Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Oxenfree is on sale for €5, as in 75% off of the full price. That's also the cheapest it ever was on PS4. Don't know if I can resist that price.

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

As an amateur pianist, there are some great options that aren't too expensive. And you'll get all the cool sound effects you can use in addition to a classic piano. SO that's cool. Hopefully you'll get more use out of yours if you decide to get one.

Yeah I used to have a keyboard as a teen. Don't know what I would want now, electronic or classic. I'll figure it out eventually.

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also, have we talked about Amiibo here yet? With the success of the Switch, I hope Nintendo goes back and rereleases out-of-print Amiibo, or makes new editions of them. For example, the SMO Mario is fine, but I'd much rather have the classic Super Mario series Mario, since it is a version of him from more than one game. Right now I have a quest to get the Bowser Jr Amiibo, and they only made one version of him. I don't feel like paying $30 for a second-hand used copy. My wish is that Nintendo sees the value in ramping up Amiibo production. I went from having 3 from the 3DS/Wii U days, to getting like 8 more (only one of which was new in-store) after the Switch got me more excited about Nintendo as a company. One other thing - only a handful of games made really clever use of Amiibo on the Wii U and 3DS, so I hope Nintendo improves that with upcoming Switch games. So far they've done fine, but there is room for improvement. They have done a good job of not gating off content so far. Hopefully they will use them for optional costumes and such going forward. Yoshi's Woolly World had a cool implementation, where scanning in any of 20 or so supported Amiibo, unlocked a skin for Yoshi based on the Amiibo in question. Playing as Yarn Yoshi with a Mario skin is pretty cool.

Reveal hidden contents

How cute is this?

Mario-amiibo-yoshi.png

Bit of a long read for me now as my eyes are tired but I've got a bunch of Amiibo, I mostly use them as collectables though.

1 hour ago, Shiny Suicune said:

@Simple Rick No seriously. My boyfriend amd I like it and my daughter likes playing with the Switch. She loves Bomberman and Mario Kart so why not? She even played the Switch Monopoly version xD. So I know she might like this :P

Sounds like how @MosesRockefellerwants to get his kid to become a gamer :)

1 hour ago, Miles_Warren said:

I'm calling it now...Nintendo Labo is the next big thing. I think this might be one of the reasons Nintendo expect to ship 20 million Switch consoles this year (the other been the release of either Metroid or Pokemon). 

I agree that Labo will be popular for a certain audience, but will it actually be huge?

Might be, I don't know. Doesn't feel like it will be huge though.

So, can anybody tell me how much of a story Hyrule Warriors has?

I dismissed it as being just a basic game where you're put on a map with other opponents, like the whole game just being a horde mode, but I did a bit of digging and watched a bit of gameplay and it seems like there is at least a bit of freeroaming going on with a story that isn't finished in an hour or two, like with the Smash games.

In other news, this weekend I played a few hours of Pic-a-Pix and an hour or so of Yooka-Laylee. The rest of my gaming time was spent on playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and I Expect You To Die on PS4.

4 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

So, can anybody tell me how much of a story Hyrule Warriors has?

I dismissed it as being just a basic game where you're put on a map with other opponents, like the whole game just being a horde mode, but I did a bit of digging and watched a bit of gameplay and it seems like there is at least a bit of freeroaming going on with a story that isn't finished in an hour or two, like with the Smash games.

There are several modes in Hyrule Warrios. It's not a perfect game without flaws, but lack of content is not one of them. The two most substantial modes are Legend Mode (story campaign) and Adventure Mode. Adventure Mode is a homage to Zelda 1, with a top down map that consists of various "map squares". I haven't really tried that mode so I can't elaborate. But I did play 4 missions of Legend Mode in the Wii U version that I used to own.

Legend Mode has quite a few cutscenes, as well as narration before each mission (and maybe afterwards, I forget). Legend Mode has 18 missions, and apparently the 3DS version added two additional missions (the Switch version is basically a better version of the Wii U version, with all the 3DS additions included). The only Smash game I played much of was the Wii version that had the story campaign with Snake from Metal Gear Solid. Based on what I saw from the beginning of Legend Mode in Hyrule Warriors, the story is more substantial here.

As far as freeroaming goes, within each mission you are given several objectives. As long as you don't fail any critical objectives, you can explore the map and do other things. This should be better in the Switch version because you can apparently switch to the other "captains" on the map in the 3DS/Switch version. In the Wii U version, you had to run around everywhere as your selected character. In most missions you have 2 or 3 captains, so you could theoretically jump to one of them halfway across the map and tackle objectives and exploration more efficiently. The maps are fairly large but the game is not open-world in any sense.

