Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

15 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

Nah, it's definitely the same for me on exploration based games. I usually add ten to twenty percent playtime for those. That's how I know that Super Mario Odyssey is still a platformer at heart - I managed to get through the story two hours faster than the howlongtobeat average ;) while STILL having gone through story one and story two for all locations, might I add.

One thing I wish that site would do (unless it does and I missed it) is define the categories. Like for SMO, what does Story + Extras mean? It adds 10 hours to the story, so it can't mean just the new areas. But if it means the extra cube power moons, then how does that differ from Completionist?

Also, I don't know what you mean by story one and story two.

Anyway, back to the point, for RPGs I feel like I need to double the time. It's way off from when I play.

It was a fan I heard claim that Tropical Freeze was the best platformer of the last decade, by the way, not a reviewer. Don't know which platformer I'd call the best but Shovel Knight is certainly awesome and I'm glad it has had such an impact on you.

I didn't mean to say Shovel Knight is one of the best platformers. I probably wouldn't include it in that list. I mentioned it because it was a recent game that was a retro/back-to-basics 2D platformer. Tropical Freeze sort of has retro gameplay, just not retro graphics.

My best platformer of the last decade would be tough to choose. Maybe Guacamelee. I love that game so much I beat it twice with 100% completion. And I'd probably do it again if it comes to the Switch. My all-time favorite platformer is Super Mario World though.

Clickbait articles are the worst, and they're only getting worse now that a larger and larger percentage of online journalists are millennials - I don't think any of them have ever heard of objective writing, and many clickbait titles seem to revolve around assuming an extreme mood for a whole group of people like "Democrats disgusted by X" or "PlayStation fans are anxious to find out next month's PS+ games" or "Here's what Nintendo fans want the most from the Switch" and all of those articles that speak about a group where I belong to have me going "I don't feel like that AT ALL".

Yeah. I hate to just be the typical older generation who just bashes Millennials, but there does seem to be a correlation with their general sense of self and the way they write online articles. Everything is the best or the worst, there is no "pretty good" (unless it's used ironically). The Google feed (or whatever it's called) that pops up in Android when I open a new tab in Chrome, is where I see a lot of articles, and they're mostly io9, Kotaku, AV Club, and a few others. And they all are written similarly. Like you said, not everything is extremes. It can be entertaining to read someone rant, but I'm more interested in more objective reviews and news.

Ironically, at the age of 37 I'm at the fringe of the broader definitions of Millennials (I don't think these generation definitions make sense when they're so wide though). However I share very little in common with the typical Millennial traits, but the same is true of Gen X. I sort of agree with the dumb term I've seen of "Xennial" where it's in between Gen X and Y/Millennial.

Dang it, and ChromaGun is out now too! Luckily, at €20 for under four hours of playtime it's a bit easier to resist for me than I initially thought.

ChromaGun is definitely on my radar and got added to my wishlist a while back. I'll grab it on a sale though, like you said the price is a bit high. But man... I wish we could get a Portal 3 already. It will never happen, but I can dream.

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

That's a really cool idea, dumping down money to support something, and then having your money come back with a nice bit extra if it sells well.

I mean, it's depressing that Atari has fallen so low that it needs to do this for a game, and it's new console thing seems to be going the same way.

Game doesn't interest me at all, never has, but I wish it well.

Yeah, I feel largely the same way. I may check out the game though, it somewhat interests me.

That said, I'm not part of the "high roller" crowd that plops down big bucks for Star Citizen DLC ships, so I'm not spending $250 on a game. That's nuts. I'm not really a crowdfunding fan though, in general. I have nothing against it for the most part (although I think people need to be more careful with what they fund), but I've only ever funded one game. It was the latest Shantae game that was pretty much guaranteed to come out (it was an established series), and for my $20 I go the game and all future DLC.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

One thing I wish that site would do (unless it does and I missed it) is define the categories. Like for SMO, what does Story + Extras mean? It adds 10 hours to the story, so it can't mean just the new areas. But if it means the extra cube power moons, then how does that differ from Completionist?

