey points. There's WiFi hotspots pretty well everywhere in the city, so I jumped on my email, got the code, gave it to the guy, and bought my code. Done. Easy.

So I try to type it in on my Switch, but none of the WiFi zones would work with the Switch (couldn't figure out how to launch the sign in page) so I got nothing. I sent a photo of the code to the missus and asked her to type it in on my 3DS at home so if I was a clumsy dickhead and dropped the code no one would be able to knick it. She couldn't get it to work and about an hour later when we went to the next thing I found WiFi again and hit her up, trying to guide her through the menus based on memory. She went into redeem game download codes or something and not the add funds section and redemption from in there. It's silly. Anyway, so the code went through and it's all hunky dory.

An hour or two later we wrap up, and I head off on a tram, to a station, to a train to go home. At that station I had about 10 minutes to kill before my train. Jump on another WiFi, this time one of those government ones that actually have decent signal. Anyway, the Switch decided to work with it. And I go onto the shop and buy Don't Knock Twice. Awesome. Go to download it, don't expect it to be done by the time the train comes but start anyway. Check back a couple minutes later and see it's paused, at 82%. Quickly try to restart and everything, try to sign back into WiFi, and apparently it had a limit of 250mb per device per day (so don't download anything and only browse basically). 

So I jump on the train, with my cool new game stuck at 82 percent unfortunately, knowing full well I was gonna be finished with the Lego City Undercover main campaign in about 20 minutes or so at most. I then beat that game and just did some free roam or something, not a bad time by any means, but I'd have preferred the new game. Anyway, a bit later I got off at another train station to get on a bus to get home. Now, I got 3 or 4 minutes for the bus, awesome, no waiting, which is nice since it just started pissing down (weather was crazy yesterday).

Across the road is a library, my local library where I'm even a member. They have free WiFi. So I'm trying to sign in quickly on the Switch and it's taking aaages to connect and I finally get it to connect, and it gets to the sign in page. Then it says I need to sign in or be a member, shit, I don't remember my 16 digit library number and 4 digit pin, my phone saves it so I don't have to, I'd better make a new account. So now I'm desperately trying to make a new account with some bullshit details before the bus com-oh wait, here's the bus now. So I get on the bus, rain pouring, Switch in hand, sit down, finally hook up to the WiFi, awesome. 

Takes a bit, but it finally starts to download, as the bus starts to drive. Fuck. Maybe it will be quick enough, who knows, come on, you can do it! ... 3 hours 16 minutes remaining. Ho, the whole game is like one gig, and you only have to download 18% of it, piss off. So then I went home on the bus, a poor soul stuck only with the 30 odd Switch games on his memory card to play for those remaining twenty minutes or so of transit time. It was indeed a dark time. I'm not asking for sympathy, just understanding.

Please understand.

16 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

My WiFi works fine, except at work where the WPA2 Enterprise network isn't supported, and the guest network doesn't work either because of webpage redirect trickery that the Switch's limited browser doesn't support. But I have a question. Do you know if the Ethernet adapter works in handheld mode? The Hori one uses a regular full-size USB plug, which could theoretically work in handheld mode making use a USB-C adapter (like newer Macs and Windows laptops use). But knowing Nintendo, I wonder if that USB-C port on the Switch tablet won't work that way.

The Lan adapter makes a world of difference for me though it won't work in handheld mode, this is ok for me as I'm not really into handheld. If I was I could just move closer to the Router though I think Nintendo needs to address this problem. I mean it's going to be fine in Japan where living spaces are nothing like the west and you'll usually be allot closer to your modem though in my case there is no logic of it being the only item I have that won't hook up to wifi from my gaming room.

15 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I meant to comment on this earlier. Despite having several of the mainline SMT games on PS3 and 3DS, I haven't really dug into any of them yet. I have tried a few first person dungeon crawlers and I enjoy the combat gameplay in Persona 3 and 4 (and presumably 5, which I haven't played yet) a lot more. I only played a little bit of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (I will go back to it eventually since I liked it so far), but from what I remember it's similar to P3/4. Still, having a SMT on Switch is a good thing, and I will check it out when it releases. I don't know if a Western localization has been confirmed, but I think it's a safe bet considering the recent history of the franchise. 

