Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

6 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Huh, that's not a bad price for a carry bag from a 3rd party company, usually they cost a lot more than that

I think the€40 it costs over here is an excellent price, especially regarding the quality and that the small carry case for just the Switch and two Joycons costs €25 when purchased separately.

A look at the Switch UI: http://gematsu.com/2017/02/nintendo-switch-22-minute-ui-walkthrough

The UI and menus seem quite intuitive and clear (PS4 home screen is a mess to navigate and it's really hard to predict what happens when you select something). Switch has some really great features compared to Vita for example - I hate the lack of control for sleep mode and screen dim on Vita.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Who cares if it is or not? If you're going to let other people dictate your fun or not, you may want to pursue a different hobby.

Jeez, I would have thought the smiley was enough to show I had my tongue firmly in my cheek. I do find it baffling that being a sports nut with numerous memorized statistics is socially acceptable but a hardcore gamer somehow isn't. What a strange world in which we live! 

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Whatever floats tour boat, if you wabt the Switch come launch you can't expect one to just be delivered to you at this point.

I don't like it but I did expect it (they would have said something sooner and they did say they wanted to spread out their releases, felt like they were talking about VC as well), and I don't really think it's a mistake. Apparently the VC titles don't sell as well as we think it does and the real casual gamers don't even care at all.

I'm not trying to sound like a sore loser but I can see how it would seem that way. I do appreciate that there are some options out there for people who didn't preorder. I'm just not sure that I'm excited enough to wait in a long line for something that I'm not guaranteed to get (let's face it, no matter how early I get there I won't be first in line). 

I do agree that no VC at launch is not a mistake in terms of casual gamers, but I have seen people on various gaming sites mention canceling their preorders over this news. I'm part of the "built-in" audience for the Switch; I love my Vita and 3DS, I like Nintendo games, I've faithfully bought their previous systems, etc. But the lack of VC at launch is a big downside to me, and it makes me seriously question whether it's better to wait until the system is fleshed out with more games, VC, etc. in the coming months. I was counting on the VC to make up for the lack of other launch titles, and now that's gone with no news of when it will launch. I do love the concept of the Switch, but I waited on the Wii U and it was a much better value to me after a price cut and getting expanded with multiple first-party games and great VC support by the time I got it. The Switch is going to be a lot more appealing after Mario Odyssey and the VC release. 

13 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm not trying to sound like a sore loser but I can see how it would seem that way. I do appreciate that there are some options out there for people who didn't preorder. I'm just not sure that I'm excited enough to wait in a long line for something that I'm not guaranteed to get (let's face it, no matter how early I get there I won't be first in line). 

I wasn't implying that you were a sore loser. I was implying that you can't get a Switch unless you do something about it xD

13 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I do agree that no VC at launch is not a mistake in terms of casual gamers, but I have seen people on various gaming sites mention canceling their preorders over this news. I'm part of the "built-in" audience for the Switch; I love my Vita and 3DS, I like Nintendo games, I've faithfully bought their previous systems, etc. But the lack of VC at launch is a big downside to me, and it makes me seriously question whether it's better to wait until the system is fleshed out with more games, VC, etc. in the coming months. I was counting on the VC to make up for the lack of other launch titles, and now that's gone with no news of when it will launch. I do love the concept of the Switch, but I waited on the Wii U and it was a much better value to me after a price cut and getting expanded with multiple first-party games and great VC support by the time I got it. The Switch is going to be a lot more appealing after Mario Odyssey and the VC release. 

I would have liked it if the VC had been there but I'm not too bothered by it not being there. Getting cool new games is more important than reliving the classics. I'll have at release Zelda, Snipperclips, Fast RMX and perhaps Bomberman, that should be enough for two months.

P.S. it's annoying that most news sites focus only on the VC and ignore the rest of the news. Fast RMX deserves attention, it's awesome that it is a launch game now.

20 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I wasn't implying that you were a sore loser. I was implying that you can't get a Switch unless you do something about it xD

I would have liked it if the VC had been there but I'm not too bothered by it not being there. Getting cool new games is more important than reliving the classics. I'll have at release Zelda, Snipperclips, Fast RMX and perhaps Bomberman, that should be enough for two months.

P.S. it's annoying that most news sites focus only on the VC and ignore the rest of the news. Fast RMX deserves attention, it's awesome that it is a launch game now.

