Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

14 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Seems to be the case. Now it says it's F2P later this year. So the Founders Pack is for people who can't/don't want to wait for the free version. In my opinion that's ok.

If you really want to play the game now why not pay for it?

By the way, it's 30€ in Germany. Normaly the just take the $ price and put an € behind.

I'm thinking about buying Saturday Morning RPG. Any thought about the game? Is it worth for about 7€?

I'm not too fussed really, but since I have never touched it and was only interested in the fact it was a "free online FPS that will hopefully be full of people because it's the only free online FPS for Switch"

I have only spent about 5 minutes in the game, fired it up last night finally but then the missus wanted to play Shaq Fu so I gave her the Switch. Seems, humourous, so far.

17 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

I know the FAQ by heart and every single add-on ship/pilot/weapon can be bought as just-digital DLC.

Getting McCloud and the Arwing makes it even more interesting to me, as it's now much more appealing than the pilot/ship from the standard pack. I probably would have bought the racing ship instead. Still might get it on the side.

https://starlink.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/starlink/ships

I should have been clearer. I've been through the toys-to-life thing before with LEGO Dimensions (and to a lesser extent, Disney Infinity and Amiibo). It's not just the collectible toys that give me pause, but recurring purchases in general. So Starlink is interesting, but I want to hear more about how necessary additional purchases are. I'd prefer to just grab the Starfox starter pack and that's it.

17 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

Don't know if there ever will be such a packed Direct, the Switch is not new any more and they probably won't hold on to so many big titles any more. If they ever announce a new F-Zero, that Direct will win for me hands down though.

I don't need a "packed" Direct, but I want something that has announcements or surprises. This E3 Direct was 90% games we already knew about. As far as I can tell, Mario Party was the only brand-new first-party announcement and it wasn't much of a surprise seeing as we've had one on every console and portable since the N64. I would have loved to see something about the rumored new Pikmin for example. Don't get me wrong, the presentation was fine, but it wasn't very fun or surprising.

Honestly during the E3 period I've gotten more excited by outside announcements, like the news that Tales of Vesperia is coming to Switch.

I just saw a Twitter announcement that the Splatoon 2 singleplayer DLC is out today. Does it seem strange to anyone else that a short trailer was shown during the Direct, but that it still said "Summer 2018"? Surely they knew the release date by then. Maybe they were tying it in to the championship thing.

I'd like to get some more controllers with the idea that I'd somehow coherse some friends over to the house to play the new Smash come December (shouldn't be TOO difficult but you know people and their lives and whatnot)... but I'm torn.  I really don't want to buy 3-4 Pro controllers, that doesn't seem very cost effective. ?

I wonder just how uncomfortable it'd be if I got another set of joy cons, and we tried using those 4 separately. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

11 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'd like to get some more controllers with the idea that I'd somehow coherse some friends over to the house to play the new Smash come December (shouldn't be TOO difficult but you know people and their lives and whatnot)... but I'm torn.  I really don't want to buy 3-4 Pro controllers, that doesn't seem very cost effective. 1f605.png

I wonder just how uncomfortable it'd be if I got another set of joy cons, and we tried using those 4 separately. xD

I've only used single Joy-cons for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and they're fine for that. Of course, Smash Bros has more inputs to work with. Did you ever play the Wii or Wii U version with a single Wiimote held sideways? It should be a similar experience.

Also, in case you didn't know, Smash Bros Switch officially supports Gamecube controllers, since apparently the Smash community loves them. Personally I hate Gamecube controllers and think they should be consigned to history books. But that's apparently an unpopular opinion. I'm also not the target Smash player, since I suck at the game and fighting games in general. I may still get it, but I'd really only be interested in a singleplayer campaign, which this doesn't appear to have.

I played Hollow Knight for about 10 minutes last night and I enjoyed that small preview I had of the game. I am looking forward to being able to have an in-game map later. I know I'm mentioned this several times in this thread, but in-game maps are a must for me in platformers that have any kind of exploration element. I'm still salty about Owlboy not having one, but I'm sticking to my guns and not buying it. :(

22 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I've only used single Joy-cons for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and they're fine for that. Of course, Smash Bros has more inputs to work with. Did you ever play the Wii or Wii U version with a single Wiimote held sideways? It should be a similar experience.

