Oh boy, trophy hacking coming to PS4?

angelgrievous

On 3/25/2017 at 6:58 PM, StewartBros said:

No, it shouldn't be allowed even then.  There's no excuse for it.

Why not my friend worked hard to get the black ops 2 platinum just becouse he was late and the devs are stupid dosen't mean he sould be punished a hacker gave him 1 unobtainable trophy is 1 unobtainable trophy that bad?

30 minutes ago, Phoenixgaming1 said:

Why not my friend worked hard to get the black ops 2 platinum just becouse he was late and the devs are stupid dosen't mean he sould be punished a hacker gave him 1 unobtainable trophy is 1 unobtainable trophy that bad?

Yes it is as they are unobtainable for everyone else too. If you're late, that's on you, move on and do other games. No needs to hack and look like a moron when people realise you cheated as it's impossible. The fact that this is even up for debate just absolutely blows my mind. Hacking is a serious threat to this website, if you ask me. If you're too bad to get a trophy legitemately, then don't and let the people who do have that skill enjoy their hard earned merit. If you were bound by time, you don't hack them either as non hackers (as you should) can't get them either. It's an unfair advantage anyway. 

Edited by Wanderer
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Phoenixgaming1 said:

As Wanderer said, yes it is.  I neglected to finish the Bulletstorm MP trophies before the servers closed, and if I had done them in time, then I'd now have the platinum.  The ball was in my court, and I dropped it.  I would never dream of attempting to hack the remaining trophies just because I didn't do them all legitimately when I had the time.  You win some, you lose some.

If those trophies were to show up on my profile at any point in the future, then everyone who saw said profile would immediately realise they were hacked.  Why would I, or anyone else for that matter, do anything so stupid?  Your trophy record should be an accurate depiction of your failures as well as your successes.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, StewartBros said:

As Wanderer said, yes it is.  I neglected to finish the Bulletstorm MP trophies before the servers closed, and if I had done them in time, then I'd now have the platinum.  The ball was in my court, and I dropped it.  I would never dream of attempting to hack the remaining trophies just because I didn't do them all legitimately when I had the time.  You win some, you lose some.

If those trophies were to show up on my profile at any point in the future, then everyone who saw said profile would immediately realise they were hacked.  Why would I, or anyone else for that matter, do anything so stupid?  Your trophy record should be an accurate depiction of your failures as well as your successes.

well written sir... well written

• Like 1

23 hours ago, soniq said:

It's still cheating and it doesn't matter how you try to legitimate it. ;)

You say these things like it's a life and death situation. I understand that it's frustrating to not earn trophies you feel like you deserve because you fulfilled their requirements, but that's like saying that downloading a movie is ok because you can't buy the bluray anywhere. That's still piracy.

youre completely right that it is cheating, but not fixing a broken game is also cheating =). you pay for a game and expect it to work properly. if not, there are usually patches no problem. but to completely ignore the problem and do nothing about it is being cheated out of what you paid for. so i guess, an eye for an eye? sort of. not that the developers would give a hoot if you used this or not

That was a fun read! It's actually kinda shocking how many people try to legitimate hacking under certain circumstances. I mean everybody is in this game for different reasons but this is a new low.

Personally I can't even understand going for piss poor platinums like my name is mayo, cause there is nothing to achive there but hacking trophies is another level. 

It already bugs me that basically every day the ps3 leaderboards spits out new fastest achievers. Completing GTA 5 in 6 minutes e.g. 

Thinking that the same happens to the ps4 really sucks and is kinda harming the hobby of trophy hunting. 

This site is mostly about achieving trophies and has many "bragging" threads as most recent platinum and so on. With more hacking all of this becomes obsolete...

Edited by Gommes_

1 hour ago, TwitchReflex said:

youre completely right that it is cheating, but not fixing a broken game is also cheating =). you pay for a game and expect it to work properly. if not, there are usually patches no problem. but to completely ignore the problem and do nothing about it is being cheated out of what you paid for. so i guess, an eye for an eye? sort of. not that the developers would give a hoot if you used this or not

I agree and I find it extremely annoying myself if a glitched or broken trophy will prevent the chance for 100% completion, but it's not really eye for an eye to hack those, is it?