Yeah, I have no clue. I just use the site to check story completion times.

Each location has one "big" story, two tops. Like Metro Kingdom: story one ends with the tank battle against the centipede, story two ends with the festival.

I didn't mean to say Shovel Knight is one of the best platformers. I probably wouldn't include it in that list. I mentioned it because it was a recent game that was a retro/back-to-basics 2D platformer. Tropical Freeze sort of has retro gameplay, just not retro graphics.

My best platformer of the last decade would be tough to choose. Maybe Guacamelee. I love that game so much I beat it twice with 100% completion. And I'd probably do it again if it comes to the Switch. My all-time favorite platformer is Super Mario World though.

My point was not that Shovel Knight was THAT great for you, but that even though at first you gave up on it, you enjoyed your second try enough to claim Tropical Freeze wasn't as good.

I really love Super Mario World but to me it's where the Mario franchise started to drop in difficulty.

Yeah. I hate to just be the typical older generation who just bashes Millennials, but there does seem to be a correlation with their general sense of self and the way they write online articles. Everything is the best or the worst, there is no "pretty good" (unless it's used ironically). The Google feed (or whatever it's called) that pops up in Android when I open a new tab in Chrome, is where I see a lot of articles, and they're mostly io9, Kotaku, AV Club, and a few others. And they all are written similarly. Like you said, not everything is extremes. It can be entertaining to read someone rant, but I'm more interested in more objective reviews and news.

Yeah I skim through that Google feed thingy on my Android as well. I've lost count on how many opinions on Aziz Ansari I've read these past two weeks but all are on either end of the scale and only few match together.

Ironically, at the age of 37 I'm at the fringe of the broader definitions of Millennials (I don't think these generation definitions make sense when they're so wide though). However I share very little in common with the typical Millennial traits, but the same is true of Gen X. I sort of agree with the dumb term I've seen of "Xennial" where it's in between Gen X and Y/Millennial.

Well, you're in luck; many people think there should be an 'in-between' generation for us. It's also often called "Oregon Trail" generation, which is a stupid name because that DOS game is not widely known even ong that generation. Point of the matter is: we're young enough that all technical advances are second nature to us, but we're old enough to appreciate that fact. We had mobile phones during our (late) teens but they weren't smartphones yet, and we also remember DOS.

ChromaGun is definitely on my radar and got added to my wishlist a while back. I'll grab it on a sale though, like you said the price is a bit high. But man... I wish we could get a Portal 3 already. It will never happen, but I can dream.

Portal 2 is probably my favourite last-gen game.

I'll probably pick up ChromaGun once it's 50% off and if by then my backlog is small enough.

Yeah, I feel largely the same way. I may check out the game though, it somewhat interests me.

That said, I'm not part of the "high roller" crowd that plops down big bucks for Star Citizen DLC ships, so I'm not spending $250 on a game. That's nuts. I'm not really a crowdfunding fan though, in general. I have nothing against it for the most part (although I think people need to be more careful with what they fund), but I've only ever funded one game. It was the latest Shantae game that was pretty much guaranteed to come out (it was an established series), and for my $20 I go the game and all future DLC.

Actually that $250 doesn't even net you a copy of the game, it's purely a monetary investment. From $1500 and upwards you get a free copy.

I backed three projects on Kickstarter, none were videogames though.

Edited by Simple Rick

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Anyway, back to the point, for RPGs I feel like I need to double the time. It's way off from when I play.

I think "Story + Extras" means that you've done side quests or other activities in the game aside from just going straight for story completion. If you look at the form where you submit your own times, there's the following options to fill in:

• Main Story Only, Optional Content Ignored 
  • Main Story + Extra Quests/Unlockables 
  • 100% Complete, All Optional Content 

I may have deciphered it wrong though.

I'm one of those people who advance in games at snail speed. I've noticed I have nearly double the play time in some games compared to "leisure" times at HowLongToBeat. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so obsessed in finding everything there is in games so I'd finally manage to reduce my backlog. :blush:

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

I think "Story + Extras" means that you've done side quests or other activities in the game aside from just going straight for story completion. If you look at the form where you submit your own times, there's the following options to fill in:

• Main Story Only, Optional Content Ignored 
  • Main Story + Extra Quests/Unlockables 
  • 100% Complete, All Optional Content 

I may have deciphered it wrong though.

