Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

16 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

I don't know what shows are "Adult Swim", I watch Rick And Morty on Netflix. I think Family Guy is on Adult Swim but I don't really like that show any more.

Right, I forget that TV viewing of US shows is vastly different outside of the USA. Adult Swim is part of Comedy Central, and that block of shows tends to all be really quirky and weird. The closest thing to that not made by Adult Swim is probably Bojack Horseman on Netflix (which I watched the first two episodes of, and I'm really uncertain if it's for me). Anyway, I've tried a bunch of Adult Swim shows but never gotten into any of them. Quirky when it's in service of comedy is great, but quirky to be quirky does not appeal to me at all. Their most popular shows are Rick and Morty, Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. They show things like Family Guy as reruns. Family Guy is a Fox show (which will soon be owned by Disney apparently).

Typically we don't have stuff like Rick and Morty on Netflix USA, because it's expensive for Netflix to license still-running shows. There are a few, but for the most part Netflix is investing in its own programming (like Bojack) because it pays no licensing fees, and it can keep them available forever for free (plus license rerun and DVD rights out and make money that way).

Go Switch go! Switch games are cool! 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Reviews for Yooka-Laylee are slowly trickling in and it seems that yeah, the Switch version is indeed the polished version that people on other consoles were waiting for. I'll be buying it right away, the PS4 try-out I did really made me want to play on and I feel like having a game like this on a Nintendo console, as well as showing support.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Right, I forget that TV viewing of US shows is vastly different outside of the USA. Adult Swim is part of Comedy Central, and that block of shows tends to all be really quirky and weird. The closest thing to that not made by Adult Swim is probably Bojack Horseman on Netflix (which I watched the first two episodes of, and I'm really uncertain if it's for me). Anyway, I've tried a bunch of Adult Swim shows but never gotten into any of them. Quirky when it's in service of comedy is great, but quirky to be quirky does not appeal to me at all. Their most popular shows are Rick and Morty, Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. They show things like Family Guy as reruns. Family Guy is a Fox show (which will soon be owned by Disney apparently).

Typically we don't have stuff like Rick and Morty on Netflix USA, because it's expensive for Netflix to license still-running shows. There are a few, but for the most part Netflix is investing in its own programming (like Bojack) because it pays no licensing fees, and it can keep them available forever for free (plus license rerun and DVD rights out and make money that way).

I love Bojack Horseman; the first few episodes were kind of generic but it soon became obvious that this is a drama disguised as a comedy where assholes absolutely have to live with their consequences, and eventually there are big recurring stories and there is no "Status Quo" that plagues other cartoons.

Bojack and Rick are similar in that they are self-destructive assholes that have to live with their mistakes (instead of Peter from Family Guy, who fets away with a reset button every episode). Bojack is more of a slow-burning continuous depression while Rick starts cheery and then hits you over the head a few times towards the end of the episode.

And I think both are insanely funny once you allow the brand of humour to grow on you.

Edited by Pickle Rick

10 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

I love Bojack Horseman; the first few episodes were kind of generic but it soon became obvious that this is a drama disguised as a comedy where assholes absolutely have to live with their consequences, and eventually there are big recurring stories and there is no "Status Quo" that plagues other cartoons.

Bojack and Rick are similar in that they are self-destructive assholes that have to live with their mistakes (instead of Peter from Family Guy, who fets away with a reset button every episode). Bojack is more of a slow-burning continuous depression while Rick starts cheery and then hits you over the head a few times towards the end of the episode.

And I think both are insanely funny once you allow the brand of humour to grow on you.

You may have just touched on why I have trouble getting into those shows. Maybe if I didn't deal with assholes on my daily commute, and I didn't live in a country with an Asshole-in-Chief as President, I could appreciate shows focused on assholes.

Honestly, with the climate I live in, I prefer to avoid that. And looking at the live action shows I watch, I tend to steer clear of the popular and/or edgy shows that feature assholes also. It seems to be a recurring theme for me. I tend to find more enjoyment in older shows much of the time.

