PS4 finally getting external harddrive support

Zanreo

5 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Cool for those too lazy to put a drive in (up to 4TB). I put a 2TB drive in just over a month ago, and I'm pretty comfortable with storage now. I do like that it supports up to 8TB though. But you'd have to own pretty much every game to use up that much space.

External drives are (for the most part) cheaper than internal 2.5" drives of the same size. It's usually only $10-20 cheaper, but it's cheaper.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Cool for those too lazy to put a drive in (up to 4TB). I put a 2TB drive in just over a month ago, and I'm pretty comfortable with storage now. I do like that it supports up to 8TB though. But you'd have to own pretty much every game to use up that much space.

Also cool for those that don't want to lose their copy of P.T. ;)

This is a nice new feature. I don't play my Xbox One very much, but one of the very few features I like on it more than PS4 is external drive support. It just works, simply and effectively, and you can see both drives at a glance for checking free space, etc. I have a feeling I'll like Sony's implementation better since I usually do, but either way it's a good change. I have a 2TB drive but I often have to delete games to make room for new ones, thanks to my giant backlog. Now my backlog can grow even bigger, I can just plug in an extra drive when I run low on space. :) 

29 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

External drives are (for the most part) cheaper than internal 2.5" drives of the same size. It's usually only $10-20 cheaper, but it's cheaper.

Wait, so an 8TB external drive is cheaper than a 2TB internal drive?

Also, regarding the custom wallpaper thing, hopefully this is a gateway to custom themes like the PS3 has

2 minutes ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

Wait, so an 8TB external drive is cheaper than a 2TB internal drive?

Also, regarding the custom wallpaper thing, hopefully this is a gateway to custom themes like the PS3 has

8TB is going to run you about $300 (Canadian, so probably a little over $200 USD).

• Like 1

Just a month or two ago I swapped out my launch 500gb hard drive for a friend's 1tb since they never used the storage. Filled the thing up in five minutes before even getting to my disc games, anyway, now my internet's over the limit and it resets tomorrow.

Wish I'd have known about this, so I wouldn't have had to redownload the 500gb worth of shit on there to the friend's drive, and wouldn't have had to have had agonizingly slow internet for the last week or so when it hit the limit.

Real though, this is good news, it was one of the few really good things the rivals (since the Wii U could do it, and since the Switch takes cheapo SD cards) still had against Sony.

5 hours ago, Valyrious said:

I think I will cap 8TB if I install everything I own that I havent finished. :\ And I don't own everything.

The problem with putting such a big HDD (up to 4TB) in the Ps4 is the price. Is there even a 2.5 that fit in the ps4 atm with 4TB?

Yes people could go for the Dongcoh and put a big 3.5 desktop drive to use but the dongcoh is about 40$ + a typical 4TB desktop drive is $100-130?. So roughly $140-$170. Also it looks kinda ugly...but some I guess wont mind that extra bulge on the Ps4.

What Im really curious now though is... with the external HDD, can I take that to a friends PS4 and play my digital stuff on there just by signing in? Because that would come in handle if its possible.

4 hours ago, Valyrious said:

8TB is going to run you about $300 (Canadian, so probably a little over $200 USD).

Yeah 2 of the top better ones Seagate and WD are going for about $229 USD.

Will need to save up for this baby

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

The expanded storage is welcome. I have deleted a lot of games because the 500GB was getting filled quickly, even early on. Most of the launch library was hitting the 40s, which isn't overly true anymore for PS4 games nowadays. But I was hesitant to delete things like Destiny or FFXIV because of all those updates.

I'm not a tech savvy person. Opening the console to upgrade and potentially breaking something isn't what I want to do. This helps immensely.

• Like 2