Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

1 minute ago, soniq said:

That's probably the reason they haven't announced the physical version if one is actually being worked on. Would make sense to me to wait until the game is complete with all expansions before selling cartridges to collectors. 1f604.png

I'd say that makes a lot of sense.  One random day they'll probably announce details on both the DLC and the physical copy at the same time, and make me one happy dude. ?

47 minutes ago, soniq said:

Cool, more free DLC is a good thing. I saw on the Team Cherry website that they're also adding controller remapping, which is neat. I think the existing controls are perfect, but it's good to give players more options.

I think Hollow Knight is the best value for money on the Switch right now. I am amazed at just how big this game is, and I don't think I've even touched the DLC stuff yet (it's hard to tell since I'm playing blind).

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I think Hollow Knight is the best value for money on the Switch right now. I am amazed at just how big this game is, and I don't think I've even touched the DLC stuff yet (it's hard to tell since I'm playing blind).

... Stardew Valley.

... Not arguing against Hollow Knight, just saying I know of another cheap indie game that can keep you going for dozens of hours and which has free updates.

Looking at deals like that, I sometimes think about how the hell Kirby was €60 instead of €40.

Anyways I'm moving through Captain Toad and The Banner Saga right now. Captain Toad is lovely, and Banner Saga is excellent. Seeing as many people say Banner Saga 2 is even better, I can see myself getting the entire trilogy before August is over.

Guess I'll play Hollow Knight when it's complete, I haven't played yet beyond my first hour of trying it.

I am having so much fun with Captain Toad lol. Yes I know, I could've gotten it for Wii U(I did but my sister beat it) so I am beating it myself on Switch for the first time lol. The Odyssey levels are awesome cute levels lol.

Anywho, I am enjoying it. I am literally at the end of Episode 3. Hmmm

16 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

... Stardew Valley.

... Not arguing against Hollow Knight, just saying I know of another cheap indie game that can keep you going for dozens of hours and which has free updates.

Looking at deals like that, I sometimes think about how the hell Kirby was €60 instead of €40.

Anyways I'm moving through Captain Toad and The Banner Saga right now. Captain Toad is lovely, and Banner Saga is excellent. Seeing as many people say Banner Saga 2 is even better, I can see myself getting the entire trilogy before August is over.

Guess I'll play Hollow Knight when it's complete, I haven't played yet beyond my first hour of trying it.

Ah yeah, I sometimes forget about Stardew Valley since it doesn't appeal to me and I haven't thought about it since it launched.

I know you realize this, but Kirby was 60 because it's a first party game and not a port. :)

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying Captain Toad. I tried Banner Saga 1 on PS4 and didn't care for it. The art style was cool but the gameplay didn't do it for me.

Hollow Knight really gels a few hours in. If it doesn't grab you by the time you finish the first area, it's probably not for you. Also, it has lots of cool attentions to detail, some of which I've only discovered after weeks of playing. I always enjoy discovering new bugs and seeing their animations.

Speaking of discoveries in HK:

Spoiler

I didn't discover until I got my 8th area map, but the guy who needs to be found to unlock the map for that area, leaves loose papers on the ground as breadcrumbs to find him, since he's busy making his map. What a cool little detail.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Hollow Knight really gels a few hours in. If it doesn't grab you by the time you finish the first area, it's probably not for you. Also, it has lots of cool attentions to detail, some of which I've only discovered after weeks of playing. I always enjoy discovering new bugs and seeing their animations.

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't discover until I got my 8th area map, but the guy who needs to be found to unlock the map for that area, leaves loose papers on the ground as breadcrumbs to find him, since he's busy making his map. What a cool little detail.

I had a real love/hate thing for Hollow Knight when I first started it (on PC).  The mix of difficulty with no real direction made me give up almost a few times.  Kinda like my feelings towards the Souls games, I was more concerned about where or when I'd get stuck (on a hard boss or not knowing where to go next) than excited about it.  Once I started finding more areas and getting more charms/abilities to make traversal and combat more fun though, I become more adamant about seeing/beating anything the game had to offer.

Speaking generally, if you hate the game after the first area, then it probably just isn't for you.  If you're intrigued but frustrated after the first area, I suggest sticking it out.  It gets better.

Edited by Dreakon13

33 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I had a real love/hate thing for Hollow Knight when I first started it (on PC).  The mix of difficulty with no real direction made me give up almost a few times.  Kinda like my feelings towards the Souls games, I was more concerned about where or when I'd get stuck (on a hard boss or not knowing where to go next) than excited about it.  Once I started finding more areas and getting more charms/abilities to make traversal and combat more fun though, I become more adamant about seeing/beating anything the game had to offer.

