Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

So this weekend I decided to let my Switch rest while I dusted off my Wii U to catch up on my backlog a bit. I played a bit of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, New Super Mario Bros U, and Yoshi's Woolly World. I also tried to fire up Super Mario 3D World but the disc wouldn't work. Even though the bottom of the disc is spotless and it worked perfectly when I last played it 4 years ago or so, it won't start now. I tried cleaning it and a few other tricks, but nothing worked. Very weird, especially considering the 3 other games I played were all disc games and worked fine. Good thing I finished the game when it first came out. I was just trying to refresh my memory on how much of the post-story content I had played, oh well.

Since everyone loves mentioning Wii U games that should be ported to Switch, Yoshi's Woolly World is one of them. The yarn aesthetic is incredibly charming, and the gameplay is really fun. Although it's generally relaxing gameplay, there are parts that are a bit tricky. Also, like several of the previous Yoshi games, there is real challenge in 100% completing the game, so more experienced platforming fans have a chance to challenge themselves. The same developer (Good-Feel, which has one of the best names in gaming) is working on Yoshi for Switch, but it looks different enough to not be a direct sequel (it dropped the yarn look for example). It would be a shame if more people didn't get to play the game. I think it might be a long shot since Nintendo already ported it to 3DS, but I still think it would be a great port to fill out a first/second party release lull at some point in the future, after Yoshi Switch has released and made people remember why Yoshi games are fun.

Anyway, I'm even more excited for Yoshi Switch now.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

On 1/8/2018 at 0:52 PM, Z1MZUM said:

I bought Zelda for $19 at Cash Converters :)  I have already played it on the Wii U and that was pretty impressive, the switch certainly shows a better display.

The Switch version? That's some good shit if so. None of the Cashies shops in my area have had a single Switch game yet. Did see a Switch console though, think they wanted like 300 for it, despite Big W at the time having them for 370 new half a minute down the road.

On 1/7/2018 at 6:39 PM, Eyjabria said:

I haven't noticed anything weird with my Switch play log, though I haven't tried resetting it or changing regions. I love the Activity Log on 3DS and wish Switch had an identical functionality.

Haven't seen leaks about firmware update, but ever since I got my Switch in March, looking at the settings it seemed obvious to me that they will start offering home screen themes like on 3DS (animated / panoramic wallpapers, themed folders, music). I think video service apps have been mentioned by Nintendo and Japan already got NicoNico(?).

It's some oddball stuff to be honest.

It was obvious from the get go, yeah, the fact there's a theme section at all is pretty obvs. And yeah, I know Japan got something, but I mean the big boys like YouTube and Netflix. Though tbh, I would maybe use YouTube here and there on it and that's about it. As much as I love the idea of Netflix on it, like, the battery life is too short on the thing for me to waste it watching TV. God I hope they let you put MP3 files on the memory card though, honestly would be a selling point to me, since PS4 and Xbox One both require external media and an app and all that to play songs, and the PS4 can't even play CDs (but that's another issue).

@Pickle Rick (I had to scroll for a while to figure out what your latest name was, by the way) ... I am a bit over an hour and a half into Pokemon Silver, the only Game Boy one I used to own at one point, and it's pretty sweet. I wouldn't be able to play it on the DS or anything because I'd get bored and wanna play a more modern, less clunky kinda game, probably even one of the newer Pokemons the missus has, but anyway, I'm playing it on a Nokia 3310 through a Game Boy Color emulator, and it's honestly quite fun to just play for 5 minutes or so when I've got the chance. And like, I see the appeal of it, but I see it in the 90s. The new ones appear to be pretty much the same thing in a new, shiny coat of paint, and there's always people yelling about how this is the case, tell me, is this really the case? Like, I dig Silver, but I wouldn't be playing an incremental upgrade of any game each time for 20 years (even Tony Hawk and Spider-Man eventually got skipped over by me at times), anyway. I'm getting myself amped up I think for the Switch full fledged RPG, might very well be the first Pokemon game I actually buy day one (not counting Alpha, and Moon, which were day one bought *by* me, but not *for* me). I wonder if they'll let us do battles online, because I'ma be coming for you if they do.