Fair enough. I think everyone has differing interests and "must play" titles. For me it's Zelda and Mario Odyssey. I dislike racing games, and Snipperclips and Bomberman both seem MP-focused, which aren't of interest to me (I do think Snipperclips looks pretty cool but I doubt it will be the game to finally pull my wife into gaming... that seems to be a lost cause). So the game is very light on launch titles for me. Zelda and Mario would be enough to push it into "must have at launch" status for me, and I was counting on the VC to make up for the wait for Mario. As it is, maybe it's just as well that console availability won't be solid until I'm ready for it and it's ready for me. :) I think I'll also wait on Zelda until later in the year. I could get it on Wii U right now but I am fine to wait until I can play it on Switch, which will probably also line up with when it turns into a must-buy for me instead of being cool tech that will mostly sit on my shelf for lack of games (again, games that I'll play, not lack of games period). 

Besides, my crazy PS3/PS4/Vita/Gamecube/Wii/WiiU/XboxOne backlog is enough to keep me busy for decades to come... 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I do think Snipperclips looks pretty cool but I doubt it will be the game to finally pull my wife into gaming... that seems to be a lost cause

That's funny b/c Snipperclips is exactly the type of game my wife will enjoy. I think the game that re-pulled my wife back into gaming was Katamari, and since then lots of Lego games and most Nintendo games. She loves couch co-op.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Fair enough. I think everyone has differing interests and "must play" titles. For me it's Zelda and Mario Odyssey. I dislike racing games, and Snipperclips and Bomberman both seem MP-focused, which aren't of interest to me (I do think Snipperclips looks pretty cool but I doubt it will be the game to finally pull my wife into gaming... that seems to be a lost cause). So the game is very light on launch titles for me. Zelda and Mario would be enough to push it into "must have at launch" status for me, and I was counting on the VC to make up for the wait for Mario. As it is, maybe it's just as well that console availability won't be solid until I'm ready for it and it's ready for me. :) I think I'll also wait on Zelda until later in the year. I could get it on Wii U right now but I am fine to wait until I can play it on Switch, which will probably also line up with when it turns into a must-buy for me instead of being cool tech that will mostly sit on my shelf for lack of games (again, games that I'll play, not lack of games period). 

Besides, my crazy PS3/PS4/Vita/Gamecube/Wii/WiiU/XboxOne backlog is enough to keep me busy for decades to come... 

5 minutes ago, hugglebunn-e said:

That's funny b/c Snipperclips is exactly the type of game my wife will enjoy. I think the game that re-pulled my wife back into gaming was Katamari, and since then lots of Lego games and most Nintendo games. She loves couch co-op.

Yeah my wife only plays co-op (and by herself some free phone games). Snipperclips is going to be cool to co-op, going to play it with four players as well. All four games I mentioned are for solo as well though I'm going to enjoy racing Fast RMX with the guys until Kart is released, and the most fun I'll get from Bomberman is probably by playing the story in co-op.

My wife and I mostly play LEGO games together, and the occasional co-op sidescrolling platformer. I really missed Nintendo in that regard, I used to do so much couch multiplayer with people...

And they were never going to release Zelda and Mario together, that's just bad for business.

Also, backlog schmacklog. I'm just only going to buy new games for the Switch from now on and for PS4/PS3 I will focus on my backlog only, with the exception of Horizon Zero Dawn / Fractured Butthole / Skyrim / Yooka-Laylee.

10 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah my wife only plays co-op (and by herself some free phone games). Snipperclips is going to be cool to co-op, going to play it with four players as well. All four games I mentioned are for solo as well though I'm going to enjoy racing Fast RMX with the guys until Kart is released, and the most fun I'll get from Bomberman is probably by playing the story in co-op.

My wife and I mostly play LEGO games together, and the occasional co-op sidescrolling platformer. I really missed Nintendo in that regard, I used to do so much couch multiplayer with people...

And they were never going to release Zelda and Mario together, that's just bad for business.

Also, backlog schmacklog. I'm just only going to buy new games for the Switch from now on and for PS4/PS3 I will focus on my backlog only, with the exception of Horizon Zero Dawn / Fractured Butthole / Skyrim / Yooka-Laylee.

I guess she can be excited that lego city undercover for the switch will feature up to 4 player co-op

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Where does it say four players though? It's not in that news story, or did you misread "April 4 with co-op"? It looks like two player co-op, like the other games.

