Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

21 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Decided to spend a few minutes on the eShop yesterday and just browsed through the whole list of releases. Found a few interesting things to put on my wishlist like Agatha Knife (linking to Steam as it has the most information about it) and also saw that Pnantom Breaker: Battle Grounds is available for the Switch. :dance:

I was always a bit curious about this game as I like those side-scrolling beat 'em ups from time to time. After hearing that LRG would bring out a physical version for PS4 and Vita I first thought about going for any of those but due to their price politics this would cost me at least $40 (with shipping included) and I honestly don't think that it's worth that much money, even if comes with all the DLC. I also saw that it was available on the european PSN but either I would have to get the vanilla version for the Vita or the enhanced version for PS4 but including the DLC characters that would either cost me ~15€ for the Vita-version or ~20€ for PS4. Seeing that it only costs 8€ on Switch and comes with all DLC right from the start it was a no-brainer to get it there.

Would have done the same with Icey but I got that on PS4 instead thanks to that Double Digital-sale in the US PSN. :D

I've bought Agatha Knife but I've put focus on other games. It looks funny though.

I've bought Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds way back on the X360. Wanted to buy it when it was supposed to come out on PS4 but it never got released on the EU shop. Eight euros on Switch was a steal, I bought it right away and did one playthrough already.

21 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Also decided to order Super Mario Odyssey yesterday. :dance: I hope I have much more enjoyment with this than with  Kirby Star Allies. It surely looks nice but it feels like the least challenging Kirby I ever played. Kirby-games are rather easy overall in their story-mode (with the occasional difficulty spike when it comes to the last boss) but here it feels like there's no need to think in advance or plan out your abilities as you always have the required abilities nearby when you want to get collectibles etc :facepalm: And I'm in the middle of the second world and already have more than 40 lives. This just make me thing that the whole ordeal of collecting 1-ups is quite anachronistic and IMO more platformers should follow a similar approach to the current Rayman-games: No lives but well-placed checkpoints. I assume the game will also unlock a hard/challenge mode once I finish the story but honestly I don't feel like playing this a second time.

Kirby was fun, I thought, but I've never played Kirby games for the challenge (except NG+ on Kirby's Dream Land), even so Star Allies was super easy, only had a death or two near the end. Personally I could do with a harder new Mario game though.

55 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I've bought Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds way back on the X360. Wanted to buy it when it was supposed to come out on PS4 but it never got released on the EU shop.

That part confused me. For me it's visible on the german store but when checking the dutch one via PSPrices I can't find it. So this link doesn't work for you?

https://store.playstation.com/#!/cid=EP0745-CUSA02665_00-PBBG0APPLICATION

Like I said with the DLC they charge a bit more than 20€ (22.46€ to be exact), or 10.99€ for the base game only. But they already dropped the price. Initially they wanted 20.99€ for the base game alone but it seems like they dropped the price after releasing the Switch-version.

1 hour ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Kirby was fun, I thought, but I've never played Kirby games for the challenge (except NG+ on Kirby's Dream Land), even so Star Allies was super easy, only had a death or two near the end. Personally I could do with a harder new Mario game though.

Normally I don't play Kirby-games for the challenge either but somehow it doesn't motivate me at all. There's barely anything to explore and it feels like you can't mess up at all. And about Mario: Difficulty ain't a thing I really care about. I mainly want to have a fun time exploring the hopefully quirky worlds. :D

1 hour ago, Crimson Idol said:

And about Mario: Difficulty ain't a thing I really care about. I mainly want to have a fun time exploring the hopefully quirky worlds. :D

You should love it then. The interesting worlds is one of SMO's strong points. Most of the criticism it got is from people wanting a harder game. Personally I loved it, and there is a gauntlet part as a bonus level that ranks up there with the hardest Mario levels of all time. I still haven't beaten that one.

On 8/4/2018 at 9:49 PM, MarkusT1992 said:

Normally Amazon will just send a replacement. My preorder of AC Origins didn't arrive so I send them a message and got a replacement without problems.

For them it's cheaper to just send it again. In many cases you can even keep things you want a replacement for. I read that Amazon destroys many of it's returns. Especially when you are a Prime member. They don't want to risk losing a customer.

But still, it sucks when such things happen.

Yeah, they are shipping a replacement that arrives today which isn't bad considering the original arrived on Saturday.

I have had other issues in the past which were always resolved satisfactorily, but this is the first time I got a empty game case. I guess they probably keep track of possible fraud, so if I sent back 5 empty game cases in a single year for example (saying they all arrived empty), they might stop giving me the benefit of the doubt. Anyway, I've been using Amazon since 2001, and this is the first time I got an opened game or DVD/Blu-ray/CD. In fact I don't think I ever failed to get a shipment either. One time a Amazon.co.uk import order didn't come within its delivery window, and they sent a replacement. Then I got both shipments, and they just told me to keep them both due to the expense of sending one back.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:26 AM, Ezio Auditore said:

Makes me recall the guy thinking he bought a PS4, when if he had correctly read the wording of the eBay article he should have noticed he was only buying the PS4's box.

I've done a wee little bit of South Park: The Fractured But Whole and it looks good. I've already played it on PS4 so I'm in no rush to get through it, so now I'm playing it when my wife watches so she can work on her English, which she needs for her major (I want to make it clear at this point that I don't have a wife who is a weird number of years younger than me, she's just taking a follow-up bachelor to her earlier study).

I'll get The Stick Of Truth on the Switch too, even though I've already 100%ed it on X360 on release and on PS3 after I switched to team PlayStation, and even though I still have the PS4 free Fractured pre-order version to get through. I just think the games are that funny. I'll wait until it's €10 or so though.

Picross S 2 is great again. So many hours of puzzling for a cool price.

Banner Saga 2 has me right in making difficult choices again. Great games.

Captain Toad has so much content, I think it's really worth its price. Cool game, and thanks @MosesRockefeller for reassuring that it would be a good buy.

Ha, I've noticed the empty boxes on eBay for games and Amiibo and stuff. I guess they're appealing to the collectors out there. That PS4 guy learned a valuable lesson though - a PS4 selling for $20 (or whatever it was) is too good to be true. :P

Sometimes I get the same incorrect assumptions about my wife even though we're the same age. In her case it's usually due to her short height. Her English is actually very good, especially considering it's her second language. With our kid turning 5 next year, I'm sure grammar corrections will be delivered for any violations. :)

I'm enjoying Picross S2 also. I finished my first Clip puzzle and I'm close to finishing the second one.