Also, in case you didn't know, Smash Bros Switch officially supports Gamecube controllers, since apparently the Smash community loves them. Personally I hate Gamecube controllers and think they should be consigned to history books. But that's apparently an unpopular opinion. I'm also not the target Smash player, since I suck at the game and fighting games in general. I may still get it, but I'd really only be interested in a singleplayer campaign, which this doesn't appear to have.

I played Hollow Knight for about 10 minutes last night and I enjoyed that small preview I had of the game. I am looking forward to being able to have an in-game map later. I know I'm mentioned this several times in this thread, but in-game maps are a must for me in platformers that have any kind of exploration element. I'm still salty about Owlboy not having one, but I'm sticking to my guns and not buying it. :(

Yeah, I heard about the Gamecube controller support, not really sure I want to go down that route.  It's an option though.  Having PS3, PS4, Xbox One controllers and the Switch joycons... and a few old school USB controllers for my RetroPie setup... littering my house/living room is really as far as I'd like to go with it. xD

I guess if I was going to, I'd rather invest in more joycons (or even Pro controllers) that 99% of Switch games support.  I think the Wii-mote worked fine the few times I tried playing Smash with it, but I think the joycons are a bit smaller and probably even harder to get used to.

EDIT: Glad you like what you've seen of Hollow Knight so far.  The map will be a point of challenge though, since you need to traverse most areas blind to find the map seller guy (and afford/buy the map) before you unlock that section.  He can be pretty hidden at times too.  And certain charms IMO are needed to properly follow the map, like the one that shows your position on it... which would of course use up a charm slot.

Edited by Dreakon13

14 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Yeah, I heard about the Gamecube controller support, not really sure I want to go down that route.  It's an option though.  Having PS3, PS4, Xbox One controllers and the Switch joycons... and a few old school USB controllers for my RetroPie setup... littering my house/living room is really as far as I'd like to go with it. xD

I guess if I was going to, I'd rather invest in more joycons (or even Pro controllers) that 99% of Switch games support.  I think the Wii-mote worked fine the few times I tried playing Smash with it, but I think the joycons are a bit smaller and probably even harder to get used to.

Unless you want to be able to have 4-player capability in Smash day 1, why not get the game and try it for yourself, and then decide what controllers to get? The Joy-cons occasionally go on sale, but they are never steep discounts.

Also, I think it's safe to assume the game will support a player using one Joy-con in each hand, so if you have a single Pro controller and one extra set of Joy-cons, at least you'll have pretty comfortable 3 player support.

14 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

EDIT: Glad you like what you've seen of Hollow Knight so far.  The map will be a point of challenge though, since you need to traverse most areas blind to find the map seller guy (and afford/buy the map) before you unlock that section.  He can be pretty hidden at times too.

I already knew about the map limitations, and I'd be lying if I said I was thrilled about it. It feels to me like an artificial "story" reason to not have a map from the start. Just give me a map, developers.

But hopefully that won't be a total showstopper for me. It's certainly not what I would prefer, but I'll give it a chance. A limited map is better than no map at all.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

25 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Unless you want to be able to have 4-player capability in Smash day 1, why not get the game and try it for yourself, and then decide what controllers to get? The Joy-cons occasionally go on sale, but they are never steep discounts.

Also, I think it's safe to assume the game will support a player using one Joy-con in each hand, so if you have a single Pro controller and one extra set of Joy-cons, at least you'll have pretty comfortable 3 player support.

That's true, I can mess with it.  Maybe I'll try playing some of my other games with just 1 joy con and see how comfortable it is (maybe something a little more intensive... like Hollow Knight :)).  I just don't like not having my ducks in a row before I actually buy a game, if there's other circumstances to consider.  Since multiplayer will be a big part of why I'd get Smash, though I'm sure I'd find ways to entertain myself solo too.

Edited by Dreakon13

5 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I should have been clearer. I've been through the toys-to-life thing before with LEGO Dimensions (and to a lesser extent, Disney Infinity and Amiibo). It's not just the collectible toys that give me pause, but recurring purchases in general. So Starlink is interesting, but I want to hear more about how necessary additional purchases are. I'd prefer to just grab the Starfox starter pack and that's it.

It's just different ships, pilots, weapons. I'd be very surprised if you can't 100% the game with the starter kit, let alone finish the story.

The devs said they figured out a way to make toys-to-life interesting and new, and that they want all to be able to enjoy the game. That makes me pretty certain that there will be no "sorry, you need the ice gun to get past" doorway.

