PS3 hdd/ssd/sshd upgrade

hcmode

I have read mixed things online about whether you can only use 5400rpm hard drives in the PS3 but i have also seen some people saying 7200rpm hard drives work completely fine.

Very tempted to pick up a PS3 Slim cheap and a 1tb 7200rpm HD and see how that goes.

Anyone done anything similar to this, whats results did you have.

6 minutes ago, Penguin_Alex said:

I have read mixed things online about whether you can only use 5400rpm hard drives in the PS3 but i have also seen some people saying 7200rpm hard drives work completely fine.

Very tempted to pick up a PS3 Slim cheap and a 1tb 7200rpm HD and see how that goes.

Anyone done anything similar to this, whats results did you have.

I upped my Fat model PS3s HDD with a 5400rpm since I didn't want to take the risk of overheating the console. Dunno if the Slim or SS "supports" a 7200rpm HDD. But in the end the difference between these disk read speeds on a PS3 are neglectable. I'd go for the 7200.

The only PS console that supports the full speed increase of SATA III SSD drive is the PS4 Pro. All other versions are unfortunately capped by the SATA II hard disk interface. You'll probably still get a nice speed increase but it won't be the full SATA III SSD experience. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jodokast30 said:

The only PS console that supports the full speed increase of SATA III SSD drive is the PS4 Pro. All other versions are unfortunately capped by the SATA II hard disk interface. You'll probably still get a nice speed increase but it won't be the full SATA III SSD experience. 

Thanks Jodo! Hopefully I can get a decent speed increase in the XMB menu  as well as switching from the game to the psn interface to reply to a message. That's incredibly slow at the moment.

40 minutes ago, Shinobi said:

Thanks Jodo! Hopefully I can get a decent speed increase in the XMB menu  as well as switching from the game to the psn interface to reply to a message. That's incredibly slow at the moment.

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

The difference between hybrid drives and solid state dives as speed is concerned is little if any for ps3/ps4. There's a wealth of videos on YouTube showing this. I know you say you don't need the space, but the operating system is going to take its fair share. 120GB is extremely low. I really recommend you think about this a little more. I would use a 120GB just for an operating system, let alone an operating system + games. 

I don't like seeing people waste their money, I highly recommend not getting a ssd :)

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dav9834 said:

120GB is extremely low. I really recommend you think about this a little more. I would use a 120GB just for an operating system, let alone an operating system + games. 

The topic is about the PS3. I have a 1TB drive in my PS3, 931GB useable, that holds ~90 PS3 games and my complete Vita library, which is over 100 games. Still have over 200GB available.

Guess OP would be totally fine with a 120GB SSD in a PS3.

There just is no difference in performance though. I already tried an old 120GB Sata2 SSD in my PS3SS.

It also would be a waste in the original PS4, because the harddrive isn't directly connected via Sata2. It's internally bridged over USB. Honestly, I wouldn't put an SSD in a PS4, because of that.

But I would put an 1TB SSD in a PS4P. :P 

Yes, I have other priorities than other people... While PC people would pick a GTX1080 and take a 240GB SSD for Windows and programms, I would pick a GTX1050TI because it's the best bang for buck 1080p card, and a 1TB SSD for Windows, programs AND games, because the SSD simply gives you more noticeable power than a graphicscard. *shrugs*

I know that the SSD isn't able to show its full potential, BUT... the PS4P REALLY does have Sata3. It IS Sata3 and not some weird USB-hybrid-converter-thingy. MAYBE Sony is going to add SSD support into the firmware, and then you would be happy that you picked an SSD for your PS4P. :P I mean, chances are high. Why else would they bother with Sata3?

On 4/2/2017 at 3:41 PM, Dav9834 said:

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

The difference between hybrid drives and solid state dives as speed is concerned is little if any for ps3/ps4. There's a wealth of videos on YouTube showing this. I know you say you don't need the space, but the operating system is going to take its fair share. 120GB is extremely low. I really recommend you think about this a little more. I would use a 120GB just for an operating system, let alone an operating system + games. 

I don't like seeing people waste their money, I highly recommend not getting a ssd :)

I don't like wasting my money either Dav ?

What would you recommend me then?

I remember that my fat ps3 was not so slow when I replied to messages. I want to move around the menus faster and to reply to messages or chats while I'm in game without having to wait 20 seconds or more for the screen to disappear. 

• Like 1

A regular mechanical hdd shouldn't have it be that slow. I hooked up my ps3 slim, and ya it's laggy/studdering. But besides opening up the psstore(man I forgot how long that took), it wasn't as bad as you say. 

