Snake Pass coming to PS4, also Switch/Steam/X1

Oobedoob S Benubi

Sumo Digital, developer of (amongst others) LittleBigPlanet3, a few Forza and Sonic games and Disney Infinity 3, are developing a new IP. The game had already been announced for PS4 as well as Steam and X1 and is revealed to be in development for Switch as well now. I could not find any previous thread on the game though so I decided to create one.

Snake Pass is a "snake platformer", where you slither your way across the levels. As a gamer who likes platformers, I think this might make for a compelling, though possibly slow, unique game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw my favorite gaming channel on YouTube post some gameplay of it and fell in love with the game then and there. It's something new and refreshing and I don't really think the slower pace of the game will be a bad thing. In my opinion it'll give you a better opportunity to enjoy the game rather than blasting through the levels quickly. 

Saw this the other day on the eShop. Looks like a fun game, but not a $26 fun game. Could see it being on Plus or Gold, I'd grab it on either, or pick it up on sale, but not worth over 25 bucks, with that I could buy 2 or 3 other solid eShop games that quite possibly offer more on their own.

Mmmmmrrrr I'm really on the fence here. On the one hand it's bright and colourful, advertises itself as a 3D platformer (which I'm really desperate to play) and David Wise composed it (not like the Grant Kirkhope burps and farts music), but I am sick to death of everything being physics based and intentionally wonky to control. Figures the one "platformer" that comes out is physics based. I guess. Yooka Laylee comes out soon but that's really expensive for what it is and I'm not sure if I wanna shell out for it for the time being. I mean the last time I got something that advertised itself as a 3D platformer (The Last Tinker) I was bitterly disappointed (you don't even fucking jump! It's less interactive than Zelda's jumping). But on the other hand the last time I played a physics based platformer I got hooked on it (Grow Home) so I dunno. It's not too expensive so I might give it a go and the production values are very good. 

I'm somewhat unnerved by no review copies being sent out. Games like DOOM, No Man's Sky and Zelda get flack when they don't do review copies or have an embargo but Snake Pass apparently is not high profile enough... I would like to know what people think of this game, what it's actually like.

8 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Mmmmmrrrr I'm really on the fence here. On the one hand it's bright and colourful, advertises itself as a 3D platformer (which I'm really desperate to play) and David Wise composed it (not like the Grant Kirkhope burps and farts music), but I am sick to death of everything being physics based and intentionally wonky to control. Figures the one "platformer" that comes out is physics based. I guess. Yooka Laylee comes out soon but that's really expensive for what it is and I'm not sure if I wanna shell out for it for the time being. I mean the last time I got something that advertised itself as a 3D platformer (The Last Tinker) I was bitterly disappointed (you don't even fucking jump! It's less interactive than Zelda's jumping). But on the other hand the last time I played a physics based platformer I got hooked on it (Grow Home) so I dunno. It's not too expensive so I might give it a go and the production values are very good. 

Yooka-Laylee is only €40, that's not that much considering 'real'  AAA games go for €60-€65 these days. Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country didn't get annoyed people that those games were as expensive as Goldeneye 007 or Mario Kart 64... So if this is a full content game, why doesn't it deserve the same price tag?

I've been playing more platformers again these days but most were 2D (or 2.5D) puzzle platformers. I guess the last 3D platformer I did was The Last Guardian... Does that one count? If not, then The Deadly Tower Of Monsters, which was an action platformer.

29 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

The game is just okay. I sort of regret paying even $15 for it. It does get extremely frustrating. The worst part is by far the camera. The physics are learnable but the camera tends to mess you up quite a bit..

I played it yesterday and the only thing with the camera that bothered me is that you can't really look up far enough to see collectibles that are a bit higher up. I had to climb the highest point to get a good view and see where the blue blob thingy was that I had missed. 

• 2 months later...

It's been on a 40% off sale on PS4 and it's on a 40% off sale now on Switch, I just bought it on the Switch. Played a bit and saving the rest for the summer.

I really like it so far. I appreciate the effort that went into having us control a snake with snake-like movements. I can see how some people get frustrated by the controls but I think it's loads of fun. Definitely worth it for people who, like me, enjoy platformers that try to do something different.

Edited by BillyHorrible
typo