Speaking generally, if you hate the game after the first area, then it probably just isn't for you.  If you're intrigued but frustrated after the first area, I suggest sticking it out.  It gets better.

Yeah, I know what you mean. There have been a few bosses where I gave up, put down a map marker, and decided to come back with better abilities (probably MUCH later in the game). I got my first focus pool upgrade a while back, and just got my first health upgrade last night, so that's helpful. Recently I found an area called "Spirits something" or "something Spirits" that has over a dozen "ghost" bosses you can fight, and I tried what I assumed was the easiest one... that seems like an end-game area (probably DLC too). I'm getting better at knowing when to come back later for a fight.

I hate everything being compared to Dark Souls (I've seen "this game is Souls-Like" in reviews so often that it's lost almost all meaning), especially since I have never gotten into the series. But for the 5-10 hours I played Bloodbourne, I can see how the early-game frustration of Hollow Knight is similar, especially with the tendency to lose all your Geo (which is worse in HK if it's in an area with complicated pathing to where you died, or if you haven't bought the map for that area yet).

It would be interesting if the game kept track of how much Geo you have lost by dying before getting back to your "ghost". I'm pretty good about reclaiming Geo from my ghost now, but only a few days ago I lost around 1500 Geo, which is enough for at least one substantial upgrade. I was pretty annoyed at myself for exploring too far with an "unclaimed ghost" and not using the "quit cheat" (quitting the game when you have low health, to avoid dying and losing Geo).

One thing I think the game really gets right, is making different areas feel unique. The heavy vegetation area feels very different from the beginning area which feels different from the mine area (Crystal Mines I think?) which feels different from Darknest.

Another interesting thing is the order of the upgrades (I'm not sure if the game allows sequence breaking like some Metroidvanias do).

Spoiler

I'm surprised that I haven't unlocked a high jump or double jump yet, after exploring 9 areas pretty thoroughly. I haven't actually compared it to other Metroidvanias but it seems like one or both of those are usually an early to mid-game upgrade. Maybe I'm close, or maybe the game doesn't have a high or double jump ability! Some of the vertical shafts I've seen that seem to be accessible via high/double jump have ended up being opened from above, using a secret passage for example.

40 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Another interesting thing is the order of the upgrades (I'm not sure if the game allows sequence breaking like some Metroidvanias do).

Hide contents

I'm surprised that I haven't unlocked a high jump or double jump yet, after exploring 9 areas pretty thoroughly. I haven't actually compared it to other Metroidvanias but it seems like one or both of those are usually an early to mid-game upgrade. Maybe I'm close, or maybe the game doesn't have a high or double jump ability! Some of the vertical shafts I've seen that seem to be accessible via high/double jump have ended up being opened from above, using a secret passage for example.

I'll be honest, I thought the EXACT same thing as I was playing originally.  I couldn't spoil anything if I wanted to... I played the game over a year ago and a ton of games since then so I don't remember as much about it as I'd like xD... but it's possible that it doesn't have one, or maybe something different but similar.

Edited by Dreakon13

55 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'll be honest, I thought the EXACT same thing as I was playing originally.  I couldn't spoil anything if I wanted to... I played the game over a year ago and a ton of games since then so I don't remember as much about it as I'd like xD... but it's possible that it doesn't have one, or maybe something different but similar.

I could look up a list of abilities easily enough in a walkthrough, but I am enjoying playing the game mostly blind. I did look up a PNG map of the entire playable area, but I didn't spoil very much of the game, and I've only looked at it briefly.

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Ah yeah, I sometimes forget about Stardew Valley since it doesn't appeal to me and I haven't thought about it since it launched.

I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did. You might be pleasantly surprised if you try it.

I know you realize this, but Kirby was 60 because it's a first party game and not a port. :)

Captain Toad is first party and not a port too. That is to say, it was already 40 when it was first on the Wii U. 

But yeah, AAA games in general are just asking for 60-65 these days regardless of actual average playtime or budget. It's weird in a way. Except for movies in a theatre (where you're actually paying not just for the movie but for theatre maintenance and loads of other stuff, so it makes sense there) I don't really know anything with such a generalised release price system. 

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying Captain Toad. I tried Banner Saga 1 on PS4 and didn't care for it. The art style was cool but the gameplay didn't do it for me.

The art and story have me hooked. I'm not a big fan of the gameplay but it's not bad, but I enjoyed South Park: The Fractured But Whole and Mario + Rabbids as well regairdless of the genre (which is kinda similar to Banner Saga even though Banner Saga is serious and the other two are tongue in cheek).