2 hours ago, ShonenCat said:

Always need a Nintendo console on the side for them exclusives. Will be picking up Breath of the Wild and a Pro Controller on day one. Man, its gonna burn a hole in my wallet xD

I did it the other way around - I used to have only Nintendo consoles, I changed and bought a different console for the non-Nintendoes :)

Yeah new consoles with accessories are expensive, personally I sold a lot of stuff to be able to afford the Switch with ease.

Okay, I'm getting annoyed now. So many people herding together to do unboxings, so many comparison pictures with the wii and 3DS (to the point of pic of the Switch cartridge in a 3DS and "DUUUH it doesn't fit" commentary) yet nobody seems to take the effort to lay the left and right Joycon down and put a SNES controller next to it.

I did find someone taking a low quality picture with a NES controller though.

Spoiler

nes-pad.jpg?w=1024

I'll post a picture here with my SNES controller when I have the Switch.

You know, after playing for so long that the screen has been burned into my retinas.

46 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Okay, I'm getting annoyed now. So many people herding together to do unboxings, so many comparison pictures with the wii and 3DS (to the point of pic of the Switch cartridge in a 3DS and "DUUUH it doesn't fit" commentary) yet nobody seems to take the effort to lay the left and right Joycon down and put a SNES controller next to it.

I did find someone taking a low quality picture with a NES controller though.

Hide contents

nes-pad.jpg?w=1024

I'll post a picture here with my SNES controller when I have the Switch.

You know, after playing for so long that the screen has been burned into my retinas.

But the NES controller seems much better for holding.

Now that I think about it... wasn't it you who said Vita is not for you because you have big hands? :awesome: 

Just seen this on NeoGAF:

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/arti...b7ac45a6d.html

- Nintendo-account will be necessary to access eShop on Switch
- Switch will need an update to access eShop
- You can buy eShop-games through the Nintendo homepage
- eShop charge from WiiU/3DS will carry over as long as the NNID is linked to your Nintendo-account

eShop launch line-up:

Packaged/Download versions
I Am Setsuna
Super Bomberman R
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Dragon Quest Heroes I-II
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power-Up Kit
Puyo-Puyo Tetris
Disgaea 5

Download-only
Snipperclips
The King of Fighters '98
Waku-Waku 7
Shock Troopers
World Heroes Perfect
Metal Slug 3
Voez
Othello
New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers
Flying Vroom-Vroom Bang
Soldam: Word of Bloom
Blaster Master Zero

Thank you to Garou and Cheesemeister

2 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

But the NES controller seems much better for holding.

Now that I think about it... wasn't it you who said Vita is not for you because you have big hands? :awesome: 

I never said which was better for holding, I just want a size comparison. The SNES controller will have the same - while smaller than later gen controllers, the directional pad and buttons were much more to the sides.

Yes I complained about the Vita because I have big hands, and yes I have doubts about the singular Joycon use. Size wasn't just the problem with the Vita though (I never had any problems with the 3DS or with the SNES controller), it was also about placing of the buttons and the use of the touch screen on the front as well as the touch pad on the back. The Vita just couldn't easily rest in my hands while I was playing because of how I had to twist my big fingers. We'll see in a week how good I think the Joycons are...

Luckily whenever I play by myself (heheh) I can just use the pro controller, and when I play with up to two others we can use the pro controller and two double Joycon grip combos. Snipperclips might be the best game to try the singular Joycon out on because it's such a casual paced game.

1 minute ago, FlareXV said:

Cool, though incomplete - at least for the west. Fast RMX and two Shovel Knight titles were revealed as being day one eShop titles yesterday.

What I take from this further confirmation that Snipperclips will be a launch game, which the employees at Pax South swore but which was never confirmed. With no VC at launch, I absolutely need Snipperclips to get my wife invested in the Switch.

1 minute ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Fast and Shovel Knight are launch titles now, so I'm just gonna be grabbing them digitally day one. They'll do me for a bit hopefully. Loved the first Fast game, and haven't got around to Shovel Knight yet. Here's hoping for <$25 each.

So glad I can easily see new replies when I'm typing these days... Anyway I'm not into Shovel Knight but I'm very glad Fast RMX is a launch title now, especially as (like expected but not hoped) the VC won't be filled day one. Now I'll have Fast and Snipperclips to play with others, and perhaps Bomberman as well.