18 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

So this weekend I decided to let my Switch rest while I dusted off my Wii U to catch up on my backlog a bit. I played a bit of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, New Super Mario Bros U, and Yoshi's Woolly World. I also tried to fire up Super Mario 3D World but the disc wouldn't work. Even though the bottom of the disc is spotless and it worked perfectly when I last played it 4 years ago or so, it won't start now. I tried cleaning it and a few other tricks, but nothing worked. Very weird, especially considering the 3 other games I played were all disc games and worked fine. Good thing I finished the game when it first came out. I was just trying to refresh my memory on how much of the post-story content I had played, oh well

Mine did that with Black Ops 2, one of the first games I got for the thing. Ended up taking the disc back, next one did the same thing. Third copy finally worked, weirdest shit out. All three were brand new and immaculate condition. 

12 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

@Pickle Rick (I had to scroll for a while to figure out what your latest name was, by the way) ... I am a bit over an hour and a half into Pokemon Silver, the only Game Boy one I used to own at one point, and it's pretty sweet. I wouldn't be able to play it on the DS or anything because I'd get bored and wanna play a more modern, less clunky kinda game, probably even one of the newer Pokemons the missus has, but anyway, I'm playing it on a Nokia 3310 through a Game Boy Color emulator, and it's honestly quite fun to just play for 5 minutes or so when I've got the chance. And like, I see the appeal of it, but I see it in the 90s. The new ones appear to be pretty much the same thing in a new, shiny coat of paint, and there's always people yelling about how this is the case, tell me, is this really the case? Like, I dig Silver, but I wouldn't be playing an incremental upgrade of any game each time for 20 years (even Tony Hawk and Spider-Man eventually got skipped over by me at times), anyway. I'm getting myself amped up I think for the Switch full fledged RPG, might very well be the first Pokemon game I actually buy day one (not counting Alpha, and Moon, which were day one bought *by* me, but not *for* me). I wonder if they'll let us do battles online, because I'ma be coming for you if they do.

Here I was, perfectly happy with my decision to not waste time on PSNP for a while, and you just had to @ me, didn't you.

And just hours short of me being able to change my username again... Stay tuned for a new Rick! WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!

... Yes, to my best knowledge the Pokémon series has stayed pretty much the same, though @MosesRockefeller (or others here with a 3DS) may have played more recent versions than me. I played through a few of the old ones, I did buy Y but the last one I actually played through was Platinum. 

Don't know if Pokémon actually needs to change a lot though. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'd actually be the happiest if the new Pokémon game was just Red/Blue with the latest graphics/gameplay updates; first gen Pokémon still are the best in my eyes.

Online battles should be possible, as it's already a thing on 3DS.

Now that I'm here: most of my gaming time the last week has been spent on Stardew Valley on the Switch (close to ending year 2 now, just a couple of hours to go and I'm now only doing what I must to keep the farm going as I completed the community center already), and some PSVR games as well as The Talos Principle on PS4.

Don't know if I already mentioned this but I played through VS. Super Mario Bros. around Christmas. It's a very solid port and a great game still.

Also, interested to see what Nintendo has planned for January's Direct.

18 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yoshi's Woolly World

If this is ever ported, I'm definitely buying it. It's one of the games I would most certainly have played if I had had a Wii U.

6 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

... Yes, to my best knowledge the Pokémon series has stayed pretty much the same, though @MosesRockefeller (or others here with a 3DS) may have played more recent versions than me. I played through a few of the old ones, I did buy Y but the last one I actually played through was Platinum. 

I've tried a few of the DS and 3DS version of Pokemon, but I never got farther than a few hours. I never played the classic GB versions, so I can't comment on the evolution of the series besides the obvious jumps to color and then 3D.

6 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

If this is ever ported, I'm definitely buying it. It's one of the games I would most certainly have played if I had had a Wii U.