I'm one of those people who advance in games at snail speed. I've noticed I have nearly double the play time in some games compared to "leisure" times at HowLongToBeat. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so obsessed in finding everything there is in games so I'd finally manage to reduce my backlog. :blush:

I understand the basic categories to an extent, but I think they need to be defined for each game. SMO has tons of collectibles, which are either purple coins or power moons. Some power moons are needed to complete the main story, but purple coins are not needed for anything except costumes and decorations. But costumes and decorations are "Unlockables". So for this game, are ALL purple coins under the 100% complete category? Or do some of them count towards the Main Story + Extra category?

That's just a small example, there are plenty of others.

2 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

Each location has one "big" story, two tops. Like Metro Kingdom: story one ends with the tank battle against the centipede, story two ends with the festival.

Ah, good point. I actually encountered that after beating the game, because I discovered that I had left one or two Kingdoms without doing the boss battle, which I guess is "Story 2".

My point was not that Shovel Knight was THAT great for you, but that even though at first you gave up on it, you enjoyed your second try enough to claim Tropical Freeze wasn't as good.

I really love Super Mario World but to me it's where the Mario franchise started to drop in difficulty.

Yeah, I think more digging on my part (pun intended) would have shown me that the game was not designed like Super Meat Boy as a difficult game, but that I just wasn't giving it enough time to learn.

You may be right, but I think most of the games have a fair share of difficult levels. I know I've run into a few in Super Mario Galaxy. Actually I might be hasty in saying SMW is my favorite. It's way up there but it's difficult to choose.

Well, you're in luck; many people think there should be an 'in-between' generation for us. It's also often called "Oregon Trail" generation, which is a stupid name because that DOS game is not widely known even ong that generation. Point of the matter is: we're young enough that all technical advances are second nature to us, but we're old enough to appreciate that fact. We had mobile phones during our (late) teens but they weren't smartphones yet, and we also remember DOS.

That seems to apply. I would point out though that not all technical advances are second nature. I don't understand some tech fads, like the ease at which the younger generation gives up their privacy to random people online. I also didn't have a mobile phone until I was out of college, and I don't remember most of my fellow students having them either. But I certainly remember DOS. :)

That was my point about the generalizing that goes on with generational definitions. Even within a generation, there can be vast differences between someone born in 1980 and someone born in 1985. My younger brother born in 1985 has embraced technology more than I have (and I work in IT!), and my sister born in 1989 is closer to a Millennial. It's too inaccurate to lump more than say 5 years together IMO.

Heads up: Bulb Boy is on sale. I recommend it for anyone into stuff that's about exactly as weird as Courage The Cowardly Dog. @MosesRockefeller it's a point and click game but it doesn't require insane assumptions and each room is a self-contained puzzle.

I see L.A. Noire is on sale again. Knowing Rockstar, I won't have to wait too long before it's €15 or so. For that money I'll buy it, even though I'm still pissed about the size.

I bought Oxenfree. Sorry @RizzleAbbey12, not waiting for your review :) decided that it got great reviews and I should just get it for this crazy price.

I also bought Super One More Jump. It's a platformer, it's cheap and I trust the publisher after Death Squared.

22 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I think more digging on my part (pun intended) would have shown me that the game was not designed like Super Meat Boy as a difficult game, but that I just wasn't giving it enough time to learn.

It's the downside of a big backlog. I know you love Guacamelee but I still haven't played it (have it from PS+ and I played the first few minutes during a dive).

You may be right, but I think most of the games have a fair share of difficult levels. I know I've run into a few in Super Mario Galaxy. Actually I might be hasty in saying SMW is my favorite. It's way up there but it's difficult to choose.

Before World, there was more overall difficulty though instead of a few spikes. I still love World and later main Mario games - except Sunshine. Fuck Sunshine.