5 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I don't need a "packed" Direct, but I want something that has announcements or surprises. This E3 Direct was 90% games we already knew about. As far as I can tell, Mario Party was the only brand-new first-party announcement and it wasn't much of a surprise seeing as we've had one on every console and portable since the N64. I would have loved to see something about the rumored new Pikmin for example. Don't get me wrong, the presentation was fine, but it wasn't very fun or surprising.

Honestly during the E3 period I've gotten more excited by outside announcements, like the news that Tales of Vesperia is coming to Switch.

I just saw a Twitter announcement that the Splatoon 2 singleplayer DLC is out today. Does it seem strange to anyone else that a short trailer was shown during the Direct, but that it still said "Summer 2018"? Surely they knew the release date by then. Maybe they were tying it in to the championship thing.

That's my point though, because Nintendo usually puts focus on games that are almost finished, we won't see a Direct with many new titles unless there's a new console. Smash is a major attraction so it gets more time, we'll probably see another Direct before Bayonetta 3 releases. That's the thing with Nintendo; because they do Directs more often, they don't need to save up as much for E3. It's not as special as with the other companies, who rarely if ever put on a show.

This week in Switch:

I bought a bunch of digital games, preordered Pokemon, and probably some other shit I'm forgetting.

But mostly, I did the following.

See, EB are doing a 50% bonus trade value for this week toward any preorders, their E3 week celebration thing. That's on top of the 20% I already get due to my level on their membership scheme thing. So that's 70% on top of the usual trade value. The other day I traded a bunch of things, including some stuff I got for free, and got just under 180 bones, which was put on Dying Light 2, Wolf 2 (Switch), and Pokemon. Good deal honestly.

Today what I did, was trade in Splatoon and Zelda on Switch. Zelda was like 45 or something and Splatoon was 40 and change, something like that anyway. Combine that with the extra 70% and I ended up with a few cents shy of 145 for the two. Splatoon I got day one for I think 62 last year, and Zelda was 32.50 preowned a month or two after launch. So just under 100 there, then a year later I traded them both for almost 150.

Now the reason I did this, is Nintendo's E3 sale (84 items on the Aussie store, recommend you hit yours up) is on and here's the thing. Zelda is discounted down 25%, down to 67.45, Splatoon is 33% off, down to 53.30. Thus making for a total of 120.75. Now, if you just trade toward Nintendo cards you only get you 20% bonus which means I'd be losing money on trading into these versions, so I slammed the 145 down on Spider-Man and Crash, then about an hour later when done shopping (and someone else was manning the til) I went in and cancelled the preorders, opting for store credit instead, and grabbed 120 on eShop cards and the other 24 and change on an EB card.

Now, buying those games on the eShop gives you a total of 608 coins, AKA 6 dollars and 8 cents. So 120.75, minus 6.08 is 114.67 for the pair of games. I got 145 to trade in my physical copies, which means, including EB and eShop left over credit, I literally got paid just under 30 dollars to swap my physical versions for digital ones due to this deal.

Now I'm not even gonna bother figuring out how much I made overall when factoring in the initial purchase prices and everything, but long story short, for a couple of games that are a year or so old each, getting almost 150 for the pair is by no means a bad deal. 

I'm bummed with the E3 sale. I know I bought most of what I want already so I didn't expect anything, but seeing Zelda 25% off for only the main game and not the season pass or package... I would have been game is it had been 25% off for the package.

In better news, Arcade Archives: Donkey Kong just released on the eShop, for the standard Arcade Archives slash ACA Neo Geo price.

Also, seems like all the N64 cartridges I have are still working. That Jet Force Gemini soundtrack is still brilliant.

Been a good while since I've done this, come compare yourself against my Switch ability