Can you take a video and upload it? (make a secondary dummy account) 

Otherwise we really don't know how slow it actually is in comparison to ours. 

If you're dead set on a new hdd, a hybrid drive would have the speed of the ssd, and the cost of a mechanical, for more space. 

I'm really hoping it's your hdd and not the ps3 itself. I would put as many saves as you can on an external usb, and make sure everything is backed up to ps+ if you have it. 

I just stumbled upon this drive, but it would be sufficient I think(even though I'm not a Toshiba hdd fan, or Seagate for that matter, but we don't have every option for ps3/4(yet)).

500GB Toshiba 2.5-inch SATA III SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive) 6Gbps 5400rpm 64MB cache https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CEZUAC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8j3Lyb60E8TFQ

On 2/4/2017 at 3:57 PM, jodokast30 said:

The only PS console that supports the full speed increase of SATA III SSD drive is the PS4 Pro. All other versions are unfortunately capped by the SATA II hard disk interface.

This is a non-issue on PS3, actually a mechanical drive, an SSHD, an SSD, regardless which you choose it'll have a negligible impact on load times because the game executable usually isn't more than ~4 gigabytes. We're talking about couple seconds difference at most. I opted for SSDs on both my main PS3 and PS4, mainly because it doesn't have moving parts and doesn't in principle slow down with time unlike a mechanical drive, where this is guaranteed.

However, check eg. http://techgage.com/article/sonys-playstation-4-pro-system-performance-hdd-vs-ssd-testing/2/

I've come to the same conclusion clocking things myself, there are no expected differences in load speeds for most games on PS4 (and definitely won't be on PS3) as they in most cases aren't optimized to take advantage of the seek time and IOPS increase of an SSD. Destiny will benefit though, and map loads on GTAV have a VERY noticeable speed increase using an SSD, both on PS3 and PS4. But those are isolated cases.

Back to @Shinobi. You should try the XMB with multiple games. I have a 500GB stock mechanical drive on my SuperSlim PS3, the XMB takes 1-3 seconds to load as it always does on any PS3. If it's taking longer I'd suspect a faulty drive controller, hard drive, or some other hardware failure (because PS3 will swap data during XMB switch). There are no drastic hardware differences between a Slim or a SuperSlim, apart from simplifying the disc drive.

On 2/3/2017 at 1:19 AM, totallycrushed said:

I upped my Fat model PS3s HDD with a 5400rpm since I didn't want to take the risk of overheating the console. Dunno if the Slim or SS "supports" a 7200rpm HDD. But in the end the difference between these disk read speeds on a PS3 are neglectable. I'd go for the 7200.

A 7200RPM (even 10000RPM if they come in 9,5mm form) will increase system power consume by a maximum of two or three watts so the HDD wouldn't have been the reason your fatty went YLOD. One of those myths the less tech savvy gamers liked to believe in :) RPM of a hard drive has absolutely nothing to do with the SATA interface and as such there is no "support" of a specific RPM range in any computer. Higher RPM makes it noisier of course.

3 minutes ago, ars said:

A 7200RPM (even 10000RPM if they come in 9,5mm form) will increase system power consume by a maximum of two or three watts so the HDD wouldn't have been the reason your fatty went YLOD. One of those myths the less tech savvy gamers liked to believe in :) RPM of a hard drive has absolutely nothing to do with the SATA interface and as such there is no "support" of a specific RPM range in any computer. Higher RPM makes it noisier of course.

It didn't YLOD though.

Also I'm a bit tech savvy since I'm an ICT-Technician :D I know my shit.

Edited by totallycrushed

• 2 weeks later...

Go with a 1T or 1.5T SSHD for the PS3 and you should be safe regarding the limitation on size. Of course, I'm talking about the internal drive.  Also, be sure it is 2.5" (laptop) HD so that it fits. I love the hybrid HD.

Regarding the speed, I don't really see too much difference between the fat and slim PS3. Guess my biggest concern is the amount of space left.\

Funny, thought when I got the PS4 a couple of years ago the PS3 would just sit in the corner collecting dust.  But actually I play both about equally - there are so many good games for the PS3 that I would cry if one failed, and yes, I have two PS3s.  xD

Best Buy has a WD external on sale atm for $89.99. Would it work harmoniously with the ps4 external firmware.

WD - Elements Portable 3TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - black

Model: WDBU6Y0030BBK-EESN

• SKU: 5728600

• 7 months later...