That seems to apply. I would point out though that not all technical advances are second nature. I don't understand some tech fads, like the ease at which the younger generation gives up their privacy to random people online. I also didn't have a mobile phone until I was out of college, and I don't remember most of my fellow students having them either. But I certainly remember DOS. :)

That was my point about the generalizing that goes on with generational definitions. Even within a generation, there can be vast differences between someone born in 1980 and someone born in 1985. My younger brother born in 1985 has embraced technology more than I have (and I work in IT!), and my sister born in 1989 is closer to a Millennial. It's too inaccurate to lump more than say 5 years together IMO.

I meant that we understand it all, not that we use it all - like snapchat is clearly not something we do.

Yeah I have a younger brother from 1989 and he's basically a millennial.

19 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

Wtf the heck are "Millennial"?

:D

They're the generation born starting early nineties.

General opinion about them from non-millennials is that they have everything, much more possibilities than before yet they don't feel like doing anything. Many social media mishaps (they're the ones that had smartphone before hitting puberty). Because of all the new age parenting, it's the generation that has to be told they're special, that everyone's unique.

... At least, that's how it goes. The word "millennial" is rarely used in a positive way.

14 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

:D

They're the generation born starting early nineties.

General opinion about them from non-millennials is that they have everything, much more possibilities than before yet they don't feel like doing anything. Many social media mishaps (they're the ones that had smartphone before hitting puberty). Because of all the new age parenting, it's the generation that has to be told they're special, that everyone's unique.

... At least, that's how it goes. The word "millennial" is rarely used in a positive way.

Then I am not what is described lol.

I am born in the early nineties but do not do anything that was mentioned lol.

Didn't have a real phone till I was 19(paid it myself) and do not want to mention other stuff

What I mean buy real phone I was given a walkie talkie sprint phone from my uncle while I was in high school and after awhile in college I bought myself one with the refund check. 

Edited by Shiny Suicune

33 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

Then I am not what is described lol.

I am born in the early nineties but do not do anything that was mentioned lol.

Didn't have a real phone till I was 19(paid it myself) and do not want to mention other stuff

What I mean buy real phone I was given a walkie talkie sprint phone from my uncle while I was in high school and after awhile in college I bought myself one with the refund check. 

Yeah, it's a generalization. It's the new term for what used to be called Generation Y. I think there is SOME truth to these categories, but I doubt everybody born in the previous generation (X) is a fan of grunge music for example.

And hell, I've seen people who say Generation X ended in the mid 70's, and that's when Y/Millennials started. That is WAY too early for the definition IMO.

Also, was your first phone like this?

Spoiler

2.jpg

Just kidding, I used to use a Sprint walkie-talking phone at an old job. I know what you're talking about there. My first phone was a Verizon flip phone of some sort. LG I think. And yeah, I bought it myself.

1 hour ago, Simple Rick said:

Heads up: Bulb Boy is on sale. I recommend it for anyone into stuff that's about exactly as weird as Courage The Cowardly Dog. @MosesRockefeller it's a point and click game but it doesn't require insane assumptions and each room is a self-contained puzzle.

I'll have to check it out. It did pique my interest.

Before World, there was more overall difficulty though instead of a few spikes. I still love World and later main Mario games - except Sunshine. Fuck Sunshine.

Yeah, I tried so hard to get into Sunshine, but I've basically given up. I won't say it's a terrible game, but I find the controls too difficult to wrestle with. As I said before, I am not a fan of the Gamecube controller. If the Switch gets a Sunshine port that has more streamlined controls, I'll give it another shot.

I know what you mean about spikes though. It's been a while since I played SMB3 (I also find it hard to get into now), but as an example of the post-World difficulty spikes, the hardest thing I've tried in SMG so far is a level where you steer a ball on narrow platforms. I hate that shit even with analog controls, never mind motion controls. I gave up after falling off the FIRST platform 5 or so times.

I meant that we understand it all, not that we use it all - like snapchat is clearly not something we do.

Yeah I have a younger brother from 1989 and he's basically a millennial.