I will say I enjoyed the second episode of Bojack well enough. That's the one where Bojack pissed off everyone by "insulting" the military (translation: he didn't treat a vet like a hero to be worshiped). That episode had some great commentary on the hero worship culture that has taken over in the USA. When people stop to say "wait, no, somebody isn't automatically a hero because they put on a uniform" they are shouted down for being unpatriotic. That's part of the asshole-ry I deal with on a daily basis due to where I live being near military bases. 

Yay Switch games! 

Well, lots of new sales on the eShop people!

Going with my theme of "buying anything I think I might like right away", I own just about all of the sale games I'd want, even if I haven't finished them yet, with the exception of one or two ganes that I think are not cheap enough yet.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

You may have just touched on why I have trouble getting into those shows. Maybe if I didn't deal with assholes on my daily commute, and I didn't live in a country with an Asshole-in-Chief as President, I could appreciate shows focused on assholes.

Honestly, with the climate I live in, I prefer to avoid that. And looking at the live action shows I watch, I tend to steer clear of the popular and/or edgy shows that feature assholes also. It seems to be a recurring theme for me. I tend to find more enjoyment in older shows much of the time.

I will say I enjoyed the second episode of Bojack well enough. That's the one where Bojack pissed off everyone by "insulting" the military (translation: he didn't treat a vet like a hero to be worshiped). That episode had some great commentary on the hero worship culture that has taken over in the USA. When people stop to say "wait, no, somebody isn't automatically a hero because they put on a uniform" they are shouted down for being unpatriotic. That's part of the asshole-ry I deal with on a daily basis due to where I live being near military bases.

Boy, you sure want to keep this going off-topic...

Bojack and Rick are very different kinds of asshole though, and both very different from Peter.

Bojack is a destructive egomaniac. He's not that great at anything but he had his moment in the limelight and he's desperate for more attention, alienating everyone who cares about him in the process. The show involves much self-loathing of people who just can't figure out how to be happy.

Rick is a destructive sociopath and a genius, he's burdened with the knowledge how insignificant everything is in a universe that will pass out in the end. He passes his time with outrageous inventions and self-imposed challenges. He tends to care for his close family, even if he doesn't show it, and it eats him up that his only daughter, a smart woman with much potential, married a man who's dumb as dirt when they got pregnant too soon. This show will often keep you laughing with its insanity throughout, only to stab you in the gut and leave you bleeding at the end. And then it janks you back by one final joke.

3 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

Boy, you sure want to keep this going off-topic... 

You called my number! Anyway, I've said all I need to say really. I'll probably finish Bojack S1 and decide if I want to continue, but I'm 90% certain Rick and Morty is not for me. 

So... anyone excited about Never Stop Sneakin? It might be my next Switch blind buy. I think it looks like a lot of fun. 

Well, I just bought Yooka-Laylee. There @MosesRockefeller, line broken. I didn't only do it when it was Skyrim.

Also a bit tempted with some sales games now, but I'm not going to bite.

39 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

You called my number! Anyway, I've said all I need to say really. I'll probably finish Bojack S1 and decide if I want to continue, but I'm 90% certain Rick and Morty is not for me. 

Yes but I keep adding on-topic stuff for my post and until your last post, you only went off topic :)

Try the following Rick And Morty episodes if you feel like giving it a chance, they're a good way of showing different parts of what makes a Rick And Morty episode.

M. Night Shaym-Aliens!

Meeseeks And Destroy

Rick Potion #9

Close Rick-Counters Of The Rick Kind

Auto Erotic Assimilation

Total Rickall

The Ricks Must Be Crazy

2 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

Well, I just bought Yooka-Laylee. There @MosesRockefeller, line broken. I didn't only do it when it was Skyrim.

Also a bit tempted with some sales games now, but I'm not going to bite.

Because I'm stupid and like to add to my backlog, I grabbed Overcooked. I'd heard great things and had my eye on it for a while. 

Yes but I keep adding on-topic stuff for my post and until your last post, you only went off topic :)

I don't know what you're talking about. I mentioned Switch games in both posts! Just scroll up! 

