Geometric Mean for DLC Trophies

Sly Ripper

I'll admit, a lot of this "geometric mean" business went over my head, but I'll trust this is a much more accurate way of determining DLC rarity. :lol:

I always go for the DLC trophies when I can because I value overall completion higher than I do average rarity, but it sucks that you were kinda punished for doing that before. I look forward to seeing what my average rarity will look like now. I wonder what the Sound Shape DLC will look like after this... :hmm:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'll admit, a lot of this "geometric mean" business went over my head, but I'll trust this is a much more accurate way of determining DLC rarity. :lol:

I always go for the DLC trophies when I can because I value overall completion higher than I do average rarity, but it sucks that you were kinda punished for doing that before. I look forward to seeing what my average rarity will look like now. I wonder what the Sound Shape DLC will look like after this... :hmm:

Geometric just means (old%+new%)/2. So a mix of old and new rarity.

1 hour ago, jaehyun1009 said:

Geometric just means (old%+new%)/2. So a mix of old and new rarity.

To add to what sly said, geometric mean is the nth root of the product of n numbers. If there are 2 numbers it's the square root, if there's 3 it's the third root, 4 fourth root, etc.

Edited by kuuhaku
  • Like 1

If you aren't sure how this is calculated you can do the following in Excel (Figures shown are for the Trophy - The Awakening in the DLC for SSF4).

X = Achievers (4452)

Y = Main Game Owners (247023)

Z = DLC Owners (38894)

Formula in Excel is:

=SQRT((X*X/(Y*Z))) = 0.04542 (4.54%)

EDIT: Just a quick note and not something I normally do but I see Sly has 26 likes so far for implementing this, if you love this change it would also be nice to click on the link he has provided and like the posts provided by mekktor and ProfBambam55 who originally suggested this.

ProfBambam55 put a lot of time into his posts and also provided convincing statistics for games using this formula. He so far has two likes. The link takes you directly to this particular post

Edited by FawltyPowers
  • Like 4

No thanks for the likes...popularity contests not my thing...actually tried to remove my profile from the site a week ago or so...apparently just psn one is removed...was gonna pm sly to ask how it is done but too busy with work...social media not for me I realized...could whine about it but have to take the advice I would give..."stop whining, you don't like it, move on"...haha...real life is where I shine...also nothing that says sly made a decision based on anything I posted...smart dude, convinced he would've found a suitable solution...as far as I'm concerned, credit goes to him so direct your likes his way please...guess this will be a final site post for me...back to stalking the gaming sessions when I need boosting partners and skimming the forums on break for a bit of entertainment...cheers...

• Like 3

This is much better than the old way! :)

Obviously there still will be some discrepencies. Would there be a way to manually adjust games with free DLC for instance? In those all game owners should be counted. E.g. the Gold Plated trophy in Need for Speed (https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/4003-need-for-speed/45-gold-plated) gets a 8,69% rating in the new system while it's available to all owners (over 100k) and a mere 125 people managed to get it (less than 1%). I know I'm being nitpicky though, this change is already infinitely better so great job!

• Like 1