PS3 hdd/ssd/sshd upgrade

hcmode

Hello guys. I have a 500GB ps3 super slim. The hard drive is almost empty cause I only keep a couple of games installed but my ps3 is slow. I've already rebuilt the database and restored the file system in safe mode. Nothing. It's still slow compared to my old 60GB fat model. Would you recommend a hard drive upgrade? Could you recommend any models from your personal experience? I don't really care about the size, a 120GB ssd would be good as well.

From what I've read on the internet ssds are the best but the most expensive (even though the PS3 cannot take full advantage of their hardware). 

If you prefer to recommend me sshds or hdds that's ok too. I'm here for your opinion. Thank you.

10 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

It is a commonly known problem that the Super Slim is slow no harddrive upgrade to the hardware would change that. The only thing it would befit is storage but would not change the layout of the PS3 due to that particular model being made with cheaper parts. 

Hey Dark ? I'm Ronie-Pato in case you haven't noticed! Thanks for your reply. So would you recommend switching to the older slim?

3 minutes ago, Shinobi said:

Hey Dark ? I'm Ronie-Pato in case you haven't noticed! Thanks for your reply. So would you recommend switching to the older slim?

sup mate , yes go with the normal slim console it is the only console out of all of them that have zero to nearly no problems! 

i was actually unaware that the super slim had issues with being slow.

I have been tempted to pick one up recently but reading on this i might go with the normal slim model. To be honest i prefer the look and way the disk draw is on it anyway.

I feel like i am not alone when i say the disk draw on the super slim model looks cheap.

4 hours ago, Penguin_Alex said:

i was actually unaware that the super slim had issues with being slow.

I have been tempted to pick one up recently but reading on this i might go with the normal slim model. To be honest i prefer the look and way the disk draw is on it anyway.

I feel like i am not alone when i say the disk draw on the super slim model looks cheap.

I have a Super Slim and it doesn't feel slow. I don't know what this is about. I heard from some people that their Fat Lady and Slim freeze in Diablo3 or GTA5, but my SS isn't giving any fucks. It only freezed in Dragon Age Origins once.

I don't think the SS looks cheap... I actually like its simplified design. :) The FL was quite ugly imo... I also really hate glossy colors...

People think it's slow because when you have too many things on the HDD the first time you boot the games they're slow, but then the speed becomes normal. But it also happens on Fat and i guess old Slim models. Also, weren't normal Slim models afflicted by severe issues like bluray drives which would suddenly stop reading discs?

ps: never had a single freeze with Diablo III and GTA5 and i played them in 2013, my Fat broke in 2014, go figure.

The only thing I prefer SS over Slim is the manually operated disc tray. Other than that Slim is the best PS3 you can get unless you can get a working Fat model with PS2 support IMO.

4 minutes ago, T87 said:

People think it's slow because when you have too many things on the HDD the first time you boot the games they're slow, but then the speed becomes normal.

Especially in Bethesda games right? ;)

Edited by totallycrushed

8 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

The only thing I prefer SS over Slim is the manually operated disc tray. Other than that Slim is the best PS3 you can get unless you can get a working Fat model with PS2 support IMO.

Especially in Bethesda games right? ;)

Not sure what you're implying but i don't have those games. I was talking about certain digital games. Including stuff like the Uncharted trilogy.

1 minute ago, T87 said:

Not sure what you're implying but i don't have those games. I was talking about certain digital games. Including stuff like the Uncharted trilogy.

Bethesda games are notorious on PS3 since the save file keeps growing and it becomes unplayable after some time. Couldn't finish a few playthroughs because of it.

Also this problem is almost exclusive to the PS3. i.e. a simple small object is glitched in to a wall and you walk away from it and the game won't reset that object ever. The object keeps glitching and moving erratically in the wall and this builds up the save files. And now your 20h playthrough of Skyrim is unplayable.

Don't know if they have the same save file system in the PS4 Skyrim. I hope not.