Try the following Rick And Morty episodes if you feel like giving it a chance, they're a good way of showing different parts of what makes a Rick And Morty episode.

M. Night Shaym-Aliens!

Meeseeks And Destroy

Rick Potion #9

Close Rick-Counters Of The Rick Kind

Auto Erotic Assimilation

Total Rickall

The Ricks Must Be Crazy

I see you're running with that 10% chance I said the show might be for me. 

Spoiler

I do find the episode names amusing on one level, although on another level the cynical side of me thinks they are cheap pop-culture references that are likely symbolic of why I wouldn't like the show... 

5 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Because I'm stupid and like to add to my backlog, I grabbed Overcooked. I'd heard great things and had my eye on it for a while. 

I'm thinking about Count Lucanor now that it has the price of the Steam version. It's still €10 for a two hour game though. I had less problems with Bulb Boy for €7 or €8 or whatever it was but that game also appealed to me a bit more.

Also thinking about Oceanhorn and Yono, but I think both wouldn't be fun for me unless they're cheaper, and neither would go to the top of my to-play list.

I don't know what you're talking about. I mentioned Switch games in both posts! Just scroll up! 

Spoiler

KWjgjwnl.jpg

I see you're running with that 10% chance I said the show might be for me. 

Reveal hidden contents

I do find the episode names amusing on one level, although on another level the cynical side of me thinks they are cheap pop-culture references that are likely symbolic of why I wouldn't like the show... 

10% is huge. But still... Never tell me the odds!

The episode titles are often references, but also reflective of what the episode is about. Rick Potion #9 is about Rick inventing a love potion, Total Rickall is about getting implanted with fake memories, Close Rick-Counters Of The Rick Kind introduces us to Ricks from other dimensions.

Alright, to quote that guy at the start of GTA IV, 

"Daddy's back, you bitches."

I'll spare you my ranting about Episode 8, which pissed all over just about everyone and was downright offensive at times over how it treated it's characters, and skip to talking Switch.

This week, I've got

Gear.Club Unlimited

SteamWorld Dig 2

Unbox: Newbie's Adventure

Namco Museum

Stern Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX 3

Retro City Rampage (physical edition finally)

Gear.Club is fucking great. It's quite the looker too, some nice ass graphics for a portable racer, but then, Real Racing 3 has been on phones for years now, so it shouldn't be too hard. Handling is great, I enjoy the garage element more than I thought I would, and the microtransactions are completely cut, you have to upgrade and buy cars entirely with the money you earn in game, never thought that would be a defense of a game but it's 2017 and it is, but you get a very reasonable amount of credits and shit and nothing is ever out of reach for too long. "Over 400 races" the box claims, had me sold on that alone honestly, and the 4 player split screen didn't hurt it either. There are some negatives though. First of all, the audio is shit, the car sounds are barely there and there's no music at all, hopefully they'll add some and fix up the dodgy car audio with a patch, but who knows. Also, and this is the big one, most races are a minute or so long, there's a fair few that are longer, but there's a fair few that are like 45 seconds as well. Now, the worst parts of Drive Club on PS4 for me were the races that took like 15 minutes to do without a break, but this is too far the other way. If pretty much every race was doubled in length, even if it just meant turning a one lap race into a two or three, I would enjoy it a lot more, so bare that in mind and all, but otherwise it's a great little racer for the Switch and I dig it immensely 

And then I remembered I have only played a couple minutes of most of them and can't do a write up, well. Shit. The pinball games are sweet, as you'd expect, Stern offers one free table and FX has a two pack that's free for a week or so, so get it now while you can. Both are fine, and both are available anywhere already. Tell you what though, the HD rumble in FX 3 was sweet and honestly the first time I even noticed it in a game at all. If you just want a quick fix of pinball and don't wanna buy any extra tables, there's enough in here to keep you happy.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Alright, to quote that guy at the start of GTA IV, 

"Daddy's back, you bitches."

To reply with a quite from Link:

"..."

I'll spare you my ranting about Episode 8, which pissed all over just about everyone and was downright offensive at times over how it treated it's characters, and skip to talking Switch.