The persona games are so different though being the spinoffs that they are, I couldn't get into p5 tbh as it's so similar to 3 and 4 which in turn are so different from 1 and 2. I actually didn't like SMT 4 that much and probably because it is on hand held and I always want the big screen. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is even more of a spinoff then the P games though I didn't mind it to be honest. I love the Snes, Sega cd, Sega saturn and PS2 Smt titles so I'm hoping that something similar will be coming to the switch. I think my favorite spin offs are the 2 Digital Devil Saga games and definitely Saturns Soul hackers. 

Edit: Oh yeah, I bought Bomberman R along with the Lan adapter. I'm a fan of the game from the past and I really like it, However I could not find one online battle no matter whether I chose Local or worldwide, I changed my location to Japan and still nothing.

Edited by Z1MZUM

17 hours ago, Cubone said:

Keep playing for a few months and you won't know any better.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying my skills aren't likely to improve (harsh, but probably true)? Or are you saying I will get used to solving the puzzles without help? 

17 hours ago, Cubone said:

Samus Returns can be called "going out with a bang" :)

Yeah, the bang of a power bomb going off! 

12 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Takes a bit, but it finally starts to download, as the bus starts to drive. Fuck. Maybe it will be quick enough, who knows, come on, you can do it! ... 3 hours 16 minutes remaining. Ho, the whole game is like one gig, and you only have to download 18% of it, piss off. So then I went home on the bus, a poor soul stuck only with the 30 odd Switch games on his memory card to play for those remaining twenty minutes or so of transit time. It was indeed a dark time. I'm not asking for sympathy, just understanding.

Please understand.

This reminds me of the morning SteamWorld Dig 2 came out. I couldn't wait to get it downloaded, so due to the WiFi at my work not being compatible with the Switch, I ended up turning on my cell phone hotspot and burning up a few hundred megabytes of my monthly data allowance on downloading the game (thankfully it's a relatively small game). I only have 4GB between 3 smartphones (although my mother-in-law hardly ever uses up data), so that was a dumb move. But what can I say, gaming is life. 

10 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

The Lan adapter makes a world of difference for me though it won't work in handheld mode, this is ok for me as I'm not really into handheld. If I was I could just move closer to the Router though I think Nintendo needs to address this problem. I mean it's going to be fine in Japan where living spaces are nothing like the west and you'll usually be allot closer to your modem though in my case there is no logic of it being the only item I have that won't hook up to wifi from my gaming room.

Interesting, I've heard that the PS4 WiFi isn't great either (maybe the Pro is better), but I always use Ethernet with my consoles anyway. The only consoles I've ever used on WiFi are ones that didn't have Ethernet built in, i.e. Wii, Wii U, and Switch. Anyway, I don't think I'll bother with the Switch LAN adapter since I'm mostly playing singleplayer offline games on my Nintendo consoles. 

10 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

The persona games are so different though being the spinoffs that they are, I couldn't get into p5 tbh as it's so similar to 3 and 4 which in turn are so different from 1 and 2. I actually didn't like SMT 4 that much and probably because it is on hand held and I always want the big screen. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is even more of a spinoff then the P games though I didn't mind it to be honest. I love the Snes, Sega cd, Sega saturn and PS2 Smt titles so I'm hoping that something similar will be coming to the switch. I think my favorite spin offs are the 2 Digital Devil Saga games and definitely Saturns Soul hackers. 

Interesting. I love handheld gaming and it's where I spend the vast majority of my time on Switch. Anyway, I didn't get into the SMT series until Persona 4 Golden on Vita, and from there I started Tokyo Mirage Sessions (where I've barely spent a few hours) and Persona 3 Portable. I have P5 but haven't started it yet. Actually I didn't get into JRPGs as a whole until I played P4G, Hyperdimension Neptunia (the Vita remakes), and a few other recent ones. 