Bold means it's finished, an asterisk means there's no real way to finish it

Skypeace

Fortnite*

Shaq Fu

Bloody Zombies

Saturday Morning RPG

Fallout Shelter*

Kitten Quest

Lego Marvel 2

Riptide Renegade

Frederick 2

Robonauts

King of Fighters 98

Astro Bears Party*

Frederick 1

Mecho Tales

Plague Road

Namco Museum*

Pokemon Quest*

Bloodstained 

Hyrule Warriors

Pinball Arcade*

NBA Playgrounds

Metal Slug 3

Green Game

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

No Thing

Rocket League

Splatoon 2

Doom

Mario Kart 8

Morphite

Stern Pinball Arcade*

Lichtspeer

Steamworld Dig 2

Lego City

Zelda

Steamworld Dig 1

Thumper

Hollow

Snake Pass

LA Noire

Black Hole

Sonic Mania

Vroom in the Night Sky

Knight Terrors

Vaccine*

Violett

Bayonetta

Sparkle 2

Oh Sir*

Over Top

Super Mario Odyssey

World of Goo

Pinball FX3*

Implosion

Red Game

Gear Club

Blaster Master

Mighty Gunvolt

Don't Knock Twice

Graceful Explosion Machine

Unbox

Astro Deul*

Fast RMX

Mr Shifty

Kid Tripp

Sonic Forces

Shovel Knight

Magician Lord

Rudymical

Kamiko

Retro City Rampage

So 31 of my 72 owned Switch games have been completed. Take out 10 that have no discernible way of finishing them (ie, endless runners, online only shooters, etc.) and you're up to 31 out of 62, thus meaning I've only completed half my Switch games. So honestly, not doing that good on the ratio. I could throw in all the library games I've rented and finished though, like Arms, FIFA 18 (if you count winning the season as finishing it though), and so on, but even then, if I count them I'd have to count the ones I didn't bother finishing because I didn't like them, and there'd be more of them than the ones I finished.

So in conclusion, I have completed exactly half my Switch games at just over a year in, how's about you?

I need some advice / recommendations. It's my 21st in a couple of weeks and I'm getting Harvest Moon: Light of Hope, along with the guide for it. Now instead of SOD2, I've asked for a £25 eShop card instead which I'm getting later. So can anyone recommend anything to me? I have these games on my Watchlist, so what are these like?

• Black: The Fall (Currently in the sale)
  • Don't Starve (I'm kind of holding out for a physical edition for this)
  • Death Road to Canada
  • Golf Story
  • Celeste (I know his has won a few awards and was well reviewed)
  • Milanoir
  • Snoke and Sacrifice (this is right up my alley, but I'm not sure if it's any good)
  • Kimgdom: New Lands
  • The Sexy Brutale (again in the sale and I've been looking at this for ages on Xbox)

9 hours ago, Abbey97 said:

I need some advice / recommendations. It's my 21st in a couple of weeks and I'm getting Harvest Moon: Light of Hope, along with the guide for it. Now instead of SOD2, I've asked for a £25 eShop card instead which I'm getting later. So can anyone recommend anything to me? I have these games on my Watchlist, so what are these like?

• Death Road to Canada
  • Golf Story
  • Milanoir
  • Snoke and Sacrifice (this is right up my alley, but I'm not sure if it's any good)
  • The Sexy Brutale (again in the sale and I've been looking at this for ages on Xbox)

The only one of those that I've played is Celeste, and it was on PC.  But if you like challenging platformers, that game is absolutely top notch.  The gameplay is tough but fair, quality from top to bottom and actually has a nice little story too.  I'd double dip on the Switch but I'm going to wait and see if the game ever comes out on physical cartridge.

7 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

The only one of those that I've played is Celeste, and it was on PC.  But if you like challenging platformers, that game is absolutely top notch.  The gameplay is tough but fair, quality from top to bottom and actually has a nice little story too.  I'd double dip on the Switch but I'm going to wait and see if the game ever comes out on physical cartridge.

Thanks Dreakon! To be honest I'm kind of waiting for a physical version for Celeste as well :D! Now that would be a lovely looking box art! SuperRareGames are going to be announcing some new physical games soon and I really hope one of them is Celeste.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2018 at 0:36 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

So in conclusion, I have completed exactly half my Switch games at just over a year in, how's about you?

Spoiler

Played through:

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Shovel Knight (though I have as of yet refused to play Plague Knight)

The Fall Part 2: Unbound

VS. Super Mario Bros.