You will only damage your reputation and profile in the long run if you start hacking simple trophies. :( Trophies aren't also integral to playing a game. If a trophy for beating a certain boss is glitched and unavailable, the game won't stop working at that point.

Maybe dead pixels are a good comparisons? Most manufacturers won't give a fuck if you have a few dead or stuck pixel, no matter how irritating it may be. Nintendo even calls them normal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2017 at 5:58 PM, ab4h4r4k1 said:

It reminds me of the old gameshark from PS1. But I think this is way too risky: the PS4 relies heavily on digital information, both from the game and the account. Who can say that this device is only tampering with the savedata?

Sony will probably add some kind of firewall to this in the next system update.

Just a thought... Someone called it a Special App that analyzes Saves.

If I knew this was a thing I would have looked into inventing and programming the thing myself LoL. (Hindsight is great LoL)

Save Data doesnt hold any Magic Sony secrets. That said, Save Data belongs to Sony as it is deemed Sonys intellectual Digital Software which we "rent" by having it Licensed to us all.

I would not be shocked AT ALL if it was a Sony employee that was the Entity who created this "Trophy Hack"

Its a piece of hardware which I personally dont see it going to remain relevant.

Do WE (honest gamers) run ANY risk of this contraption being online?

Network faults etc, Falsified Accounts and Dodgy Data crossovers via the Sony Network,.These are issues that fxck up real Trophy Cabinets, are they not? 

I doubt it will last.

Simply apply Sony Guard - A Safe Net Protocol Code thats already in existence which "Write Protects" a string of bytes at a known address in the Rom or Ram and a known address on the Sony network for a Handshake, thus denying privileged access to these devices.

Mark the Codes Address as an OTP area and its done.

OTP = One Time Programmable Area where Code at an Address cannot be changed due to the fact its OTP.

Do that and its game over for the Trophy Hack. Simple as.

Same method thats used to block a PS3 camera from working on a PS4 (exception being the Mic works great on PS3 camera via PS4)

That said, are there any Pros to these devices? Like obtaining old old trophies that will NEVER other wise be popped?

I cannot see this coming to full fruition as SONY are not going to allow such devices which could be so troublesome, they divide the Gamers and the Arenas. Pfft it will sink.

Edited by snacklepuss

On 4/10/2017 at 11:36 PM, afc-razor-84 said:

How do u even find stuff like this, and your right there like junkies but playstations very own version, they can't even plat a game like the walking dead the mugs.

Its very easy to cheat, out manoeuvre leaderboards and basically manipulate a game in general.

All you need is a USB Thumb drive, PS plus, and 3  or more people using the same ame on the same account with Network off for a short while so as to apply the "Hack"

These hacks really came into being due to earlier Lockdown methods by Sony who region locked each console ffs.

Thats why a lot of people got into modding their consoles. In fact,  I modded my first lot of PSX consoles in 1998 and PS2s etc as I wasnt able to play Games from US and Japan.

Program the correct chip, solder it to the pinouts and you had non released - non PAL games, top games too, which were now playing before they were ever released here in Ireland.

A simple Pic Chip Programmer. PIC code, pinouts - schematics and a blank OTP 12c508 pic chip 4 wires and a bit of solder disabled the region Check which also allowed the consoles to play "Back Up Copies" (Pirate)

A NEO 4 ( 44 wires too) was the chip for PS2 if I recall correctly.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 0:57 PM, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

I don't understand why people put so much effort into something so worthless/pointless. Oooooh you hacked a bunch of trophies and now you have 100,000 illegitimate trophies that no one cares about. You're soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cooooooooooooooooOOOOOL

^^ THIS!!  I really could not have said it better myself.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:06 AM, StewartBros said:

I concur.  Completely.

On 4-2-2017 at 6:57 PM, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

I don't understand why people put so much effort into something so worthless/pointless. Oooooh you hacked a bunch of trophies and now you have 100,000 illegitimate trophies that no one cares about. You're soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cooooooooooooooooOOOOOL

For somebody that you consider trophies worthless/pointless you do make a big issue about it. ?

