Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

I'm finally a proud owner of a Switch since last Saturday and am already growing my backlog.

I got Donke Kong Tropical Freeze as part of the console bundle I bought. In addition I got Zelda Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey, both games I really wanted to play. I refused to buy Zelda for the Wii U.

The last game I got was Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, despite already having the Wii U and 3DS version of the game.

After trying all of the games I like Mario and Hyrule Warriors the most.

The next games I might get are Fire Emblem Warriors and Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Also are there any good games on the E-Shop worth buying? Preferably exclusives.

7 hours ago, Shiny Suicune said:

Pre-Ordered

Thimbleweed Park

Wait, what? That game has been out since last September or so. Or is there an upcoming physical version?

6 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I'm finally a proud owner of a Switch since last Saturday and am already growing my backlog.

I got Donke Kong Tropical Freeze as part of the console bundle I bought. In addition I got Zelda Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey, both games I really wanted to play. I refused to buy Zelda for the Wii U.

The last game I got was Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, despite already having the Wii U and 3DS version of the game.

After trying all of the games I like Mario and Hyrule Warriors the most.

The next games I might get are Fire Emblem Warriors and Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Also are there any good games on the E-Shop worth buying? Preferably exclusives.

Nice, welcome!

I'm playing through Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors myself. I liked Odyssey (loved some bits), and I loved Breath Of The Wild (which was a surprise to me as I usually only like Zelda games). I can recommend Mario + Rabbids, fun game.

This is a list of games I own digitally (excluding the games I already mentioned above - I'm going full digital) which I enjoyed a lot. The ones in bold can't be played on a Sony/Microsoft console (don't know what list you have). The ones in italics I've bought on different systems as well (might say something about the quality).

The Fall

The Fall Part 2: Unbound

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Celeste

Skyrim (haven't finished it yet but it looks great)

Goetia (haven't finished it yet but very good so far)

FRAMED Collection (haven't finished it yet but fun so far)

Sonic Mania

Völgarr The Viking (haven't finished it yet but wow...)

Golf Story

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove

Snipperclips (great in co-op)

VS. Super Mario Bros.

Stardew Valley

Death Squared

Forma.8 (haven't finished it yet but very good so far)

Axiom Verge

Snake Pass

Yooka-Laylee

Putty Pals (great in co-op)

Kirby Star Allies

World Of Goo

Fast RMX

Thimbleweed Park

Bulb Boy (not on Sony consoles but it's on X1)

Picross S

Octodad: Dadliest Catch

Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds Overdrive

Oxenfree

Retro City Rampage

Human Resource Machine

The Pinball Arcade

Bloodstained: Curse Of The Moon (haven't finished it yet but very good so far)

Runner3

37 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Wait, what? That game has been out since last September or so. Or is there an upcoming physical version?

Yes, it was a Pre-Order through Limited Run Games. They also had a Collector's edition but didn't get that so I bought the standard.

Here is said link for proof: https://limitedrungames.com/collections/sold-out/products/thimbleweed-park-switch

It was their first Switch release as well.

If you plan on getting Saturday Morning RPG physical, it's on pre-order right now through their site. 

Here is that link: https://limitedrungames.com/products/switch-limited-run-4-saturday-morning-rpg-preorder 

Saturday Morning RPG is their 5 Switch game. They also have another Pre-order which ends June first.

Here is that link: https://limitedrungames.com/products/switch-limited-run-4

Just passing around information. Enjoy! ? 

Forgot to mention, Bloodstained is absolutely brilliant for an old school / Castlevania fan. However, it's only like an hour and a half long TOPS, I took less than that and am by no means a master or anything.

Up to you if you think it's worth 15 bucks with that run time, but either way, it's one kick ass hour and a half, and I'll be diving back in on a higher difficulty very soon. Also got South Park today and need to fire that up. Hyrule Warriors is dope too, visually not an incredible step up but then the OG version looked pretty damn nice as it was. Some more cheapo games I picked up with change, yada yada yada, I think the next thing I'll buy will be Crash, unless I decide I am willing to pay a ridiculous day one price for Incredibles 2.

6 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

Nice, welcome!

I'm playing through Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors myself. I liked Odyssey (loved some bits), and I loved Breath Of The Wild (which was a surprise to me as I usually only like Zelda games). I can recommend Mario + Rabbids, fun game.

This is a list of games I own digitally (excluding the games I already mentioned above - I'm going full digital) which I enjoyed a lot. The ones in bold can't be played on a Sony/Microsoft console (don't know what list you have). The ones in italics I've bought on different systems as well (might say something about the quality).