Stardew Valley

Death Squared

Pic-a-Pix Deluxe

Axiom Verge

Putty Pals

World Of Goo

Fast RMX

Thimbleweed Park

Bulb Boy

Picross S

Octodad: Dadliest Catch

Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds Overdrive

Oxenfree

Retro City Rampage

Human Resource Machine

Super Mario Odyssey

Celeste

Yoku's Island Express

Kirby Star Allies

Backlog:

Kid Tripp

Pan-Pan

Nihilumbra

The Bridge

Runner3

FRAMED Collection

Bayonetta

Bayonetta 2

Hyrule Warriors

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

The Count Lucanor

The Fall

Goetia

Splitter Critters

Skyrim

Sonic Mania

Völgarr The Viking

Golf Story

Blaster Master Zero

Robonauts

Super One More Jump

Snipperclips DLC

Forma.8

Yooka-Laylee

Snake Pass

Mario Tennis Aces

Subsurface Circular

Agatha Knife

The Way Remastered

Mega Man Legacy Collection

West Of Loathing

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Manticore: Galaxy On Fire

Hollow Knight

Bloodstained: Curse Of The Moon

Membrane

Semispheres

Frederic: The Resurrection Of Music

Frederic 2: Evil Strikes Back

Free games:

Kitten Squad

Pokémon Quest

Fortnite

No way of playing "through":

Arcade Archives Mario Bros.

The Pinball Arcade

Arcade Archives Donkey Kong

67 games bought.

3 can't be "finished", two arcade archive games and a pinball collection.

25 finished. 1 more finished, but DLC unfinished.

39 in the backlog.

However, I've gone on a spending spree the past few weeks. Many games are short, however I've only spent real time on Yoku's Island Express (now finished) and on L.A. Noire, which is reasonable in length and which I just restarted because I want to play without any cues whatsoever, and The Pinball Arcade, which can never be finished. I'm keeping most of those short games for my summer holiday, you could say I've been saving up a bit.

If we would not count my recent "for the summer holiday" spree, or the games in my backlog that I've rebought to have it on the go but which I've played through already on other platforms (Skyrim then still being in the backlog as I never finished the story on any platform), then my backlog would be... 13, plus one game with DLC. Against 25 finished games, I think that's doing pretty well, and I'll get through many of those smaller games before September starts. There's a load of games on there that should take me less than four hours each.

On 16/06/2018 at 4:29 PM, Abbey97 said:

• Death Road to Canada
  • Golf Story
  • Milanoir

Snoke And Sacrifice, is that the new Star Wars spin-off?

Kidding aside, of this list I've played both Golf Story and Celeste, and of both I think they're very much worth their full price. Great games.

41 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Snoke And Sacrifice, is that the new Star Wars spin-off?

I'd buy it! :P I had the same thought when I saw that.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:32 AM, Cthulhu said:

In better news, Arcade Archives: Donkey Kong just released on the eShop, for the standard Arcade Archives slash ACA Neo Geo price.

I grabbed it. It's as hard as I expected which means I'll play it for 15 minutes and never touch it again. But hey, I now own a piece of history! It's Miyamoto's first game that he directed!

On 6/15/2018 at 1:32 AM, Cthulhu said:

I'm bummed with the E3 sale. I know I bought most of what I want already so I didn't expect anything, but seeing Zelda 25% off for only the main game and not the season pass or package... I would have been game is it had been 25% off for the package.

There are a couple of things I'll probably get, so I'm not too disappointed.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:36 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Been a good while since I've done this, come compare yourself against my Switch ability

Completing games is a young man's game, you're not drawing me into your trap!

Seriously though, I don't even want to get into my Switch backlog. Let's just say it's "formidable" and leave it at that.

On 6/13/2018 at 1:48 PM, Cthulhu said:

That's my point though, because Nintendo usually puts focus on games that are almost finished, we won't see a Direct with many new titles unless there's a new console. Smash is a major attraction so it gets more time, we'll probably see another Direct before Bayonetta 3 releases. That's the thing with Nintendo; because they do Directs more often, they don't need to save up as much for E3. It's not as special as with the other companies, who rarely if ever put on a show.

I don't need to see "many" new titles, but I expect at least one announcement each Direct. I guess Mario Party qualifies, it's just not a game I can get excited about. I don't have friends or family over enough to make party games more than a curiosity, sadly. Maybe when my daughter is a bit older, party games will be more interesting for me.

Honestly I think I'm just a bit annoyed at how much time was spent on Smash. I get it, it's the Switch's big hitter and it will sell consoles. But I wish it had been split up with a deeper dive as a separate video, which would have given us a more balanced Direct. For example, the trailer at the beginning for that mech game had no chat with the developer, which past Directs tended to do. I don't want to just watch trailers; that's not what makes Directs special. Again, as I said before the E3 Direct was fine, but it was definitely the most boring of all the Directs (in my opinion of course) since the Switch first launched.

