Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Just now, BillyHorrible said:

Stuff like this makes me even more sure that the Switch is secretly a handheld console that can be connected to the television, instead of a television console that can become a handheld if need be. The latter is how it's being promoted, possibly to give the 3DS less of a final year vibe.

That's also what I thought. The cases seem to have the size of PSP-cases, the cartridges just look like the ones from the Vita just make it look like a handheld. And AFAIK Nintendo follows different marketing strategies depending on the region. In the western territory they advertise the Switch as a home console and in Japan they advertise it as a handheld.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

That's also what I thought. The cases seem to have the size of PSP-cases, the cartridges just look like the ones from the Vita just make it look like a handheld. And AFAIK Nintendo follows different marketing strategies depending on the region. In the western territory they advertise the Switch as a home console and in Japan they advertise it as a handheld.

Yeah for Japan it's a duality between "play during commute" and "play with friends", the latter of which has always been a big Nintendo statement compared to other consoles, they themselves say it's because of Japanese culture. For the Western market, the "playing on the go" gets mentioned often enough but the brunt of the advertising is home play (with others). It took me a while to realise that this is actually a full handheld console instead of a regular console with handheld capabilities.

Some game file sizes have been revealed by the Japanese Nintendo site...

http://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-game-file-sizes/

The Japanese Nintendo Switch website has been updated with sizes for a bunch of upcoming titles for the new platform, including the sizes of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Dragon Quest Heroes I-II.

The largest game of the bunch appears to be Dragon Quest Heroes I-II, which clocks in at roughly 32GB – around the same size as recent PS4/XO titles. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe weighs in at only 7GB. In contrast, Mario Kart 8 on the Nintendo Wii U weighed in at 4.9GB.

Down below you’ll find the file sizes for various other Switch titles as well:

• Nobunaga’s Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power-Up Kit – 5 GB
  • Snipperclips – 1.60 GB
  • I Am Setsuna 1.40 GB
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris – 1.09 GB
  • Dragon Quest Heroes I-II – 32 GB
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 7 GB

The size of the upcoming Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was also recently revealed, and clocks in at approximately 13GB

If a game like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe can be only 7GB then I don't feel as anxious about the 32GB memory as I did before, seeing as the only thing I will download is digital-only games.

Personally, I'm thinking about getting a 128GB microSD card, could get one now for €50 with a writing speed of 30MB/s and reading speed of 80MB/s (same reading speed as the Nintendo microSD cards and twice the writing speed).

Edited by BillyHorrible

11 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Switch = Vita 2 (at least when it comes to the game cards size). :P

Hide contents

PHiLvzC.jpg

I like the fact that they use transparent cases. And it seems like the manual (if there's one at all :( ) will be placed above the gamecard.

Switch confirmed thief :awesome: 

Wow, they quite compressed Setsuna. 

Bad news, Binding Of Isaac fans. The game has been delayed a little bit...

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/20/14676534/the-binding-of-isaac-afterbirth-delay-nintendo-switch

@Mangafreak263 letting you know in person since you voted for the game in the poll.

Good news, Harvest Moon fans. Harvest Moon 64 is coming to the Wii U (so it might be possible that it will come to the Switch as well)...

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/20/14670564/harvest-moon-64-virtual-console-wii-u

Harvest Moon has actually never been released in Europe so for fans of the series, this is kind of a big deal.

Edited by BillyHorrible

23 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Personally, I'm thinking about getting a 128GB microSD card, could get one now for €50 with a writing speed of 30MB/s and reading speed of 80MB/s (same reading speed as the Nintendo microSD cards and twice the writing speed).

Weren't you originally planning on getting a 1TB card? I'd definitely jump on the 128, that's going to be MUCH more affordable. I seriously doubt the class and/or read/write performance will make a difference for Switch games, but it can't hurt to stick with the same type as used by Nintendo. 

Much to my surprise, I actually wore out a microSD card on my Android tablet. I used it to watch movies and TV on my commute, and I am regularly deleting and saving new video files to it. About a month ago, I stopped being able to add new files to the card, and I got an error message whenever I tried to delete files, whether using the tablet or a laptop. That's the first time I've ever encountered a SD card apparently using up its read/write capacity. The weird thing was, I could still read files from it just fine. Anyway, I'm personally more concerned about that potential issue, now that it's happened to me. I'll probably stick with medium-size flash memory in the future to not potentially blow an expensive investment. 

14 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Weren't you originally planning on getting a 1TB card? I'd definitely jump on the 128, that's going to be MUCH more affordable. I seriously doubt the class and/or read/write performance will make a difference for Switch games, but it can't hurt to stick with the same type as used by Nintendo. 

Yeah I talked about getting a big one, that was before I realised that that maximum SD card volume (2TB) that they were talking about doesn't even exist yet. The 128GB one is the cheapest one I found in price per GB, while still being of my preferred brand. I'm talking about SanDisk right now, both of my camera SD cards are from them and I have no complaints.