3 hours ago, Shiny Suicune said:

They have it for 3DS. I am playing that currently xD

My sister beat it for Wii U :P

There is a 3DS port, as @Shiny Suicune says, but it looks so nice on the Wii U that the 3DS version obviously makes visual sacrifices. I've heard it's a nice game there as well however. Still, I think a Switch port would offer the best of both worlds. It would look as good if not better than the Wii U version, while still offering a portable option. I hope we get a port.

Also, woohoo! I cleared the regular puzzles in Picross S, and I'm almost done with the first tab of Mega Picross puzzles.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2018/01/09/it-turns-out-you-can-get-a-baby-to-play-mario-kart-8-on-nintendo-switch/#5dc38e371974

Not to be a dick, but my kid was doing that when the damn thing dropped in late April when she was just over a year old, and I didn't feel the need to write a full on article on Forbes about it. Congratulations on being able to hold something in your hand and rotate it at the age of 3, kid, I guess.

Also, COME ON ALREADY!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTHc0AaVoAAGnT2.jpg:large

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

22 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

The Switch version? That's some good shit if so. None of the Cashies shops in my area have had a single Switch game yet. Did see a Switch console though, think they wanted like 300 for it, despite Big W at the time having them for 370 new half a minute down the road.

Yeah it's the switch version and there was a switch with it though I didn't look at the cost. I loved Wii U's version of BOTW but the moment I loaded the Switch version the difference is immediately obvious. I've spent allot on holidays so holding back buying new for a bit, grabbing this was a real bargain. With that said I bought games from North to South America, duhhhhhh.

19 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Spidey (I can call you Spidey, can't I?), this is for you:

1150081.jpg?b64lines=IFRoZSBvbmx5IG1vbnN

Seriously though, this Nintendo Direct rumor mongering is nuts. What a time to be alive.

Don't get me wrong, I am interested in and excited about the next Direct as a Switch and 3DS owner, but people are losing their damn minds over this. So what if it's this week, next week, the last week in the month, or the first week of February. I have plenty of games to play for the near future, and I have Bayonetta 1/2 preordered. I'm good. I'll watch it whenever it actually comes out.

17 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Yeah it's the switch version and there was a switch with it though I didn't look at the cost. I loved Wii U's version of BOTW but the moment I loaded the Switch version the difference is immediately obvious. I've spent allot on holidays so holding back buying new for a bit, grabbing this was a real bargain. With that said I bought games from North to South America, duhhhhhh.

Nice. Some day, my Cashies stores will get Switch games. Some day. Though, mind you, it can be hit and miss. Sometimes there's brand new stuff for 20 odd, and other times they want 40 for a shitty game that's a few years old already, see; Watch Dogs PS4, $29 a couple weeks back.

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Spidey (I can call you Spidey, can't I?), this is for you:

Seriously though, this Nintendo Direct rumor mongering is nuts. What a time to be alive.

Don't get me wrong, I am interested in and excited about the next Direct as a Switch and 3DS owner, but people are losing their damn minds over this. So what if it's this week, next week, the last week in the month, or the first week of February. I have plenty of games to play for the near future, and I have Bayonetta 1/2 preordered. I'm good. I'll watch it whenever it actually comes out.

You can call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner.

It's crazy how some people are, yeah. I don't really care too much, but all my YouTubers ain't shutting up about it, and I've still got a few weeks left off so whenever I'm not playing with the baby or whatever, I jump online and it's in my face everywhere. Probably my own fault for only keeping 40 odd friends on Facebook and like 6 subscriptions on YouTube, but still. I'm living in a Nintendechochamber right now. 

But still, gimme my Direct. I wanna see the VC, I wanna get my game every month, etc.