You're welcome for the Captain Toad recommendation. I would like to see a sequel or spiritual successor (e.g. a game with similar gameplay but starring a different Nintendo character). The original Wii U version of the game ended with an intro to Super Mario 3D World, but I read that the Switch/3DS ports ends with an intro to SMO instead. I hope that doesn't mean Nintendo is moving on from Super Mario 3D World. I still think it would be a good Switch port, especially in the lull between SMO whenever we get the next new Mario game.

I finished the main story in Rayman Legends (i.e. the level that rolls the credits at the end). I unlocked the bonus world and played the first level there, which was a new musical chase level. The rest of the levels are all "8-bit" versions of the musical chase levels, but I haven't tried them yet. I also have a lot of Back to Origins and Murphy's Touch levels to play. I haven't unlocked all the locked levels, but I should unlock several more with scratch tickets. I don't plan on 100%ing the game, but I will at least play all the levels that are unlocked. This game has a ton of content. I'm glad I got it.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

3 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

That part confused me. For me it's visible on the german store but when checking the dutch one via PSPrices I can't find it. So this link doesn't work for you?

https://store.playstation.com/#!/cid=EP0745-CUSA02665_00-PBBG0APPLICATION

Like I said with the DLC they charge a bit more than 20€ (22.46€ to be exact), or 10.99€ for the base game only. But they already dropped the price. Initially they wanted 20.99€ for the base game alone but it seems like they dropped the price after releasing the Switch-version.

My bad, must be just Holland then. Nope, link comes up with an error.

3 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Normally I don't play Kirby-games for the challenge either but somehow it doesn't motivate me at all. There's barely anything to explore and it feels like you can't mess up at all. And about Mario: Difficulty ain't a thing I really care about. I mainly want to have a fun time exploring the hopefully quirky worlds. :D

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

You should love it then. The interesting worlds is one of SMO's strong points. Most of the criticism it got is from people wanting a harder game. Personally I loved it, and there is a gauntlet part as a bonus level that ranks up there with the hardest Mario levels of all time. I still haven't beaten that one.

I could've done with a general higher difficulty but Super Mario Odyssey is still cool. But higher difficulty would've meant I would have played it more often. And there's too many moons lying around, they're practically meaningless.

Ha, I've noticed the empty boxes on eBay for games and Amiibo and stuff. I guess they're appealing to the collectors out there. That PS4 guy learned a valuable lesson though - a PS4 selling for $20 (or whatever it was) is too good to be true. :P

Actually, he pretty much bid a PS4 new price there. 

Sometimes I get the same incorrect assumptions about my wife even though we're the same age. In her case it's usually due to her short height. Her English is actually very good, especially considering it's her second language. With our kid turning 5 next year, I'm sure grammar corrections will be delivered for any violations. :)

We get some confusion in real life even though I'm only a year older, on my part because I cut my hair short and grow a beard, on her part because she's skinny and keeps her hair long. It's weird though hearing someone referred to me as "the guy with the beard and the young wife"...

I'm enjoying Picross S2 also. I finished my first Clip puzzle and I'm close to finishing the second one.

Think we're about as far then. I might stall a bit because I want to get back to Banner Saga.

You're welcome for the Captain Toad recommendation. I would like to see a sequel or spiritual successor (e.g. a game with similar gameplay but starring a different Nintendo character). The original Wii U version of the game ended with an intro to Super Mario 3D World, but I read that the Switch/3DS ports ends with an intro to SMO instead. I hope that doesn't mean Nintendo is moving on from Super Mario 3D World. I still think it would be a good Switch port, especially in the lull between SMO whenever we get the next new Mario game.

I guess there's going to be either a 2.5D Mario like New Bros or a linear 3D Mario like 3D World next year.

I finished the main story in Rayman Legends (i.e. the level that rolls the credits at the end). I unlocked the bonus world and played the first level there, which was a new musical chase level. The rest of the levels are all "8-bit" versions of the musical chase levels, but I haven't tried them yet. I also have a lot of Back to Origins and Murphy's Touch levels to play. I haven't unlocked all the locked levels, but I should unlock several more with scratch tickets. I don't plan on 100%ing the game, but I will at least play all the levels that are unlocked. This game has a ton of content. I'm glad I got it.

Those ginal levels aren't really 8-bit though, but I'll let you figure it out for yourself.

I got 100% on PS4 now, just the online challenges grind to go. Got it on Switch too but my focus lies with Banner Saga and L.A. Noire and other stuff.

15 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Actually, he pretty much bid a PS4 new price there.

Damn, that sucks for him. According to my friend who used to sell stuff on eBay, eBay almost always favors the buyer in disputes, so I'm guessing that guy got his money back, but either way I'm sure he learned to be more observant in the future. I have to give the seller some respect for an attempt to make a cool buck or 300. :awesome:

18 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I guess there's going to be either a 2.5D Mario like New Bros or a linear 3D Mario like 3D World next year.

Speaking of New Bros, I read this over the weekend: https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/11/8/16621744/the-best-mario-games. That list is crazy! I was reading it thinking "okay, this isn't my order, but I can respect the logic behind it". Then I got to number 1, and no, just no. I understand the logic as they explain it as combining elements from past entries. That's true enough, but the game doesn't have a "spark" to it. It feels bland and lifeless. Odyssey also had lots of references to past games, but it did it in a core package that felt new and exciting. I think New U needs to be the end of that series, definitely.

All that said, I think we're on the same page here. I'd be fine with a new 2D/2.5D game if it feels like a new game. I'd also be fine with ports (or a port compilation) of the New Bros series, but I don't think I'd play them again. A linear 3D game would be cool too. I'm not sure a sequel to Odyssey is really needed, but I think after a few years, it could be time for a new 3D game that takes inspiration from Odyssey and past games.

31 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Those ginal levels aren't really 8-bit though, but I'll let you figure it out for yourself.

I got 100% on PS4 now, just the online challenges grind to go. Got it on Switch too but my focus lies with Banner Saga and L.A. Noire and other stuff.

I figured they might not be really 8-bit. I can't see that working with the hand drawn look of the UbiArt engine.

Man, I can't imagine getting 100% level completion in the game. Congratulations!

Speaking of LA Noire, it's on sale for $24 now (retail, not digital, unfortunately for me). That's pretty tempting. Yeah, I have the PS3 version but the Switch is just so convenient to play on the go.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Damn, that sucks for him. According to my friend who used to sell stuff on eBay, eBay almost always favors the buyer in disputes, so I'm guessing that guy got his money back, but either way I'm sure he learned to be more observant in the future. I have to give the seller some respect for an attempt to make a cool buck or 300. :awesome:

I think the advert actually said empty box in the text somewhere. And as with all dumb losers sharing their story in newspapers, people were lining up to help him as the PS4 was foe his kid and it was most of their savings and dumb shit like that. You'd think people would be more careful if they had that little to spend.