Well to each there own. Actually trophy didn't mean anything since its inception. Like for example somebody could have gotten those trophies for me or have a shared account.

Also doesn't the PS4 take a picture when a trophy pops.

As for games like Diablo 3 and such. What about a online check that checks your character for valid stats before joining a match.

Edited by Doomsdayman

3 hours ago, Doomsdayman said:

What about a online check that checks your character for valid stats before joining

This subject is simple to fix. A string of binary / hex bytes coded to save data that must "handshake" or "authenticate" with the PSN. A string of code that cant be overwritten. Simple solution. 

On April 11, 2017 at 0:04 AM, Phoenixgaming1 said:

It's not a question of "good" or "bad". 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2017 at 11:29 PM, snacklepuss said:

These hacks really came into being due to earlier Lockdown methods by Sony who region locked each console ffs.

Thats why a lot of people got into modding their consoles. In fact,  I modded my first lot of PSX consoles in 1998 and PS2s etc as I wasnt able to play Games from US and Japan.

Same here, although you didn't have to use a mod chip, I have a dongle I can attach to my PS1 parallel port in order to do the swap trick and play my imports. I paid for the console, the dongle, and the games with my own money and I don't think people who participate on the thread can fully appreciate I'm doing whatever the fuck I want with my own property.

I think a lot of the people who contribute to the thread completely miss the fact the only reason the flag system is in place - the only reason trophy hacking is an issue - is to protect the supposed integrity of the leaderboards. If the trophy set is supposedly invalid, that set cannot be tracked or compared to other trophy sets. That's the only reason, everything else goes. Even if a 10 hour game is assigned the same points score as a 1000 hour game. Even if no trophy set is done in a controlled environment with a third party observer. Even if there is no way to prove whether the run was solo, boosted, or with a guide. Even if no one is actually being sponsored to pop the trophies which makes it a hobby. Not a livelihood.

Was pointing that out because it seems to me half the posts are toxic and seriously, you can have a friendly community of trophy hunters, or an unfriendly community of witch hunters. I know which community I'd rather be in.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ars said:

Same here, although you didn't have to use a mod chip, I have a dongle I can attach to my PS1 parallel port in order to do the swap trick and play my imports. I paid for the console, the dongle, and the games with my own money and I don't think people who participate on the thread can fully appreciate I'm doing whatever the fuck I want with my own property.

I think a lot of the people who contribute to the thread completely miss the fact the only reason the flag system is in place - the only reason trophy hacking is an issue - is to protect the supposed integrity of the leaderboards. If the trophy set is supposedly invalid, that set cannot be tracked or compared to other trophy sets. That's the only reason, everything else goes. Even if a 10 hour game is assigned the same points score as a 1000 hour game. Even if no trophy set is done in a controlled environment with a third party observer. Even if there is no way to prove whether the run was solo, boosted, or with a guide. Even if no one is actually being sponsored to pop the trophies which makes it a hobby. Not a livelihood.

Was pointing that out because it seems to me half the posts are toxic and seriously, you can have a friendly community of trophy hunters, or an unfriendly community of witch hunters. I know which community I'd rather be in.

The Mod chip (12c508p) Gave rise to the Parallel port Dongle.

Im in that Community Youre in....Great post

Edited by snacklepuss

16 hours ago, ars said:

Community has been going downhill lately. There have been some loud people who are too obsessed with the leaderboards and they've been making a stink lately with the announcement of xploder for ps4 and the new dispute subforum.

Edited by Jibril

7 hours ago, Jibril said:

Community has been going downhill lately. There have been some loud people who are too obsessed with the leaderboards and they've been making a stink lately with the announcement of xploder for ps4 and the new dispute subforum.

Think the dispute subforum is rather a pathetic giveaway, the site tracks 2,5 million users and has 50 thousand registered forum members. You can just add any user you dislike and flag him, they wouldn't even know. I know Sly had good intentions but at this popularity of the site, with a measely $5 the get-go you can flag people. People who were added to the site without any consent of their own. That's pay-to-grief. A month ago a user used PSNP API to mass track, then flag a thousand (not a joke) PSN accounts. Since the API is apparently open think of the capabilities to abuse this.