I thought The Last Jedi was amazing, loved it. One of the best Star Wars movies ever, finally one that tried something different again, and showed some of the weird ways in which the Force can work. We've got a thread about the movie in the media room where I went into more detail about what I liked.

I went Wednesday, first solo showing, with brother-in-law and one of my Star Wars RPG players. Going to see the movie again tonight eith a mate. And again on Sunday, with brother-in-law and another RPG player. And then again a week later with my father. I love my cinepass.

This week, I've got

Gear.Club Unlimited

SteamWorld Dig 2

Unbox: Newbie's Adventure

Namco Museum

Stern Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX 3

Retro City Rampage (physical edition finally)

Gear.Club is fucking great. It's quite the looker too, some nice ass graphics for a portable racer, but then, Real Racing 3 has been on phones for years now, so it shouldn't be too hard. Handling is great, I enjoy the garage element more than I thought I would, and the microtransactions are completely cut, you have to upgrade and buy cars entirely with the money you earn in game, never thought that would be a defense of a game but it's 2017 and it is, but you get a very reasonable amount of credits and shit and nothing is ever out of reach for too long. "Over 400 races" the box claims, had me sold on that alone honestly, and the 4 player split screen didn't hurt it either. There are some negatives though. First of all, the audio is shit, the car sounds are barely there and there's no music at all, hopefully they'll add some and fix up the dodgy car audio with a patch, but who knows. Also, and this is the big one, most races are a minute or so long, there's a fair few that are longer, but there's a fair few that are like 45 seconds as well. Now, the worst parts of Drive Club on PS4 for me were the races that took like 15 minutes to do without a break, but this is too far the other way. If pretty much every race was doubled in length, even if it just meant turning a one lap race into a two or three, I would enjoy it a lot more, so bare that in mind and all, but otherwise it's a great little racer for the Switch and I dig it immensely 

Sounds like I'll stick to Fast RMX and Mario Kart for now.

And then I remembered I have only played a couple minutes of most of them and can't do a write up, well. Shit. The pinball games are sweet, as you'd expect, Stern offers one free table and FX has a two pack that's free for a week or so, so get it now while you can. Both are fine, and both are available anywhere already. Tell you what though, the HD rumble in FX 3 was sweet and honestly the first time I even noticed it in a game at all. If you just want a quick fix of pinball and don't wanna buy any extra tables, there's enough in here to keep you happy.

Is Stern related to The Pinball Arcade? That's my favourite pinball game on X360/PS4. I like pinball, from time to time, if the tables are done well.

Well yesterday on my way to my second Star Wars viewing, I got a bit of Golf Story done in the public transport. It was only fifteen/twenty minutes or so but I managed to do the Blue Moon Dunes match play, which means I have now beaten someone on all eight regular courses. This was also the little bit of gaming that put me on 15+ hours for the game.

Anyone who still doesn't have Golf Story: it's a good game, it's cheap, it takes a while to get through, it's funny, it's not just a golf game but an RPG adventure disguised as a golf game and it's one of the best received Switch games, while also being an exclusive. What are you waiting for?

Just took the two pinball games. Thanks @Super-Fly Spider-Guy for mentioning the free DLC for the one with the made-up tables. Decided to check for myself but yeah, Stern Pinball Arcade is from the makers of The Pinball Arcade, as the title suggests it is a spin-off exclusively about Stern pinball machines. As with The Pinball Arcade and other pinball games, I feel like these DLC are too expensive so I'll wait on a sale or a 'complete' dlc pack that's a bit cheaper. I'm now almost positive I'll get more tables for Stern Pinball Arcade (I really enjoyed The Pinball Arcade on X360 and PS4), but I'm going to think hard about the one with the made-up tables; I never enjoyed those games on X360/PS4.

I'm also downloading the demo for Max: The Curse Of Brotherhood now.

20 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm curious what you think about this one. It looked interesting, but at $30 it was too much for me. It's now $15 but I'm not convinced.