Speaking of New Bros, I read this over the weekend: https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/11/8/16621744/the-best-mario-games. That list is crazy! I was reading it thinking "okay, this isn't my order, but I can respect the logic behind it". Then I got to number 1, and no, just no. I understand the logic as they explain it as combining elements from past entries. That's true enough, but the game doesn't have a "spark" to it. It feels bland and lifeless. Odyssey also had lots of references to past games, but it did it in a core package that felt new and exciting. I think New U needs to be the end of that series, definitely.

All that said, I think we're on the same page here. I'd be fine with a new 2D/2.5D game if it feels like a new game. I'd also be fine with ports (or a port compilation) of the New Bros series, but I don't think I'd play them again. A linear 3D game would be cool too. I'm not sure a sequel to Odyssey is really needed, but I think after a few years, it could be time for a new 3D game that takes inspiration from Odyssey and past games.

As I find myself moving away from AAA, I also find myself beeding Nintendo first party games less and less. Just give me a good new F-Zero and I'm happy, I could do without a new Mario for a while as I've got better platformers now - funny and cheery in Rayman Legends, challenging in Shovel Knight, Celeste and some others.

I figured they might not be really 8-bit. I can't see that working with the hand drawn look of the UbiArt engine.

Play and see, but take note that there's just one new level in there, the rest is "8-bit" versions of a few other levels. I'll let you find out, not daying anything more.

Gloo gloo, gloo gloo gloo...

Man, I can't imagine getting 100% level completion in the game. Congratulations!

It's not that tough, but thanks. Main levels are mostly easy if you just look around for the teensies. Two or three invaded paintings gave me some trouble, but not too much after I checked a youtube vid of someone who's not an insane speedrunner with moves I couldn't reproduce.

Seeing how you talk about platformers, it might be a bit too annoying for you, but just do what I do - a level or five a week 100%, and move on from invaded if you don't get close enough thw first few tries. You'll end up with a level or ten in the end that you can cannonball in one hate-filled frenzy.

Speaking of LA Noire, it's on sale for $24 now (retail, not digital, unfortunately for me). That's pretty tempting. Yeah, I have the PS3 version but the Switch is just so convenient to play on the go.

I know you aren't 100% digital yet, but I'd say let it slide. Rockstar often has sales so it'll be digital on sale again before too long. And in my opinion, L.A. Noire is perfect to just play one case of and then move on to something else. At least for me, since I've played through it a few times already. You might want to play through it all in one go, and replay it some time later for the 100%.

Just promise to right at the start, turn graphics to black and white and turn all form of hints off.

Buyers win disputes 99.9% of the time, that's why scams are so rampant on there. I got scammed once on there a long time ago when I sold something and they returned it, but not the item I sent them, and I couldn't do anything about it.

46 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I think the advert actually said empty box in the text somewhere. And as with all dumb losers sharing their story in newspapers, people were lining up to help him as the PS4 was foe his kid and it was most of their savings and dumb shit like that. You'd think people would be more careful if they had that little to spend.

That sounds about right. People love sob stories. If the fake PS4 was most of his savings, how was he planning on buying any games? Were they just going to play through a bunch of demoes? Dumb people are always interesting.

As I find myself moving away from AAA, I also find myself beeding Nintendo first party games less and less. Just give me a good new F-Zero and I'm happy, I could do without a new Mario for a while as I've got better platformers now - funny and cheery in Rayman Legends, challenging in Shovel Knight, Celeste and some others.

I hear you, but there's something special about Mario, Zelda, etc. Mario especially reminds me of playing SMB 1 on NES 30 years ago. Also, I think Nintendo has mostly managed to avoid the pitfalls that have snagged AAA gaming lately.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not moving away from AAA, but I pay more attention to which games I get. I do love indies though, as you know. Also, doesn't Rayman Legends count as a AAA game? :)

Play and see, but take note that there's just one new level in there, the rest is "8-bit" versions of a few other levels. I'll let you find out, not daying anything more.

Gloo gloo, gloo gloo gloo...

Yeah, I already played the one new level. It looks like that has a "8-bit" level, and the rest appear to be "8-bit" versions of the remaining musical levels at the end of each "world".

It's not that tough, but thanks. Main levels are mostly easy if you just look around for the teensies. Two or three invaded paintings gave me some trouble, but not too much after I checked a youtube vid of someone who's not an insane speedrunner with moves I couldn't reproduce.

Seeing how you talk about platformers, it might be a bit too annoying for you, but just do what I do - a level or five a week 100%, and move on from invaded if you don't get close enough thw first few tries. You'll end up with a level or ten in the end that you can cannonball in one hate-filled frenzy.

I think it would be too annoying for me. I don't have any desire to get 100% completion in the game. I'll probably get 100% in the first world and call it a day. I've done that in the past - 100% completion in the first world of Super Mario 3D World, and I think I only got 100% completion in one world of Super Mario Odyssey.

It's pretty rare that a game motivates me to go for collectibles and such these days. I had a trend going in Assassin's Creed (Platinum in 3, Liberation, IV, Unity, and Syndicate), and I always 100% LEGO games (except Worlds, which bored me since I'm not a creative type), but for the most part I don't feel a need to do it even for games I really like.

I know you aren't 100% digital yet, but I'd say let it slide. Rockstar often has sales so it'll be digital on sale again before too long. And in my opinion, L.A. Noire is perfect to just play one case of and then move on to something else. At least for me, since I've played through it a few times already. You might want to play through it all in one go, and replay it some time later for the 100%.

Just promise to right at the start, turn graphics to black and white and turn all form of hints off.

Good points. I think this is a new low for the price however, and it's on a sale where it's priced the same as PS4/X1, which is a change (it was $10 more than PS4/X1 at release, both digital and physical).

I don't think I've ever changed graphics filters from the beginning of a game, but you may be onto something here to give it a more "noire" feel. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've played any "black and white" games, except for maybe an indie or two. Hmm. It makes me think of old B&W movies that Ted Turner colorized (with horrible results) on TV back in the 80's to appeal to modern viewers (probably the same crowd that wants stretched widescreen versions of 4:3 movies and shows from the past).

In other news, I see there is a Smash Bros Direct on Wednesday. I hope there is a surprise or two (i.e. a game announcement) in there. I don't care about Smash, and I probably won't even watch it. I know, I'm in the minority of Nintendo fans who doesn't like Smash, but there it is.

6 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, they are shipping a replacement that arrives today which isn't bad considering the original arrived on Saturday.