Once you beat a mission in Legend Mode, you can replay it in free play. This is necessary if you want to unlock certain weapons and upgrades that are character-specific. I think that's just for completionists though... I don't think you ever have to replay missions or grind in order to finish the story.

The gameplay is heavy on the button-mashing like others in the Warriors series, but the appealing thing about Hyrule Warriors is how well it uses the license. It's definitely a Zelda spin-off and not mainline game, but it's a neat game in its own right. I'm not a fan of the Warriors series but HW was interesting enough to make it fun for me. I already traded in my Wii U copy and pre-ordered the Switch version. There is so much extra content packed in the Switch version, on top of an already cool base game, that it's a no-brainer for me. However, you may want to watch some more gameplay before you make a decision.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

There are several modes in Hyrule Warrios. It's not a perfect game without flaws, but lack of content is not one of them. The two most substantial modes are Legend Mode (story campaign) and Adventure Mode. Adventure Mode is a homage to Zelda 1, with a top down map that consists of various "map squares". I haven't really tried that mode so I can't elaborate. But I did play 4 missions of Legend Mode in the Wii U version that I used to own.

Legend Mode has quite a few cutscenes, as well as narration before each mission (and maybe afterwards, I forget). Legend Mode has 18 missions, and apparently the 3DS version added two additional missions (the Switch version is basically a better version of the Wii U version, with all the 3DS additions included). The only Smash game I played much of was the Wii version that had the story campaign with Snake from Metal Gear Solid. Based on what I saw from the beginning of Legend Mode in Hyrule Warriors, the story is more substantial here.

As far as freeroaming goes, within each mission you are given several objectives. As long as you don't fail any critical objectives, you can explore the map and do other things. This should be better in the Switch version because you can apparently switch to the other "captains" on the map in the 3DS/Switch version. In the Wii U version, you had to run around everywhere as your selected character. In most missions you have 2 or 3 captains, so you could theoretically jump to one of them halfway across the map and tackle objectives and exploration more efficiently. The maps are fairly large but the game is not open-world in any sense.

Once you beat a mission in Legend Mode, you can replay it in free play. This is necessary if you want to unlock certain weapons and upgrades that are character-specific. I think that's just for completionists though... I don't think you ever have to replay missions or grind in order to finish the story.

The gameplay is heavy on the button-mashing like others in the Warriors series, but the appealing thing about Hyrule Warriors is how well it uses the license. It's definitely a Zelda spin-off and not mainline game, but it's a neat game in its own right. I'm not a fan of the Warriors series but HW was interesting enough to make it fun for me. I already traded in my Wii U copy and pre-ordered the Switch version. There is so much extra content packed in the Switch version, on top of an already cool base game, that it's a no-brainer for me. However, you may want to watch some more gameplay before you make a decision.

Thanks for that.

With what I know at this point, I'll get the game a few years from now on the cheap. Enough other games I want and I want to get rid of my backlog as well.

10 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

Thanks for that.

With what I know at this point, I'll get the game a few years from now on the cheap. Enough other games I want and I want to get rid of my backlog as well.

You can probably get it for "Nintendo Cheap", but not necessarily "Cheap Cheap". :)

Anyway, I spent this past weekend playing a bunch of the demos I had downloaded but not tried yet.

Pic-A-Pic Deluxe - It's a decent game but felt lacking compared to Picross S. I may get it eventually but I think I'd rather wait for a Picross S follow-up.

Embers of Mirrim - This is a fun platformer but its unique "splitting" element got a little boring for me in the demo. I'm not sure I want to play a full game if it does not keep the gameplay fresh. One reason I like Metroidvanias (which this is not), is that the gameplay keeps introducing new elements to keep it from getting boring. Also, this demo (and I assume full game) uses "B" as the "Okay" button in the menus instead of "A". That aligns with "X" on Playstation, so it makes sense somewhat, but it is still really weird.

Lost Sphear - okay, let me just say the name is dumb. If you're going to use a word that looks like "sphere", spell it right, or use a name that is obviously made up, like "Mirrirm". Anyway, the game seems pretty slow-paced. I think it's influenced by Final Fantasy VI, but it didn't really do it for me.