Hide contents

It's not that I didn't like it, I just have other stuff to play too. I finished a whole bunch of smaller games first, like Subsurface Circular, Frederic 2 and Semispheres. Now it's Captain Toad and Banner Saga, after that, who knows. I've pre-ordered Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 and I'm probably going to continue in either Rayman Legends or L.A. Noire, both of which can be fun in small bursts. And I want to continue on Bayonetta.

Maybe I should just not buy new games for a while... No, that's crazy talk.

And how did you not see the pages earlier? I just walked around a bit in the first area while trying Hollow Knight and I wasn't paying lots of attention but even I spotted the paper trail and heard the scribbles. :)

Edited by Ezio Auditore

37 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did. You might be pleasantly surprised if you try it.

I never played any Harvest Moon games, and from what I've seen of them, I don't think they're for me. So Stardew Valley seems like a longshot. That said, you're right of course, but I think it's a pretty slim chance.

Captain Toad is first party and not a port too. That is to say, it was already 40 when it was first on the Wii U. 

Captain Toad IS a port... it was on the Wii U first, as you mentioned in your reply. That's what I meant, that first party Wii U ports haven't gotten the price jacked up from the original retail. So far Nintendo hasn't made a $40 Wii U game (at release of course; in 2018 that game is likely to be $20) cost $60 on Switch, to my knowledge. I don't think third party ports have increased in price either, but I am not certain. By contrast, every "truly new "first party game I can think of, is $60 regardless of content. On the Wii U, Nintendo often utilized the $40 price point for "smaller" games (such as Captain Toad). Outside of Wii U ports, I haven't seen Nintendo do that on Switch. Sushi Striker comes to mind, but that was $50 (which I guess is the new $40 for Nintendo). To summarize, my point was that Nintendo seems to be pricing almost all of their first party games at $60, regardless of how much content the game has. Maybe it's not a completely new trend, but it does seem markedly different from pricing in the Wii U era. I think it is less noticeable on PSN and Xbox because a majority of those games still tend to drop in price fairly quickly. Maybe making nearly every first party game $60 is Nintendo's way to distinguish their games from indies that often go higher than $20.

It's not that I didn't like it, I just have other stuff to play too. I finished a whole bunch of smaller games first, like Subsurface Circular, Frederic 2 and Semispheres. Now it's Captain Toad and Banner Saga, after that, who knows. I've pre-ordered Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 and I'm probably going to continue in either Rayman Legends or L.A. Noire, both of which can be fun in small bursts. And I want to continue on Bayonetta.

Maybe I should just not buy new games for a while... No, that's crazy talk.

Ha, I know that all too well. I haven't even started a bunch of my smaller games.

And how did you not see the pages earlier? I just walked around a bit in the first area while trying Hollow Knight and I wasn't paying lots of attention but even I spotted the paper trail and heard the scribbles. :)

I definitely heard the scribbling (at least if I didn't have the sound too quiet), but I didn't realize those white things were papers until just recently. I always saw them, but I didn't know what they were. I had always thought they were bug guts or something, and didn't correlate their proximity to the map guy.

Chalk it up to my all-too-frequent lack of perception.

24 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

P.S. @MosesRockefeller did you notice Ghost 1.0? It's a MetroidVania that just released on the Switch, was on PC/X1 two years ago. It had some good reviews back then. I just saw it on the eShop while checking new releases, first I've heard of it.

I did see it in the eShop, but I got the impression that it was a less-polished, more mediocre Metroidvania. Games like Axiom Verge and Hollow Knight have spoiled me, so I'm not interested in games that don't play as well. Maybe that's an unfair assessment. If you get it, let me know what you think.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I never played any Harvest Moon games, and from what I've seen of them, I don't think they're for me. So Stardew Valley seems like a longshot. That said, you're right of course, but I think it's a pretty slim chance.

Same exact thing I thought, I basically bought the game because of the slim chance I liked it and because I felt like €14 was low enough to sponsor a person following his dream of making a game.

Captain Toad IS a port... it was on the Wii U first, as you mentioned in your reply. That's what I meant, that first party Wii U ports haven't gotten the price jacked up from the original retail. So far Nintendo hasn't made a $40 Wii U game (at release of course; in 2018 that game is likely to be $20) cost $60 on Switch, to my knowledge. I don't think third party ports have increased in price either, but I am not certain. By contrast, every "truly new "first party game I can think of, is $60 regardless of content. On the Wii U, Nintendo often utilized the $40 price point for "smaller" games (such as Captain Toad). Outside of Wii U ports, I haven't seen Nintendo do that on Switch. Sushi Striker comes to mind, but that was $50 (which I guess is the new $40 for Nintendo). To summarize, my point was that Nintendo seems to be pricing almost all of their first party games at $60, regardless of how much content the game has. Maybe it's not a completely new trend, but it does seem markedly different from pricing in the Wii U era. I think it is less noticeable on PSN and Xbox because a majority of those games still tend to drop in price fairly quickly. Maybe making nearly every first party game $60 is Nintendo's way to distinguish their games from indies that often go higher than $20.