I have had other issues in the past which were always resolved satisfactorily, but this is the first time I got a empty game case. I guess they probably keep track of possible fraud, so if I sent back 5 empty game cases in a single year for example (saying they all arrived empty), they might stop giving me the benefit of the doubt. Anyway, I've been using Amazon since 2001, and this is the first time I got an opened game or DVD/Blu-ray/CD. In fact I don't think I ever failed to get a shipment either. One time a Amazon.co.uk import order didn't come within its delivery window, and they sent a replacement. Then I got both shipments, and they just told me to keep them both due to the expense of sending one back.

Like I said for Amazon it's nothing to lose a few $.

I once got an empty DS case sold by a shop through Amazon. I contacted them and got a replacement from them without having to send the case back. They won't/can't risk geting a negative review and losing customers because of it.

I know that Amazon can give you a temporary ban if you exploit your rights with sending back things. I guess it depends on the amount you order how lenient they are.

13 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Buyers win disputes 99.9% of the time, that's why scams are so rampant on there. I got scammed once on there a long time ago when I sold something and they returned it, but not the item I sent them, and I couldn't do anything about it.

Dang, that sucks.

I got nada a couple of times when paying in advance for something so when I now buy from someone who doesn't have a certified store, I only do pick-ups.

12 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That sounds about right. People love sob stories. If the fake PS4 was most of his savings, how was he planning on buying any games? Were they just going to play through a bunch of demoes? Dumb people are always interesting.

The one that took the cake for me was an article about a woman here whose dad was a garbage truck worker and found a bag of some foreign paper money, worth about a thousand euros in total. He gave it to his daughter who's a single mother, and she took it to the bank to trade it, which would take the bank a day or two to process. When she came back the bank refused to pay her for some legit reason, I forget what (possibly fake bills or the bills being tagged for theft or something), but she went to the newspaper and they made a whole sob story out of it,with a picture along with it of the woman and her boy with big green eyes, and how she had been so excited that she already spent the €50 she had of her welfare check for the rest of the month.

Never mind that, oh I don't know, IT'S NOT THEIR FUCKING MONEY TO BEGIN WITH and they should have reported it to the police.

I hear you, but there's something special about Mario, Zelda, etc. Mario especially reminds me of playing SMB 1 on NES 30 years ago. Also, I think Nintendo has mostly managed to avoid the pitfalls that have snagged AAA gaming lately.

It's gradually for me. I never was a huge Zelda fan, but Breath Of The Wild was much better than I thought it would be and I would probably be actively excited for a new Zelda. Mario is a bit oversaturated for me, it's going to take something big to get me excited again.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not moving away from AAA, but I pay more attention to which games I get. I do love indies though, as you know. Also, doesn't Rayman Legends count as a AAA game? :)

Rayman Legends isn't first party though. I still play some AAA games, but less so than a couple of years ago, and I also care less about first party games.

Loving Ubisoft though, they're on a roll for me for a few years now. Already pre-ordered both Starlink for Switch and Assassin's Creed Odyssey for PS4.

I think it would be too annoying for me. I don't have any desire to get 100% completion in the game. I'll probably get 100% in the first world and call it a day. I've done that in the past - 100% completion in the first world of Super Mario 3D World, and I think I only got 100% completion in one world of Super Mario Odyssey.

I don't always go for 100% either but Rayman Legends was a lot of fun in that regard. I have a few games on 100% completion on the Switch, not many though.

It's pretty rare that a game motivates me to go for collectibles and such these days. I had a trend going in Assassin's Creed (Platinum in 3, Liberation, IV, Unity, and Syndicate), and I always 100% LEGO games (except Worlds, which bored me since I'm not a creative type), but for the most part I don't feel a need to do it even for games I really like.

I'm still doing it for Assassin's Creed games but I've gotten bored of LEGO games. Doesn't help that it was never that great for me and I just got them so my wife would play along with something.

I don't think I've ever changed graphics filters from the beginning of a game, but you may be onto something here to give it a more "noire" feel. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've played any "black and white" games, except for maybe an indie or two. Hmm. It makes me think of old B&W movies that Ted Turner colorized (with horrible results) on TV back in the 80's to appeal to modern viewers (probably the same crowd that wants stretched widescreen versions of 4:3 movies and shows from the past).

Black and white in L.A. Noire has an added bonus on the Switch in handheld mode that b/w makes the colours blend together less, so everything's easier to see.

And seriously, all hints off. No hand-holding with chimes and rumbles and music altering, dare to make a mistake or two as you fumble through your investigation.

In other news, I see there is a Smash Bros Direct on Wednesday. I hope there is a surprise or two (i.e. a game announcement) in there. I don't care about Smash, and I probably won't even watch it. I know, I'm in the minority of Nintendo fans who doesn't like Smash, but there it is.

I'm with you, especially as people have less time to come over and play Nintendo for an afternoon - when people come over these days we do non-electronic gaming.

I may not even go for Mario Party right away at this point, and I've always liked that one.

I believe Dead Cells comes out today and review sites are loving it.  The bits and pieces I played from Steam's early access, the game is the most solid rogue-like Metroidvania money can buy.  Doesn't necessarily seem like the "experience" that a game like Hollow Knight is, but as far as gameplay goes, it's super solid.  Be curious to hear people's thoughts on the full release if anyone gets it.  I have the Switch physical copy preordered, but it doesn't come out until August 21st.

Edited by Dreakon13

On 8/5/2018 at 6:26 PM, Ezio Auditore said:

I'll get The Stick Of Truth on the Switch too, even though I've already 100%ed it on X360 on release and on PS3 after I switched to team PlayStation, and even though I still have the PS4 free Fractured pre-order version to get through. I just think the games are that funny. I'll wait until it's €10 or so though.

Here's hoping it either comes with a discount or is completely free to us season pass holders, that would add a good lot more value to the SP.

17 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

All I'm excited for is the announcement of the rumoured follow up Direct that won't be Smash related. I physically could not care less about Smash, if I had never heard of the series before and someone told me the premise, the intrigue I'd have would be more care than I have for the series right now. Just don't like it. 

Mind you, announce PS All-Stars 2 and I'm there, so you think you're in the minority? I'm in the minority of the minority, the minority that doesn't like Smash, AND liked All-Stars.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Here's hoping it either comes with a discount or is completely free to us season pass holders, that would add a good lot more value to the SP.

Free would be too much wishful thinking in my opinion, since it's not been mentioned in advance so it wasn't a reason to buy the game or season pass like it was with the PS4 pre-orders.