Robonauts - This was a fun little game. I may get it when it's on sale if I'm low on new things to play.

Dragon Quest Builders - I won't be buying this game again. I have it on Vita and if I play more of it, it will be there. I did want to see how it performs on Switch though, and the controls and performance are good. I am considering the second game, so it's good to know that it should perform well.

Just as a small note, I think it's awesome that both smaller indies and bigger companies like Square Enix are making demos. Sometimes they sell me on a game, and sometimes they help me save my money, but I'm glad that they are available. I hope we'll get them more frequently in the future.

13 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

You can probably get it for "Nintendo Cheap", but not necessarily "Cheap Cheap". :)

*Gasp* it's STILL €45 new for Wii U, €30 used... 3DS prices are better, €20 new and €15 used. Dang.

I'm accustomed to Zelda games going down in price nicely. On Wii U, the HD Zeldas are now only €25 new, even Breath Of The Wild is only €30 new already.

There's something logical about Nintendo games staying high in price though. I mean, people keep buying it, contrast PS4 exclusives like God Of War III which has been under €10 already a few times online and used stores have enough second-hand copies lying around. Why go down in price if it keeps selling? It also means more people will buy the game right away because they know it will take ages for it to drop in price anyway. It's my conundrum for Kirby: I could wait and hope for a sale, or I could just not bother with waiting and get it day one. 

Talking about price: once Bomberman R is €15 or so, I'll definitely buy it, but it hasn't been on sale a lot yet. I've heard there have been many updates since launch so clearly the devs care about the game. It's just that for me, I'd only get it for story mode, so I'd be wasting my money now as story mode is only about three hours long.

13 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Anyway, I spent this past weekend playing a bunch of the demos I had downloaded but not tried yet.

Pic-A-Pic Deluxe - It's a decent game but felt lacking compared to Picross S. I may get it eventually but I think I'd rather wait for a Picross S follow-up.

Embers of Mirrim - This is a fun platformer but its unique "splitting" element got a little boring for me in the demo. I'm not sure I want to play a full game if it does not keep the gameplay fresh. One reason I like Metroidvanias (which this is not), is that the gameplay keeps introducing new elements to keep it from getting boring. Also, this demo (and I assume full game) uses "B" as the "Okay" button in the menus instead of "A". That aligns with "X" on Playstation, so it makes sense somewhat, but it is still really weird.

Lost Sphear - okay, let me just say the name is dumb. If you're going to use a word that looks like "sphere", spell it right, or use a name that is obviously made up, like "Mirrirm". Anyway, the game seems pretty slow-paced. I think it's influenced by Final Fantasy VI, but it didn't really do it for me.

Robonauts - This was a fun little game. I may get it when it's on sale if I'm low on new things to play.

Dragon Quest Builders - I won't be buying this game again. I have it on Vita and if I play more of it, it will be there. I did want to see how it performs on Switch though, and the controls and performance are good. I am considering the second game, so it's good to know that it should perform well.

Just as a small note, I think it's awesome that both smaller indies and bigger companies like Square Enix are making demos. Sometimes they sell me on a game, and sometimes they help me save my money, but I'm glad that they are available. I hope we'll get them more frequently in the future.

Funny, I actually thought the images from Pic-a-Pix were more fun, and thanks to the bigger sizes I am enjoying myself more. First half of Picross S was autopilot for me.

Robonauts: bought it before a demo was available, didn't enjoy it a lot yet but that may be because it's just not my type of game.

Also, really excited to get into Tropical Freeze. I guess with new Kirby and Yoshi games coming that neither Rainbow Curse nor Woolly World will get ported. And with Tropical Freeze confirmed, I think the only other "I'd play that if I had a Wii U" title left is 3D World, which might get a successor rather than a port. I wasn't that into the idea of 3D World but I got 3D Land for free, played it and liked it. Also of course, I'd play the Zelda games on the Wii U (I missed Skyward Sword and I like the idea of HD Wind Waker / Twilight Princess), but who are we kidding, the Zelda games will all come to the Switch eventually.

Also, lazy Labo trolling is lazy. Because let's forget that we're not the target audience, that cardboard (or rather, corrugated fiberboard) is better for the environment than plastic and that cardboard/fiberboard toys already exist, and good quality ones are costly at that.

*Gasp* it's STILL €45 new for Wii U, €30 used... 3DS prices are better, €20 new and €15 used. Dang.