The only reason why I am not using the Nintendo SD cards is because they're more expensive and it really shouldn't matter which I use, as long as it's at least as fast as Nintendo's.

128GB really should be enough for now as even Mario Kart is only 7GB; I'm just getting digital only stuff like Snipperclips and such and N64/GC VC titles which shouldn't use up much space. I'm betting on not needing any more SD cards if I buy one of 128GB.

14 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Much to my surprise, I actually wore out a microSD card on my Android tablet. I used it to watch movies and TV on my commute, and I am regularly deleting and saving new video files to it. About a month ago, I stopped being able to add new files to the card, and I got an error message whenever I tried to delete files, whether using the tablet or a laptop. That's the first time I've ever encountered a SD card apparently using up its read/write capacity. The weird thing was, I could still read files from it just fine. Anyway, I'm personally more concerned about that potential issue, now that it's happened to me. I'll probably stick with medium-size flash memory in the future to not potentially blow an expensive investment. 

That sounds bad... Personally, I have a 32GB microSD card in my phone so I can take all my holiday picture selections everywhere. Haven't had any problems with it yet and it survived two older phones.

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

That sounds bad... Personally, I have a 32GB microSD card in my phone so I can take all my holiday picture selections everywhere. Haven't had any problems with it yet and it survived two older phones.

I don't remember how old the card was, but it's the first time I saw it happen and I was surprised. 

GameCube games shouldn't take up much space on the Switch either, IIRC the used space on GameCube discs is typically around 1GB. I think 128 is a good size to get; it's probably what I'll use when I get the Switch. 

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

GameCube games shouldn't take up much space on the Switch either, IIRC the used space on GameCube discs is typically around 1GB. I think 128 is a good size to get; it's probably what I'll use when I get the Switch. 

Yeah that's what I meant, if most of what I'm buying is N64/GC stuff then there shouldn't be too much trouble.

Saw a gameplay video of Super Bomberman R, in doubt about if I will get that game as well now. I've been selling some games and systems (amongst which the Wii and Vita, which I already mentioned) to be able to afford the Switch without too much trouble and I'm actually almost there already, I'm there if we count in the money I already paid for the delayed Fractured Butthole which I'm going to switch over and the money I already paid for Horizon Zero Dawn, which I might delay on buying until after Zelda.

I just paid off my Amazon preorder.  I got the grey one but wish I had gotten the neon.  At first I wasn't into it but after seeing it it grew on me.  I'll probably get some extra joycons down the road and will get the neon ones then.  As for games, well Zelda for sure but also would like to get some virtual console stuff (Breath of Fire 2).  I can't imagine not having it at launch but we'll see.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, angelgrievous said:

I just paid off my Amazon preorder.  I got the grey one but wish I had gotten the neon.  At first I wasn't into it but after seeing it it grew on me.  I'll probably get some extra joycons down the road and will get the neon ones then.  As for games, well Zelda for sure but also would like to get some virtual console stuff (Breath of Fire 2).  I can't imagine not having it at launch but we'll see.  

Sounds like me... Except I took the grey one by choice (already ordered the neons as controllers three and four, will mostly use thegrey ones and replace those in a few years when other neon colors will be released). Also I didn't order by Amazon but in a physical store.

3 hours ago, Benfoxy83 said:

Embargo lift for the Switch is tomarrow, so we'll get to see a bunch new things and some stuff we already know. Hopefully online/VC stuff will be explained.

Wow, really? I thought it was March 1 for the Switch embargo and March 2 for Zelda...

Won't hear anything about online/VC now, by the way. Switch can't go online until launch day - at the least, the eShop won't be filled until launch day.

Edit: ah, there it is. I had the review dates remembered but I had forgotten about the preview dates.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/nintendo-switch-and-zelda-embargo-lift-dates-revealed/

• Preview for the Nintendo Switch – February 23rd
  • Previews for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – February 24th
  • Reviews for the Nintendo Switch – March 1st
  • Reviews for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – March 2nd

Can someone explain to me the difference between these embargoes? I know generally speaking that a review is much more extensive than a preview but I fail to see the nuance.

Edit: wait... February 23rd is not tomorrow, it's today for Europe already! Damn, I'm not getting any work done today, am I?

Edit: @MosesRockefeller

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/22/14697882/nintendo-switch-launch-gamestop

If you missed out on Nintendo Switch pre-orders, you’ll have a chance to buy one on launch day: GameStop stores will have a “limited supply” of consoles for walk-in customers, the company announced today.

“Customers who were not able to pre-order the system are encouraged to attend GameStop’s midnight launch events,” GameStop said in a news release. The Nintendo Switch will be released worldwide on March 3, nine days from today. Of course, considering how few NES Classic units Nintendo was able to ship to retailers — at launch, most stores were getting allocations in the single digits — the chances of picking up a Switch without a pre-order may be slim.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Good news and bad news:

Good news: Fast RMX and Shovel Knight are now launch titles.

Bad news: Fast RMX is digital only again (after Neo got a physical release) and there will be no Virtual Console at launch.