6 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'd buy it! :P I had the same thought when I saw that.

Snoke And Sacrifice sounds like the background story that the The Last Jedi haters are calling for. It's not high at all on my list of movies/books/whatevers I'd like to see, but I'd watch/read it nontheless. I'd be psyched for movies about Xizor, Obi-Wan, Knights Of The Old Republic, R2-D2... Or just something entirely new that we never saw before, like whatever Rian Johnson is going to make.

I grabbed it. It's as hard as I expected which means I'll play it for 15 minutes and never touch it again. But hey, I now own a piece of history! It's Miyamoto's first game that he directed!

Just like with Super Mario Bros., it's mostly a game to play when you just want something to do for a few minutes. I like The Pinball Arcade for that too.

Completing games is a young man's game, you're not drawing me into your trap!

Seriously though, I don't even want to get into my Switch backlog. Let's just say it's "formidable" and leave it at that.

BOOOOOOOH! Commit, write down the list!

I don't need to see "many" new titles, but I expect at least one announcement each Direct. I guess Mario Party qualifies, it's just not a game I can get excited about. I don't have friends or family over enough to make party games more than a curiosity, sadly. Maybe when my daughter is a bit older, party games will be more interesting for me.

Honestly I think I'm just a bit annoyed at how much time was spent on Smash. I get it, it's the Switch's big hitter and it will sell consoles. But I wish it had been split up with a deeper dive as a separate video, which would have given us a more balanced Direct. For example, the trailer at the beginning for that mech game had no chat with the developer, which past Directs tended to do. I don't want to just watch trailers; that's not what makes Directs special. Again, as I said before the E3 Direct was fine, but it was definitely the most boring of all the Directs (in my opinion of course) since the Switch first launched.

I thought I'd be more into Super Mario Party, but if Smash has a single player story/challenge mode of some kind then I'm probably more excited for that since I don't have people over that often to play videogames any more. Party was one of the things I was excited to see a new version of a year ago, but seeing how little use Kart got in the past year... I'd be better to focus on games I could play solo or just with the missus.

25 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Snoke And Sacrifice sounds like the background story that the The Last Jedi haters are calling for. It's not high at all on my list of movies/books/whatevers I'd like to see, but I'd watch/read it nontheless. I'd be psyched for movies about Xizor, Obi-Wan, Knights Of The Old Republic, R2-D2... Or just something entirely new that we never saw before, like whatever Rian Johnson is going to make.

SW Clone Wars showed Xizor's race... not sure if you knew that. I know you haven't seen SW Rebels but I couldn't remember if you had seen SW Clone Wars.

Anyway, yeah I agree about the priority of said currently-fake-but-potentially-real-in-the-future SW movie.

Just like with Super Mario Bros., it's mostly a game to play when you just want something to do for a few minutes. I like The Pinball Arcade for that too.

I played it this morning and I was proud that I made it to the 3rd level. I can see why it was such a hit... in 1981 it must have been amazing. Anyway, I stink at it but it's a solid game, and the port is cool. One thing that bugs me in the port is that it takes forever to try to connect when I'm offline. Maybe I need to manually turn off WiFi or something?

BOOOOOOOH! Commit, write down the list!

Maybe. I'm not promising anything though.

Spoiler

1103184.jpg?b64lines=IEkgQ0FOJ1QgUFJPTUl

I thought I'd be more into Super Mario Party, but if Smash has a single player story/challenge mode of some kind then I'm probably more excited for that since I don't have people over that often to play videogames any more. Party was one of the things I was excited to see a new version of a year ago, but seeing how little use Kart got in the past year... I'd be better to focus on games I could play solo or just with the missus.

I think Story Mode is a longshot, since only ONE game in the entire series has it, and the last entry removed it. But I would love to have one. Having a solo story or even a challenge mode would make my interest level in Party or Smash rise a lot. Right now, they're both in the "I know I'm SUPPOSED to get this game, but I really don't care about it" category.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:36 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Reveal hidden contents