I still don't really agree with that premise. I don't understand a lot of current fads. Snapchat is certainly one of them. My understanding of that really isn't much better than my parents. But at least I have a smartphone. But hell, even there a friend told me I was typing text messages wrong since I don't do the "two thumbs" position (I do almost everything on my phone one-handed).

9 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, it's a generalization. It's the new term for what used to be called Generation Y. I think there is SOME truth to these categories, but I doubt everybody born in the previous generation (X) is a fan of grunge music for example.

And hell, I've seen people who say Generation X ended in the mid 70's, and that's when Y/Millennials started. That is WAY too early for the definition IMO.

Also, was your first phone like this?

Hide contents

2.jpg

Hahah Kurt Cobain is everything to me lol. I love the grunge era xD.

It was this phone model NEXTEL I860

can't paste a photo on mobile sadly.

25 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

Hahah Kurt Cobain is everything to me lol. I love the grunge era xD.

It was this phone model NEXTEL I860

can't paste a photo on mobile sadly.

See, you're a Millennial by birth but more of a Gen Xer by nature. I'm similar for my era; most of my favorite music is from the early to late 80's, when I was 1-9 years old.

Also, for the record, I'm one of those weirdos who likes In Utero more than Nevermind. They're both great albums, but I like the raw intensity of In Utero. I guess you could say it's more "punk" (which is a genre I've somehow never gotten in to). Also, I never got into Pearl Jam. When people would say they liked Pearl Jam more than Nirvana, I always called them crazy.

3 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

I bought Oxenfree. Sorry @RizzleAbbey12, not waiting for your review :) decided that it got great reviews and I should just get it for this crazy price.

No worries, I'm glad to see you've brought it! :) Sorry I haven't started it yet :facepalm:, Skyrim has me hooked haha! Hope you enjoy it :).

Oh on another note, I brought Stardew Valley after all! :) 

Edited by RizzleAbbey12
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Miles_Warren said:

You and me both. 75+ hours and I've only done 6 main quests 1f602.png Still haven't even met Paatharnaxis or whatever his name is lol

Haha I'm glad to see I'm not alone! I'm level 34, have explored nearly half of the map, finished the Dark Brotherhood questline, and I haven't even spoken to the Jarl of Whiterun yet! ?

13 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'll have to check it out. It did pique my interest.

What's the sale price for you now? You're getting a game that can be played through in a couple of hours, with little replay value. Full price for me was €8, I think, and I didn't mind that I payed that for it.

13 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I still don't really agree with that premise. I don't understand a lot of current fads. Snapchat is certainly one of them. My understanding of that really isn't much better than my parents. But at least I have a smartphone. But hell, even there a friend told me I was typing text messages wrong since I don't do the "two thumbs" position (I do almost everything on my phone one-handed).

I'm probably just not explaining myself well enough. We know how to use smartphones and understand what snapchat does, we don't have to be told how wifi works and we don't need a manual to connect a PS4 to a television. I'm not saying we get into every new fad, just that we're aware of the technology. We were young enough that new technology isn't that difficult for us to understand, like my mother-in-law who I had to help with a basic smartphone setting, I forget which (turning off vibrate or something).

11 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

No worries, I'm glad to see you've brought it! :) Sorry I haven't started it yet :facepalm:, [...] Hope you enjoy it :).

Seems like it should be a cool game. and for €5, who are we kidding. With my current distaste for AAA games, I should be thankful an indie game that was reviewed that well and panders to so many of my intersts goes on such a good sale so quickly.

Oh on another note, I brought Stardew Valley after all! :) 

Well done! Quick note: Whatever you name your farm, it'll get " Farm" behind it, so take note. My first go was Farm Solo, which got turned into Farm Solo Farm in the dialogue, so I immediately started over. I'm now on "Rogue" so it's talked about as being Rogue Farm. Not as good a pun as Farm Solo, but whatever. And yes, I named my dog Chewie.

Skyrim has me hooked haha!