I'm curious too, though Steamworld is all I've dug my way into at the moment. The half price drop was what pushed me too. It looked cool, I dug it, then the price dropped and they wanted $45 for it and I'm like that can wait then. Don't wait for me though, I honestly can't say if I'll get to it before the sale ends though. I'm pretty much at the end of Steamworld as far as I can tell, but I could still have another couple hours in there, plus I'll probs spend a good chunk of time just trying to dig 100% of the world for the shit of it. It looks fun though, do you know if it has online or nah? Could be a fun one judging by the screens on the eShop of 4 player carnage.

27 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Just took the two pinball games. Thanks @Super-Fly Spider-Guy for mentioning the free DLC for the one with the made-up tables. Decided to check for myself but yeah, Stern Pinball Arcade is from the makers of The Pinball Arcade, as the title suggests it is a spin-off exclusively about Stern pinball machines. As with The Pinball Arcade and other pinball games, I feel like these DLC are too expensive so I'll wait on a sale or a 'complete' dlc pack that's a bit cheaper. I'm now almost positive I'll get more tables for Stern Pinball Arcade (I really enjoyed The Pinball Arcade on X360 and PS4), but I'm going to think hard about the one with the made-up tables; I never enjoyed those games on X360/PS4.

Zen Pinball, or Pinball FX 3 as they're apparently calling it here is alright. I have their tables for South Park, Star Wars, and Family Guy on my phone, they're pretty sweet on a phone, but on the phone I spent like 3 bucks total for the lot, not 15 for a pack of Fam Guy, Am Dad, Archer, and Bob's Burgers. Sure, $3.75 isn't too bad for a table if you're gonna play it a lot, I'm also content with just playing the freebie ones for a good while. Plus I got my fill of console pinball years ago with Marvel Pinball (again, by Zen) and that became cross buy so I can dump it on the Vita or PS4 whenever I want. I don't know. I'd grab the Back to the Future table for the sound effects alone in a heart beat, but I am not buying a three pack of Universal movies tables for 15 bucks just to hear whatever the hell a flux catheter sounds like, I already blew my unnecessary BTTF DLC quota this month on Rocket League as it is, though saying BTTF enough times has reminded me to see if the GWG version is up yet. 

http://view.ccg.nintendo.net/?qs=4b7cac190aa0ad693fe138a66f3e017ede591ae780d24d0236af3ed368ced7971e900f2d367871aa55d4e47359eb5774785b43a75e1c23347534f7985b1fb70b7efd7d3dd2dd8126

So I got this emailed to me before, don't think any of you guys touched FIFA on the Switch, so I doubt y'all will end up with it. It's a survey about FIFA on Switch, read between the lines, and it's a survey asking if I, a Switch player, am interested in what EA has to offer. 

Hit them up and tell 'em what you want brought over. Or yell about Battlefront some more, either or.

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Zen Pinball, or Pinball FX 3 as they're apparently calling it here is alright. I have their tables for South Park, Star Wars, and Family Guy on my phone, they're pretty sweet on a phone, but on the phone I spent like 3 bucks total for the lot, not 15 for a pack of Fam Guy, Am Dad, Archer, and Bob's Burgers. Sure, $3.75 isn't too bad for a table if you're gonna play it a lot, I'm also content with just playing the freebie ones for a good while. Plus I got my fill of console pinball years ago with Marvel Pinball (again, by Zen) and that became cross buy so I can dump it on the Vita or PS4 whenever I want. I don't know. I'd grab the Back to the Future table for the sound effects alone in a heart beat, but I am not buying a three pack of Universal movies tables for 15 bucks just to hear whatever the hell a flux catheter sounds like, I already blew my unnecessary BTTF DLC quota this month on Rocket League as it is, though saying BTTF enough times has reminded me to see if the GWG version is up yet. 

There are one or two machines that are a must-have for me (none are from Stern), other than that it's just buying more so I have different stuff to play. 

For The Pinball Arcade on PS4, I bought the S1 pack on a great sale. Think I got all DLC on X360, that version had some problems with the portibg company though so it never had a lot.

I feel like the handheld aspect would cause me to keep playing from time to time.