I'm accustomed to Zelda games going down in price nicely. On Wii U, the HD Zeldas are now only €25 new, even Breath Of The Wild is only €30 new already.

There's something logical about Nintendo games staying high in price though. I mean, people keep buying it, contrast PS4 exclusives like God Of War III which has been under €10 already a few times online and used stores have enough second-hand copies lying around. Why go down in price if it keeps selling? It also means more people will buy the game right away because they know it will take ages for it to drop in price anyway. It's my conundrum for Kirby: I could wait and hope for a sale, or I could just not bother with waiting and get it day one. 

Talking about price: once Bomberman R is €15 or so, I'll definitely buy it, but it hasn't been on sale a lot yet. I've heard there have been many updates since launch so clearly the devs care about the game. It's just that for me, I'd only get it for story mode, so I'd be wasting my money now as story mode is only about three hours long.

I don't really have a problem with Nintendo games keeping their relative price. I was merely pointing out that Hyrule Warriors Switch may not drop much. Switch may eventually get a Selects line for $20, but if history repeats, that will be first party stuff like SMO, BotW, and maybe Yoshi and Kirby.

I think the Super Bomberman R story mode length depends on your skill level. 3 hours for reviewers may not be 3 hours for crappy Bomberman players like me. I was able to get it for $25 but I haven't played that much yet.

Funny, I actually thought the images from Pic-a-Pix were more fun, and thanks to the bigger sizes I am enjoying myself more. First half of Picross S was autopilot for me.

I think the skill level is a major factor there. Picross S was my first nonogram game, and I am still nowhere near "good" at that type of game. So for me it's perfect. I didn't like the way Pic-a-Pix uses multiple colors, which adds more uncertainty to the simple "is this box on or off" of Picross. I think puzzle games are better when they keep it simple. But keep in mind that I'm an amateur puzzle gamer, not skilled or masterful by any stretch.

Also, really excited to get into Tropical Freeze. I guess with new Kirby and Yoshi games coming that neither Rainbow Curse nor Woolly World will get ported. And with Tropical Freeze confirmed, I think the only other "I'd play that if I had a Wii U" title left is 3D World, which might get a successor rather than a port. I wasn't that into the idea of 3D World but I got 3D Land for free, played it and liked it. Also of course, I'd play the Zelda games on the Wii U (I missed Skyward Sword and I like the idea of HD Wind Waker / Twilight Princess), but who are we kidding, the Zelda games will all come to the Switch eventually.

After playing a few levels of Tropical Freeze recently, I think it may be overrated. It's certainly a very competent game, and more "joyful" than the New Super Mario Bros series, but I think calling it "the best 2D platformer in a decade" is way overstating things. Maybe the series just isn't for me though. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but for me it doesn't come across as a "classic". Hopefully you will enjoy it more.

Also, lazy Labo trolling is lazy. Because let's forget that we're not the target audience, that cardboard (or rather, corrugated fiberboard) is better for the environment than plastic and that cardboard/fiberboard toys already exist, and good quality ones are costly at that.

I've seen some comments pointing out how much parents pay for silly (albeit usually plastic) toys every birthday and Christmas that usually get forgotten or trashed after a few weeks, and how that makes Labo look like a lot better value. I think people who aren't parents can miss that perspective.

After a couple of weeks of looking I finally found a website that sells eShop cards and that sends the code digitally, which is a must for me as I won't always be able to get to the shops that have them and the shops that are around me don't have them even though they should. The website is CDKeys if anyone's wondering :)

So I've just brought my first eShop card! I got a £15 and have brought and downloaded Oxenfree, because at that price, you'd be silly not to buy it! I'm looking forward to starting it later but I'm really relived that I've found somewhere where I can actually get the cards, so now I can look forward to building up a great game collection for my Switch and maybe even some DLC! 

I've got £11.01 left so I think I'm going to get Stardew Valley with that, but I might wait and see if it comes down in price a little so then I can make the most of my £15 card. Probably won't wait though as I'm no good at leaving any sort of money on any console from a card haha! :D 

9 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I don't really have a problem with Nintendo games keeping their relative price. I was merely pointing out that Hyrule Warriors Switch may not drop much. Switch may eventually get a Selects line for $20, but if history repeats, that will be first party stuff like SMO, BotW, and maybe Yoshi and Kirby.

While it's good for making me buy Nintendo titles right away, I don't think Hyrule Warriors is worth more than €25 for me.