11 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

You and me both. 75+ hours and I've only done 6 main quests 1f602.png Still haven't even met Paatharnaxis or whatever his name is lol

10 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Haha I'm glad to see I'm not alone! I'm level 34, have explored nearly half of the map, finished the Dark Brotherhood questline, and I haven't even spoken to the Jarl of Whiterun yet! 1f602.png

Okay, so...

I bought Skyrim on X360. Got completely lost; spent perhaps twenty hours in the game without even going up the mountain.

I bought Skyrim on X360 again when the collector's edition went on an insane sale (the one with the statuette of Alduin). Restarted on the game, played dozens of hours, never finished the main storyline. Eventually got stuck in a late game main story mission where I went to a closed off area with lots of dragons and dragon bones, which I was trying to save to make dragonbone armour with. So I kept picking up bones, walking towards the start of the map and dropping them there, and so on... Eventually got distracted by a different game.

I bought Skyrim on Switch somewhere in the first few days. Played over ten hours until I got into other games again. Time will tell if I get back to the game soon enough to continue on my old save or if I will just restart again.

On 1/25/2018 at 2:15 AM, Simple Rick said:

I'm 22. Distinctly remember, and used VHS for years. First phone I got was a flip phone with just enough power to run an assortment of built in MIDI files. As a youngin, I was this close to drinking a cup of super mega hot chilli for 200 bucks so I could buy a Game Boy. By the time I was 13 I had only just got the internet, and previously had to go to the library and book an hour session of their computers to use the internet. I also remember taking forever to download a low quality movie trailer and watching it over and over during my school lunch breaks. Quake 3 was the choice game during my high school years to play on school computers with your friends, and my first smart phone landed in my hands around 2011 or so.

Where in the blue hell do I fit in then?

*I'm 21. I turn 22 in like 7 months, no idea why I wrote 22.

Island Flight Simulator: a new game on the eShop. I had a glancing interest in this but apparently it's very, very, very bad. So you're all warned.

Played a bit of Super One More Jump last evening and I enjoyed it. I don't think fans of platformers should miss this game.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I'm 22. Distinctly remember, and used VHS for years. First phone I got was a flip phone with just enough power to run an assortment of built in MIDI files. As a youngin, I was this close to drinking a cup of super mega hot chilli for 200 bucks so I could buy a Game Boy. By the time I was 13 I had only just got the internet, and previously had to go to the library and book an hour session of their computers to use the internet. I also remember taking forever to download a low quality movie trailer and watching it over and over during my school lunch breaks. Quake 3 was the choice game during my high school years to play on school computers with your friends, and my first smart phone landed in my hands around 2011 or so.

Where in the blue hell do I fit in then?

*I'm 21. I turn 22 in like 7 months, no idea why I wrote 22.

Just like @Shiny Suicune, being born in the millennial generation doesn't automatically make you a millennial at heart.

I'm also guessing that it has a lot to do with where you live - with how much you Australians complain about game prices and availability, it wouldn't surprise me if you guys are a few years behind on technology in general. What's the ratio Blu-ray to DVD over there?

Edited by Simple Rick

14 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

See, you're a Millennial by birth but more of a Gen Xer by nature. I'm similar for my era; most of my favorite music is from the early to late 80's, when I was 1-9 years old.

lol I love music from the 80's :P

Also, for the record, I'm one of those weirdos who likes In Utero more than Nevermind. They're both great albums, but I like the raw intensity of In Utero. I guess you could say it's more "punk" (which is a genre I've somehow never gotten in to). Also, I never got into Pearl Jam. When people would say they liked Pearl Jam more than Nirvana, I always called them crazy.

I like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Candle Box and Alice N' Chains lol. I love Nevermind only because that's the first time I heard of Kurt Cobain and fell in love lol

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy I am 26 for the record and turning 27 in two months lol

Edited by Shiny Suicune

10 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

Just like @Shiny Suicune, being born in the millennial generation doesn't automatically make you a millennial at heart.

I'm also guessing that it has a lot to do with where you live - with how much you Australians complain about game prices and availability, it wouldn't surprise me if you guys are a few years behind on technology in general. What's the ratio Blu-ray to DVD over there?