But the Switch's eShop has one big advantage over the Sony online store, and that's the ability to give any game a discount for an account that has purchased any number of other games. I'd think it's reasonable to expect either a discount for TFBH buyers, or a very low price to begin with.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

All I'm excited for is the announcement of the rumoured follow up Direct that won't be Smash related. I physically could not care less about Smash, if I had never heard of the series before and someone told me the premise, the intrigue I'd have would be more care than I have for the series right now. Just don't like it. 

Mind you, announce PS All-Stars 2 and I'm there, so you think you're in the minority? I'm in the minority of the minority, the minority that doesn't like Smash, AND liked All-Stars.

I'd rather have a non-Smash Direct right now, Smash is months away but looking like this it seems there's nothing at all planned before Super Mario Party.

5 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I don't always go for 100% either but Rayman Legends was a lot of fun in that regard. I have a few games on 100% completion on the Switch, not many though.

Two things here:

1. I played the first "8-bit" level, and it brought a smile to my face. The fisheye view definitely makes it harder, but I like the 8-bit part.

2. I tried the first "shadow Rayman" invasion level in the first world. Those levels can fuck right off. I got to like the third room after many, many attempts and these levels do not appear to have any checkpoints. That rules out 100% for me right there, if I wasn't already leaning that way. I just don't have that kind of patience. I seem to recall someone saying Origins and Legends were too easy. I'll admit I'm not a platforming god, but good grief that statement is a load of bullshit just in terms of those invasion levels.

Anyway, it's still a great game, and I think it's cool that it has way harder levels to challenge players looking for a challenge... but that is not me.

5 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Black and white in L.A. Noire has an added bonus on the Switch in handheld mode that b/w makes the colours blend together less, so everything's easier to see.

And seriously, all hints off. No hand-holding with chimes and rumbles and music altering, dare to make a mistake or two as you fumble through your investigation.

Screw it, I ordered it. I was talking to two guys on my team on Friday, one of whom is a Xbox gamer and one of whom is a non-gamer. The gamer colleague brought a spare Xbox One to work for our "IT break room" and the non-gamer guy has been messing around with GTA5. Talking with them about it made me remember some of the more memorable missions (e.g. the heist missions), and damn it made me itch for another Rockstar game. Since I never got far in LA Noire, this will do for now. Hell, maybe Rockstar will use the success of the port to justify porting some GTA games or RDR1 to Switch. I can dream, right?

I'll try hints off and see how it goes. I think this is the kind of game where that could work for me.

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I believe Dead Cells comes out today and review sites are loving it.  The bits and pieces I played from Steam's early access, the game is the most solid rogue-like Metroidvania money can buy.  Doesn't necessarily seem like the "experience" that a game like Hollow Knight is, but as far as gameplay goes, it's super solid.  Be curious to hear people's thoughts on the full release if anyone gets it.  I have the Switch physical copy preordered, but it doesn't come out until August 21st.

I'm interested in the game, but I'm not a big fan of rogue-likes. I really liked Rogue Legacy at first, but I ragequit when I got to the "final" boss and never looked back. On the other hand, I really liked The Swindle. So I think it depends on the implementation of the rogue-like elements for me. I'd also like to hear impressions on Dead Cells to help me decide whether I'll probably enjoy it or hate it.

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Ha, PS All-Stars, the game that used the phrase "Battle Royale" before it became a fad! (Yes, I know battle royale was a common story idea in movies/TV/comics before that, but PS All-Stars was a game before Fortnite and PUBG). I played the game long enough on Vita to get 6 trophies. It was cool to see Metal Gears invade a stage (which Smash Brawl did too I think), but at the end of the day it couldn't change the fact that I hate suck at and hate fighting games.

21 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I'd rather have a non-Smash Direct right now, Smash is months away but looking like this it seems there's nothing at all planned before Super Mario Party.

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Two things here:

1. I played the first "8-bit" level, and it brought a smile to my face. The fisheye view definitely makes it harder, but I like the 8-bit part.

Just you wait until the last of those levels... Heheheh. We'll talk later, I think.

2. I tried the first "shadow Rayman" invasion level in the first world. Those levels can fuck right off. I got to like the third room after many, many attempts and these levels do not appear to have any checkpoints. That rules out 100% for me right there, if I wasn't already leaning that way. I just don't have that kind of patience. I seem to recall someone saying Origins and Legends were too easy. I'll admit I'm not a platforming god, but good grief that statement is a load of bullshit just in terms of those invasion levels.

Anyway, it's still a great game, and I think it's cool that it has way harder levels to challenge players looking for a challenge... but that is not me.

Rest assured that the three or so invasion levels that made even me sweat, were Shadow Rayman levels.

These paintings are completely optional as you have already played through the main game, but they provide great fun for someone like me who occasionally just feels like it's awesome a platforming level can be so annoying that they are crusing and shouting at the screen and themselves.

Good times.

I'd say all of these are doable in the end, though, but getting the actual 100% requires a bit of commitment to the cause.

Screw it, I ordered it. I was talking to two guys on my team on Friday, one of whom is a Xbox gamer and one of whom is a non-gamer. The gamer colleague brought a spare Xbox One to work for our "IT break room" and the non-gamer guy has been messing around with GTA5. Talking with them about it made me remember some of the more memorable missions (e.g. the heist missions), and damn it made me itch for another Rockstar game. Since I never got far in LA Noire, this will do for now. Hell, maybe Rockstar will use the success of the port to justify porting some GTA games or RDR1. I can dream, right?

I'll try hints off and see how it goes. I think this is the kind of game where that could work for me.

Have fun! L.A. Noire is really love it or hate it, it all works for you or it's all annoying. I loved it and the Switch marks my fifth playthrough.

I wouldn't say the GTA III trilogy would be out of the question for the Switch, as Rockstar is porting them to everything.

I'm interested in the game, but I'm not a big fan of rogue-likes. I really liked Rogue Legacy at first, but I ragequit when I got to the "final" boss and never looked back. On the other hand, I really liked The Swindle. So I think it depends on the implementation of the rogue-like elements for me. I'd also like to hear impressions on Dead Cells to help me decide whether I'll probably enjoy it or hate it.

I'm no fan of rogue-likes either (even the genre name confuses me as to what it's menat to imply, just like how MetroidVania is half named after a series that mostly is just linear progression games) and I have enough of a backlog to pass on Dead Cells. 

For Poseidon's sake, I still have Hyrule Warriors, that's not even going into all the smaller games I still have unfinished!

41 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Just you wait until the last of those levels... Heheheh. We'll talk later, I think.

Rest assured that the three or so invasion levels that made even me sweat, were Shadow Rayman levels.