And also, on Bayonetta in particular, I'll only be getting number one, at least for now. I had the double pack on Wii U when it dropped, I had the first one on PS3, then Gold gave it to me on 360 as well, but come February / March / whenever it launches, I forget, the library will give me my forth copy of the game. They let you request games for them to buy, and I asked for the Bayonetta two pack on Switch, they said they're getting it, and I'm first in line. With regards to games with codes in them, they leave them in the thing (not like they can rent them out or anything, really) so it's just whoever first borrows the game and bothers to use it. And they're entirely fine with this too, which I love. I rented Just Cause 3, Dark Souls 3, and some others from them, months after release and they both had codes for Just Cause 2 and Dark Souls 1 inside them, I asked the dude if they wanted the code back or what (I already had both on PS3 anyway) and he just said feel free to use it, or someone else will eventually anyways. So I'm keen as a bean to load up these two for free, especially since I bought the two pack and never actually played number two year (I know, I know). It's in my activity log with twenty odd minutes on it because I tried to start it like three times but stuff happened and I had to venture out into the real world, so it just sat at the menus for a few minutes each time. Poor bastard.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

47 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

You can call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner.

It's crazy how some people are, yeah. I don't really care too much, but all my YouTubers ain't shutting up about it, and I've still got a few weeks left off so whenever I'm not playing with the baby or whatever, I jump online and it's in my face everywhere. Probably my own fault for only keeping 40 odd friends on Facebook and like 6 subscriptions on YouTube, but still. I'm living in a Nintendechochamber right now. 

But still, gimme my Direct. I wanna see the VC, I wanna get my game every month, etc.

And also, on Bayonetta in particular, I'll only be getting number one, at least for now. I had the double pack on Wii U when it dropped, I had the first one on PS3, then Gold gave it to me on 360 as well, but come February / March / whenever it launches, I forget, the library will give me my forth copy of the game. They let you request games for them to buy, and I asked for the Bayonetta two pack on Switch, they said they're getting it, and I'm first in line. With regards to games with codes in them, they leave them in the thing (not like they can rent them out or anything, really) so it's just whoever first borrows the game and bothers to use it. And they're entirely fine with this too, which I love. I rented Just Cause 3, Dark Souls 3, and some others from them, months after release and they both had codes for Just Cause 2 and Dark Souls 1 inside them, I asked the dude if they wanted the code back or what (I already had both on PS3 anyway) and he just said feel free to use it, or someone else will eventually anyways. So I'm keen as a bean to load up these two for free, especially since I bought the two pack and never actually played number two year (I know, I know). It's in my activity log with twenty odd minutes on it because I tried to start it like three times but stuff happened and I had to venture out into the real world, so it just sat at the menus for a few minutes each time. Poor bastard.

I hear ya. I definitely want to hear more Nintendo news, but the online reaction is nuts. I truly don't understand how so many things become so huge online. I guess I'm too old. 

That's a nice deal from your library. I can't remember the last time I had a library that had games? Probably 20 years ago. My library now only has DVDs and CDs. 

Also, come on man. I make a brilliant classic Simpsons reference pic and you can't even make a funny remark? What is the world coming to??? 

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I hear ya. I definitely want to hear more Nintendo news, but the online reaction is nuts. I truly don't understand how so many things become so huge online. I guess I'm too old. 

That's a nice deal from your library. I can't remember the last time I had a library that had games? Probably 20 years ago. My library now only has DVDs and CDs. 

Also, come on man. I make a brilliant classic Simpsons reference pic and you can't even make a funny remark? What is the world coming to??? 

More and more looking like the original January 11 rumour might happen, just with no formal announcement beforehand. Or GameStop's also got in on trolling us all.

Speaking of said library, they had NBA 2K18 today and I took the plunge. Someone's already cashed in the My Nintendo points though (bom bom). 

How's this for a Simpsons reference then? A couple weeks back I bought a Nokia 3310, I then spent a couple days converting (and crushing, really) all 28 completed seasons, and the movie, into 3GP format for the phone, averaging around 8mb per episode. I shoved over 600 episodes of the show onto a phone from the early 2000s in my spare time because I could, probably can't say I should, but that's not the point. I got a lot of time on my hands right now, okay. 