I think the Super Bomberman R story mode length depends on your skill level. 3 hours for reviewers may not be 3 hours for crappy Bomberman players like me. I was able to get it for $25 but I haven't played that much yet.

Howlongtobeat users put it at four hours, which is what I based my three hours on for myself. Reviewers said two hours, I think.

I think the skill level is a major factor there. Picross S was my first nonogram game, and I am still nowhere near "good" at that type of game. So for me it's perfect. I didn't like the way Pic-a-Pix uses multiple colors, which adds more uncertainty to the simple "is this box on or off" of Picross. I think puzzle games are better when they keep it simple. But keep in mind that I'm an amateur puzzle gamer, not skilled or masterful by any stretch.

Once you get into the colour puzzles though, they can be simpler than the black and white ones because one or two colours often keep to a small part of the screen.

Also, half the base game puzzles are black and white, and there's already two black and white DLC packs available (one with all of the puzzles from the 3DS title).

After playing a few levels of Tropical Freeze recently, I think it may be overrated. It's certainly a very competent game, and more "joyful" than the New Super Mario Bros series, but I think calling it "the best 2D platformer in a decade" is way overstating things. Maybe the series just isn't for me though. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but for me it doesn't come across as a "classic". Hopefully you will enjoy it more.

What I mostly heard people say was how DKCR1 pandered a bit too much to the original trilogy, Tropical Freeze tried doing things a bit more originally. And it had better villains (got to admit, I found those Tikis or however they were called pretty dull).

All in all, I'm relatively certain that I'll very much enjoy playing Tropical Freeze, even if it probably won't be the best platformer of the decade for me.

I've seen some comments pointing out how much parents pay for silly (albeit usually plastic) toys every birthday and Christmas that usually get forgotten or trashed after a few weeks, and how that makes Labo look like a lot better value. I think people who aren't parents can miss that perspective.

I think Labo looks cool, especially once they get to those "pick it apart and see how it works" levels seen in the teaser. Great idea to get for kids if parents want the videogames to be a bit more educational,and I have to say that even though on the whole Labo is not for me, I'm very intrigued by how that piano can work.

3 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

After a couple of weeks of looking I finally found a website that sells eShop cards and that sends the code digitally, which is a must for me as I won't always be able to get to the shops that have them and the shops that are around me don't have them even though they should. The website is CDKeys if anyone's wondering :)

So I've just brought my first eShop card! I got a £15 and have brought and downloaded Oxenfree, because at that price, you'd be silly not to buy it! I'm looking forward to starting it later but I'm really relived that I've found somewhere where I can actually get the cards, so now I can look forward to building up a great game collection for my Switch and maybe even some DLC! 

I've got £11.01 left so I think I'm going to get Stardew Valley with that, but I might wait and see if it comes down in price a little so then I can make the most of my £15 card. Probably won't wait though as I'm no good at leaving any sort of money on any console from a card haha! :D 

You don't have a creditcard then? Seems like the quicker route if you don't want to go to a physical store for eShop currency.

Let me know what you think of Oxenfree, only reason I haven't bought it yet is because my backlog is still big enough.

Also, Stardew Valley deserves to be bought at full price, in my opinion. I finishedthe first two years (in which I completed the "story"), close to 70 hours of playtime and it doesn't even cost that much.

48 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

Howlongtobeat users put it at four hours, which is what I based my three hours on for myself. Reviewers said two hours, I think.

Hmm. That could be correct. Super Bomberman R is certainly a more straightforward game to complete than RPGs for example. I've found that I spend so much longer on RPGs than the "average" time that I mostly stopped paying attention to gameplay length estimates. I'll see a trophy guide here for a RPG, and then I take longer than the "Platinum time" to finish the main story, let alone get the Platinum. I dunno, maybe I'm just slow.

50 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

What I mostly heard people say was how DKCR1 pandered a bit too much to the original trilogy, Tropical Freeze tried doing things a bit more originally. And it had better villains (got to admit, I found those Tikis or however they were called pretty dull).

All in all, I'm relatively certain that I'll very much enjoy playing Tropical Freeze, even if it probably won't be the best platformer of the decade for me.

That sounds more realistic. It's been a while since I played DKCR (I loaned the 3DS version to my younger brother and I don't have the Wii version), but I guess most of the villains were variations on the same. I only fought one boss in Tropical Freeze so far, and it was a polar bear... so at least it's different.