7 hours ago, Shinobi said:

Hello guys. I have a 500GB ps3 super slim. The hard drive is almost empty cause I only keep a couple of games installed but my ps3 is slow. I've already rebuilt the database and restored the file system in safe mode. Nothing. It's still slow compared to my old 60GB fat model. Would you recommend a hard drive upgrade? Could you recommend any models from your personal experience? I don't really care about the size, a 120GB ssd would be good as well.

From what I've read on the internet ssds are the best but the most expensive (even though the PS3 cannot take full advantage of their hardware). 

If you prefer to recommend me sshds or hdds that's ok too. I'm here for your opinion. Thank you.

My ps4 slowed a little when I got close to filling, the ps3 would as well. It's just the nature of how the operating system works with the hard drive. 

Also HDDs do have a long history of crapping out. It could be a sign of a hardware issue starting in the HDD. 

An upgrade to a new larger hdd would probably fix the issue for $75-120

I don't recommend solid state. It's expensive, and the load times aren't sufficient for the price. Hybrids though seem to have a bit of speed boost. 

But a regular hdd with 1tb would be plenty and is cheaper. 

2 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

My ps4 slowed a little when I got close to filling, the ps3 would as well. It's just the nature of how the operating system works with the hard drive. 

Also HDDs do have a long history of crapping out. It could be a sign of a hardware issue starting in the HDD. 

An upgrade to a new larger hdd would probably fix the issue for $75-120

I don't recommend solid state. It's expensive, and the load times aren't sufficient for the price. Hybrids though seem to have a bit of speed boost. 

But a regular hdd with 1tb would be plenty and is cheaper. 

I don't need a lot of space because, as I said in my previous post, I only keep a couple of games installed so 250gb would be more than enough in my opinion. I haven't checked hdds to be honest (any recommendation is welcome).

As for ssds I found the 120 GB San Disk SSD Plus for 51,99€ and among hybrids the 500GB Seagate ST500LM000 seems quite affordable at only 72€.

What do you think?

Edited by Shinobi

1 hour ago, Shinobi said:

I don't need a lot of space because, as I said in my previous post, I only keep a couple of games installed so 250gb would be more than enough in my opinion. I haven't checked hdds to be honest (any recommendation is welcome).

As for ssds I found the 120 GB San Disk SSD Plus for 51,99€ and among hybrids the 500GB Seagate ST500LM000 seems quite affordable at only 72€.

What do you think?

Any will do, it's up to preference. Just remember the size needs to be 2.5" at 9.5mm or less. 

I'm confused.  The reason you want to upgrade is to make it load faster?  There's not a lot of improvement either way because you are limited by the hardware of the PS3.  You can get faster drives but they are not noticeable in the long run.

If your 500gb is getting full, go up to 1tb or 2tb.

Drives are mainly for storage.

7 hours ago, totallycrushed said:

Bethesda games are notorious on PS3 since the save file keeps growing and it becomes unplayable after some time. Couldn't finish a few playthroughs because of it.

That's the least of the problems with the game on PS3! xD

You can get 5TB 2.5" HDDs, but as most 2.5" HDDs they are 5400RPM, there should be faster with about 2TB. They are all pretty decently priced. Generally the ones with very high or very little capacity are a bit more expensive per GB. The RPM is a pretty decent indicator of how quick the disks are to find shit. Higher cache is usually very good for these disks too, but they are not particularly big. These are by far the cheapest per GB.

There's much faster SSD though, and they are actually getting kinda big these days. I know there's an extremely expensive 4TB model, but it's too expensive to even be an alternative. Same goes for 2TB IMO, but 960GB/1TB isn't too terribly priced, however, it's still quite a lot of money, perhaps closing in on what you paid for your entire PS4. ;p The top of the line in terms of SSD should be the new Samsung EVO 960 series that just released. 850 is great also, but honestly, most SSD should be more than fast enough, just make sure to read reviews to make sure they are not garbage. Usually, if not almost always, the higher the capacity, the faster it is and the "less bottlenecks" it has.