Anyway,

________________________________________________________________________NBA 2K18. 

________________________________________________________________________For Switch.

It does it's job. Needs a ridiculously big install, 17gb it says on the cover, think the game itself wanted 15/16 odd. I had around 15gb left on my card and 4 or 5 on the system, so I redownloaded Snake Pass onto the console and off the card, and that gave me a good 18gb free on the card, all's good, you think. Then you start it and it says it needs nearly 3gb of storage on the console in addition to the amount it needs on the card, presumably for the giant ass save file. So I'm like, that can go get bent, and instead I tell the thing to just fire up anyway. What happens when you don't let it download, is it takes you to the team select screen, with no option for any other menu, and you can pick from a shitload of different teams, I don't wanna say if it's the full roster or not, because I don't know a thing about NBA teams, but there's a few. You end up in a match with whoever you choose and there seems to be just one court available in this mode.

You'd think I'd just redownload Snake Pass later and install the game, and I very well may, but to be honest, I was never gonna get really into it, I was never gonna play story mode or whatever, I was just gonna play a few single session games and probably be done with it, so to be entirely honest, just playing this mode without the ridiculous install honestly would work fine for me. I appreciate, if nothing else, that at least *something* is playable without the download, I mean, it's basically a mini demo, considering the demo for the game is actually a lot bigger, but it's something nonetheless. Doom on the other hand doesn't even let me do shit, even with airplane mode on, which sucks because supposedly it's 7gb download is just for MP, something I literally could not care less about. But anyway,

So far the game, from that tiny little bit I've played, and bare in mind, that that bit at least isn't patched up, it's out the box gameplay with no patches, and it runs, pretty good. Visuals are quite nice, graphically it's very good, at least to me. No noticeable frame drops or anything, controls are tight sound is nice, everything seems to run fine. Now I know WWE 2K is the thing that got the major press for being a shit port, but IIRC NBA 2K also got a fair bit of flack for being shit, so far at least, it seems like a pretty good port, at least on the level of FIFA Switch was. Can't speak to how much content is in the game though, all I can say, is so far the game looks to be a fine port job for the Switch. 

I'm gonna hit download on all the shit now, and then go play with my kid, I'll bop back on at some point with further progress, I guess. So far though, the old version of NBA Playgrounds is infinitely more fun, as expected.

8 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

How's this for a Simpsons reference then? A couple weeks back I bought a Nokia 3310, I then spent a couple days converting (and crushing, really) all 28 completed seasons, and the movie, into 3GP format for the phone, averaging around 8mb per episode. I shoved over 600 episodes of the show onto a phone from the early 2000s in my spare time because I could, probably can't say I should, but that's not the point. I got a lot of time on my hands right now, okay.

Wow... 8MB. I remember using 3GP on a new-at-the-time old phone, like one time. Thankfully it wasn't long before I got a phone with MP4 support.

My wife used to have Homer Loves Flanders (and a few other episodes) on her iPod Video (which was a iPhone 3 without being a phone) and that's still her favorite episode to this day.

Well, just like The Last Jedi, the hyping times were more fun than the actual thing, though unlike TLJ, I'm not too surprised about this.

The fact they called it "mini" though, damn. Way to destroy hope before even watching it.

Hyrule Warriors was fun, I'll probs pick up the Switch version next year some time. 

More Mario Odyssey is never a bad thing, I'll be looking forward to more crap, even if it's nothing game shatteringly amazing.

Donkey Kong should be fun, I've been playing a bit of Donkey Kong Country on my Nokia lately, so I'm ready Reggie.

Dark Souls rounding out the presentation was unfortunately leaked like an hour or so earlier so I wasn't surprised, but still cool I guess. 

Other than making me want the Switch Kirby game more and more, not too much else happened here for me.

Eat shit to the people who were so sure GTA V would be announced, and RDR Remastered, and this, that, and the other. Glad I only got in on the hype train like a week or so back, or else I'd probs actually be bummed. Did kinda think, with all those studios doing those Twitter posts, and with the Amazon links, that there'd be at least a fair few more offerings in this Direct. Maybe the ultimate middle finger is dumping a small one, before doing a real one later today? I don't know. Oh well.