These paintings are completely optional as you have already played through the main game, but they provide great fun for someone like me who occasionally just feels like it's awesome a platforming level can be so annoying that they are crusing and shouting at the screen and themselves.

Good times.

I'd say all of these are doable in the end, though, but getting the actual 100% requires a bit of commitment to the cause.

Sure, those levels are doable the same way Super Meat Boy is doable. But I take exception to somebody saying the game is too easy. Again, I'm no platforming god, but can we get rid of this stigma against calling difficult games "hard"? I'm so tired of "git gud, Dark Souls is not hard at all" and "I had no trouble with <insert popular difficult game here>, you must not be very good at games". Jeez. Anyway, I've gotten old enough (and I have enough of a backlog) that I know when something won't be fun for me.

I'll still play all of the Murphy's Touch levels, and see if I can finish the 8-bit world. Once I hit the point where the remaining levels are too frustrating for me, I'll shelf the game. It's still one of the best platformers I've ever played, and I more than got my money's worth even if I skip a handful of the toughest levels.

Have fun! L.A. Noire is really love it or hate it, it all works for you or it's all annoying. I loved it and the Switch marks my fifth playthrough.

I wouldn't say the GTA III trilogy would be out of the question for the Switch, as Rockstar is porting them to everything.

I played two or three cases on PS3, and I enjoyed the detective work. I won't necessarily play it all in one go, but doing a case here and there should be lots of fun.

I think GTA V (and IV) is even port-able for the Switch, if Rockstar wants to put the effort in. Don't forget that the game came out late in the X360/PS3 generation. But 3, Vice City, and San Andreas (and maybe the 2 PSP games that were later ported to PS2) are more likely. They've even been ported to smartphones! They would all look better in portable mode too, considering the age of that engine. Personally I'm one of the people that thinks the 3D GTAs have gotten better with each release.

I'm no fan of rogue-likes either (even the genre name confuses me as to what it's menat to imply, just like how MetroidVania is half named after a series that mostly is just linear progression games) and I have enough of a backlog to pass on Dead Cells. 

For Poseidon's sake, I still have Hyrule Warriors, that's not even going into all the smaller games I still have unfinished!

I understand about the backlog, and I too still have Hyrule Warriors to finish.

As for MetroidVanias, I understand the confusion, but it's fairly straightfoward. Metroid really hit on the "backtracking" formula with Super Metroid. The previous 2 games had some backtracking I think, but the SNES entry was the first one with a map that encouraged going back to previous areas with new upgrades. All games in the series since then have kept to that formula for the most part. Castlevania is a bit different, since to my knowledge it did not have an in-game map and upgrade-locked areas until the PS1 entry Symphony of the Night. After that game, it had some PS2 games I'm not familiar with, and a bunch of GBA and DS entries in the vein of SotN. IIRC, the PS3 Castlevanias don't have much backtracking. So "MetroidVania" refers to Metroids starting with Super Metroid, and Castlevanias including SotN and the GBA and DS games, which means it's most of the Metroid games (all but the first 2) and roughly half of the Castlevanias.

22 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Sure, those levels are doable the same way Super Meat Boy is doable. But I take exception to somebody saying the game is too easy. Again, I'm no platforming god, but can we get rid of this stigma against calling difficult games "hard"? I'm so tired of "git gud, Dark Souls is not hard at all" and "I had no trouble with <insert popular difficult game here>, you must not be very good at games". Jeez. Anyway, I've gotten old enough (and I have enough of a backlog) that I know when something won't be fun for me.

I'll still play all of the Murphy's Touch levels, and see if I can finish the 8-bit world. Once I hit the point where the remaining levels are too frustrating for me, I'll shelf the game. It's still one of the best platformers I've ever played, and I more than got my money's worth even if I skip a handful of the toughest levels.

Well, personally I make a distinction in challenging games with "tough, but fair", when a game has good controls and an obvious internal logic. I won't call the Souls games easy, but they get much easier if you adhere to the internal logic.

The Rayman Legends invasion paintings are hard, but it's very obvious how the developers feel you should progress. So: tough, but fair.

Souls games, Bloodborne and the like may seem overall very tough and while the controls may seem clunky, the game very much runs on "don't blindly attack, but watch the enemy telegraphing its attacks, and if you're too weak you can grind a few levels on easier enemies", so: tough, but fair.

Games like Super Meat Boy and Celeste can be seen as tough but the controls are very responsive and there isn't a lot of ground in between checkpoints (or it's small levels in the case of Super Meat Boy), so: tough, but fair.

I don't like the "git gud" crowd, who bring a good point in a shitty way. Yeah, I'm better than you in platforming. So what? Not everyone can do anything. As with much online stuff, this mentality would be ridiculous if applied to real life. Think of a dentist saying "you just need to git gud" to someone with rotten teath because they didn't brush enough...

zFDxu98.gif

I played two or three cases on PS3, and I enjoyed the detective work. I won't necessarily play it all in one go, but doing a case here and there should be lots of fun.

Don't wait too long in between cases as there's some overarching stuff, and callbacks to earlier cases.

I think GTA V (and IV) is even port-able for the Switch, if Rockstar wants to put the effort in. Don't forget that the game came out late in the X360/PS3 generation. But 3, Vice City, and San Andreas (and maybe the 2 PSP games that were later ported to PS2) are more likely. They've even been ported to smartphones! They would all look better in portable mode too, considering the age of that engine. Personally I'm one of the people that thinks the 3D GTAs have gotten better with each release.

Yeah the Switch is a bit more powerful than X360/PS3 so GTA V should be doable.

I really hope that if we're getting the GTA III trilogy, it won't be ports from the phone versions though, like the X360 got.

As for MetroidVanias, I understand the confusion, but it's fairly straightfoward. Metroid really hit on the "backtracking" formula with Super Metroid. The previous 2 games had some backtracking I think, but the SNES entry was the first one with a map that encouraged going back to previous areas with new upgrades. All games in the series since then have kept to that formula for the most part. Castlevania is a bit different, since to my knowledge it did not have an in-game map and upgrade-locked areas until the PS1 entry Symphony of the Night. After that game, it had some PS2 games I'm not familiar with, and a bunch of GBA and DS entries in the vein of SotN. IIRC, the PS3 Castlevanias don't have much backtracking. So "MetroidVania" refers to Metroids starting with Super Metroid, and Castlevanias including SotN and the GBA and DS games, which means it's most of the Metroid games (all but the first 2) and roughly half of the Castlevanias.