9 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

http://view.ccg.nintendo.net/?qs=4b7cac190aa0ad693fe138a66f3e017ede591ae780d24d0236af3ed368ced7971e900f2d367871aa55d4e47359eb5774785b43a75e1c23347534f7985b1fb70b7efd7d3dd2dd8126

So I got this emailed to me before, don't think any of you guys touched FIFA on the Switch, so I doubt y'all will end up with it. It's a survey about FIFA on Switch, read between the lines, and it's a survey asking if I, a Switch player, am interested in what EA has to offer. 

Hit them up and tell 'em what you want brought over. Or yell about Battlefront some more, either or.

Dude. https://goo.gl

Also, that link doesn't work because you already did the survey, it's only for you and not a general link, sadly.

Shame, I would've told them I wanted Star Wars games but only single player.

1 hour ago, Pickle Rick said:

I feel like the handheld aspect would cause me to keep playing from time to time.

Dude. https://goo.gl

Also, that link doesn't work because you already did the survey, it's only for you and not a general link, sadly.

Shame, I would've told them I wanted Star Wars games but only single player.

You're not wrong. I had like 3 or 4 pinny games on my PSP in the day and it was great. Oh, and Metroid Prime Piinball too, that was surprisingly good.

Was on my phone, plus I tried to embed it anyway, it came up with just a little picture for the link but decided to show the whole thing anyways.

Damn, never mind then. 

I did that actually. It was in more words, and related to FIFA a bit more, but Battlefront directly was name dropped.

I started on Yooka-Laylee and it really is the most polished version, or 'definitive' as some reviewers call it.

Less jittery camera, no stuttering background on the loading screen... 

I'd advise anyone who's into classic collect-a-thon platformers, especially Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, to give this a go.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

I started on Yooka-Laylee and it really is the most polished version, or 'definitive' as some reviewers call it.

Less jittery camera, no stuttering background on the loading screen... 

I'd advise anyone who's into classic collect-a-thon platformers, especially Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, to give this a go.

I wanna jump in, and I only wanna jump in on Switch, I care not for it elsewhere, but they want 60 and it's 20 on the PSN right now. Bugger that. Will buy when 20 or under though.

Steamworld Dig 2 on Switch is fantastic and I love it. More of the same as the first, which is all I wanted, but there's a lot of cool new shit that makes it different too, it's really just a bigger, better version of the first though, more stuff to get, more upgrades, better/bigger story, more everything, cool jetpack and bombs, etc. it's just great. I love the thing. Took me a good six and a half  hours to burn through it on the easy mode (which gives you unlimited refills of water and stuff, not sure if that's in the normal mode) and while I wasn't racing to the end, I was by no means dragging my feet either. I would say you'd be doing pretty good to burn through just the story in five hours, so there's a good bit of game in here, and that's before going for extras and or replaying on normal mode. Well worth the 22.50 I paid, I think.

Namco Museum is great and exactly the same as you'd expect. Nothing particularly worthwhile for me to add here. I am keen to try out Pac-Man Vs though, if it's anything like the fun little mini game thing on the DS  years ago, it should be a fun little time waster.

Next up will be Unbox. I'll hopefully get into it enough to get a good enough of a feel to post my opinions before it stops being half price on the 28th.

6 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I wanna jump in, and I only wanna jump in on Switch, I care not for it elsewhere, but they want 60 and it's 20 on the PSN right now. Bugger that. Will buy when 20 or under though.

I bought it on the Switch (price is €40 here, full AAA Switch games are €60) after buying it used on PS4 for €13, trying it, and returning it for a refund after an hour of playing because I thought it was worth my money on the Switch. Take from that what you will.

Also, guess you missed the conversation of @MosesRockefeller and myself where we discussed relative price willingness. Like you, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy, just bought L.A. Noire on the Switch, for €10 more than the PS4 version and a whole bunch more than on the PS3 and you bought DOOM at full price as well while it's a lot cheaper on PS4, like when I bought Skyrim on the Switch for €60 while I could have gotten the PS4 version for €20. Why would we be willing to buy those games yet again, but not be willing to show support for a company like Playtonic, who worked their asses of making an underappreciated game that's practically made just for us?