Regards to gaming, I love a good challenge. I've busted a crapload of games that many deem impossible, some solo, some exploiting programming bugs, some with communal challenges I was able to cheat with some great boosting partners. I haven't edit my console saves because I didn't care to. But if I did care to, I would and there's not a thing the users of this site could do to detect it. No one could tell if I produced eg. my Dead Island inventory through co-op drops and checkpoint scumming (which I did but you only have my word for it) or DICE. The only way PSNP itself can track achievements is through scumming Sony database and the DI example just proves the leaderboards are just as legimitimate - or illegimate - as you believe them to be. As none of the trophies on any PSNP accounts were done in a controlled environment I think the question if any of them are legitimate is a good one.

There are thousands of save game editors throughout game history I can recollect (which is over three decades of gaming). Just saying the challenges during this generation, the "trophies", would've been as much as a text file in the 80s when I played on VIC-20. Now they are PNG images in an XML database. You get a moral dilemma over a text file or a bunch of PNG images, you have a problem. It's not solved by parsing the trophy set and getting hostile over some (or actually any as per the thread) random player. Any save editor - or a save to begin with - is not a danger to PSNP. Trying to enforce your rather a religious hate on people who have nothing to do with it is.

Lets stop calling it "trophy hacking". This isnt CFW AND HACKING TROPHY files like PS3 can. This basicly only enables you to edit your save file. Say play GTA5, and get max gold or all weapons or something. That alone wont get you the platinum. This can only enable shortcuts or make the progress easier to achieve depending on the game.

Another matter is, Cyber Save only supports Asian region now (probably for good). Other options are out there for global. But for only supported games on their list/server can be modified. And if they disable the feature to mod in a hex editor yourself, and rather just have to tick options to apply something, they can control what people can get or whatnot. So will be fun seeing the development on that.

As for rumours about Sony going to ban all who uses it and such, and claim to have heard it from them, I cannot find amy source online with a statement. Not even on their own forums.

As long as its just editing your own saves for mostly offline games, you are safe in my opinion. If you start modding values that gives you tons of edge in online competative games, then that should be reflected in a ban from that certain game or PSN in a whole.

If something should be allowed, is to mod the crap out of all those freemium games out there getting 1000 of dollars for a virtual currency. Mod it for free instead if you ask me. Add same values as their packs, voila you have saved 100 dollars... Not everyone got plenty of money to spare, and those games are usually the richest and biggest whales wins and owns the game...

I'm admitting I'm a whale on Final Fantasy- Brave Exvius and Record Keeper though.

Stay out of others business online and play only offline if modding your savegame. Thats also safest if you plan to use it. Even better, play the game as a whole first, get platinum or whatever, then play away with save editing to have fun to get some replay value rather than tossing the game away for dust collecting after playing it for 16 hours.

I miss the old PS1/PS2 era when people would replay same games over and over themselves. Making up their own challenges like speedrunning, no deaths/no damage etc. Even challenges in FFX like NSG (No Sphere Grid) is amazing to try at. But PS3 and PS4 games feels made for play it once then change it out and never touch again. Game is fun but has a 1000 hour cumulative trophy that you obtain just for playing? Oh no nobody play it since platinum is so long. Thats really how it feels nowadays, seeing many fun games having like 500 gamers registered, instead of 10,000 just because the platinum looks so long to achieve.

Looking forward to seeing how well FF12 HD will be doing in amount of players and platinum achievers.

So if save editing can give you replay value, go for it. But just dont screw with others online and such. That is no fun at all. Also doing trophies with an edge in offline play like having max currency or something shouldnt be more frowned upon than boosting online trophies would to speed it up, as long as that edit you did didnt achieve anything other than a slightly quicker grind/playthrough. Using in-game exploits and boosting is just as bad to speed things up. Just because you didnt use any third party tools for it. You cannot say "im such a pro gamer and super good at this game for getting platinum on this pure online game" if you went away boosting every single trophy with others where no skill was involved. Bragging about such achievements is dull, even if all you did was sitting there for 200 hours waiting your turn to kill or do other objectives.

Thats enough venting from me.