Free Mario Odyssey shit is my main take away from this, and I'm okay with that.

48 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Wow... 8MB. I remember using 3GP on a new-at-the-time old phone, like one time. Thankfully it wasn't long before I got a phone with MP4 support.

My wife used to have Homer Loves Flanders (and a few other episodes) on her iPod Video (which was a iPhone 3 without being a phone) and that's still her favorite episode to this day.

I could have made it smaller too, but 8mb was as low as I could get it while also keeping the audio halfway decent, and the framerate consistent. I can't usually make out the chalkboard gag, but anything bigger I can read fine. 

I had a few movies a mate put on my old iPod Shuffle. One of them was an Adam Sandler movie from the late 00s. I was so desperate for portable cool shit on it I definitely watched it a few times more than I should have, namely, a few times at all.

OMG THIS YEAR THE AMOUNT OF SWITCH GAMES I WANT IS A LOT lol

PS4 games and others not much in 2018 xD

I do want

Dark Souls(Never played it lol)

Mario Tennis Aces

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Dragon Quest Builders 1

Dragon Quest Builders 2

Bayonetta 1

Bayonetta 2

Bayonetta 3

Wonder-Boy Trap(I think)

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  

lol Much more then I want any other system xDDD

33 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Well, just like The Last Jedi, the hyping times were more fun than the actual thing, though unlike TLJ, I'm not too surprised about this.

The fact they called it "mini" though, damn. Way to destroy hope before even watching it.

Hyrule Warriors was fun, I'll probs pick up the Switch version next year some time. 

More Mario Odyssey is never a bad thing, I'll be looking forward to more crap, even if it's nothing game shatteringly amazing.

Donkey Kong should be fun, I've been playing a bit of Donkey Kong Country on my Nokia lately, so I'm ready Reggie.

Dark Souls rounding out the presentation was unfortunately leaked like an hour or so earlier so I wasn't surprised, but still cool I guess. 

Other than making me want the Switch Kirby game more and more, not too much else happened here for me.

Eat shit to the people who were so sure GTA V would be announced, and RDR Remastered, and this, that, and the other. Glad I only got in on the hype train like a week or so back, or else I'd probs actually be bummed. Did kinda think, with all those studios doing those Twitter posts, and with the Amazon links, that there'd be at least a fair few more offerings in this Direct. Maybe the ultimate middle finger is dumping a small one, before doing a real one later today? I don't know. Oh well.

Free Mario Odyssey shit is my main take away from this, and I'm okay with that.

Hey, TLJ was great!

Anywho, the Direct Mini was solid but not earth-shattering. I didn't get caught up by the hype but i definitely found a fake Pokemon trailer troll video this morning and started watching that. When the developer started saying the Switch sells great so the game will too, I was like "wait, Nintendo can't be trolling us THIS bad". Then I noticed the uploader wasn't Nintendo. Doh, that one's on me.

Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors are both solid Wii U games to port. Dang, I'm tempted to get them both even though I have the Wii U versions. My progress is pretty small in both games, so it's not like I have a big story investment. Also, adding a "cheat" character for Tropical Freeze is a good way to expand the player base, since those games are pretty challenging at times. I have played them both within the past month on my Wii U, and they're both quality games. Hyrule Warriors is especially interesting since it will have better performance and quality on Switch, plus it packs in all the DLC and the extra story content from the 3DS version (without the graphical downgrade that came with it). Hey, we can play as female Link now!

I saw Luigi in the SMO DLC trailer and thought "yes, playable Luigi!" Oh well, it still looks interesting. I don't know if I'll get into the balloon thing but it seems like a good way to keep speedrunners playing. Also, new outfits, so I can grab them while going for a few more Power Moons. It will be a nice way to get a little more value out of the game.

That Mario+Rabbids DLC trailer made me grin the whole time. I love the humor in that game. The real question is, does the new story DLC have just Donkey Kong as a playable character, or will we get Rabbid Kong too?