The Fall

The Fall Part 2: Unbound

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Celeste

Skyrim (haven't finished it yet but it looks great)

Goetia (haven't finished it yet but very good so far)

FRAMED Collection (haven't finished it yet but fun so far)

Sonic Mania

Völgarr The Viking (haven't finished it yet but wow...)

Golf Story

Snipperclips (great in co-op)

VS. Super Mario Bros.

Stardew Valley

Death Squared

Forma.8 (haven't finished it yet but very good so far)

Axiom Verge

Snake Pass

Yooka-Laylee

Putty Pals (great in co-op)

Kirby Star Allies

World Of Goo

Fast RMX

Thimbleweed Park

Bulb Boy (not on Sony consoles but it's on X1)

Picross S

Octodad: Dadliest Catch

Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds Overdrive

Oxenfree

Retro City Rampage

Human Resource Machine

The Pinball Arcade

Bloodstained: Curse Of The Moon (haven't finished it yet but very good so far)

Runner3

Thanks for that list.

I own some games already on PS4 like The Fall, Skyrim or Yooka-Laylee plus some more. I don't think I will get them again on the Switch.

But others like Golf Story are on my wish list for now. I heard of that game and wanted to play it but forgot it existed.

Also the Framed Collection isn't available right now. Wanted to buy it but I don't know when it is available again.

For Snipperclips: Would you say it's also good in solo play?

I  downloaded The Pinball Arcade but haven't started it yet.

8 hours ago, Shiny Suicune said:

If you plan on getting Saturday Morning RPG physical

I've gone fully digital :) I don't think I'll get that game at all, doesn't really appeal to me.

6 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Forgot to mention, Bloodstained is absolutely brilliant for an old school / Castlevania fan. However, it's only like an hour and a half long TOPS, I took less than that and am by no means a master or anything.

Up to you if you think it's worth 15 bucks with that run time, but either way, it's one kick ass hour and a half, and I'll be diving back in on a higher difficulty very soon.

I got Bloodstained: Curse Of The Moon too, played the first stage and I really enjoyed it.

6 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Also got South Park today and need to fire that up. Hyrule Warriors is dope too, visually not an incredible step up but then the OG version looked pretty damn nice as it was. Some more cheapo games I picked up with change, yada yada yada, I think the next thing I'll buy will be Crash, unless I decide I am willing to pay a ridiculous day one price for Incredibles 2.

Fractured But Whole was a lot of fun, I think. Bought it day one on PS4, with the The Coon statuette.

1 hour ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Thanks for that list.

I own some games already on PS4 like The Fall, Skyrim or Yooka-Laylee plus some more. I don't think I will get them again on the Switch.

But others like Golf Story are on my wish list for now. I heard of that game and wanted to play it but forgot it existed.

Also the Framed Collection isn't available right now. Wanted to buy it but I don't know when it is available again.

For Snipperclips: Would you say it's also good in solo play?

I  downloaded The Pinball Arcade but haven't started it yet.

I think everyone should get Golf Story, such a cool game.

Death Squared and Putty Pals are perfectly playable alone but with Snipperclips, I'd really advise only playing it together.

What I like best about The Pinball Arcade is that you can set the screen to sideways view and play like that, full pinball overview. I bought one table pack (completely with gold coins), but I will surely buy more.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:59 PM, Shiny Suicune said:

I will only update the games I have. 

Currently I have

Physical

Super Mario Odyssey

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Bayonetta Climax Edition(Japanese Edition)

Monopoly For Nintendo Switch

Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Lost Sphear(PAL Version)

I Am Setsuna(Japanese Version)

Lego City Undercover

Super Bomerman R

Poi Explorer Edition

Lego Marvel Superheores 2

L.A Noire

Snipperclips Plus

Fire Emblem Warriors

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Digital

Stardew Valley

Snipperclips

Pre-Ordered

Thimbleweed Park

Saturday Morning RPG

Octopath Traveler

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Adding Little Dragon's Cafe Limited Edition

I need to get Golf Story this month before some My Nintendo points expire so I can get some discount. Looking forward to trying it out. 

Anyone else going to try Mario Tennis Aces pre-launch demo? It's going live June 1st - June 3rd. Never played any Mario Tennis games so I'll probably have no idea what I'm doing.

4 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Anyone else going to try Mario Tennis Aces pre-launch demo? It's going live June 1st - June 3rd. Never played any Mario Tennis games so I'll probably have no idea what I'm doing.

