Geometric Mean for DLC Trophies

Sly Ripper

10 minutes ago, Robinworldwide said:

E.g. the Gold Plated trophy in Need for Speed (https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/4003-need-for-speed/45-gold-plated) gets a 8,69% rating in the new system while it's available to all owners (over 100k) and a mere 125 people managed to get it (less than 1%). I know I'm being nitpicky though, this change is already infinitely better so great job!

I don't think Need for Speed has been updated yet. It was 8.69% when I checked yesterday

Tears of joy. /clap

Both old methods were broken so this is welcome news. Was on the Verge of asking if there was any way DLC could just be completely removed from rarity tracking. This is even better. 

Waiting for Mirrors Edge to get updated :popcorn:

Maybe I'll finally play the MGR VR missions :hmm:. Probably not though. 

Edited by Hemiak

3 hours ago, Rocko said:

Hopefully this shuts up dlc rarity talk for good

That won't happen, but I think it's a good compromise.

EDIT: So, I wanted to find how it affected some of my (few) DLC trophies, and I went to Dragon Age: Inquisition, and it seemed to do almost exactly what I would have expected. The Capcom Arcade Cabinet certainly looks better than before (you know - where beating Fatman Joe was a 100% trophy? LOL).

Edited by starcrunch061

I just went from 56.68 percent to 54.2 percent. 

If you did a lot of easy games with no DLC your percentage isn't going to change much. However if you do DLC like I usually do then there's definitely a change in regards to overall rarity. 

All of of my Uncharted games DLC trophies got a lot more rarer. 

12 minutes ago, MythRaider1994 said:

The 5 trophies on my "rarest trophies" section are different to the 5 that come up on top when I click the "more" button. I take it that's gonna correct itself over the next day or so?

Have to earn and sync a new trophy for that to update.  

• Like 1

I was wondering why i got 100 Ultra Rare Trophys more than yesterday ??

I think how DLCs are calculated now is pretty good. 

I checked a few Games. As example Table Top Racing. The Platinum take like 20 Hours with a 3/10 Difficulty. Platinum Rarity 12%. DLC Difficulty 6/10 with 15 Hours Playtime. Means that DLC should be harder as the Platinum. I checked DLC rarity and yes the hardest DLC Trophys are by 5% Rarity.

Before Update the Platinum was harder rated is DLC. Now the DLC more rare as the Platinum but not to much.

Seems the way how its calculated works very good.

Fancy way to disguise the more deep inconsistency issue of treating trophies from the same game differently :lol:

19 hours ago, Hemiak said:

Both old methods were broken so this is welcome news.

You know that the new number is mathematically precise calculation based exactly on those two “broken” methods combined, innit?

And, strictly speaking, now it is not rarity at all, but the average value of two different types of rarity. Like, say, GDP per capita represents how much goods and services were produced in a country for every its citizen, and GDP per officially employed worker represents share of such person in all produced goods and services. Geometric mean of these two values represents nothing but a fancy number, which is higher than the first one and lower than the second one. People might like how it looks compared to the other two values, but the truth is it doesn’t have real practical meaning apart from being something average of two totally separate statistics ;)

Edited by Se7en
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Se7en said:

Fancy way to disguise the more deep inconsistency issue of treating trophies from the same game differently :lol:

You know that the new number is mathematically precise calculation based exactly on those two “broken” methods combined, innit?

And, strictly speaking, now it is not rarity at all, but the average value of two different types of rarity. Like, say, GDP per capita represents how much goods and services were produced in a country for every its citizen, and GDP per officially employed worker represents share of such person in all produced goods and services. Geometric mean of these two values represents nothing but a fancy number, which is higher than the first one and lower than the second one. People might like how it looks compared to the other two values, but the truth is it doesn’t have real practical meaning apart from being something average of two totally separate statistics ;)

You can just ignore the stat then.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, richtayls said:

A rare case of 2 wrongs making a right B)

Not right, just more likable results :P Logically or mathematically new values don’t represent rarity in neither of two previous senses, but people seem to like how the new stat numbers look. Okay then :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack-Of-Blade_34 said:

I do not really understand calculating percentages rarity. For example: mirror egde, "Attain a Time Trial star rating of 50" -> 4.19%, DLC Attain a Time Trial star rating of 75 -> 5.21% and star 90 -> 4.78% Is not logical

It's better than the old method. The old method had those three trophies at 4.19%, 30%, and 29%, respectively. While not perfect, it's a better wrong number.

• Like 3