Kirby Star Allies looks great, and I'm glad we got a release date.

Fe looks interesting. The other indie game does too, but the graphics are a little too retro for me. We'll see.

Overall, I was only interested in half of the games, but that's fine. I'm sure we'll see more 3rd party games as the year goes on, but Dark Souls is a good one to kick off the year with. It's not really for me (I tried Bloodborne and it wasn't really my thing... I sort of understand the appeal, but not the rabid following the series has), but it's a good choice.

16 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

Mario Tennis Aces

Dragon Quest Builders 1

Dragon Quest Builders 2

Oh yeah, I thought Tennis Aces looked interesting. I haven't played the previous Mario sports games (Tennis, Golf, etc.) but it looks neat, at least for the story mode. And hey, more Wario and Waluigi is a good thing!

I enjoyed Dragon Quest Builders on Vita quite a bit. I still need to go back and play more of it. I definitely recommend that people try the demo on Switch. In fact, I'll probably try it myself to see if being able to play in both Handheld and Docked mode is enough to make me double dip. Or maybe I should just wait for the sequel.

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy we know you don't like The Last Jedi, but we already have trolls on this site ruining the The Last Jedi thread so people who liked the movie can't have a decent discussion. @MosesRockefeller and I don't keep talking in the Switch thread about how much we loved the movie so it would be cool if you wouldn't keep making random "TLJ is disappointing" analogies :)

On the Direct: I didn't get hyped that much but I did enjoy the trolling hyping done by Nintendo of America on twitter.

Whenever people start getting hyped for a new Direct, I remind myself how the Direct from January 2017 was disappointing to me but still give me enough info to want to pre-order a Switch. I loved the vid they did last E3 though.

Best case scenario for me would've been something, anything, on whatever Retro Studios has been working on since Tropical Freeze four years ago.

On the contents of the Direct:

The World Ends With You: doesn't seem like something for me, though I did hear of the game before and it's supposed to be very good.

Kirby Star Allies: I don't know when but I believe I theorised before in this thread that it would make sense for Kirby to release either in February or March. What with Bayonetta 1-2 in February, a March release date is what I expected, though it is good to have confirmation. Might get this day one. I don't know if it's enough fun for one player though.

Mario Tennis Aces: I was all set on ignoring this like I ignore all Mario sports games (Kart excluded), but then they bring in Story Mode... Hmmmmm.

Super Mario Odyssey Balloon Mode: I actually like this a lot, it's like the post-game thingie in Assassin's Creed III which I enjoyed, only now it's in a better game and you can go for specific other players.

Fe: but it's EA we're talking about so I'll do a "wait and see" approach here.

Celeste: while I'm still not sold on bit music and graphics, it seems cool. Depends on the price, I guess.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: HOLY SHIT YES. I never had a Wii U and this is one of the games, like Yoshi's Woolly World, which I pegged as "must play... If I had the system". These games together weren't a system seller for me but it'll be awesome to finally play this. I've heard people call it the single best platformer in over a decade. It makes sense to port a great game like this to a Nintendo console that has had more consoles sold in its first year than the Wii U in its entire life, and I hope to see more games join Tropical Freeze in being ported. That Funky Kong looks suspiciously like Easy Mode, though.

Dark Souls: cool, but unlike Skyrim, Dark Souls depends on constant and continuous attention without a means to pause, so it's not that good a fit for handheld mode for me. I still will probably get this in the end, though.

Well, all in all, a great Direct for me on the news of Tropical Freeze alone.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Oh yeah, I thought Tennis Aces looked interesting. I haven't played the previous Mario sports games (Tennis, Golf, etc.) but it looks neat, at least for the story mode. And hey, more Wario and Waluigi is a good thing!

I LOVE WALUIGI. I hope they make a Soccer game xD. Loved Mario Strikers

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I enjoyed Dragon Quest Builders on Vita quite a bit. I still need to go back and play more of it. I definitely recommend that people try the demo on Switch. In fact, I'll probably try it myself to see if being able to play in both Handheld and Docked mode is enough to make me double dip. Or maybe I should just wait for the sequel.