Yes, very excited to try it. :) Never played a Mario Tennis game before, but the Strikers games were both amazing, so I hope this will be similar in multiplayer.

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

I need to get Golf Story this month before some My Nintendo points expire so I can get some discount. Looking forward to trying it out. 

Great game an worth the full price,in my eyes. Using gold points myself for a discount on some Pinball Arcade packs.

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

1 hour ago, soniq said:

Yes, very excited to try it. :) Never played a Mario Tennis game before, but the Strikers games were both amazing, so I hope this will be similar in multiplayer.

I'll try it if I can find some time. Busy weekend.

I bought some more table packs, the first Mega Man collection and The Bridge. Unless some unexpected sale happens, I think I'm ready for my summer holiday.

Also bought some new games last week. Not even sure when I'll get around to playing them, but somehow buying physical Switch games feels less like building a backlog and more like investing in the system. :D

Also, traditionally physical Nintendo games seem to gain value over enough time.

Edited by soniq

Not enough hype for Octopath Traveler in this thread.

It's the only Switch game I'm looking forward to within the near future. Otherwise the only game I have is Mario Odyssey and I've had a Switch since November. It feels like there's no games that I wouldn't rather just get on PS4 with trophies, and the announcement of no Virtual Console was a slap in the face. I hope they still decide to bring some old games to the Switch eventually.

I don't mean to bring such negativity to the thread but I'm so frustrated.

25 minutes ago, Asvinia said:

It's the only Switch game I'm looking forward to within the near future. Otherwise the only game I have is Mario Odyssey and I've had a Switch since November. It feels like there's no games that I wouldn't rather just get on PS4 with trophies, and the announcement of no Virtual Console was a slap in the face. I hope they still decide to bring some old games to the Switch eventually.

I have the Wayfarer's Edition Pre-Ordered. I played the demo the day it was announced and I cannot wait for it. I also said if they have a collector's edition I am getting that version. So I waited and waited then bam! Pre-ordered immediately that version was announced on BestBuy :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Asvinia said:

If you only got Mario Odyssey, what did you get the Switch for? There are tons of brilliant games out right now and even more are coming.

How can you own a Switch without Zelda? Do you like RPG's? There is Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Mario + Rabbids (which is amazing, don't let the Rabbids fool you), Golf Story, Shin Megami Tensei V, Disgaea 5, Motherfucking Pokemon Switch, Fire Emblem etc...

Then all the Nintendo exclusives like Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze,  Bayonetta 1 + 2 + 3, Metroid Prime 4, Toads Treasure Tracker, Super Smash Bros., Mario Tennis (Don't make the same mistake thinking it's a Tennis game and thus not interesting. Mario Tennis is awesome and I couldn't care less for actual Tennis) ARMS, Splatoon 2 and so on...

This may be subjective, but all these awesome Pixel-Art Indie games are coming to life on the Switch screen in a way I couldn't imagine. Plus you can play them on the go and most indie games are perfect for that i.e. Axiom Verge, Owlboy, Celeste etc...

I really mean no offense, but if you can't pick a game form any of those few I mentioned you shouldn't have gotten the system at all. There are plenty of games you can not pick up on PS4.

J

Edited by Stardew Shelly
  • Like 1

Thinking about getting Street Fighter: 30th Anniversary Edition. I enjoyed II Turbo: Hyper Fighting on the SNES back in the day and would pay €10 to have it on a handheld, so €20 for a bynch of other Street Fighter games doesn't seem too bad.

I'm open to being convinced to either just buy it or wait on a sale.

18 hours ago, soniq said:

Also bought some new games last week. Not even sure when I'll get around to playing them, but somehow buying physical Switch games feels less like building a backlog and more like investing in the system. :D

Weird, to me buying digital feels like investing in the system :D

I'm wondering about everyone here who buys mainly physical: how do you take your games with you when you play on the move (or do you even play on the move at all)? Do you have a Switch carrying case with room for games, or do you have a bunch of those plastic holders?

Persobally I think it's awesome how all my games are always on the card (and thanks to recently buying a 400GB card, it'll be a while before I have to delete anything).

Also, traditionally physical Nintendo games seem to gain value over enough time.

I don't think that's true except for the NES-N64 era.