Blu Ray players, PS3 or otherwise, yeah, everyone I know has at least one. Blu Rays themsevles though? No one really buys physical media here anymore. Ever since we FINALLY got Netflix, it and the competition have taken over. To be honest though, it took years for Blu Ray to catch on. We had it in like 2006 or whatever just like everyone else, but we also had PS3's being around 1200 for years and PS3's also being the cheapest available Blu Ray player for a good long while. I remember a Sony Blu Ray player being 1500 a bit over 10 years ago. Shit's expensive. Things have got better now, with the internet, but for pretty well everything, we were hella ripped off and hella behind. 

All I can really say, is we were one of the few countries who got a VHS release of Revenge of the Sith.

10 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

All I can really say, is we were one of the few countries who got a VHS release of Revenge of the Sith.

Well that's something we could compare on; I remember getting Phantom Menace on VHS but Attack Of The Clones was already just on DVD. It all went very quick at some point, suddenly all VHS went on clearance sales.

Just read there's a new big sale on the eShop, nothing that piqued my interest though.

13 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

Well that's something we could compare on; I remember getting Phantom Menace on VHS but Attack Of The Clones was already just on DVD. It all went very quick at some point, suddenly all VHS went on clearance sales.

TBH DVD took over real quick, the only people who actually used VCRs in 2003 or 2004 were old people who were too invested / scared to move on. I only saw the VHS tape years later in the back room of a video store and it caught my eye. For a while I went through a VHS phase not unlike the idiots paying a fortune for vinyl records (not getting into the debate or anything, I'm simply saying you're an idiot to pay 150 for a reissue of Hellbent for Leather, no matter the medium) and had stacked up pretty well all the VHS versions of the OG Star Wars trilogy pretty quickly somehow. I had the CBS FOX tapes, the trilogy box set from '83, the special editions, the special editions in widescreen, a 2002 re-release of the trilogy with a 10 minute preview thing to AotC, and TPM and AotC as well. Never got a copy of RotS though.

Seems like it should be a cool game. and for €5, who are we kidding. With my current distaste for AAA games, I should be thankful an indie game that was reviewed that well and panders to so many of my intersts goes on such a good sale so quickly.

I know, it's definitely a steal at that price! :) I think it's quite a long game as well which always makes that better value in my book. What aren't you liking about AAA games at the minute, if you don't mind me asking?

Well done! Quick note: Whatever you name your farm, it'll get " Farm" behind it, so take note. My first go was Farm Solo, which got turned into Farm Solo Farm in the dialogue, so I immediately started over. I'm now on "Rogue" so it's talked about as being Rogue Farm. Not as good a pun as Farm Solo, but whatever. And yes, I named my dog Chewie.

Haha! :D I knew that already but that's a pretty great name for a farm ?! I always name my farm either Stardew Farm or something like Waffle Farm!

Okay, so...

I bought Skyrim on X360. Got completely lost; spent perhaps twenty hours in the game without even going up the mountain.

I bought Skyrim on X360 again when the collector's edition went on an insane sale (the one with the statuette of Alduin). Restarted on the game, played dozens of hours, never finished the main storyline. Eventually got stuck in a late game main story mission where I went to a closed off area with lots of dragons and dragon bones, which I was trying to save to make dragonbone armour with. So I kept picking up bones, walking towards the start of the map and dropping them there, and so on... Eventually got distracted by a different game.

I bought Skyrim on Switch somewhere in the first few days. Played over ten hours until I got into other games again. Time will tell if I get back to the game soon enough to continue on my old save or if I will just restart again.

You should definitely get back into Skyrim again! It's an absolute blast to play and you find yourself getting wayyy to addicted to playing it as I have at the minute! I love how you can just go off and do your own thing without being confined to a story line that you have to play first before you can explore or do anything else.

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Distinctly remember, and used VHS for years.

That's the same for me as well only I'm 20 and I'll be 21 in 5 months. I remember using VHS as I used to watch the Harry Potter films on VHS when I was little :). Man, I've got some great memories with the old VHS films!