I haven't played it on vita or ps4. So I rather get both for Switch :)

1 hour ago, Simple Rick said:

The World Ends With You: doesn't seem like something for me, though I did hear of the game before and it's supposed to be very good.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: HOLY SHIT YES. I never had a Wii U and this is one of the games, like Yoshi's Woolly World, which I pegged as "must play... If I had the system". These games together weren't a system seller for me but it'll be awesome to finally play this. I've heard people call it the single best platformer in over a decade. It makes sense to port a great game like this to a Nintendo console that has had more consoles sold in its first year than the Wii U in its entire life, and I hope to see more games join Tropical Freeze in being ported. That Funky Kong looks suspiciously like Easy Mode, though.

I forgot about TWEWY. I actually got a DS copy a while back, but I only spent a few minutes playing. It's a JRPG which I don't think is a genre you like, but from what I understand it sets itself apart with some unique gameplay and story ideas. I'll keep an eye on the Switch version, but I'm not convinced yet to double dip.

I figured you would get excited about Tropical Freeze. Did you play the first game on Wii or 3DS? Donkey Kong Country Returns? It's basically more of the same, but with very cool 2D backgrounds. I think the original Wii game had some gimmicks (maybe waggle) which Tropical Freeze doesn't have. Funky Kong wasn't in the Wii U version of TF, and yes he's definitely Easy Mode. From what I can tell, that is an option for gamers who are struggling with the difficulty. For the normal challenge, you would just stick to playing as Donkey Kong. It'm not sure I'd call it the best platformer of the 2010's, but it's way up there for sure. And it has that Donkey Kong charm.

10 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

I LOVE WALUIGI. I hope they make a Soccer game xD. Loved Mario Strikers

I haven't played it on vita or ps4. So I rather get both for Switch :)

When I was a younger man, I saw Wario and Waluigi pop up in one of the Mario Karts, and my initial thought was "what the hell is with these 'evil' rip-offs of Mario and Luigi?" But now that I've seen them in a few more games, they've really grown on me. I'm still only familiar with Waluigi from Mario Kart, but I've played a few games where you play as Wario, and he's great.

Definitely check out the DQ Builders 1 demo on Switch. It's a neat game, especially if you want something like Minecraft but with more structured goals.

Give me motion controls in Mario Tennis like in Wii Fit U's Puzzle Squash and I'm game.

Dark Souls Remastered should be cool, husbando will definitely get it day one regardless of having platted it on PS3.

Already have Hyrule Warriors on Wii U, so probably not getting it on Switch. 

Played the original Donkey Kong Country on SNES and it was a quality game. DK Country Tropical Freeze I don't have yet, but I'm not much into platformers these days.

Completely hyped for Donkey Kong. I was so pissed that I missed out on the Wii and Wii U exclusive titles.

I'll be picking up Tropical Freeze, day 1, for sure.

Also glad that Dark Souls is happening on the Switch... but my experience is rooted on the PS4 and will remain so. But it's great for other people that want a watered down portable version. Definitely not my kinda cup of tea, but it's still great.

24 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

When I was a younger man, I saw Wario and Waluigi pop up in one of the Mario Karts, and my initial thought was "what the hell is with these 'evil' rip-offs of Mario and Luigi?" But now that I've seen them in a few more games, they've really grown on me. I'm still only familiar with Waluigi from Mario Kart, but I've played a few games where you play as Wario, and he's great.

You know what's funny, I thought the same thing then, I loved Waluigi ever since Mario Kart Double Dash lol. Then Mario Strikers and I use him practically in every Mario Party lol. I just wish he had a standalone game like Luigi or Yoshi even Wario has his own series lol

Definitely check out the DQ Builders 1 demo on Switch. It's a neat game, especially if you want something like Minecraft but with more structured goals.

Yea I definitely will. I never played Minecraft but never hurts to try a game similar lol. Heehee :)

Edited by Shiny Suicune
Spelling errors