I guess my dismissal of the praise for the game was mostly a knee-jerk reaction to gushing praise that is baffling to me. Playing it now doesn't make me think "whoa, this is so much better than Shovel Knight". It's good but not "the best thing ever". I don't know why everything has to be so big on hyperbole these days. Clickbait articles have probably chipped away at my sanity and judgment over the years.

47 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

Anybody heard about the Xenosaga HD Remaster coming to Switch now? (Trilogy) 

I saw a rumor a while back but I've seen nothing since then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simple Rick said:

You don't have a creditcard then? Seems like the quicker route if you don't want to go to a physical store for eShop currency.

Let me know what you think of Oxenfree, only reason I haven't bought it yet is because my backlog is still big enough.

Also, Stardew Valley deserves to be bought at full price, in my opinion. I finishedthe first two years (in which I completed the "story"), close to 70 hours of playtime and it doesn't even cost that much.

I do have a credit card but I very against putting any sort of debit/credit card into any sort of console as I have so many friends that have been stung when it comes to hacking and such. 

Will do! I think I'm starting it either tonight or tomorrow so I'll keep you posted. :) 

You do know I'll probably end up buying it anyway as I'm so bad at trying to save/wait to spend any virtual currency on my consoles. It's like something in my head is just screaming to me 'SPEND IT NOW!', if you get what I mean haha!

39 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

I do have a credit card but I very against putting any sort of debit/credit card into any sort of console as I have so many friends that have been stung when it comes to hacking and such.

Don't your friends have fraud protection from the credit card bank though? I had a credit card number get stolen at one point, and my bank called me and I verified the fraudulent charges. They sent me a new card and that was the end of it. I dunno, that seems safer than dealing with a possibly shady reseller. From what I can tell, CDKeys is fine but there are definitely resellers that use underhanded business practices (like buying keys from a cheaper region and selling them to Europe and North America).

Also, here in the USA there is a third option. I can buy digital codes from Amazon, which I know is legitimate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Don't your friends have fraud protection from the credit card bank though? I had a credit card number get stolen at one point, and my bank called me and I verified the fraudulent charges. They sent me a new card and that was the end of it. I dunno, that seems safer than dealing with a possibly shady reseller. From what I can tell, CDKeys is fine but there are definitely resellers that use underhanded business practices (like buying keys from a cheaper region and selling them to Europe and North America).

Also, here in the USA there is a third option. I can buy digital codes from Amazon, which I know is legitimate.

I don't really know what they have as it happened to them and they haven't done it since. After having a scout on the web and on TrustPilot (plus their website has that green lock at the top of the web bar), CDKeys have some really great reviews and everyone says there quite safe to use and when buying codes, it comes from them directly not from any sellers so that makes that better. 

Unfortunately, over here Amazon doesn't sell Nintendo eShop cards for some stupid reason as I would have gotten mine from there. Pretty much the only way you can get them in the UK is by going to one of the shops that are 'supposed' to sell them. I have a couple of shops near me that are supposed to have them but they don't for some other stupid reason.

15 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

I don't really know what they have as it happened to them and they haven't done it since. After having a scout on the web and on TrustPilot (plus their website has that green lock at the top of the web bar), CDKeys have some really great reviews and everyone says there quite safe to use and when buying codes, it comes from them directly not from any sellers so that makes that better. 

Unfortunately, over here Amazon doesn't sell Nintendo eShop cards for some stupid reason as I would have gotten mine from there. Pretty much the only way you can get them in the UK is by going to one of the shops that are 'supposed' to sell them. I have a couple of shops near me that are supposed to have them but they don't for some other stupid reason.

That's a bummer. If there is one thing you count on with USA stores, it's that they have big gift card sections. Normally they won't carry competitor gift cards, but the other day I saw Amazon cards in Gamestop, which took me by surprise. I can trade in video games at Gamestop, then take the trade value and buy an Amazon gift card with it, and use that gift card to buy a new game. I'm surprised Gamestop corporate hasn't caught on to that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That's a bummer. If there is one thing you count on with USA stores, it's that they have big gift card sections. Normally they won't carry competitor gift cards, but the other day I saw Amazon cards in Gamestop, which took me by surprise. I can trade in video games at Gamestop, then take the trade value and buy an Amazon gift card with it, and use that gift card to buy a new game. I'm surprised Gamestop corporate hasn't caught on to that.

Total bummer. I have a Morrisons superstore (it's a supermarket) just down the road from where I live and they have like 40 gift cards for like every place/website you could imagine but no eShop cards :facepalm:. It's literally ridiculous! 