Skypeace

Fortnite*

Shaq Fu

Bloody Zombies

Saturday Morning RPG

Fallout Shelter*

Kitten Quest

Lego Marvel 2

Riptide Renegade

Frederick 2

Robonauts

King of Fighters 98

Astro Bears Party*

Frederick 1

Mecho Tales

Plague Road

Namco Museum*

Pokemon Quest*

Bloodstained 

Hyrule Warriors

Pinball Arcade*

NBA Playgrounds

Metal Slug 3

Green Game

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

No Thing

Rocket League

Splatoon 2

Doom

Mario Kart 8

Morphite

Stern Pinball Arcade*

Lichtspeer

Steamworld Dig 2

Lego City

Zelda

Steamworld Dig 1

Thumper

Hollow

Snake Pass

LA Noire

Black Hole

Sonic Mania

Vroom in the Night Sky

Knight Terrors

Vaccine*

Violett

Bayonetta

Sparkle 2

Oh Sir*

Over Top

Super Mario Odyssey

World of Goo

Pinball FX3*

Implosion

Red Game

Gear Club

Blaster Master

Mighty Gunvolt

Don't Knock Twice

Graceful Explosion Machine

Unbox

Astro Deul*

Fast RMX

Mr Shifty

Kid Tripp

Sonic Forces

Shovel Knight

Magician Lord

Rudymical

Kamiko

Retro City Rampage

So 31 of my 72 owned Switch games have been completed. Take out 10 that have no discernible way of finishing them (ie, endless runners, online only shooters, etc.) and you're up to 31 out of 62, thus meaning I've only completed half my Switch games. So honestly, not doing that good on the ratio. I could throw in all the library games I've rented and finished though, like Arms, FIFA 18 (if you count winning the season as finishing it though), and so on, but even then, if I count them I'd have to count the ones I didn't bother finishing because I didn't like them, and there'd be more of them than the ones I finished.

This is going to be bad...

I'll follow your formatting.

Spoiler

Kamiko

Little Inferno *

Human Resource Machine

I am Setsuna

World of Goo (story complete)

Sonic Mania

PuyoPuyo Tetris

Death Squared

Rive: Ultimate Edition

Overcooked! Special Edition

Has-Been Heroes

Super Bomberman R

Oxenfree

Blaster Master Zero

Stick It to the Man

NBA Playgrounds (how do you consider this game "completed" by the way?)

Tumblestone

Bulb Boy

Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds Overdrive

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (completed the 50cc cups)

Rayman Legends

Bayonetta

Mutant Mudds Collection

The Bridge

Steamworld Dig 2 (story complete)

Subsurface Circular

Snake Pass

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Bayonetta 2

Mighty Gunvolt Burst

Never Stop Sneakin'

Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap

Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition

Super Mario Odyssey (story complete)

Picross S (Picross levels completed, Mega Picross levels 75% complete)

Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle

MegaMan Legacy Collection 2

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 (100% complete)

LEGO City Undercover

Dragonball Xenoverse 2

LABO Variety Kit (all Toy-Cons created and played with for a while)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (story complete but DLC not completed)

Bridge Constructor Portal

Ikaruga

West of Loathing

Hollow Knight

Golf Story

Splatoon 2

Arcade Archives: Donkey Kong *

Since I have sworn off free-to-play games, I don't have any of them on the Switch. Anyway, I have completed 9 out of 47 "complete-able" games, which is about what I expected. And that backlog is only going up, since I'm grabbing a few games from the current sale. My backlogs on other platforms are far, far worse. I guess it's true what they* say, no matter how bad you think your backlog is, somebody else has a worse one!

I probably need to remove some games from my backlog, since in all likelihood, I'll never touch games like Sonic Mania or Overcooked again. Some games just don't draw me in. Also, in my defense, I play my platforms pretty equally (besides the X1, which just collects dust), so I'm not spending tons and tons of time on the Switch.

* Disclaimer: Nobody actually says this.

• Like 1

@MosesRockefeller

Oxenfree, Bulb Boy and Phantom Breaker are all fun, and neither hard nor long.

I'm curious, why did you buy Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 but not 1?

I too will probably not return to Sonic Mania soon. I got until the final boss but didn't have enough lives left to figure out the best way to beat it, and I just couldn't bring myself to go through the whole final world again.

Meanwhile, I've gotten farther in L.A. Noire, I played some more pinball and I finished Frederic 1.

Games I will buy in the next month or so:

Mario Tennis Aces (already downloaded)

Flashback and Another World on their first sales, probably (never played the former, liked the latter on PS4)

Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1

Sonic The Hedgehog

Captain Toad

The Banner Saga trilogy, possibly.