Anyway, having recently finished Persona 4 Golden, Kingdom Hearts 1, KH Chain of Memories, and KH2, and having gotten a few dozen hours into Persona 3 Portable, I can honestly say I greatly prefer JRPGs in a portable format. I'm way more likely to make good progress there than being stuck only being able to play when I'm home and the gaming TV is available. 

That's what is great about the Switch. I am looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (although I haven't played the previous games) because I can play it portable and then transition to the big screen when I can use the gaming TV at home. I would love to have other JRPGs on Switch too. So while I prefer handheld and Persona to SMT mainline (although to be fair I haven't played any of the mainline games more than a few hours), I support more JRPGs on Switch from any and every series. Bring them on! 

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying my skills aren't likely to improve (harsh, but probably true)? Or are you saying I will get used to solving the puzzles without help? 

I'm saying that you'll get better and if you do enough puzzles, you can do them instinctively.

I'm also saying you should become @Pikachu.

11 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

This reminds me of the morning SteamWorld Dig 2 came out. I couldn't wait to get it downloaded, so due to the WiFi at my work not being compatible with the Switch, I ended up turning on my cell phone hotspot and burning up a few hundred megabytes of my monthly data allowance on downloading the game (thankfully it's a relatively small game). I only have 4GB between 3 smartphones (although my mother-in-law hardly ever uses up data), so that was a dumb move. But what can I say, gaming is life. 

Interesting, I've heard that the PS4 WiFi isn't great either (maybe the Pro is better), but I always use Ethernet with my consoles anyway. The only consoles I've ever used on WiFi are ones that didn't have Ethernet built in, i.e. Wii, Wii U, and Switch. Anyway, I don't think I'll bother with the Switch LAN adapter since I'm mostly playing singleplayer offline games on my Nintendo consoles.

I don't have any data on my phone, I can't be bothered paying that much for that little, I mean, it could be different in your country dude, but here data is about the only thing phone companies care about anymore, there's a few deals coming out nowadays that are halfway decent, but I don't want a data only plan, my phone's a phone first and foremost. I pay 30 a year prepaid for 30 bucks at 12 cents a minute for calls and 12 cents per text, it never lasts a year, but it usually should buy me a good few months at least. I am not paying around 100 a month to get a bunch of calls and texts I won't use, just to get some data on my phone. Anyway, I'm lucky because I managed to FINALLY hook my Switch up to my TAFE's WiFi a couple months back and I can have a squizz at the store and play online and whatnot there, which is a nice way to kill an hour's lunch.

I've had no trouble with my PS4 or PS4 Pro through WiFi when they want to work, other times they wanna take half an hour to download 100mb, it's fucked, same deal with Vita. Mind you I usually just pause and resume and the downloads speed up, at least for a while. I've downloaded 20 odd gig in under an hour numerous times on PS4 though, which is pretty fucking great, at least in Australia anyways. The only console that has consistently never let me down though, is my Xbox. That thing is fucking lightning fast man, we got a slim the other week and I've not plugged it in yet, I hope to all the gods that the WiFi chip in there is the same because I don't wanna lose this sexy speed. Example time, I was downloading Stick of Truth a couple weeks back, or a week or so back, whatever, and that's a 360 game that pulls in just under 5gb if I recall correctly. That took me around 20 minutes to download, so that's basically a gig every four minutes, so 250mb every minute. So a bit over 4mb a second. I'm pretty happy with that, considering I'm only on cable as well.

Well, the new update did something fun, which I can see in my list with Bulb Boy...

There's a new length of play indication, "2 hours or more". Which is great for those small games like Bulb Boy which you can finish in 2-3 hours, so they don't get lumped in with the games you just played for a minute and forgot about afterwards.

Also, my Switch warned me yesterday about an upcoming Halloween sale. I'm curious about which games will go on sale. Surely, there aren't many scary games yet. I can recommend Bulb Boy though. I hope for myself that The Count Lucanor will go on a better sale than it is on now since it's just a very short game and the base price is 50% more expensive on Switch than on Steam.