SSHD is pretty cheap compared to SSD and gives you some of the performance benefits. How reliable these works to give you approximately the same performance as SSD is questionable IMO, but I'm sure they work decently enough in most games. 2.5" versions usually come with 8GB SSD cache and is around 1TB. Not that far off the price of the HDDs, like maybe 50% more? While SSD is anything from +100% more than than SSHD to like 400%, so this is definitely a more cheap option if you want some of the benefits of SSD. As people have explained earlier, games might have to load the files once, but will then keep it in the SSD cache for the next time you want to load them. I'm guessing firmware in the SSHD actually matters quite a bit when it comes to performance, so I'd look up reviews for the drive you're looking at.

2 hours ago, MMDE said:

You can get 5TB 2.5" HDDs, but as most 2.5" HDDs they are 5400RPM, there should be faster with about 2TB. They are all pretty decently priced. Generally the ones with very high or very little capacity are a bit more expensive per GB. The RPM is a pretty decent indicator of how quick the disks are to find shit. Higher cache is usually very good for these disks too, but they are not particularly big. These are by far the cheapest per GB.

There's much faster SSD though, and they are actually getting kinda big these days. I know there's an extremely expensive 4TB model, but it's too expensive to even be an alternative. Same goes for 2TB IMO, but 960GB/1TB isn't too terribly priced, however, it's still quite a lot of money, perhaps closing in on what you paid for your entire PS4. ;p The top of the line in terms of SSD should be the new Samsung EVO 960 series that just released. 850 is great also, but honestly, most SSD should be more than fast enough, just make sure to read reviews to make sure they are not garbage. Usually, if not almost always, the higher the capacity, the faster it is and the "less bottlenecks" it has.

SSHD is pretty cheap compared to SSD and gives you some of the performance benefits. How reliable these works to give you approximately the same performance as SSD is questionable IMO, but I'm sure they work decently enough in most games. 2.5" versions usually come with 8GB SSD cache and is around 1TB. Not that far off the price of the HDDs, like maybe 50% more? While SSD is anything from +100% more than than SSHD to like 400%, so this is definitely a more cheap option if you want some of the benefits of SSD. As people have explained earlier, games might have to load the files once, but will then keep it in the SSD cache for the next time you want to load them. I'm guessing firmware in the SSHD actually matters quite a bit when it comes to performance, so I'd look up reviews for the drive you're looking at.

He wouldn't be able to go past 2TB because the ps3 is a fat32 file system. 

Edit:also no idea where you got larger = faster. It can go either way depending on what you buy. I have a 250GB evo pro that definitely boots win7 faster than my 500GB evo. 

He doesn't want much anyway.

I think he'd be happy with a hybrid, boot times have been documented like you said slightly faster

Edited by Dav9834

9 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

He wouldn't be able to go past 2TB because the ps3 is a fat32 file system. 

Edit:also no idea where you got larger = faster. It can go either way depending on what you buy. I have a 250GB evo pro that definitely boots win7 faster than my 500GB evo. 

He doesn't want much anyway.

I think he'd be happy with a hybrid, boot times have been documented like you said slightly faster

Ah, right, about the 2TB shit.

And the faster comment, it's about if it's the same model. Like the 1TB will be faster than the 256GB version of the same "model".

TL:DR,

SSlim is slower than all other iterations, it's uses way less power to produce less performance.

SSHD/Hybrid is best drive for a console right now.

PS3 OS only supports upto 2TB of FAT, not that you cant format above 2TB with FAT. (PS4 is upto 4TB)

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

Ah, right, about the 2TB shit.

And the faster comment, it's about if it's the same model. Like the 1TB will be faster than the 256GB version of the same "model".

Ahh ok ya there's little difference if any then, my bad :facepalm:

1 hour ago, audiopile said:

The HDD on my SS died in a year and I barely used it.  I'd go ssd if you can afford it. Just because it's cooler and quieter, may not be any faster. 

That is really bad luck :(

I'd prefer it to die on day one. 

I think I ran my ps3 day and night for 4 years and the hdd held up. It wasn't slim though. Now I turn it on every now and then because the ps4 and vita have taken its allotted time lol