I haven't played all Castlevania games but it feels like less than a fifth of the Castlevania titles are MetroidVania games. Games like the NES Castlevanias or Super Castlevania IV don't seem to have any of the qualifiers for MetroidVania games, and neither do the later Lords Of Shadow games.

I get that Metroid is infused in the genre, but it just seems weird that Castlevania gets in there because of one title they made (everybody only ever mentions Symphony Of The Night, so I don't even know if any other Castlevania game is a MetroidVania).

Which brings me back to the point that "MetroidVania" and "rogue-like" are stupid genre names. That's like saying Guardians Of The Galaxy is a great WarsTrek movie, or that Game Of Thrones is a Rings-lite series. Just think up somethig real and don't refer to one title that might be a codifier but isn't guaranteed to be well-known thirty years from now.

18 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I haven't played all Castlevania games but it feels like less than a fifth of the Castlevania titles are MetroidVania games.

If MetroidVania games only take elements from both series as the name suggests, why would any Castlevania game be a MetroidVania?

Edited by Dreakon13

Well, personally I make a distinction in challenging games with "tough, but fair", when a game has good controls and an obvious internal logic. I won't call the Souls games easy, but they get much easier if you adhere to the internal logic.

The Rayman Legends invasion paintings are hard, but it's very obvious how the developers feel you should progress. So: tough, but fair.

Souls games, Bloodborne and the like may seem overall very tough and while the controls may seem clunky, the game very much runs on "don't blindly attack, but watch the enemy telegraphing its attacks, and if you're too weak you can grind a few levels on easier enemies", so: tough, but fair.

Games like Super Meat Boy and Celeste can be seen as tough but the controls are very responsive and there isn't a lot of ground in between checkpoints (or it's small levels in the case of Super Meat Boy), so: tough, but fair.

I don't like the "git gud" crowd, who bring a good point in a shitty way. Yeah, I'm better than you in platforming. So what? Not everyone can do anything. As with much online stuff, this mentality would be ridiculous if applied to real life. Think of a dentist saying "you just need to git gud" to someone with rotten teath because they didn't brush enough...

zFDxu98.gif

Yeah, "tough but fair" is a decent category. I wish people would say that instead of "Souls-like", especially considering an interview with the Hollow Knight devs where they said Dark Souls was NOT an intentional influence on the game (after everybody called it "Souls-like").

Sometimes I tolerate "tough but fair", and sometimes it annoys me. I played Super Meat Boy and hated it. I haven't tried Celeste and I am not sure if I would tolerate it or not. Frankly, as shallow as it sounds, the graphics turned me off. I tried Bloodborne and while I can understand the appeal, it wasn't for me. The thing I find weird about that series is how "rabid" its fanbase is. That part doesn't make sense to me. I've even seen people say they can't play other games. FFS. But hey, I never thought I'd be embarrassed to call myself a Star Wars fan, but here we are in 2018, with elements of that fanbase harassing actors off social media. Fandom can be a weird thing.

Yeah the Switch is a bit more powerful than X360/PS3 so GTA V should be doable.

I really hope that if we're getting the GTA III trilogy, it won't be ports from the phone versions though, like the X360 got.

Agreed.

I haven't played all Castlevania games but it feels like less than a fifth of the Castlevania titles are MetroidVania games. Games like the NES Castlevanias or Super Castlevania IV don't seem to have any of the qualifiers for MetroidVania games, and neither do the later Lords Of Shadow games.

I get that Metroid is infused in the genre, but it just seems weird that Castlevania gets in there because of one title they made (everybody only ever mentions Symphony Of The Night, so I don't even know if any other Castlevania game is a MetroidVania).

Which brings me back to the point that "MetroidVania" and "rogue-like" are stupid genre names. That's like saying Guardians Of The Galaxy is a great WarsTrek movie, or that Game Of Thrones is a Rings-lite series. Just think up somethig real and don't refer to one title that might be a codifier but isn't guaranteed to be well-known thirty years from now.

You're going to make me do the math here, aren't you? :) If we count all the side games in the Castlevania series, yes it's probably less than half. It was a rough estimate. I actually mentioned it in the post you quoted, but yes, other Castlevanias than SotN are Metroidvanias. Specifically, all the GBA and DS games, which is a pretty decent number.

I'll do the math and come back...

And you may be right about stupid genre names. While we're at it, as I said before, let's stop calling every challenging game "Souls like". We had tough games way before Demon's Souls, and we will have tough games long after that series is forgotten. Everybody seems to like comparing things to another thing these days. I actually HAVE heard GotG called a great Star WarsTrek movie. :)

Okay, by my count 8 Castlevania games were Metroidvanias. SotN, the 3 GBA games, the 3 DS games, and the single 3DS game (which was a prequel in the PS3/X360 series). How much of a percentage of the whole series that makes, depends on which games you count as part of the series. I counted 31 games that were on either home consoles or portables, so that's roughly 1/4 that are Metroidvanias. A few of those games aren't "core" games though, so I'd say it's between 1/3 to 1/4 of the games. So it's less than half but also more than 1/5. Your point arguably still stands though, it's a somewhat odd choice for the genre.

If I had to guess, I'd say the name stuck because SotN was the first high-profile game to adopt the Super Metroid formula, and it was followed up by 7 more Castlevania games with the same gameplay. Plus it's a catchy name. It's not a perfect name, but it makes sense to an extent.

Yeah, "tough but fair" is a decent category. I wish people would say that instead of "Souls-like", especially considering an interview with the Hollow Knight devs where they said Dark Souls was NOT an intentional influence on the game (after everybody called it "Souls-like").

It's because "like" buttons and memes and shit have degraded young people's minds to the point that they can't think of any way to explain anything without comparing it to something else they know.

I wish that was more sarcastic and less cynical than it actually was.

Sometimes I tolerate "tough but fair", and sometimes it annoys me. I played Super Meat Boy and hated it. I haven't tried Celeste and I am not sure if I would tolerate it or not. Frankly, as shallow as it sounds, the graphics turned me off.

Remember how I say I dislike 8-bit stuff and already disliked it back in the day? Yet somehow Shovel Knight still appealed to me?

I thought Celeste looked ugly when I saw the first screenshots too. The music and the reviews made me take the leap, combined with knowing games like Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge positively surprised me.

One of the best leaps I made this year. Great platformer, great music. Story isn't all that to me but it's not bad.

Celeste has been compared to Super Meat Boy quite a bit and it's not really fair. Aside from completely different themes and moods, its gameplay is actually much less brutal and more rewarding.

You might not be able to finish the game before rage-quitting, but I'd advise you to take the leap anyways as you'll be happy to try. I died exactly 1283 times from start up to credits, and I recall someone on here being impressed because they died over 10k times.