Enjoy editing your saves for YOUR OFFLINE & NON- TROPHY/COMPETATIVE USAGE!

P.S: PM me your player ID for Brave Exvius if you need daily gifters and good friend units.

P.P.S: Add me on PSN aswell if you want a friend who likes to chat about games, movies, other interests, and even help or coop play in games we have in common or will get in common.

28 minutes ago, Cissa90 said:

Lets stop calling it "trophy hacking". This isnt CFW AND HACKING TROPHY files like PS3 can. This basicly only enables you to edit your save file. Say play GTA5, and get max gold or all weapons or something. That alone wont get you the platinum. This can only enable shortcuts or make the progress easier to achieve depending on the game.

Another matter is, Cyber Save only supports Asian region now (probably for good). Other options are out there for global. But for only supported games on their list/server can be modified. And if they disable the feature to mod in a hex editor yourself, and rather just have to tick options to apply something, they can control what people can get or whatnot. So will be fun seeing the development on that.

As for rumours about Sony going to ban all who uses it and such, and claim to have heard it from them, I cannot find amy source online with a statement. Not even on their own forums.

As long as its just editing your own saves for mostly offline games, you are safe in my opinion. If you start modding values that gives you tons of edge in online competative games, then that should be reflected in a ban from that certain game or PSN in a whole.

If something should be allowed, is to mod the crap out of all those freemium games out there getting 1000 of dollars for a virtual currency. Mod it for free instead if you ask me. Add same values as their packs, voila you have saved 100 dollars... Not everyone got plenty of money to spare, and those games are usually the richest and biggest whales wins and owns the game...

I'm admitting I'm a whale on Final Fantasy- Brave Exvius and Record Keeper though.

Stay out of others business online and play only offline if modding your savegame. Thats also safest if you plan to use it. Even better, play the game as a whole first, get platinum or whatever, then play away with save editing to have fun to get some replay value rather than tossing the game away for dust collecting after playing it for 16 hours.

I miss the old PS1/PS2 era when people would replay same games over and over themselves. Making up their own challenges like speedrunning, no deaths/no damage etc. Even challenges in FFX like NSG (No Sphere Grid) is amazing to try at. But PS3 and PS4 games feels made for play it once then change it out and never touch again. Game is fun but has a 1000 hour cumulative trophy that you obtain just for playing? Oh no nobody play it since platinum is so long. Thats really how it feels nowadays, seeing many fun games having like 500 gamers registered, instead of 10,000 just because the platinum looks so long to achieve.

Looking forward to seeing how well FF12 HD will be doing in amount of players and platinum achievers.

So if save editing can give you replay value, go for it. But just dont screw with others online and such. That is no fun at all. Also doing trophies with an edge in offline play like having max currency or something shouldnt be more frowned upon than boosting online trophies would to speed it up, as long as that edit you did didnt achieve anything other than a slightly quicker grind/playthrough. Using in-game exploits and boosting is just as bad to speed things up. Just because you didnt use any third party tools for it. You cannot say "im such a pro gamer and super good at this game for getting platinum on this pure online game" if you went away boosting every single trophy with others where no skill was involved. Bragging about such achievements is dull, even if all you did was sitting there for 200 hours waiting your turn to kill or do other objectives.

Thats enough venting from me.

Enjoy editing your saves for YOUR OFFLINE & NON- TROPHY/COMPETATIVE USAGE!

P.S: PM me your player ID for Brave Exvius if you need daily gifters and good friend units.

P.P.S: Add me on PSN aswell if you want a friend who likes to chat about games, movies, other interests, and even help or coop play in games we have in common or will get in common.

Trophy hacking and save editing is equally as bad. Just because one gets you the trophy and one doesn't, doesn't mean it's any better. It's still cheating your way towards it which makes everyone else's legitimate effort towards it look worthless. If someone doesn't want to spend time getting a trophy because it's too long, then don't cry about it and cheat your way towards it, just move on. The fact you're comparing IN GAME exploits and boosting methods to external save editing is ridiculous. 

At at the end of the day the end result is the same. Call save editing a "shortcut" all you want. Everyone with half a brain knows that's it's still cheating at its finest.