12 hours ago, Asvinia said:

To be frank, it sounds like you either have too narrow a game preference or you just don't know what's available on the eShop. Like futuristic racing? There's Fast RMX, a Nintendo exclusive. Like turn based tactical RPGs? There's Mario+Rabbids, another exclusive. Like platformers? There's Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, jup, only at Nintendo. Want something weirder? Golf Story, Snipperclips, World Of Goo and Runner3 all can't be found on consoles other than Nintendo's. All in all, there's loads of games that could appeal to you, if you know where to look. Just state your gaming preferences in this thread and you'll get a bunch of recommendations from people. Edit: looks like you've already got some basic recommendations from @Stardew Shelly and myself. Tell us which genres you're into and we'll specify :)

Yeah it's a shame we have no SNES/N64 VC system yet but the NES games are coming, and there's increasingly many other ways for getting the classics. VS. Super Mario Bros. is an excellent port thanks to Arcade Archives. Capcom are releasing all the NES and SNES Mega Man and Street Fighter games themselves. SEGA is coming with the SEGA AGES collection of classic Mega Drive / Master System games, and these titles will be released on the Switch too. I'm thinking that there will still be ports of Super Mrio World and Donkey Kong 64 and the likes, it just won't be in the way we're used to.

Edited by Cthulhu

11 hours ago, Asvinia said:

I played the demo for Octopath Traveler and it seems like a promising title. Reminded me of Bravely Default which I liked a lot. And how cool is getting a snow leopard companion. 

I haven't played anything on Switch after completing Kirby Star Allies as I've been playing 3DS and Vita lately, trying to get through my backlog. Maybe E3 will have surprise reveals for Switch. I've been waiting for the expo for months and I'm antsy for all kinds of cool gaming news. :blush:

1 hour ago, Cthulhu said:

I'm wondering about everyone here who buys mainly physical: how do you take your games with you when you play on the move (or do you even play on the move at all)? Do you have a Switch carrying case with room for games, or do you have a bunch of those plastic holders?

Persobally I think it's awesome how all my games are always on the card (and thanks to recently buying a 400GB card, it'll be a while before I have to delete anything).

I got the official Nintendo case for the Switch.

https://www.amazon.de/Nintendo-1014341-Switch-Tasche-Schutzfolie/dp/B01MY7KPH1/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1527588532&sr=8-16&keywords=switch+case

There are room for about 7 games I think and since switching Switch games (switchedy switch) is fast and easy I don't mind it. I like owning exclusives physical, not just on Switch. But I buy a lot digital as well. I'd say I'm 70 : 30 on digital/physical.

J

Edited by Stardew Shelly

9 minutes ago, Stardew Shelly said:

I got the official Nintendo case for the Switch.

https://www.amazon.de/Nintendo-1014341-Switch-Tasche-Schutzfolie/dp/B01MY7KPH1/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1527588532&sr=8-16&keywords=switch+case

There are room for about 7 games I think and since switching Switch games (switchedy switch) is fast and easy I don't mind it. I like owning exclusives physical, not just on Switch. But I buy a lot digital as well. I'd say I'm 70 : 30 on digital/physical.

J

I got this one:

switch-messenger-bag-packaging.jpg?v=Roj

It seemed great because it came with a smaller case, just one without pouches.

In reality though I haven't used the large bag in ages. I'm never taking the dock anywhere, I'm only ever taking the Switch itself inside the small case.

On the Switch, I've gone full digital and I've paid full price day one for a fair few Nintendo games. On PS4, I get AAA games physical and used so I can trade them on afterwards.

2 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

Thinking about getting Street Fighter: 30th Anniversary Edition. I enjoyed II Turbo: Hyper Fighting on the SNES back in the day and would pay €10 to have it on a handheld, so €20 for a bynch of other Street Fighter games doesn't seem too bad.

I'm wondering about everyone here who buys mainly physical: how do you take your games with you when you play on the move (or do you even play on the move at all)?

Isn't Street Fighter 30th Anniversary €40 though? I have seen Ultra SF2 as low as €15 in some shops, but still doesn't seem worth it with the new collection coming soon.

I don't trust Nintendo with digital. They have to prove to me first that I'm actually building a library, not just getting games that I lose when the hardware dies and that I'll be able to play on their future systems aswell.

My Switch never leaves my home. I only play docked on my TV with a Pro Controller.

54 minutes ago, soniq said:

Isn't Street Fighter 30th Anniversary €40 though? I have seen Ultra SF2 as low as €15 in some shops, but still doesn't seem worth it with the new collection coming soon.

Holy f*cking shit, it's €50 even. Well, never mind then, I'll just wait until a 70% sale.