I'm interested in Yooka Laylee myself. I've been following the game since the Kickstarter launched a few years back. I promised myself I would get it on the Switch when it came out. Last week I was in Smyths buying my brother his Christmas present and I saw the game on sale for €15 on the PS4. It is going to kill me buying the game for €40 on the Switch. ? I'm still going to do it but I am going to wait for the physical edition to come out.

On 16/12/2017 at 8:36 AM, Pickle Rick said:

Let me know how it is. I saw the trailer for the game last week and it peaked my interested. Looks like a nice fun game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gengar said:

I'm interested in Yooka Laylee myself. I've been following the game since the Kickstarter launched a few years back. I promised myself I would get it on the Switch when it came out. Last week I was in Smyths buying my brother his Christmas present and I saw the game on sale for €15 on the PS4. It is going to kill me buying the game for €40 on the Switch. 1f602.png I'm still going to do it but I am going to wait for the physical edition to come out.

See above; I bought it for €15 on PS4, played for an hour and decided it was worth my €40 on the Switch. :)

8 minutes ago, Gengar said:

Let me know how it is. I saw the trailer for the game last week and it peaked my interested. Looks like a nice fun game.

I played it for a bit and I'm going to buy it eventually, but not at full price. Got too many other games in which I'm more interested.

5 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

I bought it on the Switch (price is €40 here, full AAA Switch games are €60) after buying it used on PS4 for €13, trying it, and returning it for a refund after an hour of playing because I thought it was worth my money on the Switch. Take from that what you will.

Also, guess you missed the conversation of @MosesRockefeller and myself where we discussed relative price willingness. Like you, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy, just bought L.A. Noire on the Switch, for €10 more than the PS4 version and a whole bunch more than on the PS3 and you bought DOOM at full price as well while it's a lot cheaper on PS4, like when I bought Skyrim on the Switch for €60 while I could have gotten the PS4 version for €20. Why would we be willing to buy those games yet again, but not be willing to show support for a company like Playtonic, who worked their asses of making an underappreciated game that's practically made just for us?

I'd be down for 30 odd for Yooka Laylee. Fact of the matter is, full price AAA games are anywhere from 60 to 70 bones day one in retail. If Yooka Laylee had a physical version, it would be 40/50 odd. I'd pay that no problem, but the day I pay 60 bucks for a digital game, a smaller scale game, that has been 20 or less in the past elsewhere already, well, that'll be the day I'm not still shattered over how they handled Last Jedi. Or, the day I'll finally give up hoping for Spider-Man 4 (he's obviously gonna be in the Spider-Verse movie, Tobey is back, bitches!), point is, I ain't gonna do it.

I did, I haven't been on here much tbh. For me, I bought LA Noire for 55, on PS4 the cheapest price was 60 odd, I think 64 or something, so I told the Switch tax to fuck right off there. The PS3 version, yeah, it's cheaper, but it's also preowned, without DLC, and for last gen. Is 55 probably a bit much, I don't know, maybe, but the difference to Yooka Laylee is there's no comparable version available for a third of the price. I don't want to go preowned, I don't want to go digital, I don't wanna have to buy up the DLC separately either. Hell, I just went on the PSN store and the "complete edition" of LA Noire, which is the Switch version but without certain upgrades AFAIK, is 60 bucks. So that's actually *more* than what I paid. 

Doom, yeah, I didn't need Doom. And I already had Doom. And Doom has been bargain basement prices for ages. And I ordered Doom VFR like a week later anyway. Doom fucked my wallet good, but Doom on the go is a whole other beast to Doom on the home and although it's not really worth it when you stop and look at it, I would pay my 50 bucks for it to be portable every time, over the 20 odd you could buy it for on PS4 with no effort.

I am willing to buy these games because in LA Noire's case, it's actually the better option really, so there's that, but with Doom, because I really really want it to be portable. They spent a shitload of time converting the game, downgrading it, bringing it over to Switch. Yooka Laylee is a lot smaller scale of a game, they could have, in theory, ported it a lot easier to the Switch than Doom could have been brought over, and Doom came out of nowhere. Yooka Laylee was meant to be on Wii U, but they stiffed those poor suckers, so there's already a point against them for me. Then you've got the fact it took a good while to come out on Switch, delays and shit are never good. Then there's the physical versions which I'd much prefer being out on other consoles for much cheaper (Yooka Laylee is 28 bucks on Xbox at EB, less than half the Switch's price). There's also the fact the game doesn't really interest me that much. But these are just a couple of things I could think of instantly, there's plenty more too. But really, in short, they took forever to get it out, they fucked over the people who funded for a Wii U version, they charged more than twice the price of a PHYSICAL version, which they didn't even offer for Switch, they had no explanation (no Switch cart tax on a digital only version, is there), and I'm supposed to defend my not supporting it? As far as I'm concerned, I'm getting what this game would have given me so far from Unbox and that sucker cost just over 20 bucks, is a much more recent game, and so far at least, hasn't screwed over any of it's fanbase (I don't know really anything about, nor do I give a shit about, JonTron, but people were piiiiissed when they cut him over some stupid thing he said), and moral of the story is, I'll pick this game up when the price is right. Unbox on disc on PS4 is 28 new, the digital version on Switch is 45 or so normal price, and then I waited for a sale to bring it in line with the other version, as I would with Yooka Laylee. I'm down to buy it, I'm down to support it, but I am not down to be ripped off because I love my Switch.

LA Noire and Doom on Switch offer something unique to the platform, namely with the third-person-open-world-criminal-action and first person shooting that no other game on Switch has done yet, Yooka Laylee on the other hand is coming out nearly a year into the thing's life, charging a crapload more than they really should be, and it has a bunch of competition in things like Snake Pass, the aforementioned Unbox, and even the Lego games in the throwback collectathon market. 

Also because people are dumb. I will say I don't have time to watch this show or that movie, and then in the background I will have How I Met Your Mother on loop for the millionth time. People are dumb creatures of habit after all. 

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

Well, I've been enjoying Yooka-Laylee a lot, I've done much of the first world now.

I'm still in spring, year two in Stardew Valley but I've played a few more days. I'm at 40+ hours now, did I already mention that? Not bad for €14.

I've tried the pinball games and I'm not really sold yet. Maybe when there's a good sale.

Also, hopefully we'll see VS Super Mario Bros. on the eShop on Friday!

Has anybody here played The End is Nigh yet?

It is co-developed by Ed McMillan, the guy who brought us Super Meat Boy. The Gameplay to TEIN is similar to SMB - tough, fast paced platforming action. I'm still playing I am Setsuna at the moment and I will be getting Skyrim for Christmas. Whereas both of those games require a big commitment and a lot of hours, I think I can buy a game I can play in small bursts. The End is Nigh seems perfect for that.

On the other hand, Brawlout just got released on the Switch today. Judging by the trailer, it looks similar to Super Smash Bros Brawl but on a smaller scale (obviously!). I'm not sure which of the games I would have the most fun with.

What to do? What to do?

43 minutes ago, Gengar said:

Has anybody here played The End is Nigh yet?

It is co-developed by Ed McMillan, the guy who brought us Super Meat Boy. The Gameplay to TEIN is similar to SMB - tough, fast paced platforming action. I'm still playing I am Setsuna at the moment and I will be getting Skyrim for Christmas. Whereas both of those games require a big commitment and a lot of hours, I think I can buy a game I can play in small bursts. The End is Nigh seems perfect for that.

On the other hand, Brawlout just got released on the Switch today. Judging by the trailer, it looks similar to Super Smash Bros Brawl but on a smaller scale (obviously!). I'm not sure which of the games I would have the most fun with.

What to do? What to do?

I've played neither. It seems The End Is Nigh is even more hardcore than Super Meat Boy is.

... You could always get Golf Story instead, or Stardew Valley, or Sonic Mania, or... ?