Blimey, you'd think GameStop would have caught onto that by now :facepalm:.

7 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Hmm. That could be correct. Super Bomberman R is certainly a more straightforward game to complete than RPGs for example. I've found that I spend so much longer on RPGs than the "average" time that I mostly stopped paying attention to gameplay length estimates. I'll see a trophy guide here for a RPG, and then I take longer than the "Platinum time" to finish the main story, let alone get the Platinum. I dunno, maybe I'm just slow.

Nah, it's definitely the same for me on exploration based games. I usually add ten to twenty percent playtime for those. That's how I know that Super Mario Odyssey is still a platformer at heart - I managed to get through the story two hours faster than the howlongtobeat average ;) while STILL having gone through story one and story two for all locations, might I add.

7 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That sounds more realistic. It's been a while since I played DKCR (I loaned the 3DS version to my younger brother and I don't have the Wii version), but I guess most of the villains were variations on the same. I only fought one boss in Tropical Freeze so far, and it was a polar bear... so at least it's different.

I guess my dismissal of the praise for the game was mostly a knee-jerk reaction to gushing praise that is baffling to me. Playing it now doesn't make me think "whoa, this is so much better than Shovel Knight". It's good but not "the best thing ever". I don't know why everything has to be so big on hyperbole these days. Clickbait articles have probably chipped away at my sanity and judgment over the years.

Sounds like how I get annoyed when anyone claims that everything Naughty Dog does is amazing. They're great at presentation but there's little originality in any of their games.

It was a fan I heard claim that Tropical Freeze was the best platformer of the last decade, by the way, not a reviewer. Don't know which platformer I'd call the best but Shovel Knight is certainly awesome and I'm glad it has had such an impact on you.

Clickbait articles are the worst, and they're only getting worse now that a larger and larger percentage of online journalists are millennials - I don't think any of them have ever heard of objective writing, and many clickbait titles seem to revolve around assuming an extreme mood for a whole group of people like "Democrats disgusted by X" or "PlayStation fans are anxious to find out next month's PS+ games" or "Here's what Nintendo fans want the most from the Switch" and all of those articles that speak about a group where I belong to have me going "I don't feel like that AT ALL".

6 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Or you could just not save your card info on your console?

Will do! I think I'm starting it either tonight or tomorrow so I'll keep you posted. :) 

Should be soon enough for me not to have bought it yet - maybe.

You do know I'll probably end up buying it anyway as I'm so bad at trying to save/wait to spend any virtual currency on my consoles. It's like something in my head is just screaming to me 'SPEND IT NOW!', if you get what I mean haha!

Do it... Join ussssss...

Seriously, there's far worse things you can do with £11 than buying Stardew Valley. If even I think it's a great game... I usually NEVER get this much time out of a single building sim game.

Dang it, and ChromaGun is out now too! Luckily, at €20 for under four hours of playtime it's a bit easier to resist for me than I initially thought.

Ooooh, but there is another incoming title... Super One More Jump, a "one button arcade platformer"... Coming soon for just €6, published by the small studio that developed Death Squared.

Edited by Simple Rick

Awesome news: Atari is trying to crowdfund Rollercoaster Tycoon for the Switch through StartEngine, and their goal has been met.

Good times.

Unfortunately only Americans can fund the project, would have liked to join. Then again this is not just like Kickstarter where tou pay a bit and get the game, you have to fund $250 here and you get part of the profit.

Reading the page, it seems like the Switch will literally get the classic first title, and if it's a success (as expected) they're going to make a completely new entry.

https://www.startengine.com/atari-game-partners

Edited by Simple Rick

46 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

Awesome news: Atari is trying to crowdfund Rollercoaster Tycoon for the Switch through StartEngine, and their goal has been met.

Good times.

Unfortunately only Americans can fund the project, would have liked to join. Then again this is not just like Kickstarter where tou pay a bit and get the game, you have to fund $250 here and you get part of the profit.

Reading the page, it seems like the Switch will literally get the classic first title, and if it's a success (as expected) they're going to make a completely new entry.

https://www.startengine.com/atari-game-partners

That's a really cool idea, dumping down money to support something, and then having your money come back with a nice bit extra if it sells well.

I mean, it's depressing that Atari has fallen so low that it needs to do this for a game, and it's new console thing seems to be going the same way.

Game doesn't interest me at all, never has, but I wish it well.