Come to think of it, I think Celeste has assist options all the eay up to God Mode, because the devs really want nobody to give up on the story just because the gameplay turned out to be too hard. It'll be no surprise to you I guess that I played the hard way. I like my platformers that way.

I tried Bloodborne and while I can understand the appeal, it wasn't for me. The thing I find weird about that series is how "rabid" its fanbase is. That part doesn't make sense to me. I've even seen people say they can't play other games. FFS. But hey, I never thought I'd be embarrassed to call myself a Star Wars fan, but here we are in 2018, with elements of that fanbase harassing actors off social media. Fandom can be a weird thing.

Yeah, fans can be idiots, especially on the internet. Star Wars fans, Nintendo gamers, PlayStation gamers... So many groups I belong to of which I see other members act out online, and so many other groups I'm not even a part of. There's even subgroups... Try on this site saying that Naughty Dog does not make the best games ever, for instance.

I read both Marvel comics and DC comics. Looking at people online, you'd think that it's not possible for me to exist.

And you may be right about stupid genre names. While we're at it, as I said before, let's stop calling every challenging game "Souls like". We had tough games way before Demon's Souls, and we will have tough games long after that series is forgotten. Everybody seems to like comparing things to another thing these days. I actually HAVE heard GotG called a great Star WarsTrek movie. :)

I like the term Space Opera and I stand by it.

Souls-like, at this point, is used to mean "can't just button-mash your way through enemies". It's silly.

Okay, by my count 8 Castlevania games were Metroidvanias. SotN, the 3 GBA games, the 3 DS games, and the single 3DS game (which was a prequel in the PS3/X360 series). How much of a percentage of the whole series that makes, depends on which games you count as part of the series. I counted 31 games that were on either home consoles or portables, so that's roughly 1/4 that are Metroidvanias. A few of those games aren't "core" games though, so I'd say it's between 1/3 to 1/4 of the games. So it's less than half but also more than 1/5. Your point arguably still stands though, it's a somewhat odd choice for the genre.

If I had to guess, I'd say the name stuck because SotN was the first high-profile game to adopt the Super Metroid formula, and it was followed up by 7 more Castlevania games with the same gameplay. Plus it's a catchy name. It's not a perfect name, but it makes sense to an extent.

Funny enough, at first I typed "less than a fourth", before deciding it was probably even less.

Then again, those DS/GBA games went straight by me.

Still, perhaps the Castlevania games did indeed reach a bigger audience than Metroid. But MetroidVania remains a stupid name for a genre.

So I've just decided that I'm going to buy a Nintendo Switch :D. I'm thinking of getting the console with Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8 and Octopath Traveler. Any recommendations on games and/or accessories I should buy other than the ones I mentioned?

Whoa, 100 pages!

Remember how I say I dislike 8-bit stuff and already disliked it back in the day? Yet somehow Shovel Knight still appealed to me?

I thought Celeste looked ugly when I saw the first screenshots too. The music and the reviews made me take the leap, combined with knowing games like Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge positively surprised me.

One of the best leaps I made this year. Great platformer, great music. Story isn't all that to me but it's not bad.

Celeste has been compared to Super Meat Boy quite a bit and it's not really fair. Aside from completely different themes and moods, its gameplay is actually much less brutal and more rewarding.

You might not be able to finish the game before rage-quitting, but I'd advise you to take the leap anyways as you'll be happy to try. I died exactly 1283 times from start up to credits, and I recall someone on here being impressed because they died over 10k times.

Come to think of it, I think Celeste has assist options all the eay up to God Mode, because the devs really want nobody to give up on the story just because the gameplay turned out to be too hard. It'll be no surprise to you I guess that I played the hard way. I like my platformers that way.

Hmm, I'll take your recommendation under advisement. It is admirable that the devs added customizable assist options. More games should do that.

Yeah, fans can be idiots, especially on the internet. Star Wars fans, Nintendo gamers, PlayStation gamers... So many groups I belong to of which I see other members act out online, and so many other groups I'm not even a part of. There's even subgroups... Try on this site saying that Naughty Dog does not make the best games ever, for instance.

I read both Marvel comics and DC comics. Looking at people online, you'd think that it's not possible for me to exist.

You aren't a real person! Seriously though, I like both Marvel and DC characters. I don't read comics though, so it's mostly TV, movies, and games where I experience them. I find the DC characters more interesting at the end of the day. Sadly there hasn't been an interesting DC live-action movie in many years now, but their animated "straight to video" releases are decent. Nothing they do can compare to the animated TV shows they had under Bruce Timm though; those were solid gold.

The ironic thing is, so many of the legendary comics artists and writers over the years have worked for both Marvel and DC. But fans aren't allowed to like both! Pfft.

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

So I've just decided that I'm going to buy a Nintendo Switch :D. I'm thinking of getting the console with Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8 and Octopath Traveler. Any recommendations on games and/or accessories I should buy other than the ones I mentioned?

If you're going to play docked a lot, you should consider a Pro Controller. I think the Joy-cons are great, but the Pro is definitely more comfortable if you're playing for hours on end on your TV.

I'll leave the recommendations to others. It's so subjective to me. You do have an interesting mix of initial games though. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

If you're going to play docked a lot, you should consider a Pro Controller. I think the Joy-cons are great, but the Pro is definitely more comfortable if you're playing for hours on end on your TV.

Yeah, I'll be playing docked 98% of the time. I was thinking of maybe getting a Pro Controller too, yeah.

4 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'll leave the recommendations to others. It's so subjective to me. You do have an interesting mix of initial games though. :)

Alright :lol:. Yeah, I want to try out some different things. Last I've played on a Nintendo console was probably 8 years ago on the Wii so I want to give some different franchises a go :P. Especially looking forward to Octopath Traveler though, as that looks like it's right up my alley.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Yeah, I'll be playing docked 98% of the time. I was thinking of maybe getting a Pro Controller too, yeah.

Alright :lol:. Yeah, I want to try out some different things. Last I've played on a Nintendo console was probably 8 years ago on the Wii so I want to give some different franchises a go :P. Especially looking forward to Octopath Traveler though, as that looks like it's right up my alley.

The Switch really shines as a handheld (it's a great Vita successor if you aren't a trophy whore), but docked is perfectly legitimate.

I'd say the recommendations will change drastically based on whether you're using the Switch as strictly a PS4 supplement (i.e. you won't buy any multiplatform games for the Switch, only exclusives). If you're like me and buy multiplatform games for it, the available library opens up a lot. Even with exclusives though, it has some great ones. Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild are the "big guns" alongside MK8, but there are way more than that to choose from.