I don't trust Nintendo with digital. They have to prove to me first that I'm actually building a library, not just getting games that I lose when the hardware dies and that I'll be able to play on their future systems aswell.

Well, on the Switch you DO have an account to which the games are tied now. Don't know why they should prove that you can play games you buy on future systems when PS3->PS4 does not have that either, except with a rare few cross-buys.

My Switch never leaves my home. I only play docked on my TV with a Pro Controller.

I started out like that but the Switch became a handheld console for me fairly quickly, to the point that even at home it gets more handheld time than docked time.

Okay, so ignoring Street Fighter for now, I've got a few other decisions to make.

The Way Remastered. I saw it on the eShop and was immediately interested but the scores of reviews combined with an apparently game breaking bug made me hesitant. By now, I know that not only have the devs warned gamers about the bug and provided a workaround, they had actually sent a fix to Nintendo before the release date. And it's all fixed now.

L.A. Noire. I'm interested in it again now that I have a 400GB microSD card. I was thinking about the game today and it turns outit just entered a 25% off sale on the Switch,bringing the price down to €37,50 (or €2,50 under the PS4 main price). I know it's been €20 on PS4 already but screw it, I'm paying to be able to play it portable on a small screen. The remastered version on PS4 probably only serves to bring out the flaws more to me. I'll probably still buy the PS4 version once it's under €10, L.A. Noire and Portal 2 are the games of the past decade I've replayed the most. @Super-Fly Spider-Guy anything to add on the Switch game?

Yoku's Island Express. I don't know, I barely know anything about it but it seems like fun and it's getting good to great reviews.

4 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Don't know why they should prove that you can play games you buy on future systems when PS3->PS4 does not have that either, except with a rare few cross-buys.

Because it's 2018 and I expect that going forward. Also, I got burned by losing all of my Virtual Console games on my old Wii and swore to never use their marketplace ever again. Or at least not until I'm 100% sure that the money will not be completely wasted.

1 minute ago, soniq said:

Because it's 2018 and I expect that going forward. Also, I got burned by losing all of my Virtual Console games on my old Wii and swore to never use their marketplace ever again. Or at least not until I'm 100% sure that the money will not be completely wasted.

I don't really think we'll see it for PS4->PS5 either though. Maybe for a few games ,if we're lucky, but most games will just remain on PS4 without getting a remastered version and I doubt Sony will suddenly make PS5 compatible with PS4 discs.

VC is another beast altogether. The way it was on Wii, Wii U and 3DS; yeah that should have been cross-buy. My guess though, is that a year or two from now we'll see a Zelda Collection, Super Mario Collection, Donkey Kong Collection... More packages and few, if any, solo games, outside of whatever that subscription thing is going to be.

1 minute ago, Cthulhu said:

I don't really think we'll see it for PS4->PS5 either though. Maybe for a few games ,if we're lucky, but most games will just remain on PS4 without getting a remastered version and I doubt Sony will suddenly make PS5 compatible with PS4 discs.

I don't care about them remastering anything. I just want the new systems to run the old games at least at equal performance. I expect that when I buy a new phone or computer too, so I think that consoles should do that too if they are all running on similar architecture now.

If Sony decide to use AMD chips again, which is highly possible, I fully expect PS5 to run PS4 games in boost mode plus, or whatever they are going to call it.

If you look at what MS does with backwards compatibility, my hope is that Sony will want to do that aswell. Current PCs also can run PS3 emulators and play Demon's Souls with better framerates at higher resolution that the PS3, so I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to get that in there aswell.

2 minutes ago, soniq said:

I don't care about them remastering anything. I just want the new systems to run the old games at least at equal performance. I expect that when I buy a new phone or computer too, so I think that consoles should do that too if they are all running on similar architecture now.

If Sony decide to use AMD chips again, which is highly possible, I fully expect PS5 to run PS4 games in boost mode plus, or whatever they are going to call it.

If you look at what MS does with backwards compatibility, my hope is that Sony will want to do that aswell. Current PCs also can run PS3 emulators and play Demon's Souls with better framerates at higher resolution that the PS3, so I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to get that in there aswell.

We'll see in a couple of years, I guess. I doubt any console will be comatible with an older generation, but it would be very cool. Not that it matters much to me personally since I have most digitally now.

Backwards compatibility really is the one thing X1 has over PS4, for me, though it's still not nearly all games that are compatible. In the end, I have enough room to keep my PS3 and other consoles around.