PS4 finally getting external harddrive support

Zanreo

8 hours ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

I think I will cap 8TB if I install everything I own that I havent finished. :\ And I don't own everything.

The problem with putting such a big HDD (up to 4TB) in the Ps4 is the price. Is there even a 2.5 that fit in the ps4 atm with 4TB?

Yes people could go for the Dongcoh and put a big 3.5 desktop drive to use but the dongcoh is about 40$ + a typical 4TB desktop drive is $100-130?. So roughly $140-$170. Also it looks kinda ugly...but some I guess wont mind that extra bulge on the Ps4.

What Im really curious now though is... with the external HDD, can I take that to a friends PS4 and play my digital stuff on there just by signing in? Because that would come in handle if its possible.

Yup. They're not entirely easy to come across, but there's a few out there.

For the record, I have 90 games installed on my PS4, and I still have over 600GB of free storage.

I won't play 90 games in an entire year. So I don't know why some people would even need 8TB. But it's up to other people and what they wanna do.

13 hours ago, Valyrious said:

8TB is going to run you about $300 (Canadian, so probably a little over $200 USD).

sigh. Canada's dollar is such shit now. it's projected to only get worse too. my guess is end of 2017 a regular standard edition ps4 game will be $99.99 before tax. 

it sucks seeing a game advertised as 20 or 30. go pick it up and it's 35 to 50. wtf.

worse yet is dlc that's 9.99 USD hits about $15 CDN after tax.

RIP Canada.  vote out Trudeau.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really excited for this feature to finally come to PS4. Going to be really nice to download my entire PS4 library on my system, and still have room to spare. 

For those who are interested this is the external hard drive I ordered 2 weeks ago. I only had a budget of 140 dollars, so I felt this was the best drive I could get for the money. 

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB5000100/dp/B00TKFEEBW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487527839&sr=8-1&keywords=5%2BTB%2Bexternal%2Bdrive&th=1

The drive arrived at my home a couple days ago, and I must say for a 5 TB drive it's actually pretty small. 

5 minutes ago, sephirothdude said:

This is amazing news! When will this update drop?

There is no release date yet, but the update has been in beta for almost 2 weeks at this point so I am guessing it should be out by the end of the month. If I am remembering correctly the past firmware updates came out a month after the updates entered beta.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...