I know the whole "no Virtual Console except for subscription rentals" is a bit of a bummer, but honestly I still have a working SNES and N64, and it seems like many devs are juat re-releasing their own old games these days so depending on Nintendo is less of an issue. Still would have liked to see Nintendo's first party SNES/N64/GC games on the Switch though.

3 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

@MosesRockefeller

Oxenfree, Bulb Boy and Phantom Breaker are all fun, and neither hard nor long.

I'm curious, why did you buy Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 but not 1?

I too will probably not return to Sonic Mania soon. I got until the final boss but didn't have enough lives left to figure out the best way to beat it, and I just couldn't bring myself to go through the whole final world again.

Thanks for the tips.

I got Mega Man LC2 but not 1 for two reasons:

1. I have LC1 on 3DS and don't see a need to re-buy it. Honestly 8-bit graphics look better on 3DS.

2. I am curious if 16-bit and later graphics will get me into the series more. 8-bit just doesn't draw me in anymore. Honestly the X Collection is likely to be a better purchase for me.

Sonic Mania was my latest and hopefully final attempt to get into the classic Sonic gameplay. It failed spectacularly. I hated it. It proved to me that I was right to pick Mario over Sonic all those years ago.

2 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Thanks for the tips.

As the kids these days say, "ur wlcm".

I only now notice Death Squared on your list. Great game, not too long either, and added bonus that it's divided into pretty short levels. Great "just one more" puzzle game.

I got Mega Man LC2 but not 1 for two reasons:

1. I have LC1 on 3DS and don't see a need to re-buy it. Honestly 8-bit graphics look better on 3DS.

2. I am curious if 16-bit and later graphics will get me into the series more. 8-bit just doesn't draw me in anymore. Honestly the X Collection is likely to be a better purchase for me.

Yeah, sounds about right. I'm going for Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1, the firdt Mega Man X game is really the only game in the series I really liked but I haven't played any of its sequels. I bought the Mega Man Legacy Collection 1, more out of curiosity I guess.

Sonic Mania was my latest and hopefully final attempt to get into the classic Sonic gameplay. It failed spectacularly. I hated it. It proved to me that I was right to pick Mario over Sonic all those years ago.

I like Sonic, even if I like Mario a lot more. Sonic Mania is probably my favourite Sonic game, but even that wouldn't be given the time of day by me if we had Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3 on the Switch.

24 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

As the kids these days say, "ur wlcm".

You're trying to trigger my "I'm not a Millennial, stop lumping me in with them" complex, aren't you? :P

For the record I don't think it's fair to blame an entire generation for the actions of its "representatives", and the Millennial generation is WAY too wide to be accurate... but I do think there is some truth to the stereotypes and jokes. But I don't think it's accurate to call a 38-year-old like me AND my 26-year-old sister both Millennials. We have very little in common.

I only now notice Death Squared on your list. Great game, not too long either, and added bonus that it's divided into pretty short levels. Great "just one more" puzzle game.

I was doing fine and enjoying the game until I hit level 16 and got stuck. I really didn't want to use a walkthrough so I stopped playing it. It's a shame, because I was enjoying it pretty well before I got stuck. This problem is fairly common for me with puzzle games, sadly. Sometimes I have trouble "thinking with portals."

I like Sonic, even if I like Mario a lot more. Sonic Mania is probably my favourite Sonic game, but even that wouldn't be given the time of day by me if we had Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3 on the Switch.

I wish I could like Sonic, but I hate the gameplay. It's too fast-paced for me to enjoy it. I can't see where I'm going, and that isn't fun for me. It's one step removed from an endless runner for me, and I've already made it clear that I hate those. By all accounts, Sonic Mania is a love letter to the fans, but I'm not a fan. I figured it this game couldn't convert me (I've already tried out the original game a few times), nothing could.

Between this and my "need" for in-game maps in Metroidvania games, I probably come off as someone with oversensitive tastes. Maybe I am. At this point in my "gaming life" especially, I don't have much patience for things that annoy me. Maybe I would have tolerated or even enjoyed Sonic games as a kid. I only ever played one of the Game Gear versions back then, and the main appeal there was the portable nature of the Game Gear (a sign of things to come, with my love of the 3DS, Vita, and Switch!) and not the actual games. Anyway, I have no problem saying Sonic isn't for me, or the Souls games aren't for me, or any number of other "unpopular" gaming opinions. Life's too short to worry about forcing myself to like a game because it's "supposed to be" good.