1 hour ago, Shiny Suicune said:

lol I love music from the 80's :P

Snap! :P I love listening to 80's music and my mum's always quizzing me on the songs and stuff like that. Are you a fan of the 80's films?

Hey guys, I got a little favor to ask.

I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but I'm just not sure.

Recently I'm strictly limiting my purchases so that I can only buy a new game after I've completed 3 from by backlog. (I think I will make an Event out of that :hmm:)

Anyway, never played much of Xeno-anything. I did however try the Wii version of the first game and liked it. But not to an extent where I was consumed by it. I did cast it aside and never finished it, which is why I'm not sure about this one.

Is there anyone with a similair taste in RPG's who loves this game?

These are my favourite RPG's from the last couple years:

Bloodborne - and obviously the whole Souls series too.

NieR: Automata - Best fucking game of 2017.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I know, not really that much of an RPG but it has all the qualities I like in them.

Ni No Kuni - just an overall fun experience. Really loved the caracters and the music.

Games I really don't like:

The Surge - I think this is an atrocious, unplayable piece of software.

Diablo III - I don't like the series as a whole, but this one I played a little bit more of.

Horizon Zero Dawn - It's not that I think it's shit, I just don't get the praise. The Story seems to be fantastic but the rest of the game is just boring and bland to me. The whole combat system is a little lame to say the least.

Can anyone with the same taste in games recommend it to me? Pretty please?

2 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

I know, it's definitely a steal at that price! :) I think it's quite a long game as well which always makes that better value in my book. What aren't you liking about AAA games at the minute, if you don't mind me asking?

I've written essay-worthy posts in this thread:

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/55724-the-steady-corruption-of-the-aaa-gaming-industry/

Long story short (that still hits most of the notes): AAA gaming, especially third-party, has been mutationg towards finding a golden rule - multiplayer with microtransactions, rpg-lite with talent tree and crafting, and so on - that will make them as much money as possible. They're not innovating any more, and games start to feel all the same to me.

Slide15.jpg

(http://www.hellblade.com/the-independent-aaa-proposition/)

As such, I have started to dislike AAA gaming more and more and I've started to invest in independent developers more and more. The only third party AAA games I have bought in 2017 and actually enjoyed were from Ubisoft (AC Origins and South Park The Fractured But Whole), other AAA games I enjoyed were either second or first party. And the two second/first party PlayStation AAA games that I enjoyed (Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy) were still very similar to things that came before in terms of gameplay.

At this point, I'd just rather invest in independent developers that make games that either do something different, or that cater to genres which aren't generally touched by AAA gaming any more (point and click, platforming). I've had a blast with games like Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, Snipperclips (started as indie before Nintendo saw its potential), Yooka-Laylee, Thimbleweed Park, Völgarr The Viking, The Talos Principle, Hellblade, Accounting+, Statik, Elite Dangerous... Yet I see sequels to Shadow Of Mordor, The Last Of Us, God Of War, and I justthink "ugh, nope".

Hope that makes sense.

You should definitely get back into Skyrim again! It's an absolute blast to play and you find yourself getting wayyy to addicted to playing it as I have at the minute! I love how you can just go off and do your own thing without being confined to a story line that you have to play first before you can explore or do anything else.

I have no doubt that I'll love getting into Skyrim again but there's so many other games that I want to play...

Snap! :P I love listening to 80's music and my mum's always quizzing me on the songs and stuff like that. Are you a fan of the 80's films?

Let's not forget that some of the greatest films come from the eighties. Aliens, Back To The Future, Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones...

1 hour ago, Joker said:

Recently I'm strictly limiting my purchases so that I can only buy a new game after I've completed 3 from by backlog. (I think I will make an Event out of that :hmm:)

I'd be in that event! How would it work? Counting games played, and resetting once you buy something new?

I'm not touching the question though because J-games are hit and often miss for me. I might try Xenoblade at some point. Other than that, we seem to have similar taste. I really like Bloodborne (might have loved it if I could have played it without getting a corrupted save), I love Zelda, I really enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn but only because of the presentation and story twists as I also thought the gameplay was very bland (just not so bad that I didn't like the whole package). I'd like to try NieR Automata.