I think you misunderstood. I meant Captain Toad was €40 back on its first release. I never had a Wii U but I expected most AAA titles to still be 60, I've heard of Captain Toad and Donkey Kong being the exceptions (and Donkey Kong was upped by 10 when it got to Switch).

And I want to draw the line broader than Nintendo. All PS4 and X1 titles are 60-65 too, not including smaller exclusives like Golf Story for Nintendo or Cuphead for X1 or Flower for PSes. The whole problem with No Man's Sky was they lied about the game's contents and tried to pull a 60 price too, no one would have made as big a fuss if the game had been 30-40.

I did see it in the eShop, but I got the impression that it was a less-polished, more mediocre Metroidvania. Games like Axiom Verge and Hollow Knight have spoiled me, so I'm not interested in games that don't play as well. Maybe that's an unfair assessment. If you get it, let me know what you think.

I'm not as big a MetroidVania fan as you are, I was hoping you had picked it up and could tell me more ?

General other topic, not necessarily directed at you... By the by, I honestly thought Bloodstained: Curse Of The Moon only had five stages. Imagine my surprise...

I started Mario Tennis Aces and Disease: Hidden Object.

OMG MARIO TENNIS IS AMAZING. I played for a couple hours and already level 22 lol.

Disease I am in part 3? Kinda scary game. There was a part where a eye was peeking through a whole in a wall and scaried me lol

17 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I think you misunderstood. I meant Captain Toad was €40 back on its first release. I never had a Wii U but I expected most AAA titles to still be 60, I've heard of Captain Toad and Donkey Kong being the exceptions (and Donkey Kong was upped by 10 when it got to Switch).

And I want to draw the line broader than Nintendo. All PS4 and X1 titles are 60-65 too, not including smaller exclusives like Golf Story for Nintendo or Cuphead for X1 or Flower for PSes. The whole problem with No Man's Sky was they lied about the game's contents and tried to pull a 60 price too, no one would have made as big a fuss if the game had been 30-40.

I forgot Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze was bumped up to $60.

Maybe I need to clarify. I was trying to comment on how Nintendo in the 3DS and Wii U era, left themselves more wiggle room in pricing. Perhaps it was due to their experimenting with smaller games. But in any case, they had things like Box Boy for $5 on the 3DS. There were numerous examples of those games on Wii U and 3DS, and so far that hasn't happened on Switch. Maybe the $40 Wii U games were rare and I'm remembering wrong. They certainly weren't the norm, but I thought there were far more than 2. In any case, in the previous generation, HAL Labs and Intelligent Systems cranked out lots of budget gems in between their big AAA games. They haven't done that on the Switch yet. If they eventually do it will be interesting to see if the price point stays the same or jumps up.

PS4 and X1 titles start at $60 also, but they drop much faster. Horizon Zero Dawn is already $40 standard for the complete edition, and the original game has only been out a little over a year. And that's one of PS4's "premier" games. Meanwhile, Breath of the Wild (which came out around the same time) costs $80 for the complete edition. There's a difference there.

Anyway, I'm not trying to just complain about Nintendo pricing. It's never actually put me off a purchase. I can afford it and 99% of the time, the game is worth $60. But I have noticed a pattern here.

Also, side note about No Man's Sky... I think at a $40 price it would have still gotten a lot of complaints. The game was hyped to the ends of the universe (which was a combination of fan expectations and developer promises). The price was a factor in the complaining, but the expectations were there regardless. As we've both noticed with Star Wars and pretty much everything, complaining about everything has increased to a fever pitch. It wasn't quite as bad when No Man's Sky released, but it was approaching the point we're at now. Also, at least Sean Murray has kept patching the game, with this new patch apparently being pretty close to what fans were expecting at the beginning. I do think the game should have been $40 when it came out and marketed as a "work in progress" type of situation, but I guess that's a bad business move.

On 7/18/2018 at 10:57 AM, Dreakon13 said:

Spoiler

Last night I got the double jump ability... so it IS in the game. It's a "wing" ability, where the second jump uses wings. I played another game that had winged-double-jump, but I can't remember what it is. Hmm... maybe I'm thinking of Bayonetta? I know that's not a platformer, but it has a similar graphical effect for the double jump.