4 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

So glad I can easily see new replies when I'm typing these days... Anyway I'm not into Shovel Knight but I'm very glad Fast RMX is a launch title now, especially as (like expected but not hoped) the VC won't be filled day one. Now I'll have Fast and Snipperclips to play with others, and perhaps Bomberman as well.

Hit me up if you wanna do some MP in Fast, while the Ninty Network is free at least. I'll probably mostly be doing split screen with the missus for the most part though. Bugger about the VC though, I read that this morning and a part of me died, stupid me, having hope in Nintendo to do something easy that would make a bunch of money and make a bunch of people real happy.

21 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Hit me up if you wanna do some MP in Fast, while the Ninty Network is free at least. I'll probably mostly be doing split screen with the missus for the most part though. Bugger about the VC though, I read that this morning and a part of me died, stupid me, having hope in Nintendo to do something easy that would make a bunch of money and make a bunch of people real happy.

Yeah I was thinking of trying to get some people together anyway, I've also been asked for Mario Kart. I don't think there's any team threads on PSNP though, like a group or something, unless we're talking events or mass PMs. Thinking about that, I really should add Switch user names once we know them in the Switch event.

I don't know if I'll pay for online once it's not free any more, it's nice that it costs less but I'm mainly a single player guy and I will just often invite people over to game offline.

I feel like no VC might be a blessing in disguise though, so we can focus on new games instead of playing all those old games once more. At least Mario Kart will have released before I go on holiday so there's enough to take along with me even if we have to wait on VC for a while longer.

P.S. my 128GB microSD card has arrived yesterday. I'm sorry to all millenials but it still feels super weird to me that so much data can go on such a little thing. I'm old enough to have actively used 3.5 inch floppy disks myself.

... anyways, I'm glad that I decided to sell and trade in a lot of stuff in advance. That means that now I can actually think about getting Snipperclips, Fast RMX and Bomberman day one without having to think too much about the price. My Switch has been almost completely paid off, Zelda and the extra Joycons are completely paid off as well. Going to take money out of my Fractured Butthole pre-order (who knows when that one will finally land but I had it completely paid off already) and that means paying off all other stuff until I have only €30 left to pay. Not bad considering next to that I only paid €105, the rest was all done by trading in games/consoles at the store.

In lesser news, I cancelled my Horizon Zero Dawn pre-order. Going to be busy with the Switch, and I really want to get through The Witcher III this time around on PS4 so I just don't have the time. I'll definitely get it a t a later point in time though.

Sorry for the triple post but I feel like we should talk about the fault in the Joycons that is now popping up across the net.

Apparently, some reviewers experienced difficulty with the left Joycon, it disconnecting from the Switch from time to time. Something to do with the signal not getting through to the Switch, for instance if you're too far away or if there's an obstruction between the Switch and Joycon.

Now, we only know that people are talking about it now and that people on events never experienced any issues so we don't know if it's just an obstruction, or if the batteries of these Joycons aren't fully charged (or almost decharged), or if it's only an issue with distance. There are a few theories, ranging from "fixable through firmware update" to "unfixable design flaw" to "that's what happens with Bluetooth".

I feel like we should do the mature thing though and just discuss this, neither ignoring it nor going into a rage like many other forums are doing.

Personally, when playing alone it doesn't matter for me because I'll be using the pro controller. I hope that there's no issues for me in the end though because I don't have a lot of space on top of my television cabinet and I was planning on putting the Switch either perpendicular to the television or even behind it... perhaps move the Switch to a table next to the television whenever I'm in co-op?

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

P.S. my 128GB microSD card has arrived yesterday. I'm sorry to all millenials but it still feels super weird to me that so much data can go on such a little thing. I'm old enough to have actively used 3.5 inch floppy disks myself.

I know what you mean, I remember using 5.25" disks on my Commodore 64. :) 

Also, never NEVER apologize to Millenials... at least until they are paying for our Medicare/National Health / whatever other form of care your country provides. :P

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Sorry for the triple post but I feel like we should talk about the fault in the Joycons that is now popping up across the net.

Apparently, some reviewers experienced difficulty with the left Joycon, it disconnecting from the Switch from time to time. Something to do with the signal not getting through to the Switch, for instance if you're too far away or if there's an obstruction between the Switch and Joycon.