The launch of the Nintendo Switch system is rapidly approaching on March 3, and Nintendo can confirm that Nintendo eShop will be ready to go, complete with a lineup of downloadable indie games. To celebrate many of these upcoming Nindie creations before launch, Nintendo will host a Nindies Showcase video presentation on Tuesday, Feb. 28, at 9 a.m. PT. Just visit http://live.nintendo.com to watch.

This year, Nintendo eShop will be home to more than 60 indie games, in addition to digital versions of packaged games, DLC and more. Three indies that will launch at the same time as the system on March 3 are:

FAST RMX from Shinen Multimedia: Challenge your friends to local split-screen competition or take part in online races against players from all over the world. This lightning-fast anti-gravity racer is exclusive to Nintendo Switch.
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment from Yacht Club Games: The latest DLC for the critically acclaimed hit Shovel Knight is a full-featured game starring Specter Knight, one of the enemies from the original game. The massive campaign includes even more content than the last DLC, Plague of Shadows. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment is exclusive to Nintendo Switch for a limited time.
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove from Yacht Club Games: For Shovel Knight%u2019s biggest fans, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove includes the original Shovel Knight game, as well as all previously released DLC %u2013 even Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment! Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove will be exclusive to Nintendo Switch for a limited time.

Some additional news about the launch of Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch includes:

People who already have funds in their accounts on other Nintendo devices can access them using a shared wallet that works on Nintendo Switch as well. Once they link their Nintendo Network ID and Nintendo Account and then their Nintendo Account to their Nintendo Switch system, this functionality becomes possible.
Virtual Console games will not be available on Nintendo Switch at launch. We will share more information in the future.
A news feature will offer updates about the latest additions to Nintendo eShop, as well as providing information about upcoming games and other updates from Nintendo.
To access Nintendo eShop, a system update that will be available on launch day is required. The system update downloads in the background, is designed to install quickly and doesn%u2019t disrupt gameplay.

After visiting Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch for the first time, gamers can also purchase Nintendo Switch digital games on Nintendo.com. Users can purchase the games on Nintendos website and have them download automatically to their Nintendo Switch system at home or on the go, wherever there is a Wi-Fi connection.

I couldn't find a news sourse that had this whole piece of text (this is from gamefaqs) but parts of this news are all over the web, with most putting focus on "no VC" and a few mentioning the other news.

8 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing Gamestop is doing a midnight opening, so being in line before midnight would be my only reasonable shot at getting one... I'm supposed to work the next day but even if I take off, ugh, this doesn't seem like a good idea for me. 

I can't say I'm surprised about the VC, but I find it disappointing all the same. I think it's a big mistake on Nintendo's part, but then they always march to the beat of their own drum anyway. I'm not exactly filled with confidence about the VC launching with a big selection of games now either... if they can't (or won't) even launch when the console does, I'm guessing it will only launch with a handful of games. 

Gameinformer has some neat size comparison pics if anyone is interested.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing Gamestop is doing a midnight opening, so being in line before midnight would be my only reasonable shot at getting one... I'm supposed to work the next day but even if I take off, ugh, this doesn't seem like a good idea for me. 

I can't say I'm surprised about the VC, but I find it disappointing all the same. I think it's a big mistake on Nintendo's part, but then they always march to the beat of their own drum anyway. I'm not exactly filled with confidence about the VC launching with a big selection of games now either... if they can't (or won't) even launch when the console does, I'm guessing it will only launch with a handful of games. 

I will be trying Gamestop if it does not work out then that will be fine. I am hoping that Nintendo learned a little something from the launch of the miniNES and more Switches will be become available pretty quickly.

And, about the VC, that is pretty disappointing, but hey I always prefer a delay over a shoddy release.

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, but those are socially acceptable. With the Switch you'd have to carry it without the Joy-cons and pretend it's a regular tablet. :P

Who cares if it is or not? If you're going to let other people dictate your fun or not, you may want to pursue a different hobby.

• Like 2

Whatever floats tour boat, if you wabt the Switch come launch you can't expect one to just be delivered to you at this point.

I don't like it but I did expect it (they would have said something sooner and they did say they wanted to spread out their releases, felt like they were talking about VC as well), and I don't really think it's a mistake. Apparently the VC titles don't sell as well as we think it does and the real casual gamers don't even care at all.

1 hour ago, hugglebunn-e said:

I will be trying Gamestop if it does not work out then that will be fine. I am hoping that Nintendo learned a little something from the launch of the miniNES and more Switches will be become available pretty quickly.

And, about the VC, that is pretty disappointing, but hey I always prefer a delay over a shoddy release.

Good luck, and agreed!

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, but those are socially acceptable. With the Switch you'd have to carry it without the Joy-cons and pretend it's a regular tablet. :P

Booh! Off with you now!

I know I'll be showing off that I'm taking one with me...

pr-sheet-1501404-01-everywhere-messenger

• Like 1