On 7/18/2018 at 4:08 PM, Ezio Auditore said:

I'm not as big a MetroidVania fan as you are, I was hoping you had picked it up and could tell me more 1f605.png

I read a review of Ghost 1.0, and looked at some screenshots. I am somewhat interested, but I don't like the art style. It looks like there wasn't much effort or money put into it, which makes sense as I think it's a small development team. Still, small teams can create creative art on a low budget, and this game doesn't have that.

Honestly I think I will get Yoku's Island Express before I consider getting Ghost 1.0. I know you played Yoku already, but I haven't. I like the art style in it. Games like that, Hollow Knight, and even Axiom Verge have interesting art styles. To me that is worth a little more since it doesn't look "cheap."

Not to sound shallow, but a good presentation makes a difference to me when spending money on new games. That's why I mentioned Axiom Verge, because it is blocky and retro, but it's interesting to look at.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

21 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Honestly I think I will get Yoku's Island Express before I consider getting Ghost 1.0. I know you played Yoku already, but I haven't. I like the art style in it. Games like that, Hollow Knight, and even Axiom Verge have interesting art styles. To me that is worth a little more since it doesn't look "cheap."

Not to sound shallow, but a good presentation makes a difference to me when spending money on new games. That's why I mentioned Axiom Verge, because it is blocky and retro, but it's interesting to look at.

It's a shame it's not on Switch or even Playstation... I doubt there are many Xbox users around... but if you have a decent PC or something, look up the game Ori and the Blind Forest.  Amazing Metroidvania.  The only game I'd put it below is Hollow Knight, but it's a very close second as far as my favorites go.  Hollow Knight just gets the edge because I found it more difficult, which made me feel a bit more invested overall (though Ori is considered fairly challenging too, just a little less combat oriented and more platforming).

Edited by Dreakon13

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

It's a shame it's not on Switch or even Playstation... I doubt there are many Xbox users around... but if you have a decent PC or something, look up the game Ori and the Blind Forest.  Amazing Metroidvania.  The only game I'd put it below is Hollow Knight, but it's a very close second as far as my favorites go.  Hollow Knight just gets the edge because I found it more difficult, which made me feel a bit more invested overall (though Ori is considered fairly challenging too, just a little less combat oriented and more platforming).

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually bought a Xbox One a couple years ago (mostly to play Sunset Overdrive), and I bought and finished Ori and the Blind Forest. I loved it. The most challenging parts for me were the few sections where you had to flee the "owl of death". I didn't get 100% completion, or even close to it, and I also did not play any of the new content in the "definitive" edition. I see that the sequel is still PC/X1 exclusive, unlike what happened with Tomb Raider. Hopefully it will come to Switch one day, but I'll probably still get it day one on Xbox to have an excuse to turn it on again. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I read a review of Ghost 1.0, and looked at some screenshots. I am somewhat interested, but I don't like the art style. It looks like there wasn't much effort or money put into it, which makes sense as I think it's a small development team. Still, small teams can create creative art on a low budget, and this game doesn't have that.

Oh Yoku's Island Express is a great game and regardless of how good Ghost 1.0 could be once we get into it, I'm going to recommend picking up Yoku first. It's not too long but it's fun, unique, sweet, and its graphics and music are very well done. I thought it was very much worth its full price.

Seriously, go pick up Yoku. Most of the MetroidVania games I see you play are pretty combat oriented, this is a great game to break it up for a bit as all "combat" and "platforming" is pinball related and super fun, even if you're not into regular pinball machines.

Did you ever play forma.8 by the way? It's also been on PS+, and is another MetroidVania with polished graphics.

On 7/21/2018 at 3:11 AM, Ezio Auditore said:

Did you ever play forma.8 by the way? It's also been on PS+, and is another MetroidVania with polished graphics.

I played a bit of it on Vita. I need to go back to it. I liked what I played, but it didn't get me addicted like say Axiom Verge or Hollow Knight. 

I've played a few minutes of Mega Man X, the collections have released. Looks and feels good, and it's going to take effort on my part to keep focus on Banner Saga 1 and Captain Toad. I'm glad, what with Nintendo not doing a Virtual Console like I want, that there are companies like CAPCOM who re-release their own SNES games. And if they hadn't fucked up the pricing for the Street Fighter collection, I'd have bought that one too. With a price like this, it needs to get a 50% discount before I'm even considering buying it.

Really enjoying both Banner Saga 1 and Captain Toad. I enjoy both more than I thought I would.