Now, we only know that people are talking about it now and that people on events never experienced any issues so we don't know if it's just an obstruction, or if the batteries of these Joycons aren't fully charged (or almost decharged), or if it's only an issue with distance. There are a few theories, ranging from "fixable through firmware update" to "unfixable design flaw" to "that's what happens with Bluetooth".

I feel like we should do the mature thing though and just discuss this, neither ignoring it nor going into a rage like many other forums are doing.

Personally, when playing alone it doesn't matter for me because I'll be using the pro controller. I hope that there's no issues for me in the end though because I don't have a lot of space on top of my television cabinet and I was planning on putting the Switch either perpendicular to the television or even behind it... perhaps move the Switch to a table next to the television whenever I'm in co-op?

Who in their right minds is claiming "that's what happens with Bluetooth"? That is a nonsensical explanation that I think anyone who has used a PS3 or PS4 knows is bullshit. I can take my Dual Shock 3 or 4 at least 25 feet from the console (e.g. bringing it into the kitchen which is adjacent to the family room where I have my primary consoles) and use the controllers just as accurately as sitting on my couch much closer to them, and this is with both systems inside my credenza that's got half-inch thick walls. Blaming Bluetooth for this Joycon issue is just dumb, unless people seriously believe Nintendo designed a crippled Bluetooth implementation after getting it right on Wii. What am I saying, I'm sure there ARE people who believe that. :facepalm:

The only range problem I've ever had while gaming was with my Wiimotes and the Wii U Gamepad, and that was due to the sensor bar needing line-of-sight and the Wii U using a proprietary wireless interface with known range limitations. Yes, the Wiimote uses Bluetooth but that's never been a problem for me in itself. 

The only real possibilities here are that it's a use problem, a glitchy device, or a design flaw. Only time will tell on that. 

5 hours ago, FlareXV said:

That is actually a fairly good launch line-up (plus the additions BillyHorrible mentioned). There aren't a lot of titles that interest me there, but I think it's a good list. It almost makes up for the lack of VC, but if I get one at launch it will still be for only one game (Zelda), and since I'm not a huge Zelda fan that seems silly. Of course, this is coming from the guy who bought the Xbox One mostly for one game, Sunset Overdrive. That was more obviously a game I would love though, and I knew I'd get into a few other games as well. 

I need to read more about Snipperclips, to see if it will be really enjoyable in singleplayer. I actually agree with those who have posted that this and the LEGO games are good "gateway" games to get people into gaming, but my wife is just not interested in gaming in the slightest. She doesn't even play smartphone games. My toddler daughter, on the other hand, enjoys holding my controller occasionally and pushing the button to make the LEGO character jump. The other day I was playing AC3 (just running around in the Frontier, not stabbing people in front of my toddler!), and she was frustrated that she couldn't just push a button to make Connor jump. :) 

Anyway, a lot of co-op focused titles just don't play well in singleplayer, and I have a feeling Super Bomberman R is in that category. I've tried a couple of previous games in the series and they are very clearly meant to be played in a group. That could be why I don't get into Smash and Mario Kart games either (the last time I had fun with Mario Kart was playing the N64 version with friends back in the day), but I keep buying them like an idiot and getting bored. Hopefully Snipperclips is fun for singleplayer-only gamers, because it looks cool and I enjoy games that are "different". 

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Where does it say four players though? It's not in that news story, or did you misread "April 4 with co-op"? It looks like two player co-op, like the other games.

The Wii U version of LEGO City Undercover was singleplayer only. It sort of made sense due to the nature of the gameplay, but it's good that they are adding 2-player co-op this time around. I loved the original version; apart from terrible load times it was one of the Wii U's best exclusives. And completionists beware, it's a LONG grind to 100%, although faster load times should decrease that a bit this time around. If I do get the game again I'll be torn between portability on Switch, or trophies and slightly better graphics on PS4. I have to admit, it would be pretty cool to have a portable LEGO game that's a full-blown open-world experience instead of the watered-down 3DS/Vita versions (although I play all the Vita ones too). I really wish they would include the 3DS version (LEGO City Undercover The Chase Begins) in a remastered form in this new release, but it doesn't look likely. It was actually a decent game hiding behind the 3DS' limitations, so I'd enjoy playing it on a more capable system. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller